Squint

I’m back from London and so glad to be here on decor8 again because I’ve missed you very much! I really dislike being unplugged for so long but I hope that you have enjoyed a few of the guests that have posted while I was away. How have you been? I caught a virus while away, so the last half of my trip was a bit of a downer as I spent wayyy to much time in my room but what can you do?

Squint

At least I enjoyed the first part of my trip and so next week I’ll be back here blogging full-time and also talking about some of the places that I visited including a bit of a “Best of London” through my eyes so that if you plan to visit you will have some special addresses in your pocket while you’re there. The first must-see that I’ll share before we begin the weekend is Squint, an eclectic atelier and shop that I visited and enjoyed very much though I wish I had spent more time there but was in a bit of a rush between appointments Just look at the beautiful things that I saw up close + personal. Inspiring, or what?

Squint

Squint

Squint

Squint

Squint

Squint

Seeing Chesterfield sofas and Egg chairs covered in a melody of patchwork in some of my favorite fabrics was such a delight. I briefly spoke to the owner/designer Lisa Whatmough and also had a quick conversation with a lovely designer whom I was able to watch create a patchwork pattern on a dresser which inspired me so much! I was told that they use a combination of fabrics that range from new prints from companies like Designers Guild to vintage prints that are no longer being produced. Each piece is an original and I fell in love with the magical colorways and overall cheerfulness that you couldn’t help but feel when looking at any of the Squint items.

If you are in London I highly suggest dropping by (178 Shoreditch High Street, London) — it’s such a delight! If you’d like to learn more about Lisa Whatmough, you can read an interview that Mydeco had with her here.

Would you like to have something from Squint in your home? What would it be? I would like a bench for my entryway. :)

(images: squint)

Posted by decor8 in furniture on May 21, 2010

1. Littleclouds commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 9:40am

How did I manage to live in London for 4 years without visiting this shop!?
    I absolutely love the upholstered pieces, they are the epitome of amazing!

2. Sewfordough commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 9:49am

Wow. I think this means my house needs some color!

What a fun website and blog. I found you through a blogging magazine I just picked up on the newstand.
    .-= Sewfordough´s last blog ..Snow in May? =-.

3. Marina Capano commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 9:51am

colors full, so cool
    awesome!

I love it!

xoxo
    .-= Marina Capano´s last blog ..Spa =-.

4. frauheuberg commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 10:02am

Hej, dear…you are back.Oh, and so sorry for the virus time.I had the same problem last week, but fine that you feel better…;)…and what a colorful delight, all these magical treasures.I would prefer this wonderful Chest of drawers…really beautiful…looking forward to all your tips from London…have a great cozy weekend with your better half…cheers and hugs…i…
    .-= frauheuberg´s last blog ..Let us bring the spring home…with Sodapop-Design =-.

5. Lisa commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 10:08am

Oooh – can’t wait for the rest of your “Best Of “- London is my favorite city and I haven’t been there in so long.

I really like looking at all the Squint photos. Their style isn’t totally my thing, but I can’t stop looking at it, so there must be something catching my interest that I’m processing. I like the fabric, and I like the patchwork idea, but paired, they’re a little overwhelming for me. Maybe subtler prints & colors would put me more at ease. Anyway, I’m glad Squint is out there doing what they’re doing – I very much appreciate a challenge to expand my aesthetic sensibilities.
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..Experiments in Applying Color =-.

6. Vanessa (Lady Grey) commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 10:08am

these are so much fun!
    .-= Vanessa (Lady Grey)´s last blog .."Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day" ~ Winnie the Pooh =-.

7. juliette commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 10:15am

wow – that looks like a great place to walk around! I truly love that rocking chair, but would ‘settle’ for a lampshade. That chandelier is pretty fun, too…very inspiring!

Have a great weekend!
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Top 2 Music Videos in Germany =-.

8. Tricia commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 10:20am

BEAUTIFUL!! I love this style, a kindred spirit indeed. I think my favorite is the couch up top and the modern wing-chair. Thank you, Holly, for sharing. –Tricia
    .-= Tricia´s last blog ..I’ve Been Featured! =-.

9. ~mel~ commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 10:21am

Wowzers! The dresser drawers are amazing, and I like the black chair at the bottom (trust me to go for the black!).

Welcome back lovely!
    .-= ~mel~´s last blog ..Getaway Friday ~ Noma, Copenhagen =-.

