Inspired By Fritz Hansen

I don’t write a lot about classic Danish furniture but now that I’m friends with our Danish neighbors upstairs, it has been on my mind more than ever before especially since they work in the wonderful world of furniture + design. It’s great to make a meaningful connection since it can turn you on to things you’d not given much thought to before… For instance yesterday they made me a beautiful calender candle in a flower pot with numbers on it that is a very traditional Danish tradition and I felt so touched by this kind gesture. The idea is to light the candle each day beginning December 1st to give a sense of relaxation during a busy season and often it is lit at the breakfast table in the morning. You have to blow it out before the next number, isn’t that a sweet tradition? But back to Danish design, just this past week I was in a showroom looking for lighting and found myself drooling over the PK22 Easy Chair in white shown in the first image below — do you know this chair?

Republic of Fritz Hansen

It’s quite expensive but impressive as it is very lovely and can fit in a variety of rooms. Truth is, I’ve been dying to own a pair of these babies for years now… though I’m still not sure I can spend nearly 10K on two chairs – eeek! I’m sure you have similar drool-like-a-fool objects on your wish list.You want them but…. And the BUT part is the part that holds you back, right!?

Fritz Hansen, also known as Republic of Fritz Hansen, is a furniture design company founded in 1872. Designers who have worked for Fritz Hansen, a skilled carpenter and designer himself, include Hans J. Wegner, Arne Jacobsen, Poul Kjærholm and Piet Hein as well as contemporary furniture designers like Cecilie Manz (her Essay table shown directly below is a dream dining room table of mine), Hiromichi Konno and Kasper Salto. Speaking of tables, I have to show you the table I bought today for my work area — I’m doing back flips over it, so I’ll show and tell later…

Republic of Fritz Hansen

Republic of Fritz Hansen

Republic of Fritz Hansen

Republic of Fritz Hansen

Republic of Fritz Hansen

Republic of Fritz Hansen

Republic of Fritz Hansen

Fritz Hansen’s collaborations have resulted in some famous, classic icons of Danish Design. You may be familiar with one of the most enduring symbols of the Modernist movement, the quirky Egg chair, designed of all places in a garage over 50 years ago. I just love seeing these iconic pieces in the gorgeously styled environments shown above, don’t you? Gorgeous.

Do you have a favorite design classic? If so, what would you love to own if money were no object?

(images: fritz hansen)

Posted by decor8 in furniture on December 02, 2010

1. Anna @ D16 commented
    December 2nd, 2010 at 12:57am

My Chihuahua is named after Fritz Hansen! Sort of. I was rolling around on the floor with him the day we brought him home, and I spied the FH logo on the bottom of an Arne Jacobsen stool in my living room…and the perfect name was found. :)

2. Anna @ D16 commented
    December 2nd, 2010 at 1:03am

Oh, and if money were no object? I’d be bringing home Jean Prouvé and Charlotte Perriand pieces left and right!

p.s. “ComLuv” has banned my blog! Hah!

3. laura trevey commented
    December 2nd, 2010 at 1:25am

I love the wall art in the 3rd photo… so much inspiration here!
    laura trevey´s last blog post ..DIY Make Your Own Christmas Cards

4. notabilia commented
    December 2nd, 2010 at 1:30am

Chair is great but how can I get my hands on that Eiffel Tower?
    notabilia´s last blog post ..New Column- My Singapore

5. decor8 commented
    December 2nd, 2010 at 1:32am

@Anna I didn’t know that about your chihuahua… I knew his name was Fritz but didn’t make the connection. That is so cute, I love it.

6. Lonely Wife Project commented
    December 2nd, 2010 at 1:45am

I’m officially inspired!!!
    Lonely Wife Project´s last blog post ..Vintage Christmas

7. helen commented
    December 2nd, 2010 at 1:59am

My Arne Vodder side table (currently acting as my night stand) is my favorite piece of furniture! I bought it at a vintage furniture store, it was expensive ($500 for a small table, the usual Danish side tables go for $100-200 here) but I liked it so much I decided it was a gift to my home. After two years, I still love it, worth every penny!

If money were no object, then I want the Saarinen Womb Chair and Ottoman, with the Nelson swag leg desk!
    helen´s last blog post ..Untitled

8. Nuit commented
    December 2nd, 2010 at 2:17am

LOVES IT!!! Never ever ever goes out of style!!!

9. Kelley commented
    December 2nd, 2010 at 3:05am

In addition to the chairs, I LOVE that little cork Eiffel Tower!
    Kelley´s last blog post ..Happy Thanksgiving!

10. Marisa commented
    December 2nd, 2010 at 4:04am

Oh – beautiful photo’s! Fritz Hansen always styles well. Corporate Culture in Australia sells alot of Rep of FH and they also do nice photoshoots. Check out their e.mag Cult at http://indesignlive.com/cmag5
    Marisa´s last blog post ..hello C-Mag!

