Color Inspiration

Purple Hues

September 27, 2010

Hello and happy Monday to you! It is Leslie here with September’s Color Me Pretty column. This time around I am using muted purple, cream, grey, silver and a touch of black. I was reminded of some of these colors in Holly’s post here where she discusses a décor possibility for her new home, which she moves into this week! The palette was inspired by Sibella Court’s paint line which I am sure most of you have checked out on her website. I tried using this palette loosely in a much smaller scale with a few little projects to get your creative wheels turning.

Purple Hues

I have been seeing many of these colors appearing in my catalog pile as well and, once again I can’t help but tear out images. They are clipped into my journals, stuck onto my mood board and taped on my wall for further inspiration. Today you will see images in my photographs from the Noa Noa, J.Crew, and Himla catalogs.

Purple Hues

Purple Hues

Purple Hues

Purple hues seem to dominate the flowers in my garden too, like lavender, salvia, geraniums, verbena and solanum. I plucked a few sprigs and popped them into my vintage Amethyst bottles for the series. For some of the bottles I put on a little white paper with Japanese silver tape to balance out all the purple. You could tape any patterned paper on any kind of glass vase or jar for a similar effect. It is simple and shows you do not need to spend much time or money on flowers to have a nice display for your home.

Purple Hues

Purple Hues

Purple Hues

I had fun using my watercolors to create little studies on small 2” by 3” cards. Sometimes it is nice to do really small creative steps towards a larger project, especially if you are feeling stuck or unmotivated. Like myself, when it is 95 degrees and I have no air conditioning in my studio! As I painted, stitched and glued sequins on these little cards I began to feel inspired and ready to work on the entire photo series. Do you have suggestions on how you get motivated for your creative work?

Purple Hues

Purple Hues

I hope you have enjoyed the series today and I look forward to seeing you back here next month. Take care, Leslie.

(images: leslie shewring)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Ludmila {} September 27, 2010 at 4:20 pm

Purple, gray, cream, violet – it all looks FABULOUS! another stunning post, Leslie! however I’m enamored more than ever with these colors, the styling you did left me speechless!

• Reply nina September 27, 2010 at 4:21 pm

So calming and beautiful :-).

• Reply Anna og green gable September 27, 2010 at 4:28 pm

Beautiful colors! I love those paint swatches! As a writer, I usually get inspired by talking a walk or a long drive. I can clear my head and let go, and the words start pouring in!

• Reply Anna of green gable September 27, 2010 at 4:33 pm

(oops! reposted with correct spelling!)

• Reply STYLIZIMO September 27, 2010 at 4:35 pm

This is really inspiring, Leslie! Purple is such a lovely color, and I can’t seem to get enough of it these days :)
    Thank you for brighting up this Monday with these gorgeous photos!
    Wish you a wonderful day!

Now I’m heading over to BYW class :)

• Reply etincellestudio September 27, 2010 at 4:36 pm

Oh Leslie! this is extremely well done… it feels like autumn… I can picture myself wearing a pretty grey skirt with lavender pantyhose (is it how it is called?) and walking in the streets of Paris :)
    Nope I am still in Singapore, sweating under the sun… and most definitely wearing light cotton dresses…
    Loving all the Japanese papers as well!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente September 27, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Oh Leslie….this is absolutely gorgeous. So fresh and light and just beautiful…love these colors together and your watercolors are just perfect. I am so inspired by the sibella court book & her paint line. Love seeing your beautiful inspiration.

• Reply Ijeoma September 27, 2010 at 4:39 pm

This is such a beautiful and uplifting post. Exactly what I need to combat a grey London afternoon. Cheers xo

• Reply City Chic - Jamie September 27, 2010 at 4:42 pm

Beautiful as always! I love the flowers and the packaging and of course the color scheme :) I usually get to play around with creative things on the weekend. Before I get to the fun stuff, I must get my other chores done (laundry and cleaning, etc) which I speed through and then I can focus on the fun crafty things the rest of the time :) Thanks for these beauties on this Monday morning!

• Reply Marisa September 27, 2010 at 4:45 pm

Simply stunning! Love the small touches of Japanese pattern in both tape and paper. That watercolour bunting wrapping paper is delightful. The sweet cards… I could go on!

I’ll have visions in purple the rest of the day! Thanks.

• Reply Sondra September 27, 2010 at 4:46 pm

Great ideas/suggestions. Beautiful, as all of your work is! Thank you, Leslie.
    Best to you,

• Reply Christina September 27, 2010 at 4:59 pm

I can´t get enough of the color me pretty series – I just adore it!! It´s such a pleasure to look at your styling Leslie and your wonderful skills at putting color palettes together – you just amaze me!!

