Color Inspiration

Neon Pink

July 30, 2010

Hello Friends, it is Leslie here for July’s Color Me Pretty series. This time around I decided to explore black, white, silver, grey and yes, neon pink. I do not think I have gone totally eighties on you. I have just been a little obsessed with this color combination since I saw the cover of Inside Out magazine last month.

Neon Pink

This magazine inspired this mood board below… and this series today!

Neon Pink

You can sneak a little neon pink into a neutral interior and have it feel really fresh and summery with a simple pillow as an accent as shown below.

Neon Pink

Of course it is a trendy color, which is what makes it so fun, just use it in small dosages! Handwriting, beads and tape were also brought into the mix this time around. I hope you enjoy what I have put together for you.

Neon Pink

I love photographing chalkboard menus when I travel in Europe. It is more about the handwriting, less about the menu. Chalkboards are fun in the home and I like the idea of sketches or poems written on them, maybe even a fancy frame around their edge. Even if you are nervous about showcasing your own handwriting, go for it. That is what the eraser is for!

Neon Pink

Neon Pink

I have been sticking Rob Ryan’s tape on everything. As most of you know, tape can instantly personalize a plain journal or a blank card.

Neon Pink

On my mood board I combined some Japanese tape with a little neon pink stitching to make a card. I also combined Rob Ryan’s tape with some Japanese tape to make another card.

Neon Pink

Recycle tip: An empty food can is painted white and then spruced up further with a little note and some ribbon to hold a plant for a gift.

Neon Pink

Craft Idea: I tried using stencils this month as well –to go along with my eighties investigation because weren’t stenciled walls big back then in the US? Do you remember the do it yourself grapevine stencil kits? Well, stencil kits are back better then ever! I loved using the kits by Ed Roth of Stencil 1. Lotta Jansdotter makes some nice larger scale stencils that I tried too. You can also check out Lena Corwin’s chapter on stenciling in her book “Printing By Hand”.

Neon Pink

I used stencils from both Stencil 1 and Lotta Jansdotter to create images on some small square canvases. I realize I am not the best stencil student as I like to paint myself but it was fun to have a guide and the results were very fast. I did not have a stencil brush, which I think I will use next time around. I especially liked making some cards for my mood board collection on heavy paper using the stencils.

Have you tried using stencils? Any tips you want to share with us beginners?

Thank you for joining me here and I will see you again next month with a Color Me Pretty series for August! If you would like to see previous CMP columns please click here. Bye!

(images: leslie shewring)

You Might Also Like

69 Comments

• Reply Brooke H July 30, 2010 at 4:07 am

Hands down, best Color Me Pretty post to date! Absolutely love it. Great job Leslie. =)

• Reply Brooke H July 30, 2010 at 4:10 am

. . .Also could you by any chance share some info on the pillow in the first photo? Its ideal for my apartment.

• Reply ishtar July 30, 2010 at 4:19 am

this color me pretty photos are awesome!!! I really liked the combinations of all this colors! modern, fresh, stylish! So nice! beautiful photos Leslie!!! : D

• Reply Samantha July 30, 2010 at 6:06 am

oh yes I remember stencils, when I was first married just about every wall in the home had some kind of stencil on it!
    I love these boards above and have also just discovered pretty sticking tape, have been playing around with it myself this week, I think it will become my latest obession.

• Reply Tina July 30, 2010 at 6:08 am

I´ve never bought stencils but I tried to make one myself to decorate a chair (with a motive and not letters) and it was FUN and turned out really nice: http://tinajoathome.blogspot.com/2010/04/chair-project-is-finished.html

It´s really a great thing if you want to make something “you”. :-)

• Reply MsCritique.com July 30, 2010 at 6:11 am

I love the colour palette. Looks fab!

• Reply Brianna July 30, 2010 at 6:15 am

This is super gorgeous.
    I have always thought that neon pink was such a pretty color, but its brightness can be easily overwhelming when it is overused.
    This way, with simple and small splashes of it, makes all the difference!

LOVE
    LOVE
    LOVE
    it.

xoxo
    bB

• Reply Elisa July 30, 2010 at 7:05 am

Just decorated my bedroom in black, white, silver and grey…gosh dare I add some neon pink!!
    You got me thinking!

