Inspiration

Shane Powers For West Elm

January 12, 2011

If you were a fan of Blueprint magazine (2006-2007) back in the day, you most likely recall seeing art director and stylist Shane Powers and his work in each issue as editor. I loved what he did for Blueprint and after they folded, I wondered what would become of this Brooklyn-based talent.This is one of my favorite photos from his portfolio and was featured in Blueprint — everything about this room makes me happy, right down to the folding doors as mood board/room divider DIY project. If I recall correctly, the table was another DIY project, I think they used a door from a home store and covered it with light gray vinyl fabric and tacked it down with brushed gold studs around the sides to dress it up.

Shane Powers For West Elm

Today, when I heard about his collaboration with West Elm and watched his video showing how to compose four beautiful arrangements of flowers, I was so happy to see Shane again! He has designed a few lovely vessels for them and shows you how to use them in an instructional how-to video right here. Here are some of his vases for West Elm followed by a few shots from his portfolio…

Shane Powers For West Elm

Shane Powers For West Elm

Shane Powers For West Elm

Shane Powers For West Elm

Shane Powers For West Elm

Shane Powers For West Elm

What do you think? Do you like this collection? Do you like seeing WE working with artists and designers for limited edition collections? Who should they collaborate with next?

(images: west elm + shane powers)

You Might Also Like

49 Comments

• Reply patricia January 12, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Without a doubt, the top photo is the one Domino image that has stuck with me. There is so much about it that I like. I keep handy to inspire me for my work space. So… I’m not surprised to see that I love Shane’s new work. Beautiful!

Suggestion: http://www.michaelmcdowell.com/

• Reply michelle January 12, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I’m really enjoying these collaborations. It’s nice to see a company like West Elm working with independent artists instead of reproducing copies of their popular designs.

I could perch ceramics fitting well at West Elm and it would be a dream if they could work with Lindsey Adleman because then I might be able to afford one of her light fixtures.

• Reply aa January 12, 2011 at 7:19 pm

still have my blueprints for design inspiration (i recognize some reused photos) – glad to see shane back!

• Reply Heather @ REOlisticRenovation January 12, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I used to LOVE that magazine and was also sad to see it go. This is exciting! I love that they are working with people like Shane. Exciting!

• Reply Jillian January 12, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I really like what West Elm has been doing with their collaborations. That first photo from Blueprint was one of my favorites, and I have been wanting to recreate that desk for a while.

• Reply ethanollie January 12, 2011 at 7:23 pm

i think it is a fantastic way to bring original art to the mainstream consumer, it’s a win, win, win… for WE , the designer and the buyer.

• Reply miss crowland January 12, 2011 at 7:23 pm

I miss blueprint so much. I have every issue, and I am never getting rid of them! Sounds like a great collaboration.

• Reply ethanollie January 12, 2011 at 7:25 pm

i also think there is no way WE and others WON’T do this. i bet they are feeling the crunch from sites like Etsy, and they’ll do it just to compete, no doubt.

• Reply Adriana January 12, 2011 at 7:26 pm

Much missed indeed! I’m a proud owner of all issues! ;D The “downtown home office” was an inspiration for my own studio. Just loved the color scheme!

• Reply Jeanne January 12, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I like the collection and I like what West Elm is doing featuring small designers. This looks like a new trend.

• Reply Ann Marie January 12, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Funny, I just pulled out my old copies of Blueprint this past weekend to flip through them. I really wish the magazine had made it. I loved the concept.

• Reply bicocacolors January 12, 2011 at 8:10 pm

without a doubt…fantastic idea!!!!

