Decorating Tips From Denmark

Hello Friends, it is Leslie here dropping in for a moment with some design tips from the Danish magazine Bolig. Since Holly was recently in Denmark (and I just got back) I though it would be nice to highlight some lovely images featured on this magazine’s ever inspiring site. I know she is fond of their aesthetic and posted about them here in April. I am starting with a pretty kitchen that has some good ideas.

Decorating Tips from Bolig Magazine

1. Nook: This image reminded me of how useful little sitting nooks are for hanging out and feeling cozy! It is a great way to make a small or awkward space feel perfect don’t you think? I remember an old apartment I had where the eating area was too small for a table and this would have been perfect. You can use a simple bench or a couple square stools lined up and then top with some foam covered in fabric. Throw on a few pillows and some cushions and you are ready for tea and a book in your cozy little nook!

2. Kitchen Island Carts: A really pretty kitchen! I like how they painted the carts that make up the island with the same color as the cupboards (at least it looks similar). Usually carts like this are always silver metal but there is something about the paint that looks really fresh. There was a Martha Stewart issue years ago that discussed taking metal furniture to an auto body shop to get powder-coat painted or sprayed. Does anyone remember this? Have you tried it and was it expensive? I am curious because it does create a nice look and then you can fasten a counter on top.

3. Pretty Kitchen Clutter: Displaying beautiful packaging like these Kusmi Tea tins and the jewel toned tea cups in the same palette as the kitchen is visually inspiring. Even if this look has been styled for the magazine shoot it is still a reminder of how to display your own collections that may be hiding in your cupboards and if you are going to fill some counter or shelf space have it be with you nice stuff!

Decorating Tips from Bolig Magazine

The use of pattern in these images is really fresh and creates a unique look in the white spaces. Instead of just using just plain blocks of color the patterned elements add a little more decorating power!

4. Patterned Cushions: I know this is simple but I must say effective. The cushions would read very differently if they were just solid blasts of color on the bed. The look is a little more delicate and detailed now.

5. Quilted Bean Bag: The patterned bean-bag and chair cushion are fun and modern in this more rustic space.

6. Orange Mirror: The intricate frame pattern around the mirror painted with bright orange is bold and interesting compared to a plain rectangle frame painted orange. The pattern adds that extra wow factor.

7. Clean Palette: A simple light blue and green palette with subtle patterns looks inviting. There is that “nook” look again with the day bed creating a comfortable space in a narrow room.

8. Patterned Storage Boxes: A pretty alternative to baskets in the bathroom and there seems to be many tutorials on how to do it yourself like this one online.

9. Towel Cover: This bench cushion in a bathroom seems to be covered with a brightly covered towel, which seems fitting – right? There are so many affordable printed bath sheets available now that would make a practical fabric covering for a seat in a bathroom like this or outdoors.

Decorating Tips from Bolig Magazine

Lastly, I had to share with you this charming black painted house. Maybe it is not a west coast thing because I rarely see ranchers, bungalows or cottages painted this lovely black or shall I say “ink” color here in California. I am curious to learn more, is this popular in Scandinavia, as it definitely seems warm for absorbing light? What do you think, am I alone in my adoration of this black house? -Leslie Shewring

(images: bolig magazine)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips on June 22, 2010

1. Elle Sees commented
    June 22nd, 2010 at 9:48am

It’s just all so…clean…and refreshing. I want to live in it.

2. Betsy Wynn commented
    June 22nd, 2010 at 9:58am

omg how gorgeous. I’m a sucker for white. It makes everything look so clean and pure. Beautiful homes.

3. Camilla {Hygge Nook} commented
    June 22nd, 2010 at 9:58am

I saw quite a few black houses in Denmark but my particular favourite was one I spotted in Zealand – a perfect mid-yellow with a shiny black tile roof. Just gorgeous.

Loving that kitchen nook too.
    Camilla {Hygge Nook}´s last blog post ..My next project

4. Torrie @ a place to share... commented
    June 22nd, 2010 at 10:20am

Hello! New to blogging and commenting even, but have been following for quite sometime. I’ve “lurked” long enough…ready to comment and share;).

What a great [guest] post! You are not alone in your love of the black house. I too, here in southern CA, am quick to spot and admire things that I don’t typically see… such as this house. My husband tells me that I belong in “Vermont” since- when doing any project- I always lean towards styles that don’t quite fit in with our street, or city, or state for that matter:).

Thank you for sharing the tutorial link for the patterned storage containers. I had to stop reading and send a message to friends, asking them if they wanted to join me in this project…a little craft/cocktail party!
    Torrie @ a place to share…´s last blog post ..A jar of memories.

5. Adventures in Dressmaking commented
    June 22nd, 2010 at 10:32am

So cute, great style in Bolig magazine. I have never seen a black house, either, but it sure works for that cute one!
    Adventures in Dressmaking´s last blog post ..The corset dress is everywhere!

6. Bobbi commented
    June 22nd, 2010 at 10:34am

I just love the look of the white painted surfaces with dashes of bright colors in the accessories. It’s such a happy look:) I have to find some way to incorporate this style somewhere in my home, maybe the kitchen.
    Bobbi´s last blog post ..In the Studio – wips

7. Christine commented
    June 22nd, 2010 at 10:38am

I just want to curl up in that nook – love it!