• Reply Danielle July 30, 2010 at 7:15 am

Love the combo together!
    The pink adds a hint of brightness!

• Reply neaner July 30, 2010 at 7:53 am

I really enjoyed this post. In my adult life, I’ve never really considered using hot pink in my apartment. It just goes to show that any color can be lovely in interiors if executed well!

• Reply Casa e Cose July 30, 2010 at 8:01 am

love the mood board. when they are nice like that it becomes such a pretty interior decoration. shame mine is not that pretty…

besitos,
    helena

• Reply Renee July 30, 2010 at 8:07 am

LOVE this colour combo! There’s something so fun and refreshing about accenting with neon colours with an otherwise neutral colour scheme.

• Reply Jillian July 30, 2010 at 8:43 am

looooove this inspiration. i gets my juices flowing. thanks!

• Reply Jillian July 30, 2010 at 8:44 am

looooove this inspiration. it gets my juices flowing. thanks!

• Reply Dreaming of Palm Trees July 30, 2010 at 8:58 am

Can’t go wrong with any neon color as far as I’m concerned. :) Love it! xo

• Reply Diane July 30, 2010 at 9:17 am

Love this color series. The neon pink looks awesome with black, grey/silver and white. So inspiring Leslie!

• Reply Shay July 30, 2010 at 9:22 am

Love this color combo and all the decorating ideas !!! Very 80’s !!!
    You rock Leslie !!!
    Shay

• Reply fresh365 July 30, 2010 at 9:32 am

Can’t get enough of gray and I love the addition of bright colors- yellow, green and especially pink!

• Reply Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas July 30, 2010 at 9:46 am

This is always a fun combination! And I understand your chalkboard obsession… I had my hubby add a chalkboard wall at his place of work because of this!

As for the colour combo… it brings me back to these totally cool flourescent pink shorts with black polka dots I had back in the day, hehe.

• Reply Will July 30, 2010 at 10:26 am

Thanks, Leslie! I have just decorated my new home office in black and hot pink! A lovely post x

• Reply Katherine July 30, 2010 at 10:29 am

Ohhh, nice choice on the color combo…liking it lots!

• Reply peggy July 30, 2010 at 10:42 am

Hi Leslie,

This is a really beautiful post. I love this color combination!

• Reply Piper (DailyDivaDish) July 30, 2010 at 10:52 am

I’ve tried, but have never had stencil skills. I’m loving these pops of neon pink with the black, white and grey. Gorgeous!
    XO Piper

• Reply Cassie July 30, 2010 at 11:19 am

Everything looks amazing! So great. xoxo

• Reply Marsha Harris (Splenderosa) July 30, 2010 at 11:24 am

I love this! As I’ve grown up I realize how soothing this palette can be. I love silver/gray with pops of color. Excellent ideas too, sweetie. I’m sending on to my DIL. xx’s

• Reply Ludmila {creamylife.com} July 30, 2010 at 11:49 am

This is such a stylish and gorgeous combination! Amazing post, Leslie! Just as always! Hope you’ll have a beautiful weekend! xoxo

• Reply Eleanor (Oh Louise!) July 30, 2010 at 11:59 am

Oh my gosh..amazing! I looove the tape– & i think i need to be reading the Inside Out magazine! Awesome job on the post!

• Reply Nuit July 30, 2010 at 12:14 pm

whAt a delicious color…. I have NEON pInK on my Toe Nails and I AM the HAppIEsT giRl =D

• Reply mer July 30, 2010 at 12:21 pm

ooh, this one is really fun!

• Reply Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor July 30, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I LOVE this color combination! I was an 80’s girl so I have a secret fondness for Neon, but this combo is so modern and fresh. As far as stenciling goes, the trick is to work with fairly dry color, either a stencil creme, a powder or hardly any paint on your brush. sponge, cloth, finger, what-have-you. Then work you color in lightly, starting on the stencil and sweeping into the cutout. That way color doesn’t seep under the stencil and make a mess.

• Reply Holly of So Chic Decor July 30, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Lovely pictures! I love these colors together.

• Reply jadeee_d July 30, 2010 at 1:45 pm

loved this post leslie! such a lovely, fresh colour combination. and i LOVE that rob ryan tape.. i’m on the etsy store now and feel a shopping spree about to begin :] thanks for brightening up my day!

