Ericka McConnell Photography

Let’s pause for a moment and think about the good friends in our life as you scroll through the portfolio of Ericka McConnell. Are a few faces popping into your head of those whom you admire and respect? I’m sure that you value your close friendships and this post is a little celebration of the wonderful people in our life who make everyday a bit sweeter. From childhood to today, we all value those who have entered our world and made an impact on our life.

Here in Copenhagen I’m forming new friendships, which feels really sweet, but I also like to take my friends with me as I travel in the form of memories because then I never feel lonely or far from home. I’m really enjoying Denmark so far. We were in Sweden yesterday and now we’re back at our base in Copenhagen where I’ll be for several more days. I’ve been finding some fantastic shops and cafes, I feel like I’m walking around in a city that is a bit like a giant blog — so many pretty things collected and shared in a single environment — it’s just grand! But mostly, I am on trains traveling to a variety of beautiful homes working hard but having fun as I go. When I return next week I’ll share some of my finds from shops to cafes with you but until then you’ll just have to take my word for it – working and playing in Copenhagen is fun stuff!

So yes, let’s celebrate good friends and good times for a moment now, shall we? Think of your plans for summer, your girlfriends, upcoming travel plans… oh the fun that you’ll have! Allow these photographs from the talented Ericka McConnell, who is represented by Judith Miller Inc., to transport you to your happy place. Ericka’s work has been published in national magazines and is quite lovely – her portrait work of both adults and children is described as both flirty and fresh but I’d like to add to that — I think her style is also very casual and “real” which I appreciate so much in modern portrait work because those Sears studio shots and Olan Mills photos that I have from the late 70s/early 80s of myself make me a bit annoyed that a more casual approach to mainstream portrait photography didn’t exist back in the day, ha ha! And if you are “vintage” enough to remember those backgrounds printed on roll up shades that they’d pull up and down to give you a new scene to pose in front of then you must totally appreciate modern portrait work just as much as I do! Oh my, I remember some very ugly backgrounds in some of my school photos…

And I guess, in closing, I should ask this: what are some of the qualities in your closest friends that you admire and cherish the most? When you look at these photographs what words come to mind that have to do with forming and maintaining friendships?

I would love to read your comments, I find it so fascinating to see what people often appreciate the most about their friends.

(images: ericka mcconnell)

Posted by decor8 in inspiration on June 02, 2010

1. Bai Yang commented
    June 2nd, 2010 at 2:15am

What I cherish most in my closest friends, apart from all the love and support they give, is the commitment to clear things up if difficulties arise in our relationship. These situations always come in any relationship, and the trick is to find a good way to deal with it. My friends and I have come to the following agreement: if we feel somthing is amiss, we point out that there is a feeling of awkwardness BETWEEN us, taking care at this step NOT to accuse each other of anything. Then we help eachother identify what the problem really is, with love and understanding. This way, talking about difficult things is not quite as scary – and often we realize that the situation arised from misunderstandings – from both sides!

2. Make, Do & Send commented
    June 2nd, 2010 at 3:16am

I have a couple of people in my life that mean the world to me because no matter how much time passes between seeing each other it’s as if nothing has changed. The second we are back together or chatting over the phone we just click and the bonds between us are as strong as ever :)

True friendship to me is something you don’t have to work too hard at, it’s just there… Alex x
    .-= Make, Do & Send´s last blog ..Fréya Art & Design =-.

3. ruxandra commented
    June 2nd, 2010 at 3:24am

Hello!
    It’s been quite a long time since I’ve visited your blog and I realise I’ve missed so many beautiful things.The photographs are amazing, they simply take me to a different place…in the bottom of my heart I feel like they kind of represent my friendships.
    I think that what I most cheerish in my friends is their quality of being friends.You know, in my opinion not everybody can have a lifetime friendship, some are not trustfull enough or they simply give up on you when you most need them.That’s why I love my friends for being who they are, for understanding me and loving me the way I am and for staying with me always.I think a true friendship is rare yet it should be cherised a lot.And though sometimes you must sacrifcie and make compromises, it might be worth in the end.There are those moments that can only be shared with friends…
    Enjoy your time in Denmark!

