Lighting Round-Up

Before I share my favorite lighting with you, I must confess upfront that I realize most of these lights are white. I’m not sure whether I should apologize for this in advance but the truth is, I really like white pendants and pretty chandeliers with crystals (as long as they are vintage and not overly ornate), and I love clean and modern lighting that isn’t fussy or distracting from the overall decor too much. I’ve been trying to cross over to the dark side (ha ha) and grow to love bold, colorful lighting but I just can’t seem to do it. I usually go back to white, though black also works. I’m not exactly sure why I love white lights so much but you know, I just do and that is really my fancy explanation. I’m not sure if white lighting catches your eye but perhaps after this post I’ll make a white light lover out of you, too! Here’s my collection of lights…

Fave Lighting Round Up

The Patrick Townsend Orbit chandelier is my #1 favorite light in the world (top right and bottom left) I am dying to own this lamp (ever since it was released, I am sure Patrick recalls my emails!) but it’s not being made for the EU yet. Oh Patrick, please consider it! Also shown: Bertjan Pot Not Random light (lower right), Luncheonette pendant lamp from Anthropologie (upper left).

Fave Lighting Round Up

Here is dream light #2, this one is the 6-globe Branching Bubble by Lindsey Adelman (top). Umbu lighting on Etsy is rad and affordable.

Fave Lighting Round Up

Ahhhh, the Paper Chandelier by Moooi (my ultimate dream light for my entryway). Another nice pendant is the Moooi Random light.

Fave Lighting Round Up

Cargo Pendant (top left), a cluster light by Impressionen (bottom) and Lolita by Moooi (top right).

Fave Lighting Round Up

Modernica Bubble lights in any shape or size, though my favorite is the Cigar CC.

Fave Lighting Round Up

Tine K Lamp (top left) Solano by Zia Priven (top right), hand wrought chandelier from ABC Home (bottom right) and the Foscarini Cage pendant light for Diesel (bottom right, though the photo depresses me a bit).

Fave Lighting Round Up

Rie Elise Larsen pendants with fabric cords (a big trend here at the moment is fabric cords in multiple covers) and patterned accordion shades. Her white table lamp too (not shown, which I have).

Fave Lighting Round Up

Le Klint pendant 101 (top left), Teapot lights from Anthropologie (top right + bottom left) and the Relief Drip light from Jonathan Adler. While we’re at it, any light by Jonathan Adler makes me happy. I have the Giraffe lamp (not shown above) but need to get him rewired since he doesn’t work over here. I also need a new shade because mine was crushed when shipped over by my moving company. :( Eventually the giraffe will be up and running again, though! I miss him… Speaking of animal lights…

Fave Lighting Round Up

Miffy and a Rabbit Light — I have it on the floor in my office and yes I’m aware I don’t have children. It’s fun to have a bun bun!

dd

Cornet Pendant Lamp by Tse & Tse (bottom right), Bulb by Sofie Refer (top right). MHY by Muuto (top right) and the Acquamiki Suspension lamp by Michele De Lucchi (bottom left).

I have many others that I love but this is a great snapshot of some of my favorites. Plus,  in addition to all of these new lights I also LOVE  lighting from the mid century and also chandeliers from 1920′s France. I have a two chandeliers in my home, both are French from the 20′s and I love them. I currently have a vintage floor lamp in mint green from the 50s and a 50s table lamp as well. I also like the massive paper globes that you get for a few dollars at IKEA, I see them in some of the smartest rooms and they always look great. The best look is to have several on the ceiling in a three season porch, it looks lovely! I also love twinkle lights (also called fairy lights) in big, clear vases displayed around the house, but only one or two, not in every room. I like natural wood lighting too — the Muuto Wood lamp sits proudly on my desk. My lighting taste is a bit eclectic and I love circles so I tend to love globes. I also like square or rectangular shapes as long as they have somewhat of a rounded detail on top. I like quirky lighting — especially cups and teapots but also bird cages. I love ANIMALS as lights. Giraffes, elephants, rabbits, dogs, foo dogs, owls…

What about you? What do YOU like when it comes to lighting?

