Color Me Pretty: Merry + Bright

Hello Friends, it is Leslie here with Color Me Pretty for December. I am really inspired by some of the soft colors used for decorating for the holidays. Hues like aqua, soft lavender, butter yellow and silver. It is a pleasure to experiment with a more subtle hued approach. With the help of a few sparkly ornaments and some candles, I can already feel my holiday spirit being lifted.

Color Me Pretty is live!

Wrapping gifts has always been a real joy for me. I love seeing parcels nicely wrapped and tied with ribbon. I also cannot seem to throw out pieces of nice paper, as I tend to save them all. Lately, I have been into making paper quilts to use as wrapping paper for special friends who enjoy paper like I do.

I use tape to quilt together pretty scraps of paper to make a larger piece of paper to then wrap presents with. The process does not take very long and I like the effect after a simple ribbon is added. It is a nice way to use gorgeous bits that may have otherwise gone in the trash.

I had to include this photograph of a special bag I purchased in Amsterdam in October as it has been hanging in my studio and I have been staring at it for some time. You can see how the palette has been influencing me! The bag was made by the hands of Leslie Oschmann an American designer living in Amsterdam who I had the pleasure of meeting. She is a lovely, warm and very talented designer who turns old unwanted paintings into new tote bags. Leslie also breathes new life into chairs and jewelry. You can read more about what she is up to on her website. Some of her bags are also available at Anthropologie.

It is my wish for you (and me) to fit in some “slow” moments this season as they help make a hectic holiday routine more manageable.  Create space for a lingering cup of tea, a little time to savor yummy books or magazines, an afternoon for organizing or at least a minute to indulge in the scents of fresh flowers. Whatever holidays you celebrate I hope these last few weeks of 2010 are filled with joy. See you next year and thank you! – Leslie!

(images: leslie shewring)

Posted by decor8 in Color Inspiration, Color Me Pretty on December 08, 2010

1. Inga commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 10:36am

Paper quilts as wrapping paper is the best idea EVER!

2. carole commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 10:38am

Beautiful as always Leslie. I love the idea of the paper quilts, I’ll definitely be trying that. Thrifty and gorgeous!
    Have a lovely Christmas both of you.
    Lots of love,
    Carole x
    carole´s last blog post ..Christmas Gift Ideas – Part IX………

3. Ludmila {creamylife.com} commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 10:40am

This color palette is right up my alley! Loving the gentle purple against the bright turquoise, along with all the other dusted colors. Lovely as always, Leslie!
    Ludmila {creamylife.com}´s last blog post ..Blogger to blogger- decor8

4. Katie commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 10:41am

Oh gosh, you were right: I do LOVE the Holiday Edition! Purple/lilac is my number one choice to fancy anything up. Beautiful post, Leslie.
    Katie´s last blog post ..Fabric wallet organizer

5. Bieb commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 10:42am

A beautifuil wish Leslie, thanx!
    It’s kind of what Santa also always tells us…; )

Hohohohohoho…..

Bieb´s last blog post ..Made in Zeeland

6. Tina commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 10:49am

These pics are absolutely yummy! :-)
    Tina´s last blog post ..Four months to go

7. Will commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 10:49am

No, thank YOU, Leslie, for sharing such wonderful inspirations with us in your Colour Me Pretty column. I look forward to it each month and your gentle festive theme here is no different – brilliant!
    Will´s last blog post ..A Habitat Christmas

8. European Chic commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 10:50am

Georgeous colour combinations as always! I wished I was the lucky reciever of one of these beautifully wrapped gifts.

Colour Me Pretty has to be my favourite column.
    European Chic´s last blog post ..French Impressions III

9. Carol commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 11:01am

Gorgeous – those colours make me go all wobbly! What font did you use for the ‘colour me pretty’ text?? I love it xx
    Carol´s last blog post ..Featured item!

