Beautiful Norwegian Home

Would you like to see a lovely Norwegian home today? I was so excited when fellow design blogger, Siw Haveland of Design Shimmer in Norway, wrote in to ask if she could share 12 corners of her home with decor8 readers today. Of course! Of course!

Riw Haveland's Home in Norway

My favorite corner – this is so charming! Everything about it speaks to me…

I’m always keen on sharing inspirational, cozy spaces that ooze with charm and creativity — so let’s see what Siw’s gorgeous home looks like. This was shot by Oslo-based photographer Sandra Aslaksen and some of these images recently appeared in Norwegian design magazine, Bonytt but other than that, they’re pretty new to the web so we’re all pretty lucky to have this pretty place to check out today. Thank you Siw for sharing your home with us…

Riw Haveland's Home in Norway

Her floors look a lot like mine, I have these amazing chevron-patterned wooden floor myself (called technically, herringbone floors). I like the fresh green accents, unexpected and great in a mostly neutral space.

Riw Haveland's Home in Norway

What a clear, modern entryway. This is such a great welcoming space, don’t you think? The twinkle lights were the perfect addition. I love how everything Siw does is super affordable and creative. With very little, she does so much!

Riw Haveland's Home in Norway

I adore this dressing table, the gorgeous high heels lined up on the floor, the white wooden floors, the mirror, the lamp… okay, ALL OF IT. It’s one of those spaces that makes me feel like it’s just the best thing in the world to be a girly girl.

Riw Haveland's Home in Norway

Her tactile, feminine bed covers have to be the most beautiful ones that I’ve ever seen in my life. I’m not even exaggerating when I say that. I have a crochet coverlet, a vintage one, in white but it’s no where are detailed and amazing as Siw’s cover. I also love that big creamy beige throw on top. It’s such an inviting spread. The rug is perfect as well, I have 3 of them in my home — I love warm, cozy rugs. I also like her closet-as-headboard. Very different and this works perfectly if you have lots of pretty clothes like she does in many different colors and patterns.

Riw Haveland's Home in Norway

I like her use of linens and the wooden “DS” for the name of her blog, Design Shimmer, on her inspiration board. I also have a board in the same size that I’ve leaned against the wall in my new workspace too, I have to show you it when I finish my workspace. I’m getting there! Soon!

Riw Haveland's Home in Norway

And here is the pretty homeowner and her great glasses. I just love her look, she matches her home I think – don’t you?

Riw Haveland's Home in Norway

If you didn’t catch this arrangement of jewelry above her dressing table a few images above, then you can see a closer view… this is a simple wire hanger transformed into a place to display her necklaces. Now this is absolutely budget-friendly!

Riw Haveland's Home in Norway

Siw is not scared to mix high and low – in this example an IKEA cabinet with a mid century classic chair and a Kartell Bourgie lamp.

Riw Haveland's Home in Norway

And here’s a view of the entire room where that lovely Kartell lamp is on the IKEA cabinet. It seems she used three of those lockers to form a credenza of sorts – what a clever idea!

Riw Haveland's Home in Norway

Here’s a view of her very, very white kitchen. Wow!

Riw Haveland's Home in Norway

Do you spot anything above that you are particularly drawn to? Anything you’d like to try at home?

I’m always looking to share inspirational homes on decor8, so if you have one — send some photos to me (decor8blog at yahoo dot com) and I’ll check them out for sure! :)

(images: sandra aslaksen)

Posted by decor8 in Home Tours, uncategorized on November 25, 2010

1. the fabled needle (jen) commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 12:39am

i love the white bags on the chair at her dressing table. i also really like the closet as headboard – how clever! i wish i could come up with such ideas.

i have many vintage dresses that are so pretty that it’s a pity to hide them in the closet and this headboard display would be really cool, although i’m also very obsessive/protective of my dresses and would hate for the intense l.a. sun to fade them!
    the fabled needle (jen)´s last blog post ..Dress Parade Holiday Part 1

2. Lillian commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 12:42am

It feels very raw, especially with the clothing rack exposed. I love all of it, its so calm and edgy at the same time, and yes, she does match the house!
    Lillian´s last blog post ..Recent Work

3. Melinda commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 12:54am

Swoon, possibly the loveliest home you have ever shown us Holly. So many details, I love the neutrals with just a hint of green, and the bedding too. Riw reminded me of my danish sister-in-law Bente, she always gets it right too.
    Melinda´s last blog post ..DIY Advent Cards – a little Craft Project

4. Mariela commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 12:55am

Amazing home, very beautiful and modern.
    Mariela´s last blog post ..Pónte relax después de Thanksgiving y comer tanto –

5. trish commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 1:13am

love it! white and bright!
    the ant chair is a must for min-mod. oxo T
    px happy turkey day to you and mr T from the usa:)

6. Lisa commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 1:31am

Hi Holly! Thanks so much for posting this — it’s been a long day and this is just what I needed to bring some peace before the long Thanksgiving weekend.

