The Gorgeous Merci in Paris

While we’re on a roll today showing gorgeous stores, I thought I’d share some impressions with you of a gorgeous Parisian shop called Merci. Perhaps you’ve been? Or have heard of it before? I’ve not visited Merci but after seeing these photographs I couldn’t help but think I really need to hop on a train and visit sometime later this year.

Merci in Paris

I really need to go, I haven’t been to the city of lights in years (1998 was my last trip!) so I think after 12 years it is time to travel there again. So much has changed since I was in Paris last — I got married, I moved to Europe, and I finally have a little bit of pocket change to bring home some goodies other than a little metal Eiffel tower and a tee shirt. :) Next time I’m in Paris, I’m visiting Merci — but today, we’ll all visit virtually. Ready?

Merci in Paris

I love their cafe lined with books, the spools hanging from the ceiling, the sparkly chandeliers (I want a small one in my new bathroom – we’ll see!), and the giant “wig” on the sweet vintage red fiat. What a riot!

Thank you Jillian for sharing your photos with decor8 readers (and me!) today, I’ve loved your take on this pretty shop!

(images: jillian leiboff)

Posted by decor8 in Shop Tours on August 10, 2010

1. manon commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 2:16pm

J’aime beaucoup cette boutique,le restaurant est un endroit parfait pour passer un bon moment.

Amicalement,

manon
    manon´s last blog post ..Ampholia

2. Juana @ SweetVisualAids commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 2:26pm

Its already in my to go list next time I’m in Paris :D really lovely store!
    They recently had a partnership with Liberty London which produced some amazing products
    Juana @ SweetVisualAids´s last blog post ..Edinburgh- Road Trip

3. Heather commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 2:56pm

Ah, that’s a really nice shop; the next time I’m there, I’m there! I was in Paris a couple of weeks ago and found another really good one. Unfortunately, no matter how nicely I asked they wouldn’t allow me to take photos (I explained that I’m an interior designer/blogger and there were many ‘non, non, non’s’) and they also haven’t sent photos like they said they would, which makes me sad because it’s an UNBELIEVABLE shop and I have lots of good things to say. Seriously, next time you’re there, you have to have look see. It’s very close to The Lourve.

Another great shop is Ets Lion at 7 rue des Abbesses – 75018 Paris – (redesigned in 2006 by Interior designer Christophe Delcourt) This is not a self promoting effort, but looking at the pictures will give you an idea of what they sell >> http://livinginaprettyhowtown.blogspot.com/2010/04/little-piece-of-heaven.html
    Heather´s last blog post ..A Fashioned Pink

4. laura trevey commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 3:04pm

The spools on the ceiling is so adorable!! I would love to visit that store…
    laura trevey´s last blog post ..Bohemian Flair Coastal Living

5. Holly of So Chic Decor commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 3:20pm

Ooh I love all those books!
    Holly of So Chic Decor´s last blog post ..Friday Photography – Ivy Style

6. Kristan commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 3:24pm

Gorgeous shop indeed! The hanging spools and rainbows of color are my favorite. Thank you for sharing!
    Kristan´s last blog post ..Fun in the sun

7. Ylva commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 3:39pm

Looks absolutely lovely!
    Ylva´s last blog post ..Den stora svarta

8. Katherine commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 3:41pm

Love everything about this. Need to get to Paris ASAP.
    Katherine´s last blog post ..libraries are taking over

9. Lotta Agaton commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 3:46pm

Oh, I went there when i was in Paris a couple of weeks ago, it’s gorgeous, so much better than i expected..one of my alltime favourite shops!

Lottaxx
    Lotta Agaton´s last blog post ..Pinch

10. Caroline commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 3:53pm

Oh my goodness, that car! :) I was just through Paris and so sad I didn’t know about this shop. It looks like a place I would have spent hours exploring… On the list for next time!

