Decorating Tips

20 Inspiring Corners of Home

February 11, 2011

Hello everyone, how are you today? First of all, Happy Friday to you! Do you have plans for the weekend? I have a few project deadlines so I’ll be working straight through until Monday but I enjoy what I’m up to so it’s all good. Work doesn’t feel like work to me, it’s part of my life, so I “work” most weekends but it is more like living and breathing, not hard labor. I feel fortunate because my life wasn’t always like this, work once felt VERY MUCH like work to me – and it went on like that for nearly 10 years but fortunately I pulled the plug and said, “Enough!”. You must relate on some level to being fed up with something, you have to walk away and do something else. So! Onto the first post for today. I thought that to inspire and motivate you to work on some projects of your own this weekend that I’d share 20 beautiful photos that show corners of various homes that you may be able to use as a jumping off point to begin a project of your own. Please click on all of the links below to visit the various sources and to enjoy even more inspiration.

20 Inspiring Corners of Home

1| Martha Stewart Weddings – I never tire of plates on walls and MS Weddings always has the best way to show the latest china patterns | 2 Design Shimmer – Skulls as jewelry hooks, oh yes! This is one of many beautiful photos found on this delightful blog.| 3 yvetteinufio – Her photos are always so pretty, I like the angle in which she photographed this chair but even more, how pretty to simply stack some throws and call that “decorating” — even if for a few days, this is a pretty look that you could do in a bedroom or kid’s room. | 4 Debee Campos – This lady is a freelance graphic designer and artist and her photos never fail to inspire me.

Remember, you don’t have to decorate an entire room, you can update a corner, bake some cupcakes and set your table extra special, style a bunch of fresh flowers and photograph them for your blog… You can turn what inspires you into a project of any size really — it comes down to how much energy, time and money you have in the end, doesn’t it?

I find that you can re-purpose so much in the home by moving things from one room to another, searching your attic or basement for what you may have packed away for future use, even ask your children to get involved by making something for you to display in another part of the home. Just have fun and let yourself go – it’s your home, do what makes YOU happy. I’ve been collecting these images below for a few weeks, I hope that you like them.

20 Inspiring Corners of Home

5 Martha Stewart Weddings – A wedding magazine in the states that most of us are addicted to, but not just for the newly engaged because it it is packed with inspiration that you can apply to home decorating projects, too. | 6 Martha Stewart Weddings – I like the colors in this photo of wedding rings + bands, I find it a gorgeous palette but also a pretty way to arrange things and shoot them from above. Could be a nice idea for a product shot you’re working on, perhaps? | 7 This Neck of the Woods, a lovely etsy shop based in Germany. | 8 Hollister Hovey – A very cool blog with lots of moody, dark colors and vintage finds. Lovely.

I love the idea of painting a wall with chalkboard paint and then installing a floating shelf, or two, on the wall as shown above with those gorgeous old cameras. Tracing the outline of the objects on the shelf, you can make a fun + quirky display that would be a real conversation piece in your home. Tea tins as flower holders are always a hit, just make sure you place a small glass inside and put the water and flowers in the glass, then inside of the tea tin as tins do not hold water and your tablecloth will be soaked within minutes!

20 Inspiring Corners of Home

9 Brigitte magazine – A German fashion magazine that has lovely interiors featured too. Oh and decor8 is mentioned in their current issue, yay! | 10 Remodelaholic – A fantastic blog with plenty of interiors eye candy | 11 Andreas Krufczik – A Berlin-based photographer who shoots interiors | 12 Remodelaholic – Again, a fab blog you’ll want to check out, especially if you love French Country charm.

I love the idea of using felted flowers, silk flowers, flowers made out of fabric… And pinning them to a lampshade for a bit of a zing. It’s simple and very pretty. I also think that putting an empty frame on your wall with images (perhaps old photos or art) in and around it can make a real statement. It’s a fabulous decorating idea and would be a lot of fun to do.

20 Inspiring Corners of Home

13 Emma Cassi – A stylist and jewelry designer that I have a mild obsession with. | 14 Stella Nicolaisen A stylist whom I adore. | 15 Holly Becker – Well, that’s me and this photo shows the top of a cabinet in my living room with some of my favorite things. | 16 Holly Becker – Yes me again, this time showing the top of my dresser and the quirky way I arrange my jewelry because if it’s not out on display, I forget what I own and don’t wear it!

