DIY: Affordable Branch Pendant

January 10, 2011

I’m so excited to bring you Anna-Malin Lindgren, a new decor8 columnist based in Sweden, who will produce a special project for us to share on the 2nd Monday of each month. She isn’t really writing a DIY column, so all of the details will not be provided step-by-step, but she will be sharing things that she makes for her home along with how she used them to decorate a room for a little decorating inspiration. I’m going to hand the mic over to Anna-Malin now, so please, take it away and show us what you’ve made!

DIY: Affordable Branch Pendant

Hello decor8 readers! Today I’ll show you a nice, personal lamp that I made from simple means and how I decorated my dining room around the light so that you can get a double dose of inspiration. I will do this in all of my columns because showing only what I made may not be that helpful but seeing something handmade in the home — “in-situ” — just may give you a different perspective on how you can decorate nicely on a budget by making things yourself. If you want to try to make this affordable branch pendant you’ll need only a few key ingredients: an electrician, a branch from a tree (quite large) and 4 fabric-covered cables with either plastic or porcelain white sockets (try NUD Collection for a variety of cord colors). I got the idea for this lamp when I saw a picture in a magazine a year ago (inspiration below) and I thought to  myself – I can do this! Here is my inspiration…

DIY: Affordable Branch Pendant

I kept this tear from a magazine, I can do this! So I did!

I had the branch already for several months. It was brought home by my youngest son when we were out walking in the woods last summer. I started by hanging the lamps on the branch to figure out the perfect placement. When they had the right amount of space in between them, I used ordinary black tape to secure them in place. The next step was to measure the distance from the ceiling and then I selected a point where I gathered all of the cords and taped them together, tightly. Tip: When you finish, make sure you use clear bulbs – not frosted ones!

DIY: Affordable Branch Pendant

DIY: Affordable Branch Pendant

DIY: Affordable Branch Pendant

Taping them into place…

Next, I cut the cords (with a few inches to spare) and called my “hubby” — he did all the electrical stuff and fixed it so that the four cords connected to only one. You can use a terminal strip for this but I suggest calling in a friend who is an electrician because you can seriously cause problems or worse, burn your house down if you do this wrong – I nor decor8 can take responsibility for your safety, so check with a trained electrician! My husband also removed the tape and secured the cords onto the wood with u-shaped nails.

DIY: Affordable Branch Pendant

DIY: Affordable Branch Pendant

DIY: Affordable Branch Pendant

DIY: Affordable Branch Pendant

DIY: Affordable Branch Pendant

Voilá! Not hard at all. Now I have a unique, personal lamp for not much money at all. The cords were about 10 euros each (so 40 Euros) and the branch was for free! Of course, you’ll have to pay for the time of an electrician (I was lucky to have my husband) but if you have a friend who is one, or relative, perhaps this light will be an affordable option over your dining room table, too.

Did you like this? Next month I will surprise you with something fresh and fun (and affordable) so stay tuned. If you have any questions about this project please ask in the comments section below.

See you with another project on February 14th! Anna-Malin Lindgren.

(images: anna-malin lindgren)

You Might Also Like

• Reply ChantaleP January 10, 2011 at 5:04 pm

What a great first post! Love this DIY, so refreshing and quite a statement maker. Welcome Anna to Decor8, I can’t wait to see more!

• Reply laura evans January 10, 2011 at 5:05 pm

love the variety of textures in the room … wood, metal, wool etc … & the tones are so calming. The mirror & the bench really stand out for me. gorgeous.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente January 10, 2011 at 5:08 pm

ABSOLUTLEY fantastic! I love it & love that you thought you could do it & DID! So happy to see you here at lovely Holly’s! What a treat it will be for us each month! Can’t wait to see the next one! Your home is so warm & beautiful as well. Welcome aboard!

