More Kitchens To Love

Weeee! I have to tell you the good news. We get the shiny new keys to our place on Tuesday and our names are already on the doorbell. And the moving company brought over all of our boxes this morning. It feels so real suddenly – we move in 3 weeks!

Kitchen inspiration

I wonder what it will look like now that the bathrooms and kitchen are renovated? We have white tiles on the wall and a white tile floor and the bathrooms are both totally white but hey, I think it’s a great base to work from and gives us loads of options for the space, so I won’t complain. It’s a brilliant rental until we buy, so most likely our last rental, and I plan to enjoy it quite a lot. My husband is already talking about potentially buying it someday, he loves it and we’ve not even moved yet. It’s nice to see him so excited and cute about it, that is how you want a move to be — full of excitement and new possibilities…

Kitchen inspiration

If the light is good on Tuesday I’ll snap some photos and show you the space if you’d like to see it totally empty. I don’t want to bore you with this stuff…. but if you really care to see it then just let me know. Say the word and I’m ON IT.

Kitchen inspiration

Kitchen inspiration

With moving on the brain, I thought we’d continue talking about kitchens. I’ve collected some more inspiration… This time from Sköna Hem magazine, a Swedish decorating magazine that I love and have been enjoying for several years now. Perhaps these beautiful Sköna Hem kitchens will spark some of your own ideas. I loved reading through your comments on my last kitchen post — it was so encouraging and you have some great tips.

(images: Sköna Hem magazine)

Posted by decor8 in kitchen on September 10, 2010

1. jenn commented
    September 10th, 2010 at 4:35pm

these are all stunning! super huge congrats on the new place :)
    jenn´s last blog post ..adios summer

2. Amy commented
    September 10th, 2010 at 4:47pm

Snap some pics of the new place and do share! I think it’s fun to see before and after’s!

3. jennifer commented
    September 10th, 2010 at 4:58pm

oh, i’d love to see a before & after!! please? :)

4. Victoria Bennett Beyer commented
    September 10th, 2010 at 5:14pm

Yea! Only a few more weeks, but I know it will be like waiting for Christmas. And yes, of course we want to see pictures!
    Victoria Bennett Beyer´s last blog post ..Travels Collection- Ohio and Pennyslvania

5. Shay commented
    September 10th, 2010 at 5:15pm

I’m so happy for you !!!
    We had our kitchen remodeled last year
    and my favorite thing is a pull out garbage bin
    with two bins, one for recycle and the other for
    garbage. Simple but so useful.
    Cheers,
    Shay

6. susan g. commented
    September 10th, 2010 at 5:21pm

You’re so excited, we’re living vicariously thru you so yes! Oh pictures please!

7. Cecilie commented
    September 10th, 2010 at 5:25pm

Oh, I’d love pictures. We’re in a rental too and there’s this textured “wall paper” (In German: Rauhfaser) on every wall and every ceiling. How do you decide how much to do when you’re only renting? We’ve owned both our places in Denmark so renting is new to me and I don’t know how much I feel like doing.

I love that you are so eager to move and I truly look forward to seeing pictures from your new home and to see how you will transform it into something wonderful. Looking for lots of inspiration ;o)

8. Holly commented
    September 10th, 2010 at 5:40pm

Those are some beautiful kitchens! Some day I will have a fabulous kitchen!

So exciting on your new place! I’d love to see pictures!

Take care,

Holly
    Holly´s last blog post ..Friday Inspirations Blog Hop – The Wednesday Sisters

9. elissa @ faucethead commented
    September 10th, 2010 at 5:52pm

very exciting for you! i love this collection of kitchens you’ve posted. the while and steel combo is to die for.
    elissa @ faucethead´s last blog post ..taste of autumn

10. Renee @ eatliveshop.com commented
    September 10th, 2010 at 5:52pm

I’d love to see pictures of the new apartment empty!
    Renee @ eatliveshop.com´s last blog post ..Pick of the Week- Aporta Scarves

11. laura trevey commented
    September 10th, 2010 at 6:00pm

love all the black and white!!
    laura trevey´s last blog post ..Standard A New Online Magazine

12. janis - pinecone camp commented
    September 10th, 2010 at 6:06pm

Yes, do take pics of your new, empty space! I’m a bit of a snoop, so I’d love to see it.
    janis – pinecone camp´s last blog post ..Baked on Monday – Blondies

13. Tanya commented
    September 10th, 2010 at 6:11pm

Yes, I would love to see pictures of your new place. White is the perfect backdrop. I’ve spent lots of money on my fixer-upper 80s house just trying to get to neutral with all of my surfaces. Ugh! Great that you’re starting out with them. Love your inspiration pictures. Just beautiful!