Caroline
    Caroline´s last blog post ..A Posh Pâtisserie

11. Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 4:04pm

Great set up and so many cool things to browse adn buy!
    Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas´s last blog post ..Lovely Las Vegas- Happy New Week!

12. Torrie @ a place to share... commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 4:24pm

Absolutely beautiful.
    …someday:).
    Torrie @ a place to share…´s last blog post ..a place to share recipes

13. Susan commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 4:57pm

It’s on our itinerary for October…can’t wait! Great photos!
    Susan´s last blog post ..quote

14. Soiz commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 5:17pm

When I lived in Paris, It was one of my favourite place to shopping or to drink a good cup of tea. It’s a dangerous place! All is beautiful!

Soiz´s last blog post ..Brandi Strickland

15. Heather commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 5:17pm

What a great find! I’ve already printed a sheet off for my travel folder so I won’t forget to check it out the next time I visit Paris. Thanks Holly

16. Courtney commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 5:18pm

I need those pillows! and the pantone cups!!! and some of Jillian photos!
    I need it all haha
    I was just in Paris… Wish I would have known about this place!
    Courtney´s last blog post ..Surprise Monday

17. Melissa commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 5:48pm

What you should know about Merci–and you might want to add it into your post–is that they donate their profits to a children’s charity in Madagascar. So your purchases actually help people in need. How great is that?

18. Jessie-Lee commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 5:57pm

Wow! If I ever get the chance to go to Paris, I might need to schedule a day to spend in that store. It looks lovely. I especially enjoy all the color organization. Great images!
    Jessie-Lee´s last blog post ..For the Love of Letterpress

19. Stephanie Ryan commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 6:06pm

I love! A trip to Paris sounds amazing! How long is the train ride?
    Stephanie Ryan´s last blog post ..Trust

20. Sobinique commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 6:17pm

Thanks for sharing! I’m definitely gonna pay a visit to this store when I’m going to Paris in october! Can’t wait!
    Thank you so much for your lovely post with the pictures of my livingroom! I’m really honoured! :)
    Sobinique´s last blog post ..Kees van Dongen

21. Jessica commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 6:23pm

Holy Moley. When I was reading the beginning of this post I thought, “Ok, a cute shop in Paris, fun!” Then when I scrolled down my jaw dropped. Wow. Wow. LOVE. Great inspiration (since Paris isn’t in my future anytime soon), love it all, esp the hanging spools. Thank you for showing this!!! The shop is so different from a sweet little boutique. Love it.
    Jessica´s last blog post ..just one thing

22. Nuit commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 6:35pm

oh yes!!! LOVE merci =D
    Nuit´s last blog post ..before &amp after

23. Elkie commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 6:56pm

I’ve always wanted to go to Paris. The Fiat is perfect! Lol. It made me smile, thanks.
    Elkie´s last blog post ..Win a Sweet Tote Bag full of Beauty Products!

24. allizon commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 7:08pm

Wow, Merci looks like heaven! How was their price range?
    allizon´s last blog post ..We Are Hunted

25. CopyStrands commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 7:14pm

I just visited Merci on my recent trip to Paris and adored it! Bought a few things I will always treasure :) Snapped some photos of it too, they’re on my Flickr page :)
    CopyStrands´s last blog post ..Photos From My Trip to Paris- London and Brussels

26. CopyStrands commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 7:19pm

I just visited Merci on a recent trip to Paris. I bought a few things I’ll always treasure. I have a couple photos of the store on my Flickr page too :) It’s even more breathtaking in person.

27. Piper commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 7:20pm

Oh yes, Paris has been on my list of places to visit for years…one of these days I’ll get there!! I can only imagine how many wonderful stores like this there are!! Such inspiration…wow
    Piper´s last blog post ..shake it up – the scoop

28. Renee @ eatliveshop.com commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 7:50pm

Wow I’m in love! This shop looks like a place where I could spend hours browsing!
    Renee @ eatliveshop.com´s last blog post ..DIY- Sundae Bar

29. Gramercy Home commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 8:10pm

Merci beaucoup for the tour! I have’t had the pleasure of visiting the shop but look forward to one of these days.

