DIY, Inspiration

8 Summery DIY Ideas

July 15, 2010

Hello Friends, it is Leslie here with eight summery DIY ideas I found. Even if it is winter where you are I hope you find some of these ideas inspiring.

8 Summery DIY Ideas

1. Lots of quick and easy ideas for cleaning up your home’s entryway can be found at Real Simple like this one or this one. I love the painted on floor mat in this front hall!
2. Check out the directions on how to use colorful dyes to brighten up any basic canvas shoe on Martha Stewart Living.

8 Summery DIY Ideas

3. Benita of Chez Larsson shares her fabulous organization tips for her home office here and here.
4. Benita also explains about how she organizes her photographs in this post. There are lots of really good home improvement projects and ideas that Benita shares at Chez Larsson, I am sure you will enjoy reading more once you visit her!

8 Summery DIY Ideas

5. Even though it is Winter in Australia, Donna Hay still has some beautiful summer entertaining recipes and ideas here.
6. I think poufs are everywhere because they are an easy way to add color or update a sitting area. Here is a pattern to make your own by Amy Butler. You can find more information about the pattern and how much fabric you will need on Amy’s gorgeous site right here.

8 Summery DIY Ideas

7. Isn’t this DIY chevron rug project amazing? Please visit the Little Green Notebook Blog by Pearl Street Interiors to read about how to make an inexpensive Ikea rug not something fabulous all by yourself.
8. I had to end with this delicious looking cherry crumble cake as it would be perfect for a picnic or with tea while doing a little reading. Mowie of Mowielicious is always whipping up something incredible and I am sure you will enjoy checking out his beautiful blog.

I hope you have found a project or two that may spark your creative energy this week. I will see you back here soon, until then take care and thank you. — Leslie.

P.S. Holly and I spent the day together, she says hello to all of you! xo

You Might Also Like

68 Comments

• Reply ishtar July 15, 2010 at 2:18 am

oh its SO great you two finally met!!!!!!!! how wonderful! I hope you spent a great day together!!: )
    xo,
    ishtar

• Reply Will July 15, 2010 at 3:16 am

Love the DIY chevron rug idea! Thanks, Leslie!

• Reply Gosia July 15, 2010 at 3:29 am

Hi Leslie! Thanks for this generous post!! Have a nice summer day!

• Reply Make, Do & Send July 15, 2010 at 3:32 am

Sooo many great ideas, thanks Leslie! I also really love the font you have used for the numbers it’s so quirky! I’d love to know what it is if you dont mind sharing your secret font sources? ;) Alex x

• Reply Viv July 15, 2010 at 3:56 am

I love all these ideas Leslie especially the DIY chevron rug. How clever!

• Reply ana July 15, 2010 at 4:04 am

great ideas. I love Donna Hay recipes. I do her sponge cake recipe on birthdays.

• Reply Ewelina July 15, 2010 at 5:40 am

The gum drop pillows are so funky. I love their patterns and colours…but to suggest that I should produce one on my own is a slight exaggeration ;)

• Reply laura trevey July 15, 2010 at 5:49 am

Organizing your home office is always a good idea… You feel better and can be more productive!

• Reply lady a. July 15, 2010 at 7:35 am

I love the idea of date-labelled photo CD’s. Such a simple trick and so much easier life.

• Reply Morgan July 15, 2010 at 8:25 am

I love this post! I am off to make the cherry crumble!

• Reply Inspired Shares July 15, 2010 at 8:39 am

It must be a Tie Dye day…I posted some clothes on my blog today that are beautifully tie dyed. I love the sneakers you have shown, also I think pillow cases would be so fun to tie dye as well!
    ~Julie

• Reply Shanon July 15, 2010 at 8:42 am

Love that rug idea Leslie! You have a magical touch for gather up wonderful ideas. =)

• Reply Shay July 15, 2010 at 9:02 am

Thanks Leslie !!!! Inspiring ideas. Super fun and creative ideas.
    Shay

• Reply Holly July 15, 2010 at 9:43 am

I love the idea with the rug. What a great way to add your own personal touch to your rug!

• Reply Julia July 15, 2010 at 9:48 am

I LOVE the ideas! I start thinking, ‘oh, that seems easy’ and ‘That shouldn’t take too much time’. But I’m getting married in less than 3 weeks so I need to stay away from fun stuff like this for a little while :)

I’m definitely checking back soon though. The chevron rug seems like a great project, and the cherry crumble cake looks yummy!

• Reply Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas July 15, 2010 at 9:48 am

Oooh! Some many great ideas… not enough time!!

Hehe, I wish it was the days of summer break… adult life of working during the summer is a bummer ; ).

