May 21, 2010

I’m back from London and so glad to be here on decor8 again because I’ve missed you very much! I really dislike being unplugged for so long but I hope that you have enjoyed a few of the guests that have posted while I was away. How have you been? I caught a virus while away, so the last half of my trip was a bit of a downer as I spent wayyy to much time in my room but what can you do?

At least I enjoyed the first part of my trip and so next week I’ll be back here blogging full-time and also talking about some of the places that I visited including a bit of a “Best of London” through my eyes so that if you plan to visit you will have some special addresses in your pocket while you’re there. The first must-see that I’ll share before we begin the weekend is Squint, an eclectic atelier and shop that I visited and enjoyed very much though I wish I had spent more time there but was in a bit of a rush between appointments Just look at the beautiful things that I saw up close + personal. Inspiring, or what?

Seeing Chesterfield sofas and Egg chairs covered in a melody of patchwork in some of my favorite fabrics was such a delight. I briefly spoke to the owner/designer Lisa Whatmough and also had a quick conversation with a lovely designer whom I was able to watch create a patchwork pattern on a dresser which inspired me so much! I was told that they use a combination of fabrics that range from new prints from companies like Designers Guild to vintage prints that are no longer being produced. Each piece is an original and I fell in love with the magical colorways and overall cheerfulness that you couldn’t help but feel when looking at any of the Squint items.

If you are in London I highly suggest dropping by (178 Shoreditch High Street, London) — it’s such a delight! If you’d like to learn more about Lisa Whatmough, you can read an interview that Mydeco had with her here.

Would you like to have something from Squint in your home? What would it be? I would like a bench for my entryway. :)

(images: squint)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Littleclouds May 21, 2010 at 9:40 am

How did I manage to live in London for 4 years without visiting this shop!?
    I absolutely love the upholstered pieces, they are the epitome of amazing!

• Reply Sewfordough May 21, 2010 at 9:49 am

Wow. I think this means my house needs some color!

What a fun website and blog. I found you through a blogging magazine I just picked up on the newstand.
    .-= Sewfordough´s last blog ..Snow in May? =-.

• Reply Marina Capano May 21, 2010 at 9:51 am

colors full, so cool

I love it!

.-= Marina Capano´s last blog ..Spa =-.

• Reply frauheuberg May 21, 2010 at 10:02 am

Hej, dear…you are back.Oh, and so sorry for the virus time.I had the same problem last week, but fine that you feel better…;)…and what a colorful delight, all these magical treasures.I would prefer this wonderful Chest of drawers…really beautiful…looking forward to all your tips from London…have a great cozy weekend with your better half…cheers and hugs…i…
    .-= frauheuberg´s last blog ..Let us bring the spring home…with Sodapop-Design =-.

• Reply Lisa May 21, 2010 at 10:08 am

Oooh – can’t wait for the rest of your “Best Of “- London is my favorite city and I haven’t been there in so long.

I really like looking at all the Squint photos. Their style isn’t totally my thing, but I can’t stop looking at it, so there must be something catching my interest that I’m processing. I like the fabric, and I like the patchwork idea, but paired, they’re a little overwhelming for me. Maybe subtler prints & colors would put me more at ease. Anyway, I’m glad Squint is out there doing what they’re doing – I very much appreciate a challenge to expand my aesthetic sensibilities.
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..Experiments in Applying Color =-.

• Reply Vanessa (Lady Grey) May 21, 2010 at 10:08 am

these are so much fun!
    .-= Vanessa (Lady Grey)´s last blog .."Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day" ~ Winnie the Pooh =-.

• Reply juliette May 21, 2010 at 10:15 am

wow – that looks like a great place to walk around! I truly love that rocking chair, but would ‘settle’ for a lampshade. That chandelier is pretty fun, too…very inspiring!

Have a great weekend!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Top 2 Music Videos in Germany =-.

• Reply Tricia May 21, 2010 at 10:20 am

BEAUTIFUL!! I love this style, a kindred spirit indeed. I think my favorite is the couch up top and the modern wing-chair. Thank you, Holly, for sharing. –Tricia
    .-= Tricia´s last blog ..I’ve Been Featured! =-.

• Reply ~mel~ May 21, 2010 at 10:21 am

Wowzers! The dresser drawers are amazing, and I like the black chair at the bottom (trust me to go for the black!).

