Color Inspiration

Pretty Flowers

April 28, 2010

I picked up some flowers just the other day – bi-colored carnations (never underestimate the power of carnations!), creamy white freesia, and gorgeous pink ranunculus. Instead of putting them all in one vase, I decided to split them into four arrangements so that I could spread them around different rooms to brighten up more than one area of the home and to stretch my money – so for a mere $11 I have more than enough flower power to go around. I put some in a white IKEA vase, a few stems in a vintage blue glass vase, more in a vintage creamer from my husband’s grandmother, and finally a few in a tea tin that I couldn’t part with after I drank all of the tea because I loved the color so much. These flowers are now in my bedroom and living room and the house smells beautiful!

Pretty Flowers

In the living room…

Pretty Flowers

Near my bed…

Pretty Flowers

In the living room, different view.

Pretty Flowers

In my reading nook…

Pretty Flowers

My workspace, a tiny corner of my living room. The glass vase is vintage for only $1 at the flea market last Saturday — I love it!

Leslie Shewring will be here with us in a moment with Color Me Pretty for more floral inspiration which is a nice boost on a Wednesday, don’t you think? I love Spring!

Maybe our flower posts today will inspire you to pick up some inexpensive blooms and go home and have a little fun arranging them and placing them bedside, near your perfume tray, on the coffee table on some books… What do you think?

(images: holly becker for decor8)

You Might Also Like

30 Comments

• Reply Jenny N. April 28, 2010 at 8:50 am

So lovely! I’ve never purchased flowers. I usually go for things that live long with very little maintenance like bamboo and cactus, hehe. But this post has definitely inspired me to at least make a little visit to pick up some flowers. :)

Thanks, Holly!
    .-= Jenny N.´s last blog ..Playing With My New Camera! =-.

• Reply Laura Gaskill April 28, 2010 at 8:57 am

Oh, this is just gorgeous Holly! Just what I needed to start off my day with a smile :)
    .-= Laura Gaskill´s last blog ..My Gray Kitchen! =-.

• Reply Tina April 28, 2010 at 9:06 am

I love inexpensive blooms!! great bunch of flowers for an amazing price.
    .-= Tina´s last blog ..Wednesday’s Flowers – Aloe Vera =-.

• Reply Ludmila {CreamyLife.com} April 28, 2010 at 9:11 am

I love the blue glass vase!!! You are a very talented lady, Holly! As much as I try to make floral arrangements, I always end up not being so satisfied with myself! I think I’m gonna need a book! Lovely arrangements you made, I just imagine how these beautiful flowers smell!
    .-= Ludmila {CreamyLife.com}´s last blog ..The Home Centric on Etsy =-.

• Reply cathie hong April 28, 2010 at 11:46 am

you did a great job assembling these, holly! for a great price too! i bought one bundle of white mums from the farmers market for $4 on saturday & split them into 4 different glass jars/vases. so much better than one big bouquet!

• Reply nichole April 28, 2010 at 12:28 pm

This is the perfect combination. I’m inspired to go flower shopping.
    .-= nichole´s last blog ..Tomato Red =-.

• Reply Eliza April 28, 2010 at 1:10 pm

I love coming to this blog…such beauty! Between your post and lesley’s, I am invigorated. I learned so much from you both during the BYW class and it is so wonderful to pop over here every once in a while and just be totally inspired and dazzled all over again! Thanks for that. Happy wednesday!
    .-= Eliza´s last blog ..Eliza Lynn, Where’ve you been? =-.

• Reply winter April 28, 2010 at 1:19 pm

I can’t get over how much earlier it seems to be over there than in the NE…snow to day!

• Reply decor8 April 28, 2010 at 1:21 pm

Winter – It’s so true. I never had a proper spring when I lived in NE. Living here we’ve had spring since March 21~

• Reply Shelley Anderson April 28, 2010 at 2:27 pm

Holly the flowers are stunning! But I must ask what are the books in your bedroom, they too are beautiful? You brighten my day with your photos, I just know we would be friends!
    Shelley

• Reply Brittany April 28, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Where do you find inexpensive flowers?! I’m in Utah, and purchased some flowers…ranunculus for $2.25/stem (they tried to sell it to me for $4/stem) and freesia for $3/stem. Quality wasn’t great either. I had even called around to different places, and that store gave me the cheapest prices.

