Fresh Greens + Blues: Painted Furniture

I’m really tempted to paint a single piece of furniture in the house a minty beach glass green or a striking aqua right now. This obsession began over a year ago when I first saw a chippy country style sofa table on the blog of Fryd+Design… This one below, see?

via: Fryd+Design

I couldn’t get that image out of my head for the longest time, then one day POOF! it vanished but almost as quickly as I had forgotten it, I remembered all over again when I was at a store and saw a lovely old battered table in the same color. From that day forward, my obsession continues. Seems like a lot of people like just a smidgen of this color at home as an accent. Here are some recent examples that I found around the web.

Photographed by Nancy Nolan and designed by Tobi Fairley, shown in Traditional Home magazine via House of Turquoise.

Home of Jasna Janekovic in Germany via Tamar Schechner.

Urban Outfitters bookshelf, cabinet from Vita Ranunkler, cabinet from garden view cottage.

Stylist Tara Sloggett

ferm living.

Painted wooden stairs from light locations.

Le Versha Chair from Anthropologie

Debi Treloar’s amazing home in London (also available to rent as a location space).

VTWonen Inspired

VTWonen magazine

Don’t you want to run out and paint something quick!?

(images linked to their sources above.)

Posted by decor8 in Decorating Tips on March 08, 2011

1. nina {nina renee designs} commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 1:13am

I love the painted furniture…but, hardwood floors and stairs…nooooo! lol
    nina {nina renee designs}´s last blog post ..Affordable Glam White by Vera Wang

2. Aileen@Love&Lavender commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 1:18am

Looove all these images! I heart that mint green-aqua color big time, especially when it’s a little distressed and chippy around the edges!

3. Laura commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 1:24am

LOVE the fresh greens and blues!! Especially since we had another snow storm today. : P
    Color can make such an impact into the feeling of a space.

4. Adrienne Audrey commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 1:54am

I love these. I keep painting all my hand me down furniture and craigslist finds white. My walls are blue and I’m thinking if might be nice to paint a table in a contrasting yellow or green
    Adrienne Audrey´s last blog post ..Gluten Free Vegan Chocolate Waffles

5. janis - pinecone camp commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 2:15am

I do like a pop of that colour…almost any blue, actually. The turquoise kitchen table looks beautiful, and I always love the blue orange combo. Happy painting Holly!
    janis – pinecone camp´s last blog post ..Baked

6. Shari commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 2:33am

I’ve painted furniture before when I didn’t like the color… and I LOVE those pieces! My “desk” is an old painted farm table with drop leaves… The legs were kind of periwinkle and the top was kind of white, ha ha! It’s pretty old, but I left it that way.

That baby blue book shelf/cabinet you show is awesome!! I want it! And those Frenchy wire chairs are divine…. I love cafe furniture!!! My weakness! If only I had an enclosed yard….
    Shari´s last blog post ..Following Your Dream

7. Christina Diaz commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 2:48am

I love this grouping of ideas and photos! It really does make me want to go out and paint something! The staircase is my favorite. I have a 3 step stairwell that is begging for some love!,maybe this spring!
    Christina Diaz´s last blog post ..Around the House

8. Christina Diaz commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 2:50am

ps- i work for anthropologie and those colorful chairs are even more lovely in person ;)!
    Christina Diaz´s last blog post ..Around the House

9. Lindsey commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 2:55am

I Absolutely Loooove the aqua shades! Thanks for the eye candy.

10. the fabled needle (jen) commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 2:58am

i would love it if our cheap, black Ikea chairs were mint green. but there is no easy place to set up and paint them.
    the fabled needle (jen)´s last blog post ..Because Ira Glass Says So

11. cleo commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 3:32am

I love the painted furniture!!! Was wondering what kind of paint is used? Acrylic?

