Inspired By Fritz Hansen

December 2, 2010

I don’t write a lot about classic Danish furniture but now that I’m friends with our Danish neighbors upstairs, it has been on my mind more than ever before especially since they work in the wonderful world of furniture + design. It’s great to make a meaningful connection since it can turn you on to things you’d not given much thought to before… For instance yesterday they made me a beautiful calender candle in a flower pot with numbers on it that is a very traditional Danish tradition and I felt so touched by this kind gesture. The idea is to light the candle each day beginning December 1st to give a sense of relaxation during a busy season and often it is lit at the breakfast table in the morning. You have to blow it out before the next number, isn’t that a sweet tradition? But back to Danish design, just this past week I was in a showroom looking for lighting and found myself drooling over the PK22 Easy Chair in white shown in the first image below — do you know this chair?

Inspired By Fritz Hansen

It’s quite expensive but impressive as it is very lovely and can fit in a variety of rooms. Truth is, I’ve been dying to own a pair of these babies for years now… though I’m still not sure I can spend nearly 10K on two chairs – eeek! I’m sure you have similar drool-like-a-fool objects on your wish list.You want them but…. And the BUT part is the part that holds you back, right!?

Fritz Hansen, also known as Republic of Fritz Hansen, is a furniture design company founded in 1872. Designers who have worked for Fritz Hansen, a skilled carpenter and designer himself, include Hans J. Wegner, Arne Jacobsen, Poul Kjærholm and Piet Hein as well as contemporary furniture designers like Cecilie Manz (her Essay table shown directly below is a dream dining room table of mine), Hiromichi Konno and Kasper Salto. Speaking of tables, I have to show you the table I bought today for my work area — I’m doing back flips over it, so I’ll show and tell later…

Inspired By Fritz Hansen

Inspired By Fritz Hansen

Inspired By Fritz Hansen

Inspired By Fritz Hansen

Inspired By Fritz Hansen

Inspired By Fritz Hansen

Inspired By Fritz Hansen

Fritz Hansen’s collaborations have resulted in some famous, classic icons of Danish Design. You may be familiar with one of the most enduring symbols of the Modernist movement, the quirky Egg chair, designed of all places in a garage over 50 years ago. I just love seeing these iconic pieces in the gorgeously styled environments shown above, don’t you? Gorgeous.

Do you have a favorite design classic? If so, what would you love to own if money were no object?

(images: fritz hansen)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Anna @ D16 December 2, 2010 at 12:57 am

My Chihuahua is named after Fritz Hansen! Sort of. I was rolling around on the floor with him the day we brought him home, and I spied the FH logo on the bottom of an Arne Jacobsen stool in my living room…and the perfect name was found. :)

• Reply decor8 December 2, 2010 at 1:32 am

@Anna I didn’t know that about your chihuahua… I knew his name was Fritz but didn’t make the connection. That is so cute, I love it.

• Reply Anna @ D16 December 2, 2010 at 1:03 am

Oh, and if money were no object? I’d be bringing home Jean Prouvé and Charlotte Perriand pieces left and right!

p.s. “ComLuv” has banned my blog! Hah!

• Reply laura trevey December 2, 2010 at 1:25 am

I love the wall art in the 3rd photo… so much inspiration here!

• Reply notabilia December 2, 2010 at 1:30 am

Chair is great but how can I get my hands on that Eiffel Tower?

• Reply Lonely Wife Project December 2, 2010 at 1:45 am

I’m officially inspired!!!

• Reply helen December 2, 2010 at 1:59 am

My Arne Vodder side table (currently acting as my night stand) is my favorite piece of furniture! I bought it at a vintage furniture store, it was expensive ($500 for a small table, the usual Danish side tables go for $100-200 here) but I liked it so much I decided it was a gift to my home. After two years, I still love it, worth every penny!

If money were no object, then I want the Saarinen Womb Chair and Ottoman, with the Nelson swag leg desk!

• Reply Nuit December 2, 2010 at 2:17 am

LOVES IT!!! Never ever ever goes out of style!!!

• Reply Kelley December 2, 2010 at 3:05 am

In addition to the chairs, I LOVE that little cork Eiffel Tower!