I really love those rocks by the fireplace — I’d have never thought of that! I have one lonely piece of petrified wood — gotta add more!

And the bird print by the Ikea cabinet — swoon! I have that same cabinet, gotta hunt for something like that to go with.

Thanks again, and I just had to say that I’m so very thankful for your blog and all the times you make me smile. Happy Thanksgiving hugs!
    Lisa´s last blog post ..So thankful

7. Sarah commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 1:46am

Ummm, I think I’d like to try all of it!! I love the kitchen, the wardrobe as headboard, the necklaces on the hanger (though how does she keep them separated without sliding into one another??), the living room sofa, the entryway lighting, the board in the office and the deer head over the fireplace!! oh and the IKEA cabinets-turned-credenza – very creative – so charming and yes, she “matches” her home! thanks for sharing Holly! :))
    Sarah´s last blog post ..Jazzy jewels

8. Cookie Cutter commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 2:03am

My favourite would be the white kitchen and lamp in it. It doesn’t seem to be a very big kitchen but she has worked it beautifully!
    Cookie Cutter´s last blog post ..Cookie Cutter Handmade Journals

9. bells & shells (Aubrey) commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 2:18am

I’m in love with the bedroom and dressing table. The entire place looks so crisp & clean!

10. Laura Gaskill commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 2:19am

Oh my, oh my – I am fanning myself, can you see me? haha :) Seriously though, Siw’s bedroom (actually the whole shebang, but ESPECIALLY her bedroom…) really speaks to me. That bed with the lacy crocheted coverlets and pretty clothes overhead, the dressing table – it just looks like it would be so FUN to live there, don’t you think? I love it.

Have a great weekend Holly! And I’m just curious, will you be celebrating Thanksgiving even though you are now in Germany? If not, are you missing the big feast? xoxo Laura
    Laura Gaskill´s last blog post ..Happy Long Weekend Gratitude

11. Jes commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 2:21am

I think this may be my dream home. I’m in love with the all white kitchen and the Ikea PS Maskros lamp adds texture and fun. I’m planning on putting that lamp in my dining area after the new year. The way she hangs her jewelry with the hanger is gorgeous. There are just so many elements in this home that I would like to incorporate into my own home! Thank you for sharing this amazing space!

12. Sam commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 2:47am

Holy perfection! Absolutely adore this home.

13. Eva Whitney commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 3:11am

Is there text on her kitchen wall? What does it say?!

14. Caren commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 4:20am

That hanger-turned-jewelry-storage is a great idea. But how does she get them to stay so evenly spaced? Looks like she’s knotted the necklaces at the top. That wouldn’t work for some of my finer-chain pieces of jewelry.

Anybody have any ideas on using a hanger without knotting the jewelry? I’m also thinking a door isn’t the best place for this, unless the door gets seldom used.

15. MaeMae commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 5:01am

oooooo myy gaaa!!

1) love the clothes hanging behind that bed

2) totally doing the hanger/necklace scheme.

16. Rebecca via Sanctuary commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 7:23am

Stunning white and bright home with great details!

17. Chantal commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 8:56am

I love the first photo. I love reindeer heads and other forest animals!

18. BODIE and FOU commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 8:59am

I lOVE the fairy lights that run on the wall in the 3rd image although they look bigger than normal fairy lights. In fact I would love something like this light I saw in Suki’s home in Helsinki http://bodieandfou.blogspot.com/2010/10/i-love-this.html

And I really lke her sense of style, very beautiful home!