12. Katie Truelove commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 3:49am

That is my absolute favorite color…I have never painted something mint but I am still keeping my eye out for the opportunity– thanks for the ideas:)
    Katie Truelove´s last blog post ..Kimchi Fried Rice

13. Sarah commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 3:51am

Beautiful post! Love all these pics. Aqua/turquoise shades are so lovely :)

14. Katie Bee commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 4:03am

I’ve been pinning interior elements in these shades on pinterest for days now! Ever since my husband selected a turquoise hue for our wedding (which, incidentally, ended up being the hot wedding color for the year), I’ve been a bit obsessed with aquas, mint, and turquoise. I love that light pink in the first image, too…I need some paint!
    Also, you should totally paint a table in that hue if you’ve been thinking about it that long!
    Katie Bee´s last blog post ..pay it forward

15. meenal @ maison marigold commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 4:36am

Beautiful…all of them…I recently painted a chest of drawers a soft celadon…with some gorgeous ceramic knobs from anthropologie…it looks just gorgeous!! I really want…no make it ‘need’ those anthropologie chairs…they are something else!! thanks for sharing, Holly…see you on my blog sometime soon!!! xx meenal
    meenal @ maison marigold´s last blog post ..A gift from Paris

16. Danielle commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 4:40am

The painted turquoise/light blue lamp in the Tara Sloggett image convinced me to paint a vintage standing lamp that I have had forever. Thanks Tara, where ever you are, for the inspiration!!! xx Danielle
    Danielle´s last blog post ..Color Recall- The 1970s

17. A Casa da Vá commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 4:59am

Just go for it, this color is divine and it will make such an impact to any room! And yes, I do feel like painting aqua all around the house… just a lovely idea, thank you!
    A Casa da Vá´s last blog post ..Experiencing Carnaval in Rio de Janeiro

18. Amy commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 5:25am

Aqua/robin’s egg blue is my favorite color! I refinished and painted my kitchen table that color, I just got hand knit legwarmers in another version of it and I wear it in my accessories all the time! I heart aqua!
    Amy´s last blog post ..Oh Boy! A Contest!

19. Amy commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 5:30am

Christina- what do you do for Anthro? I love love love it and would love to work in visual at my local store. I’m currently working on making paper flowers out of the newest catalogue. There is a page with a worn wood table top that has some cut up fruit and beautiful bright dishes on it, I love it! I’m going to start making a quilt for my bed and redo my bedroom and I want to use the color palette in that photo!

Amy´s last blog post ..Oh Boy! A Contest!

20. isavirtue commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 6:04am

that rug in the first picture is a great touch…such a perfectly harsh contrast!

21. Ylva commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 6:05am

love these pics, especially the first one! I also love to paint furniture, thanks for inspiring me to try some colours new to me: )

22. Penelope@thirdroomstudio commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 7:02am

These are great images, very inspiring – I’m thinking of painting our entry table a brighter shade – blue or yellow, but I can’t decide! These images are pushing me towards the blue.

23. Zenah commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 7:11am

I really like the style. It’s very unique and i like the color combination. A very wonderful choice for modern home furniture style.

24. Queen of Dreamsz commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 7:26am

I love the chippy turquoise table, the pink chairs and the white and blue staircase…it’s so fresh and happy!

25. Ele commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 8:55am

Love that first image- the green and pink are so sweet together, but the other elements (hide rug, rust-coloured chair) keep it all from looking twee.

I think just one piece of painted furniture can be so unexpected and chic in a room. I have a little end table which is crying out for a lick of fun paint, so thanks for the inspiration!
    Ele´s last blog post ..Not So Green Veg

26. Stephanie commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 9:31am

These colours are pretty!
    I have a wall in my living room that is blue, but it’s too dark.

Still have to convince my boyfriend that the colour needs to be lighter.. but these photos will really help!

Cheers

27. Mrs Bok commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 9:40am

Love pale green! And bright apple or grass green. All greens actually!
    Mrs Bok´s last blog post ..Lavender

28. Meera @ firstsense commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 11:12am

It’s like you’ve read my mind on this post! I go gaga over beautiful painted furniture and these images are just gorgeous! I’ve painted some furniture myself – with superb results, might I add =) – and I can’t wait to have a bigger house to fill with old furniture that I can restore and paint.