10. Châtaigne commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 11:18am

Amazing work! I love the use of pieces of paper for gift wrapping and the colour and texture combination Leslie has used.
    Châtaigne
    Châtaigne´s last blog post ..CHRISTMAS STOCKINGS

11. Susana commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 11:48am

Oh my God, I love Leslie and Color Me Pretty!… Such an eye candy!… I love lilac, greens and white – those are the colors that I chose for my birthday table. Adorable post. xo
    Susana´s last blog post ..Christmas tartlet

12. Sally commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 12:46pm

Love the paper quilt idea – I have a huge box filled to the brim with bits of beautiful paper, definitely making my own Christmas paper this year now!!
    Sally´s last blog post ..christmas time…

13. Iris commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 1:01pm

So calming and yet so festive!
    Iris´s last blog post ..Kerst inspiratie

14. Kate kelly commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 1:02pm

I love it when ‘Colour me Pretty’ comes around! I love the Photograph with a collection of different ribbons and twine. Would be perfect framed and put on my wall in my study! Thanks Leslie, and Happy Christmas! Kate :-)

15. S commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 1:30pm

Quilting with tape is a great idea for wrapping paper :)
    S´s last blog post ..Butterflies – Digital Collage Sheet

16. Traveling Mama commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 1:51pm

Leslie, these photos are so beautiful. The paper quilts are brilliant! And did I notice a few Danish items in some of the photos? Your decor looks so much like what I am seeing here! I’ve been enjoying the latest BoligLiv which came as a two magazine special this month, which were both full of many beautiful Christmas ideas! Now I just need to get you to come for a Christmas market trip! :-)
    Traveling Mama´s last blog post ..celebrating advent

17. Couture Hayez commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 2:11pm

Beautiful photos and wonderful blog, here is a dream!
    Couture Hayez´s last blog post ..Colori e ispirazioni-Rosa pesca

18. Make, Do & Send commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 2:13pm

I am so inspired by your paper quilt wrapping paper, what a fantastic idea and it looks so pretty in this colour palette :) Thanks for sharing, Alex

19. Alyssa commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 2:20pm

The paper quilt is beautiful! And a great way to use up oddly shaped paper scraps.

20. stephanie commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 3:12pm

Leslie, I can’t tell you how much I enjoy your features – they are stunning, inspiring, and so well done. I’ll leave this open and look at it all throughout the day today – thanks for sharing your talent with us. :)

21. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 3:23pm

Oh wow….this may be my very favorite one, ever. Have I said that before? It’s totally possible, as everything you do makes me want to dance around! :)
    I love this inspired palette Leslie, and the quilt wrapping paper is divine. Also, that bag is just too amazing….I keep staring at them on her site. Your collage of all the ribbon and flowers is just breathtaking….I just can’t even believe the amazing amount of beautiful things you have at your fingertips! Just awesome…and so very, very inspiring! Thanks darlin, for adding a lot of beauty and joy to my holidays! :)
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Cheap &amp Chic

22. Lindsay @ Yams commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 3:47pm

WOW! SO in love with her quilted gift wrap! And those patterned sticky notes! AMAZING job this time, Leslie!!

23. Diane @ home sweet homemade commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 3:59pm

Leslie, thanks for the inspiration! The quilted wrapping paper is just the nicest personal touch, isn’t it? And your tiny little baubles adorning plain branches in a white porcelain pitcher look homey-holiday perfect! Love it all, thanks for sharing :)
    Diane @ home sweet homemade´s last blog post ..guest spot on Remodelaholic

24. tiina { sparkling ink } commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 4:13pm

Leslie, once again, absolutely gorgeous work. I love to come here and see your post. It goes perfectly together with all the inspiring posts by Holly!
    tiina { sparkling ink }´s last blog post .. cranberry almond biscotti

25. Zoe @ A Quick Study Paper Goods commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 4:17pm

I loooove that ribbon photo! Such dreamy colors, and I am not usually a purple person.
    Zoe @ A Quick Study Paper Goods´s last blog post ..Remember Bow To Do List Pad

26. Izabella commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 5:01pm

I love the thread and ribbons. What wonderful colors and texture. I am not a purple person either but these images make it hard not to fall in love with the color…

27. Kate @ Songs Kate Sang commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 5:32pm

Oh my heavens. That is just beautiful! I love the paper scraps made into quilted gift wrap.
    Kate @ Songs Kate Sang´s last blog post ..Water Africa

28. Erika ~TiptoeButterfly~ commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 6:12pm

i love that crochet ball thing – so simple and cute!