• Reply Traveling Mama January 10, 2011 at 5:09 pm

This is such a happy and exciting day to see you and your beautiful home here on Decor8! I love your light and the organic feel it added to your dining room. I will be looking forward to the second Monday of each month from now on!

• Reply ishtar January 10, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Hello Anna!!
    It´s really exciting to have you in Decor8 sharing your wonderful ideas!!! I love how modern and fresh this lamp looks! : )

• Reply Peggy January 10, 2011 at 5:11 pm

Very nice and easy!
    My husband could do the electrician part as well :)
    And this house, at least this corner we see here… well… are you interested in a house swap? *lol*
    Looking forward to the Mondays!

• Reply juliette January 10, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I love this! We made our own jam jar lamps after I spotted them somewhere else (and sporting astronomical price tags) and it was totally worth it. I always smile when I think we actually ate up the original contents of those jars at the table over which they now hang, lol! It’s really fun to have functional things in your home that you created.

Welcome to Decor8 and I’m really looking forward to your project ideas!

• Reply Ashley Jennings January 10, 2011 at 5:23 pm

Ok, so I think I just had a mental orgasm. I don’t think I have ever been more excited to see the work of a columnist. Her style is absolutely stunning and black, white, natural are my faves.
    Great find on this girl, dang Holly! You nailed it on this one.

• Reply rike January 10, 2011 at 5:28 pm

wow, i love it! thank you for sharing … and luckily meanwhile you can find some nice looking energy saving lamps too :)

all the best

• Reply Ellen McHale January 10, 2011 at 5:30 pm

I think that is such a clever idea. I like the fact that your son found the branch and that you had been saving it for the fixture. I have piles of inspirational tear sheets that I’ve been saving and now feel the need to go through them to see what I might create on my own.

Looking forward to your next post!

• Reply wendy of wendys hat January 10, 2011 at 5:36 pm

Very creative! Love it and love your kitchen!

• Reply tiina { sparkling ink } January 10, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Oh, so perfect! I think the secret of a lovely over all atmosphere is in a couple of well thought details. What a wonderful post – great to see you writing here! x

• Reply Kimberly January 10, 2011 at 5:37 pm

This is an awesome first post! I cannot believe you were nervous :) Lovely photographs too, photos are my thing, and yours are just visually yummy!

• Reply theScandinavianMum January 10, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Dear Anna-Malin Lindgren.
    Wonderful post and tons of inspiration!
    I can’t wait until your next post.

Lots of love
    LittleScandinavian in London x

• Reply Jessika (Oh My Handmade) January 10, 2011 at 5:38 pm

The DIY inspiration is fabulous, I love the industrial meets rustic look of the lamp & the room. Thank you!

• Reply Laurie January 10, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Really cool lamp! I love the attitude that you saw something you liked and said, “I can make that.” and then you did!!! Great and beautiful post!!!

• Reply Jessica January 10, 2011 at 5:41 pm

wow, that is so striking!

• Reply weddingchicks January 10, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Welcome Anna-Malin! What a great first post and we look forward to your future posts! (:

• Reply Emma January 10, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I’ve always wanted to know how to make one of these and now I know. Yours look absolutely fantastic (even better than the inspiration shot!). Thanks for the tutorial. Looking forward to following your posts on Mondays.

• Reply Vanessa Elizabeth @ Ruffled Rose January 10, 2011 at 5:43 pm

I saw something like this when I was antiquing a few weeks ago. They used fishing line and hung Christmas ornaments from the branch for Christmas decorations.

• Reply Katherine January 10, 2011 at 5:43 pm

Great project (and room!)
    I’m looking forward to the next!

• Reply OrangeFarmhouse - Maike January 10, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this! Still having my christmasbranch in the house and with my Muuto lamps I can make it in no time! Thanks for the great idea!!

• Reply Matthew Stinchcomb January 10, 2011 at 5:45 pm

fantastic post! We are actually wiring our own handmade lamps in the office today. I love your photos too!