Welcome back lovely!
    .-= ~mel~´s last blog ..Getaway Friday ~ Noma, Copenhagen =-.

• Reply Nuit May 21, 2010 at 10:23 am

oh God!!!! the sofas are amazing!
    .-= Nuit´s last blog ..Totally inspired by: Flowers + Ceramics… {sigh} =-.

• Reply Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy May 21, 2010 at 10:27 am

Ditto on the bench! Actually I would take anything!

• Reply Shay May 21, 2010 at 10:29 am

Groovey baby !! Love the egg chairs. I have not seen anything this exciting and original in a long time. Great find !

• Reply Trisha May 21, 2010 at 10:30 am

Oh my heavenly goodness!!! I’m smitten. I can’t pick which one is my favorite….but I must say that the leather/vinyl on the arm of the sofa is pretty smart! Hmmmmm….now just to pick one! Oh the coloriffic pain in the patooty! Holly….you must stop finding such fabulous things. ;o)
    .-= Trisha´s last blog ..Happy Weekend + Candy Dreams & Flowers =-.

• Reply Beth perry May 21, 2010 at 10:51 am

I love the black couch beside your bench! ;D
    love all the color! great inspiration!
    .-= Beth perry´s last blog ..DID YOU SEE IT???!!! =-.

• Reply Elle Sees May 21, 2010 at 10:52 am

Glad you’re back safely and hope you’ve recovered! I can’t wait to see pics!

• Reply Shones May 21, 2010 at 11:02 am

Truly, these are statement pieces.
    .-= Shones´s last blog ..The Other "N" Word =-.

• Reply Ruth May 21, 2010 at 11:30 am

Wow! This made me squeal with happiness, bringing my husband over to find out what had delighted me so. These pieces are so delightful, and also kid-friendly, since pattern hides sticky fingerprints. This has sent me on a web quest to figure out how to cover a dresser myself.

• Reply Is * La 5th con Bleecker st. May 21, 2010 at 11:35 am

I felt totally in love! what colours!

• Reply Edyta May 21, 2010 at 11:41 am

oooo these pieces are fantastic!!
    I love love love statement pieces like these.
    thank you for sharing..
    As far as what I would like for my home,, well that black chair would work awesome I also love so many other pieces you are showing!!

• Reply Tricia Rose May 21, 2010 at 1:15 pm

I’d have the wing chair, definitely – but it might look lonely so I’d have to have a sofa or two as well…
    .-= Tricia Rose´s last blog ..A Quiet Day =-.

• Reply michelle waterloo May 21, 2010 at 1:23 pm

J’ADORE SQUINT ! daring, deft, delightfully daft, delectable !
    oh the bravery, the bold playfulness it inspires. fear no color ! fear no pattern mix !

• Reply Bicocacolors May 21, 2010 at 2:04 pm

explosión de color!!!
    que inspiración,
    Gracias desde España

• Reply P Crum May 21, 2010 at 2:19 pm

Wow, this stuff is beautiful, so exciting, I could look at it forever. Hope you feel better soon, it never fails, when you travel, you pick up some bug.

• Reply mssmanilow May 21, 2010 at 2:53 pm

I am IN LOVE with the patchwork bed – how beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Reply Ludmila {CreamyLife.com} May 21, 2010 at 3:26 pm

wow so many colors!!! love it! welcome back, Holly! have a vice weekend! xoxo
    .-= Ludmila {CreamyLife.com}´s last blog ..Happy Weekend! =-.

• Reply Marthe May 21, 2010 at 4:57 pm

I love the colors and all the items look great in the photos, but I don’t think anything would fit in my apartment. My apartment is quite small and I think something that colorful would get all the attention in the room. That makes it kind of hard to relax for me..
    .-= Marthe´s last blog ..How to get started with lomography =-.

• Reply Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas May 21, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Such fun and festive colours and fabrics. How neat for you to get to visit so much on this trip. I think holidays are especially memorable when there are little local spots you discover and can return to – plus it makes you feel more connected to the locale than just being a tourist passing through.

P.S. I’ll take anything from Squint into my casa, but I especially like the chair with the silver pedestal bottom.
    .-= Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas´s last blog ..Lovely Las Vegas: Four Seasons Verandah High Tea =-.

• Reply Roseanna May 21, 2010 at 6:08 pm

I love this…thanks for sharing. My mind is buzzing with ideas!
    .-= Roseanna´s last blog ..Puppy In Training, and… =-.