11. Camellia commented
    December 2nd, 2010 at 4:09am

I’ve always had a thing for Danish 21st century modern. I love all the Ant Chairs featured in this post. If money weren’t an option, I’d go with some vintage Eames molded plastic chairs. I have my eye on an orange one with an Eiffel tower base. Of course I’d take Saarinen’s Womb Chair too, a pair of them!
    Camellia´s last blog post ..December

12. Kiran commented
    December 2nd, 2010 at 5:09am

Love the style of those chairs, but how can it be justified for 10k, it’s beyond my understanding :)

13. Yvonne commented
    December 2nd, 2010 at 10:49am

My design icon wish: Barcelona chair in cognac or an Egg chair in brown leather. Have been loving these for ages. And because one always gets three wishes when the fairy comes: a sky garden lamp would also be great!.
    Yvonne
    Yvonne´s last blog post ..House tour – the entrance

14. Iris commented
    December 2nd, 2010 at 10:58am

My all time favorites are the Barcelona Chair by Mies van der Rohe and the Eames Rocking Chair, and both in the white version. Oh, if money were no object…..

15. Monica commented
    December 2nd, 2010 at 11:25am

A favorite design classic? If it were only one…. Eames anything, Wegner Classic Chair, Aalto Viipuri Stacking Stool, Risom Chair, Saarinien Pedestal Table and it goes on and on…
    Love the chairs that you are drooling over, the price tag not so much. Ouch.
    Monica´s last blog post ..Progress

16. sandra lund commented
    December 2nd, 2010 at 4:12pm

Love the pictures, and glad your are being introduced to the Danish tradition of “calendar -candle” :-) I have many design classics that I like, the “shell chair” by Wegner fx.
    sandra lund´s last blog post ..Brunkager – brown cookies

17. Amy Malanga commented
    December 2nd, 2010 at 4:38pm

Such beautiful images and great information. Thanks for posting this!
    Amy Malanga´s last blog post ..Fine Art Photograph-A dreamy landscape-aspen grove

18. NYC Interior Design commented
    December 2nd, 2010 at 5:00pm

The Poul Kjaerholm pk80 bench to the right of the picture is my favorite. I’ve seen it at the MOMA here in New York. It’s the furniture piece for any high end commercial or residential space.

19. michelle commented
    December 2nd, 2010 at 5:02pm

I love the three legged dining chairs like these http://su.pr/269J1c that Hans Wegner designed for Fritz Hansen. If money was no object I would definitely own a Wegner Papa Bear Chair and probably that adorable Finn Juhl Poet love seat.
    michelle´s last blog post ..Hanerot Halalu

20. visualingual commented
    December 3rd, 2010 at 4:00pm

I love, love, love the Jacobsen Series 7 chairs. They’re so comfortable and have such graceful lines. We’ve got a set in our dining area; you can see a photo here.
    visualingual´s last blog post ..Midwest Seed Bombs

21. The Dandelion Chronicles commented
    December 3rd, 2010 at 6:16pm

Yay! Always nice to find a little cheer to danish design and traditions on one of my favourite blogs!! :)
    We do love our calendar candles but I never realised that it was so Danish.. We have adopted the Advent wreath and the Lucia Parade from Sweden, so now I’m almost sad that I haven’t got a calendar candle yet.. But I remeber as a child that I loved to wake up earlier so I could sit and look at the light during breakfast.. Nostalgia.. :)

About the no money object and Danish design, I would go for the Poeten (Poet) sofa by Finn Juhl.. It costs a gazillion but is so pretty..

Snowy greetings from Denmark
    The Dandelion Chronicles´s last blog post ..Winter has its grip on us now

22. Rocio Rincon commented
    December 3rd, 2010 at 7:16pm

Oh wow, I love the pink chairs!!! They truly make a statement without being too much. So chic!
    Rocio Rincon´s last blog post ..My Sisters Glam Doll

23. carla coulson commented
    December 3rd, 2010 at 9:31pm

What a wonderful collection of inspiring interiors so lovely to have found your beautiful blog. Carla

24. Charlotte / l'Atelier commented
    December 4th, 2010 at 8:57am

Charles & Ray Eames rocking chair !

25. Regis Dudley commented
    September 12th, 2012 at 8:39pm

Oh my! These are just gorgeous.

If money were no object I’d buy the technology to clone Fritz Hansen’s eyes and hands, then use them to create gorgeous combinations and collaborations! :)

26. Laura commented
    September 30th, 2012 at 9:28am

LOVE this post. dripping with inspiration!
    i am painting my living room/dining room tomorrow. we’ll be having a wainscoting party -slash- paint my walls charcoal. massive step for little miss “everything must be painted white.”

trying to burst out of some boundaries here. anyway, ramble is over and i have a little question…

i’ve seen so many gorgeous walls with a very subtle finish on them. not sure if its dry brushed, wax, chalk paint,etc…
    i’ve never done a faux finish before- any suggestions from you guys would be super super appreciated. Thanks!

Have a happy weekend,