• Reply Kajsa January 10, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Fabulous idea and gorgeous result! I already look forward to your next visit, it’s on Valentine’s Day!

• Reply Suzanne January 10, 2011 at 5:45 pm

Great idea! I love it! I am really inspired and think I will try to make something nice too! Looking forward to your next blogpost! Good-luck!

• Reply caro January 10, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Oh, what a great idea. I’m searching for a new lamp for my dining room since months. I’m going to show it to my husband. Thank you for sharing this! I’m really looking forward for your next idea and post here on decor8! caro

• Reply Sondra January 10, 2011 at 5:46 pm

That looks like a project I could actually manage to do on my own! Love it! I especially love the combination of textures- nature and modern electricity!

• Reply Deena (@urbanbydesign) January 10, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Welcome Anna-Malin! What a great first project to showcase, and I love your creativity! I look forward to seeing more of your work. :)

• Reply molly January 10, 2011 at 5:47 pm

What a great diy project! And I love how it relates so well to the rustic bench at the table!

Looking forward to more fabulous projects!

• Reply jenn January 10, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Beautiful! And I love that you saw a picture in a magazine and went for it! I’m really looking forward to all your columns … love you style :)

• Reply Margot Madison January 10, 2011 at 5:49 pm

Super creative and I’ve been needing some inspiration to get some light into my living room. Welcome and thanks for a great post!

• Reply Valentina January 10, 2011 at 5:51 pm

lovely project!
    i can’t wait to try this in my place…
    welcome to decor8!
    and congrats to holly for this great columnist!

• Reply Brunkullan med mosipperotter January 10, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Lovely, just lovely! Like everything else you do, Anna-Malin!
    I like the lamp som much. I wish I had a few more rooms in our house, so I can have all the things I want:)
    I look forward to next month to se your work.

• Reply april pride January 10, 2011 at 5:56 pm

So clever and great pics. Loves the gray, black and white with branches. Feels very appropriate for winter style.

• Reply ibabe January 10, 2011 at 5:57 pm

Love it!
    And love that boots..where are from?

• Reply decor8 January 10, 2011 at 7:38 pm

@ibabe – I was thinking the same thing because I want those boots too!!!!

• Reply sandra lund January 10, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I love it, love the branch and love that it is something affordable and easy to do, thanks! Looking forward to your other posts!

• Reply Heather Espana January 10, 2011 at 5:58 pm

This is fantastic!

• Reply Gina January 10, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Ohhh, beautiful! And your home is lovely!

• Reply Chedva (Belly's Button) January 10, 2011 at 6:17 pm

What an amazing light fixture! Your whole dining room is so beautiful and sophisticated, and the branch adds a lot. I actually think it came out better than your inspiration tear sheet:)

• Reply yahaira January 10, 2011 at 6:25 pm

very nice. i love this idea and the whole itself. great post.

• Reply Tricia McKellar January 10, 2011 at 6:33 pm

So wonderful and creative Anna-Malin! :) So glad you’ve joined decor8!

• Reply STYLIZIMO January 10, 2011 at 6:35 pm

You are always so creative Anna – Malin! This is a lovely project and I like the fact that it´s affordable too :)
    I`m looking forward to your next project!

• Reply eleonora January 10, 2011 at 6:43 pm

great idea! I’m just back from a day in the forest, I saw so many of this nice branches! Next time I’ll collect some… I really love DIY! looking forward for the next post! thank you! ele

• Reply Erin - The Smallest Sparrow January 10, 2011 at 6:43 pm

Great project idea! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply cris camarena January 10, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I love it, and it looks awesome in your house, thanks for sharing.

• Reply Chloe from Love Making It January 10, 2011 at 6:51 pm

Love the lettering in the mirror!

• Reply kitchen-dreams January 10, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Fantastic! I have a perfect spot for this that is yearning for more light!

