Color Me Pretty

Hello Friends! It is Leslie here with this month’s Color Me Pretty. For some reason I can’t stop thinking about blue. Maybe it’s all the denim in fashion or maybe it’s my daydreams of exotic vacation spots like Marrakesh or Ibiza. Needless to say blue is on my mind and I cannot help but pair it with a little strawberry red. This traditional mix can still be fresh for your creative projects big or small. I do hope you enjoy this series.

Color Me Pretty: May

I had fun gathering all my blue vintage stamps together and arranging them on my scanner to make an interesting piece for hanging on the wall or for use in a paper craft. Quickly scanning and printing out the image was easy and would be fun with any collection of stamps or tickets. I may use my stamp scans to create a cover for my travel journal.

Color Me Pretty: May

Color Me Pretty: May

Color Me Pretty: May

Color Me Pretty: May

Color Me Pretty: May

Color Me Pretty: May

Color Me Pretty: May

Color Me Pretty: May

I do not have a lot of red in my home but I love adding simple dabs of it once in a while. Like a red vase on white tile or red stitching on linen tea towels. It is hard to resist the color of strawberry jam with warm scones or a fresh bowl of berries on a white tablecloth. Red gingham is charming too and speaks about summer picnics like nothing else.

Outdoors, even the most basic red geraniums look fabulous with classic Mediterranean blue and loads of white. I also love using a little red in small art projects like collage and wrapping.

What about you? Do you use red in big bold ways or do you tend to use it on a much smaller scale like me?

I really loved creating this column for you and I hope you have enjoyed it. I will see you back soon. Until then, take care and enjoy the rest of May. — Leslie

(images: leslie shewring)

Posted by decor8 in Color Inspiration, Color Me Pretty, guest bloggers on May 26, 2010

1. Lucy commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 8:40am

I love all of the images here!!! Especially the one of the buttons.

I don’t use red very much, only in small accents like you. I like a red candle or red roses as a touch. I think it’s because I don’t feel happy when I wear red in my clothes, that then steers me away from the colour in my home.

Love your column.

LUCY XX
    .-= Lucy´s last blog ..{Dream Shopping} Amy Butler 100% Organic Bedding =-.

2. Elle Sees commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 8:40am

My outfits have been inspired by these colors lately. Seriously! I was looking at a blue chine plate and made an outfit.
    .-= Elle Sees´s last blog ..Elle Sees Now on Twitter =-.

3. Renee commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 8:53am

Leslie,
    I love this! It is so fresh and soothing to the eye – I love the little splashes of red too!
    .-= Renee´s last blog ..About Me? Really? =-.

4. Spiral Style commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 9:14am

Blue is my favorite color. I love your images, so very clean and crisp and love the blue highlighted with red. I can’t wear red but I love to decorate with it. I decorate with red and blue, taking my cue from my Persian rugs. The red is an orange/red.

5. Loddelina designs commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 9:16am

Thank you for these beautiful ideas, I especially like the first one – I have a big album of stamps from my childhood collecting days!

Amazing photos, Leslie, I will definitely follow to see more!
    .-= Loddelina designs´s last blog ..My day Monday =-.

6. Rachel commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 9:26am

Love your ideas… i prefer small accents of red over big ones and yes, red is gorgeous paired with blue! i also love what you did with the stamps … all these photos are so lovely and calming, just looking at them makes me happy :)… thanks for the inspirations!
    .-= Rachel´s last blog ..Blog Love: My Owl Barn =-.

7. Lizzie commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 9:29am

Wow these are gorgeous photos, I love the blue flowers in the glass bottles. I’m collecting interestingly shaped glass bottles at the moment so I can do something similar! Love the idea of the red gingham ribbon round the top of the bottles, I might try this! Brilliant post, thanks for sharing!
    .-= Lizzie´s last blog ..Wish list – fashion =-.

8. Polly commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 9:50am

I love the photo with all the tags! I adore “Colour me pretty” posts! I use red in small ways too. I’m not a huge fan of red, but dotted around in some colour schemes it can look gorgeous! I have used it in a recent screenprint of mine actually, just in a few small areas! Thanks Leslie x
    .-= Polly´s last blog ..New cake stand =-.

9. Caitlin commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 9:58am

This is beautiful! The red and blue look so perfect and fresh together! I especially love the buttons and strawberries, and the inspiration board. I like to use red in small doses as well- it adds such a bright and unexpected touch!
    .-= Caitlin´s last blog ..When you were young II =-.

