Color Inspiration

Fresh For Spring

March 21, 2011

Hello friends, it’s Leslie here with Color Me Pretty for March. With all the heartache over the last ten days I wanted to focus on spring with the sense of hope, creativity and new life it brings. I thought I would revisit one of my favorite palettes, which includes pale blue, watery aqua, minty green, and splashes of dark coral. To change it slightly I added some chalky looking lavender. I have been seeing this palette in various forms lately and thought you may enjoy it.

Fresh For Spring

Cheerful poppies have been blooming in my garden and I decided to place these ones in a spray painted mason jar. I further decorated the jar with ribbon and a few strips of Japanese washi tape. Decorating some white floral containers with tape is simple, quick and adds a sweet handmade quality don’t you think?

Fresh For Spring

Fresh For Spring

Fresh For Spring

I was really inspired by the work of Thomas Campbell who Holly introduced me to in her post a few weeks ago. I couldn’t help but get back to my sewing machine to sew more paper together. I made some interesting wrapping paper quickly as well as some larger pieces I may frame and use as wall hangings for my home. When I did not have the right color of paper I used watercolors to create the tones I needed.

Fresh For Spring

Fresh For Spring

Fresh For Spring

Fresh For Spring

I filled my journal pages with pieces of freshly colored paper and photographs. I love having this record to go back and look at when I want to create something down the road and am lacking inspiration. My journals have always helped keep my visual ideas organized. They act as mini mood boards that are portable, easy to keep and refer to. Long after my tack boards have been cleaned off I still have my journals waiting neatly on the shelf.

Fresh For Spring

I hope I may have sparked an idea or two for you to carry out in some of your creative projects. Please take a moment this week to stop and notice the flowers of the season. Even if they are just the ones on display at the market! I will see you back here next month, until then take good care and thank you. – Leslie.

(images: leslie shewring)

Leslie

You Might Also Like

78 Comments

• Reply Luciane at HomeBunch.com March 21, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Wow!

You’re a very special girl! I’d love to know how to do things like these! Maybe I’ll try! :-)

Hope you have a wonderful, colorful and blessed Spring!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.

• Reply juliep. March 21, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Dear Leslie- thank you for the beautiful colors and inspiration, during these sad times. The colors and layout you chose reminded me of the hopefulness and renewal aspects of the season. Your post made my day!
    I love sewing papers together, but sometimes get carried away with layers and break needles midway through. I love how handmade/cottony papers look with stitches in them.
    Thank you again.jp

• Reply Ivy March 21, 2011 at 8:14 pm

As always… beautiful and inspiring with a touch of hope!

Cheers and Love
    Ivy

• Reply Paula Jo @ Home Decor | Outdoor Garden Decorations March 21, 2011 at 8:15 pm

These colors are just beautiful. I love the poppies in the painted mason jar, and the other bouquet also. Just lovely. You don’t have to worry that I won’t notice all the beautiful flowers this spring. I still have have the beauty of flowers in my yard and garden right now.

• Reply ClassiclyAmber March 21, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Ah, absolutely beautiful, Leslie! Love that you created your own wrapping paper. SO inspiring – as always~!! =-D

• Reply Ludmila @ creamylife March 21, 2011 at 8:18 pm

SO lovely! Adore these bright colors, they make me happy! Thank you, Leslie!

P.S. Happy birthday, Holly! :)

• Reply meenal @ maison marigold March 21, 2011 at 8:24 pm

beautiful flowers and amazing moodboard…what a lovely and practical idea! thanks for sharing, Leslie…have a beautiful week ahead!! xx meenal

• Reply Julie the Alkaline Sister March 21, 2011 at 8:38 pm

I’ve been feeling the same all week and this gloomy rainy weather doesn’t help much! Your post is like a sunny day, happy, bright and cheerful, just what the doctor ordered! Thanks for the lift! Love the combination of unexpected colours!

• Reply tinajo March 21, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I love the colors in this post, just gorgeous and really gives the feeling of spring! :-)

• Reply Iris March 21, 2011 at 8:49 pm

So great that you could find the strength to do all this ánd the BYW course in these confusing and insecure days. Thank you so much for the beauty you bring!
    Iris

• Reply Jane - jacaranda Designs March 21, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Leslie, your color combos are simply beautiful. I have some fresh cut freesias (purple and yellow) in my kitchen and you’ve inspired me to get my creative juices flowing and photograph them.

• Reply PATTERN OBSERVER March 21, 2011 at 9:00 pm

This is such a beautiful post! The colors, the textures, everything about it is inspiring! keep up the great work!

