Pretty Flowers

I picked up some flowers just the other day – bi-colored carnations (never underestimate the power of carnations!), creamy white freesia, and gorgeous pink ranunculus. Instead of putting them all in one vase, I decided to split them into four arrangements so that I could spread them around different rooms to brighten up more than one area of the home and to stretch my money – so for a mere $11 I have more than enough flower power to go around. I put some in a white IKEA vase, a few stems in a vintage blue glass vase, more in a vintage creamer from my husband’s grandmother, and finally a few in a tea tin that I couldn’t part with after I drank all of the tea because I loved the color so much. These flowers are now in my bedroom and living room and the house smells beautiful!

happiness in a vase!

In the living room…

In a creamer...

Near my bed…

Pretty flowers...

In the living room, different view.

Pretty flowers...

In my reading nook…

More flowers

My workspace, a tiny corner of my living room. The glass vase is vintage for only $1 at the flea market last Saturday — I love it!

Leslie Shewring will be here with us in a moment with Color Me Pretty for more floral inspiration which is a nice boost on a Wednesday, don’t you think? I love Spring!

Maybe our flower posts today will inspire you to pick up some inexpensive blooms and go home and have a little fun arranging them and placing them bedside, near your perfume tray, on the coffee table on some books… What do you think?

(images: holly becker for decor8)

Posted by decor8 in Color Inspiration, Color Me Pretty, Decorating Tips on April 28, 2010

1. Jenny N. commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 8:50am

So lovely! I’ve never purchased flowers. I usually go for things that live long with very little maintenance like bamboo and cactus, hehe. But this post has definitely inspired me to at least make a little visit to pick up some flowers. :)

Thanks, Holly!
    .-= Jenny N.´s last blog ..Playing With My New Camera! =-.

2. Laura Gaskill commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 8:57am

Oh, this is just gorgeous Holly! Just what I needed to start off my day with a smile :)
    .-= Laura Gaskill´s last blog ..My Gray Kitchen! =-.

3. Tina commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 9:06am

I love inexpensive blooms!! great bunch of flowers for an amazing price.
    .-= Tina´s last blog ..Wednesday’s Flowers – Aloe Vera =-.

4. Ludmila {CreamyLife.com} commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 9:11am

I love the blue glass vase!!! You are a very talented lady, Holly! As much as I try to make floral arrangements, I always end up not being so satisfied with myself! I think I’m gonna need a book! Lovely arrangements you made, I just imagine how these beautiful flowers smell!
    .-= Ludmila {CreamyLife.com}´s last blog ..The Home Centric on Etsy =-.

5. cathie hong commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 11:46am

you did a great job assembling these, holly! for a great price too! i bought one bundle of white mums from the farmers market for $4 on saturday & split them into 4 different glass jars/vases. so much better than one big bouquet!

6. nichole commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 12:28pm

This is the perfect combination. I’m inspired to go flower shopping.
    .-= nichole´s last blog ..Tomato Red =-.

7. Eliza commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 1:10pm

I love coming to this blog…such beauty! Between your post and lesley’s, I am invigorated. I learned so much from you both during the BYW class and it is so wonderful to pop over here every once in a while and just be totally inspired and dazzled all over again! Thanks for that. Happy wednesday!
    .-= Eliza´s last blog ..Eliza Lynn, Where’ve you been? =-.

8. winter commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 1:19pm

I can’t get over how much earlier it seems to be over there than in the NE…snow to day!

9. decor8 commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 1:21pm

Winter – It’s so true. I never had a proper spring when I lived in NE. Living here we’ve had spring since March 21~

10. Shelley Anderson commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 2:27pm

Holly the flowers are stunning! But I must ask what are the books in your bedroom, they too are beautiful? You brighten my day with your photos, I just know we would be friends!
    Shelley

11. Brittany commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 2:33pm

Where do you find inexpensive flowers?! I’m in Utah, and purchased some flowers…ranunculus for $2.25/stem (they tried to sell it to me for $4/stem) and freesia for $3/stem. Quality wasn’t great either. I had even called around to different places, and that store gave me the cheapest prices.

