Livet Hemma Blog

March 29, 2011

Are you a fan of IKEA and currently toying with the idea to personalize some of your favorite pieces? I have good news for you! IKEA launched an inspiring blog in Sweden called Livet Hemma, or in English, Life at Home. If you open the page in Google Chrome you can translate the Swedish text into English so that you can read it. At Livet Hemma, they style and create inspiring images to inspire customers who shop IKEA to look at their products in a fresh, new way.I love the first image below because it looks so welcoming and not at all staged or like a catalog. And that is really the goal of Livet Hemma, to show how their products can look in a normal home mixed with other non-IKEA things. Lovely!

Livet Hemma Blog

Livet Hemma Blog

Livet Hemma Blog

Livet Hemma Blog

Livet Hemma Blog

Livet Hemma Blog

Livet Hemma Blog

Livet Hemma Blog

They also give pieces a different look by painting them, applying stencils, etc. to promote creativity. The idea is to think outside of the big blue box, I guess. :) Their REIDAR chair and RAST drawers above look just great. I think the only thing that can be potentially difficult to get your head around is that you cannot find all of the items in the photo at your local store. Lots of them appear to be vintage or from other sources so it’s a little frustrating but I still like the approach and think it’s quite fresh and even a  bit daring for a huge chain store. It is a nice tie-in to the IKEA Family Life magazine though, so I think it works brilliantly.

(images: livet hemma)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Anna @ Around My Table March 29, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Great ideas! It’s great to personalize the items from ikea.

• Reply Cassie March 29, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I’m loving the hand made touches put into each room. Thanks for sharing.

• Reply Gina March 29, 2011 at 4:15 pm

This is fantastic! We have a lot of Ikea furniture, and we just moved –so this is excellent timing. I’ll be checking out the site for inspiration on how to make everything work in our new space.

• Reply Samantha March 29, 2011 at 4:22 pm

I so miss IKEA, my nearest one is in france, am planning a trip soon though!

• Reply Kate @ Travelmoon March 29, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Very interesting! I will have to head on over there….One of my favorite things is to see how people repurpose Ikea furniture, and I also love to see it mixed in with other high/low furniture!

• Reply Adrienne Audrey March 29, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I like it. It doesn’t scream Ikea to me. I also love the locker unit in the living room.

• Reply Kira March 29, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Uh love it! Thanks for the tip :)
    I’m seeing myself spending a lot of hours in there.

– Kira

• Reply tinajo March 29, 2011 at 4:49 pm

It is a great source of inspiration! :-)

• Reply A Chic Critique March 29, 2011 at 4:59 pm

So glad I came across your blog! It’s absolutely darling! I love the design and the layout. So precious. I can’t get enough of Ikea!

• Reply meenal @ maison marigold March 29, 2011 at 5:10 pm

this looks interesting..even though we do not have ikea in sure can take inspiration from the blog..thanks for sharing, holly..xx meenal

• Reply ArticulateArt March 29, 2011 at 5:12 pm

The living room looks real nice~

• Reply meagan March 29, 2011 at 5:13 pm

oh very cool! I am actually heading to Ikea tonight and have seen quite a few ‘hack’s lately – so I love that Ikea is getting on it and encouraging ‘hacks’! Thanks for the share!
    the row house nest

• Reply hena tayeb March 29, 2011 at 5:39 pm

I personally am a fan of Ikea. I think that have some gret minimalistic peices that are easy to work with and as you said be creative with. And wonderfully affordable. I am not saying fill your home with Ikea but it is a great for a few peices here and there wonderfully illustrated by you.

• Reply Lis March 29, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Love it! I didn’t know about IKEA, but seeing their blog I liked so much… their pieces are beautiful *-*

Oh, it’s my first comment but I’d like to say that I’m from Brazil and I love your blog (:

• Reply gfandco-interiors March 29, 2011 at 6:16 pm

Thanks for letting us know about Ikea’s blog, it’s fab. I’ve just been playing about with it for the last hour lol !!!

• Reply Giulia March 29, 2011 at 6:59 pm

I really like this because I believe many of us do this already. We mix and match IKEA pieces because either we really like them, or we need a lower budget option. I think a lot of us out there tweak big box pieces to make them more personal. Great find.
    I still really want that black and white carpet even though I’m seeing it everywhere, but my IKEA does not stock it :(

• Reply Ele March 29, 2011 at 7:05 pm

Oooh, I blogged about Livet Hemma the other week, isn’t it just lovely? I was so surprised and impressed when I first found it – some of the spaces have so much character.

Does it ever seem to you that IKEA has a different brand image, or at least reception, here in Europe? Back home it’s often the butt of design jokes or seen as quite uncool, but Euros really seem to embrace it, and make the products their own. I’m not sure if it’s because it’s a Swedish company or what, but there seems to be less of a stigma surrounding the brand here.

• Reply decor8 March 30, 2011 at 12:18 pm

@Ele – I agree. In the states it is largely seen as a place to buy furniture if you’re a college kid but if you want “grown up furniture” you wouldn’t shop there. That opinion is one that shows that the person saying so lacks imagination and just wants to buy something to impress their friends by buying what is hip and cool. Sure, quality is an issue for some pieces but I’ve purchased very expensive handmade furniture that started to warp in less than 6 months after I brought it home. You have to be discerning when you shop and really see the potential in pieces I think — that’s the key to shopping anywhere but especially at IKEA. You also have to consider value vs. worth. And of course think about what you need and will be using the item for. If you need a huge storage closet that is in a guest bedroom and rarely seen, it may be fine to buy an IKEA one and put the money into an investment piece that will be in a room that you use regularly so you can enjoy it – for instance, an antique or something custom upholstered. I think mixing high and low is how to make IKEA work personally. If your home is only IKEA or at least lots of the pieces in a room are identifiable as being from their store, you are going to have a catalog “out of the box” store and that doesn’t really make it YOUR own home, does it? So the key, for me at least, is to mix and match, high and low, old and new.

