Color Inspiration

Navy Stripes + Salmon

August 19, 2010

Hello friends, it is Leslie here with my latest Color Me Pretty series. This time around I got really inspired by navy, straw, salmon, a little lemon, a little wood and denim.

Navy Stripes + Salmon

These colors work well together in clothing and I found myself tearing out images from the early summer catalogs of J.Crew, Madewell and Noa Noa to include in my mood boards.

Navy Stripes + Salmon

Don’t you think clothing catalogs can be a treasure trove for ideas about color and texture? We have seen how fashion can inspire interior design projects but it can also inspire much smaller projects, like how you wrap a present or combine papers for your next collage.

Navy Stripes + Salmon

With navy it seems to be all about stripes, in fashion, on my Japanese bowls, striped ribbon from New York. I just had to paint some for you, as I like how watercolor can make stripes look even fresher, if that is possible!

Navy Stripes + Salmon

Navy Stripes + Salmon

Once I started doodling with the navy paint I had a hard time stopping and after the stripes I ended up writing with my paint brush, painting patterns on envelopes and decorating plain paper fans. I can imagine that a few hand painted fans on a wall would be really pretty. Painting fans is also a fun project with kids as my daughter and her friend loved painting their own too. I picked up the plain uncoated paper fans in LA’s Chinatown for a dollar or so each. The paper was pretty thick and a good surface for the watercolor paint.

Navy Stripes + Salmon

Some of my stripe patterns got cut into squares and made into stapled quilts for my corkboard. I saw pieces of paper stapled together like this at an Anthropologie store near my home. I thought it was a great idea to show you as you could make something similar for your walls or for a card with little bits of paper or with photographs.

Navy Stripes + Salmon

Navy Stripes + Salmon

Navy Stripes + Salmon

Finally, I wanted to show you how these colors even inspire my desk. I love looking at ever changing little boxes and rolls of tapes. The wooden dispensers from Uguisu are a constant, as is the beautiful card-file from lovelydesign and the artwork. I framed a series of small prints by Catherine Campbell of My Folk Lover together to form a grid so that I could view all of them all of the time.

Navy Stripes + Salmon

I hope you found something today that may inspire a creative project for you. Please enjoy the rest of August and I will see you back here next month. – Leslie

– – – – –
Psst: If you’d like to see more lovely inspirations from Leslie and her Color Me Pretty column, please refer to this page to view gorgeous color palettes to inspire you today!

– – – – –

Like what you see? If you’d like to learn how to create your own moodboards and learn how to style your own photos for your blog, Leslie is co-teaching Blogging Your Way, an online self-paced class along with me next month for 4 weeks where you will learn all of this and more. To enroll (hurry space is limited!), you may click here. Class is for all levels and you DO NOT need a blog to participate in this class  but it would be helpful if you started one during the class so you can start applying your newfound education! :)

(images: leslie shewring)

You Might Also Like

56 Comments

• Reply carrie leber August 19, 2010 at 4:12 pm

those images are so beautiful – especially the peonies! what a great post.

• Reply Delaney Gates August 19, 2010 at 4:17 pm

*sigh* How utterly inspiring. I love the mood boards. The little wooden spoons and trinkets tucked in the envelopes are so sweet!

• Reply Ludmila {creamylife.com} August 19, 2010 at 4:17 pm

gorgeous! this color palette is like a summer-fall dream, when we say bye to summer and welcome the fall. it’s absolutely stunning!

• Reply michelle August 19, 2010 at 4:19 pm

wow, just wow. this is my favorite color me pretty column yet. i’m such a sucker for navy.

• Reply decor8 August 19, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Michelle I think you say that each week. ;) Me too though, me too.

• Reply Marisa August 19, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Wow! So gorgeous. I’m in love with the painting you did on the paper fans… and the sweet watercolours too! So much inspiration, thank you for sharing!

• Reply Piper (DailyDivaDish) August 19, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Very inspiring! Such a pretty color combination! And your desk is gorgeous.
    XO Piper

• Reply Eric August 19, 2010 at 4:34 pm

American stamps are so boring compared to these. What do we have to offer? Elvis and Mickey Mouse. You have great old-world designs….

• Reply Christine August 19, 2010 at 4:39 pm

ooo! Love these colours, they’re so preppy and summery!