• Reply virginia January 12, 2011 at 8:12 pm

greetings
    I would suggest cole scego. It doesn’t appear his website, http://www.colescegodesign.com has been updated in a while though I know he is currently showing work (furniture + wall hangings) at my fashion school. (stephens college) His work is amazing and according to the information in the gallery he is working on a “modern made in AMERCIA” furniture line to be released under a different name and a brick and mortar store to be called “fern and sycamore”. Also love the titles of his work such as: “sunsets in sh*t towns”, “3gallons per board ft”, “the point is there aint no point”, “a bird is a good spot for a tree” et cetera. And as a bonus he dresses quite nice. I love decor8 by the way, provides loads of inspiration for me.
    virginia

• Reply Lori Jo January 12, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Funny I should see this today…. the image of the decoupaged bureau and magazine boxes above was on the cover of the Jan/Feb 2008 issue of Blueprint which is sitting on the top of my stack of Blueprint magazines… I loved Blueprint and love to browse through old issues of mine!

• Reply kalanicut January 12, 2011 at 8:23 pm

Miss Blueprint, of course. Still remember one particular day reading it in the hair salon with my hair up in a hundred strips of tin foil feeling amazingly inspired. I still remember the beautiful dresser I stared and stared at.

I love these great workspace inspirations. I am working on a new workspace right now and I’m in need of great ideas.

As for future collaborations — uh, Holly Becker, right?! They should definitely work on a collaborate with Holly Becker.

• Reply decor8 January 12, 2011 at 8:57 pm

@Kalanicut – What a dream that would be!

• Reply kat January 12, 2011 at 8:49 pm

I Loooooooooooove that rug in the last image, do you know where it’s from?

• Reply decor8 January 12, 2011 at 8:55 pm

@Kat — Sorry I don’t.

• Reply Couture Carrie January 12, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Gorgeous post!
    I miss Blueprint!

xoxox,
    CC

• Reply Dagmarette January 12, 2011 at 9:21 pm

It is so clean and simple. I do love the freshness it has, but a little to barren for my taste! I love a bit more color.

• Reply Laura Gaskill January 12, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I LOVE the vessels, they have a kind of straight from the pottery wheel feel that really appeals to me. And oh man, I did love Blueprint and sadly I did not save a single issue! Boo!

• Reply iHanna January 12, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I just want to walk straight into these photos and LIVE there for ever. thanks for sharing Holly!

• Reply Michelle January 12, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Ooo, I love that rug!

• Reply Monica January 12, 2011 at 10:02 pm

The vases are fabulous. I think that it is great for both the designers and the customers that more companies are doing the limited edition collections or even the not so limited editions ones like the IKEA PS. The designers get great exposure and/or try something new. The customers (us) get to buy it. :)
    I second Kalanicut. You dream big Holly, so why not?

• Reply Alyssa January 12, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I like the “fish tank” one. What kind of leaf is in there?

• Reply decor8 January 12, 2011 at 10:54 pm

@Alyssa – Those are water plants.

• Reply whistlerpotpie January 12, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I loved that first image so much, I tracked down the maker of the tiny gray coat. I have it framed in a shadowbox across from our coat closet – people always want one!

• Reply elisa January 12, 2011 at 11:09 pm

the ceramic pieces are wonderful, nice to see what he’s making. interesting way to do things, definitely, collaborating like that! x

• Reply sara January 12, 2011 at 11:25 pm

Just so you know, Shane Powers never left Martha Stewart. After the magazine folded, he stayed on in various capacities, and contributes regularly to the craft blog on her site. Although he was not senior editor, he had an uncanny knack for witty word usage and double meanings. I miss the magazine, too. If you do a little digging, you can find most of the editors, stylists, designers have followed their creative passion and do collaborate with other firms. Blueprint continues to have an influence over Martha. Her style is starting to breakout of the stodgy traditional, and reflect the youthful urban chic that Blueprint represented and that we all loved.

• Reply decor8 January 13, 2011 at 12:59 pm

@Sara – Thanks for the information! Just to clarify though, it was not mentioned that he left MSLO in my text, simply that I wondered where he went after the magazine folded. Thanks so much for the update!

• Reply Alicia Bock January 12, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Oh… these make me want to get all my old Blueprints out after the kids to to bed.
    Of course, I would give anything to work with West Elm…. dreaming big as always! xoxo- A.

