Color Inspiration, Decorating Tips

Feelin’ Blue!

October 13, 2010

Blue is one of my favorite colors, it’s so versatile and soothing but when paired with red or orange it can take on a whole new level of energy. Paired with green it feels quite natural. If blue is teamed up with sunny yellow, it makes you feel happy. When blue is mixed with darker shades of brown, it can become very dressy and classy. Here are some of my favorite blue tones in some great rooms from Style At Home magazine. Style At Home is a Canadian decorating magazine that I wish I had access to here in Germany because it looks just great! Their website is amazing and packed with great information no matter where you live in the world…

Feelin Blue!

Feelin Blue!

Feelin Blue!

Feelin Blue!

Feelin Blue!

What comes to mind when you think of the color blue? What thoughts or feelings do you associate with it? Do you use blue in the home?

(images: style at home)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Sandra October 13, 2010 at 12:19 pm

When I think in the colour blue I associate with the sky, the ocean, with the pretty walls of portuguese houses. The feelings: sadness, because of the use of the word in English, but also associate with calm and peace.

• Reply Ludmila {} October 13, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Love that 1st image! Blue makes me think about breezy and fresh interiors, with an airy and crispy feeling to them. Aw, blissful!

• Reply Deb - Pink Pig October 13, 2010 at 12:37 pm

The color blue has now become an accent color in our home…thanks to my husband. When we first married and bought our first home – my husband wanted a blue bedroom. It was a color i never thought about, as i love warm earth tones… However, now in our farmhouse i am using the shade of blue through the house. We painted the floors in the guest bedroom upstairs a fantastic shade of blue and we are using blue slate tiles in our kitchen renovation. Love the photo’s and thanks for sharing.

• Reply AnnOnandOn October 13, 2010 at 2:00 pm

Tiffany & Co. …. and it makes me smile.

• Reply karina October 13, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I would use turquoise blue everywhere, i love that hue.

• Reply Cathy October 13, 2010 at 2:33 pm

Blue, particularly that beautiful aqua is my signature color. There is something so tranquil about it. Love the bedroom and the bathroom.

• Reply Design Elements October 13, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I love that hue! lovely greetings

• Reply Eva Ricci Fine Art Photography October 13, 2010 at 2:44 pm

OMG I LOVE THIS!!!!!!!!!!
    Such a calming color.

• Reply erin October 13, 2010 at 2:45 pm

I used to consider blue to be one of my least favorite colors. It has somehow crept it’s way into my home and is now one of my favorites! It’s not cold like I thought it would be- instead, I find it to be very welcoming.

• Reply Eva Ricci Fine Art Photography October 13, 2010 at 2:45 pm

Holly, I wanted to paint my vestibule in Tiffany Blue…unfortunately I have a husband that put a big damper on that choice …sniff sniff

• Reply Stacey October 13, 2010 at 2:57 pm

Refreshing! Love this post! XX

• Reply Sandy October 13, 2010 at 5:23 pm

Love the images. Looks really soothing. Great info as usual.

• Reply Christine October 13, 2010 at 5:36 pm

I love that first image – the teal blue with the white is perfection!!

• Reply Jess @ Reclaimed Marketplace October 13, 2010 at 6:36 pm

There is nothing better than Tiffany Blue!

• Reply Nicole | blue bicicletta October 13, 2010 at 6:50 pm

oh, beautiful, peaceful rooms! Blue brings to mind peace, expansive skies, possibility—the wide wide ocean, nature, air. I love blue, and can’t wait to be in a more permanent home so I can paint a little studio in blue.

• Reply Lauren October 13, 2010 at 6:54 pm

I think blue is great! My favorite is “porcelain blue”!

I have used it throughout our home with neutrals and love it! I find it very calming, peaceful and sophisticated.

I love those pretty blue chairs over that black & white chevron striped rug. And that wall with the antique white iron bed looks amazing!

• Reply alison October 13, 2010 at 7:25 pm

I’m currently decorating my bedroom in my new apartment and baby blue is my theme color! I love seeing how others pair it different colors to create different atmospheres.

P.S. The chandelier over the bathtub is too cute! I’m looking for a small chandelier to add to my window in my bedroom that would be white/possibly with hints of blue

• Reply Tine October 13, 2010 at 7:35 pm

When I redecorated our bedroom in spring, I used blue of one of the walls – and I haven´t regret it for a single moment! It is a darker blue than theese images, but I think I just love any shades of blue :-)
    (You can see the blue wall in my bedroom here if you like:

• Reply Shannon October 13, 2010 at 10:09 pm

Airiness, coolness, simplicity, relaxing, serenity, refreshing, rejuvenating. These are some of the things I think about when I think of the color blue…:)

• Reply Kristie October 14, 2010 at 12:13 am

My living room is close to the shade in the first picture and my dining room is a shade darker. I love it. It makes me happy just walking through the door after a long day at work.

• Reply jb October 14, 2010 at 12:29 am

looove the color blue – though bigger question, where is that amazing rug from in pic 3 (the zig zag)!?!?! love love love it.

• Reply PriscilaPetersDecor October 14, 2010 at 1:11 am

Wow, stunning bedroom(first image)!!! Nice toucg of blue…

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente October 14, 2010 at 3:51 am

Ah…I love blue so much. These rooms are all so lovely. I use it ever chance I get & it always makes me feel calm. The ocean, the sky…things I always think about when I think of blue.

