Kathleen Hills: Ceramics

The work of ceramicist Kathleen Hills is truly impressive. Her innovative ideas, patterns, and overall product line is captivating. She combines both modern design with vintage in her collections of tableware, lighting and kitchenware. Some of my favorites include these gorgeous decanters below with porcelain tops and the porcelain vases with glass tops. Fun!

Kathleen Hills: Ceramics

After graduating from Central St Martins and the Royal College of Art, she established her company in 2002. About her work Kathleen explains, “I have a passion for conceptual thinking and narrative. I’m interested in how relationships are formed with objects within our domestic spaces, my work explores products that may have inherited family tradition and domestic ritual.” This is quite evident as you can see below.

Kathleen Hills: Ceramics

So many beautiful works! Contemporary, organic and somewhat clinical forms are beautifully balanced with added bonuses of traditional patterns applied onto them to bring in a fresh, modern touch. “‘My work often explores emotional attachments that exist with certain products or materials, products that explore inherited family tradition and culture or domestic ritual”, Kathleen adds.

If you like what you see, her work is sold mostly in Europe and the US, so please check her stocklists here.

(images: kathleen hills)

Posted by decor8 in ceramics on April 29, 2010

1. Ele commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 7:48am

Oh, I love Kathleen Hills’ work. I don’t own any yet, but it’s definitely been on my radar for a while- especially that fab “Made in England” rolling pin! I hadn’t seen the crystal/porcelain pieces before, and they’re definitely a new favourite :)
    .-= Ele´s last blog ..A different shade of green: Lime Coconut Yogurt Cake =-.

2. monica of hola!design commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 7:53am

WOW, like you said, it’s impressive! I can’t actually pick a favorite thing, all of them are so beautiful! The sugar holder really caught my eye. Kathleen is so talented!
    .-= monica of hola!design´s last blog ..Yes, Einstein was right =-.

3. heidi commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 7:53am

Those are fun pieces the dishes and the vases look a little on the vintage side with a little flair of there own.
    .-= heidi´s last blog ..50′s style =-.

4. Rachel Barker commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 7:59am

That last chandelier is AHmazing.

5. hilary commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 8:10am

I absolutely love Kathleen Hills work!!!! I saw her at Origins at somerset house 2 years ago and I’m so glad you have listed some of her stocklist are
    on this blog, My favorite has to be the made in England rolling pin!!!!! Amazing!!

6. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 8:24am

I love her work so much….those decanters with the porcelain tops are just crazy beautiful. She is so inventive and talented. Thanks for sharing her work today hun!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Cheap & Chic: A reunion =-.

7. sue@solsticehome commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 8:36am

thank you for this introduction. beautiful simplicity. i love the light fixtures!
    .-= sue@solsticehome´s last blog ..Vintage Wood Crate =-.

8. Charlotta commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 9:00am

So many pretty things, but what I like the most is her quirky cleverness. There is a lot of humour in her designs and I love eg. the double headed milk bottles.

Thanks for the ups on this. I am keeping this one bookmarked.

x Charlotta
    .-= Charlotta´s last blog ..Thank you Marija! xx =-.

9. Isette commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 9:02am

Wow! Her body of work is amazing, and so interesting! Thank you for introducing me to Kathleen Hills work!

10. natalyn commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 9:05am

Exquisite! I love the milk jug vases and all of the lighting! Aaannnd that rolling pin!
    .-= natalyn´s last blog ..day 220. =-.

11. Elle Sees commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 9:13am

I am in love with nearly all of these pieces!

12. Summer commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 10:34am

It’s not often that every piece of someone’s work resonates with me (or anyone else, I suppose)…this is wonderful!
    .-= Summer´s last blog ..Found: Butterfly Gold =-.

13. Ludmila {CreamyLife.com} commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 11:32am

These vases are adorable!!! I have ceramic vases, different colors, different shapes and sizes, but I can’t stop buying again and again! I guess I’m addicted to them :)
    .-= Ludmila {CreamyLife.com}´s last blog ..Bring florals into your home =-.

