Color Me Pretty: Navy Stripes + Salmon

Hello friends, it is Leslie here with my latest Color Me Pretty series. This time around I got really inspired by navy, straw, salmon, a little lemon, a little wood and denim.

Color Me Pretty: August

These colors work well together in clothing and I found myself tearing out images from the early summer catalogs of J.Crew, Madewell and Noa Noa to include in my mood boards.

Color Me Pretty: August

Don’t you think clothing catalogs can be a treasure trove for ideas about color and texture? We have seen how fashion can inspire interior design projects but it can also inspire much smaller projects, like how you wrap a present or combine papers for your next collage.

Color Me Pretty: August

With navy it seems to be all about stripes, in fashion, on my Japanese bowls, striped ribbon from New York. I just had to paint some for you, as I like how watercolor can make stripes look even fresher, if that is possible!

Color Me Pretty: August

Color Me Pretty: August

Once I started doodling with the navy paint I had a hard time stopping and after the stripes I ended up writing with my paint brush, painting patterns on envelopes and decorating plain paper fans. I can imagine that a few hand painted fans on a wall would be really pretty. Painting fans is also a fun project with kids as my daughter and her friend loved painting their own too. I picked up the plain uncoated paper fans in LA’s Chinatown for a dollar or so each. The paper was pretty thick and a good surface for the watercolor paint.

Color Me Pretty: August

Some of my stripe patterns got cut into squares and made into stapled quilts for my corkboard. I saw pieces of paper stapled together like this at an Anthropologie store near my home. I thought it was a great idea to show you as you could make something similar for your walls or for a card with little bits of paper or with photographs.

Color Me Pretty: August

Color Me Pretty: August

Color Me Pretty: August

Finally, I wanted to show you how these colors even inspire my desk. I love looking at ever changing little boxes and rolls of tapes. The wooden dispensers from Uguisu are a constant, as is the beautiful card-file from lovelydesign and the artwork. I framed a series of small prints by Catherine Campbell of My Folk Lover together to form a grid so that I could view all of them all of the time.

Color Me Pretty: August

I hope you found something today that may inspire a creative project for you. Please enjoy the rest of August and I will see you back here next month. – Leslie

- – - – -
Psst: If you’d like to see more lovely inspirations from Leslie and her Color Me Pretty column, please refer to this page to view gorgeous color palettes to inspire you today!

- – - – -

Like what you see? If you’d like to learn how to create your own moodboards and learn how to style your own photos for your blog, Leslie is co-teaching Blogging Your Way, an online self-paced class along with me next month for 4 weeks where you will learn all of this and more. To enroll (hurry space is limited!), you may click here. Class is for all levels and you DO NOT need a blog to participate in this class  but it would be helpful if you started one during the class so you can start applying your newfound education! :)

(images: leslie shewring)

Posted by decor8 in Color Inspiration, Color Me Pretty on August 19, 2010

1. carrie leber commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 4:12pm

those images are so beautiful – especially the peonies! what a great post.
    carrie leber´s last blog post ..A Very Vogue InteriorScape

2. Delaney Gates commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 4:17pm

*sigh* How utterly inspiring. I love the mood boards. The little wooden spoons and trinkets tucked in the envelopes are so sweet!

3. Ludmila {creamylife.com} commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 4:17pm

gorgeous! this color palette is like a summer-fall dream, when we say bye to summer and welcome the fall. it’s absolutely stunning!
    Ludmila {creamylife.com}´s last blog post ..Monique Germon – Designer- Stylist and Photographer

4. michelle commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 4:19pm

wow, just wow. this is my favorite color me pretty column yet. i’m such a sucker for navy.
    michelle´s last blog post ..A Splurge &amp A Steal

5. decor8 commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 4:27pm

Michelle I think you say that each week. ;) Me too though, me too.

6. Marisa commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 4:30pm

Wow! So gorgeous. I’m in love with the painting you did on the paper fans… and the sweet watercolours too! So much inspiration, thank you for sharing!

7. Piper (DailyDivaDish) commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 4:34pm

Very inspiring! Such a pretty color combination! And your desk is gorgeous.
    XO Piper
    Piper (DailyDivaDish)´s last blog post ..Rosemary Beach Vacation Rental

8. Eric commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 4:34pm

American stamps are so boring compared to these. What do we have to offer? Elvis and Mickey Mouse. You have great old-world designs….

9. Christine commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 4:39pm

ooo! Love these colours, they’re so preppy and summery!
    Christine´s last blog post ..Anthropologie love letters

10. Kelly commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 4:59pm

ooohhh, I love these colors together

11. My Owl Barn commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 5:01pm

This is such a beautiful combination. The last image is gorgeous!
    My Owl Barn´s last blog post ..Wisdom Owl Clutch by Judith Leiber

12. Lex commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 5:01pm

I love these colours, they are so calming! What type of flowers are those? They look like a rose hybrid.