14. decor8 commented
    September 10th, 2010 at 6:11pm

@Cecilie: Yes we have that in our current place, on the ceilings too, I HATE IT WITH A PASSION. I think it is so ugly. It’s in our new place too, everywhere!
    BUT we can wallpaper if we want and the ceilings do not have it, plus the space is larger so you don’t notice it as much. It’s funny, in the new place it looks somewhat pretty but here in my current apartment, because it’s so small, it’s on me all day long like a fly, it’s all I see. I wish this wasn’t so common here, it is such a huge waste to me. Why can’t they use matte, flat paper vs. this bumpy stuff from what, the 1980’s? I’ll never, ever understand it. People say it’s to protect the walls beneath it, okay that is smart and I get that, but why does it need to be bumpy and not smooth???

15. Tabitha (From Single to Married) commented
    September 10th, 2010 at 6:40pm

oh – I dream of one day having a kitchen big enough for more than one person to use at a time!
    Tabitha (From Single to Married)´s last blog post ..Slow and Steady Goes the Race

16. nichole commented
    September 10th, 2010 at 7:03pm

You are killing me with these kitchen posts. I am in my fall domestic phase and want to rip and tear. ;)
    nichole´s last blog post ..A Story of Color in the City of Light- White

17. Rachel commented
    September 10th, 2010 at 7:12pm

Nothing you share is EVER borning… let’s see the empty space! ;)

18. Rachel commented
    September 10th, 2010 at 7:13pm

yeah that would be BORING- my eyes aren’t working with me today!

19. Nuit commented
    September 10th, 2010 at 8:04pm

how exciting!!!!! white is good!!! I am crazy to start renovating my kitchen and Pronto! I painted one wall red and now that I have new appliances I dont like the red anymore. I want to go back to white so bad! So… your inspiration was JUST what I needed!!!!!

Thanks HOlly!! xo
    Nuit´s last blog post ..Ill take her entire closet please!

20. Lisa commented
    September 10th, 2010 at 9:03pm

Hi Holly! I’d LOVE to see photos! We have been talking about fixing up our kitchen and are finally getting serious about it after 12 long years, yay! So this couldn’t be more timely. :)
    Lisa´s last blog post ..Friday Fun and TWO giveaways!

21. Ludmila {creamylife.com} commented
    September 10th, 2010 at 9:07pm

Can’t wait to see how you decorate your home! these kitchens are stunning! happy weekend! xoxox
    Ludmila {creamylife.com}´s last blog post ..Stylist Lili Diallo &amp happy weekend!

22. My Owl Barn commented
    September 10th, 2010 at 9:10pm

We just finished renovating our kitchen. It’s a huge undertaking but I am happy with the results.

That dining table in the third picture is so unique and interesting!
    My Owl Barn´s last blog post ..Cold Coffee

23. Julie commented
    September 10th, 2010 at 9:16pm

Please do post pics! I am so excited for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. winter commented
    September 10th, 2010 at 9:20pm

please! Love the before and after!

25. Michelle commented
    September 11th, 2010 at 1:39am

Yes please Holly, Please take photos, lots of photos so we may view the space, the architecture and it’s personality. Then maybe later, when you have filled it with your favourite things, we can enjoy the before and after shots. Oh Joy! x

26. uschi commented
    September 11th, 2010 at 9:26am

yes, i’m on it ! please make a before-and-after-photo-story. congrats on your move and may you have very happy times in your new home !

27. juliette commented
    September 11th, 2010 at 9:32am

by the by: I personally know two people who totally redid their kitchens with a mix of Ikea and other stuff (ie cabs from ikea and hardware, counters, appliances, etc. from other places) and boy do they look fab – very non-Ikea. That may be something to consider, esp as a renter. I find it so weird that I ‘own’ my kitchen (and my flooring, lol) but not the apartment!! =P
    juliette´s last blog post ..On Hamburg- Must go back

28. Sara commented
    September 11th, 2010 at 3:45pm

I’d LOVE to see pics of your new place…and the steps along the way as you design it. From your inspiration pics, it seems like you’re really being drawn to black and white…which seems like bolder contrast to the more dreamy, romantic colors I somehow associate with much of your style that you post about. I’m so interested to see what you do with color and bringing in that rustic feel that is so gorgeous! Can’t wait!