I would like to clean up my entry way, laundry room, and office, though, so some of these ideas should be a great help! Thanks for compiling this inspiring list.

• Reply fresh365 July 15, 2010 at 10:30 am

Love that zigzag rug- especially the colors! So fun!

• Reply Victoria Klein July 15, 2010 at 11:00 am

So many nifty ideas – thanks for the great roundup, Leslie! The though of painting a rug sounds complicated, but they made it look quite easy :)

• Reply sara, designers call July 15, 2010 at 11:27 am

I love the color palette, and I especially adore the poufs. What a great pattern and fun idea for a summer hobby.

• Reply Jane @ The Borrowed Abode July 15, 2010 at 11:38 am

Loving that painted rug!!!

Today I guest posted on a friend’s blog about 4 easy gifts you can handmake. My favorite of the four is a jewelry display board, made using thrifted items, that can store your jewelry while looking good!

• Reply Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor July 15, 2010 at 11:41 am

The Gum Drop Pillows are divine! My daughter would love a huge pile of them to flop onto with her friends!

• Reply Kitty @ lavender playground July 15, 2010 at 12:34 pm

Ohhh I would love to try the shoe dyeing idea, sounds like so much fun. I love Mowielicious! His photographs always make me hungry

• Reply Meaghan July 15, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I want to rush to Ikea right now and get one of these plain rugs so I can DIY it ASAP! Thanks for posting this, what a great idea!

• Reply Nuit July 15, 2010 at 1:03 pm

oh what a fabulous post!!! loved the pattern by Amy B and definitely going to try it. And god knows I need to organize my photos immediately if not sooner! x

• Reply PriscilaPetersDecor July 15, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Beautiful images, as always.
    Great ideas, and the cherry cake looks so tasty.

• Reply Ms Matryoshka July 15, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Thanks for the great post. I suddenly feel inspired to do all things domestic and may even attempt the Cherry crumble this afternoon.

• Reply pixie July 15, 2010 at 2:18 pm

That DIY rug (no. 7) is amazing! Love it and the colors…

• Reply Laura Gaskill July 15, 2010 at 2:36 pm

What a wonderful roundup, Leslie! My baby is napping so I think I’ll take a few minutes to click around and daydream about projects I want to get to :)

• Reply Elkie July 15, 2010 at 3:22 pm

I love the chevron rug idea! I may have to make one for my new art space.

• Reply Penny Patten July 15, 2010 at 5:13 pm

Love the ottomans, I would love to try to make them!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente July 15, 2010 at 6:05 pm

These are all fantastic! Thank you so much for all of this wonderful inspiration Leslie, that Chevron rug has my name on it! I LOVE it and you can bet I will be trying that out! Hello to lovely you and Holly! So fun that the two of you got to spend the day together! Awesome!
    xo
    Melis

• Reply Sandy July 15, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Love the DIY rug! Never thought of that..

• Reply Bridgette at Picked Fresh Daily July 15, 2010 at 7:48 pm

I love #7! Literally an hour ago I told my husband I was going to great a chevron rug for our living room. I’m planning on using large canvas drop cloths, but now I’ll have to check out Ikea too for some more inspiration!

• Reply elle @ lapsushumanus July 16, 2010 at 3:55 am

OK, definately not as glamarous as the above ideas – maybe I just need to get better at styling my photos – but how about spray-painting wicker chairs to give them a longer, more colorful life…

I think I’m going to pit some cherries, later today!

• Reply raru July 16, 2010 at 4:59 am

Hello Leslie thank you for these awesome ideas ;))) I think that now I know what I will do in Saturday. I love the last idea ;))))

Thank you so much and have a great Friday.

xoxo,
    raru

• Reply Fresh Design Blog July 16, 2010 at 6:27 am

You’ve gathered up some great ideas! I particularly love the gum drop pillows, thanks for the link to the pattern.

• Reply KG @ KG Style July 16, 2010 at 7:24 am

I love the 21 ways to enhance an entryway! It’s fantastic! I love the fact that they suggested you Paint a runner on the floor instead of actually using one!

• Reply Diana July 16, 2010 at 8:00 am

Oh my! Every time I scrolled down to see more I was hit with something else inspiring! Office organization tips – sign me up! DIY Pouf – Something I’ve been wanting to do for ages!! That chevron rug!! – picture me bouncing in my chair with delight.

Great post!

• Reply Tiago Morena July 16, 2010 at 9:26 am

Great post, I will sure try some of the projects. I´m amazed with the rug chevron. That´s a great idea!!

Thank you for the inspirational post!