I’m a very casual decorator. I’m a bit quirky, eclectic, romantic, and I mix old and new and have done so since I was a kid. I think many of us love to collect things and eventually, these collections pile up and then one is faced with the challenge of displaying collections in interesting ways so that a room doesn’t look like a junk shop. In these photos, the bottom two are in my own home, you can see how casual decorating isn’t fussy or perfect but it does appear as though some thought went into it. It’s a careful balance to get this right but I find that practice and allowing your sense to guide you, you can create a lovely nook in your home that is authentically you.

20 Inspiring Corners of Home

17 Tartelette A truly beautiful cooking blog you must see. | 18 Skona Hem – A Swedish interiors magazine that you can also enjoy online. |19 Unknown source (if you know who took this photo and or styled it please tell me so I may update with a link) | 20 Tartelette

I think everyone secretly wants to do wild things to their staircase, though we often don’t because it’s a terrifying thought to spend the time and money on a staircase reno only to find that you hate it once it’s finished! What to do? I suggest photographing your staircase in natural light and then use Photoshop or ask a graphic designer friend, to draft up some “samples” of your ideas in action. Another decorating idea that is fun to do is to simply style the top of a cabinet. Stand back and access your work. Photograph it and look at your cabinet on the computer, often photos reveal things that we need to edit about our work. Go back and rework the cabinet again until it feels right.

I also believe, strongly in fact, that simple pleasures — like baking or even if you don’t bake, hitting a bakery and bringing lovely things home to enjoy with your family creates a good mood in the home. Everyone loves to eat! And if you take the time to set the table and use your best plates and napkins, you may even want to photograph your treats and put the photos on your blog so you can save your inspiring moments and share them with your readers to motivate them to share time around the table with their family, too.

Do you spot anything that you are instantly connecting to? Why? What about it speaks to you? What can you try at home?

(images linked to their sources above.)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Luciane at February 11, 2011 at 3:02 pm

You’ve said, you’ve done a perfect post! Home… that’s why we’re here, to make of our house a real home, where not only beautiful items are, but also (and most importantly) where our memories are created.

Have a great weekend!

• Reply Carole February 11, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Hi Holly, I love this post. I feel inspired to go home and re-arrange all of my little knick knacks and yes, get my camera out. If only I wasn’t at work!
    I think it’s important to move things round regularly because you stop seeing, and appreciating after a while, the things that you have.
    Guess what I’ll be doing this weekend. :-) x

• Reply Andreia February 11, 2011 at 3:13 pm

Well I loved the detail on image number 10. I’m planning to do some Valentine’s paper garlands with my children this weekend.

• Reply Rhonda February 11, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Just beautiful ideas here and something for everyone! I’m pretty sure the uncredited photo in the second group is from This Neck of the Woods on Etsy, out of Germany. I didn’t know where to comment so that you would see it?
    Anyway, thank you for the inspiration! Happy weekend!

• Reply decor8 February 11, 2011 at 4:00 pm

@Rhonda, THANK YOU – you are right. I just updated the post with a link to their store. THANKS AGAIN.

• Reply Valentina February 11, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Wow wonderfull!!! this blog is very very beautifull, a creative breathful (sorry for my horrible english!!!).

• Reply Melissa Hanmer February 11, 2011 at 3:25 pm

#11 is my fav. This is so appealing to me. I love the movement, can’t turn my eyes away! Thanks for these inspiring finds :)

• Reply Shereen February 11, 2011 at 3:40 pm

Hi Holly, This weekend I will also be working hard as I am getting my home ready for a photoshoot…by my real estate agent that is. We are selling our little home and will be busy painting baseboards, de-cluttering and packing up. I must say while I am really excited to start looking for a new home and decorate again, I feel a little sad. It’s amazing how much time and energy and fun I put into making our home look and feel the way I wanted (with tonnes of help from your blog by the way), and now I am forced to make it look kind of boring in order to attract more buyers. The whole point in my decorating style was to look different! It’s funny really. In the end I am ready to do whatever it takes to sell and make a good profit on my investment, but it would be really interesting to read a post by you on “home staging”. For example, I will for sure get rid of personal photos and knick-knacks etc, but what about my cool framed series of concert posters? What about my beautiful wall decals? Should I remove them in fear that they may deter a buyer? Wouldn’t a potential buyer be excited to see new ideas? What are your thoughts on this?

