Home Tours

Homes With Heart

April 11, 2011

Good morning readers and happy Monday! I have a morning flight to catch in a moment, but I wanted to jump online and share a space with you in southern Germany owned and decorated by blogger and married mother of two boys, Nadine from Herz Allerliebst. She is inspired by the brightness and easiness of homes in Northern Europe but also love ethnic touches from places like Asia and Northern Africa and a good mix of old and new. She loves a simple, clean style with mostly white and a hint of color along with bold black so the look doesn’t appear too sweet. Some of the best designers working today swear by adding black (or a dark gray) whenever you notice your palette has become a bit too soft – it definitely works.

Homes With Heart

Homes With Heart

Homes With Heart

Homes With Heart

Homes With Heart

Homes With Heart

It’s important that we decorate our home with heart and when it comes to the homes of others, while we have opinions, it’s not our place to judge them as being “good” or “bad” in my opinion — unless they are asking for advice of course and then it’s always kind to use tact and motivate them to decorate from the heart a little more. But this “decorating from the heart”, what does that really mean, anyway? To me it means to avoid the ever popular “all or nothing” mentality — try to avoid feeling a rush to get everything finished the moment you embark on a decorating project. Decorating should be an organic process, it takes time, just as falling in love with a person takes time. You have to learn how you’ll use each room, see where you tend to gravitate to the most, what you use the space for (it can change according to the season), etc. Allowing our home to grow along with us and our unique personality and needs is so important. Decorating with heart means that you want to infuse your space with your life and passions and not simply copy what you’ve seen elsewhere or buy everything from a single catalog or store. It’s curating, collecting, cherishing, editing, upcycling, recycling, and most of all — being kind to yourself and have confidence in your decisions because if you are overly critical about your choices you can quickly lose the joy that should go into decorating.

Nadine loves to decorate and is inspired by other blogs, magazines and books on the subject, “There are so many wonderful ideas which inspire me but I’m also inspired by my boys (they like painting and tinkering and I like decorating our home with their work), nature (each season has its special items and it is wonderful for me to fill our home with nature) and my mum (we are both a bit crazy about decoration),” says Nadine. I asked her a question though that I always love to ask home owners, what makes a house a home, and she told me, “When you can feel that the people living there put their thoughts and heart into it and this has nothing to do with style or money. It is important to feel comfortable with your style.” Ah yes, feeling comfortable with your style, in other words decorating takes confidence. That is a great reminder, Nadine!

What does decorating with heart mean to YOU?

To see more of Nadine’s home, visit her blog and enjoy!

(images: herz allerliebst)

38 Comments

• Reply Marlene April 11, 2011 at 9:06 am

I love the details in the photos of Nadine’ home… It IS a home with heart! I love oriental details like she does, too… Up and away to Nadine! :)

• Reply Sonia April 11, 2011 at 9:19 am

great post! great home! thanks for sharing!

• Reply Franca April 11, 2011 at 9:40 am

I just love the letter combination and the super organised shelves in the kitchen…decorating is a progress!

Franca

• Reply Elisa April 11, 2011 at 9:46 am

i’ve the Matroschka beaker, too. they’re so cute :)

• Reply Emma April 11, 2011 at 10:00 am

“It’s curating, collecting, cherishing, editing, upcycling, recycling” I LOVE that Holly. So well put, couldn’t agree more.

• Reply meenal @ maison marigold April 11, 2011 at 10:03 am

Beautiful little vignettes all around…what a lovely home..very personal..certainly done with Nadine’s heart and soul..xx meenal

• Reply Kerstin April 11, 2011 at 11:05 am

Decorating with heart means to me decorating with patenience and open eyes… all the best, Kerstin

• Reply ArticulateArt April 11, 2011 at 11:59 am

The dessert’s making me drool….. nice photos by the way!