• Reply Nicole | blue bicicletta July 16, 2010 at 12:22 pm

ooh, I love the idea of dyeing canvas shoes! What a fun project—and then you’d get to admire your feet all day!

• Reply Mandy Ford July 16, 2010 at 1:22 pm

Great ideas – love the chevron rug!

Mandy @ DesignBrew

• Reply Terri July 16, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I need some of those poufs in my house… I may have to check out that Amy Butler pattern! And the cherry crumb cake… my mouth is watering!

• Reply Laura (youngDCliving) July 16, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I love all of these ideas–especially the photography CD organization tip and the link to the fabulous looking Cherry Crumble cake. Yum!

• Reply Linda Starr July 17, 2010 at 5:58 am

I need several of those gum drop pillows, or ottomans, love them.

• Reply Christine July 17, 2010 at 11:41 am

Can’t take my eyes off number eight~ beautiful shots!

• Reply suzanne July 17, 2010 at 12:38 pm

oh those are some great ideas!
    i especially love the gum drop pillows/ottomans :)

• Reply Rachel July 17, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Love the shoe dyeing idea! I will definitely be trying that!

• Reply Cheryl Elsbree Interior Design July 17, 2010 at 9:29 pm

Love all of these great ideas. I think I will try the gumdrop pillows first.
    Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Casa e Cose July 18, 2010 at 7:42 am

What an excellent post! Thanks so much! I love photos of creative office spaces – i wished i had one…
    have a loverly sunday.
    Helena

• Reply ThiliBlooms July 18, 2010 at 8:20 am

I really like how you organize the pictures in the post!
    So pretty and organized :)

• Reply vosgesparis July 18, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Thanks for this lovely post…. Inspired by the organizing ideas of Benita I bought a new spindal of cd’s and some nice white boxes !

• Reply Tracey Chalk July 19, 2010 at 4:49 am

Love the photo organisation at chez Larson!

• Reply Chyme July 19, 2010 at 5:30 am

This is amazing and a lovely post. Thanks for sharing this lovely ideas.

• Reply Larry | Interior Design July 19, 2010 at 7:34 am

Great DIY chevron rug idea. Thanks a lot Leslie.

• Reply house of nicole July 19, 2010 at 8:14 am

good ideas. beautiful pictures! i like your blog:)

am gonna visit you regularely from now on!

houseofnicole.blogspot.com

• Reply Keatley & Co. July 19, 2010 at 9:24 am

I really need to organize my working space. What great photos you have posted. They have inspired me to do something about my desk immediately.

• Reply anh July 19, 2010 at 1:06 pm

what great ideas!!!!

• Reply hena tayeb July 19, 2010 at 2:22 pm

these are all fabulous ideas.. i especially love the rug..

• Reply The Frugal Style July 19, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Oh my! I wouldn’t even know what to comment on first…everything looks amazing! What a great list of ideas!!! I am in love with the cherry crumble wrapped in parchment paper…makes me drool just looking at it!
    Melissa :-)

• Reply Alex Louisa July 19, 2010 at 8:38 pm

I like the rug idea! And I must admit that I need to adopt the “Organise your home office idea…” I always love how it looks when it’s all clean, but I’m not very good at keeping it that way. If my art supplies are all spread out all over the place, then they’re much easier to get to! (Or so I say…)

• Reply ashley July 19, 2010 at 11:21 pm

Fabulous ideas!! I love it!

• Reply Abby July 20, 2010 at 6:02 am

I love the colours! And the cherry slice looks delish!

• Reply pinkbathtub July 20, 2010 at 9:26 am

Lovely post. I am drooling over the cherry crumble cake;)

• Reply Susan July 20, 2010 at 2:34 pm

So many great ideas. I absolutely love the poufs. As an avid sewer I was happy to see a link to a pattern too. Now I just need to get my sewing machine back from my daughter.

• Reply Aansy July 21, 2010 at 7:51 am

those gum drop pillows are so attractive and the color shades are marvelous

• Reply Brooke H July 22, 2010 at 10:59 am

Beyond fantastic post, thanks Leslie!! Im especially dying over the chevron rug. Great job, love a great collection of DIYs.

• Reply Torrie @ a place to share... July 28, 2010 at 10:46 am

There are times when I feel as if I’ve hit the ‘blogger’s jackpot’…
    …This is one of those times.
    Thank you for sharing the office organization links with us. I have been ‘drowning’ in magazines and photos and have really wanted to formulate a strategy for getting beyond this. This is exactly what I needed.

• Reply Corey September 28, 2010 at 1:15 am

In the first picture, is that a real floor mat or is it painted? The color choices are excellent – very summery.