19. jennifer ramos commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 9:25am

OF COURSE ….all white..Im so into all white these days, not sure what hit me.
    Anyways…..WISHING YOU AND YOUR GUY A HAPPY THANKSGIVING ..not sure if you’d still celebrate it out there…but then again why not?!?
    OXOX
    jennifer ramos´s last blog post ..Rebecca Omweg Stylish Cases for iPhone Via Made by Girl

20. Ludmila {creamylife.com} commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 9:44am

wow it’s gorgeous! love the use of white, but my favorite part is the fireplace, so soothing! I’d reproduce everything in my home!
    Ludmila {creamylife.com}´s last blog post ..ColorInspiration- Cobalt blueOrangeGold

21. Iris commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 10:38am

What a wonderful start of my day, I feel fresh and energized looking at this gorgeous home, thank you for that! I like the old pictures in the hallway and the animals on the mantel. I believe a little humor is essential in styling; an interior must not become too serious.
    Iris´s last blog post ..Up

22. Tina commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 10:45am

Oh, this is just awesome – love all about it! Now, why does my home not look like that?!
    Tina´s last blog post ..My hubby is going to London – suggestions

23. BohèmeCircus commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 11:48am

I like these spaces which come from the Scandinavian countries, this luminous white is always a source of inspiration for me !

24. Astrid Mueller commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 11:51am

Oh goodness. Love, love, love. You should turn your blog into a hotel! Pretty please?
    Astrid Mueller´s last blog post ..Happy Thanksgiving

25. decor8 commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 11:52am

@Eva – Yes, but I’m not sure what it says.

26. Charlotte commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 12:06pm

What a lovely home. I love the fact that you discover new things all the time. Even if I’ve seen it before, I still like the jewelry-wire-hanger-solution. Here it fits the atmosphere in her home perfectly. Thanks for sharing this place with us.

27. ana commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 12:16pm

What great house. The clothes colors beside the bed give that white bedroom such a great twist. I love white kitchens, but I really don’t know how is it possible to mantain it so white, when I cook everything becomes messy :)

28. Milk and Honey Home commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 12:41pm

Holy Moly–seriously?! One of the BEST homes ever you have shown! In love–her creativity!! What I love most? The string of lights above the wainscoting. May I steal that please? I even snagged HER photo for inspiration! The blue beads. Just dreamy–thanks and Happy Thanksgiving.
    Milk and Honey Home´s last blog post ..still grateful &amp Jill Brinson

29. Ruth commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 1:56pm

Amazing! Everything is perfekt, although the open clothrack is not my taste (i think in “real” life and when the home stylists left it soon will not be that tidy anymore…)! I bought this ikea lamp (maskros) that is seen in the kitchen yesterday and planned to put it over the same table!!!! Now Im sure it will work perfectly!!!!- so happy!

30. Hadi commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 2:36pm

What a beautifully designed home – so typically Scandinavian.

I wonder whether Siw has any children or pets – a house as white as that wouldn’t last long with my lot!
    Hadi´s last blog post ..Table Lamp Sizing Guide

31. Sigrid commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 3:10pm

love just about anything Scandinavian, especially that kitchen! white, white, white!!!
    Sigrid´s last blog post ..strange things are happening

32. Jordana @ White Cabana commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 4:10pm

Beautiful. I adore the site and the home! Hooray for Design Shimmer!
    -J
    Jordana @ White Cabana´s last blog post ..The Bar Stool

33. Monica Lee commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 6:00pm

I want to have a huge garage sale and buy white paint! i love homes just like this. It certainly take restraint…something Americans don’t have, haha! BTW Happy Turkey Day Holly!

34. gabriela commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 6:01pm

How does she get her clothes? I mean, does she have to climb onto the bed every time? That’s not really practical, although I loved the IDEA!

35. ~*~saskia~*~ commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 7:58pm

So so sober and sweet! I like it all. xx

36. Marie commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 8:55pm

I must say, its kind of cool to read about a norwegian home on your blog, since I´m a norwegian my self ;)
    xoxo Marie
    Marie´s last blog post ..It´s All In The Details

37. Julie the Alkaline Sister commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 9:48pm

As soon as I saw Norwegian it was over for me! I’m Norwegian! I knew it would be gorgeous but my jaw is dropping! I luuuv this house! I knew I loved white but now I’m in love! and…maybe she’s kinda related to me- my 1/2 brothers last name is Aslaksen!! What a fab post. I’m sooo inspired to uplift my home with way more white!! Thanx Holly- you more than brightened my day:)
    Julie the Alkaline Sister´s last blog post ..Hot Chocolate w- Coconut &amp Almond Milks-When it snows like crazy!

38. Paul commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 9:51pm

Did she actually rotate the table to make the same books visible from all angles?

39. carla lopes commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 10:17pm

what a beatifull home (and owner too). Inspiring!