• Reply Nat@ dear little house April 11, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Truer words were never spoken! Decorating from the heart has always been my philosophy, I guess it just didn’t have a name until now! :)

• Reply Theresa April 11, 2011 at 12:31 pm

Really wonderful home! I’ve been following her blog for a while now and you’ve gotten the real essence of her blog in your post! Lovely work! Adore the easter egg branches! That reminds me so much of my young childhood when my sister and I would search for the best egg designs ;)

• Reply Ivy April 11, 2011 at 12:57 pm

This is so white and spacious, clean, fresh and airy, pure and simple, and with lot of heart. Congratulations and best regards to both of you, Holly and Nadine :)

• Reply Jodie April 11, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Nadine has a beautiful home. I’ve just spotted the Greengate Latte cups in the first image, I like how she uses them as a subtle accent, adding a tiny splash of colour, to what is quite a neutral space.

• Reply Mrs Bok April 11, 2011 at 1:34 pm

I love Nadine’s home! It looks a lot like mine. I’ve even got the same babushka doll measuring cup set! Have to say that your blog has given me plenty of inspiration over the years. Hope you are having a good trip wherever you are currently! :)

• Reply Hazel April 11, 2011 at 3:17 pm

Great guest post! I love how heart is infused into spaces so starkly white and clean. Sometimes the two can seem like opposites– but this post marries them so well!

Hazel
    Fifthroom Living

• Reply Rachel @ Sweat, Tears or the Sea April 11, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I love how the white of the walls and the furniture acts as a canvas for the black and pastel accents..very inspiring!

• Reply Christina April 11, 2011 at 4:56 pm

A lovely home and a lovely reminder. I try not to stress that the decoration of my home is such a long and drawn-out process, but sometimes it gets to me. Thank you for the encouragement!

• Reply Verena April 11, 2011 at 5:20 pm

I love Nadines Blog! Her home looks so cozy!

• Reply Priya April 11, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Homes with heart to me are places that tell you the story of the people that live there. Posts like this one are what got me hooked onto your blog. All the best for your book launch! I enjoyed reading it.

• Reply Paula Jo @ Home Decor | Outdoor Garden Decorations April 11, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Nadine has a way of decorating, and it’s beautiful. My husband is German, and lived there all his life until he moved here to the states to marry me 4 yrs. ago. I just loved the way people decorated their homes in Germany.

• Reply Lori April 11, 2011 at 7:21 pm

so lovely! as a mother with 2 boys as well i am especially envious of nadine’s home!

• Reply Erica Cooper April 11, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Very well said… love your definition of “decorating from the heart”. As a designer, I find it’s hardest to explain this to my clients… they always want to rush, know exactly every element and have it all done as soon as possible. It’s getting them to give the design process a bit more time, allowing me to find things that really represent them and their story, along with going out themselves and actually finding items for the space. It’s changing their perspective and actually getting them to care about what their art, linens or accessories have to say to them and their souls and not just what might look good design wise. I believe even as a decorator, I can give them that space that is decorated from their heart… if they just are willing to let me tell their story over time.
    I loved Nadine’s home- it was fresh, stylish yet very personal. A wonderful place for her boys to grow up that still honors her design style and loves.

• Reply Angelia April 11, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Lovely home, all the personal “Heart” is what brings it to life. I think that is what is so great about blogs as opposed to stiffness of some decorating magazines, too much of the decorator and not enough of the home owner. The most interesting blogs are the personal ones.

• Reply Lauren April 11, 2011 at 10:20 pm

What a gorgeous home! It feels so happy. I adore that Easter tree!

Those peonies make me giddy…they’re my favorite ans those are exceptional!

• Reply Shari April 11, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Gorgeous home! I agree that decorating should be very much from the heart. If your home is where the heart is, then shouldn’t that somehow be reflected in the things you keep around you?