• Reply decor8 February 11, 2011 at 3:58 pm

@Shereen – I would remove wall decals, concert photos, anything too bright or quirky — keep everything very neutral, uncluttered — the larger you make the rooms look (i.e. store some of the furniture/decor in the attic if you can) the better.

• Reply Monica February 11, 2011 at 3:59 pm

At the moment, those cupcakes are speaking to me in a big way or the mini tarts. :D Beautiful images….

• Reply shari February 11, 2011 at 4:27 pm

Thanks for all the link goodies! I’m blaming you when I don’t get anything done today! ;-)

Love all the photos!!! I love redecorating small areas for a new effect in my apartment. It’s so fun and keeps things feeling fresh! I just wish there were a Trader Joe’s nearby… I used to pick up inexpensive yet lovely fresh flowers all the time, but no longer. Still, my succulents survived the move, and are thriving in my bright apartment. Yay!

Thanks so much! Oh, and I pre-ordered my Decorate book yesterday!! Woo hoo!

• Reply soraya nulliah February 11, 2011 at 4:28 pm

So much inspiration over here Holly!!! And very easy to incorporate some of these easy ideas into my home. I think my best one?…no 11. All those pics leading up to the empty frame…I love the artsy quality, the oooomph and interest it creates on a wall. Plus it’s so personal…I can use my family pics that are just sitting in a box somewhere! thanks for another great post Holly. Oh and LOVE that staircase too…great to look at everyday I would think! -Soraya

• Reply Maria Helena February 11, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I adore idea nº 5 , i’ve been wanting to do this at home – in the kitchen or living room – just wonderfull! Hope i find beautiful tins like this ones – thrifting stores maybe or even indian or chinese supermarkets…? :P

Ps – Congratulations on the book!!! I’m very happy for you, can´t wait to have a copy of mine ;)

• Reply Claire February 11, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Hi Holly – lovely post and very well timed as I’m about to move home and take on fairly major renovation project! Hearing about you talk about work you love also really strikes a chord with me right now, as I’ve been considering new career paths and have just taken a Wealth Dynamics test online (I’m a Creator). Was just wondering – have you ever used this tool, and if so, has it helped you define what you want to do? Claire x

• Reply jenn February 11, 2011 at 5:11 pm

So much goodness here! I really love the burlap lamp shade with the homemade flowers attached. So sweet. I also LOVE the streams of bunting behind the cute table near the top. Thanks for all the inspiration leading into the weekend!

• Reply Brigitte February 11, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Oh, I so needed a jolt of fresh ideas. I used the blizzard we had (snow day!) as an opportunity to make new curtains, but I’m really feeling the pull to mix it up a bit!

• Reply Amy February 11, 2011 at 5:28 pm

So many fantastic ideas! I have so many projects on my wish to do list I can’t even keep up!

• Reply Jenna February 11, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Thank you! I’ve been trying to come up with a way to showcase the incredible antique photographs I’ve collected. Image 11 is just the inspiration I needed! Best post ever.

• Reply Ann February 11, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I love the picture of the staircase. I saw a staircase on a design show years ago and they had glass stair treads with the word “welcome” in different languages etched into them. It was beautiful and one day I WILL make that happen in a house of mine. Perhaps I could paint the words for now.

• Reply Lisa February 11, 2011 at 6:30 pm

Oh Holly, I just adore this post! So many good ideas here! Love the felt flowers on the lampshade, and the garlands, and the stairs! Just love.

I also share this feeling that we don’t have to decorate with things that we buy specifically as decorations. Coincidentally enough, I just posted my Valentine’s kitchen widow display before I popped over here — it’s all made up from things around the house. I’m going to go edit my post and link back here!

Happy, happy weekend to you!

