Est Magazine: Gorgeous New e-Magazine

I just heard from Est magazine that they’ve officially launched online and I’m so excited and pleased to share this stunning e-mag with you. I love it! I don’t want to gush too much but it’s a brilliant magazine, fresh and pure, and really fills a niche out there as you’ll soon see from the photos below – it’s relaxed and very stylish with a nod to the past as well as a welcoming hug to the new.

est magazine

Est was founded by Editor-in-chief Sian MacPherson and Creative Director Lynda Evans who source the world for creative talents of all types from photographers, designers, stylists, writers and trend spotters to include in their issue. I like that it’s interactive with links and videos, which makes it so much more interesting to me to read on a computer screen than a print version since I think that if you’re going to put the work into producing an e-magazine that you may as well add videos and links because the technology is there — and it makes the digital experience so much more fun!

In the online magazine world, I think Est is a refreshing addition that I’m sure will do very well – I’m already a fan and plan to read it regularly. Though I love print publications, e-magazines like Est can really stand out and stay fresh through interactive content drawing in those who want to see “behind the scenes” of articles for instance, or exclusive content. I think this video from Martha Stewart Living and Adobe explains exactly what I mean by all of this… it’s so inspiring!

This is definitely the year of interactive content from e-magazines to e-courses and I love what I’m seeing out there so far. What do you think? Are you for it, against, or somewhere in the middle when it comes to digital mags and while we’re at it, e-courses?

(images: est magazine)

Posted by decor8 in Books + Magazines on March 30, 2011

1. Will commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 12:04pm

I’m all for them (and this new edition is certainly welcome – just look at all that gorgeous eye candy!), but I think the digital mags that include video links etc. are, like you say, making the most of the technology. I’m tempted to save up and buy an iPad2 just so that I can read Martha Stewart Living’s digital edition on it!
    Will´s last blog post ..Mid Century Modern Living Room

2. decor8 commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 12:05pm

@Will – OMG me too – I’m dying for a white one. :) Do they sell them in London? I may pick one up tomorrow or Friday.

3. Andreia commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 12:06pm

Love this e-mag! Definitly one of my favourites! Became a fan too!

4. Jaclyn commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 12:08pm

can’t get enough of all this online mag love, inspiration overload and since I live in Sydney it’s right in my backyard! x
    Jaclyn´s last blog post ..Piha Perfection

5. Arianna commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 12:13pm

I am loving e- magazines and this one is gorgeous and so fresh I love it! I obviously love e-courses too having taken BYW ;)
    Talking of ipads I am dying for one I really want a white one so much, I mean I can see myself in bed reading these cool e-magazines on my soon to be (i hope ) Ipad. Holly they do sell them here unless they are sold out hehehe have you been to the apple store in Covent garden? that is really cool. My husband loves it there ;)
    Arianna´s last blog post ..David Collins MahaNakhon

6. Will commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 12:17pm

Holly – There’s the two Apple stores (Regent St. and Covent Garden) so you should defo try there, but I’d also try some of the smaller stores where less people are likely to try. There’s lots of computer stores along Tottenham Court Rd, so you could try there as well! Good luck!
    Will´s last blog post ..Mid Century Modern Living Room

7. Yiyi commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 12:17pm

Loved it! Especially the “real or replica” article. Glad to see some Australian talents!

8. decor8 commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 12:20pm

@Will – Oh sorry, I wasn’t clear — I wonder if the UK has the white ones yet? They just arrived in limited batches where I live and are sold out. :( I’ll do a quick search online to see, maybe I’ll grab one but now I wonder, does it have a built in camera? Hmmmm.

9. elisa rathje commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 12:25pm

clearly it’s the future, but i’m not so pleased with the structure of them yet. i find blogs much friendlier to move through – perhaps i just need practice, or perhaps there will be some developments in how they work. i wonder if they are holding on to ‘magazine’ too much for me – the reference back to the object itself might be preventing them from being easy to use. a blog was never attempting to be anything else. do you know what i mean? i get annoyed trying to get the whole image onto my computer to really see it properly. i shall have to try it out with an ipad and see if it translates better! i do love that i can click to follow things i’m interested in, videos, etc., i can see how things start to hurtle along, when you can go right to a website for a product…and i wonder how non-commercial ways of using this technology could experiment with it? x!

