Color Me Pretty: Purple Hues

Hello and happy Monday to you! It is Leslie here with September’s Color Me Pretty column. This time around I am using muted purple, cream, grey, silver and a touch of black. I was reminded of some of these colors in Holly’s post here where she discusses a décor possibility for her new home, which she moves into this week! The palette was inspired by Sibella Court’s paint line which I am sure most of you have checked out on her website. I tried using this palette loosely in a much smaller scale with a few little projects to get your creative wheels turning.

Color Me Pretty

I have been seeing many of these colors appearing in my catalog pile as well and, once again I can’t help but tear out images. They are clipped into my journals, stuck onto my mood board and taped on my wall for further inspiration. Today you will see images in my photographs from the Noa Noa, J.Crew, and Himla catalogs.

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Purple hues seem to dominate the flowers in my garden too, like lavender, salvia, geraniums, verbena and solanum. I plucked a few sprigs and popped them into my vintage Amethyst bottles for the series. For some of the bottles I put on a little white paper with Japanese silver tape to balance out all the purple. You could tape any patterned paper on any kind of glass vase or jar for a similar effect. It is simple and shows you do not need to spend much time or money on flowers to have a nice display for your home.

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

I had fun using my watercolors to create little studies on small 2” by 3” cards. Sometimes it is nice to do really small creative steps towards a larger project, especially if you are feeling stuck or unmotivated. Like myself, when it is 95 degrees and I have no air conditioning in my studio! As I painted, stitched and glued sequins on these little cards I began to feel inspired and ready to work on the entire photo series. Do you have suggestions on how you get motivated for your creative work?

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

I hope you have enjoyed the series today and I look forward to seeing you back here next month. Take care, Leslie.

(images: leslie shewring)

Posted by decor8 in Color Inspiration, Color Me Pretty, guest bloggers on September 27, 2010

1. Ludmila {creamylife.com} commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 4:20pm

Purple, gray, cream, violet – it all looks FABULOUS! another stunning post, Leslie! however I’m enamored more than ever with these colors, the styling you did left me speechless!
    Ludmila {creamylife.com}´s last blog post ..NewsMonthly style boardSerbian made

2. nina commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 4:21pm

So calming and beautiful :-).
    nina´s last blog post ..Fuchsia- Black Flats Bridesmaids Style

3. Anna og green gable commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 4:28pm

Beautiful colors! I love those paint swatches! As a writer, I usually get inspired by talking a walk or a long drive. I can clear my head and let go, and the words start pouring in!
    Anna og green gable´s last blog post ..sexy librarian

4. Anna of green gable commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 4:33pm

(oops! reposted with correct spelling!)
    Anna of green gable´s last blog post ..sexy librarian

5. STYLIZIMO commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 4:35pm

This is really inspiring, Leslie! Purple is such a lovely color, and I can’t seem to get enough of it these days :)
    Thank you for brighting up this Monday with these gorgeous photos!
    Wish you a wonderful day!

Now I’m heading over to BYW class :)

Nina
    STYLIZIMO´s last blog post .. The sweetness of Sundays

6. etincellestudio commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 4:36pm

Oh Leslie! this is extremely well done… it feels like autumn… I can picture myself wearing a pretty grey skirt with lavender pantyhose (is it how it is called?) and walking in the streets of Paris :)
    Nope I am still in Singapore, sweating under the sun… and most definitely wearing light cotton dresses…
    Loving all the Japanese papers as well!
    etincellestudio´s last blog post ..3 Inspiration board

7. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 4:37pm

Oh Leslie….this is absolutely gorgeous. So fresh and light and just beautiful…love these colors together and your watercolors are just perfect. I am so inspired by the sibella court book & her paint line. Love seeing your beautiful inspiration.
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Monday inspiration

8. Ijeoma commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 4:39pm

This is such a beautiful and uplifting post. Exactly what I need to combat a grey London afternoon. Cheers xo
    Ijeoma´s last blog post ..Honizukle Monday

9. City Chic - Jamie commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 4:42pm

Beautiful as always! I love the flowers and the packaging and of course the color scheme :) I usually get to play around with creative things on the weekend. Before I get to the fun stuff, I must get my other chores done (laundry and cleaning, etc) which I speed through and then I can focus on the fun crafty things the rest of the time :) Thanks for these beauties on this Monday morning!
    City Chic – Jamie´s last blog post ..Weekend Hunting

10. Marisa commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 4:45pm

Simply stunning! Love the small touches of Japanese pattern in both tape and paper. That watercolour bunting wrapping paper is delightful. The sweet cards… I could go on!