40. vosgesparis commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 10:57pm

Great place and pictures.. I have been standing a thousand times with that Kartell lamp in my hands…. Just commented on a post of yours and realised later in it was from sept 2009… Dunno if you are ever gonna read it ;)
    vosgesparis´s last blog post ..How to add a touch of nature

41. decor8 commented
    November 25th, 2010 at 11:53pm

@Vosgesparis – I read it. :) I read all of the comments, even ones that are a year old. :)

42. Lori Anderson commented
    November 26th, 2010 at 2:35am

I love the pops of color — I’m a color fanatic, but also love the clean look she’s done. I’d be happy here!

43. Rocio Rincon commented
    November 26th, 2010 at 5:18am

Oh! I love this style of decor! It looks so relaxing and peaceful! I love the image of the lady with the glasses, she looks so modern and chic!
    Rocio Rincon´s last blog post ..Love &amp Chocolate Covered Strawberries

44. Sonja Barrett commented
    November 26th, 2010 at 5:23am

My Norwegian roots are screaming with excitement at this post! I’m loving every nook and cranny of Siw’s house. I would love to experiment with neon lights like the last photo. I think neon lights would be very dramatic in an entry, dining room, or powder room. Keep the inspiration coming Holly!

45. dani kreeft commented
    November 26th, 2010 at 5:48am

it’s so clean and white and fresh!
    i’m amazed.

46. annamaria commented
    November 26th, 2010 at 6:28am

Fantrastic! I am not sure if my house could ever look so white with my lot-four kids and all-but I do love to daydream about all this whiteness!
    annamaria´s last blog post ..Hello winter-

47. Ilva commented
    November 26th, 2010 at 8:11am

What a great apartment to look at when you look for inspiration for a photo shoot! Thanks!

48. Dagny @ Scandinavian Chic commented
    November 26th, 2010 at 10:59am

Holly, how awesome to see you featuring Siw’s apartment! I’m a huge fan of her work and love that her home is filled with ikea pieces, but still looks incredibly personal and chic.

xx
    dagny
    Dagny @ Scandinavian Chic´s last blog post ..Trend Forecast 2011

49. radostina commented
    November 26th, 2010 at 12:46pm

Such a pretty and delicate details here. I love it. Thank you, Holly and have a great long weekend :)

xoxo,
    radostina
    radostina´s last blog post ..Glamorous Friday ♥ Бляскав петък

50. Mitzi Curi commented
    November 26th, 2010 at 1:23pm

To call that home “light-filled” would be an understatement! It does fit the lovely homeowner, for sure. I was particularly drawn to the three dimensional “S” marquee letter. I happen to have a few of those for sale right now in my antique mall booth. They are so cool!
    Mitzi Curi´s last blog post ..Field Trip to a Christmas Craft Sale

51. Caroline @ Red Glasses commented
    November 26th, 2010 at 1:56pm

I think I just about DIED when I saw this. What a gorgeous, light-filled, feminine and UNIQUE space! I love the arrangement of the bedroom and that kitchen is stunning, though I have to say it wouldn’t stay that white at my house for very long.

Caroline
    Caroline @ Red Glasses´s last blog post ..Jesse James Jake Vintage

52. Post-College Working Girl commented
    November 26th, 2010 at 4:52pm

My favorite part is that bed in front of all the clothes, breaks up the white a little bit!
    Post-College Working Girl´s last blog post ..You Tube Friday- The Black Keys

53. Kristie commented
    November 26th, 2010 at 5:12pm

I’m in love with the wood flooring. It adds so much warmth and interest to the lovely monochromatic design.

54. Space by Eliana Tomas commented
    November 26th, 2010 at 6:55pm

i’m totally drawn to the dresses as a headboard and above all the hanger as a jewellery display! stunning!!
    Space by Eliana Tomas´s last blog post ..Maison Moschino- An House To Dream

55. La Boheme commented
    November 26th, 2010 at 8:40pm

I love this girl and her blog! Thank you Holly for giving her such a great introduction! xoxo

56. Becky D@KingsDownRoad commented
    November 26th, 2010 at 9:42pm

Oh my!! LOVE that bench!

57. Dawnie commented
    November 27th, 2010 at 8:05pm

I’m curious about the quote on the kitchen wall, too! How can we find out what it is???
    Dawnie´s last blog post .. in my dreams

58. hena tayeb commented
    November 27th, 2010 at 8:34pm

i love her use of typography, different letters scattered about the house.
    hena tayeb´s last blog post ..Black Friday!