10. Will commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 12:27pm

Holly – It has camera in front and back so you can do facetime etc.! Re: White ones – I’m not too sure, I’ll keep my eye out for you.
    Will´s last blog post ..Mid Century Modern Living Room

11. Emma commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 12:28pm

I LOVE online mags…. we are all time poor these days, so while nothing replaces curling up with a real life latest edition of a fabourite mag, I can’t deny the easy access to just click into a mag is heavenly.
    PS. Adore my ipad and am utterly speechless over the Martha app. Fabulous!

12. Jennifer commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 12:38pm

it does have a built in camera- and video camera. I practically sleep with mine under my pillow- I love it so much. Especially the e-magazines! Except I still have to figure out how to save all those pictures I love so much in an idea file on the ipad- the digital version of my tearsheet inspiration folders!

13. HouseMad commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 12:43pm

Thanks for the tip off! Can not wait to read it.

14. tinajo commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 12:51pm

Looks really promising – will take a closer look! :-)
    tinajo´s last blog post ..I think I dare to believe

15. Afi commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 12:51pm

WOW!! I loved the idea of interactive magazines! Martha Stewart video was mind-blowing! Thank you for sharing Holly :)
    Afi´s last blog post ..Illustration Friday – Cultivate

16. juliette commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 12:58pm

I have to say I really enjoy all the interactive stuff. I think it could easily feel very ADD to some, but usually a magazine will feature about 3-4 advertisements or other information that would normally make me have to find pen & paper to write them down and then remember to go look them up later, but with interactive features I can just right click and check them out after I’ve finished reading the e-zine.

E-courses are great if organized well in terms of clearly stating what the instructor will and will not do, what the student is expected to do, and what all costs are. I really enjoyed your BYW class in early 2010 and it set the bar in terms of what I’ve come to expect/look for in other e-courses. Some e-course turn-offs for me are:
    * paying for a course that is only a .pdf file. That’s not a course, that’s an e-book.
    * courses that aren’t up front about costs. I saw one that was reasonably priced, but after almost signing up (and going through a lot of info), I realized I would also have to purchase several books and some rather expensive supplies. It’s fine to require these things, but please be up front about it and don’t make me dig.
    * courses that consist of a .pdf and chat room access that’s limited to other students and no real instructor.
    * basically any course that doesn’t guarantee me fresh and personal interaction with the instructor….this is debatable for some situations, but I realize time is money for instructors, so I expect to pay more for this feature. Instructor interaction is what makes or breaks a course IMO.

Sorry for the long comment, but I’ve been intrigued by how many new e-courses are popping up everywhere, however only a small percentage of them look well-developed/pitched to me.
    juliette´s last blog post ..Eggshell planters for spring

17. Nina Lamb commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 1:34pm

My husband queued for 6 hours last Friday to get his iPad 2 (he picked a white one – good boy). I’ve been loving it and looking at e-mags on it is pretty close to a paper mag. Unfortunately I haven’t been able to work out how to look at “Est” – it seems their website uses flash and that’s not supported on the iPad 2. The iPad specific version doesn’t appear to be out yet. Has anyone else had the same issues?
    Nina Lamb´s last blog post ..Lene Bjerre Design

18. Tatiana commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 1:36pm

Gorgeous!
    Tatiana´s last blog post ..Take me to the garden -frame-

19. decor8 commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 1:40pm

Flash isn’t supported on iPad? Please tell me that’s not true!??! How stupid of them!!!

20. Miss Walker commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 1:47pm

Love the whole idea of emags, especially when you can hover over items etc. and get extra content or click to shop…retailers would be crazy not to catch on! Also, love the idea of online learning!
    Will def be checking out Est so thank you for sharing! Miss Walker xoxo
    Miss Walker´s last blog post ..Designer Profile- Sarah Richardson

21. Kate commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 2:10pm

Hi Holly,

I wanted to stop by and say a huge thank you for the BYW course. I have to admit I am a little behind, but there is so much juicy information I wanted to take my time and really get the focus of my blog right. I cna see that the course is really going to be the thing that sets me off in the right direction. For anyone else who is thinking of doing the next course….don’t hesitate – you won’t regret it!

I’m off to have a quick browse through EST magazine….

Kate x

22. Sian commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 2:14pm

HI,

Thanks so much for you support with est e mag – can’t tell you how thrilled that we are that you love it!

I know its confusing with the iPad app – we haven’t released the app yet – waiting for itunes approval – it is coming though!

