Artist Jillian Tamaki For Penguin

These have been blogged a few times already but I had to throw my opinion into the ring because I was so blown away when I saw a link to these embroidered book jackets by Penguin, as created by illustrator and cartoonist Jillian Tamaki. Freshly Blended shared these in her Flickr stream and my heart started to race.

I am a lady obsessed with detail, and although the copies we purchase will not be embroidered like the original for obvious reasons, the point is that these are very special jackets in that they were created by hand before turning them into a book cover and owning one supports those who are commissioned to do such work for large companies — at least in my opinion. I love seeing these types of collaborations. I also like that Jillian shares her process on her blog right here with some “in progress” photos – something I always love to see.

What do you think of these jackets, are you also dying to order them?

(images: jillian tamaki)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on March 30, 2011

1. Danielle of Pretty Ingrid commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 4:03pm

These are so amazing! I’m really loving to see how artists are collaborating with publishing companies to design book covers. I’ve seen some truly special designs, and Jillian’s work is no exception! I don’t feel guilty for judging a book by its cover any longer ;)

2. Jess @ HouseSweetHome commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 4:07pm

Yes! I am dying to order them! I love nothing more than a beautiful book. I love those. Thank you for sharing.

3. Francesca commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 4:12pm

I completely agree with your comment about detail. I too appreciate this kind of attention and particularly in the context of literature, it’s lovely to see it. It disturbs me that the new generation of readers are gaining their experience through technological resources. As wonderful as it is that we are so progressed, I find it sad that children are learning to read from a computer rather than learning the joys of turning a page and bending a spine. These book sleeves bring a little of the magic back. Very charming.

4. sami commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 4:14pm

omg, these are so colorful and amazing. if i did not have an “i will not buy a book at full price, ever” policy i would totally buy them right now!

xo
    sami
    sami´s last blog post ..♥ all that is gold does not glitter not all those who wander are lost jrr tolkien

5. Desiree Fawn commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 5:49pm

Oh wow… these are beyond stunning! <3
    Desiree Fawn´s last blog post ..What Mama Wore- Spring Fling

6. tinajo commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 7:08pm

Wow, creative and fun – what´s not to love?! :-)
    tinajo´s last blog post ..Continuing to keep my promise

7. elisa commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 8:00pm

these covers are really wonderful! it’s incredible that’s handmade…i know how much time it costs. great!!!

8. Lesley Myrick commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 8:53pm

Oh my gosh, those are absolutely beautiful! I love that they’re done in a very classic fashion, but with a modern illustrative twist. Just lovely. :)

9. Rose commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 9:38pm

Holly – what a honey you are for bringing this to the fore. I just love it. I went to her site and the images are nothing but stunning. Although I have been decorating and designing for more years than I care to acknowledge, I am not crafty with me own hands. So, my heart fills with admiration for someone who can come up with this sort of talent.
    Don’t you just love all these wonderful ‘things’ that fill the interior spaces of our homes and our hearts? I do!!

10. Shari commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 10:00pm

I love the Secret Garden cover… I love the book as well! I think it’s always a great idea to support artists!! I have a soft spot for them, being one myself.
    :-)
    I’m glad you are an art supporter, and a craft supporter. It makes a big difference in the world, in my opinion! People helping people… it works its way around, doesn’t it?
    Shari´s last blog post ..Putting Together a Travel Journal Kit

11. Katie Bee commented
    March 31st, 2011 at 3:50am

I love these so much. I’m always aware of and deeply interested in the relation between textual and visual aesthetics (thinking about using this in my master’s thesis eventually), and definitely a sucker for a good-looking book. These fit perfectly. I might just go and order one now.
    Katie Bee´s last blog post ..Just Read – Never Let Me Go- by Kazuo Ishiguro

12. lesley commented
    March 31st, 2011 at 7:00am

i think they’re absolutely stunning. funny, i was just on her site ogling the details in the covers before i headed over here and saw this post! ;)
    i would love to have the books with these printed covers, they are gorgeous.
    lesley´s last blog post ..reserved listing for amanda

13. Alexis commented
    March 31st, 2011 at 8:26am

Those are so beautiful! What a gorgeous style, beautiful pieces of art. I definitely am tempted to order some :).
    Alexis´s last blog post ..French Inspiration

14. Casey Craig Art commented
    March 31st, 2011 at 1:00pm

Very creative and inspiring! It makes me want to touch them even though I know they are printed. I totally agree with Francesca, there is no substitute for holding a book.

15. Katie Truelove commented
    March 31st, 2011 at 8:26pm

Really and truly gorgeous! I also love that Penguin supports and partners with artists– what a great collaboration! I hadn’t seen these yet– thanks!:)
    Katie Truelove´s last blog post ..hello truelove baby cards!

16. Emma commented
    April 1st, 2011 at 12:04am

These are amazingly fabulous! I have been given several special copies of ‘Emma’ over the years, but this would by far top the list. So, so, so very pretty. I love her freckles and bonnet and wispy colourful hair. Love!

17. patience commented
    April 1st, 2011 at 1:21am

oh my gosh for a moment I thought each copy would be embroidered – thanks for explaining. still incredibly neat!
    patience´s last blog post ..i love letterpress

18. Jennifer commented
    April 1st, 2011 at 7:35am

You are right – amazing detail in her work. Such dedication and time. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Jennifer´s last blog post ..Three’s Never a Crowd

19. meenal @ maison marigold commented
    April 1st, 2011 at 9:17am

aren’t these gorgeous!! literature+art …a truly unique treasure!! xx meenal

20. Once upon a Time commented
    April 1st, 2011 at 11:59am

WOW! WOW! WOW!
    Once upon a Time´s last blog post ..THE ONE AND ONLY SOOTY

21. belinda commented
    April 2nd, 2011 at 12:48pm

i’m so in love with these covers. The creativity and cleverness some people possess astounds me. They could have been crappy books and I’d still wait patiently to buy them just for the covers. But it just so happens The Secret Garden is one of my fave childhood books – in fact, I recently re-read it – and I adore Emma. And, well, I’d prob get the Black Beauty too because odd numbers are better than evens and it’d be nice to refresh my memory about what that story is about (I get it confused with another horse story; the name of which escapes me…)
    So yes, can’t wait till these are available to buy.
    belinda´s last blog post ..april fools tricks to try tomorrow

22. Neena@ Practical Decorating Ideas commented
    April 3rd, 2011 at 2:28pm

Beautiful! What a gorgeous way to display the classics. The designs are original and fresh – and will definitely become a conversation piece, whenever guests arrive.
    Neena@ Practical Decorating Ideas´s last blog post ..The Curtain Came Down

23. nap atelier commented
    April 3rd, 2011 at 11:00pm

…oh yes, I’m in love with these!
    nap atelier´s last blog post ..BESPOKE FURNITURE

24. Covet Living commented
    April 4th, 2011 at 2:06am

I’ve actually always judged a book by its cover…it really helped encourage reading when I was younger. I love how she has transformed classical books and their covers to appeal to a new generation!
    Covet Living´s last blog post ..Spring- you’re such a tease

25. Belichek Craft commented
    April 4th, 2011 at 8:36am

Incredibly beautiful illustrations.

xo Belichek
    Belichek Craft´s last blog post ..Sunny Saturday

26. roberto | vinilos decorativos commented
    April 5th, 2011 at 12:22pm

wow!! the covers are very nice but I´m impressed with the original work. I didn´t know it can do design graphic in that mode. I love it