• Reply Ashley July 30, 2010 at 2:18 pm

I love the neon pink,gray, and white! Inspired!

• Reply PriscilaPetersDecor July 30, 2010 at 2:48 pm

That pillow on the 3rd photo…. wow!!

• Reply Laura Gaskill July 30, 2010 at 3:30 pm

80’s, yes, but the way you’ve put the colors together here just feels very fresh + current. Nice work, Leslie! Honestly, I wish I could just pull that inspiration board right out of my computer screen and hang it over my desk right NOW!

Have a lovely weekend Leslie (& Holly!) xo Laura

• Reply Catherine July 30, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Love it. I usually go for a riot of colour but I love this too

• Reply Jen A. July 30, 2010 at 4:33 pm

That is some supercool tape! I’ve never seen it before thanks for posting it.

• Reply Steph Bond @ Bondville July 30, 2010 at 7:30 pm

Hi Leslie, I absolutely love your inspiration this week and am obsessed with the Thank You plant. Genius.

• Reply patricia July 30, 2010 at 8:34 pm

I’ve never tried stencils myself but I’m very curious about working with them. To be perfectly honest the thing that makes me giddy is every time I purchase an Inside Out magazine. It’s my favorite magazine right now. So inspiring.

• Reply Torrie @ a place to share... July 30, 2010 at 10:33 pm

I love this color combination and I kind of like having memories of the eighties- with the bright pink and the stencil kits:). I write that as I sit hear watching an 80’s movie (Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure- a little ashamed to admit, but they’re sure enjoying it:) with my kids!

A couple of quick ?’s~ Regarding the white can… Did you put the white ribbon around the rim? I love this idea and want to do it myself! And- did you use acrylic paint for this? I’ve painted cans to use as vases/pen holders/etc. but with the paint that I used as it tended to peel off/scratch easily.

Thanks for the great ideas!

• Reply Torrie @ a place to share... July 30, 2010 at 10:34 pm

A couple of quick ?’s~ Regarding the white can… Did you put the white ribbon around the rim? I love this idea and want to do it myself! And- did you use acrylic paint for this? I’ve painted cans to use as vases/pen holders/etc. but the paint that I used tended to peel off/scratch easily.

Thanks for the great ideas!

• Reply Hazel July 31, 2010 at 6:59 am

LOVE LOVE LOVE this post! Inspiration at every turn!! OMG! Love it! I’m inspired to re-do my own inspiration boards now! :) Hazel

• Reply laura trevey July 31, 2010 at 9:02 am

I love the color combination of pink, black, and white…

• Reply Sandra Kuwartowski July 31, 2010 at 10:27 am

what a nice post – it shows me that tin and tape are very nice interior accessoiries. I never used stencils (except potatoe ones…) but I am screenprinting …. maybe a good idea to get the paint/ink evenly on the stencil is to have the stroke of brush first in vertical direction and then in horizontal direction (oh, I hope this makes sense to you…). Lovely post, Leslie – I love the neon pink (I often use it for my printing as well combined with gold, the pure 80ties groove)

• Reply decor8 July 31, 2010 at 1:45 pm

Leslie – My mother was the stencil queen so she taught me how to do them when I was little. She always taped her stencil down with masking tape and used a stipple brush and tap tap tap — that’s how she applied the paint as that was the best way to avoid it from bleeding outside of the pattern. It also has to do with the paint, if yours is too “wet” it will bleed so it’s best to use the creamy stencil paint – it’s in a tin and reminds me of cream blusher. Also, you always dab some on paper before applying it immediately to the stencil to dab off the excess and do this each time you refresh the paint on your brush. There is also a stencil spray paint which is usually used only on fabrics, it’s good too.

• Reply shelley t July 31, 2010 at 5:30 pm

leslie, you are seriously genius! this post, as all your posts, is absolutely gorgeous. this was actually one of my least enjoyed covers of ‘inside out’ but you made it come to life in ways that hadn’t even entered my mind. thanks for your take on our gorgeous aussie mag.

• Reply Susie M July 31, 2010 at 5:44 pm

I love love love neon pink. It amazes me how a small splash of bright color can liven up a neutral space. This post gave me a great idea for my own home. Thanks.

• Reply Brigitte July 31, 2010 at 6:38 pm

I love the shots that have just a hint of hot pink, especially that painted food jar.

