Shop Tours

August 10, 2010

While we’re on a roll today showing gorgeous stores, I thought I’d share some impressions with you of a gorgeous Parisian shop called Merci. Perhaps you’ve been? Or have heard of it before? I’ve not visited Merci but after seeing these photographs I couldn’t help but think I really need to hop on a train and visit sometime later this year.

The Gorgeous Merci in Paris

I really need to go, I haven’t been to the city of lights in years (1998 was my last trip!) so I think after 12 years it is time to travel there again. So much has changed since I was in Paris last — I got married, I moved to Europe, and I finally have a little bit of pocket change to bring home some goodies other than a little metal Eiffel tower and a tee shirt. :) Next time I’m in Paris, I’m visiting Merci — but today, we’ll all visit virtually. Ready?

The Gorgeous Merci in Paris

I love their cafe lined with books, the spools hanging from the ceiling, the sparkly chandeliers (I want a small one in my new bathroom – we’ll see!), and the giant “wig” on the sweet vintage red fiat. What a riot!

Thank you Jillian for sharing your photos with decor8 readers (and me!) today, I’ve loved your take on this pretty shop!

(images: jillian leiboff)

You Might Also Like

• Reply manon August 10, 2010 at 2:16 pm

J’aime beaucoup cette boutique,le restaurant est un endroit parfait pour passer un bon moment.

• Reply Juana @ SweetVisualAids August 10, 2010 at 2:26 pm

Its already in my to go list next time I’m in Paris :D really lovely store!
    They recently had a partnership with Liberty London which produced some amazing products

• Reply Heather August 10, 2010 at 2:56 pm

Ah, that’s a really nice shop; the next time I’m there, I’m there! I was in Paris a couple of weeks ago and found another really good one. Unfortunately, no matter how nicely I asked they wouldn’t allow me to take photos (I explained that I’m an interior designer/blogger and there were many ‘non, non, non’s’) and they also haven’t sent photos like they said they would, which makes me sad because it’s an UNBELIEVABLE shop and I have lots of good things to say. Seriously, next time you’re there, you have to have look see. It’s very close to The Lourve.

Another great shop is Ets Lion at 7 rue des Abbesses – 75018 Paris – (redesigned in 2006 by Interior designer Christophe Delcourt) This is not a self promoting effort, but looking at the pictures will give you an idea of what they sell >>

• Reply laura trevey August 10, 2010 at 3:04 pm

The spools on the ceiling is so adorable!! I would love to visit that store…

• Reply Holly of So Chic Decor August 10, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Ooh I love all those books!

• Reply Kristan August 10, 2010 at 3:24 pm

Gorgeous shop indeed! The hanging spools and rainbows of color are my favorite. Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Ylva August 10, 2010 at 3:39 pm

Looks absolutely lovely!

• Reply Katherine August 10, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Love everything about this. Need to get to Paris ASAP.

• Reply Lotta Agaton August 10, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Oh, I went there when i was in Paris a couple of weeks ago, it’s gorgeous, so much better than i of my alltime favourite shops!

• Reply Caroline August 10, 2010 at 3:53 pm

Oh my goodness, that car! :) I was just through Paris and so sad I didn’t know about this shop. It looks like a place I would have spent hours exploring… On the list for next time!

• Reply Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas August 10, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Great set up and so many cool things to browse adn buy!

• Reply Torrie @ a place to share... August 10, 2010 at 4:24 pm

Absolutely beautiful.

• Reply Susan August 10, 2010 at 4:57 pm

It’s on our itinerary for October…can’t wait! Great photos!

• Reply Soiz August 10, 2010 at 5:17 pm

When I lived in Paris, It was one of my favourite place to shopping or to drink a good cup of tea. It’s a dangerous place! All is beautiful!

• Reply Heather August 10, 2010 at 5:17 pm

What a great find! I’ve already printed a sheet off for my travel folder so I won’t forget to check it out the next time I visit Paris. Thanks Holly

• Reply Courtney August 10, 2010 at 5:18 pm

I need those pillows! and the pantone cups!!! and some of Jillian photos!
    I need it all haha
    I was just in Paris… Wish I would have known about this place!

• Reply Melissa August 10, 2010 at 5:48 pm

What you should know about Merci–and you might want to add it into your post–is that they donate their profits to a children’s charity in Madagascar. So your purchases actually help people in need. How great is that?