• Reply Emma May 21, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Wow – this furniture is amazing. My sister is in the UK at the moment, so I’ll be sending her this link (and telling her not to bring her credit card! She would morgage her house to get this stuff!!)
    .-= Emma´s last blog ..The Lonesome Cowboy – on the road (literally). =-.

• Reply heather May 21, 2010 at 8:36 pm

Sooooooo fun…..just what those controlled interiors could use a does of!

Saw some pieces at Libertys in April but didn’t have the time to track down yet….. thanks!
    .-= heather´s last blog ..Escapism con’t =-.

• Reply heather May 21, 2010 at 8:36 pm

that should be ‘dose’ – it is early here hehehe
    .-= heather´s last blog ..Escapism con’t =-.

• Reply Tanya May 21, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Oh my. I really need to go crazy with color too
    .-= Tanya´s last blog ..Free People Blog Feature Post =-.

• Reply Sheila D May 22, 2010 at 1:35 am

O my. They’re all gorgeous. The top egg chair is super cute. I’ll have that with a lamp shade to match it.
    How did they stick the patchwork to a dresser? Do they glue it straight to the wood? Or perhaps there’s another layer of fabric that they glue to the wood, and the patchwork is sewn to that fabric. I’m curious.
    Thanks for the post Holly. Your blog is always the most inspiring one for me. Your posts makes particles in my brain jump up and down. Feeling excited and want to create all kinds of things.

• Reply Emma Jo May 22, 2010 at 5:36 am

This is like my worst nightmare in interior design …its hideous >_<

• Reply Texture plus May 22, 2010 at 10:00 am

excellent work! will be fallowing your works its gives me really good inspirations.. thank you!
    .-= Texture plus´s last blog ..Rush mat background =-.

• Reply michelle waterloo May 22, 2010 at 2:23 pm

Hi – for Ruth – here are some tips for a dresser …

I’ve seen instructions for collage on furniture with paper – printed gift wrap, wallpaper, magazine pages – in Somerset Living magazine. If I recall, they glazed it with “Mod Podge” but I would probably use several coats of clear spray for a seamless finish. Surfaces with heavy wear might be glass-topped, or you could coat with Envirotex acrylic.

If fabric will be glued flat to furniture (rather than pieced and sewn as upholstery) you could first laminate it to ultra light weight 1-sided fusible interfacing. Helps prevent fraying and makes fabric handle more like paper -crispy, not floppy. You can buy scissors which create scalloped or other patterned edges (sold with scrap-booking supplies in craft stores) for decorative overlaps, instead of straight edge -to-edge piecing.

I recommend spray adhesive. A light even mist gives great adhesion and perfectly smooth surface – sometimes fabric and thin paper are unforgiving and reveal the tiniest uneven application of liquid glues. Caveat: you must be precise with placement – it grabs immediately.

Have fun !

• Reply LethaColleen May 22, 2010 at 5:04 pm

I delight in color/pattern like this; explosive and unabashedly bright and complex! Such a wonderful post…wish I could pop into the shop and look at everything in person!
    .-= LethaColleen´s last blog ..Over & Out (just for a bit) =-.

• Reply Meg May 22, 2010 at 8:44 pm

I am in LOVE. I showed these to my boss who put it perfectly for me.. “Any of that would be perfect in a 20-something single female’s home”. As a 20-something single female, I couldn’t agree more.
    I’d LOVE the couch done in pinks… or maybe one of the chairs. Even the chandelier would be fabulous in my dining nook.
    .-= Meg´s last blog ..Days off are never as productive as planned. =-.

• Reply Penny Patten May 23, 2010 at 8:43 am

Oh my this furniture is so me! I love it, I wish it was here in the US. Fun!!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..MMCA Marketplace: Book Review & Giveaway :: Digital Expressions by Susan Tuttle =-.

• Reply Keska George from KG Style May 23, 2010 at 7:00 pm

So many colors – so many patterns – and yet it all works! London’s best..!
    I would love to design an eccletic room with any of these awe inspiring pieces!

Can’t wait for your post on addresses worthy of visiting!
    .-= Keska George from KG Style´s last blog ..G Sting Co. And Slogan =-.

• Reply rebecca geldard May 24, 2010 at 4:09 am

what a happy fun home it would be to have all this colour! one of these statement pieces would look fantastic in an all white property.
    .-= rebecca geldard´s last blog ..paul massey…..can’t keep away from this home =-.

