Decorating Tips

Fresh Greens + Blues: Painted Furniture

March 8, 2011

I’m really tempted to paint a single piece of furniture in the house a minty beach glass green or a striking aqua right now. This obsession began over a year ago when I first saw a chippy country style sofa table on the blog of Fryd+Design… This one below, see?

Fresh Greens + Blues: Painted Furniture

via: Fryd+Design

I couldn’t get that image out of my head for the longest time, then one day POOF! it vanished but almost as quickly as I had forgotten it, I remembered all over again when I was at a store and saw a lovely old battered table in the same color. From that day forward, my obsession continues. Seems like a lot of people like just a smidgen of this color at home as an accent. Here are some recent examples that I found around the web.

Fresh Greens + Blues: Painted Furniture

Photographed by Nancy Nolan and designed by Tobi Fairley, shown in Traditional Home magazine via House of Turquoise.

Fresh Greens + Blues: Painted Furniture

Home of Jasna Janekovic in Germany via Tamar Schechner.

Fresh Greens + Blues: Painted Furniture

Urban Outfitters bookshelf, cabinet from Vita Ranunkler, cabinet from garden view cottage.

Fresh Greens + Blues: Painted Furniture

Stylist Tara Sloggett

Fresh Greens + Blues: Painted Furniture

ferm living.

Fresh Greens + Blues: Painted Furniture

Painted wooden stairs from light locations.
Fresh Greens + Blues: Painted Furniture

Le Versha Chair from Anthropologie

Fresh Greens + Blues: Painted Furniture

Debi Treloar’s amazing home in London (also available to rent as a location space).

Fresh Greens + Blues: Painted Furniture

VTWonen magazine

Don’t you want to run out and paint something quick!?

(images linked to their sources above.)

You Might Also Like

• Reply nina {nina renee designs} March 8, 2011 at 1:13 am

I love the painted furniture…but, hardwood floors and stairs…nooooo! lol

• Reply Aileen@Love&Lavender March 8, 2011 at 1:18 am

Looove all these images! I heart that mint green-aqua color big time, especially when it’s a little distressed and chippy around the edges!

• Reply Laura March 8, 2011 at 1:24 am

LOVE the fresh greens and blues!! Especially since we had another snow storm today. : P
    Color can make such an impact into the feeling of a space.

• Reply Adrienne Audrey March 8, 2011 at 1:54 am

I love these. I keep painting all my hand me down furniture and craigslist finds white. My walls are blue and I’m thinking if might be nice to paint a table in a contrasting yellow or green

• Reply janis - pinecone camp March 8, 2011 at 2:15 am

I do like a pop of that colour…almost any blue, actually. The turquoise kitchen table looks beautiful, and I always love the blue orange combo. Happy painting Holly!

• Reply Shari March 8, 2011 at 2:33 am

I’ve painted furniture before when I didn’t like the color… and I LOVE those pieces! My “desk” is an old painted farm table with drop leaves… The legs were kind of periwinkle and the top was kind of white, ha ha! It’s pretty old, but I left it that way.

That baby blue book shelf/cabinet you show is awesome!! I want it! And those Frenchy wire chairs are divine…. I love cafe furniture!!! My weakness! If only I had an enclosed yard….

• Reply Christina Diaz March 8, 2011 at 2:48 am

I love this grouping of ideas and photos! It really does make me want to go out and paint something! The staircase is my favorite. I have a 3 step stairwell that is begging for some love!,maybe this spring!

• Reply Christina Diaz March 8, 2011 at 2:50 am

ps- i work for anthropologie and those colorful chairs are even more lovely in person ;)!

• Reply Lindsey March 8, 2011 at 2:55 am

I Absolutely Loooove the aqua shades! Thanks for the eye candy.

• Reply the fabled needle (jen) March 8, 2011 at 2:58 am

i would love it if our cheap, black Ikea chairs were mint green. but there is no easy place to set up and paint them.

• Reply cleo March 8, 2011 at 3:32 am

I love the painted furniture!!! Was wondering what kind of paint is used? Acrylic?

• Reply Katie Truelove March 8, 2011 at 3:49 am

That is my absolute favorite color…I have never painted something mint but I am still keeping my eye out for the opportunity– thanks for the ideas:)

• Reply Sarah March 8, 2011 at 3:51 am

Beautiful post! Love all these pics. Aqua/turquoise shades are so lovely :)

• Reply Katie Bee March 8, 2011 at 4:03 am

I’ve been pinning interior elements in these shades on pinterest for days now! Ever since my husband selected a turquoise hue for our wedding (which, incidentally, ended up being the hot wedding color for the year), I’ve been a bit obsessed with aquas, mint, and turquoise. I love that light pink in the first image, too…I need some paint!
    Also, you should totally paint a table in that hue if you’ve been thinking about it that long!