29. Annie commented
    September 11th, 2010 at 6:03pm

Oh, definitely want to see before and after. Love your blog and all the fab pics of rooms.
    All the best with your new place, will be fun to watch as you settle in and put your lovely touch to your surroundings.
    Annie´s last blog post ..WWQP Bulletin Board Chat

30. gf commented
    September 11th, 2010 at 7:03pm

Why so many white kitchens? How do so many people have such excellent light in their kitchen? My own kitchen has few windows so the only way to get such excellent light would be to have some sort of billion candle power light set up…

31. Trina : la la Lovely commented
    September 11th, 2010 at 11:27pm

Yes, please post pictures! So fun to see!
    Happy Weekend!
    x
    Trina : la la Lovely´s last blog post ..la la Love

32. Penny Patten commented
    September 12th, 2010 at 2:15am

Beautiful Kitchens, it will be fun to see what you go with!
    Penny Patten´s last blog post ..1st Grapes

33. Belly commented
    September 12th, 2010 at 2:39am

Congrats! I love a white kitchen – it’s always classic and you can take it so many different places- it can either be modern or rustic etc. In our (white) kitchen we enjoy the white as a background while playing with the colors of the appliances, coffee mugs etc. Good luck!
    Belly´s last blog post ..stuff i learned from markham roberts

34. naomi commented
    September 12th, 2010 at 8:03am

OMG! These are some drool worthy kitchen. Like you we are renting, I can’t wait for the day when my kitchen is big enough that I don’t have to store cookie sheets in the oven.

Yes, please do take before and after pictures. I love seeing people’s creative process.
    naomi´s last blog post ..Peanut Butter Sandwich Cookies with Milk Chocolate Filling

35. Iris commented
    September 12th, 2010 at 1:47pm

I just love cooking and I think a kitchen should be a mix of practical and beautiful items. Like Holly, I am not fond of hanging kitchen cabinets; I think they can easily make a kitchen look small and full. I have two large shelves on my wall, one (the top) for nice accessories, and one for daily used cups. That works just fine. I would not store more items out in the open though, in a kitchen they indeed become greasy and dusty. I like a mix of styles, and in my kitchen, I have mixed modern cabinets and equipment with an old cupboard. As for colors, I love the combination of black and white with a dash of pastel colored items. And finally, about the practical side, I like to share the following tips: 1. Order an extra deep counter top (75 or 80 cm instead of 60 cm), this will provide you so much more workspace, even in a small kitchen. 2. If you can spend the money; take a Quooker (www.quooker.com), a boiling water tap that will provide instant boiling water for tea, pasta cooking, blanching, pre-heating plates etc. This was by far the best investment in my kitchen. 3. If you cannot stand stains, or if you are a bit of a messy cook: do not order a porous stone (like belgian stone or concrete) for the counter top or floor: oil, coffee and citrus can leave permanent marks if you do not remove them instantly. My counter top is made of honed limestone, and even that is still a bit fragile. A very nice alternative is composite; a very low maintenance material that comes in many different colors. 4. An extra large sink is great for cleaning large pans. 5. A refrigerator with a 0 degrees celsius department is another good investment; you can keep vegetables (especially lettuce and soft vegetables), meat and dairy so much longer (I keep sealed lettuce up to a week or longer!). I hope this is helpful. P.s. If you would like to take a look at my kitchen, I blogged on it today at http://www.irideeen.blogspot.com.
    Iris´s last blog post ..Kookliefde

36. Rambles with Reese commented
    September 12th, 2010 at 4:28pm

Great white kitchen tile and I love the contrast with the black and brown.

xoxo
    Rambles with Reese´s last blog post ..Ninety-nine Memorable Experiences Kind of like a Bucket list

37. simone commented
    September 12th, 2010 at 4:46pm

Yes! Post photos I’d love to see you new place.
    simone´s last blog post ..Sparkle and Glitter

38. decor8 commented
    September 12th, 2010 at 6:07pm

@Iris – THANK YOU so much for your great comment. Wow, I just had a look at your post and blog and if anyone is reading my comment now please go check out irideeen.blogspot.com – wonderful!!!

39. Katy commented
    September 12th, 2010 at 9:39pm

Thank you so much for all the kitchen inspiration. We are attempting to have our kitchen remodeled (in Seattle) while living over here in Europe. Gulp. Sounds like a recipe for disaster, no? Fingers crossed we can pull it off! We’re still mulling over the first set of drawings – mostly mulling over a corner sink. Just can’t decide if I like the look of them. What do you think?

I love the last picture. That pretty much sums up how I want my kitchen to look. Like the one before it with the subway tile too. Funny how much kitchens in the US differ from European ones. We see advertisements here in Luxembourg for houses with “American kitchens.” I think that means they are really big, but don’t know for sure. Looking forward to more kitchen posts. Thanks for your design research and inspiration (and the tips from your readers.)

40. Jaimi commented
    September 12th, 2010 at 9:59pm

These kitchens are too DIE for!!!!

41. ann commented
    September 13th, 2010 at 12:56am

yes please lots of photos of new place!!! good luck :-)

42. PriscilaPetersDecor commented
    September 13th, 2010 at 4:09am

For some reason, I love white kitchens.