10. Nuit commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 10:23am

oh God!!!! the sofas are amazing!
    .-= Nuit´s last blog ..Totally inspired by: Flowers + Ceramics… {sigh} =-.

11. Shannon @ What's Up Whimsy commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 10:27am

Ditto on the bench! Actually I would take anything!

12. Shay commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 10:29am

Groovey baby !! Love the egg chairs. I have not seen anything this exciting and original in a long time. Great find !
    Shay

13. Trisha commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 10:30am

Oh my heavenly goodness!!! I’m smitten. I can’t pick which one is my favorite….but I must say that the leather/vinyl on the arm of the sofa is pretty smart! Hmmmmm….now just to pick one! Oh the coloriffic pain in the patooty! Holly….you must stop finding such fabulous things. ;o)
    .-= Trisha´s last blog ..Happy Weekend + Candy Dreams & Flowers =-.

14. Beth perry commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 10:51am

I love the black couch beside your bench! ;D
    love all the color! great inspiration!
    .-= Beth perry´s last blog ..DID YOU SEE IT???!!! =-.

15. Elle Sees commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 10:52am

Glad you’re back safely and hope you’ve recovered! I can’t wait to see pics!

16. Shones commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 11:02am

Truly, these are statement pieces.
    .-= Shones´s last blog ..The Other "N" Word =-.

17. Ruth commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 11:30am

Wow! This made me squeal with happiness, bringing my husband over to find out what had delighted me so. These pieces are so delightful, and also kid-friendly, since pattern hides sticky fingerprints. This has sent me on a web quest to figure out how to cover a dresser myself.

18. Is * La 5th con Bleecker st. commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 11:35am

I felt totally in love! what colours!

19. Edyta commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 11:41am

oooo these pieces are fantastic!!
    I love love love statement pieces like these.
    thank you for sharing..
    As far as what I would like for my home,, well that black chair would work awesome I also love so many other pieces you are showing!!
    beautiful!

xoxo
    Edyta

20. Tricia Rose commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 1:15pm

I’d have the wing chair, definitely – but it might look lonely so I’d have to have a sofa or two as well…
    .-= Tricia Rose´s last blog ..A Quiet Day =-.

21. michelle waterloo commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 1:23pm

J’ADORE SQUINT ! daring, deft, delightfully daft, delectable !
    oh the bravery, the bold playfulness it inspires. fear no color ! fear no pattern mix !

22. Bicocacolors commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 2:04pm

explosión de color!!!
    que inspiración,
    Gracias desde España

23. P Crum commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 2:19pm

Wow, this stuff is beautiful, so exciting, I could look at it forever. Hope you feel better soon, it never fails, when you travel, you pick up some bug.

24. mssmanilow commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 2:53pm

I am IN LOVE with the patchwork bed – how beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

25. Ludmila {CreamyLife.com} commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 3:26pm

wow so many colors!!! love it! welcome back, Holly! have a vice weekend! xoxo
    .-= Ludmila {CreamyLife.com}´s last blog ..Happy Weekend! =-.

26. Marthe commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 4:57pm

I love the colors and all the items look great in the photos, but I don’t think anything would fit in my apartment. My apartment is quite small and I think something that colorful would get all the attention in the room. That makes it kind of hard to relax for me..
    .-= Marthe´s last blog ..How to get started with lomography =-.

27. Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 5:56pm

Such fun and festive colours and fabrics. How neat for you to get to visit so much on this trip. I think holidays are especially memorable when there are little local spots you discover and can return to – plus it makes you feel more connected to the locale than just being a tourist passing through.

P.S. I’ll take anything from Squint into my casa, but I especially like the chair with the silver pedestal bottom.
    .-= Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas´s last blog ..Lovely Las Vegas: Four Seasons Verandah High Tea =-.

28. Roseanna commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 6:08pm

I love this…thanks for sharing. My mind is buzzing with ideas!
    .-= Roseanna´s last blog ..Puppy In Training, and… =-.

29. Emma commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 8:25pm

Wow – this furniture is amazing. My sister is in the UK at the moment, so I’ll be sending her this link (and telling her not to bring her credit card! She would morgage her house to get this stuff!!)
    .-= Emma´s last blog ..The Lonesome Cowboy – on the road (literally). =-.

30. heather commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 8:36pm

Sooooooo fun…..just what those controlled interiors could use a does of!