• Reply Suze January 10, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Ciao Anna-Malin,
    I’m already in love with your column (and your gorgeous home)!
    Looking forward for next project.
    Thanks Holly for bringing Anna-Malin to us. :)

• Reply Carmella January 10, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Looove outside the box thinking! Great idea, great photos, great instructions! Welcome! Looking forward to all 2nd Mondays!

• Reply Ludmila {} January 10, 2011 at 7:21 pm

brilliant! love the pics and this little, but so pretty projects. bravo, Anna-Malin! xo

• Reply Concha January 10, 2011 at 7:22 pm

So glad we can read this new column, Holly and Anna-Malin! :)

• Reply christine {bijouandboheme} January 10, 2011 at 7:30 pm

This was fabulous- what an amazing DIY! Very much looking forward to seeing more from you:)

• Reply Iris January 10, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Yes, I like it a lot! Lovely to see you here, cannot wait until you appear again!

• Reply riye January 10, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Great post and such a cool lamp! And thank you for explaining how you made it as well. It’s so frustrating when people don’t provide an explanation. Can’t wait to see your next post!

• Reply Anna January 10, 2011 at 7:44 pm

nice! I’m impressed and inspired.

• Reply andria January 10, 2011 at 8:04 pm

I love your use of the Dala horse! I have one that I’d like to start displaying in my everyday life. I’m so proud of my Swedish ancestry and traditions!

• Reply Victoria Bennett Beyer January 10, 2011 at 8:04 pm

That’s pretty darn cool. I look forward to your other great ideas.

• Reply victoria January 10, 2011 at 8:08 pm

awesome addition to the blog! can i steal her away from you, holly? ;)

i love this diy!

• Reply decor8 January 11, 2011 at 12:11 am

@Victoria – No way Jose, go find your own stylish Scandinavian blogger!!!! LOL :) Glad you like her V, she is a great lady. She’ll be in the book along with some of your great decorating advice so stay tuned!!!!

• Reply Diane @ home sweet homemade January 10, 2011 at 8:14 pm

Yes! I do love this. It is perfectly simply beautiful. I’ve been pining over some industrial caged pendant lamps, but the organic beauty of a lovely branch is far superior. Thank you for the wonderful inspiration!

• Reply Mistuk January 10, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Absolutely love it! We were looking for a light fixture idea. Might get inspired by this on… : )

• Reply Beth S January 10, 2011 at 8:20 pm

So lovely! Thank you for sharing! Putting it in my folder of things to try. :)

• Reply knack January 10, 2011 at 8:22 pm

this is so amazingly fantastic! Not only is the light fixture the coolest, but your home, photography and styling are simply unbelievable! Well done!

can’t wait to see next month!

• Reply Jan January 10, 2011 at 8:31 pm

This is very nice idea – wish I have space for a dinning table at my home!

• Reply Tracy Kunzler January 10, 2011 at 8:34 pm

This is SO COOL! I love how nature and technology come together and that the bulbs are hanging at varying lengths. (Great boots in the foreground, too!) Thanks for the “bright” idea! ;-)

• Reply Raina Kattelson January 10, 2011 at 8:35 pm

How beautiful. I only wish the cool cord was available here in the States. Can’t wait to see more of your work.

• Reply Darla Arni January 10, 2011 at 8:42 pm

Branches are great to use; I am always picking them up before my husband throws them out. My favorite things however were the tiny Dala horse and your boots. The horse brought back memories of July summers spent in Sweden which is just what I needed on this snowy day!

• Reply Claudia January 10, 2011 at 8:43 pm

What a lovely collaboration, a marriage made in heaven and lucky us! So happy to see you here Anna-Malin…your style is so fresh & clean and i love your photo vibe. The fixture is so great; looking forward to all your projects!

• Reply Tina January 10, 2011 at 8:59 pm

Brilliant idea!!! I love your column already, looking forward to your next project!

• Reply Holly Johnson January 10, 2011 at 9:24 pm

I really like this—-the joining of very contemporary and found object. I love the mirror behind too with great stuff on ledge. I will be reading your posts! Thank you!