• Reply mandy October 14, 2010 at 4:17 am

gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous.

• Reply Bianca October 14, 2010 at 5:39 am

When I think of blue for the home, I immediately imagine a duck egg blue and white beach cottage or the beautiful fresh blues you see in a lot of images of Greece.

• Reply priscilla October 14, 2010 at 9:19 am

I always wanted to be a ‘green’ person (I think it is the Martha Stewart infleuence) but recently realised that in every house I have ever lived in I have painted at least one wall (or room) blue. I’m a blue person!

• Reply Melissa Allam October 14, 2010 at 6:15 pm

Blue is my favorite color for the bedroom. It’s very calming to me. I’ve tried other colors in the bedroom, but always go back to blue. Usually lighter blues in turqoise shades. These rooms are very pretty.

• Reply Mitzi Curi October 14, 2010 at 7:27 pm

My mother has a great sense of style and turquoise is her favorite color. She says is has a lot of “life” in it. I have to agree. I love blue/green, aqua, and turquoise paired with vintage chippy white painted furniture. And of course I like robin’s egg blue too….a very soothing shade.

• Reply catina jane October 14, 2010 at 7:46 pm

my bedroom is a soft modern blue and it makes me feel cozy and bright. i love the look of crisp white sheets and curtains against the blue hue of the walls.. you can see a small photo of my bedroom here :
    not the best photo but you get the idea of what I’m talking about :)
    i also love robin’s egg blue and I’m currently on the hunt for the perfect shade for another room in my home..
    the first and last photos you post! oh my! Delicious!

• Reply Lauren October 15, 2010 at 2:43 am

Hi Holly!

I’m the web editor for Style at Home and subscribe to your e-mail updates. I was so happy to see our mag featured on your amazing blog!

As for me, I like pops of Tiffany blue in throw pillows or tinted blue glass bottles with a single bunch of white hydrangea. The rest of my house is mainly white and grey, so the blue definitely stands out.

• Reply Dar October 15, 2010 at 6:14 pm

I love blue, especially with a grey or turquoise cast, or a deep, inky color. We have blue in our bedroom, a very light & airy grey-ish blue, paired with linen & dusky browns. I find it very relaxing.

• Reply monica of hola!design October 16, 2010 at 4:58 am

I’m actually thinking of painting my bedroom walls, and I’ve decided to go with a light blue because I think it’s soothing. I’m gonna add some yellow (curtains and bedding) to make it pop, add some light and make me feel happy during the upcoming winter. Thank you for the tip, I never heard of Style at Home Mag and it’s gorgeous!
    Good luck in Morocco!

• Reply deneise bucko October 16, 2010 at 5:22 am

I’m love a little hint of blue. Don’t think I could get the nerve to do a whole wall.

• Reply Alexandra October 16, 2010 at 3:38 pm

Aahhh just the post I needed as I’m repainting my apartment today from bright peach to aqua blue! I was actually on the fence but this post just reinvigorated me! Thank you!!

• Reply Emily October 16, 2010 at 10:38 pm

K- I don’t swoon easily, but these are gorgeous! I think the first one is my fave and I love the chandelier:)

• Reply Sarah October 16, 2010 at 11:03 pm

I just talked with my designer and we settled on a gray blue for the living room and I can’t be happier! The blue will calm down my red accents, which is exactly how I want to feel in my living space: calm! Thank you for your post and your pictures.

• Reply Pat langley October 17, 2010 at 3:09 am

I have blue in every room of my home; also wear it a lot. it makes me feel good. My dishes are blue and white; the ones we use and the ones on display. The sky is blue, the sea is blue. I see a little blue in almost everything. Thank you for the blue post.

• Reply Paula Jo @ Garden Accents October 18, 2010 at 7:21 pm

I just love blues, and my livingroom is a very light blue, with some darker blue chairs. It’s a soothing color, and I love the pictures you have posted. Blue is easy to decorate with, and just about goes with any other colors.

• Reply Interior Designing Pune October 19, 2010 at 8:21 am

Great work..
    Lovely it

• Reply Ashley H October 19, 2010 at 5:29 pm

BEAUTIFUL blues! Thanks, holly! I especially love the small dining area. How great are those chairs with the rug? Ahhh… :)

• Reply artinox October 21, 2010 at 11:33 am

Hugely fascinating project!

• Reply Kiddlebug October 21, 2010 at 9:25 pm

I have been trying to convince my other half to paint the bedroom blue for awhile. I love Bird’s Egg by Benjamin Moore.
    I am also a fan of Style at Home and have been a regular subscriber for years. My only problem is that I don’t ever want to recycle them!

• Reply Hannah October 22, 2010 at 9:43 pm

Beautiful collection! Is that a Papaya print in the second image?

• Reply BagOfTags October 24, 2010 at 7:21 am

These blues are stunning!! What a beautiful collection!

• Reply Didi October 24, 2010 at 1:57 pm

I just LOVE blue!
    Especially light blue, duck shell, turkooise and grey blue hues.
    At home I have both blue statement pieces (the kitchen, a chair, two small tables) as small details (candles, blue glass, blue pottery, blankets) all in slightly different shades. This combined with a light greyish woorden floor, white walls and ceiling and some accents in grey makes my home feel like holiday everyday!

• Reply Marie @ Sally Lee by the Sea April 4, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Love blue (and white)…have been doing lots of shopping for little blue accents lately and this post is divine! Have a great week. (found you on Home Decor News)