• Reply sarah April 28, 2010 at 2:39 pm

love that vintage blue vase you got for a dollar!! amazing buy!! :) yay for flowers!!! they instantly brighten up any space!!! :)

• Reply Will April 28, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Oh, what a lovely post. This cheered me up good and proper! I am “teaching” myself styling with flowers as best I can. I’m taking it slowly, but I hope to enrol on a course soon. I have a turquoise vase in my bedroom and when it’s full of blooms it really makes me smile. I love how flowers can do that!

P.S. Spring ROCKS!
    .-= Will´s last blog ..{Summer Dining by Candlelight} =-.

• Reply Alison Gibbs April 28, 2010 at 3:33 pm

They all look so pretty.
    .-= Alison Gibbs´s last blog ..OUT OF THE STUDY WINDOW =-.

• Reply melissa paul April 28, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Buying flowers for your home is one of life’s greatest pleasures… of course, growing them in your garden and THEN bringing them inside to a lovely vase really makes the heart sing…

• Reply Shandos Cleaver April 28, 2010 at 9:25 pm

I wish flowers were cheaper here in Australia. $11 seems so cheap for so many beautiful flowers.

• Reply Cookie Cutter April 28, 2010 at 10:32 pm

These are beautiful. Flowers really brighten up the room and one’s spirits, don’t they? It’s a shame that most fresh flowers are expensive over here. Mulling over alternatives.
    .-= Cookie Cutter´s last blog ..The Path Less Trodden – Interview with Miss-Tic =-.

• Reply diana strinati baur April 29, 2010 at 12:28 am

I bought ranunculus every week in the spring in Germany. Such a gift. Now I have two lilac bushes full in bloom and I picked them for the guests rooms, mixed in with ivy and some remaining winter berries I found.

Next week it will be peonies (bauernrosen, pfingstrosen) and iris.

Germany is a celebration of spring. You FEEL spring in Germany, with the arrival of strawberries and white asparagus, sitting outside after the long winter.

I love your little flower vases! Little splashes of color and joy everywhere.
    .-= diana strinati baur´s last blog ..Wednesday Morning Status Report – New Room =-.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente April 29, 2010 at 8:34 am

Ooh….you see what I mean? You are stellar my dear, just such beautiful & sweet arrangements, gorgeous styling and so very inviting. You have most definitely inspired me today and ooh…what do you think of “etc.”? I was SO excited to get a copy and am really loving it! Have a great thursday sweet Holly!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Cheap & Chic: A reunion =-.

• Reply decor8 April 29, 2010 at 9:06 am

Melissa honey what is etc.?

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente April 29, 2010 at 9:07 am

Oh! :) The Sibella Court book in the last photo…:) Sorry hun!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Cheap & Chic: A reunion =-.

• Reply Leigha April 29, 2010 at 11:00 am

Love that stack of books near your bed. So pretty.
    .-= Leigha´s last blog ..Oh, those walls, too… =-.

• Reply Brigitte April 29, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Yay! This is my weekly routine, but I’ve let it lapse while in the midst of renovations. I’m so busy hammering and tiling and painting, I don’t even have time to clean lately.
    .-= Brigitte´s last blog ..Housekeeping =-.

• Reply Lis April 30, 2010 at 10:11 am

*seriously*- beautiful, thank you for sharing….

• Reply Christina May 3, 2010 at 8:54 am

i buy myself flowers each week. it’s one of the most beautiful things, i can do for myself.
    such a lovely and inspiring post.
    : )
    .-= Christina´s last blog ..the essence of love =-.

• Reply missdoublekiss May 7, 2010 at 11:08 pm

Those are pretty.

• Reply Tanya May 8, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Great choices! I love fresh flowers
    .-= Tanya´s last blog ..Recently in My Camera and Now Onto My Computer =-.

• Reply Gwyneth May 17, 2010 at 11:42 am

Really gorgeous! Great idea to split the flowers into 4 bouquets! Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing, sweetie! Gwyn

• Reply DUEALBERI September 3, 2011 at 7:09 pm

very pretty!

• Reply Steve November 19, 2013 at 10:56 am

Beautiful! Specially the pink rose…I love that one…It best suits with the pink vase..Lovely blog for the flower lovers like me…,background pictures are too good.