Meera xx
    Meera @ firstsense´s last blog post ..Bookish spaces

29. Sarah commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 12:29pm

Hi Holly: The Tobi Fairley room inspired me to redo my bedroom, which I still have not done. I have already purchased the same orange paint for a bureau and I bought a lovely Sherwin Williams turquoise that I will be use for a bedside table (maybe 2, haven’t decided yet). I am waiting for the warmer weather to paint, since I don’t want the smell of primer in my bedroom!! I will post pics when I am done!! I love the turquoise!! :))
    Sarah´s last blog post ..Crane &amp Cothe art of writing

30. sabby commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 1:31pm

I few months ago I was inspired by a aqua green table on the front cover of Real Living Australia. I went straight out and bought the colour and painted by coffee table and TV unit. I love it.

31. Julie commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 1:52pm

These are really gorgeous and I will use this post as reference for when it comes time to decorate my sewing room! I truly can’t wait. I envision a room with pieces of this type, lovely pastels sprinkled throughout the room with a white background. I hope that the white, or a shade or two off white will help brighten the room as well as help me see the true colour of the fabrics I use! Lovely post and photos, thank you!
    Julie´s last blog post ..New Lovelies!

32. Allison commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 2:37pm

It’s like you read my mind with this post! I think almost all of these images are featured in my pinterest – my problem that this doesn’t mesh at ALL with our current decor, so a small paint job would turn into an apartment overhaul…

33. BohèmeCircus commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 2:51pm

I like the freshness which gets of these photos. This color opens the door of the spring, of the beautiful days. It is as a way to say us it’s time to go out of the winter. A way to be into the lightness of a sunny day. To see and listen the simplicity of the little things of the life. This post gives us a lot of energy, thank you to you for it !
    BohèmeCircus´s last blog post ..La course du temps

34. Mariela commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 2:55pm

Lovely colors, I really like the first image and the pale blue. Everything looks very fresh and calm.

35. Christina commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 3:04pm

I LOVE the minty green color. A while back I bought three quirky little child-sized chairs and I have been contemplating painting them all a light minty green color to unify them.

The best part is that I have no children and probably won’t start a family for several years yet. But when I do they’ll have cute little chairs!
    Christina´s last blog post ..Photographer Spotlight- Yuanling Wang

36. Samira Reyes commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 3:18pm

Yes!!! but i am not as creative though

37. Christine @ Mai Autumn commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 4:00pm

Goodness! These are gorgeous pieces! I am definitely itchin’ to paint something now :) Thanks for making my day a little brighter, Holly!

38. Ariadna commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 4:00pm

Hello!!! I love this colour. Congratulations for your blog. I follow.
    Kisses

Ariadna´s last blog post ..Ideas para la semana blanca -La vallée blanche-

39. Laura@JourneyChic commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 4:03pm

I love the orange and aqua combo – it’s so refreshing! If I had a beach house this is the color scheme I’d want to start with.
    Laura@JourneyChic´s last blog post ..Paper Dolls

40. Mina commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 4:10pm

I loooove painted furniture! Thank you for this post. My heart went pitter patter!

41. Lisa commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 4:18pm

Love this so much! All of the photos are loaded with ideas, but I have to say that the painted silverware in the ferm living shot just kills me! So cool! And that would be super easy to try and not worry about messing up — I’m good at messing up, ha ha ha. I can see making something and hanging it in my kitchen — can’t wait to try! :)
    Lisa´s last blog post ..Paper Source Grand Opening in Austin!

42. Vanessa Elizabeth l Ruffled Rose commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 4:25pm

Those chairs from Anthropologie are darling, but I’m not sure how comfortable they would be. I’m such a fan of painted furniture. It’s an easy way to change up the look of a something quite easily.
    Vanessa Elizabeth l Ruffled Rose´s last blog post ..TED on design

43. claire commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 5:20pm

These rooms are delicious! :)
    claire´s last blog post ..Warmly Ever After

44. cathie commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 6:03pm

These bright, whimsical colors remind me of summer and the beach and give each room such a cheerful, happy feel. Love em!
    cathie´s last blog post ..A little surprise

45. Asiye commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 6:04pm

oh my!
    if you would have just told me about it- i would have said thats so not my thing…. i am more into neutrals…..
    but i just changed my mind! i want some of this!!!
    Asiye´s last blog post ..Wanderlust