30. frauheuberg commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 8:31pm

wow, never heard about it…amazing shop…wish i could fly for some hours to france and go shopping in this beautiful and inspiring shop…thanks for sharing…;)…great location and interior design…cheers and hugs…i…
    frauheuberg´s last blog post ..The wonderful The Sketchbook Project 2011

31. bussbuss commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 8:54pm

Oh, so fun to Merci on here today – it’s my favorite shop in the world! It was right next door to the flat we rented in Paris last fall and they are SO nice and let you take a zillion pictures. I have some more here (and history of Merci) if you want to see:

@allizon: The prices really range, which makes it fun. Clothing and acessories are hundreds of dollars, but you can pick up pencils for a few dollars. Everything’s so artfully displayed, but not in a hands-off way. It’s kind of like Anthropologie meets Takashimaya. And their book program is great. You can bring a book and swap for one or purchase used books for a few dollars each. Oh, and the charity thing is absolutely true. Also because of that, exclusive designer goodies are 30-40% off than their normal prices (because Merci donates all of its profits to charity, so they don’t mark up to retail prices, so it’s almost like shopping wholesale!).

Holly, they also have a floral shop in the front that you will love!

32. Ashley commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 8:59pm

Looks like a lovely shop… If i was only closer to Paris.

33. the Business Yogini commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 9:13pm

Oooh, so HAPPY to have stumbled across this, as we are leaving for Paris on Saturday!! I will definitely be going here — thanks so much! Love, love, love your site!
    the Business Yogini´s last blog post ..That Yoga Glow for your Business

34. Penny Patten commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 9:30pm

It looks huge! Love the books in the cafe’, the chandelier’s and the spools hanging. It looks like a very unique place!
    Penny Patten´s last blog post ..My Newest Publications

35. Melanie commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 9:47pm

Oh, I’ve been there and it is indeed such a gorgous place! Even if you don’t buy anything it is such a great source of inspiration. I could have spent hours in there…It’s definite worth visiting!
    Love, Melanie from Dusseldorf, Germany

36. Interior Design Miami commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 9:49pm

Merci is like a dream! I want to visit it sooo badly now! I love the Pantone mugs, received a purple one as a gift from a vendor recently:)
    Interior Design Miami´s last blog post ..If you register your site for free at

37. hena tayeb commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 9:59pm

the shop looks great.. wish i’d known about it when i was in paris last year
    hena tayeb´s last blog post ..Where do the days go

38. Mithi commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 10:15pm

Really nice shop with really nice decor … been twice now on two separate trips to Paris …. but must say, didn’t buy anything at either trip as everything was on the slightly expensive side … but yes, a bit like a French Anthropologie (another beautiful but expensive shop…)
    Mithi´s last blog post ..Planetmithi News

39. Kate [Union Jack Creative] commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 10:33pm

The pencils, separated by color, in containers of their respective colors?? I die. Amazing, as is everything else Jillian captured about the space. Thank you for sharing!
    Kate [Union Jack Creative]´s last blog post ..Light as a Feather

40. Lupi commented
    August 10th, 2010 at 11:16pm

what a lovely, lovely shop! thx for sharing!

41. trae bien commented
    August 11th, 2010 at 12:23am

C’est Magnifique!!

42. Ann commented
    August 11th, 2010 at 1:02am

Oh, the dinnerware! So beautiful!

43. Penny (Pocket Carnival) commented
    August 11th, 2010 at 1:22am

The car! Amazing!
    Penny (Pocket Carnival)´s last blog post ..garden lust

44. nattie commented
    August 11th, 2010 at 2:11am

drools over the books and the homewares! totally in my list to visit if I go to Paris!