I’ll have visions in purple the rest of the day! Thanks.

11. Sondra commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 4:46pm

Great ideas/suggestions. Beautiful, as all of your work is! Thank you, Leslie.
    Best to you,
    Sondra

12. Christina commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 4:59pm

I can´t get enough of the color me pretty series – I just adore it!! It´s such a pleasure to look at your styling Leslie and your wonderful skills at putting color palettes together – you just amaze me!!

When I feel lack of creativity I take a break and relax – I go flat out on the sofa with a good film or a book – or I take a long walk in the woods with my dog or maybe I take a cup of coffee to the beach and just sit there letting my thoughts run free. I have found that relaxing is my fastest way to getting my ideas coming again :-)

Have a great day :-)
    Christina´s last blog post ..Sunday Dreams Macarons and blog love

13. laura trevey commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 5:02pm

Purple and plum hues definitely seem to be the new colors of the year…
    laura trevey´s last blog post ..Monday Inspiration

14. ishtar commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 5:11pm

Leslie, your photos are beautiful!!!! Would you have imagined making a career as a photographer one day? you have so much talent and the beauty inside you reflects in your photos.
    ishtar´s last blog post ..Inspiration monday

15. Bobbi commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 5:15pm

I love how calm and soothing these colors are. Today I’m struggling with motivation, and so am looking at pretty pictures on lovely blogs:)
    Bobbi´s last blog post ..Creating

16. lady a. commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 6:17pm

My favourite colour! Thank you for making my day, I can look at these photos over and over again:)

17. Dana Barbieri commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 6:18pm

Beautiful as always!

18. Color Collective commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 6:18pm

SO pretty! I absolutely love your inspiration boards!

19. michelle commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 6:19pm

Okay Holly, I’m not going to do it this time. But Leslie, I’m *thisclose* to saying that this is my favorite Color Me Pretty yet :)

I love the hand painted gift wrap idea, so pretty and so personal. I’m going to have to stash that away in the idea bank for future reference.
    michelle´s last blog post ..Reader Question- Becoming an Interior Designer

20. ANNIE commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 6:26pm

I love purple and all of these images are so beautiful.. especially love the last one :)
    ANNIE´s last blog post ..Naturally Clean- Club Soda

21. raru commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 6:41pm

I love your work, Leslie. Purple, gray, cream, violet – so favorite colors here. Thank you for the inspiration. ;)

xoxo,
    radostina
    raru´s last blog post ..♥ Photography spot- William Waldron ♥

22. Julie the Alkaline Sister commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 6:52pm

Leslie these are yummy once again! Love the idea of a mini 2×3 as it isn’t so overwhelming to fill it when you get that blank canvas block! and Sibella Court’s paint line and her site are exquisite- thanx for sharing!
    Julie the Alkaline Sister´s last blog post ..Fresh corn- pinto bean and heirloom cherry tomato salad &amp Why you should only eat fresh picked corn or Not

23. Amy commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 6:58pm

A question for Leslie…
    Hi Leslie! I’m just wondering, when you paint paper that is used for wrapping paper, what kind of paper are you using? It sort of looks like butcher paper or craft paper. I’m wondering how the paint does on it.

thanks!
    Amy

24. Piper commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 7:09pm

Beautiful as always and it’s so calming too!! Purple isn’t a color I normally gravitate towards – I think it’s because I overdid the color when I was little!! But lavender with greys and creams is so serene and pretty!
    Piper´s last blog post ..black white and cool all over

25. Jacilyn commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 7:21pm

Just a gorgeous layout. So calm and soothing. It made me a take a deep breath and relax. Love your little watercolors you do. Great ideas and such a source for inspiration.