Est is all about suporting the blog community and we take our inspiration from you – the motivation to do what you do and the inspiration you give to all of your readers – we can only hope to emulate…

Thanks again for the beautiful piece – so honoured to be mentioned!

x Sian

23. Nina Lamb commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 2:48pm

Sorry, here’s Apple’s response to why they don’t support Adobe Flash: http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/
    Nina Lamb´s last blog post ..Lene Bjerre Design

24. Jillian commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 2:49pm

This new e-magazine look great….really different from what’s out there. I regularly watch Martha’s show, and when she debuted her iPad magazine issue, I made my brother download it onto his iPad for me. It was incredible, and I hope she does more. Then a few weeks ago, my boyfriend got me a refurbished first gen iPad. It was a lot less expensive and looks brand new. It’s great for reading blogs and twitter particularly.

Holly, the iPad doesn’t support flash and probably never will, as Steve Jobs is adamantly opposed to supporting flash. I haven’t noticed any glitches, and I browse all of my regular sites using the iPad.

25. Lara commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 2:51pm

It had me at that airstream/color extravaganza image! HOly crow! So great to find e-zines that (kinda) replace the void that Domino left…I still weep for that loss in the glossy world. As always, love finding the finds through your brilliant searches, Holly. You just rock. In fact, you rock TWICE.

Learned a lot in the BYW class, by the way…really helpful. Thank you!

Lara

26. Sian commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 2:57pm

just to clarify – we were aware that issuu was not supported in iPad – we wanted to release the mag in 2 versions – one that was pc friendly and one that was iPad specific – it was planned – and well thought out…

27. Katie - Coco Målé commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 2:58pm

This lovely post seems to have turned into a review for the ipad but hey here is my tuppence on the matter!!! My husband has the Ipad1 and although it looks cool and is great for games, watching movies etc, I must say browsing on it is not all that great. Sure enough big websites like the Times have ipad friendly versions, but there’s loads of other websites that don’t work so well or even open up! To answer your question Holly, no it doesn’t support flash and also little things like scroll down buttons don’t work on some sites. Maybe things are improved in the 2nd version though…
    Katie – Coco Målé´s last blog post ..Fab giveaway via Fuff!

28. Eva @ Four Leaf Clover commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 3:08pm

Thank you so much for sharing the video. It makes me want to get an iPad asap! I’m somewhere in the middle on how I feel about digital press. I love that you’re saving paper, but there’s just something about holding it in your hands. Martha may have gotten everything right in the video except… scent. Magazines allow you to smell certain things whereas digital, so far, doesn’t!
    Off to check out the magazine now. Thank you!
    Eva @ Four Leaf Clover´s last blog post ..Life tip 9- Read labels

29. Mallie commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 3:30pm

Nope– Java/Flash isn’t supported on the iOS platform… it is/was stupid of them… fingers crossed during the developer conference that’s one of the upgrades… so many e-books/mags work off of that technology– and other readers “read” it! Thanks for sharing, Holly! And so excited to see EmersonMade getting more international love!

30. ArticulateArt commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 3:33pm

Love the patio entrance! Clean and simple and beautiful!
    ArticulateArt´s last blog post ..Photography- Alberto Seveso II

31. Hazel commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 3:38pm

I love e-magazines. This is the second blog post I’ve read today announcing a new design e-zine, and I think it’s fantastic! They’re easier to store (anyone else have a mountain of design magazines under their bed, on top of their book shelves, next to their desk?), more interactive, instantly deliverable, easy-to-share, and beautiful when completed. Plus, the live linking and interactivity capabilities make them more attractive for advertisers. And, without financial support, publications can’t stand by themselves. I’m excited for the future!!

Hazel
    FifthroomLiving.com
    Hazel´s last blog post ..Great Color Combos in the Garden

32. Alison commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 3:45pm

Oh how I love this new rash of net based interactive magazines… and how my lack of an ipad niggles…

Oh and can I just say? Those green shutter doors? To die for.
    Alison´s last blog post ..Blogging Planner!

33. decor8 commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 3:49pm

@Mallie – Apple better get up to speed with the rest of the world — doesn’t make sense to develop beautiful things that we can’t use to do with what we need to do!

34. decor8 commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 3:51pm

@Sian – I don’t think anyone was upset, just curious as so many are buying iPads and I just found out after posting this that they do not support Flash technology and I’m sitting here a bit stunned in my seat! That’s nuts!!!