When I feel lack of creativity I take a break and relax – I go flat out on the sofa with a good film or a book – or I take a long walk in the woods with my dog or maybe I take a cup of coffee to the beach and just sit there letting my thoughts run free. I have found that relaxing is my fastest way to getting my ideas coming again :-)

Have a great day :-)

• Reply laura trevey September 27, 2010 at 5:02 pm

Purple and plum hues definitely seem to be the new colors of the year…

• Reply ishtar September 27, 2010 at 5:11 pm

Leslie, your photos are beautiful!!!! Would you have imagined making a career as a photographer one day? you have so much talent and the beauty inside you reflects in your photos.

• Reply Bobbi September 27, 2010 at 5:15 pm

I love how calm and soothing these colors are. Today I’m struggling with motivation, and so am looking at pretty pictures on lovely blogs:)

• Reply lady a. September 27, 2010 at 6:17 pm

My favourite colour! Thank you for making my day, I can look at these photos over and over again:)

• Reply Dana Barbieri September 27, 2010 at 6:18 pm

Beautiful as always!

• Reply Color Collective September 27, 2010 at 6:18 pm

SO pretty! I absolutely love your inspiration boards!

• Reply michelle September 27, 2010 at 6:19 pm

Okay Holly, I’m not going to do it this time. But Leslie, I’m *thisclose* to saying that this is my favorite Color Me Pretty yet :)

I love the hand painted gift wrap idea, so pretty and so personal. I’m going to have to stash that away in the idea bank for future reference.

• Reply ANNIE September 27, 2010 at 6:26 pm

I love purple and all of these images are so beautiful.. especially love the last one :)

• Reply raru September 27, 2010 at 6:41 pm

I love your work, Leslie. Purple, gray, cream, violet – so favorite colors here. Thank you for the inspiration. ;)

• Reply Julie the Alkaline Sister September 27, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Leslie these are yummy once again! Love the idea of a mini 2×3 as it isn’t so overwhelming to fill it when you get that blank canvas block! and Sibella Court’s paint line and her site are exquisite- thanx for sharing!

• Reply Amy September 27, 2010 at 6:58 pm

A question for Leslie…
    Hi Leslie! I’m just wondering, when you paint paper that is used for wrapping paper, what kind of paper are you using? It sort of looks like butcher paper or craft paper. I’m wondering how the paint does on it.

• Reply Piper September 27, 2010 at 7:09 pm

Beautiful as always and it’s so calming too!! Purple isn’t a color I normally gravitate towards – I think it’s because I overdid the color when I was little!! But lavender with greys and creams is so serene and pretty!

• Reply Jacilyn September 27, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Just a gorgeous layout. So calm and soothing. It made me a take a deep breath and relax. Love your little watercolors you do. Great ideas and such a source for inspiration.

When I need motivation for a project or a new idea I take a long walk in the park with my dog. I always see things that inspire me in nature.

• Reply Brigitte September 27, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Yay! Lavendar is my favorite color.

• Reply meritxell September 27, 2010 at 7:47 pm

I love this color… purple!!!!

• Reply nichole September 27, 2010 at 7:51 pm

I love purple in the garden. My Jackmanii clematis yields hundreds of huge purple blooms each June, and I surround the bottom with lavender.

• Reply Patricia Torres September 27, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Oh how lovely… amazing!! Im falling in love with this purple colour!! wow!

• Reply sonya mccllough September 27, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Thanks to a visit from Mr. Fall, the lack of air conditioning in my studio is less of a problem today … the thought of sizing a big project down to get the creative juices flowing is one I can’t wait to try.

• Reply Traveling Mama September 27, 2010 at 8:41 pm

It is all so beautiful! This is one of my favorite color combinations right now. I keep going back to it over and over. Leslie, if you want the new Noa Noa ads just let me know. My daughter insists on having her own copy so she can “play” so I can always grab one more! I think Noa Noa is my favorite clothing store in Denmark. Aren’t their clothes gorgeous?

• Reply OrangeFarmhouse - Maike September 27, 2010 at 9:00 pm

when I see these great pics I think about changing my favorite color red in to purple….. love it

• Reply geisslein September 27, 2010 at 9:06 pm

LOVE this post and I really LOVE the color purple!

• Reply Lilian Barker September 27, 2010 at 10:07 pm

Great post! I love the hues in the first and last pics.