Saw some pieces at Libertys in April but didn’t have the time to track down yet….. thanks!
    .-= heather´s last blog ..Escapism con’t =-.

31. heather commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 8:36pm

that should be ‘dose’ – it is early here hehehe
    .-= heather´s last blog ..Escapism con’t =-.

32. Tanya commented
    May 21st, 2010 at 9:09pm

Oh my. I really need to go crazy with color too
    .-= Tanya´s last blog ..Free People Blog Feature Post =-.

33. Sheila D commented
    May 22nd, 2010 at 1:35am

O my. They’re all gorgeous. The top egg chair is super cute. I’ll have that with a lamp shade to match it.
    How did they stick the patchwork to a dresser? Do they glue it straight to the wood? Or perhaps there’s another layer of fabric that they glue to the wood, and the patchwork is sewn to that fabric. I’m curious.
    Thanks for the post Holly. Your blog is always the most inspiring one for me. Your posts makes particles in my brain jump up and down. Feeling excited and want to create all kinds of things.

34. Emma Jo commented
    May 22nd, 2010 at 5:36am

This is like my worst nightmare in interior design …its hideous >_<

35. Texture plus commented
    May 22nd, 2010 at 10:00am

excellent work! will be fallowing your works its gives me really good inspirations.. thank you!
    .-= Texture plus´s last blog ..Rush mat background =-.

36. michelle waterloo commented
    May 22nd, 2010 at 2:23pm

Hi – for Ruth – here are some tips for a dresser …

I’ve seen instructions for collage on furniture with paper – printed gift wrap, wallpaper, magazine pages – in Somerset Living magazine. If I recall, they glazed it with “Mod Podge” but I would probably use several coats of clear spray for a seamless finish. Surfaces with heavy wear might be glass-topped, or you could coat with Envirotex acrylic.

If fabric will be glued flat to furniture (rather than pieced and sewn as upholstery) you could first laminate it to ultra light weight 1-sided fusible interfacing. Helps prevent fraying and makes fabric handle more like paper -crispy, not floppy. You can buy scissors which create scalloped or other patterned edges (sold with scrap-booking supplies in craft stores) for decorative overlaps, instead of straight edge -to-edge piecing.

I recommend spray adhesive. A light even mist gives great adhesion and perfectly smooth surface – sometimes fabric and thin paper are unforgiving and reveal the tiniest uneven application of liquid glues. Caveat: you must be precise with placement – it grabs immediately.

Have fun !

37. LethaColleen commented
    May 22nd, 2010 at 5:04pm

I delight in color/pattern like this; explosive and unabashedly bright and complex! Such a wonderful post…wish I could pop into the shop and look at everything in person!
    .-= LethaColleen´s last blog ..Over & Out (just for a bit) =-.

38. Meg commented
    May 22nd, 2010 at 8:44pm

I am in LOVE. I showed these to my boss who put it perfectly for me.. “Any of that would be perfect in a 20-something single female’s home”. As a 20-something single female, I couldn’t agree more.
    I’d LOVE the couch done in pinks… or maybe one of the chairs. Even the chandelier would be fabulous in my dining nook.
    .-= Meg´s last blog ..Days off are never as productive as planned. =-.

39. Penny Patten commented
    May 23rd, 2010 at 8:43am

Oh my this furniture is so me! I love it, I wish it was here in the US. Fun!!
    .-= Penny Patten´s last blog ..MMCA Marketplace: Book Review & Giveaway :: Digital Expressions by Susan Tuttle =-.

40. Keska George from KG Style commented
    May 23rd, 2010 at 7:00pm

So many colors – so many patterns – and yet it all works! London’s best..!
    I would love to design an eccletic room with any of these awe inspiring pieces!

Can’t wait for your post on addresses worthy of visiting!
    .-= Keska George from KG Style´s last blog ..G Sting Co. And Slogan =-.

41. rebecca geldard commented
    May 24th, 2010 at 4:09am

what a happy fun home it would be to have all this colour! one of these statement pieces would look fantastic in an all white property.
    .-= rebecca geldard´s last blog ..paul massey…..can’t keep away from this home =-.

42. NATALIA commented
    May 24th, 2010 at 4:59am

Guau!!! It´s great. I like the mix of colours.
    Kisses from Spain.
    ;D
    .-= NATALIA´s last blog .. =-.