• Reply Ingrid Jansen March 29, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Today I received THE BOOK! Yay I like it so much. Looking forward to have a very close look tonight in bed with a cup ot tea :)))
    It’s a decorat(reasur)e x Cheers, Ingrid

• Reply decor8 March 30, 2011 at 12:09 pm

@Ingrid – THANK YOU! And did you see your stool in there? :)

• Reply Catherine LES VIGNETTES March 29, 2011 at 8:32 pm

I like the first one too. Just simple living.

• Reply Camila F. March 29, 2011 at 8:37 pm

What a terrific idea! IKEA is the best!

• Reply Manette March 29, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Love the kitchen with the red chairs and that bed with the window and view in the background is amazing. I like the look, its fun and fresh.

• Reply Martina Fuchs March 29, 2011 at 8:57 pm

Hello Holly,

that’s a fantastic tipp – I like the pictures & ideas. It shows, that even with a small budget you can create wonderful space. That’s good to introduce to my clients too.

All the best from your BYW-Studend Martina

• Reply Jenny March 29, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Oh wow…that’s going straight onto my google reader. Just another reason to love IKEA! :)

• Reply Rachael @ Roco Rennie March 29, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Thank-you so much for sharing this – totally inspired now to re work my ikea pieces – agree it is a great idea for a department store to do this.

• Reply Sarah March 30, 2011 at 12:03 am

Thanks for sharing this Holly, I love IKEA and have always thought they were a little ahead of the game as far as big box stores are concerned. Some of their furniture is hard to incorporate into a home, but, I like that they want consumers to think differently and creatively about how to use a piece.

• Reply thejoyofcolor March 30, 2011 at 12:11 am

I Like it ! great idea, I always like to alter the things i buy
    that make it more “mine”
    Going to check it out

• Reply Janne March 30, 2011 at 12:13 am

I like IKEA. I really do. But I think this is a bit desperate of them. Although some of the images look OK, as a blog on interior design it doesn’t work for me. It feels like just another marketing tool for IKEA, and that’s not very inspiring. I think blogs are best left to independent bloggers, not corporations.

• Reply keenan March 30, 2011 at 3:16 am

I really like the navy and white style. Actually I had already this idea on my mind for my new apartment (the 3rd and last picture). I just took a fast look at the website (im going to check more later).

Here is a tip: If you are using Firefox just like me you can translate the entire webpage by using the “Google toolbar”.

• Reply decor8 March 30, 2011 at 12:04 pm

@Keenan – THANK YOU that is a great tip!!!

• Reply jessamie March 30, 2011 at 4:11 am

Love this post! I feel like i’m always trying to convince people of the Ikea goodness. I just made a trip this weekend and I started doing a post today when I saw yours, too. So I gave it a mention:

Hope you check it out!

• Reply Vicki (simply hue) March 30, 2011 at 4:39 am

Thanks for the link, Holly! We are moving in few months to a small condo. near Seattle and I told my husband I’d like to shop at Ikea, Dania, and antique shops for our furniture. xo

• Reply Paula March 30, 2011 at 6:00 am

I really love that red desk. I’ve been saving a version of Sarah Richardson’s episode where she does a home office in red because I loved it so much!

• Reply Penelope@thirdroomstudio March 30, 2011 at 7:03 am

Thanks for the great link – I’ve been scanning through their site and finding lots of inspiration. It’s great to see that such a big brand as Ikea is open to seeing their products in new ways, and supports its customers to do the same. As usual, the children’s products look wonderful.

• Reply isavirtue March 30, 2011 at 7:12 am

ooo i’d like to know more about that newspaper dresser.

also, i would like windows that big and wide in my bedroom.

but….then i’d have to live in the country and i don’t want to do that.

scratch that.

• Reply bianca of terri planty March 30, 2011 at 7:22 am

i always love a new blog!

• Reply Margarita Lorenzo March 31, 2011 at 12:55 pm

I totally agree with this last post, I am glad to see ikea joining the mix and match style, eras and price wise furniture and decoration, I don’t like a style based on a solo brand or date, they are following teh current trend and what customers are looking for, they have been very clever marketing their products this way!!

• Reply Melissa Lewis - Midwest Magnolia April 6, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Finally. I love ikea and love to shop the catalog. There isn’t one in my city, but one in a drivable distance. With images like these, I am more inclined to take the drive to go shopping and come home with some goodies:) Thanks for sharing this!

• Reply Mey April 10, 2011 at 8:41 am

Wow, thanks a lot for this info! That looks gorgeous… I had never really thought about ‘distressing’ Ikea furniture, but now I see things differently, and I love the ‘old’ metal case!

• Reply Noora February 18, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Do you still have the original address of the fourth picture (the one with the red desk)? I LOVE the wallpaper and I’d like to ask where they got it from. Or does anybody else know what wallpaper that is?

• Reply Jason April 10, 2012 at 6:08 pm

Affordable and characterful framed art!

• Reply elli by studio34E July 19, 2012 at 3:51 pm

love this chair!i have already buy it!

• Reply Emilie December 13, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Does anyone know where the “gray” poster came from? That is my last name, so I would love one for my home!