4. juliette commented
    June 2nd, 2010 at 4:09am

I love being able to pick up right where we left off – even if the last time we saw each other was years ago. That is the mark of a true (and great) friendship!

oh, and laughing at the most ridiculous things unabashedly. another hallmark =)
    .-= juliette´s last blog ..Corner View: From where I’m sitting =-.

5. katetie commented
    June 2nd, 2010 at 4:57am

Awahhh the last pic of the kids is my favourite! But they are all beautiful, she’s a very talented lady! What do I look for in friends – a sense of adventure and fun, loyalty, humour, people who have opinions and dreams, and I think as I’ve got older and ended up living away from home I’ve begun to value what I guess is a homeliness in people – the ability to pick up where you left off without the awkwardness wether you saw each other a week ago of if you haven’t spoken to the person 6 months – those friends are extra special!
    .-= katetie´s last blog ..Spreading the Love! =-.

6. Kaili commented
    June 2nd, 2010 at 6:31am

Such gorgeous gorgeous photography! I love her work.

I appreciate friends who are real and down to earth. No pretences or charades. I like friends who can walk in the door and make themselves at home :)

Thanks for sharing your wonderful finds Holly!

xx
    .-= Kaili´s last blog ..Little Masterpieces =-.

7. Tamara commented
    June 2nd, 2010 at 6:36am

What lovely portraits, especially the ones that have captured the kids’ youthful energy. They make me happy by just looking at them… in the way that friends make me happy by just thinking about them, especially friends who live far away that I don’t see often. I laughed when you mentioned rolled up ‘shade’ backgrounds – I’m so vintage my school didn’t offer ‘retouching minor skin blemishes’ like some offer today!
    .-= Tamara´s last blog ..Hand cut papercut of rose – off white colour OOAK original =-.

8. Julie commented
    June 2nd, 2010 at 6:44am

Reminds me of my dearest friend and I…we are in our 30′s now and as kids we grew up together and even walked to kindergarten together. We were on the phone last night, and it’s always the same “catching up on our day” kind of conversation…the phone doesn’t get hung up before we are doubled over in laughter! Nothing is better than a good laugh with an old friend who really “gets you”.

9. KG @ KG Style commented
    June 2nd, 2010 at 7:11am

These are lovely lovely photographs! I’ve never really been a fan of “People” photography but these are just splendid. What I liked most is the post. As I was reading, I thought of the special people in my life!

Thanks for the pictures and great blog post!
    .-= KG @ KG Style´s last blog ..FOLLOW US to WIN a FREE CLOSET MAKEOVER! =-.

10. Katie commented
    June 2nd, 2010 at 7:14am

I am DYING to find pants like the ones the beautiful children are wearing (standing in a row). Anyone have any idea where I can find something similar for my nephew??

11. Candice Hope commented
    June 2nd, 2010 at 8:34am

Yes, I agree those old 70′s/80′s portraits were pretty horrible. Luckily my dad was into photography and we have lots of family snap shots. He either definitely has “the eye” or definitely has “the luck” of hitting that shutter right at the perfect moment.
    These photographs are wonderfully whimsical in a realistic way. They feel cozy and personal.

My best friend and I have been close since we were 3 years old (we are now 30!) Something I love so much (and admire because I don’t think I’m great at it) is when you have a conversation with a friend about no big deal stuff and weeks later they ask about it again, and you’ve already forgotten that you ever talked about it. Just shows that the friend was listening and also cares.
    .-= Candice Hope´s last blog ..An update in pictures =-.

12. tracy wilton commented
    June 2nd, 2010 at 8:51am

wow, these photos are absolutely beautiful. when i look at these photos it makes me think of how easy it is to see the beauty in a good friend…not necessarily physical beauty, but beauty that can be captured in a photograph, nonetheless.

13. theaxx commented
    June 2nd, 2010 at 8:51am

hmmm… good question.

The best of my friends somehow remind me that no matter what my current trauma or issues or moment I’m going through… when I’m with them… life slips into perspective… the leaves sway more gently, the sky is more shimmery and I know, with them there… deep in my heart that everything will be okay. Even if it’s not okay… it will be okay… you know?

hehe… gorgeous images to inspire happy thoughts…

thea.
    xx
    .-= theaxx´s last blog ..“Best of the MCA zine fair!” =-.

