Decorating Tips

Simple Flower Arrangements

September 22, 2010

I love casual flower arrangements. I don’t feel comfortable fussing with things too much. In fact, the more I fuss the worse things usually look anyway because then my original vision gets lost. I’ve learned to just go with my first instinct and to be happy with what comes the most natural to me. I tend to like flowers in a variety of containers and I enjoying mixing blooms so that there is plenty of texture and color, even if I’m using mostly pink flowers I find that the many tones give such depth and personality to an arrangement.

Simple Flower Arrangements

I also like white carnations and find that they get such a bad rap for no reason, a carnation is a feminine flower with lovely ruffled layers. I think the carnation is a tricky bloom though, it doesn’t play well with others and looks best when it’s paired with other carnations and in my opinion, looks best with others the exact color — a carnation can suddenly look so sophisticated bunched together. In addition to flowers, I also love flowering branches in my home and recently I’ve been getting more and more into plants like olive and rosemary topiary trees and succulents. What about you, do you like simple flower arrangements or do you tend to spend a lot of time putting yours together?

Simple Flower Arrangements

One lady in blogland, Constança Cabral, does such a nice job arranging casual bunches and displaying them in her home. She just may inspire you — her many lovely photos are shown above. She is from Lisbon but currently living in England where she has an apartment in the countryside with a small garden where she picks most of her lovely stems. Constança makes things by hand and sells them in her etsy shop and she also blogs quite frequently so if you like flowers you will love her blog.

(images: Constança Cabral)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Shanon September 23, 2010 at 12:13 am

I think the key to successful flower arranging is using the right size/shape/etc. container for your flowers. At least that’s what I’m going to blame my lack of arranging skills on! =)

I adore the last poppy arrangement. There is such perfect balance and a graceful airiness to it. And the three pink roses are adorable!

• Reply La Belle Vie September 23, 2010 at 12:21 am

I am a flower addict. I love all or these! I think carnations have a vintage look but they definitely need to be on their own!

• Reply Anastasia September 23, 2010 at 12:45 am

really refreshing ideas and images Holly – beautiful flower arrangements dont need to cost a lot or be too big and fussy!
    ….once again less is more!
    We used carnations (pale pink) for the tables at my father’s 60th – we bunched them up tightly in small vases which had redkidney beans (dry of course!) on the bottom…it looked great!
    Our new kitchen is almost ready, i cant wait to have fresh flowers in a simple vase on my new large benchtop.

• Reply Eduarda September 23, 2010 at 1:06 am

So inspiring!
    Thank you for sharing, Holly!

• Reply Ijeoma September 23, 2010 at 1:54 am

The look that I really love is super beautiful flowers in an old tin can. It looks so wrong and out of place, at the same time very appealing.

• Reply Sherri B. September 23, 2010 at 2:02 am

I think maybe carnations got a bad rap when we started using them in science experiments (way back) with the food coloring in the water… I love the yummy way they smell.

• Reply Diana September 23, 2010 at 2:15 am

Holly your arrangements are so effortless and lovely! You’ve definitely got the right instincts. I often try to cram too many flowers in one vase instead of breaking them up into several. My best arrangements are when I spontaneously clip just one or two blooms from my own garden and put them in a favorite vase.

• Reply mydesignchic September 23, 2010 at 3:55 am

So pretty…I have gardenia bushes and roses that I cut from daily and put in tiny silver vases around the house – adore flowers!!

• Reply kara September 23, 2010 at 4:17 am

I love this post. I too love carnations… what is wrong with ruffles and pretty colors I ask you?

• Reply Sarah from September 23, 2010 at 4:53 am

What a lovely post. Just in time for fall blooms, too. I always find it easier to make an arrangement with all one color family. Although my thumbs are mostly black, I have managed to plant a few hardy specimen. In fact for fall, I love using berries tucked inside a market bunch of carnations. So easy and so festive.

• Reply jacqueline September 23, 2010 at 7:28 am

Really gorgeous and very refreshing. I am off to check her blog. Thanks so much for sharing! Have a lovely merry happy day and love to you!

• Reply Hazel September 23, 2010 at 9:09 am

I love these images, they are so organic, and remind me of the blooms I used to pick from my Nana’s garden!