43. Jo, mydeco.com commented
    May 24th, 2010 at 7:47am

Can I just say how cool Lisa Whatmough of Squint is having met her in person? She was kind enough to do a Design Clinic at the mydeco.com pop up shop in Notting Hill, London, with Abigail Ahern. We loved meeting her, and hearing her take on interiors. Should have some video for you later this week!

Her top tip: she says Squint pieces actually look great in multiples (sofa, lampshade, bench) in the same room as long as walls and floors are simple solid colour (her fave? ‘Downpipe’ by Farrow & Ball). We say, yes please – I’d have a whole room full if I could! x
    Squint and other cool independent Brit designers at mydeco Boutique

44. Piper commented
    May 24th, 2010 at 8:15am

Great to have you back :) Sorry to hear you were ill – that sounds awful. I’m just drooling over the furniture and mix of colors…ahhh, love it!
    .-= Piper´s last blog ..{shake it up – week 21 scoop} =-.

45. with and where commented
    May 24th, 2010 at 8:23am

Great post – I love the patterns and colors and the different types of pieces chosen. Thanks

46. Jo, mydeco.com commented
    May 24th, 2010 at 9:39am

Can I just say how cool Lisa Whatmough from Squint is, having met her in person! We were lucky enough to have Lisa and Abigail Ahern run a mydeco.com Design Boutique for folks in Notting Hill, London and they were both fascinating. One interesting factoid; they both said their fave paint colour for walls is ‘downpipe’ by Farrow & Ball. Lisa also said that instead of just going for one piece of Squint fabulousness, several pieces can work in a single room, as long as the walls and floors are a single solid colour.

I’d go for the wing chair, bench and lampshade – all in one grey room!
    .-= Jo, mydeco.com´s last blog ..design boutique Friday fave: Ella Doran scoops two Grand Designs Awards =-.

47. hena tayeb commented
    May 24th, 2010 at 12:28pm

oh wow.. that is alot of color. in the home i have now.. nothing would work.. but the chandelier is cool in a room with high celings.. the entry way bench if i had an entry way.. maybe one of the chairs..

it would be a great statement piece.
    .-= hena tayeb´s last blog ..10 Days =-.

48. Audrey commented
    May 24th, 2010 at 4:45pm

Wowee !!
    I’m going to London in a couple of weeks and this will definitely be my first stop. Thank you so much for posting x

49. Hayley Blease commented
    May 24th, 2010 at 6:12pm

I am a sucker for colour and I love this story! oh how I wish I could have some of these lovely chairs in my space.
    .-= Hayley Blease´s last blog ..a moment with a little sunshine on a cup =-.

50. Shell commented
    May 24th, 2010 at 7:19pm

Oh, all those colors…so beautiful. I have it for a lamp..or even if I’m feeling adventurous..as a dresser.
    .-= Shell´s last blog ..Setting your intentions =-.

51. katrina commented
    May 25th, 2010 at 4:04am

my goodness. the patterns on these are gorgeous.

52. Sarah Fox commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 7:28am

Oh how I love Squint. Definitely on my list of places to visit. I would just have to have a lamp shade, and a chesterfield couch. The pink and green one in your post is gorgeous. How fun for you to visit. Can’t wait to see what you create with your book. I am thrilled for you Holly.
    .-= Sarah Fox´s last blog ..Snack Time =-.

53. missmu commented
    June 19th, 2010 at 5:12pm

Colors and good work!!! wahou, i like………
    missmu from marseille, france

54. BoheMicasa commented
    January 11th, 2011 at 11:55am

this makes me hate my beige couch.

55. Caron White commented
    March 1st, 2011 at 4:40pm

What a fun shop! Incredibly creative and bright – love it

Caron

56. Jennifer Davenport commented
    March 21st, 2011 at 8:57pm

Absolutely love the unique style and vibrant colors! WOW!
    Jennifer Davenport´s last blog post ..Living Room Decorating Ideas To Create A Wonderful Room!

57. Patricia de Albuquerque commented
    September 27th, 2012 at 10:08pm

Absolutely amazing! I love all of your pieces of art! your style inspires and make my days pleasant! you can be sure, I will have some (as much as I can) at my place sooner or later! Thanks for being such an extremely talented artist!

58. Cecilie O commented
    June 12th, 2014 at 5:58am

What a fresh and stunning collection of designs! I admire the bold compositions and use of color – the people at Squint must be having a lot of fun. Thanks for sharing!