• Reply Marisa December 2, 2010 at 4:04 am

Oh – beautiful photo’s! Fritz Hansen always styles well. Corporate Culture in Australia sells alot of Rep of FH and they also do nice photoshoots. Check out their e.mag Cult at http://indesignlive.com/cmag5

• Reply Camellia December 2, 2010 at 4:09 am

I’ve always had a thing for Danish 21st century modern. I love all the Ant Chairs featured in this post. If money weren’t an option, I’d go with some vintage Eames molded plastic chairs. I have my eye on an orange one with an Eiffel tower base. Of course I’d take Saarinen’s Womb Chair too, a pair of them!

• Reply Kiran December 2, 2010 at 5:09 am

Love the style of those chairs, but how can it be justified for 10k, it’s beyond my understanding :)

• Reply Yvonne December 2, 2010 at 10:49 am

My design icon wish: Barcelona chair in cognac or an Egg chair in brown leather. Have been loving these for ages. And because one always gets three wishes when the fairy comes: a sky garden lamp would also be great!.

• Reply Iris December 2, 2010 at 10:58 am

My all time favorites are the Barcelona Chair by Mies van der Rohe and the Eames Rocking Chair, and both in the white version. Oh, if money were no object…..

• Reply Monica December 2, 2010 at 11:25 am

A favorite design classic? If it were only one…. Eames anything, Wegner Classic Chair, Aalto Viipuri Stacking Stool, Risom Chair, Saarinien Pedestal Table and it goes on and on…
    Love the chairs that you are drooling over, the price tag not so much. Ouch.

• Reply sandra lund December 2, 2010 at 4:12 pm

Love the pictures, and glad your are being introduced to the Danish tradition of “calendar -candle” :-) I have many design classics that I like, the “shell chair” by Wegner fx.

• Reply Amy Malanga December 2, 2010 at 4:38 pm

Such beautiful images and great information. Thanks for posting this!

• Reply NYC Interior Design December 2, 2010 at 5:00 pm

The Poul Kjaerholm pk80 bench to the right of the picture is my favorite. I’ve seen it at the MOMA here in New York. It’s the furniture piece for any high end commercial or residential space.

• Reply michelle December 2, 2010 at 5:02 pm

I love the three legged dining chairs like these http://su.pr/269J1c that Hans Wegner designed for Fritz Hansen. If money was no object I would definitely own a Wegner Papa Bear Chair and probably that adorable Finn Juhl Poet love seat.

• Reply visualingual December 3, 2010 at 4:00 pm

I love, love, love the Jacobsen Series 7 chairs. They’re so comfortable and have such graceful lines. We’ve got a set in our dining area; you can see a photo here.

• Reply The Dandelion Chronicles December 3, 2010 at 6:16 pm

Yay! Always nice to find a little cheer to danish design and traditions on one of my favourite blogs!! :)
    We do love our calendar candles but I never realised that it was so Danish.. We have adopted the Advent wreath and the Lucia Parade from Sweden, so now I’m almost sad that I haven’t got a calendar candle yet.. But I remeber as a child that I loved to wake up earlier so I could sit and look at the light during breakfast.. Nostalgia.. :)

About the no money object and Danish design, I would go for the Poeten (Poet) sofa by Finn Juhl.. It costs a gazillion but is so pretty..

Snowy greetings from Denmark

• Reply Rocio Rincon December 3, 2010 at 7:16 pm

Oh wow, I love the pink chairs!!! They truly make a statement without being too much. So chic!

• Reply carla coulson December 3, 2010 at 9:31 pm

What a wonderful collection of inspiring interiors so lovely to have found your beautiful blog. Carla

• Reply Charlotte / l'Atelier December 4, 2010 at 8:57 am

Charles & Ray Eames rocking chair !

• Reply Regis Dudley September 12, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Oh my! These are just gorgeous.

If money were no object I’d buy the technology to clone Fritz Hansen’s eyes and hands, then use them to create gorgeous combinations and collaborations! :)

• Reply Laura September 30, 2012 at 9:28 am

LOVE this post. dripping with inspiration!
    i am painting my living room/dining room tomorrow. we’ll be having a wainscoting party -slash- paint my walls charcoal. massive step for little miss “everything must be painted white.”

trying to burst out of some boundaries here. anyway, ramble is over and i have a little question…

i’ve seen so many gorgeous walls with a very subtle finish on them. not sure if its dry brushed, wax, chalk paint,etc…
    i’ve never done a faux finish before- any suggestions from you guys would be super super appreciated. Thanks!

Have a happy weekend,