10. Alicia commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 10:20am

I do love to use red…it’s my favorite color and I love the pop of red pillows on my couch or red flowers on my dining table! Gorgeous photos!

11. Shelly commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 10:22am

I LOVE red — it’s my very favorite, and I use it in a pretty bold way. My entire kitchen is painted bright red (the walls), and I use it in accents everywhere else. You’re right about the bowl of berries, and I love the shot of the buttons — very cute!

12. Reyna commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 10:27am

Beautiful pictures, they are so inspiring! I love that they don’t look to 4th of July ish – I love blue and red together! Like you, I don’t use a lot of red in my decor, just a small amount here and there every now and then!
    .-= Reyna´s last blog ..Sweeten Up your Day =-.

13. juliette commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 10:31am

I loved this month’s colors! Our LR and kitchen are very much into the red and blue scene, although I confess to wanting to ditch the red in the LR – well, the big splashes of it at least!

With red, I feel it attracts so much attention that it either needs to be the star of the show, or it has to be reduced to little accents.
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Top 2 Music Videos in Germany =-.

14. lauren commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 10:34am

thanks! I read many blogs for photography inspiration, and yours is truly one of the most original and artistic voices.

15. edresonate commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 10:35am

The blue tables set against the white walls look fantastic. The shutters also look great and both combine really well especially when the sun it out as in the photo. Would love to have breakfast out there on a summer’s day! Thanks for all the nice photos.

16. Jutta commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 10:57am

Your creativity blows me away, again :)
    I’ve always been more of a red-green person and not so good with blue, but now we are planning a kitchen renovation with blue and white color scheme. I’d love to have some blue and white hand-painted tiles for the back splash… I’ve been a little insecure about the colors, how they will look like, but after seeing this gorgeous series I feel more confident again. So thank you :)
    .-= Jutta´s last blog ..Operaatio homeenpoisto / Operation anti-mould =-.

17. Ludmila {CreamyLife.com} commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 11:09am

OH MY GOOOD! Leslie, you never disappoint me! Just adore your column and all the combos your making up!!! Not to mention how beautiful the pictures are! I guess I can say it aloud – you’re my idol! xoxox
    .-= Ludmila {CreamyLife.com}´s last blog ..Tall Headboards =-.

18. Color Collective commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 11:10am

Love, LOVE this color combo and your inspiration boards!!
    .-= Color Collective´s last blog .. =-.

19. Sandy commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 11:38am

Blue has been on my mind as well. I’ve been daydreaming of Greek landscapes.

20. Jessica commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 11:45am

so refreshing! Ready for this Oregon rain to end, I love these photos! Esp the buttons! I LOVE the little bit of red! I have a red hutch in my dining area, but other than that the red is sparse around here. Love the little touches, may have to add some to brighten up around here!
    .-= Jessica´s last blog ..just one thing =-.

21. Coco and Emma commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 11:55am

I find all of your posts so visually stunning and inspiring. But today I had to comment because I am crazy about blue! I just punched up my neutral living room with some bold blue accents. Blue is so clean, crisp and happy! Thanks for the great pics.

22. Lisa commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 11:56am

I love those buttons!! Gorgeous photos.
    .-= Lisa´s last blog ..Green and Purple Women’s Full Apron, Handmade and Vintage-Inspired =-.

23. sideoats + scribbles (Lisa) commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 12:09pm

Hi Leslie! Wow wow wow, you’ve just made my day! I am sitting here eating lunch (on a blue plate!) and drinking in all the gorgeous details. Ahhhh….sure wish I was eating one of those strawberries for dessert :)

I, too, love blue and just use pops of red in my home. Mixed with pops of other colors too :)

And what a terrific idea scanning in the vintage postage stamps! I’ve been hoarding some that my dear grandpa gave me years ago — now I can use them without using them. Why didn’t I think of that? (smacks head…!)

AND! Those mushrooms are super duper cute with the doilies and lace — and somehow the fish and the gingham ribbon remind me of ties! So fun.

Happy hugs!
    .-= sideoats + scribbles (Lisa)´s last blog ..Stamping techniques that rule. :) =-.

24. Deb commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 12:34pm

I never use red, either to wear or decorate, but wow! I love the red strawberries in the turq box…..

25. carolyn commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 1:06pm

what a great collection of images! i am feeling the pull of blue pretty strongly lately too, complete with a bright cobalt paint job on a tired coffee table. so fresh and bright, perfect with a smidge of red (or at least in the red family- a nice bowl of bright pink peonies!). so darling.