(images: linked to their sources above.)

Posted by decor8 in lighting on January 14, 2011

1. michelle commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 5:03pm

The 6-globe Branching Bubble by Lindsey Adelman is my dream light too. It’s definitely on my wish light for when I’m wildly successful and can afford to invest in such spectacular light – or, you know, when I win the lottery. :)
    michelle´s last blog post ..EmersonMade in The Nest Magazine

2. decor8 commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 5:04pm

@Michelle – Me too. I’m dreaming along with ya…

3. OrangeFarmhouse - Maike commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 5:05pm

I love modern lamps, but also nice and cozy lamps like the white owl lamp in my daughters room and our Muuto E27 lamps.
    OrangeFarmhouse – Maike´s last blog post ..Annebeestje – Anneke van de Langkruis

4. Claudia@stonehouselove commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 5:07pm

oh my, help, wait…have so many clients needing special lighting…thanks holly!
    Claudia@stonehouselove´s last blog post ..jamie beck

5. jenn commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 5:21pm

What a great round up! So many cool lights … and I never realized how much I love Moooi! Definitely checking them out further.
    jenn´s last blog post ..create an organized kitchen

6. Ele commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 5:28pm

Fantastic round-up! I actually think it works well that they’re mainly in white, whether that’s your style or not. It means we’re looking at the forms here, rather than being influenced by colour.

Lighting is so important to get right- even a room designed on a shoestring can look like a million bucks if it’s lit well. Personally I love cluster lights (especially UK designer Kathleen Hills’), vintage enamel pendants and big, globular shapes.
    Ele´s last blog post ..The Good Gift- Quinoa and Lentil Stew

7. Coco commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 5:33pm

aah i got the Rabbit light too (not miffy)! I think its adorable. I bought it for my children but its in the living room and probably will stay there untill they are all grown ups because i love it! ;)

8. Sheri@Make It Pop! commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 5:34pm

I LOVE the Orbit Chandelier! I saved it to use in a Design Board. Thanks so much for the collection of FAB lighting!
    Sheri
    Sheri@Make It Pop!´s last blog post ..Christopher Guy – Whimsical Luxury

9. sarah commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 5:49pm

I am loving the Miffy light! That is too cute. I like what you said about your bunny light on the floor, I can imagine Miffy on the floor too acting as a night light of sorts. But for a more “grown up” choice I really like the Foscarini cage lamp.
    sarah´s last blog post ..Lacy Little Things

10. Rocio Rincon commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 6:12pm

Oh, how adorable the bunny light is! I love it!!!!Thks for sharing!
    Rocio Rincon´s last blog post ..Super Chic Office Supplies

11. Shanon{MyFineGarden} commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 6:16pm

I think so many of these are really fab, with my favorite being the Cornet Pendant. And hey, you really can’t go wrong with white lighting. It will go anywhere and you’ll have it forever.
    Shanon{MyFineGarden}´s last blog post ..Lovey Dovey

12. Alyssa commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 6:18pm

I love the Moooi random light!

13. Jutta commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 6:30pm

Haha, I have the rabbit lamp too, but no children… I love love love those tea pot lamps, would be great to have a bunch of them over our kitchen table. But my husband likes the lamp we have at the moment so much he won’t listen to any of my suggestions! (It’s a nice lamp, I chose it myself, but I wouldn’t mind changing thigs around every once in a while :)
    Jutta´s last blog post ..Press- Indoor and Kaleva

14. Winter commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 7:23pm

Thank you for this post! Great links-I have a thing for the modernica bubble lights- its like an upside down bouquet. I like the softness of the light.