8. Orit commented
    June 22nd, 2010 at 10:41am

I LOVE Danish design!! From Tilda to rice and Greengate.. So refreshing.

9. Kira commented
    June 22nd, 2010 at 10:42am

We do have quite a few black houses here in Denmark :) But mostly summer houses or allotment shacks surrounded by cute little gardens that brighten everything up. You’re right, it’s adorable!
    And I’m all for the pretty clutter (not only in the kitchen!).
    Kira´s last blog post ..Tuesday Fifty Dollar Vintage

10. hena tayeb commented
    June 22nd, 2010 at 10:51am

always love a good nook. and i like the black house with the white trim.
    hena tayeb´s last blog post ..A Collaboration.. the Hospital Bag and so much more..

11. Ludmila {CreamyLife.com} commented
    June 22nd, 2010 at 11:00am

These pictures are adorable! Great great selection! Bolig is one of the must-read magazines, so many gorgeous things in there!
    Ludmila {CreamyLife.com}´s last blog post ..Etsy: Bagatelles and Co

12. Post-College Working Girl commented
    June 22nd, 2010 at 11:04am

You are not alone in your love of the black house! There is one house here in Raleigh, NC that is an inky color just like that and I ADORE it…I think they are definitely bold for this southern town where most houses are white, yellow, brick, or something pastel, but I find the black SO refreshing.
    Post-College Working Girl´s last blog post ..Thrifted: Cupcake Stand

13. BohèmeCircus commented
    June 22nd, 2010 at 11:37am

I love when green and blue are becoming soft and fresh together, a mix between chic and simplicity. That is why I love especially this kitchen !
    BohèmeCircus´s last blog post ..Polka dots

14. The Design Dish commented
    June 22nd, 2010 at 11:59am

I love the clean refreshing color palette with pops of color! great post!
    The Design Dish
    The Design Dish´s last blog post ..Jenna’s Picks

15. Joan commented
    June 22nd, 2010 at 12:35pm

Love the style. It’s has a refreshing and a calm look.

16. Marthe commented
    June 22nd, 2010 at 1:11pm

I love the nook! So cozy! :)
    Marthe´s last blog post ..On Rome and boredom

17. Jane @ The Borrowed Abode commented
    June 22nd, 2010 at 1:21pm

Each and every one of these spaces looks so incredibly refreshing. Love it!
    Jane @ The Borrowed Abode´s last blog post ..Small Space Solution: Hooked

18. sidsel commented
    June 22nd, 2010 at 2:08pm

the black houses are an old danish tradition here, where summerhouses used to be painted with a kind of tar – to protect the wood and to absorb the light and warm up the houses… :)

19. leslie commented
    June 22nd, 2010 at 2:24pm

Hi Sidsel -Thank you for explaining the tradition! I was so intrigued and just love the look.
    leslie´s last blog post ..Color Me Pretty Time

20. Traveling Mama commented
    June 22nd, 2010 at 2:39pm

Sigh… you girls are killing me! We just spent the day looking at rentals and 3 out of the 4 were completely depressing! I wish properties like these were easier to find!

21. Mike Shenk commented
    June 23rd, 2010 at 9:43am

Nice mix of products and very design informative! Mike :>)))

22. Justine commented
    June 23rd, 2010 at 10:03am

I would die to have a black house with white trim but I feel int he summer that would be really impractical- but doesn’t that make you want it more because you know you shouldn’t!??

23. Shell commented
    June 23rd, 2010 at 7:15pm

I love Nooks. To me they can make a beautiful home, even more sweet and personable.
    Shell´s last blog post ..Midsummer Night

24. Brooke H commented
    June 23rd, 2010 at 11:41pm

LOVE the black house with white trim! It looks so fresh and fabulously different. . .Great post Leslie. :)
    Brooke H´s last blog post ..New Cards & Bookmarks

25. Julie Cove commented
    June 24th, 2010 at 1:01am

There’s a deep charcoal house not far from me with a stunning perennial cutting garden in front and they have a road side flower stand- luv, luv! It is so visually yummy it makes you want to climb the fence and explore more with camera in hand. The unique contrast is what makes it so desirable. Thanx for sharing what caught your clever eye with us!
    Julie Cove´s last blog post ..Fresh Tomato & Avocado Toast- Whole, Real and Local Food in Season

26. Allan commented
    June 24th, 2010 at 1:53am

If you love Danish you should read our blog, the biggest interior blog in Denmark. Thanks

27. ellemck1 commented
    June 24th, 2010 at 9:26am

I love the black house… I think I want to buy a black/ink house when I purchase a house… it’s awesome!
    ellemck1´s last blog post ..Really Barry?*

28. Nuje commented
    July 6th, 2010 at 9:44am

Very Classical and Elegant. What I really like most is the furniture design.
    Nuje´s last blog post ..Episode 57 – Celebration of Sankt Hans Aften in Denmark

29. Montse commented
    August 10th, 2011 at 4:55am

I would like to join you if you have a newsletter.
    Love your site!