26. Traveling Mama commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 1:18pm

These images are such a delight!! If you go to Morocco you must make time for Chefchouan. It is a blue city… the whole city is painted blue! I have always loved red and blue. I try to keep the patriotic colors low key overseas, but in the States I couldn’t get enough!
    .-= Traveling Mama´s last blog ..young {love} =-.

27. Margo commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 1:35pm

Love the blues in these photos – they remind me of the perfect summer sky! In answer to your question about using red, I have to admit I have a lot more of it in my wardrobe than in my decor. I tend to gravitate to maroons and burgundies when I decorate, as they pair better with the sage or taupe I tend to use.
    I like this idea of a “color me pretty” each month. Color and photos are such wonderful ways to celebrate life!

28. crt commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 1:47pm

Lovely! The red in small accents is so inspiring! There is something very nostalgic about these colors as well that conjure up all sort of other images and smells for me. Thank you!

29. MmePaulita commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 2:09pm

I use little bits of red here and there….red walls are a bit too much for me. BUT blue walls…yes anyday. My bedroom walls were peacock blue at one point…
    .-= MmePaulita´s last blog ..Pretty Amazing Morning =-.

30. Julie Cove commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 2:22pm

Oh how I love blue and white too! Our bedroom at the cottage is just blue and white but perhaps for summer adding a red & white stitched cushion on the bed would be pretty, oh and of course a summer bouquet of red & white posies! Thanks for the sunny inspiration on this rainy day of May! Your shots are divine!
    .-= Julie Cove´s last blog ..Grapefruit & Walnut Salad w/ Triple Citrus Dressing =-.

31. Eva / Sycamore Street Press commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 2:40pm

I LOVE this color combo. It’s so refreshing…especially on a hit muggy day like today! Geraniums have always been one of my favorite potted plants. I esp love them in windowsills or hung on a patio wall.

32. Tina commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 2:41pm

I love the color red but use it too little. I don´t know how it happens (because I don´t intend it to be that way) but whatever I do when I decorate my home it always seem to end up in white, green, turqouise and pale blue. Sometimes (hold on to something now!) I squeeze a little orange into it all…

I think that must be my new goal; use red more. :-)
    .-= Tina´s last blog ..How wonderful… =-.

33. Marthe commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 4:00pm

This magazine looks great! So nice pictures and what a great price! :D
    .-= Marthe´s last blog ..Inspirational links =-.

34. Bicocacolors commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 4:04pm

This blog inspiring me a lot!!!
    I am agree, the red strawberries in the turquese box is fantastic.
    ? Elena, the spanish one
    .-= Bicocacolors´s last blog ..todo gris =-.

35. Mimi commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 4:11pm

Lovely images… I also like red, but in small doses. Usually just an accent here and there, but it can make a huge impact.

36. Brigitte commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 4:23pm

Gorgeous! A difficult combination in the U.S., because it can go cheesy so quickly, but perfect with this type of restraint.
    .-= Brigitte´s last blog ..Second to None: Repeat =-.

37. leslie commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 5:46pm

Thank you for all your comments!
    It is so fun to read all of your takes on red -like Alicia and Shelly who love to use it!
    Juliette -I totally share the same perspective with you -how red “attracts so much attention that it either needs to be the star of the show, or it has to be reduced to little accents”
    Jutta -I would love some hand painted blue and white tiles worked into my home as well. They are timeless.
    Tina -you existing palette sounds pretty and calming…
    Brigitte- I had to giggle about the cheesy element -it is so interesting how this color combo can scare people because of the whole patriotic element like Tina (traveling mama) mentioned or because of the whole potential cheese component…to me it is so classic and used by so many cultures…I would really love to see that blue town in Morocco.
    .-= leslie´s last blog ..Color Me Pretty Time =-.

38. Jeni commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 6:14pm

Gorgeous photos as always! These colors remind me of the insides of old envelopes. Very pretty!
    .-= Jeni´s last blog ..Tuesday =-.

39. Heather- Gathering Spriggs commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 6:33pm

I agree with Brigitte! Its not a color palette I would normally gravitate to , but in your hands Leslie, I am smitten! You could turn anything into beauty. I love it all drenched in white! I too like only use red in small doses. I tend to be more drawn to corals or dark oranges
    .-= Heather- Gathering Spriggs´s last blog ..Blog of the Week: Lella and Zee =-.

40. Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 7:17pm

I tend to use red on bold scale but I am lovin’ the way you use it to punch up a softer, gentler palette such as these blues! You have a fantastic way with color, and I feel very inspired looking at your gorgeous photos!
    .-= Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor´s last blog ..Polymer Clay Color Recipes | Tickseed Flower Palette (Premo) =-.

41. Kim commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 8:17pm

I turned around to look for red and its everywhere. My painted cabinet that holds the TV and dvds. One of my fulled cat beds I made. Lots of vintage red in the kitchen I can see just steps away. The hallway that’s painted enchilada red. A large oriental style table I use as a coffee table. I had no idea I had surrounded myself with so much red.

42. Rieca commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 8:26pm

I love RED!
    I adore Blue! However decorating with RED has not worked for me. I painted my living room red a few years back, I was into drama and I bought a lovely white sofa to play off of the wall colour. It looked wonderful to me; from a distance. When you touched the walls the colour actually came off on your hands! And this was weeks later, so back to painting and well I am sad to say it is boring beige, but at least my clothes, furnature and hands are safe from bleeding red walls!
    I like to wear red though, and I do craft with red. In fact red and blue will always remain my faves, even if they don’t live on my walls!
    R

43. Elena commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 9:06pm

gorgeous compilation!

44. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 10:25pm

I don’t have a lot of red in my home either but, I like it in little bits and your images and still lifes make me like it even more, of course! :) You are just so good dear Leslie. When oh when is your book coming out? :) I wish I was a book editor because I would beg you to do it myself! Having your images and ideas to look at constantly would inspire me no end. I just adore your work & you sweet lady!
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Melissa loves: Unknown… =-.

45. ameli commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 10:31pm

Hola me encanto la combinación de colores,las texturas,del cartón de los huevos,las fresas ,flores,botones,todo lindo.la composición muy buena….. Felicitaciones………saludos desde Lima – Perú
    .-= ameli´s last blog .. =-.

46. Diane commented
    May 26th, 2010 at 11:24pm

I love this color series. The blue and white is so nice with the small spashes of red. Love the buttons and your inspiration board! Thanks Leslie.

47. Thea S commented
    May 27th, 2010 at 1:40am

Love, love, love the blues. I like red in smaller doses for accents. Your photos are gorgeous, as always. x
    .-= Thea S´s last blog ..Peacock Party =-.

48. Will commented
    May 27th, 2010 at 2:37am

This post = inspiration central! Thanks so much, Leslie! Blue, especially azure-centric blues, are some of my favourite hues ever.
    .-= Will´s last blog ..{Anthropologie King’s Road Store Tour and Giveaway} =-.

49. Yvonne commented
    May 27th, 2010 at 2:51am

I really love the pictures! Blue is my fave color! And I do like to use red in my creative projects…it just adds that punch of color!
    .-= Yvonne´s last blog ..Watching the evening sun =-.

50. Kaj@ commented
    May 27th, 2010 at 3:59am

I looooove your column!!!

Blue is also one of my favorite colors. And just as you, I don’t use red very much, only in small accents. And rather with lots of white, to calm it down a little bit.

P.S. I’m really in love with your images – so clean and crisp!
    .-= Kaj@´s last blog ..Photography by Marcus Lawett =-.

51. KG @ KG Style commented
    May 27th, 2010 at 7:23am

I love the little dabs of red! Red used to be my favorite color growing up and I used it on just about EVERYTHING imaginable! When I first designed my first doll house – the color of every curtain and bed linen was – you guessed it, RED! It was overkill! I then started to hate the color. I started to become predictable. Now I used dabs of any color. I made an entirely black and white room with sea green walls and used a dab of purple in the room to give it that “uumpph” if you will! Turns out that in design, you can add any color to the mix – just make its consistent.

52. lady a. commented
    May 27th, 2010 at 7:39am

Beautiful photos! I love the blue “patio”, reminds me of holiday in Greece. and flowers in glass jars – simply wonderful.

53. RJ @ A Life Designed commented
    May 27th, 2010 at 8:47am

I love your button collection! So fun!

I do love red, but don’t use it much in our décor… I think our couch is pretty much it for the red in our house! But a new room I’m planning over the next few months will definitely have lots of hits of red!
    .-= RJ @ A Life Designed´s last blog ..Naturally Clean =-.

54. Hilary commented
    May 27th, 2010 at 9:05am

I love that blue and dark purple image of the flowers and the stamps…it is really unique!
    Who would have thought that a strawberry basket, something we see often was a designer color combination!!! way to bring that to our attention.
    .-= Hilary´s last blog ..It’s my Birthday =-.