• Reply Kelly August 19, 2010 at 4:59 pm

ooohhh, I love these colors together

• Reply My Owl Barn August 19, 2010 at 5:01 pm

This is such a beautiful combination. The last image is gorgeous!

• Reply Lex August 19, 2010 at 5:01 pm

I love these colours, they are so calming! What type of flowers are those? They look like a rose hybrid.

• Reply Victoria Klein August 19, 2010 at 5:09 pm

So very beautiful! The color combination is both fun & sophisticated at the same time – a tough thing to accomplish.

• Reply michelle August 19, 2010 at 5:09 pm

:) Leslie’s talent just blows me away. I love how she creates artwork specifically for each column, how the actual supplies become a piece of art, i love all of it.

• Reply C. August 19, 2010 at 5:59 pm

These are incredibly wonderful and inspiring!
    And I agree with you about catalogues giving so much ideas. I keep a lot of them for inspiration.

• Reply krystyna81 August 19, 2010 at 6:02 pm

I love the idea of painting fans with your little girl! Maybe my daughter and I (who has already taken over my studio!) will try that, too. I love blue and white…and the slightest shift in saturation or temperature changes it’s character so completely.

• Reply Mads Mom August 19, 2010 at 6:13 pm

These are gorgeous. Reminds me of an article I just read in the Sept. RealSimple, combining Teal and Red for fall.
    But this is fresh and sweet. (And just like my daughter who is dressed in pink stripes and navy today…very french!)

• Reply Jessica Ashley August 19, 2010 at 6:41 pm

This just took my breath away…I emailed it to one of my brides in hopes she loves it as much as I do.

• Reply Will August 19, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Styling heaven. It’s going down here! It’s those blue and white stripes…they get me every time.

• Reply Melissa de la fuente August 19, 2010 at 6:54 pm

Oh…Leslie, this might be my most favorite ever. Just gorgeous and so fresh… I love the quilt idea and love your desk with the beautiful tape dispensers. sigh… So good.
    xo
    Melis

• Reply April August 19, 2010 at 7:13 pm

What a lovely color combination! It makes me want to dive right back into my art journal, but I’ll have to save it for tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration.

• Reply La Belle Vie August 19, 2010 at 7:22 pm

I have to be honest. I’ve never been a fan of Navy blue but this column is so gorgeous I may gave to reevaluate! Wow!! The Colour Me Pretty is always so inspiring…

Jessa xx

• Reply sera August 19, 2010 at 7:31 pm

I think you have inspired me to redo my entire blog in these colors. I was wooing the sun to come with an orange background but oh how I love the patterns and stripes and loveliness that you have tossed together here. so lovely!

• Reply Terri August 19, 2010 at 7:51 pm

I love your mood boards, Leslie! This one has such a wonderful color combination!

• Reply Eliza August 19, 2010 at 7:52 pm

ahh…so inspired by the lovely Leslie and her amazing color palettes…yet again! Also, I wanted to absolutely recommend taking the Blogging Your Way course with Leslie and Holly! I took it last spring and am still referring back to my notes and integrating things I learned from the class. Leslie had so much to share about how to style and take photos…what I learned in those few weeks from her would have taken me years to figure out on my own…it was SO helpful. Not only that, but with all of Holly’s amazing insights and wisdom about stepping more fully into who you are and utilizing the creative potential of blogging, this course is not to be missed!

• Reply Liz August 19, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Wow! The color combination and images are simply mesmerizing. I love the paper fans!

• Reply Andy Mathis August 19, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Wow- painting those fans like that is inspired. Very lovely.

*wishes I had thought of that idea* :) *

• Reply Piper August 19, 2010 at 8:00 pm

Oh you had me at navy stripes!! I’m so into stripes right now – pillows, rugs, paper, anything! These are just gorgeous images. I love the combos you put together.

• Reply Emma August 19, 2010 at 8:22 pm

What a great palette. It feels very fresh and new. I feel like we haven’t seen this combination in awhile. I would love to see it come into fashion and home accessories. Really inspiring.

• Reply leni August 19, 2010 at 8:42 pm

the blue writing is just gorgeous.

• Reply Jaime August 19, 2010 at 9:17 pm

I love the flowers and that cute clutch in the first pic!

