Decorating Tips

Amazing Rooms But Why?

October 12, 2010

Oh Livingetc, what you do to me! These images from their gorgeous magazine make me feel like floating off into these enticing, welcoming spaces to cook, entertain and relax.

Amazing Rooms But Why?

Amazing Rooms But Why?

Amazing Rooms But Why?

Amazing Rooms But Why?

Amazing Rooms But Why?

Amazing Rooms But Why?

Amazing Rooms But Why?

Amazing Rooms But Why?

Amazing Rooms But Why?

Yes, these rooms are all amazing but why exactly? Try to pinpoint your reasons for each winning room. Do you see one or two above that inspire you? If so, why? What speaks to you about the spaces that you see here?

(images: livingetc)

You Might Also Like

41 Comments

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente October 12, 2010 at 6:07 pm

*sigh* Absolutely…love these rooms. The ones that grab my heart the most are the top two & that wide open white & grey kitchen…so beautiful(although I think I would want a rug in there :) I ADORE that mirror & the sconces with that pink wall & the white table with the wood chairs….*sigh* SO much inspiration…so little time ( oh, and $$) :)
    xo
    Melis

• Reply sandra lund October 12, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I really like number 7, it has colour and a personality that some of the others lack (not all), even though they are amazing, I can’t feel their voice as strongly. Picture number. 5. for an example – I love everything in there, and the space it self, I would love to move in and add some colour and some of my personal stuff :-)

• Reply Kathi October 12, 2010 at 6:22 pm

the living space with the two chandeliers and the amazing white and grey kitchen are my favorites. beautiful whites mixed with wonderful texture always speak to me. just ordered a long wished for white couch and I can’t wait for it to arrive. great inspiration again- thanks Holly

• Reply kt October 12, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Right away I was drawn to the room with the soft fuchsia wall, because it was bold and cozy at the same time. I also love how eclectic it is! These rooms all have something wonderful about them but that one stood out for me.

• Reply Jen Singh October 12, 2010 at 6:39 pm

I like image #6, because what makes that room interesting is two statement pieces that stand out: the peeling painted, rustic cabinet and countertop. In the pure white room, it makes the room unique and appealing.

• Reply Nookie Doodle October 12, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Love the rustic white kitchen!

• Reply Sarah Lynne October 12, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Amazing because they are so perfectly put together! I love the rooms with the mismatched chairs around the table – creates such a casual comfortable feeling. I love room number 6 – the armoire and hutch are amazing!

• Reply Tina October 12, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Inspirational and beautiful photos – LivingEtc is one of my favourite magazines, love it!

• Reply Tracey Chalk October 12, 2010 at 7:12 pm

To me its a combination of white and wood that gets me everytime. A couple of those were Paul Massey’s house (kitchen with old wooden console worktop and the table with the metal utility lights.) I did a post on the house he had before that one which was equally as gorgeous, still white and woody! So i think that’s what it is for me…oh and i like there to be a mix of modern and vintage pieces.

• Reply emma lamb October 12, 2010 at 7:21 pm

I have to say I love 2 and 4 mostly beacuse they have a ‘lived in’ look that the others seems to lack. The others seem a wee bit ‘staged’ and lacking in personality as though they are promo shots. Number 7 is okay but it looks like an Ikea catalogue shot to me. Of course that’s just my perspective and me applying my personality to what is there.
    One thing thing that I do think is amazing about them all is the great light… so important!
    Emma
    x

• Reply Kat October 12, 2010 at 7:26 pm

They’re all beautiful in their own ways aren’t they.
    I like the white and natural wood together in number one and the White large dresser much further down.
    My favourite is the second because of the use of pink on the fire breast wall and the mirror against that. I also like the mix of chairs at the table and that lamp is so quirky cool.
    I like mixing old fashioned comfortable homely items with a touch of colour.
    Thanks Holly!
    Love Kat xx

• Reply Iris October 12, 2010 at 7:31 pm

For me, the third room has the right mix of design and warmth, shiny and textured surfaces, a neutral basis and a touch of color, topped with the frivolity of the chandeliers and one of my favorite designs: the Barcelona chair.

• Reply Natalie October 12, 2010 at 7:34 pm

The airiness of the colors brings a feeling like taking a deep breath.
    I love the raw wood island. I want to try to get my boyfriend to make one now. Thanks for the post. I always look forward to them!