35. decor8 commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 3:57pm

@Nina thank you – that was great — I think a shortened version of that could be that he doesn’t want to support it for some underlying political reason and because they want everyone to play nicely within the world of apple and app sales and apple products to buy. I also learned that the iPad does not have a SD card slot or a USB port – which is crazy — because I wanted to shoot with my DSLR and directly upload photos from my camera to my iPad and cannot now. I just read this and also sighed: http://www.crunchgear.com/2010/01/27/apple-has-a-solution-for-the-ipads-missing-sd-card-slot-and-usb-port-adapters/
    I was once a PC user, I started using a Mac in 2005, and now I want an iPad only to realize that it won’t really do a whole for me. Sad really.

36. Shari commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 4:24pm

I won’t comment on the iPad, though my boyfriend has the new one. Enough said about it here!

I will say that I LOVE e-courses, or at least, I loved yours and Leslies, Holly! It was my first, and it was such a wonderful experience!!

I’ve never really checked out an emag, but I want to check out EST, which you just reviewed… the images look divine, and I love the idea of videos as part of the format!! Can’t wait to check it out for myself! Thanks again for sharing!
    Shari´s last blog post ..Putting Together a Travel Journal Kit

37. MelanieO commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 4:58pm

Wow, beautiful magazine! I will admit, though, that I do have some troubles with e-mags. I’m sure it’s just me, but when I zoom to read a little closer the magazine moves all over the place. Not just this one, all of them. Am I doing something wrong? I guess I’m more used to the blog format online & the magazine format in print. But I do still love to flip through e-mags :)

Another confession: I don’t get the iPad. I have an iPhone & love it, but I’m not sure I understand the usefulness of the iPad. I thought it might be nice for reading blogs, newspapers & magazines, but it sounds like the web isn’t quite ready for the iPad yet. Maybe that will change.
    MelanieO´s last blog post ..Working On Olive Swing Bag

38. brittni: papernstitch commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 5:45pm

I am 100% for it. I think its great to see so many people out there embracing the digital age with e-mags, ebooks, ecourse, etc. Sometimes it seems a bit overwhelming and repetitive when so many people are doing something similar. But I always love coming across fresh points of view. Thanks for introducing me to Est. It looks fantastic.
    -Brittni
    brittni: papernstitch´s last blog post ..Today I Love…

39. Kelly commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 7:20pm

Does the Est e-mag at all influenced by or have anything at all to do with EST (Erhard Seminars Training)?

40. kristen commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 8:41pm

can anybody tell me where i can find the oversized adjustable floor lamps like the black one shown in the last pic? thanks!

41. Mrs Bok commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 9:14pm

Oh this looks just gorgeous. Will have to go look as I can’t access it on my iPhone…love the freshness of the images.
    Mrs Bok´s last blog post ..Autumn gardening and progress on the ethical consumption challenge!

42. LeeAnne commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 10:32pm

This is a lovely e-mag! I am concerned, however, about it’s name. Est has a whole host of associations—some being quite negative. I couldn’t find an explanation of the name in the Editor’s Letter, so I am curious if it has anything to do with EST.

43. Amelia commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 10:44pm

Holly you can get a camera kir so your camera can be used with the iPad.

As for political reasons? I’m not so sure- flash is old technology. It’s buggy

44. vosgesparis commented
    March 30th, 2011 at 11:32pm

Goshhhhhhhhhh I am feeling really old fashioned … do you believe I still have a NOKIA 3310…. remember on MTV somewhere in the nineties that advertisement… when this guy screamed ‘call me’ … ‘call me on my mobile’ haha I really felt a hipster then…. I am just to lazy to buy a new one and I gave away the latest I got with a new provider … Eventually I will surrender..

The magazine looks like something I would like to have a look at ;)
    vosgesparis´s last blog post ..White gray and black

45. handz commented
    March 31st, 2011 at 2:32am

Those images are amazing!

46. Lo commented
    March 31st, 2011 at 3:50am

I’m on an iPad and can’t view Est. When I go to the site the page is just blank. So I guess I have to wait (and pay?) for the app?
    Anyway, I’m always excited for another e-zine!