• Reply Allison January 10, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Such beautiful styling and photography! It’s wonderful to see your work on Decor8 Anna-Malin. Really looking forward to your monthly column.

• Reply Tina January 10, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Love your idea and style,
    can´t wit to see your next project, Tina

• Reply Dani January 10, 2011 at 9:37 pm

Really cool

I love this column *-*

• Reply LIV!@home January 10, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Hi Anna – Malin,
    Thanks for the first DIY post on decor8!
    ‘Less is more’ you cansay about this project. Looking forward to your next one ;).

• Reply Anna-Malin January 10, 2011 at 9:46 pm

A big thanks to ALL of you!!!
    You make me feel so welcome here at decor8!

• Reply Monica January 10, 2011 at 9:48 pm

What a wonderful post to debut as guest writer on decor8. Looking forward to many more lovely posts.

• Reply Chic Done Cheap January 10, 2011 at 10:12 pm

I love the mix of industrial and natural elements!

-Chic Done Cheap

• Reply polarite January 10, 2011 at 10:16 pm

what a great idea!:)

• Reply Splendid Willow January 10, 2011 at 10:58 pm

Anna-Malin, you never disappoint! Maybe I can talk my hubby into helping me with a similar project… I just bought this table: (Great price and it is GRAY and real oak!)

A unique pendant is just what I am looking for!

Well done, my friend!

ox/kram Mon

• Reply Elfya January 10, 2011 at 11:16 pm

very cute! What a nice, welcoming home!! Diverse, yet very harmonious!

• Reply Tamara, Bella Boho January 10, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Thank you Anna! I’m thinking I might try with a couple of antlers…my brother needs a light for his dining area!

TC, Bella Boho

• Reply Sofia på Mokkasin January 10, 2011 at 11:42 pm

This is just lovely!

• Reply vera b January 11, 2011 at 12:18 am

oh my. this is just stunning.
    totally wonderful first post. x

• Reply MichelleP January 11, 2011 at 12:59 am

Stellar job! Very inspiring!

• Reply City Chic - Jamie January 11, 2011 at 1:03 am

so lovely to see your post here! looking forward to more! thanks for your inspiration :)

• Reply Laura Gaskill January 11, 2011 at 1:51 am

I love the project and Anna-Malin’s warm voice and home. What a fabulous idea to show both the project and how to style it/use it in your own home…I can tell this will be another favorite column, Welcome Anna-Malin!!! xo Laura

• Reply Cassie January 11, 2011 at 2:39 am

OMG, I’m in love with this. I love the mix of natural with techy. Thanks for posting.

• Reply Marie @ etincellestudio January 11, 2011 at 3:33 am

Great post Anna-Malin! I can’t believe this is your house and that this lamp is so easy to make… looks like a photo shot for some deco magazine :) Reading the above comments I think we are all pretty much looking forward to yet another great column on Decor8.
    Vive 2011!!

{xoxo from Singapore}

• Reply Beth January 11, 2011 at 4:04 am

I adore all things DIY. What a fantastic project!! Your home decor pics are very beautiful. Looking forward to seeing more. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Gosia Maj January 11, 2011 at 4:40 am

Anna-Malin, so good to see you here on decor8. Fantastic DIY, love the stark simplicity of the project. Can’t wait for more!

• Reply Sara January 11, 2011 at 5:13 am

So great!! We have a ton of cool driftwood pieces we keep collecting from Lake Erie near our home. I have them in use in various places, but was hoping to do something like this with candles…SO cool you made it a real, working, light fixture. Love it! Look forward to your future posts! :)

• Reply Michelle Donald January 11, 2011 at 5:22 am

I really enjoyed your first column Anna-malin. I really loved how you included the magazine tear sheet as an example of your inspiration but then put your own creative interpretation into personalising it. I really enjoyed how you showed it ‘in situ’ also, as it really made the results and atmosphere clear. Your home looks beautiful. Great english too! – well written with clear and easy to understand instructions. Congratulations, thankyou for sharing and I can’t wait for your next column!