46. Giulia commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 6:32pm

Love the rooms. I have a pale blue painted old chair in my dining room that we pull up along with our parsons chairs if we need more seating. It has all the gorgeous chips on it and I love it.
    Giulia´s last blog post ..One photo a week – 10-52

47. HazyLace commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 6:54pm

This is the first time I’m visiting your blog. And loving it! :) Just beautiful. Definitely coming back.
    HazyLace´s last blog post ..Dreaming about summer Anthropologie

48. Making Happy commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 7:27pm

LOVE the coral frames and frames within frames on the wall! Very inspiring! Thanks!
    Making Happy´s last blog post ..Tropical And Exotic Tissue Box

49. Cristina commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 8:09pm

I love the light blue color palette (aqua, turqoise etc..)!
    Cristina´s last blog post ..Etsy

50. Jennifer commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 8:32pm

Painted furniture adds so much personality to a room. I am inspired…again. Thank you.
    Jennifer´s last blog post ..Duralee’s New Spring Fabrics

51. Jeanne/Vintage Renewal commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 8:42pm

LOVE everything!!!

52. ideasdecor commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 8:45pm

Love these colors chairs from Anthropologie!!:)

53. Haylee commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 9:28pm

I am so in love with those new La Versha chairs from Anthropologie. When I saw them in their catalog, I just about died.
    I wish I lived in London just so I could visit Debi Treloar’s home. So amazing!
    Haylee´s last blog post ..Lookin Blue Buttercup

54. Anna commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 9:34pm

Thanks for the inspiration!

I was actually just making plans to paint an old dining-room chair blue!

Your blog brings such happiness to my long workdays!

55. N.Hopkins commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 9:51pm

Wow, I love the blue stripe running along the stairs! I’m doing this in my home.

56. louise commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 10:26pm

I know you were writing about the blue furniture, (which I love, don’t get me wrong) but I love love love the coral frames! I need a collage of family photos of our family at our beach house, but just used cheap Ikea frames. Didn’t want to spend too much in case it got blown away in a hurricane… But I totally want to redo it in this style with the fancy frames painted this coral color! Ohhh, I can’t wait until our next trip to the beach!

57. Lisa's Creative Home commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 10:55pm

About a year or so ago I fell in love with the color aqua. It is just so soothing and cheerful at the same time. I’ve gone crazy with it in my livingroom and kitchen. I love to pair it up with red. Aqua fits very well in a beach or country cottage inspired home. Love it!
    Lisa’s Creative Home´s last blog post ..A Beach Inspired Bathroom Makeover

58. carrie commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 11:33pm

love the aqua! gorgeous!

I tried to paint our old bedroom aqua, but got the wrrrong shade. It was known as the toothpaste room :/ I was mocked.

Learning from mistakes… now we have a few small aqua pieces and few walls with aqua-gray ;)
    carrie´s last blog post ..Nutmeg Goes for a Ride…

59. Rachel commented
    March 8th, 2011 at 11:56pm

LOVE this post! There are probably 5 pieces that i would buy on the spot if i ran into them… i definitely want a blue kitchen table now :)

60. Sarah commented
    March 9th, 2011 at 12:57am

I love the turquoise color too! I have to stop myself from painting everything that color! I have a small side table especially in mind…I say go for it Holly!

61. Desha commented
    March 9th, 2011 at 1:50am

oooh, I love these pale colors, the aqua cabinets and the pink chairs, and the bolder tangerine frames. lovely. i want to paint my upstairs bedroom floors, but kinda scared. does it go with regular hardwood in the hallway??
    Desha´s last blog post ..a glimpse of the Desha Show Intro!

62. Plum Pretty Sugar Loungerie commented
    March 9th, 2011 at 6:17am

Oh my! Those lovely pastel chairs!

xo

63. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    March 9th, 2011 at 6:24am

TOTALLY~ I love this color and this does make me want to run out and paint something with it! Though I am always wanting to paint things in my house….so, nothing new there! :) Thanks for the inspiration hun!
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Cheap &amp Chic

64. Rocio Rincon commented
    March 9th, 2011 at 6:53am

I love the Le Versha Chairs from Anthropologie!!! Cool colors!
    Rocio Rincon´s last blog post ..Thanks to God!