When I need motivation for a project or a new idea I take a long walk in the park with my dog. I always see things that inspire me in nature.
    Jacilyn´s last blog post ..practical magic- part three

26. Brigitte commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 7:35pm

Yay! Lavendar is my favorite color.
    Brigitte´s last blog post ..When to Stop Buying and Start Doing

27. meritxell commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 7:47pm

I love this color… purple!!!!

28. nichole commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 7:51pm

I love purple in the garden. My Jackmanii clematis yields hundreds of huge purple blooms each June, and I surround the bottom with lavender.
    nichole´s last blog post ..Black and Tan

29. Patricia Torres commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 7:59pm

Oh how lovely… amazing!! Im falling in love with this purple colour!! wow!
    Patricia Torres´s last blog post ..One more cozy corner!!

30. sonya mccllough commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 8:10pm

Thanks to a visit from Mr. Fall, the lack of air conditioning in my studio is less of a problem today … the thought of sizing a big project down to get the creative juices flowing is one I can’t wait to try.
    sonya mccllough´s last blog post ..Blacklite Sunday

31. Traveling Mama commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 8:41pm

It is all so beautiful! This is one of my favorite color combinations right now. I keep going back to it over and over. Leslie, if you want the new Noa Noa ads just let me know. My daughter insists on having her own copy so she can “play” so I can always grab one more! I think Noa Noa is my favorite clothing store in Denmark. Aren’t their clothes gorgeous?
    Traveling Mama´s last blog post ..for the little man

32. OrangeFarmhouse - Maike commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 9:00pm

when I see these great pics I think about changing my favorite color red in to purple….. love it
    OrangeFarmhouse – Maike´s last blog post ..Zuuz – Ellen Nij Bijvank

33. geisslein commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 9:06pm

LOVE this post and I really LOVE the color purple!

34. Lilian Barker commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 10:07pm

Great post! I love the hues in the first and last pics.

35. shelley commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 10:21pm

i am so happy that all shades of purple have made a comeback in recent years…seems like purple went through a very long “unpopular” phase!

to get creative – first, i try to mark everything of my “to do” list so that i can be fully focused. next, put on a favorite c.d. or jazz station. last, sing + create!

36. Iris commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 10:26pm

Beautiful; light and fresh and yet a hint of fall. Looking forward to next month!
    Iris´s last blog post ..Subtiel

37. fresh365 commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 11:06pm

Lovely! I have finally “got into” purple in the last year and now loving it. The dish with the sparkle canisters in gorgeous!

38. leslie commented
    September 27th, 2010 at 11:29pm

Thank you for your ideas and comments!!! :)
    Amy -I just used plain old butcher/craft type paper I had. The water color does its own thing on it…sort of like painting on plain printer paper. This is what makes it fun,fast and a mystery as you never know how it will look!
    leslie´s last blog post ..Color Me Pretty Time

39. janis - pinecone camp commented
    September 28th, 2010 at 12:16am

So pretty! I love your post, Leslie. I just did a post, this past weekend, about purple – I’m with you, it’s a gorgeous colour!
    janis – pinecone camp´s last blog post ..Baked on Monday – Jam Buns

40. Joanne @ eBoutique.ie commented
    September 28th, 2010 at 12:34am

Your pictures are really inspirational. I love the last image as I’m a big fan of upcycling glass jars and they really do make beautiful vases.
    I become motivated when I come across beautiful things/images (but I’m in the process of sharpening and increasing my awareness of all the beautiful things that we’re surrounded by every day).
    Joanne @ eBoutique.ie´s last blog post ..Local Scenes

41. Susana commented
    September 28th, 2010 at 12:35am

Oh, how I love purple and lilac! Lovely work, as usual! It’s one of the colors that I chose for my birthday party decoration, so this post it’s just in time for me! :-) Thanks, Leslie (and Holly ;-))!
    Susana´s last blog post ..Candle in the wind

42. Melanie commented
    September 28th, 2010 at 12:36am

Love, love, love this post! Probably one of my faves so far from Leslie. These purples are just luscious.
    Melanie´s last blog post ..Doodle Diary Not Just for Girls

43. Mona Kay at Home commented
    September 28th, 2010 at 1:36am

I love the colors, and the PATTERNS are making me swoon!!
    Mona Kay at Home´s last blog post ..Front Corner Continued

44. Laura K. Aiken commented
    September 28th, 2010 at 2:01am

oh yum! i love these colors!
    laura.

