Artist Thomas Campbell

I’ve had some computer issues with my Mac for the past 24 hours that prevented me from blogging but now it all seems to be fine for the moment so I’m racing to get some posts in because I have so much to say! All of these things are bottled up and I have to blog or else I’ll burst. The signs of a true blogging addiction, I know…

Artist Thomas Campbell

First of all, I have to thank those of you who have registered for the upcoming Blogging Your Way e-class, I am super excited and can’t wait to meet all of my new students in less than two weeks online. It will be a great class and I’m ready to go because I have so much to share and I want to do the class before my book launches as I know after that, I’ll be busy for awhile. How are you doing? Are you well?

Artist Thomas Campbell

Now let’s talk about all of this beautiful art that you’re seeing around my words… How fabulous is this stuff?  I’d like to introduce you to the wonderful work of an artist that I found through a painting class I’m currently in called Get Your Paint On, his name is Thomas Campbell and his paintings are beyond inspiring… they are awe-inspiring works that takes you to your happy place and invites you to stay awhile.

Artist Thomas Campbell

I like how he uses paper, thread, paint, his sewing machine… and creates these most dazzling abstract works that really pop (sorry, I know some of you hate the word “pop” thanks to television design shows, but it’s the best word for this I swear!) in some of the most beautiful colorways. In fact, his use of color is what drew me in at first, but as I looked a bit deeper I enjoyed seeing how he uses color — bright pure hues to catch the eye and muted ones that give his work more depth.

Artist Thomas Campbell

To learn more about Thomas, please check out an interview that SLAP skateboard magazine had with him — it’s very thorough and you can even find some videos on the site about him.

Oh…in case you’re wondering about this painting class that I mentioned above…  Well I’m learning so much about art in general through Mati & Lisa’s class, if you have a chance to take it when they do another one you totally should, it’s fun. I’m definitely registering for their next one. I’m determined to get back into painting because it is so relaxing plus I want to learn more about layering in collage work and needed the general push that this class gives me. Anyway, Mati and Lisa if you are reading this, thanks for the intro to Thomas!

(images: thomas campbell)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts on February 16, 2011

1. michelle commented
    February 16th, 2011 at 5:46pm

Thanks for the link to the painting class. I hope they offer another one soon, I’m really interested in taking it.
    michelle´s last blog post ..When Fashion Meets Art

2. jenn commented
    February 16th, 2011 at 5:52pm

His work is beautiful! I’ve always really loved multi-media artists. The layers and textures are just so interesting to look at.
    jenn´s last blog post ..renovate back entry

3. Heather MK commented
    February 16th, 2011 at 6:07pm

Wow, this is so beautiful! Thank you for sharing this with us!!
    Heather MK´s last blog post ..Mexican chocolate cake

4. Katie commented
    February 16th, 2011 at 6:11pm

I love his work, it is beautiful! Good luck with your book and your mac problems… hope they get worked out.
    Katie´s last blog post ..Handmade Flower Frame

5. Antje commented
    February 16th, 2011 at 6:44pm

Thank you to introduce Thomas Campbell. It´s a gain to get to know his work.
    Antje´s last blog post ..Inspiration

6. laura trevey commented
    February 16th, 2011 at 6:49pm

Now this I LOVE! Bright and colorful~
    laura trevey´s last blog post ..Where We Blog – Home Office – Favorite Cozy Spot

7. Christy commented
    February 16th, 2011 at 7:05pm

I’m taking it too! So fun! I wish I had more time to paint!

8. Catherine at Design Editor commented
    February 16th, 2011 at 7:22pm

I absolutely adore his work! This makes me want to get my sewing machine up and running…
    Catherine at Design Editor´s last blog post ..Link List

9. Katie Truelove commented
    February 16th, 2011 at 7:26pm

Wow! Those are absolutely stunning and so creative. Thank you for sharing!
    Katie Truelove´s last blog post ..Rooftop Snowball Fight!