• Reply Cindy August 19, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Is space still available for one more in the blogging course? I tried to register but it requires a blog url – and I thought it was possible to take the class even if your blog isn’t set up yet. I’d love to sign up!

• Reply MIMÓZA August 19, 2010 at 9:34 pm

gorgeous! Leslie, I was inspired by the exact same colours in a recent necklace design, you can take at look at it on my blog here: http://mimozadesign.blogspot.com/2010/07/honey-loves-sea.html

• Reply DT August 19, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Splendid colors and fresh designs!

• Reply lush bella August 20, 2010 at 12:29 am

this is just so wonderful! the photography, the colors, the handpainted paper fan! love your column leslie!

• Reply SeaGal August 20, 2010 at 12:31 am

These are beautiful, such a creative idea. I love the blue and white striping..

• Reply sideoats + scribbles (Lisa) August 20, 2010 at 12:53 am

Oh my, Leslie! I don’t know how you do it, but your Color Me Pretty columns make me feel so energized and happy, yet relaxed and peaceful all at the same time! Does that make any sense at all? Thank you so much! :)

• Reply julie August 20, 2010 at 1:04 am

Beautiful, I love colour combinations.

• Reply Leslie August 20, 2010 at 2:27 am

Ooooh my gosh….this has to be my most favourite colour me pretty so far! Such a fab combination…I could gush about this all day. I am in love with all of it. I feel so inspired and have just signed up for the blogging course because I want to create beautiful posts like this too. (or at least try!).

• Reply Jessica @ Reclaimed Marketplace August 20, 2010 at 6:35 am

Wow, these photos are gorgeous.The colors are awesome! I actually have these colors in my family room! A bright coral/salmon couch with navy pillows! We have kinda a bright striped rug down right now but I think we should switch it out for a more raw tweed look like your showing here. Thanks!

• Reply irene August 20, 2010 at 2:50 pm

these colors are really, really beautiful! i love this post :)

• Reply Chloe August 20, 2010 at 8:47 pm

Perfection!

• Reply fresh365 August 20, 2010 at 10:45 pm

I can’t get enough stripes right now! The pairing with the salmon = perfection. I’m craving those Japanese bowls too!

• Reply Charlotta August 21, 2010 at 12:24 am

I loved this post!
    The colour combination is fantastic and the crafty inspiration divine.
    Love the hand painted fans and the little indigo cards. So much to smile over here.

Have a gorgeous weekend and thank you .

xx C

• Reply Julie the Alkaline Sister August 21, 2010 at 8:03 am

I’m with fresh 365- “can’t get enough of those stripes!, I’m wearing them right now! I have scarves, dresses, coverups, sneakers you name it! Great post Les, luved the combo!

• Reply Kira August 21, 2010 at 1:30 pm

I love the watercolour material you included in the pictures!!!
    Have a nice weekend !!!

• Reply Amanda {Mocking Bird} August 21, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Oh my goodness, what a beautiful post.
    I love how you’ve put these colours together. So pretty.
    Thanks for the gorgeous inspiration.

• Reply Hilary August 22, 2010 at 1:01 am

that color combination is absolutely lovely!

• Reply Katie August 22, 2010 at 5:41 am

oh, wow, awesome combo. I’m wishing I had some salmon-toned fabrics to go with the faded denim sitting in my fabric stack right now…
    I think I’d throw in a bit of antique lace with the combo, too. It’d be a fun way to incorporate the same feel as straw into a wardrobe.

• Reply The Jeanny August 23, 2010 at 2:22 pm

very nice colors <3

• Reply Frida August 23, 2010 at 10:23 pm

I love your pictures. Such an inspiring post! I want to grab my own camera right away. THANKS!

• Reply kms August 24, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Love, love, love this post as these are my destination wedding colors! Men will be in navy seersucker and the ladies are in coral J. Crew dresses. These colors obviously make my heart melt. Thanks for this post!!!

• Reply Caitlin August 26, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Love love love, of course :) ! So amazing.

• Reply Saioa September 2, 2010 at 10:12 am

Hi Leslie,

I would love to know where did you buy those beautiful striped bowls.

Thanks. :)

• Reply Maria September 6, 2010 at 4:57 am

Beautiful Leslie! It’s great to see your work and how you mix different colours and textures together. I only dreamt about stripes last night – I think it’s because I’m dreaming about a striped jacket for our Aussie springtime :)