Arts + Crafts

3D Wall Butterflies

March 3, 2011

Anyone who knows me well, knows that I love butterflies. I’ve long held an interest in them and today, view them as not only delicate, beautiful creatures fluttering about in nature — but in the home I like to see them as motifs whether on a print or used in a pattern as part of a pretty piece of fabric. I spotted these gorgeous 3D wall butterflies crafted from paper on Etsy’s homepage today and felt inspired to share them. These are made by Jacqueline who runs Hip and Clavicle in Pennsylvania.

3D Wall Butterflies

3D Wall Butterflies

I love Jacqueline’s inspiration behind her work, “To explore the way ordinary objects and processes come together with human sense and memory in moments that transcend their everyday existence. I am drawn to capture and recreate those moments that spontaneously fill me with wide-eyed reflection and contemplation.” I think you could use these to create a lovely installation in your own home much like how a store would create a seasonal installation to promote a theme — your theme could be centered around Spring and you could put these on delicate transparent fishing string and hang them in your window or from the ceiling in a children’s room — or of course, use two-sided tape and adhere them to the wall.

Butterflies symbolism freedom, exploration and whimsy. That’s a big part of who I am, which is why I think the butterfly will always remain an inspiration to me. Owls for their wisdom and quiet strength, dolphins for their playful energy and ability to connect with those whom they love, trees for how sure and secure they appear yet just below the surface it is their roots that keep them strong, clouds, flowers, the sparks you see at times when two things strike together… the smell of the forest after rain has fallen… There is so much in nature to inspire and delight the senses, isn’t there?

(images: hip and clavicle)

You Might Also Like

49 Comments

• Reply meenal @ maison marigold March 3, 2011 at 3:14 pm

when i read butterflies…i thought ‘for kids’…but one look and wow…so glamorous…that last image is just too good!! thanks for yet another lovely post, Holly!! xx meenal

• Reply PriscilaPetersDecor March 3, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Amazing! What a adorable idea. It looks great.

• Reply Heather March 3, 2011 at 4:08 pm

I have to admit that I have a questionable leaky/icky wall in my house that has caused the paint to crack. I just covered it up with similar butterflies. Perhaps that’s not the BEST plan, but no one has ever been able to find where the leak is coming from!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente March 3, 2011 at 4:29 pm

These are so lovely….I love butterflies too, in nature and in the home. So many beautiful things to inspire us, yes….thanks hun!
    xo
    Melis

• Reply Vanessa Elizabeth l Ruffled Rose March 3, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I love dimensional texture on a wall! Those are so lovely.

• Reply Eva @ Four Leaf Clover March 3, 2011 at 5:02 pm

These are so pretty! Would love to have my wall adorned in a few of these lovelies!

• Reply Nina Lamb March 3, 2011 at 5:09 pm

That’s funny how you posted those because I also spotted them on Etsy this morning and put a link in my inspiration folder to use as part of my mood board for Blogging Your Way. I didn’t read the story behind Jacqueline’s work – so thank you for a great post.

• Reply tracie March 3, 2011 at 5:15 pm

sweet & interesting.. could see them across a mirror, for spring time :)

• Reply Christina March 3, 2011 at 6:04 pm

I’m not usually one for dainty feminine things, but this post still made me smile. I think I need to loosen up my perceptions of decorating with things like this. I immediately think that it would look cluttered or silly or like a little girls room, but I shouldn’t let thoughts like that keep me from potential awesomeness. Haha.

• Reply Missives From Suburbia March 3, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Thank you for posting this! She makes beautiful dragonflies, and dragonflies have been an ongoing theme in my relationship with my husband since we first started dating. I just bought a set from her, and I’m going to surprise him by hanging them in his bathroom one night so they greet him in the morning.

• Reply Jacqueline March 3, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Hi,

I wanted to thank you for such a lovely feature! What you say about nature is very true, it’s a wellspring of inspiration. Whenever I’m in a creative dry spell I just take a little walk in the woods and the ideas and excitement start pouring in!