• Reply Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor October 12, 2010 at 7:47 pm

These rooms are amazing! I think what makes them so wonderful is that they are all completely White rooms… so any accessory, whether it be an distressed table, a modern chair or a lime green pillow, it stands out like a great piece of art in a gallery. The lighting in each of these rooms is also fantastically bright and natural, which makes everything look like it is sitting on a cloud. Those things and the fact that there is no junk lying around is what I think makes these rooms look truly Amazing!

• Reply Marta October 12, 2010 at 7:57 pm

Wowww!!! I love the romantic ones!!! Beautiful!

• Reply Lucia October 12, 2010 at 9:00 pm

Number one is my favorite, it is like real dinning room in a real house. It is cozy and the mirrors make it special.
    I like the space in number 5 and it´s earth tones but I would end up putting something with color there.
    Living room number 7 has character.
    The dinning room in grey and white (8) is very peaceful.
    Last kitchen somehow gives me energy.

• Reply Orit October 12, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Thanks for asking… I adore them all, but especially #1 and #5. I love the combination between the whites and the natural wood, I love the country look and the combination of old and new.

• Reply Lizzie [Ten Thou Bride] October 12, 2010 at 9:48 pm

I love #2 & #4 because of the pops of color matched with the modern neutrals!

• Reply Katrine October 12, 2010 at 9:54 pm

They all have light or white floors, and a window. I think that is one of the reasons why all these rooms, seem so nice!

• Reply Eva / Sycamore Street Press October 12, 2010 at 9:54 pm

I always love the white and wood combination…but I’m also loving the more colorful images here (2nd and 4th photos down.) They feel a bit more casual… a bit more thrown together in an artful sort of way…

• Reply Sarah, Pushpin Revolution October 12, 2010 at 10:06 pm

I love the sixth image. The white kitchen with the weathered wood is beautiful. The details are really thoughtful, especially love the painted stair with the natural wood runner.

• Reply Alicia Bock October 12, 2010 at 10:13 pm

For me it is the lightness of all of them. I can only dream of living in such a bright, airy space. The high ceilings and white paint help create a space that you feel like you can breathe, even when they are full of other details.

• Reply se7en October 12, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Wooden floors, open spaces, lots of light, all those make for stunning rooms. But what I love is the comfiness: stuff but not clutter, which makes it comfy but not sterile!!!

• Reply Mariella October 13, 2010 at 1:30 am

I like the spacious airy feeling and the beautiful light each one of them has. Living etc really does feature some gorgeous apartments…

• Reply Robin October 13, 2010 at 3:02 am

I enjoyed seeing all of the photos, but I liked the 4th one way above the rest. It feels lively to me. I am loving a white background to set off everything. The colors and shapes of the furniture are so harmonious. I particularly like the graceful swoops of the flowers in that exquisite vase. And finally, I love the composition of the photo – the way there is movement towards the open door. I got lost in that photo!

• Reply Anastasia October 13, 2010 at 3:28 am

i love #3 and #8 – both because of the airy feel to the rooms, lots of light too which is always a beautiful thing!

with #3 i love how they space is open and there are two sitting areas to choose from but they flow nicely from one to the other – although the tones are minimal there is a lot of texture to keep it interesting – very stylish!!
    with #8 i just love the light! the windows are beautiful and although white can be ‘cold’ this room has a relaxed & warm family feel about it, its a table I could see the whole family getting together to eat, laughing and sharing stories, kids doing homework, crafts etc – it has a lovely feel about it

• Reply Lizzy October 13, 2010 at 4:59 am

I love the first one because I can imagine the people who live there: The owners are elegant – the fancy chandelier and the large, silver coffee pot on the windowsill – but also casual. We can also see the owner’s personal items – the cross on the wall and the coffee mug – so we feel welcomed into a private world.

• Reply Elizabeth October 13, 2010 at 6:08 am

I’m loving the pink painted wall surronding the fire place…. boy do I wish my hubby was more in touch with his feminine side!

• Reply flowing moments October 13, 2010 at 8:51 am

what i appreciate in some of these photos is the sense of space and light they offer, the pale tones of white, beige, grey, the natural woods of the furnitures or floors, the very long kitchen tables where everyone can gather around, where you have all the room to spray ingredients (when making tarts for exemple :), the sense of peace and comfort by the cheminey (i can almost smell the log woods stucked there), the presence of nature behind the windows … ahhh !!!