• Reply NATALIA May 24, 2010 at 4:59 am

Guau!!! It´s great. I like the mix of colours.
    Kisses from Spain.
    .-= NATALIA´s last blog .. =-.

• Reply Jo, mydeco.com May 24, 2010 at 7:47 am

Can I just say how cool Lisa Whatmough of Squint is having met her in person? She was kind enough to do a Design Clinic at the mydeco.com pop up shop in Notting Hill, London, with Abigail Ahern. We loved meeting her, and hearing her take on interiors. Should have some video for you later this week!

Her top tip: she says Squint pieces actually look great in multiples (sofa, lampshade, bench) in the same room as long as walls and floors are simple solid colour (her fave? ‘Downpipe’ by Farrow & Ball). We say, yes please – I’d have a whole room full if I could! x
    Squint and other cool independent Brit designers at mydeco Boutique

• Reply Piper May 24, 2010 at 8:15 am

Great to have you back :) Sorry to hear you were ill – that sounds awful. I’m just drooling over the furniture and mix of colors…ahhh, love it!
    .-= Piper´s last blog ..{shake it up – week 21 scoop} =-.

• Reply with and where May 24, 2010 at 8:23 am

Great post – I love the patterns and colors and the different types of pieces chosen. Thanks

• Reply Jo, mydeco.com May 24, 2010 at 9:39 am

Can I just say how cool Lisa Whatmough from Squint is, having met her in person! We were lucky enough to have Lisa and Abigail Ahern run a mydeco.com Design Boutique for folks in Notting Hill, London and they were both fascinating. One interesting factoid; they both said their fave paint colour for walls is ‘downpipe’ by Farrow & Ball. Lisa also said that instead of just going for one piece of Squint fabulousness, several pieces can work in a single room, as long as the walls and floors are a single solid colour.

I’d go for the wing chair, bench and lampshade – all in one grey room!
    .-= Jo, mydeco.com´s last blog ..design boutique Friday fave: Ella Doran scoops two Grand Designs Awards =-.

• Reply hena tayeb May 24, 2010 at 12:28 pm

oh wow.. that is alot of color. in the home i have now.. nothing would work.. but the chandelier is cool in a room with high celings.. the entry way bench if i had an entry way.. maybe one of the chairs..

it would be a great statement piece.
    .-= hena tayeb´s last blog ..10 Days =-.

• Reply Audrey May 24, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Wowee !!
    I’m going to London in a couple of weeks and this will definitely be my first stop. Thank you so much for posting x

• Reply Hayley Blease May 24, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I am a sucker for colour and I love this story! oh how I wish I could have some of these lovely chairs in my space.
    .-= Hayley Blease´s last blog ..a moment with a little sunshine on a cup =-.

• Reply Shell May 24, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Oh, all those colors…so beautiful. I have it for a lamp..or even if I’m feeling adventurous..as a dresser.
    .-= Shell´s last blog ..Setting your intentions =-.

• Reply katrina May 25, 2010 at 4:04 am

my goodness. the patterns on these are gorgeous.

• Reply Sarah Fox May 26, 2010 at 7:28 am

Oh how I love Squint. Definitely on my list of places to visit. I would just have to have a lamp shade, and a chesterfield couch. The pink and green one in your post is gorgeous. How fun for you to visit. Can’t wait to see what you create with your book. I am thrilled for you Holly.
    .-= Sarah Fox´s last blog ..Snack Time =-.

• Reply missmu June 19, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Colors and good work!!! wahou, i like………
    missmu from marseille, france

• Reply BoheMicasa January 11, 2011 at 11:55 am

this makes me hate my beige couch.

• Reply Caron White March 1, 2011 at 4:40 pm

What a fun shop! Incredibly creative and bright – love it

• Reply Jennifer Davenport March 21, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Absolutely love the unique style and vibrant colors! WOW!

• Reply Patricia de Albuquerque September 27, 2012 at 10:08 pm

Absolutely amazing! I love all of your pieces of art! your style inspires and make my days pleasant! you can be sure, I will have some (as much as I can) at my place sooner or later! Thanks for being such an extremely talented artist!

• Reply Cecilie O June 12, 2014 at 5:58 am

What a fresh and stunning collection of designs! I admire the bold compositions and use of color – the people at Squint must be having a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing!