Decorating Tips

Where Your Heart Is

August 4, 2010

Katrin is a twentysomething software developer by day who lives in Germany with her boyfriend and four pet rabbits! Yes, four! She authors a blog, Where Your Heart Is, where she writes about her interior transformations using mostly colorful paint, yarn (she crochets) and fabric — her hobbies include decorating and blogging which enable her to tap into her creative side after work and on the weekends.

Where Your Heart Is

You could describe her look as handmade living and a little Yvestown, a lot Cath Kidston and Greengate, Scandinavian Country (a big decor trend in Germany currently) and very, very girly and sweet. It may or may not appeal to your style but there is still something important to learn from lovely Katrin…

Where Your Heart Is

What I appreciate about Katrin’s style is that she buys furniture on eBay and transforms it into the cabinets and chairs that you see in her Flickr stream. Like the red cabinet, or the white one with the blue interior that was originally a depressing brown… or the brown chairs that she painted and they became the white ones in her kitchen with the pretty cushions that she upholstered herself.

Where Your Heart Is
Where Your Heart Is

Where Your Heart Is

Little changes like paint and fabric, can do so much to a piece of furniture — never walk by something you like at a flea market and turn it away because it’s the wrong color. If it’s the right shape and is made well, paint can give it the exact change needed to make it a cherished part of your home.

P.S. Love the stool!

(images: where your heart is)

You Might Also Like

20 Comments

• Reply Milk and Honey Home August 4, 2010 at 12:36 pm

Oh…how I love Scan. Country & a painted dresser! Lovely.

• Reply Tina August 4, 2010 at 12:37 pm

What a lovely home, such great colors and charming all over! :-)

• Reply Viktorija August 4, 2010 at 12:54 pm

I love it! Everything that is or seems like knitted :)
    Actually I love your blog, I’m following it for a long time :)

• Reply Afi August 4, 2010 at 2:47 pm

WOW!!! What a gorgeous place! I’m so happy to see my art on her walls! Hugs!! xoxo

• Reply Ash August 4, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Her choices of colour are just beautiful! I love the resurrected pieces! Now I’m off to hunt on ebay for something for my studio, thanks for the inspiring post!

• Reply Jacilyn August 4, 2010 at 3:38 pm

I just love white walls with colored furniture. I so agree, it is amazing what a different color will do to a piece of furniture, that red cabinet is to die for, truly! I need to get my paint cans out and transform a few pieces here!

• Reply Coco August 4, 2010 at 4:29 pm

Wow i love this house, very inspiring!

• Reply Wahkuna August 4, 2010 at 7:06 pm

I agree! I love her style! These images are very inspirational! :-)

• Reply Terri Conrad August 4, 2010 at 10:05 pm

where my heart is, is oh so happy. Katrin’s three cabinets, the red, white and yellow ones, are delicious (they appear to be painted antiques)! Thanks for sharing her blog, I’m off to visit now.

Terri

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang August 4, 2010 at 11:59 pm

Oh, I love the dresser in the bottom pic!

• Reply michelle August 5, 2010 at 6:13 am

I love that stool too!

Katrin’s home is very sweet. I bet Yvonne will be happy to see that Yvestown has become a decorating style :)

• Reply Iva August 5, 2010 at 6:58 am

Beautiful home! It is so effortlessly beautiful and cozy, it is just a place that you could live in, not just look at it in a magazine. Lovely!!

• Reply Jillian August 5, 2010 at 9:17 am

So pretty and colorful! I wish I could buy one of those stools somewhere!

• Reply Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas August 5, 2010 at 10:04 am

Lovin’ the colours and whimsical nature of the place!

• Reply Emily August 5, 2010 at 4:18 pm

I’m so in love with this bedroom! It’s so bright and cheerful; I want to go paint everything white now:)

• Reply Sarah August 5, 2010 at 8:05 pm

What a beautiful spot place! I’m getting tons of inspiration, thx!

• Reply JTay August 6, 2010 at 12:25 am

I love how it is all so colourful and cheerful, yet subdued and serene with the white. Lovely.

• Reply the fabled needle (jen) August 6, 2010 at 11:42 pm

oh my gosh, holly, i’m so inspired! i LOVE happy spaces like these. naturally, i love all the crochet and pretty colors against so much white. katrin has a very good eye for things, i must visit her blog – right now! :)

have a lovely weekend, dear!

• Reply Rick@Home Decor Accents August 9, 2010 at 4:12 am

Katrin did a great job fixing up older and used furniture pieces and creating such a charming living ambient.
    Although I would like to correct you a little bit about The Scandinavian Country decor trend. That decor trend has been popular in Germany for quite a while. It’s not really that new but like you said, it is very popular.

• Reply Josefina November 3, 2011 at 2:23 am

Loved everything in that page, wish I had that stool at home, those prints OMG. Thanks to internet trends travel much faster. I can see homes here in Argentina decorated in similar ways and I just love it!