15. Renee commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 7:24pm

Dear Holly,

Love your blog! Lighting is so much fun…a lamp or chadelier can be boring or it can be brilliant! I am amazed by the ongoing creativity of contemporary lighting design…it never ends!

16. Iris commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 8:04pm

I believe I have quite an eclectic taste too. I have the Random Light, cristal chandeliers, Tolomeo lamps, a lace lamp (see here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/54015225@N08/5204517147/
    ) and several other design and vintage lamps in my house. I love a mix of old and new, bright and dimmed. Light is essential for me; I get kind of depressed in a dark environment. So let the light shine!
    Iris´s last blog post ..Pia Ulin

17. mijk commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 8:07pm

I love leitmotviv for lamps (http://www.leitmotiv-products.com). I just can’t afford the big designs and Leitmotiv is fun and clever and cheap no affordable sounds much beter….They change their collection often so you need to snap it up when youreally want something (I missed out on the flocked fairytale lamps and I have regrets!
    mijk´s last blog post ..I love this

18. Katie Truelove commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 8:38pm

I love: Branching Bubble, Lolita, Solano, Bulb…and of course Miffy is too cute:)
    Katie Truelove´s last blog post ..Travel Adventures- Iguazu Falls

19. marie commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 8:46pm

You can definitely get the Modernica Bubble lights in EU.
    At least, they have them in Paris.

20. PSbyDila commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 9:26pm

Great post! I love the cluster light by impressionen.
    PSbyDila´s last blog post ..Online shopping- Modekungen

21. Mikkili.com commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 9:41pm

Thanks for sharing this post with us. I love the Miffy. And of course very proudy of the fact that Miffy is a Dutch creation.

22. melinda commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 9:59pm

I love the bun lamp, just wish it wasn’t so pricey! The hanging tea pots are neat, too.

23. Astrid commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 10:03pm

Holly, you’ll get the Modernica Lamps here:

They are based in Berlin and have a great shop.

24. Éva Csomós commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 11:05pm

Ich liebe Licht, ich liebe Lampen!
    Ein wundervoller Post……voller Licht! Éva

25. julie commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 11:23pm

The Nelson bubble lights are my fave. Fave! I’m waiting for the right house to put one in, then it will be extra special. For this home we bought white glass pendants in the oval ufo-ish shape because they reminded us of the nelson bubbles. I am also drawn to white lights and I really love white powdercoat (white painted metal) for some reason which is why I think I like the orbit chandelier.
    julie´s last blog post ..checking in

26. Heather @ REOlisticRenovation commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 11:27pm

So many beautiful inspired lighting options here! What fun to browse!

27. decor8 commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 11:28pm

@Astrid – NO WAY! You made me so happy with your tip, thank you!

28. decor8 commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 11:29pm

@Melinda – It’s funny, that lamp is a different price in the EU than in the UK or AUS. Here in Hannover I got mine for around 40- Euros at a toy shop around the corner from me.

29. decor8 commented
    January 14th, 2011 at 11:29pm

@Milkkili – Yes indeed – I see her every time I’m at the Amsterdam airport. :)

30. Connie Singer commented
    January 15th, 2011 at 1:05am

We have a classic Louis Poulsen 1926 spiral design white painted metal pendant fixture (PH 4/3). Classic danish modern. Love the down light and the white metal works with a mix of decors. louispoulsen.com, products can be purchased at several online sources, http://www.louispoulsen.com/en-us/Product/Pendants/PH%204_3%20Pendant.aspx

31. Haylee commented
    January 15th, 2011 at 2:31am

How incredible are those teacup lights from Anthropologie! I swear that place will never cease to amaze me.

32. my name is ish commented
    January 15th, 2011 at 2:37am

I’m presently looking for an affordable triple-arm floor lamp. The Conran Shop has one that’s okay, but it’s way out of my budget. Any suggestions?
    my name is ish´s last blog post ..merry xmas!

