Designers + Stylists

June 10, 2010

I recently had a chat with Jan from Martensen Jones Interiors and she arranged to have all of these beautiful images from their portfolio sent my way to inspire decor8 readers today. I also asked her a few questions about Martensen Jones in Dallas, which has been in practice for four years, to learn more about this design studio and so you can find my questions and her replies below.

Martensen Jones Interiors

First, a little about the lovely ladies behind the firm. “Lisa Martensen and Jan Jones have each worked in the advertising, editorial, and retail industry for over 25 years as make-up, fashion, and interior stylists. Lisa has a degree in Interior Design and Jan has a BFA in Art History.”

Martensen Jones Interiors

What inspires you both? FASHION! Also movies, travel… staying in beautifully designed hotels, museums, architecture, nature: the colors of the sky and water. Who are some of your favorite interior designers? Vincente Wolf, John Saladino, Susan Ferrier, Suzanne Kasler, Thomas O’Brien, David Hicks, Billy Baldwin, Michael Taylor and John Dickinson.

Martensen Jones Interiors

What are some quick design tips you can give decor8 readers today?

• Go with white slipcovered sofas… the easiest to maintain because they don’t fade and can be laundered and bleached.
  • Every room needs black and punches of WHITE.
  • Every chair needs a place to set a drink.
  • If you can’t afford good art, buy a great mirror.
  • Never buy an antique unless you can use it.
  • Seagrass is like a classic pair of khakis.
  • Never underestimate good accessories…they are like a great pair of shoes!
  • Skirts on upholstered furniture make a room less nervous.
  • Even a period room needs a mod piece to shake it up.
  • Buy good quality and buy once.
  • Educate yourself.

“They attribute their vision and sense of style in their design of interior spaces to their extensive travels, passion for found objects, and experience behind the camera.”

Martensen Jones Interiors

Ladies can you please give us a list of trends that are currently hot…

• White French plaster
  • Wallpaper
  • Brutally modern lighting
  • Cerused oak
  • Modern wicker
  • European rustic
  • Jade green
  • Bollywood glamour
  • Navy blue
  • All shades of pink
  • All shades of gray

“Their eclectic approach is classic, contemporary, global, and comfortable which often results in pairing a pedigreed antique with an economical piece. The final product can result in rooms that are timeless, have style and are fresh and personal.”

Martensen Jones Interiors

Thanks for visiting us today on decor8 and thank you for the tips and the gorgeous glimpses into your portfolio.

(images: blue/green kids room: Manny Rodriquez and all others: Steve Karlisch)

You Might Also Like

40 Comments

• Reply lorna June 10, 2010 at 5:49 am

this is the sort of styling I love, the images are great! These are the sorts of settings/images I want to get my Dahlia wall flowers taken in!

• Reply Suze Yalof Schwartz June 10, 2010 at 6:56 am

I love love love this home!!!! Thank you for posting it – It reminds me a little of my own but elevated big time! Suze

• Reply Amie McCracken June 10, 2010 at 7:02 am

Gorgeous portfolio. And love the quick tips on decorating! Thinking back to make sure I’ve implemented those ideas in my designs.
    .-= Amie McCracken´s last blog ..The Answer =-.

• Reply Shanon June 10, 2010 at 7:27 am

So knowledgeable! I learned a lot and hope to remember it all so I can incorporate the tips that I don’t already have going on in my house. I especially like the tip about buying a great mirror. So true!
    .-= Shanon´s last blog ..Sweet! =-.

• Reply Laura (Curry Kay Designs) June 10, 2010 at 7:30 am

What a beautiful portfolio! I love the use of teal and grey (two of my favorite colors). So glamorous yet liveable!

have a lovely day!
    Laura

• Reply KG @ KG Style June 10, 2010 at 7:32 am

Absolutely beautiful!
    Love the colors and I enjoyed the design tips. Makes me want to get my own design tips in place on my website!

Thanks!
    .-= KG @ KG Style´s last blog ..Career in Design?: Choose Redlands University =-.

• Reply Connie Cusick June 10, 2010 at 7:36 am

These rooms are divine!! What an amazing use of color!! What white fabric do you recommend for slip covering furniture? I need to do it asap!! Thanks for Inspiring!! Best, Connie

• Reply Cheryl June 10, 2010 at 8:10 am

Beautiful! I adore the blue lamps and the mod looking mirrored piece above the bed.
    .-= Cheryl´s last blog ..exciting news… =-.

• Reply small sweet steps June 10, 2010 at 8:22 am

I love the colors, serene with pops of happiness!
    .-= small sweet steps´s last blog ..Pattern Love =-.

• Reply Joanne June 10, 2010 at 9:03 am

Just love, love, love the interiors, the colours are refreshing and inspiring. Thanks Holly!

• Reply cristin @ simplified bee June 10, 2010 at 9:45 am

I have seen their designs before – brilliant. The rooms are fresh, modern and worldly. The interview was well done. Thanks!
    .-= cristin @ simplified bee´s last blog ..A Recent Look at the Alameda Point Antiques & Collectibles Faire =-.