13. Victoria Klein commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 5:09pm

So very beautiful! The color combination is both fun & sophisticated at the same time – a tough thing to accomplish.

14. michelle commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 5:09pm

:) Leslie’s talent just blows me away. I love how she creates artwork specifically for each column, how the actual supplies become a piece of art, i love all of it.
    michelle´s last blog post ..A Splurge &amp A Steal

15. C. commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 5:59pm

These are incredibly wonderful and inspiring!
    And I agree with you about catalogues giving so much ideas. I keep a lot of them for inspiration.

16. krystyna81 commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 6:02pm

I love the idea of painting fans with your little girl! Maybe my daughter and I (who has already taken over my studio!) will try that, too. I love blue and white…and the slightest shift in saturation or temperature changes it’s character so completely.
    krystyna81´s last blog post ..Pastel Portrait Video

17. Mads Mom commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 6:13pm

These are gorgeous. Reminds me of an article I just read in the Sept. RealSimple, combining Teal and Red for fall.
    But this is fresh and sweet. (And just like my daughter who is dressed in pink stripes and navy today…very french!)

18. Jessica Ashley commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 6:41pm

This just took my breath away…I emailed it to one of my brides in hopes she loves it as much as I do.

19. Will commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 6:54pm

Styling heaven. It’s going down here! It’s those blue and white stripes…they get me every time.
    Will´s last blog post ..Home Tour- Downtown LA Loft

20. Melissa de la fuente commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 6:54pm

Oh…Leslie, this might be my most favorite ever. Just gorgeous and so fresh… I love the quilt idea and love your desk with the beautiful tape dispensers. sigh… So good.
    xo
    Melis

21. April commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 7:13pm

What a lovely color combination! It makes me want to dive right back into my art journal, but I’ll have to save it for tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration.
    April´s last blog post ..Getting Over the Social Media Hump

22. La Belle Vie commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 7:22pm

I have to be honest. I’ve never been a fan of Navy blue but this column is so gorgeous I may gave to reevaluate! Wow!! The Colour Me Pretty is always so inspiring…

Jessa xx
    La Belle Vie´s last blog post ..Youve Got Mail

23. sera commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 7:31pm

I think you have inspired me to redo my entire blog in these colors. I was wooing the sun to come with an orange background but oh how I love the patterns and stripes and loveliness that you have tossed together here. so lovely!

24. Terri commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 7:51pm

I love your mood boards, Leslie! This one has such a wonderful color combination!
    Terri´s last blog post ..Im Smitten

25. Eliza commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 7:52pm

ahh…so inspired by the lovely Leslie and her amazing color palettes…yet again! Also, I wanted to absolutely recommend taking the Blogging Your Way course with Leslie and Holly! I took it last spring and am still referring back to my notes and integrating things I learned from the class. Leslie had so much to share about how to style and take photos…what I learned in those few weeks from her would have taken me years to figure out on my own…it was SO helpful. Not only that, but with all of Holly’s amazing insights and wisdom about stepping more fully into who you are and utilizing the creative potential of blogging, this course is not to be missed!

26. Liz commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 7:54pm

Wow! The color combination and images are simply mesmerizing. I love the paper fans!

27. Andy Mathis commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 7:57pm

Wow- painting those fans like that is inspired. Very lovely.

*wishes I had thought of that idea* :) *
    Andy Mathis´s last blog post ..2011 Cat Charity Calendar

28. Piper commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 8:00pm

Oh you had me at navy stripes!! I’m so into stripes right now – pillows, rugs, paper, anything! These are just gorgeous images. I love the combos you put together.

29. Emma commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 8:22pm

What a great palette. It feels very fresh and new. I feel like we haven’t seen this combination in awhile. I would love to see it come into fashion and home accessories. Really inspiring.
    Emma´s last blog post ..super quick sweet treats

30. leni commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 8:42pm

the blue writing is just gorgeous.

31. Jaime commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 9:17pm

I love the flowers and that cute clutch in the first pic!

32. Cindy commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 9:22pm

Is space still available for one more in the blogging course? I tried to register but it requires a blog url – and I thought it was possible to take the class even if your blog isn’t set up yet. I’d love to sign up!

33. MIMÓZA commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 9:34pm

gorgeous! Leslie, I was inspired by the exact same colours in a recent necklace design, you can take at look at it on my blog here: http://mimozadesign.blogspot.com/2010/07/honey-loves-sea.html

34. decor8 commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 9:39pm

Cindy you can enter http://decor8blog.com in that field, I’ll have my web admin update this asap!

35. DT commented
    August 19th, 2010 at 10:37pm

Splendid colors and fresh designs!