33. Franziska San Pedro commented
    January 15th, 2011 at 3:12am

These are stunning lamps! When it comes to light, I like it light, white and bright :-)
    Paper is definitely my favorite texture. The Moooi Random lamp is the one that caught my attention, it’s almost perfect,

Franziska

34. Traveling Mama commented
    January 15th, 2011 at 9:21am

I have been eying the mushroom lamp, which is almost always sitting next to the bunny. I don’t think it is very expensive here either. I want it for my boys’ room, but honestly I think I have selfish motives! I also love the lights by Muuto. I am infatuated with these pendants by muuto too: http://www.illumsbolighus.dk/product_detail.asp?mode=master&maID=26362&listID=
    Now I just need to think of a place to put one…. or two or three!
    Traveling Mama´s last blog post ..greek bread

35. juliette commented
    January 15th, 2011 at 12:49pm

The teapot lights are adorable! If I didn’t love my jam jar lights so much I’d totally be wanting the teapot lights!

I am a white lamp fan for sure; they go with everything and usually work well in any room. However, those little colored shades at the bottom are something I would totally use to highlight a certain corner or cluster in a half bath.
    juliette´s last blog post ..Crafty Christmas Recap

36. Loretta Fontaine (APPLESandRUBIES) commented
    January 15th, 2011 at 3:37pm

Holly- My friend put up Ikea’s IKEA PS MASKROS
    Pendant lamp,
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90147465, in her new art studio and I am smitten.

It’s white. It’s a globe. Amazingly it’s less than $100.

It casts beautiful floral shadows throughout the room – which could be a plus or could be a minus!

Loretta

37. Chuzai Living commented
    January 15th, 2011 at 5:52pm

You always have a great set of images for the readers to enjoy!! I love learning that you have a Miffy floor lamp in your office! That’s cool!! Miffy has always been very popular in Japan. I love it, too!! I love lamps. I am in search for another lamp in our living room. We live overseas for my husband’s job and because we have the live with the furniture provided by his office, I find lamps very important to create the ambience and add a personal touch. Thanks for the post! Kaho
    Chuzai Living´s last blog post ..Friday Finds ☆ Restaurants in Saigon-Ho Chi Minh City

38. Nydia commented
    January 15th, 2011 at 6:30pm

Could not help noticing that every single one of the light fixtures you showed are incandescent. I am a lighting designer and I always find it impossible to believe that people consciously would choose compact fluorescent sources over incandescent. I know that we are all told that compact fluorescent lamps are eco friendly and all, but believe me they are not. You would not believe how much toxic crap they contain. Anywhoo I will now get off the soap box. I hate sounding preachy, but if any of you want to know more about the whole compact fluorescent and incandescent light conundrum let me know.

I love your lighting selection Holly. All of these would be on my list too because they are elegant and understated. The function of lighting is to harmonize with its surroundings, not overwhelm them and that is exactly what all of these fixtures can accomplish. Thank you for sharing them with us.
    Nydia´s last blog post ..Music Sunday – The XX

39. saigon commented
    January 15th, 2011 at 9:28pm

i cant really name my favourites. mostly know which to love and chose if i see and feel one.
    white is no favourite of mine though, but is really useful, because it can fit any other colour
    saigon´s last blog post ..Dešifriranje

40. Michelli commented
    January 15th, 2011 at 10:30pm

Adoro esse site!!! Suas fotos são inspiradoras, tudo é muito lindo!! Parabéns

41. kim johnson commented
    January 15th, 2011 at 11:22pm

I too love the Miffy lamp! I want one for my office! ;)
    kim johnson´s last blog post ..Eco-Friendly Jewelry from Items You Wouldnt Expect!