:) Hazel

• Reply Cecilie September 23, 2010 at 9:15 am

I think simple arrangements are stunning too. While I do like a nicely proffesionally put together arrangement, I don’t have the talent to do it myself. So I buy flowers at a local Schneider’s Obtshof that has “pick your own flowers”, put them i vases and add some branches from our terace. I love adding stems from mints or rosmary as well as lavendar stems. My most recent favorite vase consists of four glass bottles kept together with twine (and idea I saw somewhere in the blogosphere). I love it because it is so easy to arrange the flowers in the four seperate containers. You can see my vase here:

The images you’ve shared here are stunning!

• Reply peggy September 23, 2010 at 9:19 am

I will check out that blog… I love flowers and I love to live in Amsterdam. Flowers everywhere, fresh and beautiful for little money. My house is always full of flowers…

• Reply Alam September 23, 2010 at 9:37 am

oh, it seems better used the clear or white vase then color vase. make pleasant to the eyes. simple and nice

• Reply Sandra Kuwartowski September 23, 2010 at 9:40 am

Flowers always brighten up the home. I really like those blooming branches in the jar and the little pumpkins. There is a huge flowerbed near where we live where you can cut flowers yourself. I always enjoy that and at home I cut paperflowers and combine them with the real ones, it is such a nice way to spend the afternoon….

• Reply Monika@lifemadesimple September 23, 2010 at 9:53 am

Very inspiring photos! Thanks for sharing! My favorite is the mantelpiece, it is so beautifully styled!

• Reply Juana @ SweetVisualAids September 23, 2010 at 10:15 am

Constança arrangements are beautiful! she is really talented!
    and her blog is just a delight to visit ! :)

• Reply Maria Filomena September 23, 2010 at 11:50 am

A Constança é fantástica. Você merce elogios também, por compartilhar o que há de bonito em outro blog.
    Abraços de Maria Filomena

• Reply joana September 23, 2010 at 5:37 pm

Very beautiful works! The simplicity is perfect! Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Keighley@thebellalife September 23, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Flowers truly brighten up a room.

• Reply suzanne September 23, 2010 at 9:49 pm

ooh, i love this post Holly. I’m such an unfussy flower arrange-er…..
    I always say, go out cut a few things, plop it in a vase of some sort and call it a day. I don’t like stressing over it all, it seems to take away from the pleasure and the beauty….and I totally hear ya w/ the carnations. I never liked them and couldn’t figure it out…but it’s because they were always placed w/ other flowers and it just did not look right. They are quite pretty paired in a bunch all by them selves.
    Oh, I do have to mention, I’ve done plenty of “fussing” with flowers for weddings and sometimes it’s so fun to fuss and fuss and get a really cool effect that is a conversation piece, especially w/ outdoor events… :)

• Reply Melissa de la fuente September 23, 2010 at 10:13 pm

Oh…these are all so lovely and really inspire me.
    I like simple arrangements too cause that is how I
    Am about most things I think but, also because
    I am not good at the more complicated stuff!
    Off to check out her site, thanks for this hun!

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang September 24, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Oh, thank you so very much for the lovely introduction!

• Reply Lonely Wife Project September 24, 2010 at 8:37 pm

I never stopped loving carnations! Especially pink ones.

• Reply Trina : la la Lovely September 27, 2010 at 4:36 am

Love these. I love what you said about not fussing too much and when you do your original vision gets lost . I’m working on going with my first instinct too. Easier said than done but I usually end up going back to it if I for some reason chose not to go with it.
    x Trina

• Reply Megan {Honey We're Home} October 5, 2010 at 6:03 am

I’m with you on the carnations. Our local grocery store carries a beautiful purple variety that I love to put at my kitchen sink. And I find that they last forever with NO effort on my part, seriously, like 2 weeks! Thanks for sharing the blog . . . I’m off to check it out.

• Reply April 7, 2011 at 9:29 am

While simple these are quite attractive arrangements. I’m definitely a believer in keepin it simple.

• Reply Alex@florist in kl (60%), July 2, 2011 at 10:41 am

Thank for for sharing these wonderful casual flower arrangement ideas. These are really inspiring. All the pictures look so beautiful and of great help for people like me who are not so creative:)

• Reply Katie December 1, 2011 at 2:20 am

Great colors!! I love the first picture on the page of the short pink roses. Those are super cute!

• Reply Kristin Johnsen June 2, 2013 at 7:30 pm

LOVE the arrangements by Constanza above – particularly the chartreuse heads from the plants whose name I forget, but are all over my yard in spring and I love to bring them in. The airiness of her little boquets are lovely and inspiring…..thanks!