• Reply Luciane January 12, 2011 at 11:36 pm

I’m a virgin… ok.. maybe I was, not anymore.. yep! This is my very first time on Decor8!

I must say that’s just “ridiculous” this is my first time… I should’ve come here a long time ago, now what am I going to do? Well, maybe I should stay here for the rest oof the night, just to get to know you better… like the idea? :-)

I come from VW’s blog and I loved your post there. Thank you for that! I left a comment saying how I feel about your post.

Anyways, I’ve started my blog in September, and it’s growing so much because I’m doing what you’ve mentioned on your post… work! I spend hours every single day working on it and on my network too. It will pay back (hopefully, literally!) :-)
    If you (PLEASE!) have a minute, go take a look at my post. Let me know what you think. It would make me feel really honored. Truly.

xo

Luciane

• Reply Sarah @ Comfort and Joy January 13, 2011 at 12:35 am

How funny! I just blogged about Shane’s collaboration myself! :)

I was taken aback (in a good way!) to see West Elm collaborating with artists like this. Shane and the Etsy artists seem like a great fit, aesthetically. I particularly like this integration of handmade chic into the wares of major retailers. I think it will expose a lot of people less connected to the blogosphere to the handmade movement.

• Reply CC at Currently Chic January 13, 2011 at 1:07 am

Great post! That dresser with the bureau painted on it is to die for! It looks like it should come alive as one of the characters on Beauty and the Beast! Adorable!

• Reply simone leblanc January 13, 2011 at 1:35 am

loving the plants!

• Reply A Plum By Any Other Name January 13, 2011 at 1:36 am

I was so sad to see blueprint go. Luckily, I can still get my fix with decor8! :)

• Reply mudpuppy January 13, 2011 at 1:56 am

Isn’t it fantastic?! I am so happy to see the larger companies supporting independent artists. As ethanollie said, win-win! Thanks @patricia for the endorsement, it would be a dream come true.

• Reply karen January 13, 2011 at 3:28 am

I love the idea of West Elm collaborating with artists ans designers. There’s so much amazing untapped talent out there in the world, we need to see more of it to inspire and enlighten us.

• Reply Daughter Earth January 13, 2011 at 7:00 am

Ahh I love that dresser so much! too cute.
    those plants are also amazing.

• Reply Natalie January 13, 2011 at 7:17 am

Very nice photos, thank you for the daily inspiration (:

• Reply Lauren January 13, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Very exciting!

I love West Elm!

• Reply Lisa January 13, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Holly! You just brightened up a very dreary winter day! I loved Blueprint and still have all the issues right here on my bookshelf. Thanks so much for posting this, I’m off to check out Shane’s portfolio. Oh and I think it’s awesome when WE teams up with other designers, just super great! :)

• Reply Jordana @ White Cabana January 14, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Oh Blueprint – another mag that I miss!

• Reply Amy F January 14, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Aww, I still have this ripped out Blueprint page in my studio decor ideas folder. Love the brass tacks and those mood boards…time for some diy, maybe?

• Reply Glenda Childers January 16, 2011 at 5:00 am

In my recent move to Chicago, I just discovered West Elm. I was just there yesterday to purchase a set of yellow lacquered coasters. The perfect pick me up, for the long Chicago winter.

Fondly,
    Glenda

• Reply lisa h. January 16, 2011 at 5:36 pm

That work space in the first photo is a dream, and I adore the simple, unadorned ceramic pieces.

• Reply Sarah January 17, 2011 at 1:22 am

Thanks for introducing me to the work of Shane Powers. I adore the water plants styled in the vases, so inventive!

• Reply Angela January 18, 2011 at 11:25 pm

I love the contrast of the modern silhouettes of the vessels (and cool gray as opposed to terracotta) with the wild flowers and greenery!

• Reply Beth February 3, 2011 at 2:34 pm

it’s awesome that west elm and etsy are making nice and elevating the importance of original art in it’s many forms. i would love a chance to throw my hat in the proverbial ring but am not sure how to go about doing it.

happy snow day : )