Where Your Heart Is

Katrin is a twentysomething software developer by day who lives in Germany with her boyfriend and four pet rabbits! Yes, four! She authors a blog, Where Your Heart Is, where she writes about her interior transformations using mostly colorful paint, yarn (she crochets) and fabric — her hobbies include decorating and blogging which enable her to tap into her creative side after work and on the weekends.

You could describe her look as handmade living and a little Yvestown, a lot Cath Kidston and Greengate, Scandinavian Country (a big decor trend in Germany currently) and very, very girly and sweet. It may or may not appeal to your style but there is still something important to learn from lovely Katrin…

What I appreciate about Katrin’s style is that she buys furniture on eBay and transforms it into the cabinets and chairs that you see in her Flickr stream. Like the red cabinet, or the white one with the blue interior that was originally a depressing brown… or the brown chairs that she painted and they became the white ones in her kitchen with the pretty cushions that she upholstered herself.

Little changes like paint and fabric, can do so much to a piece of furniture — never walk by something you like at a flea market and turn it away because it’s the wrong color. If it’s the right shape and is made well, paint can give it the exact change needed to make it a cherished part of your home.

P.S. Love the stool!

(images: where your heart is)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips on August 04, 2010

1. Milk and Honey Home commented
    August 4th, 2010 at 12:36pm

Oh…how I love Scan. Country & a painted dresser! Lovely.
    Milk and Honey Home´s last blog post ..Baby Shower Design

2. Tina commented
    August 4th, 2010 at 12:37pm

What a lovely home, such great colors and charming all over! :-)
    Tina´s last blog post ..Gorgeous cake plate

3. Viktorija commented
    August 4th, 2010 at 12:54pm

I love it! Everything that is or seems like knitted :)
    Actually I love your blog, I’m following it for a long time :)

4. Afi commented
    August 4th, 2010 at 2:47pm

WOW!!! What a gorgeous place! I’m so happy to see my art on her walls! Hugs!! xoxo
    Afi´s last blog post ..House Sparrow

5. Ash commented
    August 4th, 2010 at 3:18pm

Her choices of colour are just beautiful! I love the resurrected pieces! Now I’m off to hunt on ebay for something for my studio, thanks for the inspiring post!
    Ash´s last blog post ..Aussie Mummy Bloggers Blog Carnival – the best of July

6. Jacilyn commented
    August 4th, 2010 at 3:38pm

I just love white walls with colored furniture. I so agree, it is amazing what a different color will do to a piece of furniture, that red cabinet is to die for, truly! I need to get my paint cans out and transform a few pieces here!
    Jacilyn´s last blog post ..collection- shades of ocean and deep secret pools

7. Coco commented
    August 4th, 2010 at 4:29pm

Wow i love this house, very inspiring!

8. Wahkuna commented
    August 4th, 2010 at 7:06pm

I agree! I love her style! These images are very inspirational! :-)

9. Terri Conrad commented
    August 4th, 2010 at 10:05pm

where my heart is, is oh so happy. Katrin’s three cabinets, the red, white and yellow ones, are delicious (they appear to be painted antiques)! Thanks for sharing her blog, I’m off to visit now.

Terri
    Terri Conrad´s last blog post ..Creative Visualization for My Journey and Yours

10. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    August 4th, 2010 at 11:59pm

Oh, I love the dresser in the bottom pic!
    Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog post ..My day

11. michelle commented
    August 5th, 2010 at 6:13am

I love that stool too!

Katrin’s home is very sweet. I bet Yvonne will be happy to see that Yvestown has become a decorating style :)

12. Iva commented
    August 5th, 2010 at 6:58am

Beautiful home! It is so effortlessly beautiful and cozy, it is just a place that you could live in, not just look at it in a magazine. Lovely!!
    Iva´s last blog post ..Life is Beautiful!

13. Jillian commented
    August 5th, 2010 at 9:17am

So pretty and colorful! I wish I could buy one of those stools somewhere!

14. Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas commented
    August 5th, 2010 at 10:04am

Lovin’ the colours and whimsical nature of the place!
    Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas´s last blog post ..Lovely Las Vegas- Fleur de Lys Tapas

15. Emily commented
    August 5th, 2010 at 4:18pm

I’m so in love with this bedroom! It’s so bright and cheerful; I want to go paint everything white now:)
    Emily´s last blog post ..Spread the Kindness!

16. Sarah commented
    August 5th, 2010 at 8:05pm

What a beautiful spot place! I’m getting tons of inspiration, thx!

17. JTay commented
    August 6th, 2010 at 12:25am

I love how it is all so colourful and cheerful, yet subdued and serene with the white. Lovely.
    JTay´s last blog post ..Reader Question- Turquoise Blue Chest

18. the fabled needle (jen) commented
    August 6th, 2010 at 11:42pm

oh my gosh, holly, i’m so inspired! i LOVE happy spaces like these. naturally, i love all the crochet and pretty colors against so much white. katrin has a very good eye for things, i must visit her blog – right now! :)

have a lovely weekend, dear!
    the fabled needle (jen)´s last blog post ..My Studio A Little Tour- at Last

19. Rick@Home Decor Accents commented
    August 9th, 2010 at 4:12am

Katrin did a great job fixing up older and used furniture pieces and creating such a charming living ambient.
    Although I would like to correct you a little bit about The Scandinavian Country decor trend. That decor trend has been popular in Germany for quite a while. It’s not really that new but like you said, it is very popular.

20. Josefina commented
    November 3rd, 2011 at 2:23am

Loved everything in that page, wish I had that stool at home, those prints OMG. Thanks to internet trends travel much faster. I can see homes here in Argentina decorated in similar ways and I just love it!