• Reply meenal @ maison marigold March 8, 2011 at 4:36 am

Beautiful…all of them…I recently painted a chest of drawers a soft celadon…with some gorgeous ceramic knobs from anthropologie…it looks just gorgeous!! I really want…no make it ‘need’ those anthropologie chairs…they are something else!! thanks for sharing, Holly…see you on my blog sometime soon!!! xx meenal

• Reply Danielle March 8, 2011 at 4:40 am

The painted turquoise/light blue lamp in the Tara Sloggett image convinced me to paint a vintage standing lamp that I have had forever. Thanks Tara, where ever you are, for the inspiration!!! xx Danielle

• Reply A Casa da Vá March 8, 2011 at 4:59 am

Just go for it, this color is divine and it will make such an impact to any room! And yes, I do feel like painting aqua all around the house… just a lovely idea, thank you!

• Reply Amy March 8, 2011 at 5:25 am

Aqua/robin’s egg blue is my favorite color! I refinished and painted my kitchen table that color, I just got hand knit legwarmers in another version of it and I wear it in my accessories all the time! I heart aqua!

• Reply Amy March 8, 2011 at 5:30 am

Christina- what do you do for Anthro? I love love love it and would love to work in visual at my local store. I’m currently working on making paper flowers out of the newest catalogue. There is a page with a worn wood table top that has some cut up fruit and beautiful bright dishes on it, I love it! I’m going to start making a quilt for my bed and redo my bedroom and I want to use the color palette in that photo!

• Reply isavirtue March 8, 2011 at 6:04 am

that rug in the first picture is a great touch…such a perfectly harsh contrast!

• Reply Ylva March 8, 2011 at 6:05 am

love these pics, especially the first one! I also love to paint furniture, thanks for inspiring me to try some colours new to me: )

• Reply Penelope@thirdroomstudio March 8, 2011 at 7:02 am

These are great images, very inspiring – I’m thinking of painting our entry table a brighter shade – blue or yellow, but I can’t decide! These images are pushing me towards the blue.

• Reply Zenah March 8, 2011 at 7:11 am

I really like the style. It’s very unique and i like the color combination. A very wonderful choice for modern home furniture style.

• Reply Queen of Dreamsz March 8, 2011 at 7:26 am

I love the chippy turquoise table, the pink chairs and the white and blue staircase…it’s so fresh and happy!

• Reply Ele March 8, 2011 at 8:55 am

Love that first image- the green and pink are so sweet together, but the other elements (hide rug, rust-coloured chair) keep it all from looking twee.

I think just one piece of painted furniture can be so unexpected and chic in a room. I have a little end table which is crying out for a lick of fun paint, so thanks for the inspiration!

• Reply Stephanie March 8, 2011 at 9:31 am

These colours are pretty!
    I have a wall in my living room that is blue, but it’s too dark.

Still have to convince my boyfriend that the colour needs to be lighter.. but these photos will really help!

• Reply Mrs Bok March 8, 2011 at 9:40 am

Love pale green! And bright apple or grass green. All greens actually!

• Reply Meera @ firstsense March 8, 2011 at 11:12 am

It’s like you’ve read my mind on this post! I go gaga over beautiful painted furniture and these images are just gorgeous! I’ve painted some furniture myself – with superb results, might I add =) – and I can’t wait to have a bigger house to fill with old furniture that I can restore and paint.

Meera xx

• Reply Sarah March 8, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Hi Holly: The Tobi Fairley room inspired me to redo my bedroom, which I still have not done. I have already purchased the same orange paint for a bureau and I bought a lovely Sherwin Williams turquoise that I will be use for a bedside table (maybe 2, haven’t decided yet). I am waiting for the warmer weather to paint, since I don’t want the smell of primer in my bedroom!! I will post pics when I am done!! I love the turquoise!! :))

• Reply sabby March 8, 2011 at 1:31 pm

I few months ago I was inspired by a aqua green table on the front cover of Real Living Australia. I went straight out and bought the colour and painted by coffee table and TV unit. I love it.

• Reply Julie March 8, 2011 at 1:52 pm

These are really gorgeous and I will use this post as reference for when it comes time to decorate my sewing room! I truly can’t wait. I envision a room with pieces of this type, lovely pastels sprinkled throughout the room with a white background. I hope that the white, or a shade or two off white will help brighten the room as well as help me see the true colour of the fabrics I use! Lovely post and photos, thank you!

• Reply Allison March 8, 2011 at 2:37 pm

It’s like you read my mind with this post! I think almost all of these images are featured in my pinterest – my problem that this doesn’t mesh at ALL with our current decor, so a small paint job would turn into an apartment overhaul…

• Reply BohèmeCircus March 8, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I like the freshness which gets of these photos. This color opens the door of the spring, of the beautiful days. It is as a way to say us it’s time to go out of the winter. A way to be into the lightness of a sunny day. To see and listen the simplicity of the little things of the life. This post gives us a lot of energy, thank you to you for it !