55. wishful nals commented
    May 27th, 2010 at 9:19am

oh, swoon. love those buttons. i love red! definitely in more subtle ways, though!
    .-= wishful nals´s last blog ..stripes + silhouettes =-.

56. Zee commented
    May 27th, 2010 at 9:46am

Gorgeous styling and photographs as always! Leslie’s work is very delightful!
    Red is my favorite color and I do use it in our home. The dining room iron chairs are vintage red, the chair I am sitting right now, some shelves in the kids’ room, red geraniums, hints of red on the rug…
    .-= Zee´s last blog ..New Address =-.

57. Emily commented
    May 27th, 2010 at 11:04am

What gorgeous images! The photos of the delphiniums and the buttons were my personal favorites. So cheerful.

I’m a sucker for blue too. I have lots around my house. I use red in little bits here and there. I have some sweet little tea towels from Ikea with a red stripe and a white vase I found while thrifting with red birds on it. I like pops of red here and there.

58. Irene commented
    May 27th, 2010 at 12:31pm

I would love to use red in tiny amounts but my husband loves red!!! I have so much of it and I finally had to put my foot down. So now he is into Green!!! He is a professional designer so it is difficult to argue with him. He can be very convincing.

59. Piper commented
    May 27th, 2010 at 1:18pm

Your creativity always blows me away – WOW! your images are just stunning – love the buttons :)!! I’m like you – I don’t have a lot of red in my home – I love the color but just don’t have much of it in my own home. It’s so great as an accent color though!
    .-= Piper´s last blog ..{taking the leap with…darling clementine} =-.

60. Beth perry commented
    May 27th, 2010 at 3:47pm

love this hue! so dreamy!
    .-= Beth perry´s last blog ..Candyland Bib =-.

61. Leigha commented
    May 28th, 2010 at 1:20pm

Gorgeous! I just posted a little daydream of Marrakesh myself. As always, I leave inspired.
    .-= Leigha´s last blog ..Eight blissful tentacles… =-.

62. Hayley Blease commented
    May 30th, 2010 at 5:44am

Just beautiful Lesley! Red is my favourite colour so I loved seeing it with blue. There is something about a little red with some denim jeans! I use quite a bit of red in my home. I love the primary colours and find red a good colour to add into every space.

Take care x
    .-= Hayley Blease´s last blog ..in front of the lens :: mum moments =-.

63. Hayley Blease commented
    May 30th, 2010 at 5:45am

I apologise Leslie, I spelt your name wrong! xx
    .-= Hayley Blease´s last blog ..in front of the lens :: mum moments =-.

64. In Honor of Design commented
    May 30th, 2010 at 12:31pm

Fantastic post!
    I always use red in smaller quanitites, but it is my favorite next to either blue or coral.
    Thanks for the inspiration!

65. Jes commented
    May 31st, 2010 at 4:25pm

I always say that I don’t like red.. but my car is red and my wallet is red and the chair i’m sitting in is red. For some reason red sneaks into my life>>
    .-= Jes´s last blog ..I Hope You’re Not Dieting =-.

66. Carrie commented
    June 1st, 2010 at 9:18pm

I love red but have been shy to use it boldly in my home. My coffee maker, toaster and various vintage pie plates are my only red features. Other than that I haven’t been sure how to incorporate more. I think I will start with somewhat larger accents. Or maybe a pair of red shoes. Thank you Leslie, Carrie

67. Cath commented
    June 14th, 2010 at 2:23pm

Just found this page, love the bright glinting blue of the shutters and the Delphiniums. Don’t know why but my bedroom and bathroom always end up blue. I do love red, and have loads on red shoes that i just gaze at. Great photos
    Cath´s last blog post ..Copenhagen’s Antique Market

68. JoanaBanhudo commented
    October 18th, 2010 at 5:56pm

Hello! I´m Joana from Portugal, I love your work, the games of colour you do! Every colors are beautiful in your work.
    Where do you buy every material you use?

Joana
    JoanaBanhudo´s last blog post ..Convite de aniversário da princesa Maria

69. Janesmith commented
    March 3rd, 2011 at 3:36am

Red stands for femininity for me. I love this color, Interior designers and any decorators, find this color to draw attraction and it calls attention. Red is love. The color stands for elegance and class. Red match up with light colors particularly in designing looks so decent.
    To learn more of color matching,[url=http://www.schoolofinteriordesign.org/]Interior Design School [url].
    Janesmith´s last blog post ..Top 100 Interior Design Schools Worldwide 1-20