Martensen Jones Interiors

I recently had a chat with Jan from Martensen Jones Interiors and she arranged to have all of these beautiful images from their portfolio sent my way to inspire decor8 readers today. I also asked her a few questions about Martensen Jones in Dallas, which has been in practice for four years, to learn more about this design studio and so you can find my questions and her replies below.

Manny Rodriques

Manny Rodriques

First, a little about the lovely ladies behind the firm. “Lisa Martensen and Jan Jones have each worked in the advertising, editorial, and retail industry for over 25 years as make-up, fashion, and interior stylists. Lisa has a degree in Interior Design and Jan has a BFA in Art History.”

Steve Karlisch

What inspires you both? FASHION! Also movies, travel… staying in beautifully designed hotels, museums, architecture, nature: the colors of the sky and water. Who are some of your favorite interior designers? Vincente Wolf, John Saladino, Susan Ferrier, Suzanne Kasler, Thomas O’Brien, David Hicks, Billy Baldwin, Michael Taylor and John Dickinson.

Steve Karlisch

Steve Karlisch

What are some quick design tips you can give decor8 readers today?

• Go with white slipcovered sofas… the easiest to maintain because they don’t fade and can be laundered and bleached.
  • Every room needs black and punches of WHITE.
  • Every chair needs a place to set a drink.
  • If you can’t afford good art, buy a great mirror.
  • Never buy an antique unless you can use it.
  • Seagrass is like a classic pair of khakis.
  • Never underestimate good accessories…they are like a great pair of shoes!
  • Skirts on upholstered furniture make a room less nervous.
  • Even a period room needs a mod piece to shake it up.
  • Buy good quality and buy once.
  • Educate yourself.

“They attribute their vision and sense of style in their design of interior spaces to their extensive travels, passion for found objects, and experience behind the camera.”

Steve Karlisch

Steve Karlisch

Ladies can you please give us a list of trends that are currently hot…

• White French plaster
  • Wallpaper
  • Brutally modern lighting
  • Cerused oak
  • Modern wicker
  • European rustic
  • Jade green
  • Bollywood glamour
  • Navy blue
  • All shades of pink
  • All shades of gray

“Their eclectic approach is classic, contemporary, global, and comfortable which often results in pairing a pedigreed antique with an economical piece. The final product can result in rooms that are timeless, have style and are fresh and personal.”

Manny Rodriques

Manny Rodriques

Manny Rodriques

Manny Rodriques

Manny Rodriques

Manny Rodriques

Manny Rodriques

Manny Rodriques

Thanks for visiting us today on decor8 and thank you for the tips and the gorgeous glimpses into your portfolio.

(images: blue/green kids room: Manny Rodriquez and all others: Steve Karlisch)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips, designers on June 10, 2010

1. lorna commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 5:49am

this is the sort of styling I love, the images are great! These are the sorts of settings/images I want to get my Dahlia wall flowers taken in!

2. Suze Yalof Schwartz commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 6:56am

I love love love this home!!!! Thank you for posting it – It reminds me a little of my own but elevated big time! Suze

3. Amie McCracken commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 7:02am

Gorgeous portfolio. And love the quick tips on decorating! Thinking back to make sure I’ve implemented those ideas in my designs.
    .-= Amie McCracken´s last blog ..The Answer =-.

4. Shanon commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 7:27am

So knowledgeable! I learned a lot and hope to remember it all so I can incorporate the tips that I don’t already have going on in my house. I especially like the tip about buying a great mirror. So true!
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..Sweet! =-.

5. Laura (Curry Kay Designs) commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 7:30am

What a beautiful portfolio! I love the use of teal and grey (two of my favorite colors). So glamorous yet liveable!

have a lovely day!
    Laura

6. KG @ KG Style commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 7:32am

Absolutely beautiful!
    Love the colors and I enjoyed the design tips. Makes me want to get my own design tips in place on my website!

Thanks!
    .-= KG @ KG Style´s last blog ..Career in Design?: Choose Redlands University =-.

7. Connie Cusick commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 7:36am

These rooms are divine!! What an amazing use of color!! What white fabric do you recommend for slip covering furniture? I need to do it asap!! Thanks for Inspiring!! Best, Connie

8. Cheryl commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 8:10am

Beautiful! I adore the blue lamps and the mod looking mirrored piece above the bed.
    .-= Cheryl´s last blog ..exciting news… =-.

9. small sweet steps commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 8:22am

I love the colors, serene with pops of happiness!
    .-= small sweet steps´s last blog ..Pattern Love =-.

10. Joanne commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 9:03am

Just love, love, love the interiors, the colours are refreshing and inspiring. Thanks Holly!

11. cristin @ simplified bee commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 9:45am

I have seen their designs before – brilliant. The rooms are fresh, modern and worldly. The interview was well done. Thanks!
    .-= cristin @ simplified bee´s last blog ..A Recent Look at the Alameda Point Antiques & Collectibles Faire =-.

12. DailyDivaDish commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 9:53am

Oh my – such a beautiful post! And I’m in the process of planning to “refresh” the master bedroom in our home…so this is perfect for me. Thank you!
    XO Piper
    .-= DailyDivaDish´s last blog ..Vintage Dresses in Snow Cone Colors =-.