45. Edyta commented
    August 11th, 2010 at 2:42am

What a wonderful shop!
    I would love to visit. I will have to look it up when I am in Paris.
    Have a wonderful week!

xoxo
    Edyta

46. monica of hola!design commented
    August 11th, 2010 at 3:52am

I wish I’d know about this when I visited Paris 3 years ago! oh well, I’ll just have to go again! hehe, I must visit this store , it’s adorable!
    monica of hola!design´s last blog post ..Piero Corva

47. Kathryn commented
    August 11th, 2010 at 5:12am

Sigh, sigh, sigh … We were in Paris and had only one day left on our trip. I was determined to visit Merci. Alas, it was ferme!!! I was so heartbroken that I didn’t make it inside. I’ve been dying to visit Merci for several years. Perhaps it was worth canceling our flight back …

48. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    August 11th, 2010 at 7:32am

The wig makes me smile. Thank you!
    Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog post ..Clares Day

49. eva commented
    August 11th, 2010 at 8:51am

This place are great.. all the stuff are adorable,unique and the huge cabinet w/ plenty of books.wow! very interesting to go with…

50. Lisa commented
    August 11th, 2010 at 2:29pm

You must go! It is the most amazing store ever!

Every corner i turned in store took my breath away. Gorgeous. And did you know 100% of their profits go to help children and women in Madagasgar? A true charity shop…..so you can can spend lots and feel good at the same time!

the owner of the store (Marie France Cohen) was the founder of the French childrens brand Bonpoint. So much good taste and talent.

Well enjoy it when you get the chance to go (and make sure you have a coffee in their cafe).
    Lisa x

51. Harmoni og Kontrast commented
    August 11th, 2010 at 8:39pm

I love this store, one more reason (as if we needed more…) to go to Paris!! I can’t wait to see it in real life…
    Harmoni og Kontrast´s last blog post ..Sykkeltur til Fetsund Lenser

52. Katherine commented
    August 11th, 2010 at 10:05pm

Well that’s gone straight on the list of things to do next time I go to Paris! Thanks for posting this!
    Katherine´s last blog post ..Nosh at Illegal Jacks

53. Gina commented
    August 11th, 2010 at 11:58pm

this shop is amazing! i would love to visit :)
    Gina´s last blog post ..closet break in

54. Lyjan commented
    August 12th, 2010 at 4:47am

that’s a really nice shop, hope to get a chance to visit there.

55. susan J. Smith commented
    August 12th, 2010 at 10:46am

Wow. I go to Paris often but have missed this shop. Looks marvelous. Will put it on my list for the next trip. Your photos are fabulous!
    susan J. Smith´s last blog post ..Design Your Life

56. Karine Ardault commented
    August 12th, 2010 at 8:19pm

Merci is a great place. More than a shop. I visited it for the first time this year. The books in the photo are second hand books at totally ridiculous prices (like 2€ – books are usually expensive in france). There is a cafe/snack corner.
    I made a short post about it earlier this year: http://karineardault.typepad.com/karine_ardault/2010/05/merci-merci.html.html and there is even another short of the cute car which at the time was “wearing” liberty painting!

57. Karine Ardault commented
    August 12th, 2010 at 8:46pm

I meant shot, sorry for the typo, Holly.
    Karine Ardault´s last blog post ..Its ok

58. Becs commented
    August 15th, 2010 at 12:47am

Love it!!!!! Would love to mooch in here!!!!
    Becs´s last blog post ..Apron Fun

59. decor8 commented
    August 15th, 2010 at 12:05pm

I’m so glad that everyone has responded so enthusiastically about this place — makes me want to go even more now!

60. stella commented
    September 9th, 2010 at 1:58am

adorable :)

61. Molly Watson commented
    May 2nd, 2013 at 9:52pm

Love this post about Merci in Paris! I have a mid-May trip planned with my dear mom who is visiting us here in Germany so in between hunting down some awesome vintage finds and snapping pictures in front of the Eifel Tower, we will have to find this store. Thanks for sharing! :) ~Molly