14. Daniella commented
    June 2nd, 2010 at 8:59am

Oh I love these! The bike image is so cute…

I love that my best friend totally always knows what I’m talking about, even if i’m being super sarcastic. We can joke around with each other knowing we’re both just joking! It can be super funny at times…

15. ana commented
    June 2nd, 2010 at 9:28am

I simply love these pictures. That’s how i like to take pictures of my friends and family. Although my family doesn’t understand it very well :) They prefer everybody posing

What i admire in my friends is their honesty, it’s know that I can always count on them even if just to talk, most of them are my friends for a long time, we live in different cities so we see each other from time to time, but i always have that feeling that it was yesterday.

I’m glad you’re enjoying Denmark. I would love to go there

ana

16. Jessica commented
    June 2nd, 2010 at 10:22am

My very best friend is quite impulsive and carefree! I love that about her, though I always use a pencil to write her newest info in my address book. Being very much a homebody and loathing moving, I live vicariously through her…in Hawaii, San Jose, North Carolina, LA, Seattle…

I admire her ability to be so flexible and so unencumbered by ‘things’. I love her sense of humor and we giggle like 16 yr olds all the time! Sigh, this is making me want to have some coffee and chat with her right now….

Making new friends is an interesting process. With age comes an increased recognition of yourself in others and also knowledge of what qualities are desirable in a friend. I’m much better at weeding out the ‘so so’ friends than I used to be!
    .-= Jessica´s last blog ..tillandsia – tiny terrariums =-.

17. karen cheung commented
    June 2nd, 2010 at 11:21am

Holly, I am always so inspired by the way that you use the things that inspire you to ask questions about yourself and other people, how these images made you think of friends and friendship.

The quality that I love best, and have recognised in all my very best friends, is that they do not judge you, and simply love you for who you are. I never feel like I am under scrutiny when I am with them and can be entirely myself. That’s the best gift any friend can give.
    .-= karen cheung´s last blog ..Copenhagen carpenter’s shop =-.

18. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    June 2nd, 2010 at 11:35am

Oh….these are so lovely. And yes, I remember all of those AWFUL posed shots from the 70′s and 80′s! Eek. I love ones like these so much more….and qualities I look for in my dearest friends? A really great sense of humor about life in general(and themselves), kindness, sense of fun and playfulness and then there is that ephemeral thing that I can’t pin down but, I just know when it is there & that is when you find someone you can feel at ease with. Nothing is too difficult…and you always have fun together & they are there when you need them most. What would we do without them, right? Hope you are having a wonderful time hun. What do you look for in your friends?
    xo
    Melis
    .-= Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog ..Melissa loves: Eva Juliet =-.

19. Lisa P. commented
    June 2nd, 2010 at 12:23pm

Have you checked out the shop Brinja Kopenhavn? I follow her blog and it looks like it would be an interesting shop. Here’s the web address in case you are interested: http://brinja.wordpress.com/2010/06/02/family-portrait/

20. Adri commented
    June 2nd, 2010 at 12:34pm

Some of these pictures are so fun, which is one of my favorite things about my closest friends: being with them is fun. They always know how to make me laugh. And I could tell them anything without worrying about being judged and know that they will tell me what I need to hear, whether I like what they say or not.
    .-= Adri´s last blog ..Tutorial Tuesday: Dressing up a Tshirt =-.

21. SuzyQ commented
    June 2nd, 2010 at 2:10pm

Loyalty, the ability to tell me the truth when I need to hear it, randomness, kindness, wit, and the willingness to help each other move/remodel. That last one seems to perpetually be happening in my circle of friends…

22. Karen commented
    June 2nd, 2010 at 2:31pm

Great pictures! One of the best qualities is maybe not a quality as such but the feeling of sitting down with a good friend you have not seen for a while and it’s like no day has passed. You just continue where you left of and ‘get’ each other. Wonderful.

Hope you go to see Louisiana, Glyptoteket and Tivoli (especially in the evening when all the lights come on – magical!) in Denmark. And visit Illum’s Bolighus as well as Indiska to browse. Most of all, enjoy the colourful houses at Nyhavn (and a more hidden road called Olufsvej across town) and take a Netto-boat trip if the weather is good (although the little mermaid is in China now for the world exhibition; but plenty more beautiful houses to see). Hm, you might need more time… :-)

23. Christine commented
    June 2nd, 2010 at 5:56pm

What a sweet post : ) These images are beautiful…

My friends (and family) mean the world to me. I know I can 100% be myself around them and they’ll love me no matter what – and I’ll love them too, of course!!