65. Siobhán commented
    March 9th, 2011 at 4:35pm

I couldn’t believe my luck when I found a vintage turquoise rocking chair on Kijiji (German Craigslist) for only EUR 12,- !!! It’s my pride and joy :-)

66. brittni: papernstitch commented
    March 9th, 2011 at 5:06pm

I love painted furniture! But it’s all about choosing the right color, isn’t it? I’ve done this a bunch of times and had to paint over the original color with something else, because the first didn’t work. Maybe that’s just poor planning on my part. Hehe. In any event, I love this roundup Holly. My favorite is the last one: armoire with the flowers. Very nice!
    -Brittni
    brittni: papernstitch´s last blog post ..DIY Lighting Project- Modern Glass Bubble Chandelier

67. Ginger commented
    March 9th, 2011 at 6:48pm

I have one cabinet that my dad built out of salvaged wood in a deep turquoise. I love it. I think it is such a happy color. We could all use a touch of playful happiness in our homes.

68. handz commented
    March 9th, 2011 at 9:21pm

I love this new Ferm´s kitchenware – it is made by great studio Darling Clementine.

69. Jami commented
    March 9th, 2011 at 9:29pm

I’ve been having a 3 year long love affair with turquoise and apple green – I cheered myself up a bit after my mom’s death by painting the living room a soft shade of apple with a big slice of turquoise over the fireplace to set off the mantle – it’s gorgeous when the sunlight streams in there first thing in the morning.
    I also bought a vintage wrought iron patio set last year and painted a brilliant turquoise over the old tired white paint it came in. It’s the centerpiece of my back yard and I’ve gotten tons of compliments on it.

70. Ruth Morrison commented
    March 10th, 2011 at 3:17am

Simply divine. Love this colour, and using it as an accent makes it stand out all teh more…so beautiful. Thanks for the gorgeous visuals, Holly.

71. Eva / Sycamore Street Press commented
    March 10th, 2011 at 4:11am

I love this look, too. Reminds me a bit of Mav’s table from 3191… although hers was a bit deeper turquoise.
    Eva / Sycamore Street Press´s last blog post ..looking lovely – Three Mormon Towns by Dorothea Lange

72. elisa commented
    March 10th, 2011 at 10:13am

i’ve been painting my own furniture for the last few weeks, i love the transformation, it’s quite astonishing what a difference it makes. i’m fond of more subdued shades at home though, sometimes i’m painting dark furniture to make it less austere, more serene. i love the matte textures of the old european painted styles, and warmth of a beeswax finish. very inspiring x

73. Nicola commented
    March 10th, 2011 at 11:50am

Yes, I do: love this colour (love this post!) Can’t wait to check all the links, Holly! x

74. Beatriz commented
    March 10th, 2011 at 4:00pm

I’m preparing a post about this green cause I’m totally obsesed about it. Your’s inspire so much.
    Thanks Holly.
    See ya in class ;)

75. Kylo Chua commented
    March 11th, 2011 at 6:13am

Thanks for the help with color combinations on many of your posts, they’re very inspirational in the visual sense. I really like the light tones of the painted furniture. Colors really blend well together!

76. Laura Bielecki of LuxuryInteriors commented
    March 14th, 2011 at 1:24am

I love painted furniture and Tobi Fairley has such an exquisite color sense!
    Laura Bielecki of LuxuryInteriors´s last blog post ..Grand Entrance Doors

77. Hannah // English Sofas commented
    March 14th, 2011 at 12:10pm

I love the staircase, such a gorgeous blue.
    Hannah // English Sofas´s last blog post ..Tackling the problem of toxic sofas

78. Lisa- id homes commented
    March 17th, 2011 at 1:57pm

I love pastel shades especially at this time of year.
    With Easter just around the corner shops are filled with pastel coloured goodies and painting a piece of furniture is such a great idea to incorporate these colours without making the room to sugary sweet!

79. roomenvy commented
    March 17th, 2011 at 5:44pm

Oooh! What a lovely collection! Love the coral frames and the blue wall/blue shelves.
    roomenvy´s last blog post ..Colour splash

80. sarah commented