45. Monica Lee commented
    September 28th, 2010 at 2:41am

leslie, i think one of my favorite things that i keep getting glimpses of in your photographs are your little delicate watercolors…i just keep wanting to see more….

46. Marcela commented
    September 28th, 2010 at 2:45am

iIt all looks FABULOUS!!
    Really inspiring…

47. jacqueline commented
    September 28th, 2010 at 3:07am

These photos are sooo gorgeous…and the colors are very inspiring! Makes me feeling so happy. Have a lovely merry happy week and lovve to you!
    jacqueline´s last blog post ..a warm blanket for your baby

48. janis - pinecone camp commented
    September 28th, 2010 at 3:18am

one more thing to add…
    I love the little bottles in the last shot, and that tray is adorable too.This is such an inspiring post. I’m new to your “colour me pretty” series – love it.
    janis – pinecone camp´s last blog post ..Baked on Monday – Jam Buns

49. Kira commented
    September 28th, 2010 at 3:28am

Lovely colours, fresh and strong. I saw watercolours… and a great selection of pictures.

50. Jesse commented
    September 28th, 2010 at 4:55am

You always have the most beautiful images. Very inspiring!

51. Cookie Cutter commented
    September 28th, 2010 at 5:08am

Purple can be so calming and at the same time a rather posh colour too! Beautiful images!

52. kj commented
    September 28th, 2010 at 5:13am

hi! i really like your artwork! do you mind if i post your pictures in my tumblr? i will credit you, because i’m not a fan of plagiarism and i strongly wants creators to get their credits.
    i’m using it as inspiration for my work pieces in future.
    Thanks! :D

53. christine commented
    September 28th, 2010 at 6:05am

Leslie – you are such an inspiration! I posted a three panel collage of purple flowers I took in London… it must be a purple kind of day! for a lot of people.
    Truth is – this is a busy, busy week at work (50+ hourse – urrgghh!) & I knew our Central California coastline was to have record high temperatures… so I pulled three of my favorite flower pics together in hopes it would make me feel cooler! it did….. several co-workers checked my blog from work & one printed the pics for her desk….
    I’m so enjoying your lessons on photography, styling, color choice, texture & layout.

54. christine commented
    September 28th, 2010 at 6:06am

oops – I meant Holly — but was commenting on Leslie’s work
    christine´s last blog post ..A PURPLE DAY!

55. Jan commented
    September 28th, 2010 at 6:25am

Purple is a color that travels into every season and looks good year round in the home…and has the most beautiful shade gradients.

56. Caitlin commented
    September 28th, 2010 at 8:22am

This is wonderful! I especially love the moodboard, and the flowers in those bottles are amazing!

57. flowing moments commented
    September 28th, 2010 at 8:45am

leslie, not only these tones are absolutely gorgeous but your photographs and compositions are magic … i am starting my day beautifuly !!
    flowing moments´s last blog post ..les vendanges

58. Minnie commented
    September 28th, 2010 at 9:45am

So much to take in, as usual. This will definitely be a post I’ll come back to and certainly am looking forward to seeing the round-up with bonuses on your own blog. I am especially drawn to the little cup with words/sayings on it and filled with rolls of thread. As always, all quite inspiring and beautiful.
    Minnie´s last blog post ..A fabulous way to store books

59. caro commented
    September 28th, 2010 at 9:49am

Oh Leslie, it’s so great that you’ve chosen these colors this time! These are the colors for my wedding next week and I’m still searching for some ideas for this special day. Thank you so much, this post is so inspiring for me.
    caro´s last blog post ..wo and wé collection

60. Lady MO@ commented
    September 28th, 2010 at 10:30am

J’aime beaucoup ces couleurs… de quoi s’inspirer pour Noël!

