Handmade

April 29, 2010

The work of ceramicist Kathleen Hills is truly impressive. Her innovative ideas, patterns, and overall product line is captivating. She combines both modern design with vintage in her collections of tableware, lighting and kitchenware. Some of my favorites include these gorgeous decanters below with porcelain tops and the porcelain vases with glass tops. Fun!

Kathleen Hills: Ceramics

After graduating from Central St Martins and the Royal College of Art, she established her company in 2002. About her work Kathleen explains, “I have a passion for conceptual thinking and narrative. I’m interested in how relationships are formed with objects within our domestic spaces, my work explores products that may have inherited family tradition and domestic ritual.” This is quite evident as you can see below.

Kathleen Hills: Ceramics

So many beautiful works! Contemporary, organic and somewhat clinical forms are beautifully balanced with added bonuses of traditional patterns applied onto them to bring in a fresh, modern touch. “‘My work often explores emotional attachments that exist with certain products or materials, products that explore inherited family tradition and culture or domestic ritual”, Kathleen adds.

If you like what you see, her work is sold mostly in Europe and the US, so please check her stocklists here.

(images: kathleen hills)

You Might Also Like

31 Comments

• Reply Ele April 29, 2010 at 7:48 am

Oh, I love Kathleen Hills’ work. I don’t own any yet, but it’s definitely been on my radar for a while- especially that fab “Made in England” rolling pin! I hadn’t seen the crystal/porcelain pieces before, and they’re definitely a new favourite :)
    .-= Ele´s last blog ..A different shade of green: Lime Coconut Yogurt Cake =-.

• Reply monica of hola!design April 29, 2010 at 7:53 am

WOW, like you said, it’s impressive! I can’t actually pick a favorite thing, all of them are so beautiful! The sugar holder really caught my eye. Kathleen is so talented!
    .-= monica of hola!design´s last blog ..Yes, Einstein was right =-.

• Reply heidi April 29, 2010 at 7:53 am

Those are fun pieces the dishes and the vases look a little on the vintage side with a little flair of there own.
    .-= heidi´s last blog ..50’s style =-.

• Reply Rachel Barker April 29, 2010 at 7:59 am

That last chandelier is AHmazing.

• Reply hilary April 29, 2010 at 8:10 am

I absolutely love Kathleen Hills work!!!! I saw her at Origins at somerset house 2 years ago and I’m so glad you have listed some of her stocklist are
    on this blog, My favorite has to be the made in England rolling pin!!!!! Amazing!!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente April 29, 2010 at 8:24 am

I love her work so much….those decanters with the porcelain tops are just crazy beautiful. She is so inventive and talented. Thanks for sharing her work today hun!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Cheap & Chic: A reunion =-.

• Reply sue@solsticehome April 29, 2010 at 8:36 am

thank you for this introduction. beautiful simplicity. i love the light fixtures!
    .-= sue@solsticehome´s last blog ..Vintage Wood Crate =-.

• Reply Charlotta April 29, 2010 at 9:00 am

So many pretty things, but what I like the most is her quirky cleverness. There is a lot of humour in her designs and I love eg. the double headed milk bottles.

Thanks for the ups on this. I am keeping this one bookmarked.

x Charlotta
    .-= Charlotta´s last blog ..Thank you Marija! xx =-.

• Reply Isette April 29, 2010 at 9:02 am

Wow! Her body of work is amazing, and so interesting! Thank you for introducing me to Kathleen Hills work!

• Reply natalyn April 29, 2010 at 9:05 am

Exquisite! I love the milk jug vases and all of the lighting! Aaannnd that rolling pin!
    .-= natalyn´s last blog ..day 220. =-.

• Reply Elle Sees April 29, 2010 at 9:13 am

I am in love with nearly all of these pieces!

• Reply Summer April 29, 2010 at 10:34 am

It’s not often that every piece of someone’s work resonates with me (or anyone else, I suppose)…this is wonderful!
    .-= Summer´s last blog ..Found: Butterfly Gold =-.