• Reply Amy February 11, 2011 at 6:44 pm

just curious, how do you get the link thing that says so and so’s last blog…

• Reply Dagmarette @ The Finishing School February 11, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I love Tartelette! Those nutella cupcakes were delish. Also clever idea with the plates. Due to our Scandinavian heritage we have all these blue and white plates to display but arranging them in a non-orderly fashion on the wall looks amazing, so perhaps I will have to do that! Congrats again on your book, how exciting!

• Reply juliette February 11, 2011 at 6:54 pm

I have to say I really like the idea of dressing up a lampshade with one homemade element. I can also see doing something like this to one picture frame in a grouping, or to a mirror…just a little something to be a tad unexpected and soften things a bit.

It can really personalize the lamp without being a big huge project…something I have time for!

• Reply Lila Ferraro February 11, 2011 at 7:24 pm

I love image number 12. It’s so peaceful and looks like such a stylin place to relax!
    Lila Ferraro

• Reply Orit February 11, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Dear Holly, I identify with how you feel about your work. I believe that’s a key factor for personal happiness. I worked for 10 years at the high-tech industry when i left for my real passion which is product design.
    Just finished decorating my new home and blogged about it, would love if you stopped by!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

• Reply Mitzi Curi February 11, 2011 at 8:55 pm

Holly, thanks for the inspiration! I need to check out the links you provided to get a view of something different. I tend to lurk around the antique/craft blogs most of the time, so it will be nice to view some contemporary spaces with vintage mixed in. You have a great eye for that sort of look, and your vignettes are good examples!

P.S. I’m still benefiting from the things I learned a year ago in BYW. I refer back to those lessons frequently. What an awesome experience that was!

• Reply Haylee February 11, 2011 at 9:33 pm

I love these, especially numbers 1, 3 and 11. How incredible is that wall arrangement in number 11? It makes me want to go buy a bunch of mini frames for my bedroom.

• Reply janis - pinecone camp February 11, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Well, I can instantly connect to the baking, as I bake all the time. It’s so relaxing and the results are very satisfying!
    I love #8 as well. I have a collection of vintage cameras and I’ve tried displaying them in all kinds of ways. this looks so cute!
    Have a great weekend.

• Reply Vanessa Elizabeth @ Ruffled Rose February 11, 2011 at 10:17 pm

LOVE image 11 and 16! I’ve always had the philosophy that you should live amongst what you love. Find ways to incorporate it into your spaces in surprising ways.

• Reply se7en February 11, 2011 at 10:23 pm

Oh my word … so much to see, so much to love!!! Wonderful!!! Hope you have a great working weekend!!!

• Reply Julie the Alkaline Sister February 11, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Holly I bought a magazine today but really needn’t have bothered with this wonderful inspiration for fluffing my home which I am just doing now! Kids are in school, posts are done-for now-and time to putter-just the BEST! Kettle is on and tea to sip while I pretty things up! What brings your creative genius to the surface when you need to fluff? Music, tea, scents? The Fleur de Orange oil we got in Marrakesh makes me lose my mind-need to put some on NOW! Have a wonderful Valentines Day with your hubby!

• Reply decor8 February 12, 2011 at 10:17 am

@Julie – Music and candles do it for me. :)

• Reply Jen February 11, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Great ideas!!! especially number 1,2,4,6,7,11 and 18.
    they are all wonderful btw.

• Reply Rosa February 11, 2011 at 11:00 pm

I love number 11!! I just started collecting daily paintings and I hope that someday I can make such a sweet display of them! Thanks for the great post!!

• Reply Suzanne February 11, 2011 at 11:53 pm

What a great inspirational post, thanks, you have given me lots of ideas to think about…and act on. The staircase in pic no 18 is great, as are the wellies.

• Reply soisses February 12, 2011 at 12:15 am

fantastic stuff! i love all the pictures and will take a look to all the links. thank you a lot!

• Reply deneise bucko February 12, 2011 at 1:27 am

I love when you teach me to find inspiration in myself……’re the best~

• Reply Glenda Childers February 12, 2011 at 3:53 am

I love cozy corners in homes . . . my favorite spots to decorate.

