Decorating Tips

All In The Details!

August 24, 2010

I was just talking about how I want to decorate my bedroom first when I move over on haus maus since I’ve been pulling together interior inspiration in binders and in file folders on my desktop…. You know, all of the beginnings of any decor project! And I was thinking about all of the little details that really MAKE a room. It’s so exciting to move and have all of these visions in my mind soon to be realized but it’s funny, when I think of decorating I do consider foundation pieces (sofa, flooring, window treatments) important but above those, I consider the little details even more so. The sofa matters (it’s the most important piece of furniture in the living room just as the bed is the key piece in the bedroom), but it’s what I have around the sofa and on it (a soft throw, some pillows) that I delight in hunting and gathering as I begin a decorating project. I love the details, right down to the fine stitch work on a cushion or the beads carefully sewn around the edges of a curtain. It’s all in the details, baby!

All In The Details!

While searching for interiors inspiration I came across the home of Ingrid and Vidar from the Fjeldborg blog and fell in love with her space because she is detail-oriented too. I found Ingrid via Jeanette who runs the lovely Fryd+Design blog and well, I fell in love with the sugar sweetness of Ingrid’s decor. I have a bit of a different direction in mind for my own space, but there are definitely parts of this home that inspire me. I hope it inspires you today, too.

All In The Details!

About her home Ingrid says, “I like both the one and the other: white and shiny, rough and worn, black, pastel, retro, real wood floors, painted panel… I love flea market finds and painting projects, and at times I am good friends with the sewing machine.”

All In The Details!

Bonus: Like what you see? Jeanette photographed this home for her upcoming second issue of her e-mag so watch this page for that issue to appear around September 1st. I can’t wait! I love Jeanette’s online magazine soooo much.

All In The Details!

I’m on deadline all week with the Decorate book so blog posts will be a bit more tortoise-like and less hare-like, but I’ll be doing my best to get up a post or two each day between now and Friday. Bare with me! :)

(images: ingrid from fjeldborg blog)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Ludmila {} August 24, 2010 at 2:49 pm

BEAUTIFUL! loving all the light blues – so airy and uncluttered! That’s a dream home, for sure!

• Reply Lucy August 24, 2010 at 2:58 pm

Holly, your blog has been my inspiration for more than 2 years now and this is the first comment I post… so nervous!!
    I just feel a bit jealous because you’ll have the opportunity to decorate your home from zero!! I look at your blog on my computer; then look around and it makes me wanna move to a new house or turn this down and start all over!! :D

Congratulations for your blog and thank you for it.

• Reply Afi August 24, 2010 at 3:09 pm

I absolutely love her place, and I agree with you about the details :) I’m the same!

I also love the places that have white walls and white floor, it makes the place so shiny and bright!

• Reply Eric August 24, 2010 at 3:27 pm

I see a theme, and I like it.

• Reply Fanny & Malou August 24, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I just love the colours. Turquoise and pink thats totally my favourite colours, and than the cow rug… When can I move in ? :)

• Reply Sarah @ Natural History August 24, 2010 at 3:39 pm

I LOVE those pictures – esp. the little details of unusual colours like lilac. I have two new rooms to decorate this season – a new garden room and an attic conversion, but my budget is terribly limited and most will be soaked up by the purchase (used, of course) of a good quality sofa bed for the garden room. Gradually the details will emerge though, I hope…

• Reply jacqueline August 24, 2010 at 3:40 pm

Really gorgeous!! I adore the whites! Very inspiring! That chalk door is such a wonderful idea! Have a lovely merry happy day and love to yoU!

• Reply Juana @ SweetVisualAids August 24, 2010 at 3:41 pm

simple gorgeous details! :)

• Reply lit August 24, 2010 at 3:41 pm

Lovely sweet colors! Truly inspirational :)

• Reply Starlet August 24, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Always mood lifting as usual! LOVE the color palette: so light and airy!

• Reply Iva August 24, 2010 at 4:43 pm

I have that “problem” – I love the small accents and details so much that it is sometimes a little hard for me to imagine the whole picture. But I love them! I think details is what makes a space more personal and adds character.

Thanks for the link, I love looking at real people’s places, hehe :) So much inspiration!

• Reply Shay August 24, 2010 at 4:59 pm

I feel the “love” in the details. I think this is what separates the catalog look from the rooms that have been decorated over time with love and care.
    It’s the feel !! The heart and soul of a room is in the details.
    Lovely posts, as always.
    Huge thank you.

• Reply kt August 24, 2010 at 5:16 pm

I love the lightness.

• Reply leslie August 24, 2010 at 5:53 pm

Gorgeous post Holly! I love all the details you pointed out in this sweet home and I just love how you put it all together for us. The care and attention you give to your posts is inspiring and rare. Thank you!

• Reply sideoats + scribbles (Lisa) August 24, 2010 at 6:25 pm

Hi Holly! You are too right — these little details are so charming! Good luck with your deadline! :)

• Reply Raechel August 24, 2010 at 9:57 pm

Hi I love this. Can I also ask you how you do make your pictures into a cute little collage like this? Is it a program or website you use? Or do you put it together yourself? Thank you :)

• Reply decor8 August 24, 2010 at 10:36 pm

@Raechel – I use mostly Adobe Photoshop CS3 and yes all of layouts on decor8 are my own work.

• Reply Holly August 25, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Beautiful!! I love the colors!

• Reply eva August 26, 2010 at 7:26 am

i believe that proper paint color and combinations are the most important when decorating the house and this post are best example of what i am talking to. obviously i love this post.

• Reply janis - pinecone camp August 26, 2010 at 5:40 pm

I want to move into this home – so beautiful!

• Reply Carolyn August 31, 2010 at 10:36 am

This home looks so lovely and fresh…I want to move in! Wishing her blog was in English so I could understand it.

• Reply Manderley August 31, 2010 at 9:57 pm

I’m sure that your room wil be gorgeous

• Reply Rini May 26, 2011 at 8:01 pm

What a beautiful blog !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Love all the pages .