42. Raina Kattelson commented
    January 15th, 2011 at 11:29pm

You covered just about all my fave lights -Some I have, and some I have been coveting for a while. We have the Moooi Random light , the Tse Tse Cornet in the clip version. Tthe Orbit would be perfect for our bedroom now that it is a lovely charcoal gray. I’ve been thinking about making one of the Lindsay Adelman lights if only I could figure out where to put it.
    I just fell in love with this light the other day- http://bit.ly/hgN2LZ
    And this Droog light is fab- http://bit.ly/fvStX0
    and I would do just about anything for this Tord Boontje light-http://bit.ly/fIiAwE
    Raina Kattelson´s last blog post ..Keep Calm

43. decor8 commented
    January 16th, 2011 at 12:26am

@Chuzai Living – I don’t have Miffy, I have the other rabbit next to it. Sorry if my text was confusing. But I love Miffy too! :)

44. Andreia commented
    January 16th, 2011 at 3:18am

My favourites are round shapes for lamps and at home we have white ceiling lamps in all rooms.

My favourite table lamps are the ones designed by Philippe Starck: Archimoon + Miss K T + Romeo.

I also love eco design lamps by Bleu Nature like these ones: http://www.bleunature.com/fr/luminaires-1/lampes_a_poser-12/lampe_tupiq-1030-details.html and http://www.bleunature.com/fr/new_design_hiver_1011-5/luminaires-38/lampe_timi-1662-details.html

45. Glenda Childers commented
    January 16th, 2011 at 4:53am

I don’t think I would actually like this in my home, but the teapot light fixture, really made me smile.

Fondly,
    Glenda
    Glenda Childers´s last blog post ..50 things to do this winter while we await spring

46. Giselle commented
    January 16th, 2011 at 9:00am

I’m jumping on the Miffy bandwagon too. Great childhood memories, great simple illustrations by Dick Bruna. Kids or no kids, why not? At the moment I’m particularly taken by a quirky take on Australiana (being an Aussie I guess helps) and I have a fabulous fine bone china COCKATOO lamp. Love it! It’s by Have You Met Miss Jones in case anyone is interested.

47. Frida at Trendenser.se commented
    January 16th, 2011 at 4:30pm

I wrote about your blog today, linking to my 5 favouriteblogs- Hope it was OK!
    Frida at Trendenser.se´s last blog post ..Feeling blue

48. Jordana @ White Cabana commented
    January 16th, 2011 at 7:59pm

I appreciate this post on so many levels!
    1. The Patrick Townsend orbit light is beyond fantastic! I’ve never seen it before and I’m now adding it to my “when I grow up I want this” list. It’s amazing!
    2. White, white, white. Thank you! I know you didn’t write this post for me exactly but it still kind of feels that way. I just adore all the focus on white!
    3. Oh my – the variety! You have collected a beautiful assortment of images representing lighting of all shapes, sizes…and textures!
    Thanks for shining some happy light on my day!
    -Jordana
    Jordana @ White Cabana´s last blog post ..Stylish Blogger Award

49. decor8 commented
    January 16th, 2011 at 9:17pm

@Frida – Hej Frida… tack så mycket! :)

50. Catherine commented
    January 16th, 2011 at 9:46pm

How could I not love lighting. Light is a fixed variable in a room, however, when it’s not there…it can truly alter the feel of a room.
    Catherine´s last blog post ..Featured Blogger- Kandee Johnson

51. Nadja commented
    January 16th, 2011 at 11:35pm

Oh this post comes with perfect timing, as I was browsing Ebay today and dreaming about the new lampshade for my work space. I’m so in love with nelson’s bubble lamps and envy all the americans, who actually have a chance to stumble upon one at the flea market!
    Nadja´s last blog post ..April diy – wir basteln uns einen April

52. lisa commented
    January 17th, 2011 at 1:04am

If you need a new shade for your giraffe call or go to meteorlights.com for a handmade shade- you choose color, size and shape! AND he ships to Europe!
    Great article thanks!!!

53. Sally commented
    January 17th, 2011 at 2:37am

I’m in love with those bunny lamps. So cute – So fun!

