Books + Magazines

NEW! Pattern Book by Orla Kiely

September 21, 2010

I was thrilled when I opened a box today to find the new Pattern book by Orla Kiely inside. It’s big, beautiful, loaded with color and right up my alley!

NEW! Pattern Book by Orla Kiely

It’s a beautiful (huge!) book and quite lovely for Orla fans because it contains her life story, inspirations, full pages of her colorful illustrations, home products, collections, and more. I was really excited (and surprised) to see my blog in the book where Orla wrote a very nice piece about bloggers showing a selection of them that featured her products in the past. I am so honored!

NEW! Pattern Book by Orla Kiely

NEW! Pattern Book by Orla Kiely

NEW! Pattern Book by Orla Kiely

If you love Orla then you have to pick up a copy of this coffee table book — it’s such eye candy and interesting as well, I liked learning about her childhood and educational background, how she got into the industry, what inspires her collections and so many other bits I’d never known before.

NEW! Pattern Book by Orla Kiely

NEW! Pattern Book by Orla Kiely

NEW! Pattern Book by Orla Kiely

In the book, Orla says a few encouraging words about blogs that I’d like to share since I agree with her words, “As a creative forum where images can be gathered, designed and posted, blogs are an endless source of amazement and inspiration to me. Immediate and instantly accessible, they serve as a platform on which anyone and everyone can express their likes and dislikes, share their interests and passions and interact with the world.”

She also mentions that seeing her work on blogs is a compliment and thrill and that she is inspired by blogger’s and what we do.

Her final thought is quite lovely, “It’s a powerful medium where directness and honesty override all else. Genuine and endlessly creative, the blogger’s voice is loud and clear.”

Amen! :)

You can pre-order it on Amazon here if you’d like. I’m an Amazon affiliate and earn 6% on all books sold.
(images: holly becker for decor8)

You Might Also Like

39 Comments

• Reply jodi September 21, 2010 at 5:43 pm

so fabulous!! i will have to put that on my wish list for sure. =)

• Reply Elise September 21, 2010 at 5:43 pm

This is STUNNING!! How exciting and congrats to you, lovely! Thanks for sharing the encouragement to bloggers! Can’t wait to check this out.

• Reply Christina September 21, 2010 at 5:50 pm

What a lovely book and congrats for being in it..wow – you go girl :-)

It truly looks like a must have book – I´m off to amazon :-)

Have a beautiful day Holly

Hugs/ Christina

• Reply winter September 21, 2010 at 6:10 pm

There was a wonderful intro in this month Elle Decor on the here to stay of the web in leading design (and fashion). At the same time the Editor-Margaret Russell announced she is leaving to pursue new projects. Hmmm did you hire her for your next book Holly?

• Reply decor8 September 21, 2010 at 6:42 pm

@Winter – Your question confuses me, can you be a bit more clear?

• Reply frauheuberg September 21, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Uhhhh…this looks so exciting…;)…a must have on my wishlist…birthday can come in two months.Hopefully i could get it also here on the german amazon site…Have a lovley sunny early evening in Hannover, Holly!…always a pleasure to jump over to your inspirational outlet…thanks…cheers and hugs…i…

• Reply Holly September 21, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Definitely on my wish list!!!

• Reply Jorjette September 21, 2010 at 7:16 pm

It’s colourful, indeed, which I like a lot. I lose love the idea of homemade things, of creativity – we need to let the imagination to flow.

• Reply Charmaine September 21, 2010 at 7:21 pm

I must have this book! Oh my! It is stunning!

• Reply Polly September 21, 2010 at 7:37 pm

I did an internship with Orla a few weeks ago and it was an amazing experience. Such a lovely company! Will definitely have to buy this book xx

• Reply decor8 September 21, 2010 at 11:51 pm

@Polly – You did an internship at OK? WOW!!!!! That is so cool!

• Reply Monika@stylemadesimple September 21, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Sounds like a really amazing coffee table book! Thanks for introducing it to me!

• Reply Dee September 21, 2010 at 8:52 pm

I’m so excited about this book! There is a place on my coffee table just waiting for a copy..

• Reply Nuit September 21, 2010 at 9:11 pm

these patterns are absolutely fabulous, what a great book!

• Reply Sandra Kuwartowski September 21, 2010 at 9:38 pm

I love the way how Orla juxtapose the pile of cushions and lopsided boxes to the page with the shelf where there is a neatly row of tea caddies with its peach patterns in picture 3 or the close up of flower in combination to the all-over pattern of squared flowers – a must have coffe table book!