I just got my Decorate book today!! Woo hoo!! Tomorrow I’m going to curl up on the sofa, with my cup of tea and browse my heart out! I plan to do a nice blog reviewing and sharing my favorite pages! Soooo excited!!

xoxox

• Reply Serena @ Pretty Fluffy April 12, 2011 at 3:12 am

This post really struck a chord with me. For so long I’ve tried to decorate by aiming to have a room ‘done’ by a certain date – and every single time I’ve done that I’ve ended up buying things that don’t really reflect me – they just fill space and before long I don’t want them anymore!
    It’s much smarter like you say to build organically and only fill my home with things that I love. I did this with my bedroom – my husband joked that when he met me all I had was a bed – but after 4 years of dating (and then getting married) the room is gorgeous, filled with beautiful things we tresure and completely reflects us – it’s timeless.
    I’ll be following your advice and remembering this post for a while to come!! Thankyou!
    xo

• Reply Darcy Davidson April 12, 2011 at 5:54 am

I love an all white home. So simple, clean, and if you are fickle like me you can change and add color by the season or your mood!

• Reply jonahliza April 12, 2011 at 8:32 am

i love whites… that kitchen shot is oh so inspiring! thanks, always, for all the great posts!

• Reply Belichek Craft April 12, 2011 at 9:06 am

I love the white color)) idea – simple but spectacular))

• Reply Lisa's Creative Designs April 12, 2011 at 2:31 pm

The home is just beautiful. Everything is so clean and fresh and comfortable. I have sometimes find myself being very critical about my design ideas and become miserable because of it. Then I stop and remember that decorating a home should be personal and reflect YOUR personality. Surrounding yourself with the things you love creates a home for YOU. Not everyone is going to fall in love with your decor as everyone has different tastes. It saddens me when people are down right rude when criticizing someone’s style of decorating. As long as your home makes YOU feel good, that’s what its all about!

• Reply Ivy style33 April 12, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Hello Holly,

wishing you all the very best for the launching of your fabulous book at Liberty’s! Have been only occassionally reading blogs lately but couldn’t help myself in commenting today.

An indeed beautiful home, lovely discribed as well. Nadine has wonderful taste and this unique ability to make a house into a home!
    As for decorating with heart, both you and Nadine express my point of view as well. It’s all about letting our spaces grow with us, exactly as we grow in them. It’s about surrounding us with objects we love. It’s about expressing ourselves, our personalities, who we are, have been and aspire to be.
    It’s about breathing life into our spaces.

Kind regards,
    Iro {Ivy}

• Reply Arielle April 12, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Thanks for sharing! I used the egg arrangement photo over on my blog but linked back to this post. So darling!

• Reply Amy - pride of place April 13, 2011 at 6:29 pm

I love this kind of style. It is the sort of home I hope to create one day, once we buy our first house.

• Reply Kelly April 14, 2011 at 8:49 am

I couldn’t agree with you more about decorating your own home organically, allowing time to grow into the space, finding treasures and things you love. I always try to get clients to see it this way as well and I never impose furnishings and ornaments on them and like to work with what they have. Although we have deadlines in commercial projects, I always find it takes time for any space to come together.

I really enjoyed meeting you at the book launch. It was a very pleasant evening and meet so many other bloggers!

My best…

• Reply Bryn April 17, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Loving the pops of color! Peonies are my favorite, I love the way they accent a white palette.

• Reply Jan | Wedding Flowers Co April 17, 2011 at 10:56 pm

I love the muscari and pink ranunculus flowers. They make for great home decor with their bright colors and lively ambience that adds to the rooms.

• Reply Nycia April 18, 2011 at 8:23 pm

What a lovely home! All the whites with the pops of color & details are simply timeless! I am inspired!

• Reply Ivonne Loving April 19, 2011 at 4:50 am

Hi! I included this post in this weeks from my reader round-up. Loved the post and thought it would be super useful to my friends and readers.

• Reply Jacqueline September 9, 2011 at 8:06 pm

the pink ranunculus and the green moroccan tea are quite an ensemble! what a great expose. we loved it.