61. B. commented
    September 28th, 2010 at 10:50am

Beautiful colors!^^

62. Leslie commented
    September 28th, 2010 at 12:58pm

I have never been a big purple fan but the colour has really caught my eye recently. It seems to be creeping in from a few directions so much so I am thinking of redecorating my bedroom in some soft purple tones. The second last picture in your post with the reels of thread and what looks like felt flowers is my new inspiration shot to start of decorating project.
    Thank you again for a beautiful series love it!
    Leslie´s last blog post ..Inspiration All Around

63. Twiggs commented
    September 28th, 2010 at 1:29pm

Oh this is amazing!!! I love every piece of it… and every time i see a mood board like this one, all these images… i wish to jump into these rooms and feel the fresh & hued breeze! :) Lovely work, Leslie, lovely work!!! Hugs, Twiggs

64. Elizabeth Toel commented
    September 28th, 2010 at 6:58pm

It’s amazing how inspiring a beautifully done series of photos can be! I am ready to pull out my paints, vases, cut some flowers, clip some magazines and do some gorgeous things! Thank you!

65. Keighley@thebellalife commented
    September 29th, 2010 at 12:18am

swoon swoon swoon

66. deneise bucko commented
    September 29th, 2010 at 12:41am

I never get sick of look at your work. It’s calming and refreshing. Great job!

67. For the Love.. commented
    September 29th, 2010 at 5:15am

Purple is just Gorgeous!! Absolutely Gorgeous!!

As for how I get my creativity flowing, I usually get out my sketch book and start there… but I like to work on a couple of project simutaneously so that I can switch back and forth between them, when I feel stuck on one just switch gears and go to the other.
    For the Love..´s last blog post ..Felt Flowers

68. Leanne Ambrogio commented
    September 29th, 2010 at 1:29pm

Fabulous colours Leslie – I am working on two events at the moment that are using the colour purple so this is wonderful inspiration for me and I have recently purchased a new rug and cushions in purple tones – looking at your work is getting me motivated to be creative – now all I need is a little more time! Leanne x
    Leanne Ambrogio´s last blog post ..Seed Child Wardrobe Inspriation

69. marissa commented
    September 29th, 2010 at 5:22pm

just beautiful!

70. Michelle commented
    September 29th, 2010 at 7:59pm

Wow! The paint chips on your board are the perfect color combination for a project I’m currently working on. You have managed to do everything I would love to do for each of my projects, but never seem to have the time. Perhaps seeing your color work will help me to make the time. I forget what an impact the end result can have… although I can only hope to do it as artfully as you have. Thanks for the inspiration!

71. Jess (Where My Heart Is) commented
    September 30th, 2010 at 4:29am

Love the Purple inspiration! Purple seems to be the colour of the moment! I have a gorgeous love seat that was my grandmothers and she had it covered in purple velvet. It is just stunning. She would have had it done in the 50’s. She had STYLE and was quite eccentric.
    Jess (Where My Heart Is)´s last blog post ..Final 2 days to enter Giveaway!

72. ilze commented
    September 30th, 2010 at 11:55am

This post must have totally consumed my mind !!! When I walked into a shop, the 3 vases in this same colour just begged me to buy them !!! This is all I could see after your colour inspiration ! Thanks
    ilze´s last blog post ..The CLOCK is ticking…

73. Ivy commented
    October 1st, 2010 at 7:30pm

So, so beautiful. I am especially drawn to purples! I really enjoy seeing your watercolor studies and process. It’s so inspiring! I also LOVED all your lessons in the BYW class. Thank you so much! xo
    Ivy´s last blog post ..Vicarious Vacations 2- Ronda- Spain

74. Charlie commented
    October 2nd, 2010 at 12:07pm

Leslie
    What can I say that has not already been said ! Love the purple colors and images and my favorite as always are you flowers. Thank you :)
    Charlie

75. Anna @ Around My Table commented
    October 3rd, 2010 at 6:32am

Beautiful, stylish photos in a nice setting. So reflective, moody, elegant!
    I like the colour combinations and the ideas. Well done!
    Anna @ Around My Table´s last blog post ..Just around the corner – Halloween

76. Lauren commented
    May 5th, 2012 at 12:29am

Purple is my favorite color :) The gorgeous flowers from your garden tied into your work perfectly!