• Reply oisive September 21, 2010 at 9:53 pm

A great great book !

• Reply Minnie September 21, 2010 at 11:04 pm

Wow, what amazing, inspiring words, and from Orla Kiely no less! This book is definitely going on my must-have list (maybe Christmas?) since I so love books that detail a creative person’s inspirations, artistic biography, etc. I get the Orla Kiely e-newsletter every month and love to drool over all their new stuff, which is harder to find in the United States.

• Reply Angela September 22, 2010 at 1:04 am

Wow, congratulations!! That book is so gorgeous, I think I might have to have it! :D

• Reply Kimberly September 22, 2010 at 4:12 am

This book looks fantastic. Going to go check it out right now! :)

• Reply Laura September 22, 2010 at 6:56 am

Orla and Liberty posts on the same day?! Lucky me! Love them both

Laura, HappyHomemakerUK.blogspot.com

• Reply Jen @ Bluecaravan September 22, 2010 at 8:27 am

A gorgeous book – and here! here! to the creative voice of bloggers…

• Reply BohèmeCircus September 22, 2010 at 10:03 am

I like the editorial angle of this book, this way of bringing to light the progress of the inspiration. And I like the colors of the coverhis grey is very elegant.

• Reply Charlotte September 22, 2010 at 10:22 am

WOW the book looks very interesting. It’s on my wish list for x-mas that’s for sure.

• Reply Interior Online September 22, 2010 at 11:19 am

Wow. This is just lovely. Plenty of ideas and inspiration in there.

Will have to pre-order it as I just can’t wait! :)

• Reply Julia September 22, 2010 at 11:25 am

Such a great book! Thank you Holly for this great review. I´m a big Orla Fan !!!! Love the patterns and her collection! So good to hear that she has a heart for bloggers :)

• Reply Polly September 22, 2010 at 11:41 am

@decor8 – Yes, just for 2 weeks but I learnt a lot. I’m about to start a textile design degree so it was really useful! And everyone was so lovely.

• Reply Afi September 22, 2010 at 3:20 pm

Her work is fantastic! Congratulations for being featured! :) It must be a wonderful book.

PS. Love that room/photo that has a vintage TV! All vintage objects are charming :)

• Reply Monica Lee September 22, 2010 at 4:19 pm

OH MY! Thanks for showing us just enough of the book to make me want to buy it!

• Reply Emily Fitzhugh September 22, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Congratulations! Oh my word is that on my wish list now. I love that she mentions bloggers…. thank you for showing us this. I hope to have it on my coffee table soon. xo

• Reply Mary September 22, 2010 at 8:15 pm

This book looks gorgeous! Would love to get this for my birthday in a couple of months…will have to hint to the boyfriend:)

• Reply Mandy Ford September 22, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Oooh…what a lovely book! And congrats for being included!

Mandy @ This Girl’s Life

• Reply Laura Gaskill September 22, 2010 at 11:02 pm

Yum! She is such a genius with color + pattern. I had been pining over Orla’s bags forever & finally splurged and got myself an Orla Kiely diaper bag when my baby was born and I LOVE it to pieces! I wish they carried her book at my local book shop…I’ll have to order a copy; looks like a must-have to me!

• Reply Henway September 23, 2010 at 12:29 am

My friend has the exact same book in her coffee table… I forgot the name of it, but kept thinking to myself to ask her. I think I oughta go to B&N and get a copy.

• Reply Ana Carini September 23, 2010 at 7:43 am

Your blog is my inspiration, thank you for this post, I love her work!

• Reply Arlene Maslog September 23, 2010 at 2:33 pm

I just pre-ordered my copy!

• Reply Natalie September 23, 2010 at 3:19 pm

A lovely book that will not be leaving my bedside table at any time soon!

• Reply Piper September 24, 2010 at 12:33 am

I swear I’m going to go broke with all these great new design books & magazines coming out!! Thanks for the sneak peek on this – I love Orla Kiely’s style and I can’t believe how cool this book is with all the patterns and colors!!

• Reply Sigrid September 25, 2010 at 3:50 pm

beautifully said orla! i am going to link over to this today, thank you for sharing.

• Reply winter September 27, 2010 at 6:20 pm

Hi, Just saw the question back to me. I meant my quip, as a compliment to your successes, I had just read that Margaret Russel was leaving Elle Decor, I did not kow why, then I read your blog, saw reference to your next book project and took a random leap, suggesting that you had reached a level of success in which you are stealing away Editors of Mjr US Magazines to work for you. Not too long until that happens I am sure. Havea nice day.