• Reply MD Interior Design March 21, 2011 at 9:12 pm

Oh leslie, this is all so beautiful – the watery aquas are just so stunning and you never cease to amaze me with your creative talents and love for colour. The colour combinations are so striking and the flowers and paper – I just love these. What a great idea to use paints to mix the hard-to-find-colours. You are truly an inspiriation leslie and your post has certainly brightened my day – thankyou so much for sharing you wonderful creativity with us. x Michelle

• Reply Brooke H March 21, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Stunning palette Leslie. The second floral arrangement would be a great wedding color scheme for spring/summer.

My thoughts are with you and you family. xoxo

• Reply Shelly March 21, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Such beautiful colors! I am going to print out the first print and hang it up in my kitchen. Just gorgeous. Thanks for the lift today. :)

• Reply Amanda March 21, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Nothing says spring like poppies in a mason jar! Love the fresh color palette :)

• Reply Kristyne March 21, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Oh this palette is so lovely. It makes me think of Easter – grown up style! I love how the little hits of warm tones really pop against the cool colors. As always, thank you for sharing your colorful talents :)

• Reply melissa March 21, 2011 at 9:46 pm

beautiful! I think my favorite to date.
    … thinking of you, your family, and the whole country of japan… to new beginnings!
    happy spring Leslie! @—>—–

• Reply Suzanne March 21, 2011 at 9:48 pm

Hi Leslie, Good to see that you have found the inspiration after all these horrible moments on tv-screens in Japan. It gives people hope. The colors you used are gorgeous and surprising. I never used purple and orange but now I see them at your pictures, I love them. Iwill try it at home with candles and flowers. Thanks for giving inspiration!

• Reply City Chic - Jamie March 21, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Oh thank you for your beautiful color inspiration as always! It is most welcome on a Monday!

• Reply Glenda Childers March 21, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Spring is just barely peeking its head out, here in Chicago. This beautiful post you have created, Leslie, is surely making me long for the full arrival of spring. Thank you.

Fondly,
    Glenda

• Reply Kiti March 21, 2011 at 9:53 pm

I think these colors will be my new spring colors in all…furnitures,clothes, food etc.:) amazing photos and compositions!

• Reply Design Elements March 21, 2011 at 10:03 pm

beautiful post! I was inspired by Thomas Campbell some weeks ago too. happy new week!

• Reply Michele March 21, 2011 at 10:10 pm

So wonderful to see another installment of Color Me Pretty!! I am constantly amazed at the fresh ideas and feelings you are able to invoke with your photos, Leslie. For example, in the second-to-last-photo (of buttons, tape and spools of thread,) I got lulled into the dreamy pastel sea of turquoise, lavender and white, and then the surprise pop of coral — like a SPOTLIGHT was turned on to that part of the photo. I LOVE your stylings and the quality of your photographs! I’m amazed that you continually come up with these beautiful ideas and combinations. Your creativity is endless! Thank you for brightening my day (after many somber days.) Your photographs are uplifting!

• Reply Lidyll March 21, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Hi there!

These pictures are beautiful! Just love Them! And the colors are oh so pretty!*smile*

…I am inspired!*smile*

• Reply Kate @ Travelmoon March 21, 2011 at 10:18 pm

I love all this bright and bold colors…perfect way to usher is into Spring!

• Reply Sandrine March 21, 2011 at 10:20 pm

AWww! Leslie is such a talented creative soul!We go into Autumn here but all these photos are just a delight in any seasons!Thanks Holly for hosting color Me Pretty!
    Sandrine x

• Reply Alyssa March 21, 2011 at 10:28 pm

I love it!

• Reply Alexis March 21, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this. Beauty and sunshine is definitely something we all need right now.

• Reply ingen vanlig dag March 21, 2011 at 10:47 pm

It´s so beautiful! I love these colors and the pictures are just perfect. I feel happy just looking at this. Thanks.
    /Kristina

• Reply SillySimple March 21, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Really great inspirational color palate, thanks for sharing!

• Reply Barbara March 21, 2011 at 11:02 pm

Leslie, those flowers look stunning! I am so incredibly motivated looking at your flowery compisitions! Purple and red tones look good for me. And washi! Gorgeous washi! Thank you for sharing such beautiful pictures! – Barbara

• Reply Rachel March 21, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Oh i love love love those colors! So spring! :)

• Reply Sarah March 22, 2011 at 12:05 am

So pretty and inspiring, I especially love the shot of the spools of thread and pastel tapes…it is SNOWING here in New England for the first day of spring, so we won’t be seeing any flowers soon!! My favorites are daffodils and I only have a small period of time for enjoying them.