47. luzy commented
    March 31st, 2011 at 5:14am

The black floor lamp is called Sirius… fashion4home.com i believe carries them, if not try a search for sirius lamps…
    Love it too! Luzy

48. Lelanie commented
    March 31st, 2011 at 12:07pm

What a great online magazine. I think it is a fabulous idea. I like that I can actualy flip the digital pages. It has given me lots of new ideas. I wish we could get something similar for SA. Maybe I should start it. ;)
    Lelanie´s last blog post ..A second chance

49. Margarita Lorenzo commented
    March 31st, 2011 at 12:50pm

Off to check this one!!! although do I need any more sources of inspiration??? I tell you i could spend all day browsing blogs, magazines etc…and what about my own work haha??? pls keep bringing them I will find the time for everything, I am cloning myself!!
    Margarita Lorenzo´s last blog post ..Of cabbages &amp Kings market

50. Victoria Hudgins commented
    March 31st, 2011 at 3:44pm

I completely agree Holly. Just launching my own ezine as a part of my blog site, links were very important. Not only did we link to the products and contributors, but I also included a list of 100 reasons to celebrate- links to other online inspiration for my readers. My hope was that this would give them an interactive experience not just with my work but with the vast array of online inspirations I look to as well.

PS. Video’s were a bit beyond us for this issue, perhaps if we do another- they are a lot more difficult to include than links:)

51. Amy commented
    March 31st, 2011 at 4:53pm

I love the style of Est Magazine. I also love the increase in interactive content. Since I moved to the west coast of Ireland when I had been used to living in cities, I felt like I had lost touch with the world of design when I first got here. Now I have entered the world of blogs and e-magazines I feel connected again.

Amy
    Amy´s last blog post ..Striking Stripes

52. Rachel commented
    March 31st, 2011 at 6:12pm

Oh great find! I love the look… very clean and fresh!
    Rachel´s last blog post ..Sew Rad

53. Darcy Davidson commented
    April 1st, 2011 at 4:34am

I love online magazines too, and if they are posting gorgeous ideas like this bathroom with the cove slanted sinks and stone vanity with the freestanding tub. I will definitely check out EST for more inspiration!

54. Casa e Cose commented
    April 1st, 2011 at 12:06pm

Lovely! Im totally for it! Brings interior etc to everyone with internet and saves lods of paper. Eco! I am one of those who loves crawling up in the sofa reading a freshly printed magazine but if there is so much loveliness on the net I should maybe just borrow my husbands portable and crawl up in bed instead. Thanks for the link!

55. Ana Seixas commented
    April 1st, 2011 at 5:08pm

Just love to come here. It’s always a pleasant surprise.
    Love your work.

56. david miller commented
    April 2nd, 2011 at 7:51pm

Sat by my pc last night, finger trembling at 9pm – the magic moment when you can reserve an iPad2 in UK. Wow! an available popped up in white, I clicked it said ‘ok’ but then the server all seized up on me and logged me off the site – tragedy!!! I will try again tonight but I dont hold out much hope. Oh what we do to grasp the ltest apple icon ;-)

57. patience commented
    April 4th, 2011 at 2:56am

i really like the look of this – it reminds me of “wallpaper” but maybe not as highbrow – which i like.
    patience´s last blog post ..a letter

58. banjart.com commented
    April 4th, 2011 at 11:52am

this is emagz will become source of my inspiration…. thx

59. Eva / Sycamore Street Press commented
    April 5th, 2011 at 6:15am

Such nice things! Thanks for the introduction, Holly. :)
    Eva / Sycamore Street Press´s last blog post ..Quote of the Week

60. Janet commented
    April 5th, 2011 at 7:17pm

First, thanks for the heads-up on EST. Really gorgeous work. I was in total lust for those Eames chairs.

As a magazine editor, I obviously still love the print version but think the main important point is that any media producer needs to be thinking about tying it all together into one multi-media package. In other words, so some thiings in print, do other things online/via apps/through blogs/video etc. Take the strength of each and create one not-to-be-missed set of products. This is what I do in my fantasy world in my head. My work world isn’t quite up to where my fantasy world is but hopefully some day!
    Janet
    Janet´s last blog post ..Locavore- Dishing up more than tasty home-delivered meals

61. Victoria McKenney - Interior Designer, Enviable Designs commented
    April 6th, 2011 at 1:08am

STUNNING spaces and photography – looking forward to it!!!

62. H commented
    April 10th, 2011 at 5:25pm

luv the interior. and the exterior.

thanx for sharing online…

63. Kia Perry commented
    August 27th, 2012 at 5:10pm

Totally in love with the vibrant and fresh images! I’m an e-mag newbie so I’ll definitely be checking this one out!