• Reply DailyDivaDish June 10, 2010 at 9:53 am

Oh my – such a beautiful post! And I’m in the process of planning to “refresh” the master bedroom in our home…so this is perfect for me. Thank you!
    XO Piper
    .-= DailyDivaDish´s last blog ..Vintage Dresses in Snow Cone Colors =-.

• Reply hena tayeb June 10, 2010 at 10:56 am

great tips.. absolutely gorgeous rooms!
    .-= hena tayeb´s last blog ..The Perfect Weekend =-.

• Reply Arlene Grasman June 10, 2010 at 11:01 am

I love all those shades of green and blue!

• Reply Nuit June 10, 2010 at 11:19 am

oh Holly this post is sublime! and their advise is the BEST!!! Definitely something to bookmark. Thank you!
    .-= Nuit´s last blog ..Faboulousness Times 4…. ? Small Spaces =-.

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang June 10, 2010 at 11:45 am

Oh, I am in LOVE! These colors are amazing.

I love the lamp in the first pic… The tips are wonderful and so generous. Thank you.
    .-= Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog ..I received a blog award & get to give some awards myself! =-.

• Reply Elkie June 10, 2010 at 12:12 pm

Gorgeous! I’m in NY and today the weather is a bit dreary. These pictures made me smile and reinvigorated my spirits. I am a fan of the bright turquoise…it speaks to me. Thanks!

• Reply Laura @ youngDCliving June 10, 2010 at 1:01 pm

These spaces are beautiful! I love the blue lamp in many of the photos, as well as the bookcase with the blue painted back. Love the tips as well! This was definitely an inspiring post
    .-= Laura @ youngDCliving´s last blog ..Laura’s Style Picks “Summer Neutrals” =-.

• Reply Tina June 10, 2010 at 1:28 pm

Lovely pictures – and that turqouise lamp totally did it for me..!
    .-= Tina´s last blog ..Findings! =-.

• Reply Christine June 10, 2010 at 3:34 pm

Love all these pics and the design tips are great too!

I love the dish with the endless supply of hair elastics – I can never find one of these when I need one! They just have a tendency to disappear into nothingness!

• Reply Hidemi June 10, 2010 at 3:58 pm

I love your website very much!
    Thank you?

• Reply Hidemi June 10, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I love your website very much!
    Thank you!!

• Reply Kaitlyn June 10, 2010 at 4:11 pm

can i please live in all of these rooms?? how beautiful! i want to climb in and explore each one.

thanks for posting!

• Reply Glenda June 10, 2010 at 4:32 pm

Thanks for the list of tips. I will be looking for ways to add black and white to my home – two colors I would not normally think about.

• Reply Pins + Paper June 10, 2010 at 5:17 pm

I’m in love with that turquoise glass lamp! How divine, how divine, how divine!

~ Kristen

• Reply Deborah Wall June 10, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Wow! These rooms invite you to sink into them… yes please!

• Reply Ana Carolina Villaça June 10, 2010 at 5:35 pm

lovely! Thank u for the precious tips!

• Reply Josie June 10, 2010 at 6:11 pm

ooo! I’m in love with everything!

• Reply Dan Shand June 10, 2010 at 8:02 pm

This is a wonderful list!

• Reply Ami June 10, 2010 at 10:37 pm

OMG I am seriously in love these! Especially the room with the light gray walls paired with the white wall decals.

• Reply Blue Penguin June 10, 2010 at 11:30 pm

Such gorgeous design; I just love these photos. And, like several others, I’m also in love with the blue glass lamps – where are they from?

• Reply sj June 10, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Nice styling, but wish the bracelet tray would have stayed on the left side of the lamp where it was placed in the first photo. (Yes — getting into the minutia of the styling, I know). Nonetheless, great inspiration for people who enjoy this style!!

• Reply Andrea June 11, 2010 at 1:00 am

This is the inspiration for how I want to decorate my bedroom – I’ve always enjoyed the color palate of blue/teal and green – so fresh, soothing and vibrant all at the same time. Thank you for sharing this!

• Reply Kristen June 11, 2010 at 9:39 am

Love it! So fresh!

• Reply brett | design babylon interiors June 11, 2010 at 12:38 pm

LOVE the nursery — the stencil (or is it wall decals?) of the pagodas, etc are like waaayyy enlarged toile. Genius! A play on scale for the little one perhaps?

• Reply Vari June 11, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Beautiful! I love the white decals on the cool grey wall! I can feel a little mini makeover coming on!!!

Vari @ Buttercup Ink xx

• Reply Rebecca June 13, 2010 at 6:56 pm

I love that aqua blue lamp! I saw one almost exactly like it today at Marshall’s and almost picked it up! I may have to go back for it.

• Reply Victoria Bellow June 13, 2010 at 10:50 pm

Truly stunning,Love the inspiration images of the bedrooms. I see a combination of light blue, green, and neutrals. As well as a pattern on the floor, a mirror, and lamps.
    So gorgeous post!thanks

• Reply Sarah June 21, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Could you tell me what color the grey paint in the child’s room is (the one with the white stencil work)? I’m in love!

• Reply Sarah June 21, 2010 at 2:29 pm

Could you tell me what the grey paint is in the child’s room (with the white stenciling? I’m in love!