• Reply Caitlin March 22, 2011 at 12:08 am

Wow, so so beautiful Leslie!

• Reply Christina Diaz March 22, 2011 at 12:25 am

I love the poppies in that first shot! I will have to keep my eye out for some soon, they are one of my favorites!

• Reply Miss Walker March 22, 2011 at 12:34 am

So gorgeous! Thanks for the inspiration! Miss Walker xoxo

• Reply Theresa(Miss Charlotte) March 22, 2011 at 1:11 am

Your pictures are so inspiring and dreamy! The colors…oh…delicious! I think I’ll spend tomorrow gazing a bit more at what you’ve created here and try to fashion something myself…thank you!

• Reply Katie Truelove March 22, 2011 at 1:13 am

Beautiful! I have never thought of this color combo before…

• Reply Stacie March 22, 2011 at 2:11 am

Breathtaking. Really beautiful and you captured spring perfectly!

• Reply Marilyn March 22, 2011 at 2:46 am

LOVED the purple and orange blossoms!
    Thanks for something so beautiful.
    Made my day.l

• Reply Kristin Johnsen March 22, 2011 at 3:09 am

Leslie – I’d LOVE to see a few pages in your journals that you talk about – to give me a sense of what it is you keep that inspires you – I LOVE love love your watercolor triangles – so simple yet so elegant. Thanks so much for sharing

• Reply Kylie Loy March 22, 2011 at 3:55 am

Nothing else to say again except so beautiful. It’s lovely to see spring colours, as here in Australia were in Autumn. Those poppies are amazing.

• Reply Angela Steyn March 22, 2011 at 8:35 am

Wow, these images are great Leslie! So fresh and full of hope and happiness. I particularly love the dashes of strong coral pink… it’s a colour I always associate with strappy sandals and painted toenails!

Angela x

• Reply Martina Simonic Adamic March 22, 2011 at 9:25 am

Beautiful colours… very inspiring. Have a great day lady’s! x

• Reply Cristina March 22, 2011 at 9:30 am

So nice! That colours combination is my favourite! :-)

• Reply Oksana March 22, 2011 at 9:35 am

very beautiful collages! and your flowers are so pretty! Very pity but here is snow blooming now:-)

• Reply Tania March 22, 2011 at 12:00 pm

your pictures are always so lovely and inspiring, those poppies – so beautiful, reminds me of my mom!

• Reply lynn March 22, 2011 at 12:31 pm

What a beautiful post. The photo of the poppies made me want to run and start a watercolor! Thanks for the inspiration. Have a great day!-Lynn

• Reply Alexandra March 22, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I really want to start such visual journals! Beautiful!
    Leslie, in the last image with your desk, there is a lovely pinned calendar sheet to see.
    It looks Japanese to me. Could you maybe let me know by which artist it is? Thank you so much!

• Reply Hazel March 22, 2011 at 2:31 pm

I love how your photos of flowers and photos of crafting suppplies complement each other– after further consideration I couldn’t help but notice how the two mirror each other. Beautiful, colorful, full of opportunity and adding brightness to everyday living. Love it! Thanks!

Hazel
    FifthroomLiving

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente March 22, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Oh Leslie….you lovely, talented, sweetheart , you. I swear, sometimes I wish I could just carry you around in my pocket. Your work makes me so happy and is the epitome of hopefulness. Knowing how hard these past 10 days must have been for you & yet, you still come through with absolute joy and beauty in your post. Not that carrying you around in my pocket would be much fun for YOU but, undoubtedly it would make my days that much brighter. :) Thank you for this beautiful & inspired post hun. I can only imagine what perusing your journals would be like….sheer inspirational heaven.
    xoxo
    Melis

• Reply Valentina March 22, 2011 at 3:46 pm

Beautiful! I was looking for some spring inspirational colors to create some digital papers, I wished I read this post before! Your colors combinations are awesome.

• Reply crt March 22, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Wow… these photos filled my lungs with air! Time to celebrate life and all that is new. Thank you!

• Reply Eyechartprints March 22, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Love these Palettes. These are very inspiring! Lovely art filled with Happiness. Thanks!

• Reply Lauren March 22, 2011 at 6:13 pm

I love this! Those poppies are insanely gorgeous!

Lovely color palette…i am definitely inspired by your fabulous work!