13. hena tayeb commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 10:56am

great tips.. absolutely gorgeous rooms!
    .-= hena tayeb´s last blog ..The Perfect Weekend =-.

14. Arlene Grasman commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 11:01am

I love all those shades of green and blue!

15. Nuit commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 11:19am

oh Holly this post is sublime! and their advise is the BEST!!! Definitely something to bookmark. Thank you!
    .-= Nuit´s last blog ..Faboulousness Times 4…. ? Small Spaces =-.

16. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 11:45am

Oh, I am in LOVE! These colors are amazing.

I love the lamp in the first pic… The tips are wonderful and so generous. Thank you.
    .-= Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog ..I received a blog award & get to give some awards myself! =-.

17. Elkie commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 12:12pm

Gorgeous! I’m in NY and today the weather is a bit dreary. These pictures made me smile and reinvigorated my spirits. I am a fan of the bright turquoise…it speaks to me. Thanks!

18. Laura @ youngDCliving commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 1:01pm

These spaces are beautiful! I love the blue lamp in many of the photos, as well as the bookcase with the blue painted back. Love the tips as well! This was definitely an inspiring post
    .-= Laura @ youngDCliving´s last blog ..Laura’s Style Picks “Summer Neutrals” =-.

19. Tina commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 1:28pm

Lovely pictures – and that turqouise lamp totally did it for me..!
    .-= Tina´s last blog ..Findings! =-.

20. Christine commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 3:34pm

Love all these pics and the design tips are great too!

I love the dish with the endless supply of hair elastics – I can never find one of these when I need one! They just have a tendency to disappear into nothingness!

21. Hidemi commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 3:58pm

I love your website very much!
    Thank you?

22. Hidemi commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 4:00pm

I love your website very much!
    Thank you!!

23. Kaitlyn commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 4:11pm

can i please live in all of these rooms?? how beautiful! i want to climb in and explore each one.

thanks for posting!

24. Glenda commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 4:32pm

Thanks for the list of tips. I will be looking for ways to add black and white to my home – two colors I would not normally think about.
    Glenda´s last blog post ..Remembering Hallie (part six)

25. Pins + Paper commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 5:17pm

I’m in love with that turquoise glass lamp! How divine, how divine, how divine!

~ Kristen
    Pins + Paper´s last blog post ..Local Craft Show: Etsy Craft Party

26. Deborah Wall commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 5:23pm

Wow! These rooms invite you to sink into them… yes please!

27. Ana Carolina Villaça commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 5:35pm

lovely! Thank u for the precious tips!
    Ana Carolina Villaça´s last blog post ..iPad Couture!

28. Josie commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 6:11pm

ooo! I’m in love with everything!

29. Dan Shand commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 8:02pm

This is a wonderful list!

30. Ami commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 10:37pm

OMG I am seriously in love these! Especially the room with the light gray walls paired with the white wall decals.
    Ami´s last blog post ..If you register your site for free at

31. Blue Penguin commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 11:30pm

Such gorgeous design; I just love these photos. And, like several others, I’m also in love with the blue glass lamps – where are they from?
    Blue Penguin´s last blog post ..Pardon?

32. sj commented
    June 10th, 2010 at 11:43pm

Nice styling, but wish the bracelet tray would have stayed on the left side of the lamp where it was placed in the first photo. (Yes — getting into the minutia of the styling, I know). Nonetheless, great inspiration for people who enjoy this style!!

33. Andrea commented
    June 11th, 2010 at 1:00am

This is the inspiration for how I want to decorate my bedroom – I’ve always enjoyed the color palate of blue/teal and green – so fresh, soothing and vibrant all at the same time. Thank you for sharing this!

34. Kristen commented
    June 11th, 2010 at 9:39am

Love it! So fresh!

35. brett | design babylon interiors commented
    June 11th, 2010 at 12:38pm

LOVE the nursery — the stencil (or is it wall decals?) of the pagodas, etc are like waaayyy enlarged toile. Genius! A play on scale for the little one perhaps?
    brett | design babylon interiors´s last blog post ..07-stack-lr3

36. Vari commented
    June 11th, 2010 at 5:57pm

Beautiful! I love the white decals on the cool grey wall! I can feel a little mini makeover coming on!!!

Vari @ Buttercup Ink xx

Vari´s last blog post ..Perfect Date Night GIVEAWAY!

37. Rebecca commented
    June 13th, 2010 at 6:56pm

I love that aqua blue lamp! I saw one almost exactly like it today at Marshall’s and almost picked it up! I may have to go back for it.
    Rebecca´s last blog post ..Fashionable Aqua Accessories for Summer

38. Victoria Bellow commented
    June 13th, 2010 at 10:50pm

Truly stunning,Love the inspiration images of the bedrooms. I see a combination of light blue, green, and neutrals. As well as a pattern on the floor, a mirror, and lamps.
    So gorgeous post!thanks

39. Sarah commented
    June 21st, 2010 at 2:26pm

Could you tell me what color the grey paint in the child’s room is (the one with the white stencil work)? I’m in love!

40. Sarah commented
    June 21st, 2010 at 2:29pm

Could you tell me what the grey paint is in the child’s room (with the white stenciling? I’m in love!