• Reply yen January 11, 2011 at 8:14 am

this is so beautiful. thanks for sharing. :)

• Reply Katie - Coco Målé January 11, 2011 at 10:26 am

wow, so beautiful and unique!!! I wish I could make more stuff in our home, I have so many ideas but just don’t have the patience or the skill to implement them…

• Reply Andreia January 11, 2011 at 10:35 am

This lamp is amazing Holly! Congrats! I really love it!

• Reply ana January 11, 2011 at 11:05 am

that’s a very interesting idea. Fast & not expensive enough to make.

Why don’t you recommend frosted bulbs?

Would your next project have something to do with valentine’s day?

• Reply nancy January 11, 2011 at 3:12 pm

Very cool DIY, looks totally perfect in this room. Welcome Anna, keep them coming!

• Reply Anna January 11, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I love this!!!! great job.

• Reply Fresh Design Blog January 11, 2011 at 4:45 pm

This is a brilliant DIY craft guide, thank you!

• Reply Katie Bee January 11, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I love your attitude! “I can do this!”
    I don’t know any electricians, unfortunately. Perhaps one could use some sort of a strand of lights to improvise? It wouldn’t be as nice, but it could work.

I really love the boots:). I’m glad I’m not the only one to notice that in the middle of all the pretty interiors.

• Reply mydeco US January 11, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Just when we thought Decor8 couldn’t get any better… thank you for bringing us such loveliness from Anna-Malin. We can’t get enough do-able, beautiful, home-happy DIY projects – can’t wait to read more! x

• Reply Jake January 11, 2011 at 9:28 pm

The entire design is so unique – we love the juxtaposition of the electrical element with the natural element. You can’t go wrong whenever you bring the outdoors indoors.

• Reply Diane @ home sweet homemade January 12, 2011 at 3:28 pm

I hope you don’t mind, but I just loved this so much I reblogged, along with a link to your original post here. Just too perfect not to share. Thanks so much. :) Diane

• Reply vosgesparis January 13, 2011 at 12:24 am

I loved reading the post . looking at the pictures and what you did !
    It is funny because I had a similar project and copied some lamps of an expensive dsigner with cheap ones from my local basic store ;)

Well done my friend ;)

• Reply Sam January 13, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Yes! This is EXACTLY the look I’ve been searching for in our dining/living room. Thank you!

Sam x

• Reply Sania Pell January 13, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Hi Anna-Malin, I love that this project has involved your whole family – it makes it extra special. A great idea and lovely photographs. And your house looks beautiful!! I look forward to the next project.

Sania x

• Reply Anna January 14, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Hello Anna-Malin.

I like your lovely, Scandinavian style. So refreshing and light.
    I’m sure me and the other Decor8 readers will enjoy your ideas and beautiful pictures!

x Anna

• Reply Linda P January 16, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Great first post indeed!!

• Reply Rose Holman January 17, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Wow! That is amazing, I have been searching for a light for ages, and I tihnk this might just be it!
    I am going to follow your attitude and say “I can make that too”!

Thank you.

• Reply Mitzi Curi February 1, 2011 at 12:44 pm

What a fabulous, fun and funky DIY project! And the pictures are superb. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

• Reply Stephie Z March 8, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Your house is absolutley gorgeous. Love the lighta dn am bookmarking for future reference. I would also love to know who makes those beautiful boots???

• Reply Alex February 28, 2012 at 5:14 am

What a great cost effective way to make a tree branch ‘chandelier’. LOVE!

• Reply marousa November 15, 2013 at 11:14 pm

I LOVE IT!!!! It’s so unique!!!! Te BEST lighting I have ever seen… Congratulations for your inspiration!!!