One thing I wanted to mention, you were talking about using the double-sided tape, actually I ship the butterflies with a wall safe removable adhesive already on the back of each one. I love the idea of placing these on strings as well! It sounds very Anthropologie and I’m a huge fan of their window displays!

• Reply Tereza March 3, 2011 at 7:52 pm

oooo so beautiful, would look so nice in a little girls nursery or room!

• Reply Jaime @ la vie...j'aime March 3, 2011 at 8:52 pm

so gorgeous!

• Reply Malin March 3, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Gorgeus! I too am a big butterfly lover :-)

Thanks by the way for a great inspirational blogg, I read it daily but this is the first time I leave a comment… :-S

Take care,

Malin

• Reply Candi March 3, 2011 at 9:16 pm

She captures the delicate flight of butterflies so well….they’re beautiful!

• Reply Kia Sunda March 3, 2011 at 9:38 pm

These are so gorgeous! I could see these making a beautiful installation in upcoming projects.

• Reply Christina March 3, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Love these– really, anything butterfly-realted. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Branka March 3, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Sometimes when I read your blog, it feels like I am reading my own diary :) I adore butterflies! A long time ago ,when I studied, I wrote an essay about the morphology of the English and German names of butterflies. Strange topic, I know :)) ,but I studied languages and somehow saw connection in everything I love – so why not morphology and butterflies.
    Anyway, I read your blog for a while and really enjoy every single post. Thank you for your daily piece of inspiration!

• Reply Danielle March 3, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I adore butterflies and insects in general…thanks to my son who is obsessed with insects and has been for years!

• Reply Shari March 3, 2011 at 11:10 pm

I absolutely agree with you… there’s so much in nature to ensnare the senses and to delight our imaginations! That’s the first place I go to for my own inspiration!

Thank you for sharing the butterflies! They’re lovely and delicate and perfect.

• Reply Christine March 4, 2011 at 12:12 am

These are so elegant~Jacqueline’s inspiration is equally poetic:) I have used butterflies and dragonflies with some of my work and they almost always represent transformation of some kind~

• Reply Brooke H March 4, 2011 at 12:20 am

These are so lovely! They remind me of the one’s in Serena’s bedroom on Gossip Girl. (Embarrassingly enough not only do I watch, i kind of love that show!) I think hers are plastic and made by Umbra though. These are much more delicate and have the wonderful, one-of-kind, special, handmade touch to them.

• Reply Mariela March 4, 2011 at 12:28 am

Beautiful, I love the last one. I always like butterflies, they are so delicate and beautiful.

• Reply Katie Bee March 4, 2011 at 1:14 am

These have been on my etsy favorite list for some time. I can’t wait to have a home where I could put them to use…then I’ll just have to decide which are my favorites!
    The butterfly is one of my favorite motifs from nature. As a young teen, I had butterflies everywhere in my room, and still keep a little plaster butterfly hung on my wall. It can’t help but make me happy.

• Reply ARTiculateART March 4, 2011 at 1:23 am

These look lovely on the wall!!!

• Reply Jacqueline March 4, 2011 at 3:26 am

In reply to Brooke H:

I also watch and adore Gossip Girl! It’s a fun show, well acted, and the wardrobe is top notch in my book. The butterflies on Serena’s wall are actually an installation by a fantastic artist, Paul Villinski. He makes them from beer cans and assembles them into the best installations/arrangements I’ve had the pleasure to see: http://www.paulvillinski.com/

• Reply Afi March 4, 2011 at 5:18 am

Very pretty! Love her work :) Thanks for sharing!