• Reply Erica Cooper July 31, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Thanks for sharing the “inside out” color story. I am not sure would love the pink with the gray long term, but for a short splash of color, it works.
    I do love that you shared the chalk board… I am in love with chalk boards, especially the vintage style with unique handwritten script… that really gets my creative juices flowing. I also love the stacks of tape, that inspires me as well.
    Thanks for your post!

• Reply tamara nicole July 31, 2010 at 10:07 pm

What fun colors!!! Lovely lovely ideas, and seriously LOVE your blog!!!

• Reply Julie the Alkaline Sister August 1, 2010 at 2:26 am

Leslie, Is that new bench I spy yours? Love the graphic piped fabric on the white frame. So crisp and it could be accented with any colour cushion. Love the entire post, would have been fun for you to add a clip of 80’s music to listen to while we scrolled thru-don’t you think? Shania Twain or Lionel Ritchie- Hee!

• Reply Merissa August 1, 2010 at 5:44 am

My goodness Leslie! These are crazy beautiful! I always love the light in your photos and your eye for the little details that make your photos so special. I love the pop that the neon pink gives, it’s very fun and playful. I totally have that same magazine issue as well. The cover just caught my eye when I saw it at Barnes & Noble and once I flipped through the pages, I couldn’t put it down and ended up purchasing it. It was so cool to see your interpretation of the cover’s color story here. Your work has sparked such inspiration for me.
    xo, Merissa.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente August 1, 2010 at 10:35 am

Absolutely amazing…as always Leslie! I love, love, love this combo. Leave it to you to make me think of adding a bit of neon pink….thank you! :) Always so inspired by you & your inspiration. So don’t be surprised if my monday post is inspired by you! ;)
    xo
    Melis

• Reply Wikkie August 1, 2010 at 2:20 pm

What a beautiful colour combination! Just love the neon pink. It brings a special effect into your house when used subtile.
    In my shop I also sell the wall stickers of Mimi’lou who also uses neon pink as an accent. Take a look at muursticker ‘fils de perles’ for example.

• Reply Leigha August 1, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Exciting (and slightly unpredictable) color combination. Way to keep us on our toes…but still filled with delight!

• Reply The Design Dish August 2, 2010 at 7:15 am

I love color me pretty! What great posts!
    The Design Dish

• Reply Amelia August 2, 2010 at 9:02 am

when I did stencils, I cut out using a scalpel on acetate, masking taped down as you said, and I used spray paints to get an even finish.

Such lovely, inspiring ideas I want to go off and make, make, make!!!

Amelia.x

• Reply gina August 2, 2010 at 10:16 am

i think this combo is really pretty

• Reply steve August 2, 2010 at 5:48 pm

What a lovely series of colour combinations, very inspiring!

• Reply Hilary August 3, 2010 at 12:31 am

These colors…or lack thereof, are somehow completely refreshing to me.

• Reply Caitlin August 3, 2010 at 11:11 am

Oh my gosh this is so stunning- definitely my favourite ever! Something about these colours together looks so incredible and inspiring to me :) I am definitely going to incorporate some neon pink into my room!

• Reply martha brown August 3, 2010 at 12:34 pm

re: stenciling
    –if you are stenciling onto fabric, cut the stencil from freezer paper and then iron it onto the fabric. It makes a perfect stencil every time!

• Reply crt August 3, 2010 at 4:28 pm

This post is really inspiring… and offers a lot of great ideas! Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Sima Gilady August 5, 2010 at 3:46 pm

:::B E A U T I F U L:::

LOVE love LOve loVE this colour combo!

xoxo,
    Sima

• Reply Jessa August 5, 2010 at 9:20 pm

Love this so much!!! It’s a fabulous colour combo!!

Jessa xx

• Reply emily August 9, 2010 at 10:46 pm

Anybody know what that gray and white patterned fabric is in the first shot? Love it.
    thanks!

• Reply Z September 18, 2010 at 10:14 pm

Hi I love the pillow from the first photo too, (white & silver) can you tell me where it’s from?!

• Reply Glory September 11, 2012 at 5:40 am

I was looking for some inspiration for combining pink with other colors, and this is a blast! Thanks for sharing. :)

• Reply Katia October 31, 2012 at 10:49 pm

How I love these colors! I realli love black and withe and a little bit of pink!