• Reply Amanda @ Easy Peasy Organic February 12, 2011 at 4:30 am

I love the rainbow stair runner! What a great way to brighten a stairwell … and those cut out animals …

• Reply ARTiculateART February 12, 2011 at 5:15 am

Great job!!! I absolutely love this post! I especially love the plates on the wall – I wonder how they’re fixed onto the wall! The flowers in the cans are beautiful too! I just love the details!

• Reply Eloise (Eloctre) February 12, 2011 at 8:18 am

Wow this is a very comprehensive list! And every part of the list is amazing! You must have scoured the blogshere far and wide to find these beauties! I’ve just found 5 new blogs to follow! I loved your Decor8 Blog Your Way Class as well! Thank you so much for sharing!

• Reply Mary February 12, 2011 at 9:19 am

I remember that photo of the wedding rings from the print issue of Martha Stewart weddings (maybe a couple of years ago?). I may have even bought that issue because I loved that photo and several other ideas inside. I’ve actually been brainstorming ideas for product shots, so thank you for reminding me of that cover. Lots of great ideas here!

• Reply Amy February 12, 2011 at 10:29 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you — what a great post and so many great resources. Love idea 11.

• Reply Ester February 12, 2011 at 12:09 pm

The introduction is wonderful. I know that it is too personel, but I would welcome to read more on feeling much a work, and when pulling the plug and go away. And to walk away and doing something else? Right now I am thinking everyday about this. And I am working also this weekend.
    Even a month before I checked decor8 daily, today I realised that I did not have a time since 2 weeks :(((

• Reply Ester February 12, 2011 at 12:10 pm

The ideas on the photos are wonderful and easy to make, thanks for it!

• Reply Purple Area February 12, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Great post, very inspiring!!!

• Reply Michael February 12, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Great images thanks for sharing….
    i like the colorful stairs…

• Reply Diana L February 12, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I am inspired by the burlap lamp shade from Remodelaholic. Off to check out that blog. The staircase is fab too, tho I don’t have a staircase. The colors are just too fun!

• Reply Maria Kallin February 12, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Inspiring indeed, wow, now I just want to begin decorate all over my place :) I do not know where to begin… Beautiful choices! Wonderful colors! I hope you are having a lovely Saturday!

• Reply Yvette February 12, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Lovely post, Holly. I’m happy to see my work on your inspiring blog. Thanks so much for the inclusion!

• Reply Jan February 12, 2011 at 8:25 pm

8 is great, I love those vintage cameras and the idea wit ha chalkboard is funny!

• Reply Jasmin February 13, 2011 at 12:15 am

Such gorgeous and inspiring images Holly, I’m rearranging everything in my bedroom and will definitely be using some of these pics as inspiration! x

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang February 13, 2011 at 3:16 am

Those throws are beautiful!

• Reply Diane Faust-Counsellor February 13, 2011 at 5:46 am

I just ordered your book from Barnes and Noble. I’m so ready for it and I can’t wait!I so love decor 8! Thanks Holly!

• Reply Margie February 13, 2011 at 6:58 am

Love the cameras & chalkboard background. Thinking of displaying my collection on the mantle using chalkboard contact paper as a background :-) thanks for sharing, as always!

• Reply hena tayeb February 13, 2011 at 8:26 am

Gorgeous corners. The details lovely.. number 11 is so interesting but I must admit the camera are my favorite.

• Reply Mia February 13, 2011 at 9:14 am

Hi, image #19 (funny, its the name of my blog is styled by aussie stylist Glen Proebstel. Love his work. More of it on my blog. Thanks for a wonderful read everyday.

• Reply Eva February 13, 2011 at 11:04 am

Thank you for this lovely post! The flowers in the tea tins speak to me the most. It’s the colours, the fact that the flowers are mostly wild ones and the pretty mismatched collection of tins. I love tea and pretty packaging, tins of any sort. Also, anyone could make their own version of it really easily, also using plain food tins with their paper labels removed … Maybe I’ll just go out and do that!!! :-)

• Reply soisses February 13, 2011 at 11:20 am

you did a link to my blog (or did it happen by another way?!?) – that`s a big compliment to me ;-)

i wish you a lovely weekend,
    yours dani

• Reply suprlipopette February 13, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Lovely selection ! I love #8 & #11…

• Reply February 13, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Inspiring ideas. I love the one with the tiles on the wall. It’s just great.