• Reply Mariela March 8, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Lovely colors, I really like the first image and the pale blue. Everything looks very fresh and calm.

• Reply Christina March 8, 2011 at 3:04 pm

I LOVE the minty green color. A while back I bought three quirky little child-sized chairs and I have been contemplating painting them all a light minty green color to unify them.

The best part is that I have no children and probably won’t start a family for several years yet. But when I do they’ll have cute little chairs!

• Reply Samira Reyes March 8, 2011 at 3:18 pm

Yes!!! but i am not as creative though

• Reply Christine @ Mai Autumn March 8, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Goodness! These are gorgeous pieces! I am definitely itchin’ to paint something now :) Thanks for making my day a little brighter, Holly!

• Reply Ariadna March 8, 2011 at 4:00 pm

Hello!!! I love this colour. Congratulations for your blog. I follow.

• Reply Laura@JourneyChic March 8, 2011 at 4:03 pm

I love the orange and aqua combo – it’s so refreshing! If I had a beach house this is the color scheme I’d want to start with.

• Reply Mina March 8, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I loooove painted furniture! Thank you for this post. My heart went pitter patter!

• Reply Lisa March 8, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Love this so much! All of the photos are loaded with ideas, but I have to say that the painted silverware in the ferm living shot just kills me! So cool! And that would be super easy to try and not worry about messing up — I’m good at messing up, ha ha ha. I can see making something and hanging it in my kitchen — can’t wait to try! :)

• Reply Vanessa Elizabeth l Ruffled Rose March 8, 2011 at 4:25 pm

Those chairs from Anthropologie are darling, but I’m not sure how comfortable they would be. I’m such a fan of painted furniture. It’s an easy way to change up the look of a something quite easily.

• Reply claire March 8, 2011 at 5:20 pm

These rooms are delicious! :)

• Reply cathie March 8, 2011 at 6:03 pm

These bright, whimsical colors remind me of summer and the beach and give each room such a cheerful, happy feel. Love em!

• Reply Asiye March 8, 2011 at 6:04 pm

oh my!
    if you would have just told me about it- i would have said thats so not my thing…. i am more into neutrals…..
    but i just changed my mind! i want some of this!!!

• Reply Giulia March 8, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Love the rooms. I have a pale blue painted old chair in my dining room that we pull up along with our parsons chairs if we need more seating. It has all the gorgeous chips on it and I love it.

• Reply HazyLace March 8, 2011 at 6:54 pm

This is the first time I’m visiting your blog. And loving it! :) Just beautiful. Definitely coming back.

• Reply Making Happy March 8, 2011 at 7:27 pm

LOVE the coral frames and frames within frames on the wall! Very inspiring! Thanks!

• Reply Cristina March 8, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I love the light blue color palette (aqua, turqoise etc..)!

• Reply Jennifer March 8, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Painted furniture adds so much personality to a room. I am inspired…again. Thank you.

• Reply Jeanne/Vintage Renewal March 8, 2011 at 8:42 pm

LOVE everything!!!

• Reply ideasdecor March 8, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Love these colors chairs from Anthropologie!!:)

• Reply Haylee March 8, 2011 at 9:28 pm

I am so in love with those new La Versha chairs from Anthropologie. When I saw them in their catalog, I just about died.
    I wish I lived in London just so I could visit Debi Treloar’s home. So amazing!

• Reply Anna March 8, 2011 at 9:34 pm

Thanks for the inspiration!

I was actually just making plans to paint an old dining-room chair blue!

Your blog brings such happiness to my long workdays!

• Reply N.Hopkins March 8, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Wow, I love the blue stripe running along the stairs! I’m doing this in my home.

• Reply louise March 8, 2011 at 10:26 pm

I know you were writing about the blue furniture, (which I love, don’t get me wrong) but I love love love the coral frames! I need a collage of family photos of our family at our beach house, but just used cheap Ikea frames. Didn’t want to spend too much in case it got blown away in a hurricane… But I totally want to redo it in this style with the fancy frames painted this coral color! Ohhh, I can’t wait until our next trip to the beach!

• Reply Lisa's Creative Home March 8, 2011 at 10:55 pm

About a year or so ago I fell in love with the color aqua. It is just so soothing and cheerful at the same time. I’ve gone crazy with it in my livingroom and kitchen. I love to pair it up with red. Aqua fits very well in a beach or country cottage inspired home. Love it!

• Reply carrie March 8, 2011 at 11:33 pm

love the aqua! gorgeous!

