All In The Details!

I was just talking about how I want to decorate my bedroom first when I move over on haus maus since I’ve been pulling together interior inspiration in binders and in file folders on my desktop…. You know, all of the beginnings of any decor project! And I was thinking about all of the little details that really MAKE a room. It’s so exciting to move and have all of these visions in my mind soon to be realized but it’s funny, when I think of decorating I do consider foundation pieces (sofa, flooring, window treatments) important but above those, I consider the little details even more so. The sofa matters (it’s the most important piece of furniture in the living room just as the bed is the key piece in the bedroom), but it’s what I have around the sofa and on it (a soft throw, some pillows) that I delight in hunting and gathering as I begin a decorating project. I love the details, right down to the fine stitch work on a cushion or the beads carefully sewn around the edges of a curtain. It’s all in the details, baby!

All in the details

While searching for interiors inspiration I came across the home of Ingrid and Vidar from the Fjeldborg blog and fell in love with her space because she is detail-oriented too. I found Ingrid via Jeanette who runs the lovely Fryd+Design blog and well, I fell in love with the sugar sweetness of Ingrid’s decor. I have a bit of a different direction in mind for my own space, but there are definitely parts of this home that inspire me. I hope it inspires you today, too.

All in the details

About her home Ingrid says, “I like both the one and the other: white and shiny, rough and worn, black, pastel, retro, real wood floors, painted panel… I love flea market finds and painting projects, and at times I am good friends with the sewing machine.”

All in the details

Bonus: Like what you see? Jeanette photographed this home for her upcoming second issue of her e-mag so watch this page for that issue to appear around September 1st. I can’t wait! I love Jeanette’s online magazine soooo much.

All in the details

I’m on deadline all week with the Decorate book so blog posts will be a bit more tortoise-like and less hare-like, but I’ll be doing my best to get up a post or two each day between now and Friday. Bare with me! :)

(images: ingrid from fjeldborg blog)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips on August 24, 2010

1. Ludmila {creamylife.com} commented
    August 24th, 2010 at 2:49pm

BEAUTIFUL! loving all the light blues – so airy and uncluttered! That’s a dream home, for sure!
    Ludmila {creamylife.com}´s last blog post ..Home Tour- Designer Meredith Hutchison

2. Lucy commented
    August 24th, 2010 at 2:58pm

Holly, your blog has been my inspiration for more than 2 years now and this is the first comment I post… so nervous!!
    I just feel a bit jealous because you’ll have the opportunity to decorate your home from zero!! I look at your blog on my computer; then look around and it makes me wanna move to a new house or turn this down and start all over!! :D

Congratulations for your blog and thank you for it.
    Lucy´s last blog post ..Inspiración

3. Afi commented
    August 24th, 2010 at 3:09pm

I absolutely love her place, and I agree with you about the details :) I’m the same!

I also love the places that have white walls and white floor, it makes the place so shiny and bright!
    Afi´s last blog post ..Shop update

4. Eric commented
    August 24th, 2010 at 3:27pm

I see a theme, and I like it.

5. Fanny & Malou commented
    August 24th, 2010 at 3:36pm

I just love the colours. Turquoise and pink thats totally my favourite colours, and than the cow rug… When can I move in ? :)
    Fanny & Malou´s last blog post ..Mittagspausen

6. Sarah @ Natural History commented
    August 24th, 2010 at 3:39pm

I LOVE those pictures – esp. the little details of unusual colours like lilac. I have two new rooms to decorate this season – a new garden room and an attic conversion, but my budget is terribly limited and most will be soaked up by the purchase (used, of course) of a good quality sofa bed for the garden room. Gradually the details will emerge though, I hope…
    Sarah @ Natural History´s last blog post ..A special treat- just for you

7. jacqueline commented
    August 24th, 2010 at 3:40pm

Really gorgeous!! I adore the whites! Very inspiring! That chalk door is such a wonderful idea! Have a lovely merry happy day and love to yoU!
    jacqueline´s last blog post ..fuji mini instax has a cousin named leica M6

8. Juana @ SweetVisualAids commented
    August 24th, 2010 at 3:41pm

simple gorgeous details! :)
    Juana @ SweetVisualAids´s last blog post ..Alice in Wonderland Amazing Topiary gardens!

9. lit commented
    August 24th, 2010 at 3:41pm

Lovely sweet colors! Truly inspirational :)
    lit´s last blog post ..summer

10. Starlet commented
    August 24th, 2010 at 4:17pm

Always mood lifting as usual! LOVE the color palette: so light and airy!

11. Iva commented
    August 24th, 2010 at 4:43pm

I have that “problem” – I love the small accents and details so much that it is sometimes a little hard for me to imagine the whole picture. But I love them! I think details is what makes a space more personal and adds character.

Thanks for the link, I love looking at real people’s places, hehe :) So much inspiration!
    Iva´s last blog post ..Lovely- Cath Kidston

12. Shay commented
    August 24th, 2010 at 4:59pm

Holly,
    I feel the “love” in the details. I think this is what separates the catalog look from the rooms that have been decorated over time with love and care.
    It’s the feel !! The heart and soul of a room is in the details.
    Lovely posts, as always.
    Huge thank you.
    Shay

13. kt commented
    August 24th, 2010 at 5:16pm

I love the lightness.
    kt´s last blog post ..little bags

14. leslie commented
    August 24th, 2010 at 5:53pm

Gorgeous post Holly! I love all the details you pointed out in this sweet home and I just love how you put it all together for us. The care and attention you give to your posts is inspiring and rare. Thank you!
    leslie´s last blog post ..Color Me Pretty Time

15. sideoats + scribbles (Lisa) commented
    August 24th, 2010 at 6:25pm

Hi Holly! You are too right — these little details are so charming! Good luck with your deadline! :)
    sideoats + scribbles (Lisa)´s last blog post ..Crafty travel week!

16. Raechel commented
    August 24th, 2010 at 9:57pm

Hi I love this. Can I also ask you how you do make your pictures into a cute little collage like this? Is it a program or website you use? Or do you put it together yourself? Thank you :)

17. decor8 commented
    August 24th, 2010 at 10:36pm

@Raechel – I use mostly Adobe Photoshop CS3 and yes all of layouts on decor8 are my own work.

18. Holly commented
    August 25th, 2010 at 4:41pm

Beautiful!! I love the colors!
    Holly´s last blog post ..Oh Martha

19. eva commented
    August 26th, 2010 at 7:26am

i believe that proper paint color and combinations are the most important when decorating the house and this post are best example of what i am talking to. obviously i love this post.

20. janis - pinecone camp commented
    August 26th, 2010 at 5:40pm

I want to move into this home – so beautiful!
    janis – pinecone camp´s last blog post ..French Provincial vs Canadian Olympian

21. Carolyn commented
    August 31st, 2010 at 10:36am

This home looks so lovely and fresh…I want to move in! Wishing her blog was in English so I could understand it.

22. Manderley commented
    August 31st, 2010 at 9:57pm

I’m sure that your room wil be gorgeous
    Manderley´s last blog post ..Cambios en el blog

23. Rini commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 8:01pm

What a beautiful blog !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Love all the pages .