• Reply Manette March 22, 2011 at 6:21 pm

Leslie, this is just so inspiring for me today and I thank you for creating such a beautiful post to share. I can’t wait for spring and long to see the flowers in my garden in bloom again. Thanks

• Reply Julie March 22, 2011 at 6:35 pm

This is so beautiful. I am amazed that you can be so creative at this difficult time. I was in the blogging class last year, so I feel like I know you. You don’t know me, but I admire everything about you, from your organized studio to your lovely color stories. Thank you for sharing your amazing talent.

• Reply Shari March 22, 2011 at 7:14 pm

Okay, even though I’ve been lacking energy due to whatever I’m sick with (I have no idea, but it stinks!) I feel rejuvenated after reading your column today! It’s so refreshingly bright and natural and beautiful. I am so excited for the bulbs in my “garden” that are just started to poke out…. color soon!

You’re always an inspiration, Leslie. Thank you again!! xoxo

• Reply Shanon March 22, 2011 at 7:15 pm

Hugs to you Leslie! This is lovely, dreamy, full of spring, and full of hope.

• Reply Lydia Kimble-Wright March 22, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Dear Leslie, Your work is truly sublime. I love the colors that you use and especially the way that they come together into this amazing mood board. I am grateful that BYW introduced me to you and your work.

• Reply Lydia Kimble-Wright March 22, 2011 at 7:38 pm

My previous message was not finished so please do not post. I have a new iPad and am not used to it at all. Thanks.

• Reply anana... March 22, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I love your blog! …inspiration! congratulations!

• Reply Winter March 22, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Lilacs!!!!

• Reply journeyseeds March 22, 2011 at 10:16 pm

ooohhh….i love the flowers….it makes me wish for my june oriental poppies.

• Reply Anastasia March 23, 2011 at 3:19 am

‘Hope’ is always the way! – beautiful post Leslie…i do hope your family is all safe in Japan.

your posts fill me up with so much inspiration and joy!!
    stunning as always

• Reply Lene March 23, 2011 at 9:15 am

Oh…springtime is here….I love your photo’s…thanks for sharing !
    Lene

• Reply Jane March 23, 2011 at 11:55 am

Oh, Leslie. How you still managed to put together this gorgeous post in the midst of all your worry is astounding. You have a huge heart. I hope your family and friends are safe.

I am so delighted to have been doing BYW with you over the past few weeks. I have learnt so much and can’t wait to use it on my blog. You are such an inspiration. J x

• Reply Simone Jester March 23, 2011 at 11:57 am

How lovely!

Would it be okay if I posted some of your blog’s photos to my Tumblr, tumbloveliness.tumblr.com? I would credit you in each post, I promise. :)

Simone

• Reply decor8 March 23, 2011 at 4:10 pm

@Simone – YES of course, and you DO NOT HAVE to ask permission for this as long as you credit by name and link it’s perfectly fine. That’s how Tumblr works!

• Reply Diane March 23, 2011 at 4:33 pm

Leslie this post is amazing!! It made my day :)

• Reply ChervelleCamille March 23, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Leslie! Your colour arrangement for this post is very attractive AND attentive! As I kept scrolling, something inside me kept flitting. Beautiful arranging and photography! I can read the story you’re telling just by viewing the photos alone. Amazing.

• Reply Denise March 24, 2011 at 8:38 am

Leslie,
    I love all these pictures! The colors are lovely, and poppies are one of my favorite flowers. We are sprinkling seeds for the red ones throughout our front yard to give the neighbors a surprise in the fall. :)

Also, the cup and plate thingy on the desk in the last photo – did you make that? Have any tips? It’s wonderful!

• Reply Irene March 24, 2011 at 9:11 am

This is so beautiful, so cute pastel tones for all the decoration. Amazing!

• Reply Sarah March 29, 2011 at 11:32 am

I love the combination of blues & corals makes me think of the carribean or hawiai just the lift I need right now, the lilac looks fantastic teamed in with these colours very lifting

• Reply Drew April 15, 2011 at 5:24 pm

Amazing collection of colour! I am going to be checking back regularly. Also, I grabbed my favourite pic and linked back to your whole collection to share with everyone :) http://itsthatkat.blogspot.com/

Thanks very much for your colours and keep up the great work
    Drew

• Reply nicole July 10, 2011 at 11:17 am

What lovely colors and inspiring mood board ideas! This is what I need to kick start, as I’m at the stage of looking to make one but didn’t know where to start. The colors will fit right in with my new studio now!

Thank you so much for sharing, Leslie!

xx Nicole | OpusMuse

• Reply evaone August 1, 2011 at 5:37 am

oh what a lovely work of art… i love the idea of this post..thank you so much for posting it…