I tried to paint our old bedroom aqua, but got the wrrrong shade. It was known as the toothpaste room :/ I was mocked.

Learning from mistakes… now we have a few small aqua pieces and few walls with aqua-gray ;)

• Reply Rachel March 8, 2011 at 11:56 pm

LOVE this post! There are probably 5 pieces that i would buy on the spot if i ran into them… i definitely want a blue kitchen table now :)

• Reply Sarah March 9, 2011 at 12:57 am

I love the turquoise color too! I have to stop myself from painting everything that color! I have a small side table especially in mind…I say go for it Holly!

• Reply Desha March 9, 2011 at 1:50 am

oooh, I love these pale colors, the aqua cabinets and the pink chairs, and the bolder tangerine frames. lovely. i want to paint my upstairs bedroom floors, but kinda scared. does it go with regular hardwood in the hallway??

• Reply Plum Pretty Sugar Loungerie March 9, 2011 at 6:17 am

Oh my! Those lovely pastel chairs!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente March 9, 2011 at 6:24 am

TOTALLY~ I love this color and this does make me want to run out and paint something with it! Though I am always wanting to paint things in my house….so, nothing new there! :) Thanks for the inspiration hun!

• Reply Rocio Rincon March 9, 2011 at 6:53 am

I love the Le Versha Chairs from Anthropologie!!! Cool colors!

• Reply Siobhán March 9, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I couldn’t believe my luck when I found a vintage turquoise rocking chair on Kijiji (German Craigslist) for only EUR 12,- !!! It’s my pride and joy :-)

• Reply brittni: papernstitch March 9, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I love painted furniture! But it’s all about choosing the right color, isn’t it? I’ve done this a bunch of times and had to paint over the original color with something else, because the first didn’t work. Maybe that’s just poor planning on my part. Hehe. In any event, I love this roundup Holly. My favorite is the last one: armoire with the flowers. Very nice!

• Reply Ginger March 9, 2011 at 6:48 pm

I have one cabinet that my dad built out of salvaged wood in a deep turquoise. I love it. I think it is such a happy color. We could all use a touch of playful happiness in our homes.

• Reply handz March 9, 2011 at 9:21 pm

I love this new Ferm´s kitchenware – it is made by great studio Darling Clementine.

• Reply Jami March 9, 2011 at 9:29 pm

I’ve been having a 3 year long love affair with turquoise and apple green – I cheered myself up a bit after my mom’s death by painting the living room a soft shade of apple with a big slice of turquoise over the fireplace to set off the mantle – it’s gorgeous when the sunlight streams in there first thing in the morning.
    I also bought a vintage wrought iron patio set last year and painted a brilliant turquoise over the old tired white paint it came in. It’s the centerpiece of my back yard and I’ve gotten tons of compliments on it.

• Reply Ruth Morrison March 10, 2011 at 3:17 am

Simply divine. Love this colour, and using it as an accent makes it stand out all teh more…so beautiful. Thanks for the gorgeous visuals, Holly.

• Reply Eva / Sycamore Street Press March 10, 2011 at 4:11 am

I love this look, too. Reminds me a bit of Mav’s table from 3191… although hers was a bit deeper turquoise.

• Reply elisa March 10, 2011 at 10:13 am

i’ve been painting my own furniture for the last few weeks, i love the transformation, it’s quite astonishing what a difference it makes. i’m fond of more subdued shades at home though, sometimes i’m painting dark furniture to make it less austere, more serene. i love the matte textures of the old european painted styles, and warmth of a beeswax finish. very inspiring x

• Reply Nicola March 10, 2011 at 11:50 am

Yes, I do: love this colour (love this post!) Can’t wait to check all the links, Holly! x

• Reply Beatriz March 10, 2011 at 4:00 pm

I’m preparing a post about this green cause I’m totally obsesed about it. Your’s inspire so much.
    Thanks Holly.
    See ya in class ;)

• Reply Kylo Chua March 11, 2011 at 6:13 am

Thanks for the help with color combinations on many of your posts, they’re very inspirational in the visual sense. I really like the light tones of the painted furniture. Colors really blend well together!

• Reply Laura Bielecki of LuxuryInteriors March 14, 2011 at 1:24 am

I love painted furniture and Tobi Fairley has such an exquisite color sense!

• Reply Hannah // English Sofas March 14, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I love the staircase, such a gorgeous blue.

• Reply Lisa- id homes March 17, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I love pastel shades especially at this time of year.
    With Easter just around the corner shops are filled with pastel coloured goodies and painting a piece of furniture is such a great idea to incorporate these colours without making the room to sugary sweet!

• Reply roomenvy March 17, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Oooh! What a lovely collection! Love the coral frames and the blue wall/blue shelves.

• Reply sarah October 26, 2013 at 5:01 am