• Reply Jessie-Lee August 10, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Wow! If I ever get the chance to go to Paris, I might need to schedule a day to spend in that store. It looks lovely. I especially enjoy all the color organization. Great images!

• Reply Stephanie Ryan August 10, 2010 at 6:06 pm

I love! A trip to Paris sounds amazing! How long is the train ride?

• Reply Sobinique August 10, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Thanks for sharing! I’m definitely gonna pay a visit to this store when I’m going to Paris in october! Can’t wait!
    Thank you so much for your lovely post with the pictures of my livingroom! I’m really honoured! :)

• Reply Jessica August 10, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Holy Moley. When I was reading the beginning of this post I thought, “Ok, a cute shop in Paris, fun!” Then when I scrolled down my jaw dropped. Wow. Wow. LOVE. Great inspiration (since Paris isn’t in my future anytime soon), love it all, esp the hanging spools. Thank you for showing this!!! The shop is so different from a sweet little boutique. Love it.

• Reply Nuit August 10, 2010 at 6:35 pm

oh yes!!! LOVE merci =D

• Reply Elkie August 10, 2010 at 6:56 pm

I’ve always wanted to go to Paris. The Fiat is perfect! Lol. It made me smile, thanks.

• Reply allizon August 10, 2010 at 7:08 pm

Wow, Merci looks like heaven! How was their price range?

• Reply CopyStrands August 10, 2010 at 7:14 pm

I just visited Merci on my recent trip to Paris and adored it! Bought a few things I will always treasure :) Snapped some photos of it too, they’re on my Flickr page :)

• Reply CopyStrands August 10, 2010 at 7:19 pm

I just visited Merci on a recent trip to Paris. I bought a few things I’ll always treasure. I have a couple photos of the store on my Flickr page too :) It’s even more breathtaking in person.

• Reply Piper August 10, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Oh yes, Paris has been on my list of places to visit for years…one of these days I’ll get there!! I can only imagine how many wonderful stores like this there are!! Such inspiration…wow

• Reply Renee @ August 10, 2010 at 7:50 pm

Wow I’m in love! This shop looks like a place where I could spend hours browsing!

• Reply Gramercy Home August 10, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Merci beaucoup for the tour! I have’t had the pleasure of visiting the shop but look forward to one of these days.

• Reply frauheuberg August 10, 2010 at 8:31 pm

wow, never heard about it…amazing shop…wish i could fly for some hours to france and go shopping in this beautiful and inspiring shop…thanks for sharing…;)…great location and interior design…cheers and hugs…i…

• Reply bussbuss August 10, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Oh, so fun to Merci on here today – it’s my favorite shop in the world! It was right next door to the flat we rented in Paris last fall and they are SO nice and let you take a zillion pictures. I have some more here (and history of Merci) if you want to see:

@allizon: The prices really range, which makes it fun. Clothing and acessories are hundreds of dollars, but you can pick up pencils for a few dollars. Everything’s so artfully displayed, but not in a hands-off way. It’s kind of like Anthropologie meets Takashimaya. And their book program is great. You can bring a book and swap for one or purchase used books for a few dollars each. Oh, and the charity thing is absolutely true. Also because of that, exclusive designer goodies are 30-40% off than their normal prices (because Merci donates all of its profits to charity, so they don’t mark up to retail prices, so it’s almost like shopping wholesale!).

Holly, they also have a floral shop in the front that you will love!

• Reply Ashley August 10, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Looks like a lovely shop… If i was only closer to Paris.

• Reply the Business Yogini August 10, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Oooh, so HAPPY to have stumbled across this, as we are leaving for Paris on Saturday!! I will definitely be going here — thanks so much! Love, love, love your site!

• Reply Penny Patten August 10, 2010 at 9:30 pm

It looks huge! Love the books in the cafe’, the chandelier’s and the spools hanging. It looks like a very unique place!

• Reply Melanie August 10, 2010 at 9:47 pm

Oh, I’ve been there and it is indeed such a gorgous place! Even if you don’t buy anything it is such a great source of inspiration. I could have spent hours in there…It’s definite worth visiting!
    Love, Melanie from Dusseldorf, Germany

• Reply Interior Design Miami August 10, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Merci is like a dream! I want to visit it sooo badly now! I love the Pantone mugs, received a purple one as a gift from a vendor recently:)

• Reply hena tayeb August 10, 2010 at 9:59 pm

the shop looks great.. wish i’d known about it when i was in paris last year

• Reply Mithi August 10, 2010 at 10:15 pm

Really nice shop with really nice decor … been twice now on two separate trips to Paris …. but must say, didn’t buy anything at either trip as everything was on the slightly expensive side … but yes, a bit like a French Anthropologie (another beautiful but expensive shop…)

• Reply Kate [Union Jack Creative] August 10, 2010 at 10:33 pm

The pencils, separated by color, in containers of their respective colors?? I die. Amazing, as is everything else Jillian captured about the space. Thank you for sharing!