• Reply ANETTESHUS.COM March 4, 2011 at 8:28 am

Wow!! These are so lovely ?

xo
    ANETTE

• Reply meenal @ maison marigold March 4, 2011 at 9:34 am

Hi Holly…is there any tutorial about how to make these butterflies…I couldn’t find any on Jacquiline’s website… I totally want to make these for my daughter’s room!! thanks xx meenal

• Reply decor8 March 4, 2011 at 12:58 pm

@Meenal: I don’t know of any tutorials however these are the creative works of Jacqueline and so I feel it is best that if you like her work to buy directly from her and support this talented lady. I’m glad you like them!

• Reply Casa e Cose March 4, 2011 at 11:29 am

Oh id love me some of those orange and pink butterflies. Lovely and so devoratif – what patience this lady has!

• Reply Amy March 4, 2011 at 3:30 pm

These butterflies are so pretty…

• Reply Carol March 4, 2011 at 7:46 pm

Hi! It’s really so delicate. I visited site and loved her work!
    Kiss: Carol

• Reply jen {das sushi} March 4, 2011 at 8:43 pm

So lovely! My daughter adores butterflies (one of the first words she learned in german was schmetterlingen!), but it can be so hard to find butterfly themed things that are pretty but not cutesy for her room. These definitely fit the bill.

• Reply Krystle Rose March 4, 2011 at 11:39 pm

I love butterflies too and started collecting (and making) butterfly art. They remind me that life is a journey that is always changing and evolving. Thank you for sharing these beautiful pieces!

• Reply Mary March 5, 2011 at 2:57 am

These are beautiful! I just started browsing through this blog, and I already love it. You have great taste!

• Reply Patia March 5, 2011 at 5:20 am

Butterflies also symbolize rebirth and transformation. I love them, too.

• Reply meandering pearl March 5, 2011 at 10:48 am

exquisite!!! i love your thoughtfulness of the animals you chose to share as well!!! lots of the loveliest things

• Reply Erin - The Smallest Sparrow March 5, 2011 at 5:07 pm

Too funny! I did a tutorial for a similar project on my blog a couple of weeks ago. I used fabric, though and mine are perhaps not as sophisticated and beautiful as these. Butterflies are all the rage and for good reason.

• Reply Tanja March 5, 2011 at 11:48 pm

Wundervoll, die hatte ich auch schon entdeckt ! Die muss ich einfach haben …;) lg Tanja

• Reply isavirtue March 7, 2011 at 12:05 am

what a coincidence – I just came across these last night through a completely different avenue (her butterflies and my butterfly stationery were in the same etsy treasury). what fun! these would look awesome in any room!

• Reply Lizzy @ Snarky Beagle March 7, 2011 at 3:18 am

These are so fun! I bought an exacto knife a few months ago with high hopes of creating things like this.

• Reply Julie March 7, 2011 at 7:04 am

My mom loves butterflies too. She once said those creatures remind her of how fragile and carefree she used to be when she was much younger. She wears them as lockets, earrings, brooches, and necklaces (not the actual things, of course). If there were a butterfly garden near our house, I wouldn’t be surprised if she would frequent the place too. Thank you for sharing these butterflies.

• Reply Michele March 7, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Hi Holly,
    I continue to follow your wonderful blog after many years! I too love butterflies and recently the Montreal Botanical Garden hosted a “live” exhibit featuring these beautiful creatures and wonderful flowering plants. (welcome escape as it is -10c and snowing here!) I am an amateur photographer and below is a link to my photobook of said butterflies, which I thought you might appreciate.
    Michele
    Montreal, Canada

• Reply 17th and Riggs March 7, 2011 at 8:29 pm

These are so beautiful and would be perfect for a little girl’s room!

• Reply Mary March 10, 2011 at 8:44 am

I love butterflies too. I always have. In fact, they’re one of the first things I made when I opened my shop! These are lovely.

• Reply Laura Bielecki of LuxuryInteriors March 14, 2011 at 1:26 am

I could see these beautiful butterflies in sooo many different aplications! Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Marianne January 17, 2012 at 11:46 am