12. sarah commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 2:39pm

love that vintage blue vase you got for a dollar!! amazing buy!! :) yay for flowers!!! they instantly brighten up any space!!! :)

13. Will commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 2:56pm

Oh, what a lovely post. This cheered me up good and proper! I am “teaching” myself styling with flowers as best I can. I’m taking it slowly, but I hope to enrol on a course soon. I have a turquoise vase in my bedroom and when it’s full of blooms it really makes me smile. I love how flowers can do that!

P.S. Spring ROCKS!
    .-= Will´s last blog ..{Summer Dining by Candlelight} =-.

14. Alison Gibbs commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 3:33pm

They all look so pretty.
    .-= Alison Gibbs´s last blog ..OUT OF THE STUDY WINDOW =-.

15. melissa paul commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 4:23pm

Buying flowers for your home is one of life’s greatest pleasures… of course, growing them in your garden and THEN bringing them inside to a lovely vase really makes the heart sing…

16. Shandos Cleaver commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 9:25pm

I wish flowers were cheaper here in Australia. $11 seems so cheap for so many beautiful flowers.

17. Cookie Cutter commented
    April 28th, 2010 at 10:32pm

These are beautiful. Flowers really brighten up the room and one’s spirits, don’t they? It’s a shame that most fresh flowers are expensive over here. Mulling over alternatives.
    .-= Cookie Cutter´s last blog ..The Path Less Trodden – Interview with Miss-Tic =-.

18. diana strinati baur commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 12:28am

I bought ranunculus every week in the spring in Germany. Such a gift. Now I have two lilac bushes full in bloom and I picked them for the guests rooms, mixed in with ivy and some remaining winter berries I found.

Next week it will be peonies (bauernrosen, pfingstrosen) and iris.

Germany is a celebration of spring. You FEEL spring in Germany, with the arrival of strawberries and white asparagus, sitting outside after the long winter.

I love your little flower vases! Little splashes of color and joy everywhere.
    .-= diana strinati baur´s last blog ..Wednesday Morning Status Report – New Room =-.

19. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 8:34am

Ooh….you see what I mean? You are stellar my dear, just such beautiful & sweet arrangements, gorgeous styling and so very inviting. You have most definitely inspired me today and ooh…what do you think of “etc.”? I was SO excited to get a copy and am really loving it! Have a great thursday sweet Holly!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Cheap & Chic: A reunion =-.

20. decor8 commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 9:06am

Melissa honey what is etc.?

21. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 9:07am

Oh! :) The Sibella Court book in the last photo…:) Sorry hun!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Cheap & Chic: A reunion =-.

22. Leigha commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 11:00am

Love that stack of books near your bed. So pretty.
    .-= Leigha´s last blog ..Oh, those walls, too… =-.

23. Brigitte commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 2:34pm

Yay! This is my weekly routine, but I’ve let it lapse while in the midst of renovations. I’m so busy hammering and tiling and painting, I don’t even have time to clean lately.
    .-= Brigitte´s last blog ..Housekeeping =-.

24. Lis commented
    April 30th, 2010 at 10:11am

*seriously*- beautiful, thank you for sharing….

25. Christina commented
    May 3rd, 2010 at 8:54am

i buy myself flowers each week. it’s one of the most beautiful things, i can do for myself.
    such a lovely and inspiring post.
    : )
    .-= Christina´s last blog ..the essence of love =-.

26. missdoublekiss commented
    May 7th, 2010 at 11:08pm

Those are pretty.

27. Tanya commented
    May 8th, 2010 at 8:52pm

Great choices! I love fresh flowers
    .-= Tanya´s last blog ..Recently in My Camera and Now Onto My Computer =-.

28. Gwyneth commented
    May 17th, 2010 at 11:42am

Really gorgeous! Great idea to split the flowers into 4 bouquets! Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing, sweetie! Gwyn

29. DUEALBERI commented
    September 3rd, 2011 at 7:09pm

very pretty!
    DUEALBERI´s last blog post ..Mon Amie la Rose

30. Steve commented
    November 19th, 2013 at 10:56am

Beautiful! Specially the pink rose…I love that one…It best suits with the pink vase..Lovely blog for the flower lovers like me…,background pictures are too good.