59. D'Homez commented
    November 27th, 2010 at 9:19pm

Great work! Beautifully designed home.. Like it!!
    D’Homez´s last blog post ..Versace Christmas Tableware and Ornaments Collection

60. Margie commented
    November 28th, 2010 at 12:49am

I specially like the the dining table. Im looking for a dining table for months now and this one I like very much. how can I found out more about this table?? Could anyone help me please? Margie

61. Sofie from Envelop.eu commented
    November 28th, 2010 at 10:38am

scandinavians can decorate!
    amazing: bright, light and homy… love it!

62. Shanon{MyFineGarden} commented
    November 28th, 2010 at 8:36pm

I love the great floors, and I’m really drawn to the pile of stones by the fireplace. Someday I really think I will live in a whitewashed house. Homes like this make it so tempting. =)
    Shanon{MyFineGarden}´s last blog post ..Gifts of Stationery

63. Niki commented
    November 29th, 2010 at 4:32am

WOW her place is amazing! I’m definitely drawn to her living room, it’s so pristine but still looks cozy. A must save for my inspiration folder!

xoxo
    Niki
    A Haute Mess
    Niki´s last blog post ..BELLA-issima

64. Jennifer commented
    November 29th, 2010 at 6:17am

the clothes as a headboard- brilliant!
    Jennifer´s last blog post ..Inspiration does a body good

65. Amelca commented
    November 29th, 2010 at 2:58pm

I love the place! I like the idea of a color white theme of the house and a little touch of other colors. White is a great color, every color you put together with the white really looks good and pretty. I love the white kitchen area, I bet it’s really hard to maintain that pure white color. Thanks for sharing this one.
    Amelca´s last blog post ..Conservatory

66. Amelca commented
    November 29th, 2010 at 3:00pm

Nice collection!
    Amelca´s last blog post ..Conservatory

67. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    November 29th, 2010 at 3:56pm

Just gorgeous….I love her bed so much with all of those gorgeous textiles, white floors and cosy rugs…the dining room too, beautiful mix. sigh…thanks hun! :)
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Monday inspiration

68. NYC Interior Design commented
    November 29th, 2010 at 6:29pm

Beautiful job with the colors and fabrics, the dressing table is a nice size and looks great in front of the floor rug.
    NYC Interior Design´s last blog post ..CASCADE LIGHTING

69. Camilla {Hygge Nook} commented
    November 29th, 2010 at 8:25pm

It looks so calming and relaxing and so utterly pretty. Perhaps it’s off that the clothes hanger for the necklaces stands out to me so much but I’ve been looking for a simple solution like that!

70. Camilla {Hygge Nook} commented
    November 29th, 2010 at 8:25pm

It looks so calming and relaxing and so utterly pretty. Perhaps it’s odd that the clothes hanger for the necklaces stands out to me so much but I’ve been looking for a simple solution like that!

71. Ascendi commented
    November 30th, 2010 at 11:19am

Just looking at the photos of this house is a calming experience! An impressive combination of really clean, defined lines and homely warmth – difficult to achieve.

72. Carmelina Lounsbury commented
    December 3rd, 2010 at 10:07pm

Okay…all of the pillows coordinate..the colours the patterns are terrific..and I simply adore that they are not a matching pair…that is so restrictive, I think…especially for artists like me that love to sew and create on a regular basis!

I love this…it was just what I needed to see thanks!

ciao bella!

creative carmelina

73. samantha hahn commented
    December 14th, 2010 at 9:05pm

ohhh I actually really love the bed infront of the “closet”. Great use of space and the cloths become a soft curtain!
    samantha hahn´s last blog post ..Other worldly gift list

74. seesaw commented
    December 16th, 2010 at 9:47pm

i love the white.

75. Melania commented
    January 6th, 2011 at 1:26am

lovely….
    I can not wait to have my own home and decorate it as I love!!!!

i sent you and e-mail today….i hope you can answer me back

76. Chrissy commented
    June 11th, 2011 at 10:39pm

Altho this whole home tour shoot’s a bit overstyled for my taste, I think there’s so many great IKEA takeaway ideas here that will actually work in small homes/apartments/condos – that’s the stand-out for me. It’s often hard to know what to do with a lot of IKEA pieces and this tour has some of the best ideas I’ve seen in forever – thank you so much for sharing. Off to get my own makeup table set up!

77. ro commented