PS – invite only sample SALES on my post today – 96% off retail baby!

*kiss kiss*
    Erika
    ~Tiptoe Butterfly~
    Erika ~TiptoeButterfly~´s last blog post ..Save Money – Top Brands – Sample Sales

29. Rocio Rincon commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 6:22pm

Oh my, what a beautiful color scheme. I really love the cup of tea, it looks inviting. Mmmmh!
    Rocio Rincon´s last blog post ..Mexican Hot Chocolate Recipe

30. Shanon{MyFineGarden} commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 6:57pm

I just adore that 2nd shot– it’s full of all goodness! =) You make a beautiful world Leslie!
    Shanon{MyFineGarden}´s last blog post ..I had a merry little weekend

31. Vanessa Elizabeth commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 7:17pm

What a gorgeous collection of images you have! The colours are so not tradition, but I love them. Especially with the touches of metallic.
    Vanessa Elizabeth´s last blog post ..But which is it

32. STYLIZIMO commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 8:08pm

Delightful as always, Leslie! I love the color combinations you have used here. Thank you for an inspiring post!
    Hugs, Nina
    STYLIZIMO´s last blog post .. Giveaway!

33. Sibylle commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 9:36pm

Beautiful! i will go with turquoise this year;-)

34. Tracy Kunzler commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 9:48pm

GORGEOUS post! Thanks! LOVE the idea of “quilting” paper scraps together! Smart and beautiful result!
    Tracy Kunzler´s last blog post ..Personalized Dog Print With Your Choice of Dog Breed

35. Sugar commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 10:03pm

Wow. So my cup of tea. Love it.
    Sugar´s last blog post ..Style Board- Guest Room 3

36. Diane commented
    December 8th, 2010 at 10:22pm

I love this colour palette. That is the prettiest Christmas wrapping ever! Thank you for the inspiration Leslie!

37. Kate commented
    December 9th, 2010 at 6:12pm

This is so fresh and lovely. This feature is so consistently inspiring and here I feel like a different color palette really changes the feel of the season. The patchwork wrapping paper is gorgeous. I also love the idea of using a bare branch to display a few, special ornaments. Thanks for this!
    Kate´s last blog post ..The Heritage-Brand Hipster Movement

38. City Chic - Jamie commented
    December 10th, 2010 at 3:16pm

Thank you for another lovely color me pretty post, this always makes my day when I see it! I’m inspired to wrap gifts this weekend and hopefully make time to do a few crafty holiday projects, thanks for the inspiration!!

39. Dana Barbieri commented
    December 12th, 2010 at 4:59pm

i love using the tape for the quilts. i was going to do some by stitching the paper but the tape is so much easier and pretty.
    Dana Barbieri´s last blog post ..Paper and Pom Poms

40. JOneen Small commented
    December 13th, 2010 at 3:50pm

Morning Leslie,

Here it is December 13th and this is the first moment I have had to myself since I last saw you. Browsing your beautiful creations is very soothing to the soul and your comment to relax with a cup of tea is what gets me through some days. Just love your soft colors and designs. xo Joneen

41. Ivy commented
    December 15th, 2010 at 11:09pm

So, so beautiful! I absolutely love this palette. So different and feminine for the holidays! That bag is so gorgeous. I’m off to go check out her site! Thanks so much for sharing all this loveliness with us. xo Ivy
    Ivy´s last blog post ..Link Love

42. kelly commented
    December 21st, 2010 at 9:25am

the idea of the paper quilts is so lovely~ these really inspire me a lot for my christmas wrapping. thank you leslie!
    kelly´s last blog post ..lucky的第一張肖像