14. Nuit commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 12:53pm

OMG thse are a dream!! love the vases!!

15. hena tayeb commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 3:36pm

gorgeous and very creative.. love the chandelier of plates
    .-= hena tayeb´s last blog ..On a lucky streak =-.

16. Melissa Allam commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 4:09pm

These are very beautiful ceramics. I just can’t stop looking at them. Especially the bottles in the first picture and the pendant lights. Thank you for sharing this.

17. lisa :: the red thread commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 4:37pm

I love that Katherine’s pieces are so quirky, but subtly so. Just divine!
    .-= lisa :: the red thread´s last blog ..New Things! =-.

18. Stacey commented
    April 29th, 2010 at 4:48pm

The rolling pin! The black cluster lights! LOVE! I’ve never seen home products quite as original as hers.
    .-= Stacey´s last blog ..Sometimes money buys happiness =-.

19. claudia commented
    April 30th, 2010 at 9:55am

Love anything that’s blue & white. Beautiful floral plates! And that sugar cube holder thingie… wow.

20. elle moss commented
    April 30th, 2010 at 1:34pm

In LOVE. What imagination! The sugar cube tray, light fixture and that rolling pin – to die for!

21. claudia commented
    April 30th, 2010 at 3:17pm

Oh- and that fabulous pendant light with the blue floral on the inside only. Amazing!!
    .-= claudia´s last blog ..expo 2010 in shanghai; preview & tips =-.

22. Hilary commented
    April 30th, 2010 at 11:06pm

Splendid designs! Thanks for sharing this talented artist’s work. It seems like every designer I hear about that comes out of central St. Martins, completely wows us with their design work.
    .-= Hilary´s last blog ..Treasures from India =-.

23. BODIE and FOU commented
    May 1st, 2010 at 12:42am

Kathleen rocks! She was one the first designers we had when we launched BODIE and FOU 5 years ago….I love her lights…I put three of her pendant lights in our kitchen in France to achieve a similar look to fashion shop Whistles in London and two of her clusters in the hallway. Her lights are simply stunning and beautiful…Good choice Holly :-)

have a lovely weekend

Karine

24. lady a. commented
    May 1st, 2010 at 6:39am

Lovely ceramics, but the wallpaper on the first photo is awesome!

25. Gosia Maj commented
    May 1st, 2010 at 10:02am

Oh my God, I had no idea. These designs take my breath away. I can’t stop ogling the light fixtures and the milk bottles. Oh, and I have to have this rolling pin. Thank you, thank you for sharing.
    .-= Gosia Maj´s last blog ..Lost Lake =-.

26. Jeannette commented
    May 1st, 2010 at 12:19pm

I immediately bought the sugar holder with the blue flowers… It’s so gorgeous and I don’t even use sugar in my tea :-) Thanks for sharing the products of this amazing lady…

27. Lindsey commented
    May 2nd, 2010 at 4:43pm

What whimsy and love must go into each and every piece… Simply perfect.

28. das. commented
    May 3rd, 2010 at 3:09am

They are truely special and amazing. Clean but stylish. With a sense of humour but elegant….Great finds!
    .-= das.´s last blog ..Vintage Blue and Red Medium Tartan Check cotton Tote =-.

29. Helena Amourdedieu commented
    May 3rd, 2010 at 5:07am

This is great. Thanks Holly! Helena

30. Janine commented
    May 4th, 2010 at 8:29am

Such innovative design + very collectible pieces!
    .-= Janine´s last blog ..A feminine touch : Tulips + Gladioli =-.

31. Bex commented
    January 31st, 2013 at 3:57pm

Lovely to finally put a name to some of these pieces which I have seen in various places but never known who they were by!
    Also, I LOVE the wallpaper in the first image – does anyone know who it is by please and / or where I can buy it? I am in the UK. I’ll be very grateful!
    Thank-you, Bex.x