Handmade

Kylie Johnson: Poet and Ceramicist

March 2, 2011

Kylie Johnson is a talented poet and a ceramicist from Brisbane who has an online store but — good news for the US and Europe — Anthropologie recently picked up her ceramics though they already stock her poetry books (I own Count Me The Stars published by Murdoch Books, it’s lovely) and I think their choice is just perfect as Kylie’s work is stunning Anthropologie commissioned three vessels from her for their stores and Kylie wants to share them with decor8 readers today as they are just about to hit the shelves in both Europe and the US next week.

Kylie Johnson: Poet and Ceramicist

Kylie Johnson: Poet and Ceramicist

Kylie Johnson: Poet and Ceramicist

I love seeing poetry and ceramics merge – what a gorgeous combination of my two favorite things — meaningful words and delicate, tactile porcelain, for a true sensory experience. Australian photographer Jillian Leiboff recently did a portrait shoot with Kylie and so above is a little glimpse from that day these two ladies spent together, which I thought was really sweet… so now you see above Kylie’s gorgeous pieces.

Psst: Kylie blogs, too.

(images: jillian leiboff)

You Might Also Like

35 Comments

• Reply caro March 2, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Oh, wow, this is so great and special. A really nice idea for a birthday present. Thank you for sharing, Holly! Have a nice day – caro

• Reply Sanja March 2, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I’d hang them :) It would almost feel blasphemous to dirty them up!

• Reply tinajo March 2, 2011 at 1:43 pm

This is lovely, love the blue on the white and the words! :-)

• Reply Erika ~TiptoeButterfly~ March 2, 2011 at 2:35 pm

SWOON!
    *kiss kiss*
    Erika

• Reply Tammy March 2, 2011 at 3:01 pm

So beautiful…What a nice way to start your day.

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente March 2, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Love them….I am a huge fan of poetry & porcelain too. So delicate & so meaningful. Can’t wait to see them at Anthro and going to check out her online shop right now! :)
    xo
    Melis

• Reply Eva March 2, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I love it when there’s writing on the bottom of bowls or cups..when you’re finished there’s something to look at.

• Reply Purple Area March 2, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Lovely!!

• Reply Lauren March 2, 2011 at 4:17 pm

So cute…love the plate the most. I’m with you Sanja, def don’t wanna use and get dirty, going straight on the wall!

Perfect post for me too bc I’ve been looking EVERYWHERE for some ceramics for my new place ;)

• Reply magalerie March 2, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I love typography and I love white porcelain so I could only fall in love with Kylie’s work. Thanks for sharing.
    I wish we had one Anthropologie store in Paris. :)

• Reply Rachel March 2, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Oh those are so cute! Thanks for sharing :)

• Reply hena tayeb March 2, 2011 at 6:19 pm

how lovely

• Reply meenal @ maison marigold March 2, 2011 at 7:53 pm

what a soulful rendition in porcelain….a true collectible…Luckily my husband is off to the US next month..I’ll be sure to ask him to get me one( or maybe all three)!!…thanks so much for sharing !!

btw…just saw an image from your book ‘decorate’ on vincentwolf blog…AMAZING!! Great job, Holly !! xx meenal

• Reply handz March 2, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Very cool idea – now try tell me – dont read why you are eating! :)

• Reply jenn March 2, 2011 at 8:38 pm

What a sweet way to display your poetry, and liven up a simple ceramic piece. Love this!

• Reply Christine March 2, 2011 at 9:53 pm

Gorgeous. This must be the same artist that did their little bag that their birthday discount comes in… I got one with stars just like that!

• Reply Laura Gaskill March 2, 2011 at 10:11 pm

I had visited Kylie’s Big Cartel shop long ago and loved it, but forgot all about it until this – how wonderful! Her work feels so special, I would love to keep one of her small dishes on my dresser as a home for a few of my favorite rings :) Great news this will be at Anthro to see in person! xo Laura

• Reply ana March 2, 2011 at 11:57 pm

the spiral plate is gorgeous

• Reply meagan March 3, 2011 at 12:25 am

What a unique collection! Love em’ – they would make great gifts!

• Reply Mervi March 3, 2011 at 1:05 am

These are lovely and such a great idea.

• Reply ARTiculateART March 3, 2011 at 3:57 am

Wow this is a great idea!!! Wondering why it didn’t show up earlier!

• Reply Penny Patten March 3, 2011 at 3:58 am

Love these, they are quite fabulous and very sweet. They would make a great gift!

• Reply Kate @ Songs Kate Sang March 3, 2011 at 6:16 am

I adore how you introduce me to so many beautiful things! Thank you.

• Reply Julie the Alkaline Sister March 3, 2011 at 6:48 am

Oooh I wanna make me a little healthy somethin somethin to go on that gorgeous rectangle plate! Fabulous styling props make me weak at the knees! Thanx for telling me!

• Reply Nathan March 3, 2011 at 11:22 am

I own her book of poetry too, and I’ve seen her ceramics around. I had no idea that the artist was from Brisbane, which is where I live. It’s nice to know that art is so close to where I am.

• Reply Glenda Childers March 3, 2011 at 12:40 pm

So glad I moved to Chicago and have an Anthropolgie near me. Such beautiful lovely pieces.

Fondly,
    Glenda

• Reply Lisa March 3, 2011 at 6:34 pm

Oh Holly, thanks so much for sharing this! I had seen her book at Anthro after I had already checked out and didn’t have time to pick it up that day — the line was super long! But I had been intrigued. Now you’ve reminded me about it and added more great news!

Such quiet beauty.

• Reply Ingrid March 4, 2011 at 4:41 am

I’ve been priviledged to meet Kylie a few times…she is just gorgeous. It’s that lovely spirit that is woven into her work that only adds to its appeal…the few pieces of her work that I own are truly treasured. x

• Reply Marilyna at Interior Design the Woodlands March 4, 2011 at 5:54 am

Beautiful pieces!

• Reply Kim from POST ROAD March 4, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Lovely – I will have to go to Anthropologie, hold these, read these and most likely bring them home with me.

• Reply Jillian Leiboff March 5, 2011 at 1:29 am

Here’s the link to Kylie’s work on the Anthropologie website. Happy Shopping.

• Reply Andy March 7, 2011 at 7:47 am

I love these! The fusion of words and cleanly shaped ceramics deliciously capture our hunger for poetry and simple, quiet beauty. These are stunning photos. Thanks for posting them!

• Reply Holly Goes March 8, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I recently became the proud and exited owner of two of Kylie’s beautiful cloud brooches (i was so excited I even blogged about it!). What a talented lady, so lovely to see her getting such fantastic acclaim.

• Reply London Lisbonite March 8, 2011 at 10:43 pm

Beautiful. I’ve always wondered what technique is used to get the glossy letters into the unglazed bowl. Some sort of gloss?

• Reply Brugge Restaurant March 9, 2011 at 12:00 pm

So i glad and I moved to Chicago and have an Anthropologist near me. Such beautiful lovely pieces….