• Reply Zara October 13, 2010 at 11:48 am

I absolutely love all of these rooms! What a fabulous post!

• Reply Solvi October 13, 2010 at 2:11 pm

Does anyone know who makes the striped carpet in picture 7? I’m looking for something like it in for my living room.

• Reply Denise @ A Bun Can Dance October 13, 2010 at 2:30 pm

I love the room in the second picture. The pink jumps out and delights me, even though I’m unlikely to have such a bold colour in my own home. But also there is a wonderful mixture of simple, everyday rustic furniture with very beautiful glamorous accessories – it works very well and I’d love to spend an afternoon drinking tea in that room !
    Great pictures – thanks for sharing,

• Reply Shari October 13, 2010 at 2:55 pm

I really am drawn to 1,3,4 & 7… start with a color palette and then go find the textures. That’s how I think the lushness is achieved…. you need to be entranced on the visual, the tactile, the imagined olfactory and an overall sense of emotion that’s brought by those things coming together nicely. The hardest part is the texture, because most of the time, the things that I’m drawn to texturally are very expensive!!

LOVE all the room photos, but 1, 3, 4 & 7 are the ones that I would want to live in!

• Reply Shari October 13, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Oops, I meant 8, not 7. Hehe. (Sorry!)

• Reply mosey October 16, 2010 at 4:59 pm

I love 1 and 7 for the same reason. They look like home to me. I could see myself inside each of them feeling perfectly comfortable.
    Pic 1 – It’s the slight disarray of magazines on the table, mixed with wooden chairs that look like they’ve just been sat in.
    Pic 7 – The pops of color and the huge open-space feel, with tall windows make me feel comfy and happy… as if it’s my own home (i wish). In fact I almost wrote “open-space free” by accident :)

• Reply Gosia October 20, 2010 at 6:22 am

You never cease to inspire. I could adopt many of these spaces, but the one that smiles and coos at me is the white kitchen with the rustic pewter colour kitchen armoire and the raw wood countertop kitchen island. These tones and, even more so, textures pull at my heart. Love, love everything about this kitchen, the light, the amount of space (good for cooking and entertaining alike), how clean and calming it is – the feeling that’s needed when you enter the kitchen at the end of your busy day to fix the dinner. Thanks for the treat!

• Reply Tereza October 20, 2010 at 7:28 pm

Beautiful images!

• Reply Tereza October 20, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Love specially the 5th and 7th – the wood floors, the open spaces, the colors and the light. I love natural materials.
    Beautiful images, congratulations.

• Reply denisegk October 21, 2010 at 11:04 pm

It’s the light! I always fall in love with this kind of room. My family have been in our house for about 4 years and we’re finally ready to tackle some redesign and decorating (I like to do it once and never again). I started showing my husband pics of rooms I like from magazines and he totally rained on my parade: “Denise, they do that by manipulating the exposure limits. Those rooms don’t look like that in real life.” Is this true? Or was he freaking out because I’d just asked about knocking down walls and making the windows bigger? You’d think after working as his shooting assistant for the last few years I would have picked up more photography know-how, but I was completely nonplussed!

• Reply Merissa October 23, 2010 at 12:01 pm

Room #7 has high ceilings and large tall windows to let in tons of light. And I rely a lot on natural light for photographs. The room is white and makes for such a clean palette and lets your furniture and special little things in the room stand out. The light in this bright room makes me feel happy and energized. It has a young vibe and I can imagine music in the air, get togethers with friends, and even lots of art and photo projects here. If I were out shopping for an apt. this room would totally win me over!

• Reply michael alexander October 25, 2010 at 5:29 pm

Nothing can finish a room’s décor like the effective use of wall Hangings. People are often uncertain about what to put where. Some of the most common mistakes are wall art hung to high and dimensions of the art out of proportion with the size of the wall. Most people mistakenly believe that pictures should be hung at eye level. But whose eye? A 6’1” man or a 5’3” woman? A better way to gauge the correct height is by looking how the wall art relates to the furniture below it. A good guide is to hang the picture so that the bottom is 6 – 8 inches above other furniture. Higher than that and it becomes disconnected from the furniture and makes the room look out of balance.