Arts + Crafts

Fresh Wreath Ideas

November 22, 2010

I’ll share some more inspirations from Istanbul throughout the week but I don’t want to overwhelm you with too many travel notes, I know that can be a bit much and I like a good mix on decor8. :) How about a little winter decorating inspiration? Whether you are looking for holiday ideas or simply enjoy decorating for the season well past December 25th, I think wreaths are a great way to cozy up your home for the winter. I usually make my own wreaths out of yarn or flowers, but this year I may give a photo wreath a try. The moment I spotted this one over at Country Living magazine online, I had to share with you because I bet you’ll love it.

Fresh Wreath Ideas

Here is another wreath idea, this time it’s a bit more crafty. These lovely poinsettia blooms crafted out of felt are part of a kit that you can buy here and make yourself — then place them in a frame (with no glass). Very fun and somewhat easy to DIY.

Fresh Wreath Ideas

What do you think, any ideas for wreaths this year?

Psst: More tips on seasonal decorating here.

(images; country living magazine)

You Might Also Like

28 Comments

• Reply Catherine November 22, 2010 at 1:44 pm

Great way to display old photos!

• Reply Lana November 22, 2010 at 2:07 pm

I like the small wreath inside a vintage frame. This year we are making all our wreaths, recycling things in our home and things found in nature.

• Reply juliette November 22, 2010 at 2:42 pm

I did a lot of yarn wreaths last year -lots, as in, I still have two left in a box that were never decorated! I think I may revisit them and try something different-for-me. I’ve been into collages and pom poms lately, so I think I may try something along those lines. We’re having a big Christmas open house this year and I want something fun to greet our guests when they come to the door! =)

• Reply Heather November 22, 2010 at 3:27 pm

I have some lovely ideas I’d like to try this year!
    One of these paper wreaths.. though I may just have to buy one from this Etsy seller.. hers are beautiful!

I also found this awesome tutorial for a burlap wreath here;

Guess I better get busy ;)

• Reply Zoe @ A Quick Study Paper Goods November 22, 2010 at 3:33 pm

That felt wreath is adorable! I, too, love the framed look, but I love wreaths over mirrors even more.

Ez over on Creature Comforts had a great roundup of DIY wreaths last week: http://www.creaturecomfortsblog.com/home/2010/11/15/diy-holiday-wreath-roundup.html

• Reply kendal croix November 22, 2010 at 3:54 pm

the wreaths are too cute. love the old photograph one.

• Reply lottie frank November 22, 2010 at 3:59 pm

wow! love the photowreath idea, I have a wooden wreath which I am decorating but may experiment with this idea in another room x x

• Reply michelle November 22, 2010 at 4:09 pm

I made this wreath last year http://www.designevolutionblog.com/2009/12/diy-christmas-doily-wreath.html hopefully it survived being and storage so I can bring it out again this year.

• Reply Viv November 22, 2010 at 4:56 pm

A picture wreath is a good idea, I will give it a try and make my own wreath this year!

• Reply Jennifer November 22, 2010 at 5:12 pm

I’ve seen wreaths made out of the holiday cards they’ve received. Its a nice way to display all of the beautiful cards received. Unfortunately, a lot less people actually send out actual paper cards, so I’m not sure I’d have enough to make a wreath.

• Reply Shy November 22, 2010 at 5:57 pm

Dear Holly, I love love love your blog!
    Wreaths: was it Martha, I am not sure butrecently while surfing I came across a mother of pearl buttons wreat which was soooooo pretty.
    Shy

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang November 22, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Oh! I am in love with the photo wreath! Lovely!

• Reply Katie November 22, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Really love the old photo wreath!

• Reply A Plum By Any Other Name November 23, 2010 at 1:37 am

Love the photo wreath and I’m thinking one with holiday pictures would be just jolly for the season. So glad you did share!

• Reply Alicia Parsons | Atypical Type A November 23, 2010 at 3:15 am

Love the photo wreath, maybe next year.

This year I am posting a 12 Days of Christmas Crafts series, including two wreaths. One will be felt and wool and the other made of leaf-shaped gift tags.

• Reply Post-College Working Girl November 23, 2010 at 3:39 am

I just posted about wreaths! I love these too!

• Reply Zoe November 23, 2010 at 10:27 am

I adore wreaths and don’t jsut save them Christmas. This photo wreath is a great idea and I am going to have to make that red felt wreath.

• Reply Katie - Coco Målé November 23, 2010 at 11:13 am

Love the photo wreath – what a wonderful idea!! Will definitely try to make my own this year although xmas is approaching so fast, I’m not sure I’ll have time to!!!!

• Reply D'Homez November 23, 2010 at 1:32 pm

Nice idea to make a collage of your family.

• Reply Casa e Cose November 23, 2010 at 2:43 pm

OH yes! I did one this weekend but yet to take photo of it so cant show but it was all done with reycled fabrics…Ah christmas is coming – lets save the tigers!

• Reply Kate November 23, 2010 at 3:21 pm

The first one is so special. What a great way to pull together memories and celebrate family and friends!

• Reply Danielle November 23, 2010 at 3:53 pm

The photo wreath is the definition of fresh. I think its freshness reaches beyond the holidays, too. How about making a wreath of frames, and switching the photos out throughout the year? I think yes!

• Reply Elaine November 23, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Did you see the one in the Dec. Country Living with mother-of-pearl buttons?! SO very beautiful!

• Reply Erica Cottrill November 23, 2010 at 4:35 pm

The use of natural colors, textures and materials continues to be an increasingly popular trend. Fresh wreaths reflect the growth of green-friendly design, using magnolia leaves adorned with elements au naturel, from holiday gourds, pomegranates and natural pods to lemons, artichokes and berries. They also add a sense of serenity to an unadorned space, creating attention with its eye-catching luminous look.

• Reply Dolan Geiman November 24, 2010 at 6:29 pm

The photo wreath is a great idea. I’ve seen beautiful wreaths made with colorful fabric scraps (even straggler socks cut into circles). Just tie knots around a wire wreath base (or wire hanger pulled into a circle).

• Reply Christina November 25, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I’m finding this wreath pretty cool too:

• Reply charlotte lyons November 28, 2010 at 11:26 pm

I made a mostly white wreath from paper, textiles and trims for my friend’s online magazine, Inspired Ideas. Sweet, easy holiday ideas throughout!

• Reply Candace December 2, 2010 at 6:09 pm

My aunt & uncle have a wreath like the photo one… only it’s rigged to hold holiday cards- it’s a great way to display everything you get in the mail!!

Meanwhile, I went for a much more hippie-style: http://candyskitchen.blogspot.com/2010/12/wishing-you-very-hippie-holidays-peace.html