• Reply shelley September 27, 2010 at 10:21 pm

i am so happy that all shades of purple have made a comeback in recent years…seems like purple went through a very long “unpopular” phase!

to get creative – first, i try to mark everything of my “to do” list so that i can be fully focused. next, put on a favorite c.d. or jazz station. last, sing + create!

• Reply Iris September 27, 2010 at 10:26 pm

Beautiful; light and fresh and yet a hint of fall. Looking forward to next month!

• Reply fresh365 September 27, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Lovely! I have finally “got into” purple in the last year and now loving it. The dish with the sparkle canisters in gorgeous!

• Reply leslie September 27, 2010 at 11:29 pm

Thank you for your ideas and comments!!! :)
    Amy -I just used plain old butcher/craft type paper I had. The water color does its own thing on it…sort of like painting on plain printer paper. This is what makes it fun,fast and a mystery as you never know how it will look!

• Reply janis - pinecone camp September 28, 2010 at 12:16 am

So pretty! I love your post, Leslie. I just did a post, this past weekend, about purple – I’m with you, it’s a gorgeous colour!

• Reply Joanne @ September 28, 2010 at 12:34 am

Your pictures are really inspirational. I love the last image as I’m a big fan of upcycling glass jars and they really do make beautiful vases.
    I become motivated when I come across beautiful things/images (but I’m in the process of sharpening and increasing my awareness of all the beautiful things that we’re surrounded by every day).

• Reply Susana September 28, 2010 at 12:35 am

Oh, how I love purple and lilac! Lovely work, as usual! It’s one of the colors that I chose for my birthday party decoration, so this post it’s just in time for me! :-) Thanks, Leslie (and Holly ;-))!

• Reply Melanie September 28, 2010 at 12:36 am

Love, love, love this post! Probably one of my faves so far from Leslie. These purples are just luscious.

• Reply Mona Kay at Home September 28, 2010 at 1:36 am

I love the colors, and the PATTERNS are making me swoon!!

• Reply Laura K. Aiken September 28, 2010 at 2:01 am

oh yum! i love these colors!

• Reply Monica Lee September 28, 2010 at 2:41 am

leslie, i think one of my favorite things that i keep getting glimpses of in your photographs are your little delicate watercolors…i just keep wanting to see more….

• Reply Marcela September 28, 2010 at 2:45 am

iIt all looks FABULOUS!!
    Really inspiring…

• Reply jacqueline September 28, 2010 at 3:07 am

These photos are sooo gorgeous…and the colors are very inspiring! Makes me feeling so happy. Have a lovely merry happy week and lovve to you!

• Reply janis - pinecone camp September 28, 2010 at 3:18 am

one more thing to add…
    I love the little bottles in the last shot, and that tray is adorable too.This is such an inspiring post. I’m new to your “colour me pretty” series – love it.

• Reply Kira September 28, 2010 at 3:28 am

Lovely colours, fresh and strong. I saw watercolours… and a great selection of pictures.

• Reply Jesse September 28, 2010 at 4:55 am

You always have the most beautiful images. Very inspiring!

• Reply Cookie Cutter September 28, 2010 at 5:08 am

Purple can be so calming and at the same time a rather posh colour too! Beautiful images!

• Reply kj September 28, 2010 at 5:13 am

hi! i really like your artwork! do you mind if i post your pictures in my tumblr? i will credit you, because i’m not a fan of plagiarism and i strongly wants creators to get their credits.
    i’m using it as inspiration for my work pieces in future.
    Thanks! :D

• Reply christine September 28, 2010 at 6:05 am

Leslie – you are such an inspiration! I posted a three panel collage of purple flowers I took in London… it must be a purple kind of day! for a lot of people.
    Truth is – this is a busy, busy week at work (50+ hourse – urrgghh!) & I knew our Central California coastline was to have record high temperatures… so I pulled three of my favorite flower pics together in hopes it would make me feel cooler! it did….. several co-workers checked my blog from work & one printed the pics for her desk….
    I’m so enjoying your lessons on photography, styling, color choice, texture & layout.

• Reply christine September 28, 2010 at 6:06 am

oops – I meant Holly — but was commenting on Leslie’s work

• Reply Jan September 28, 2010 at 6:25 am

Purple is a color that travels into every season and looks good year round in the home…and has the most beautiful shade gradients.

• Reply Caitlin September 28, 2010 at 8:22 am

This is wonderful! I especially love the moodboard, and the flowers in those bottles are amazing!