36. lush bella commented
    August 20th, 2010 at 12:29am

this is just so wonderful! the photography, the colors, the handpainted paper fan! love your column leslie!
    lush bella´s last blog post ..dreaming of windows

37. SeaGal commented
    August 20th, 2010 at 12:31am

These are beautiful, such a creative idea. I love the blue and white striping..
    SeaGal´s last blog post ..Little Treasures Bring Sweet Pleasures

38. sideoats + scribbles (Lisa) commented
    August 20th, 2010 at 12:53am

Oh my, Leslie! I don’t know how you do it, but your Color Me Pretty columns make me feel so energized and happy, yet relaxed and peaceful all at the same time! Does that make any sense at all? Thank you so much! :)
    sideoats + scribbles (Lisa)´s last blog post ..Lawn Fawn hearts Cards for Kids blog hop!

39. julie commented
    August 20th, 2010 at 1:04am

Beautiful, I love colour combinations.
    julie´s last blog post ..how to get a song stuck in your head- in style

40. Leslie commented
    August 20th, 2010 at 2:27am

Ooooh my gosh….this has to be my most favourite colour me pretty so far! Such a fab combination…I could gush about this all day. I am in love with all of it. I feel so inspired and have just signed up for the blogging course because I want to create beautiful posts like this too. (or at least try!).
    Leslie´s last blog post ..Neverending story print

41. Jessica @ Reclaimed Marketplace commented
    August 20th, 2010 at 6:35am

Wow, these photos are gorgeous.The colors are awesome! I actually have these colors in my family room! A bright coral/salmon couch with navy pillows! We have kinda a bright striped rug down right now but I think we should switch it out for a more raw tweed look like your showing here. Thanks!
    Jessica @ Reclaimed Marketplace´s last blog post ..guess who came over!

42. irene commented
    August 20th, 2010 at 2:50pm

these colors are really, really beautiful! i love this post :)
    irene´s last blog post ..elder

43. Chloe commented
    August 20th, 2010 at 8:47pm

Perfection!

44. fresh365 commented
    August 20th, 2010 at 10:45pm

I can’t get enough stripes right now! The pairing with the salmon = perfection. I’m craving those Japanese bowls too!

45. Charlotta commented
    August 21st, 2010 at 12:24am

I loved this post!
    The colour combination is fantastic and the crafty inspiration divine.
    Love the hand painted fans and the little indigo cards. So much to smile over here.

Have a gorgeous weekend and thank you .

xx C
    Charlotta´s last blog post ..Changeing season and GIVE-AWAY

46. Julie the Alkaline Sister commented
    August 21st, 2010 at 8:03am

I’m with fresh 365- “can’t get enough of those stripes!, I’m wearing them right now! I have scarves, dresses, coverups, sneakers you name it! Great post Les, luved the combo!
    Julie the Alkaline Sister´s last blog post ..Watermelon &amp Fresh Mint Juice-Watermelon benefits 101

47. Kira commented
    August 21st, 2010 at 1:30pm

I love the watercolour material you included in the pictures!!!
    Have a nice weekend !!!

48. Amanda {Mocking Bird} commented
    August 21st, 2010 at 10:13pm

Oh my goodness, what a beautiful post.
    I love how you’ve put these colours together. So pretty.
    Thanks for the gorgeous inspiration.
    Amanda {Mocking Bird}´s last blog post ..Gypsy Girls and Sailors

49. Hilary commented
    August 22nd, 2010 at 1:01am

that color combination is absolutely lovely!

50. Katie commented
    August 22nd, 2010 at 5:41am

oh, wow, awesome combo. I’m wishing I had some salmon-toned fabrics to go with the faded denim sitting in my fabric stack right now…
    I think I’d throw in a bit of antique lace with the combo, too. It’d be a fun way to incorporate the same feel as straw into a wardrobe.
    Katie´s last blog post ..It’s this time of year

51. The Jeanny commented
    August 23rd, 2010 at 2:22pm

very nice colors <3

52. Frida commented
    August 23rd, 2010 at 10:23pm

I love your pictures. Such an inspiring post! I want to grab my own camera right away. THANKS!
    Frida´s last blog post ..Stilig ungkarlslya i Göteborg

53. kms commented
    August 24th, 2010 at 9:00pm

Love, love, love this post as these are my destination wedding colors! Men will be in navy seersucker and the ladies are in coral J. Crew dresses. These colors obviously make my heart melt. Thanks for this post!!!

54. Caitlin commented
    August 26th, 2010 at 6:23pm

Love love love, of course :) ! So amazing.
    Caitlin´s last blog post ..Animal Print for Summer

55. Saioa commented
    September 2nd, 2010 at 10:12am

Hi Leslie,

I would love to know where did you buy those beautiful striped bowls.

Thanks. :)

56. Maria commented
    September 6th, 2010 at 4:57am

Beautiful Leslie! It’s great to see your work and how you mix different colours and textures together. I only dreamt about stripes last night – I think it’s because I’m dreaming about a striped jacket for our Aussie springtime :)
    Maria´s last blog post ..im loving