• Reply Lupi August 10, 2010 at 11:16 pm

what a lovely, lovely shop! thx for sharing!

• Reply trae bien August 11, 2010 at 12:23 am

C’est Magnifique!!

• Reply Ann August 11, 2010 at 1:02 am

Oh, the dinnerware! So beautiful!

• Reply Penny (Pocket Carnival) August 11, 2010 at 1:22 am

The car! Amazing!

• Reply nattie August 11, 2010 at 2:11 am

drools over the books and the homewares! totally in my list to visit if I go to Paris!

• Reply Edyta August 11, 2010 at 2:42 am

What a wonderful shop!
    I would love to visit. I will have to look it up when I am in Paris.
    Have a wonderful week!

• Reply monica of hola!design August 11, 2010 at 3:52 am

I wish I’d know about this when I visited Paris 3 years ago! oh well, I’ll just have to go again! hehe, I must visit this store , it’s adorable!

• Reply Kathryn August 11, 2010 at 5:12 am

Sigh, sigh, sigh … We were in Paris and had only one day left on our trip. I was determined to visit Merci. Alas, it was ferme!!! I was so heartbroken that I didn’t make it inside. I’ve been dying to visit Merci for several years. Perhaps it was worth canceling our flight back …

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang August 11, 2010 at 7:32 am

The wig makes me smile. Thank you!

• Reply eva August 11, 2010 at 8:51 am

This place are great.. all the stuff are adorable,unique and the huge cabinet w/ plenty of! very interesting to go with…

• Reply Lisa August 11, 2010 at 2:29 pm

You must go! It is the most amazing store ever!

Every corner i turned in store took my breath away. Gorgeous. And did you know 100% of their profits go to help children and women in Madagasgar? A true charity shop… you can can spend lots and feel good at the same time!

the owner of the store (Marie France Cohen) was the founder of the French childrens brand Bonpoint. So much good taste and talent.

Well enjoy it when you get the chance to go (and make sure you have a coffee in their cafe).
    Lisa x

• Reply Harmoni og Kontrast August 11, 2010 at 8:39 pm

I love this store, one more reason (as if we needed more…) to go to Paris!! I can’t wait to see it in real life…

• Reply Katherine August 11, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Well that’s gone straight on the list of things to do next time I go to Paris! Thanks for posting this!

• Reply Gina August 11, 2010 at 11:58 pm

this shop is amazing! i would love to visit :)

• Reply Lyjan August 12, 2010 at 4:47 am

that’s a really nice shop, hope to get a chance to visit there.

• Reply susan J. Smith August 12, 2010 at 10:46 am

Wow. I go to Paris often but have missed this shop. Looks marvelous. Will put it on my list for the next trip. Your photos are fabulous!

• Reply Karine Ardault August 12, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Merci is a great place. More than a shop. I visited it for the first time this year. The books in the photo are second hand books at totally ridiculous prices (like 2€ – books are usually expensive in france). There is a cafe/snack corner.
    I made a short post about it earlier this year: and there is even another short of the cute car which at the time was “wearing” liberty painting!

• Reply Karine Ardault August 12, 2010 at 8:46 pm

I meant shot, sorry for the typo, Holly.

• Reply Becs August 15, 2010 at 12:47 am

Love it!!!!! Would love to mooch in here!!!!

• Reply decor8 August 15, 2010 at 12:05 pm

I’m so glad that everyone has responded so enthusiastically about this place — makes me want to go even more now!

• Reply stella September 9, 2010 at 1:58 am

adorable :)

• Reply Molly Watson May 2, 2013 at 9:52 pm

Love this post about Merci in Paris! I have a mid-May trip planned with my dear mom who is visiting us here in Germany so in between hunting down some awesome vintage finds and snapping pictures in front of the Eifel Tower, we will have to find this store. Thanks for sharing! :) ~Molly