• Reply flowing moments September 28, 2010 at 8:45 am

leslie, not only these tones are absolutely gorgeous but your photographs and compositions are magic … i am starting my day beautifuly !!

• Reply Minnie September 28, 2010 at 9:45 am

So much to take in, as usual. This will definitely be a post I’ll come back to and certainly am looking forward to seeing the round-up with bonuses on your own blog. I am especially drawn to the little cup with words/sayings on it and filled with rolls of thread. As always, all quite inspiring and beautiful.

• Reply caro September 28, 2010 at 9:49 am

Oh Leslie, it’s so great that you’ve chosen these colors this time! These are the colors for my wedding next week and I’m still searching for some ideas for this special day. Thank you so much, this post is so inspiring for me.

• Reply Lady MO@ September 28, 2010 at 10:30 am

J’aime beaucoup ces couleurs… de quoi s’inspirer pour Noël!

• Reply B. September 28, 2010 at 10:50 am

Beautiful colors!^^

• Reply Leslie September 28, 2010 at 12:58 pm

I have never been a big purple fan but the colour has really caught my eye recently. It seems to be creeping in from a few directions so much so I am thinking of redecorating my bedroom in some soft purple tones. The second last picture in your post with the reels of thread and what looks like felt flowers is my new inspiration shot to start of decorating project.
    Thank you again for a beautiful series love it!

• Reply Twiggs September 28, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Oh this is amazing!!! I love every piece of it… and every time i see a mood board like this one, all these images… i wish to jump into these rooms and feel the fresh & hued breeze! :) Lovely work, Leslie, lovely work!!! Hugs, Twiggs

• Reply Elizabeth Toel September 28, 2010 at 6:58 pm

It’s amazing how inspiring a beautifully done series of photos can be! I am ready to pull out my paints, vases, cut some flowers, clip some magazines and do some gorgeous things! Thank you!

• Reply Keighley@thebellalife September 29, 2010 at 12:18 am

swoon swoon swoon

• Reply deneise bucko September 29, 2010 at 12:41 am

I never get sick of look at your work. It’s calming and refreshing. Great job!

• Reply For the Love.. September 29, 2010 at 5:15 am

Purple is just Gorgeous!! Absolutely Gorgeous!!

As for how I get my creativity flowing, I usually get out my sketch book and start there… but I like to work on a couple of project simutaneously so that I can switch back and forth between them, when I feel stuck on one just switch gears and go to the other.

• Reply Leanne Ambrogio September 29, 2010 at 1:29 pm

Fabulous colours Leslie – I am working on two events at the moment that are using the colour purple so this is wonderful inspiration for me and I have recently purchased a new rug and cushions in purple tones – looking at your work is getting me motivated to be creative – now all I need is a little more time! Leanne x

• Reply marissa September 29, 2010 at 5:22 pm

just beautiful!

• Reply Michelle September 29, 2010 at 7:59 pm

Wow! The paint chips on your board are the perfect color combination for a project I’m currently working on. You have managed to do everything I would love to do for each of my projects, but never seem to have the time. Perhaps seeing your color work will help me to make the time. I forget what an impact the end result can have… although I can only hope to do it as artfully as you have. Thanks for the inspiration!

• Reply Jess (Where My Heart Is) September 30, 2010 at 4:29 am

Love the Purple inspiration! Purple seems to be the colour of the moment! I have a gorgeous love seat that was my grandmothers and she had it covered in purple velvet. It is just stunning. She would have had it done in the 50’s. She had STYLE and was quite eccentric.

• Reply ilze September 30, 2010 at 11:55 am

This post must have totally consumed my mind !!! When I walked into a shop, the 3 vases in this same colour just begged me to buy them !!! This is all I could see after your colour inspiration ! Thanks

• Reply Ivy October 1, 2010 at 7:30 pm

So, so beautiful. I am especially drawn to purples! I really enjoy seeing your watercolor studies and process. It’s so inspiring! I also LOVED all your lessons in the BYW class. Thank you so much! xo

• Reply Charlie October 2, 2010 at 12:07 pm

What can I say that has not already been said ! Love the purple colors and images and my favorite as always are you flowers. Thank you :)

• Reply Anna @ Around My Table October 3, 2010 at 6:32 am

Beautiful, stylish photos in a nice setting. So reflective, moody, elegant!
    I like the colour combinations and the ideas. Well done!

• Reply Lauren May 5, 2012 at 12:29 am

Purple is my favorite color :) The gorgeous flowers from your garden tied into your work perfectly!