• Reply vosgesparis February 14, 2011 at 12:14 am

I really enjoyed reading this post… Just as you say I enhoy changing little cornes… like what is up on my cupboard or so.. atm all little white candles bags from MERCI in Paris.. and a new candlestick (Although I sweared to myself not to buy any more) But hey it looks like an antler of a reindeer.. and I have a spot for reindeer’s lately ;)

I recognize pix 19 it’s a publicity for some brand… but can;t find the name right now.. Interesting also pix 13 as it is the house of Paul Massey and I remember to have read he decorated it all by himself… must be for some foto shoot or show then

cheers desiree

• Reply D.L. Rhein February 14, 2011 at 12:45 am

I Love the use of tea cans for flower vases! Thanks for the inspiration.

• Reply Jess (Where My Heart Is) February 14, 2011 at 1:02 am

What a lovely post, full of great inspiration and a nice way to discover some great new blogs and sites.

• Reply shelbi February 14, 2011 at 5:56 am

I cannot pick just one. gathered so much inspiration here today….as always. lovely images. xo xo

• Reply nancy isabelle February 14, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Happy, wonderful, magical Valentine’s day! Just to let you know… you bring love in my everyday! xxx

• Reply Rebekah February 14, 2011 at 3:50 pm

Upon my 1st time visiting your blog, I found myself instantly hooked! What great inspiration through so many different facets! I especially loved #5 & #6, the Martha Stewart Weddings! LOVED the color palettes & the creative use! Thanks for the inspiration!

• Reply thedoodlegirl February 14, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Breathtaking!! So much to see in all of these fun pictures.

• Reply Christina February 14, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Awesome post! I am especially inspired by #11. I must just have to try something like that!

• Reply el {what you fancy} February 14, 2011 at 7:48 pm

I really love this idea of showing all the images that are currently inspiring you, and something I’m keen to carry over to my style blog. Every day I fall in love with new pictures and concepts, but sometimes it’s hard to place them under a particular post… thank you for the inspiration :) Btw – I love the Martha Stewart images in particular, which is no surprise since they’re wedding related!

• Reply monaluna February 14, 2011 at 8:25 pm

Ooh, Holly, these are so inspiring! I love the clustered tea tins with flowers, and the chalkboard paint with floating shelves. I’ve been very into chalkboard paint lately, but haven’t used it on a large area. Also, the tumbling artwork is very cool. We’re getting ready to hang a series of photos in a collage-y way in our living room – we might be able to do a modified version of this!

• Reply Marie February 14, 2011 at 9:19 pm

A feast for the eyes! Each group of photos is better than the next. My favorite is the pictures “falling” out of the frame. Love the felt flowers on the lampshade too.

Happy Valentine’s Day!

• Reply Eden February 14, 2011 at 10:30 pm

I love anything related to photography so #8 caught my eye. It’s such a creative way to display a collection and a neat play on “everything in its place and a place for everything.”

• Reply The Shutter February 15, 2011 at 2:24 am

I love them all. Great post Holly. xo

• Reply sara February 15, 2011 at 10:20 am

The rug on #18 grabbed me instantly :) All of the pictures were really inspiring – thanks for gathering such great ones today. They filled my head with ideas!

• Reply Emma February 16, 2011 at 2:23 am

thanks for all the great links. i love baking but i also love arranging tabletops or shelves. it’s an easy, quick way to feel creative without spending money. photographing it is the final step. for some reason it is easier to “see” things in a photograph.

• Reply emilia February 16, 2011 at 8:51 pm

all of this… wonderful!
    i looooove it!

• Reply ellen April 2, 2011 at 6:20 am

Hi, I just came accross your blog page, it’s beautiful and ful of inspiration. Thank you for sharing!
    Best, Ellen

• Reply Andrea C. July 22, 2013 at 11:06 am

I always call our house, ‘Home’. It’s not always the expensive things or decorations being displayed but the happiness you felt whenever you see new arrangement out of the same ole things in your home. Great job Holly!