24. Gloria commented
    June 2nd, 2010 at 8:45pm

Those pictures are beautiful. I had to comment.
    I love how interesting and real my friends are… they are passionate people who try purposely to grow and become better. They make me better as a result. I love listening to great stories and it seems that those that aren’t afraid to push the envelope a little bit have the best stories.

25. cristin @ simplified bee commented
    June 2nd, 2010 at 9:33pm

clearly talented photographer and a way with children.

great post!
    .-= cristin @ simplified bee´s last blog ..Liz Levin Nesting – Your Kid-Friendly Furnishing Resource & Special Discount =-.

26. Tina commented
    June 3rd, 2010 at 12:46am

How fun – I just found your blog and really enjoy all the posts and beautiful photos. I´m actually from Denmark, Copenhagen – I hope you enjoy your stay over here.
    ~ Tina

27. cara commented
    June 3rd, 2010 at 2:07am

loved the feelings evoked by these photographs. (also loved reading the comments)

i often times think about friendships. i move around a lot so i maintain childhood friendships long distance mostly and pine for close friendships closer to home. time is a big point for me, though not a prerequisite. it’s just nice to have known someone for a long while. i am terribly bashful (though outgoing) so it’s been more difficult to make friends as an adult, and now as a mother.

i love honesty, creativity, love, and laughing. common interests is very nice. and someone who can converse easily but is okay with silence. i often miss the idea of someone coming over more times than not during the week and flipping through a magazine while i work on some sewing or watch a movie….without necessarily engaging, just being.

28. Somnia commented
    June 3rd, 2010 at 2:28am

The thing that I admire in my closest friends is how they can help me to feel my self. With them I always feel that I m in home and that everything is possible.

These pictures remember my friendship because they are simple and full of life… and since I m living in Sweden, in Malmo, so close to Copenhaguem I feel this atmosphere on the people… that they enjoy so much be with people that they love…

Your pictures reflected what I felt all the time that I look to the swedish or danish…
    .-= Somnia´s last blog .."A plataforma desta estação é a vida": encontro de Sonildes e Françoise =-.

29. soisses commented
    June 3rd, 2010 at 2:31am

she really does a great job! i like her pictures a lot!
    .-= soisses´s last blog ..verliebt in "we love LIVING" =-.

30. Hayley Blease commented
    June 3rd, 2010 at 7:10am

I am in love with this post! I love every image….amazing photography, and I love the fact you have allowed us to read your words and think about our friends and what they mean.

I have one particular girlfriend and she means family to me. I have no mum or dad, and my sister and I do not have that relationship. My lovely girlfriend is there for me like my mum used to be. I can sometimes call her twice a day and it will be over nothing….like what I am eating for lunch! I love the fact I have found a girlfriend that has allowed my mum phone calls to still happen. Although I will have to let her know that my mum used to say, “what do you want now?!” when she answered the phone!

I am now building new friendships to grow my family. It is a lovely feeling!

thanks holly! it is nice to reflect on the friendships we have. x
    .-= Hayley Blease´s last blog ..body issues :: little people =-.

31. Sarah M. Winchester commented
    June 3rd, 2010 at 3:18pm

I absolutely love these photographs! Thank you.
    .-= Sarah M. Winchester´s last blog ..Flock Boston =-.

32. Mandy commented
    June 4th, 2010 at 1:37am

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I’m a fan.

33. Annie commented
    June 6th, 2010 at 2:20am

Re: friends.

Fun, laughter, generosity, kindness.

What more do you need?

34. Raw Queen commented
    June 6th, 2010 at 8:15pm

Give thanks for a gorgeous post. And I really enjoyed your interview with Kelly Rae. Love the emphasis on authenticity, especially re: blogging. Do what you love the rest will follow… In gratitude for the beauty, Rawqueen

35. Vari commented
    June 7th, 2010 at 4:12am

Beautiful images! You can see the beauty in every single one. I love how natural they are.

Vari @ Buttercup Ink xx

.-= Vari´s last blog ..Gabriel’s Bedroom Makeover =-.