54. Kelley MacDonald commented
    January 17th, 2011 at 4:54am

Thanks for this post – I love color, too, but I so often gravitate to white. Cars, coats, etc… and lights! Beautiful!
    Kelley MacDonald´s last blog post ..Now For Something Completely Different

55. ARTiculateART commented
    January 17th, 2011 at 8:33am

Love the Solano and the Bulb lighting fixtures! It’s too bad your’s was broken during the move (hate when that happens) but it’s reason to get a new and lovely one like the ones you have posted!
    ARTiculateART´s last blog post ..Banking in Banquettes!

56. D'Homez commented
    January 17th, 2011 at 9:08am

Love all the lights. Have so many good options to light your home. Each of them would give a different look and feel to your home.

57. decor8 commented
    January 17th, 2011 at 11:05am

@Nadja – Don’t envy Americans, trust me, there is no chance we’d run into a Nelson Bubble Lamp at a flea market without a huge price tag on it!

58. michelle chafin commented
    January 17th, 2011 at 12:00pm

As I am currently looking for lights for our home I thank you for this post. It is great to see a different selection than what I see in the shops over here.
    Another fantastic post:)
    michelle chafin´s last blog post ..Love Donna Hay – Add Style to your kitchen

59. ana commented
    January 17th, 2011 at 1:30pm

I’m a bit like you I guess, ecletic but with a trend for white or industrial. I loved the Teapot lights from Anthropologie that you mentioned, but I would love to see how they look turned on inside a room. The pic on Anthropologie shop only shows the teapot.

I moved recently to a new apartment & I’ve been collecting a material for a few years now with the intention of making a big chandelier. I intend to do it this year. I’ll send you the pictures after it’s finished so you can give me your opinion.

60. elizabeth@shoptwig commented
    January 17th, 2011 at 5:44pm

What an awesome round up! Some of my favorites are on here. We are getting ready to re-do my teenage/college years home for my family to live so lighting is on the list of things to get.

61. sherron francis commented
    January 17th, 2011 at 7:48pm

The is the best selection of lighting I have ever seen! Wonderful!
    Sherron

62. SoFiliumm commented
    January 18th, 2011 at 9:23pm

What a great lighting selection! Got so inspired that I had to go check out a few of the designers further. Especially Lindsay Adelman really caught my attention. Had to go blog about her myself and show more of her great collection.

63. Loretta Fontaine commented
    January 30th, 2011 at 9:32pm

Holly – I posted a photo of the Maskros lamp at ArtSmarts (my friend’s place) on my blog!

Best, Loretta

64. Sarah commented
    March 3rd, 2011 at 11:08pm

I love white lighting too. For some reason it always seems more fresh, clean and sophisticated. I love the Tine K Lamp; simply beautiful.

65. Guy@JustInteriors commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 3:52pm

Holly, these selections are feats of technical and artistic wizardry, they would be charming additions to any room, transforming interiors with the flick of a switch. In this day and age it seems novelty is key when it comes to lighting: more often design-conscious home-owners are increasingly applying electric light like paint. It seems these designers are exploring the concept of lights as sculptures rather than just functional sources of illumination. We really are spoiled for choice.

66. sonneman commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 11:59am

I love all of the lighting and suggest to sonneman lighting also….

67. Joanna commented
    June 14th, 2011 at 7:35am

I love all these lighting fixtures, I think they are adorable! White is absolutely perfect for lights! Thanks for posting.
    Joanna´s last blog post ..Unconventional Bedroom Lighting

68. Sharleen commented
    September 20th, 2011 at 9:13pm

I love the moooi paper chandelier! simple and stunning!

69. katlyn commented
    October 16th, 2011 at 10:09pm

It is sad that we are moving to CFL’s, designers are going to have to work really hard to find something that looks creative with those ugly twisted florescent bulbs. Anything that contains the bulb will work, but those insane ceiling lights with multiple branches, like a model of an element in a science lab, would never work. I am all for Modern contemporary, but I think we should concentrate on a more fluid form.