• Reply Ludmila {CreamyLife.com} April 29, 2010 at 11:32 am

These vases are adorable!!! I have ceramic vases, different colors, different shapes and sizes, but I can’t stop buying again and again! I guess I’m addicted to them :)
    .-= Ludmila {CreamyLife.com}´s last blog ..Bring florals into your home =-.

• Reply Nuit April 29, 2010 at 12:53 pm

OMG thse are a dream!! love the vases!!

• Reply hena tayeb April 29, 2010 at 3:36 pm

gorgeous and very creative.. love the chandelier of plates
    .-= hena tayeb´s last blog ..On a lucky streak =-.

• Reply Melissa Allam April 29, 2010 at 4:09 pm

These are very beautiful ceramics. I just can’t stop looking at them. Especially the bottles in the first picture and the pendant lights. Thank you for sharing this.

• Reply lisa :: the red thread April 29, 2010 at 4:37 pm

I love that Katherine’s pieces are so quirky, but subtly so. Just divine!
    .-= lisa :: the red thread´s last blog ..New Things! =-.

• Reply Stacey April 29, 2010 at 4:48 pm

The rolling pin! The black cluster lights! LOVE! I’ve never seen home products quite as original as hers.
    .-= Stacey´s last blog ..Sometimes money buys happiness =-.

• Reply claudia April 30, 2010 at 9:55 am

Love anything that’s blue & white. Beautiful floral plates! And that sugar cube holder thingie… wow.

• Reply elle moss April 30, 2010 at 1:34 pm

In LOVE. What imagination! The sugar cube tray, light fixture and that rolling pin – to die for!

• Reply claudia April 30, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Oh- and that fabulous pendant light with the blue floral on the inside only. Amazing!!
    .-= claudia´s last blog ..expo 2010 in shanghai; preview & tips =-.

• Reply Hilary April 30, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Splendid designs! Thanks for sharing this talented artist’s work. It seems like every designer I hear about that comes out of central St. Martins, completely wows us with their design work.
    .-= Hilary´s last blog ..Treasures from India =-.

• Reply BODIE and FOU May 1, 2010 at 12:42 am

Kathleen rocks! She was one the first designers we had when we launched BODIE and FOU 5 years ago….I love her lights…I put three of her pendant lights in our kitchen in France to achieve a similar look to fashion shop Whistles in London and two of her clusters in the hallway. Her lights are simply stunning and beautiful…Good choice Holly :-)

have a lovely weekend

Karine

• Reply lady a. May 1, 2010 at 6:39 am

Lovely ceramics, but the wallpaper on the first photo is awesome!

• Reply Gosia Maj May 1, 2010 at 10:02 am

Oh my God, I had no idea. These designs take my breath away. I can’t stop ogling the light fixtures and the milk bottles. Oh, and I have to have this rolling pin. Thank you, thank you for sharing.
    .-= Gosia Maj´s last blog ..Lost Lake =-.

• Reply Jeannette May 1, 2010 at 12:19 pm

I immediately bought the sugar holder with the blue flowers… It’s so gorgeous and I don’t even use sugar in my tea :-) Thanks for sharing the products of this amazing lady…

• Reply Lindsey May 2, 2010 at 4:43 pm

What whimsy and love must go into each and every piece… Simply perfect.

• Reply das. May 3, 2010 at 3:09 am

They are truely special and amazing. Clean but stylish. With a sense of humour but elegant….Great finds!
    .-= das.´s last blog ..Vintage Blue and Red Medium Tartan Check cotton Tote =-.

• Reply Helena Amourdedieu May 3, 2010 at 5:07 am

This is great. Thanks Holly! Helena

• Reply Janine May 4, 2010 at 8:29 am

Such innovative design + very collectible pieces!
    .-= Janine´s last blog ..A feminine touch : Tulips + Gladioli =-.

• Reply Bex January 31, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Lovely to finally put a name to some of these pieces which I have seen in various places but never known who they were by!
    Also, I LOVE the wallpaper in the first image – does anyone know who it is by please and / or where I can buy it? I am in the UK. I’ll be very grateful!
    Thank-you, Bex.x