Stylist Rebecca Newport

January 17, 2011

I love the idea of painted spoons on display and found these by stylist Rebecca Newport and thought I’d show you what I’m referring to. I’ve noticed painted spoons (in chalky matte paint) a few times in magazines lately and wonder if this is the beginning of a new styling trend in photography? How about painted bowls too? If so, great, because there is a lot you can do with this idea!

Stylist Rebecca Newport

Stylist Rebecca Newport

Stylist Rebecca Newport

Stylist Rebecca Newport

Rebecca Newport is a still life, food, interiors and props stylist in the UK who has a textiles degree from the Chelsea College of Art and Design and most recently worked as a buyer at Marks & Spencer before turning her attention to photography.

Lovely work, Rebecca and best of luck with your new career as a stylist– you are clearly very talented! :)

(images: ania warzkowicz)

You Might Also Like

• Reply laura trevey January 17, 2011 at 11:19 pm

love the soft and pastel colors…

• Reply Emma January 17, 2011 at 11:23 pm

awesome! sweet and sophisticated, I love that dark purply grey color. Seems like a great idea for some awkwardly colored, but super cool textured vintage bowls I like to pick up at flea markets. Definitely trying it!

• Reply Christa Norvell January 17, 2011 at 11:37 pm

I love this idea! You could make a great piece of wall art. Paint some spoons, affix them to a canvas, a tray, whatever your heart desires, and hang on a wall. You could even do them in seasonal colors…..very clever!

• Reply decor8 January 18, 2011 at 1:14 am

@Christa — I was thinking the same thing. White spoons against black would look amazing, don’t you think? Or if one is going for something less graphic, against nubby Belgium linen. :)

• Reply sarah January 17, 2011 at 11:47 pm

very cute idea! love those colors, they make me wish for spring… :)

• Reply Dani January 18, 2011 at 12:18 am

What type of paint do you think that is? Is it an actual chalkboard paint, or just the matte-finish paint you can get in the store? Looks gorgeous, tho, especially the black pieces!

• Reply Melissa January 18, 2011 at 12:36 am

Love the pastel coloured spoons and the arrangement of them for the photos is fantastic!

• Reply Kylie Loy January 18, 2011 at 12:51 am

Wow these are beautiful. I actually have some old bowls & things at home that I was going to toss out. Not anymore!! Just need to find the right paint to do this. Thanks x

• Reply janis - pinecone camp January 18, 2011 at 1:13 am

I do love this look and must admit I’ve painted a few spoons in my time! Love it the bowls too!

• Reply phoenix January 18, 2011 at 3:42 am

So pretty!! Her spoons remind me of pastel-y macaroons. :)

• Reply belinda January 18, 2011 at 5:06 am

ooh love. I’ve painted bowls, vases and bottles before but never spoons. am stealing this idea! x

• Reply Vanessa Elizabeth @ Ruffled Rose January 18, 2011 at 5:38 am

Beautiful colours and photographs! I would totally take prints of those for my home :)

• Reply Ele January 18, 2011 at 8:03 am

Love this trend. I remember seeing this image in Living etc last year and thinking that it was such a creative way to show a new paint range. I love the idea of a “bouquet” of painted spoons in a specific colour story, in a vase or pretty bowl… I’m thinking milk glass because the white would make the colours really pop!

• Reply Kiti January 18, 2011 at 8:30 am

it’s a great idea! i did it the same with the bottles, you have to tap the paint inside the bottle and than shake it and let it dry:)

• Reply tinajo January 18, 2011 at 8:55 am

I love these, lovely and faded colors! :-)

• Reply caro January 18, 2011 at 9:00 am

Yes, this a great idea and I think a new trend is born! I have seen painted spoons at the Moma Online Store – so beautiful …

• Reply The Serendipity January 18, 2011 at 10:39 am

Lovely, delightful colors! Definitely brightens up this super gray winter day..

• Reply Andreia January 18, 2011 at 10:54 am

Great idea! Love the pastel tones! May be I’ll implement some of your ideas (thank you Christa and Holly) and make something funny to the dinning space at our kitchen.

• Reply selina lake January 18, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Well Done Rebecca, lovely pics X

• Reply Anna January 18, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Very pretty and serene looking. Reminds me a lot of Frank Vissers work for IJM Studio.

I think it would be cool to tape off one stripe on the spoon before painting, so you’ll see a peek of the original.

• Reply decor8 January 18, 2011 at 3:19 pm

@Anna that is such a cool idea!

• Reply ana January 18, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I love the painted spoons. The 2nd & 3rd photos are gorgeous.

• Reply Ruth January 18, 2011 at 2:52 pm

Very strange idea to paint spoons…Not to my taste at all, though the colors are nice!

• Reply Steph January 18, 2011 at 3:29 pm

I’ve had this old and rather ugly set of spoons and silverware lying around in my cupboard for a while now – I was going to give it away in a curbside box in front of my house, but these look so cute, I am so keeping them and stealing this idea! :)

• Reply Luciane at January 18, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Simplicity is always “in”! :-)

• Reply Lesley De Matos January 18, 2011 at 4:29 pm

These are beautiful, such lovely colours, roll on spring. Check out Rebecca’s blog, she combines colour and detail in a very modern way – very viewable!!

• Reply Heather @ REOlisticRenovation January 18, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I love this idea to make over those vintage bowls I have that just don’t quite fit in our new house. I think I might try this one. I really like the idea of having a shelf of these.

• Reply Leigha January 18, 2011 at 5:13 pm

I also love the idea of a striped spoon Anna. Oh, the allure of paint!

Caroline Swift has a collection of matte bone china spoons that are to die for.

And her Aubergine Glass Bubbles are gorgeous, too.

Off to check out Rebecca Newport’s portfolio (I’m certain it’s stunning).

Thanks for all the inspiration Holly.

• Reply Rebecca Newport January 18, 2011 at 10:04 pm

oh my! Thanks everyone for your lovely comments and thankyou Holly :) I am so happy that I have inspired some of you with this idea! and wall art! What a fab idea!

For those of you asking it was just a matt emulsion paint used for the purpose of the shoot. There was many hours of mixing colours and repainting layers to get the right effect (I am a colour addict!).

Rebecca :)

• Reply Deborah Wall January 18, 2011 at 11:30 pm

I love the spoon-a-licious action and the fact that anything can be art. I’m inspired to digg through the cutlery draw and see what I can create – thanks for the imagination kickstart.

• Reply Tracey January 19, 2011 at 12:25 am

Oh I adore those spoons, I could imagine a row of different shapes all in one colour mounted in the kitchen or dining area.

• Reply Anna January 19, 2011 at 11:46 am

Thanks so much Holly and Leigha!

• Reply michelle millard March 27, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint is great at sticking to spoons and almost everything! Loving your colours