10. Jenna P commented
    February 16th, 2011 at 8:40pm

I love Thomas Campbell. If you like his art, You should check out Sprout – one of his surf films. Even if you don’t surf, like me, it is like an audio/visual experience of one of his paintings -and it has a phenomenal soundtrack…

11. kaitlyn sullivan commented
    February 16th, 2011 at 9:36pm

ohhh yes! i did some research on thomas campbell back in school… his work is awesome, and his lifestyle is great too. nice feature :)
    kaitlyn sullivan´s last blog post ..birds eye

12. kaitlyn sullivan commented
    February 16th, 2011 at 9:36pm

ps i second jenna’s sprout comment!
    kaitlyn sullivan´s last blog post ..birds eye

13. leililaloo commented
    February 16th, 2011 at 10:22pm

Oh Wow, yes i saw the picture of his work that Mati showed in the class blog. How nice Holly that we are in the same class together :)) Have you already put any paintings up in the (closed)Flickr group? I would so Love to see yours :))

I’m so happy with this class ‘Get your paint on’! I just can go on and on about how much it fires me up and inspires to try new things. And i also learn so much from everyone else who is taking this class…..There are some fabulous painters participating. And let me tell you, we have the most fabulous instructors. Mati & Lisa!
    leililaloo´s last blog post ..Getting out of my comfort zone!

14. gretchenmist/belinda commented
    February 17th, 2011 at 12:14am

wow, beautiful work!
    i keep hearing great things about this course, sounds like so much fun.
    enjoy your painting :)
    gretchenmist/belinda´s last blog post ..giveaway

15. Walter Silva commented
    February 17th, 2011 at 5:39am

WOW! I really needed this type of inspiration! Thank You for introducing him to your loyal readers:)

16. Melissa commented
    February 17th, 2011 at 8:30am

Thank you for sharing his work with us – I’m completely sucked in by it. Mixed media arts fascinate me – so much depth. But it’s the colour that pulls me right in here. Love it.
    Melissa´s last blog post ..Orange Ginger Pork Stir Fry

17. kate commented
    February 17th, 2011 at 1:18pm

i LOVE thomas campbell’s work, he is a real inspiration for color, texture and technique. thanks for this post holly!

18. ana commented
    February 17th, 2011 at 1:27pm

Such a colorful work. I love mixed media art.

I collect tones of paper to transform them into collages
    ana´s last blog post ..Daily Find- Candela Necklace

19. patti backer commented
    February 17th, 2011 at 2:13pm

i have been a long time fan! i’m so happy you featured him!
    patti backer´s last blog post ..the end is here

20. leslie commented
    February 17th, 2011 at 6:34pm

I am so taking the next class with you!!! And thank you for sharing this artist with all of us. I am beyond inspired just staring at his work and I just checked out his website and ended up watching a video and staring some more. AMAZING. Thank you Holly Becker!!!!!
    leslie´s last blog post ..Blogging Your Way

21. decor8 commented
    February 17th, 2011 at 6:49pm

@Leslie – You are welcome you amazing lady, you! xooxox Yes take it with me, it’s a fun class though I’ve only had a second to read through the materials and haven’t lifted a single paint brush BUT I feel THISCLOSE to experimenting this weekend!!!

22. Shell commented
    February 18th, 2011 at 1:57am

Thomas’ work is amazing. Love the colors; How the paintings appear alive with feeling and sound.
    Shell´s last blog post ..Dreamy Thursday – Charles &amp Irene

23. tina commented
    February 18th, 2011 at 8:12am

Love Thomas Campbell too!
    Blaine Fontana is another artist you might enjoy as well.
    I’m also taking the class. It’s been the push I needed to do something I’ve been wanting to for ages.

24. Dana Barbieri commented
    February 19th, 2011 at 8:05pm

Hello. I am in class with you. I learned about thomas campbell’s work awhile back and I too was instantly in love. He is so great with color. Mati and Lisa are doing a great job and I can’t wait for part 2!
    Have a great weekend and I hope you get to pick up your paint brush soon!
    Dana Barbieri´s last blog post ..My Creative Space

25. Ashley commented
    February 21st, 2011 at 5:14pm

Wow, these are truly inspiring and right up my alley! These pieces are sure to put you in a good mood.
    Ashley´s last blog post ..AshleyMonster- Over 50 miles of stringGabriel Dawe thread installations http-pulsenews-124HQ

26. Dreaming Bear commented
    March 6th, 2011 at 1:59pm

Wowwee!! Love his work! He sure has an eye for color and pattern, doesn’t he? So cool!!!
    Dreaming Bear´s last blog post ..Bubble Trouble – The Fabric Line!

27. Vanessa Johanning commented
    March 22nd, 2011 at 10:07pm

Love his style!!! It would be cool if we could take a class on that also!!! ( The collages of paper!)

Thanks for sharing!! PICK UP THE BRUSH!!! You will be SOOO happy you did!

28. R commented
    April 26th, 2011 at 9:16am

You should watch his surf film Sprout… Shot on beautiful 16mm film….