Homes With Heart

Good morning readers and happy Monday! I have a morning flight to catch in a moment, but I wanted to jump online and share a space with you in southern Germany owned and decorated by blogger and married mother of two boys, Nadine from Herz Allerliebst. She is inspired by the brightness and easiness of homes in Northern Europe but also love ethnic touches from places like Asia and Northern Africa and a good mix of old and new. She loves a simple, clean style with mostly white and a hint of color along with bold black so the look doesn’t appear too sweet. Some of the best designers working today swear by adding black (or a dark gray) whenever you notice your palette has become a bit too soft – it definitely works.

It’s important that we decorate our home with heart and when it comes to the homes of others, while we have opinions, it’s not our place to judge them as being “good” or “bad” in my opinion — unless they are asking for advice of course and then it’s always kind to use tact and motivate them to decorate from the heart a little more. But this “decorating from the heart”, what does that really mean, anyway? To me it means to avoid the ever popular “all or nothing” mentality — try to avoid feeling a rush to get everything finished the moment you embark on a decorating project. Decorating should be an organic process, it takes time, just as falling in love with a person takes time. You have to learn how you’ll use each room, see where you tend to gravitate to the most, what you use the space for (it can change according to the season), etc. Allowing our home to grow along with us and our unique personality and needs is so important. Decorating with heart means that you want to infuse your space with your life and passions and not simply copy what you’ve seen elsewhere or buy everything from a single catalog or store. It’s curating, collecting, cherishing, editing, upcycling, recycling, and most of all — being kind to yourself and have confidence in your decisions because if you are overly critical about your choices you can quickly lose the joy that should go into decorating.

Nadine loves to decorate and is inspired by other blogs, magazines and books on the subject, “There are so many wonderful ideas which inspire me but I’m also inspired by my boys (they like painting and tinkering and I like decorating our home with their work), nature (each season has its special items and it is wonderful for me to fill our home with nature) and my mum (we are both a bit crazy about decoration),” says Nadine. I asked her a question though that I always love to ask home owners, what makes a house a home, and she told me, “When you can feel that the people living there put their thoughts and heart into it and this has nothing to do with style or money. It is important to feel comfortable with your style.” Ah yes, feeling comfortable with your style, in other words decorating takes confidence. That is a great reminder, Nadine!

What does decorating with heart mean to YOU?

To see more of Nadine’s home, visit her blog and enjoy!

(images: herz allerliebst)

Posted by decor8 in Home Tours on April 11, 2011

1. Marlene commented
    April 11th, 2011 at 9:06am

I love the details in the photos of Nadine’ home… It IS a home with heart! I love oriental details like she does, too… Up and away to Nadine! :)
    Marlene´s last blog post ..Spontanes kleines Vintage Give-away zum Wochenende

2. Sonia commented
    April 11th, 2011 at 9:19am

great post! great home! thanks for sharing!

3. Franca commented
    April 11th, 2011 at 9:40am

I just love the letter combination and the super organised shelves in the kitchen…decorating is a progress!

Franca

4. Elisa commented
    April 11th, 2011 at 9:46am

i’ve the Matroschka beaker, too. they’re so cute :)
    Elisa´s last blog post ..Papierostereier aufhängen

5. Emma commented
    April 11th, 2011 at 10:00am

“It’s curating, collecting, cherishing, editing, upcycling, recycling” I LOVE that Holly. So well put, couldn’t agree more.

6. meenal @ maison marigold commented
    April 11th, 2011 at 10:03am

Beautiful little vignettes all around…what a lovely home..very personal..certainly done with Nadine’s heart and soul..xx meenal
    meenal @ maison marigold´s last blog post ..Bittersweet dayand a hairy tale

7. Kerstin commented
    April 11th, 2011 at 11:05am

Decorating with heart means to me decorating with patenience and open eyes… all the best, Kerstin

8. ArticulateArt commented
    April 11th, 2011 at 11:59am

The dessert’s making me drool….. nice photos by the way!

9. Nat@ dear little house commented
    April 11th, 2011 at 12:01pm

Truer words were never spoken! Decorating from the heart has always been my philosophy, I guess it just didn’t have a name until now! :)
    Nat@ dear little house´s last blog post ..Pewter shoes and nursery rhymes

10. Theresa commented
    April 11th, 2011 at 12:31pm

Really wonderful home! I’ve been following her blog for a while now and you’ve gotten the real essence of her blog in your post! Lovely work! Adore the easter egg branches! That reminds me so much of my young childhood when my sister and I would search for the best egg designs ;)
    Theresa´s last blog post ..My couch on designspongeonlinecom

11. Ivy commented
    April 11th, 2011 at 12:57pm

This is so white and spacious, clean, fresh and airy, pure and simple, and with lot of heart. Congratulations and best regards to both of you, Holly and Nadine :)

12. Jodie commented
    April 11th, 2011 at 1:07pm

Nadine has a beautiful home. I’ve just spotted the Greengate Latte cups in the first image, I like how she uses them as a subtle accent, adding a tiny splash of colour, to what is quite a neutral space.

13. Mrs Bok commented
    April 11th, 2011 at 1:34pm

I love Nadine’s home! It looks a lot like mine. I’ve even got the same babushka doll measuring cup set! Have to say that your blog has given me plenty of inspiration over the years. Hope you are having a good trip wherever you are currently! :)
    Mrs Bok´s last blog post ..Our first broccoli sprout!

14. Hazel commented
    April 11th, 2011 at 3:17pm

Great guest post! I love how heart is infused into spaces so starkly white and clean. Sometimes the two can seem like opposites– but this post marries them so well!

Hazel
    Fifthroom Living
    Hazel´s last blog post ..Japanese Garden Style

15. Rachel @ Sweat, Tears or the Sea commented
    April 11th, 2011 at 3:38pm

I love how the white of the walls and the furniture acts as a canvas for the black and pastel accents..very inspiring!
    Rachel @ Sweat, Tears or the Sea´s last blog post ..Cottage by the Sea

16. Christina commented
    April 11th, 2011 at 4:56pm

A lovely home and a lovely reminder. I try not to stress that the decoration of my home is such a long and drawn-out process, but sometimes it gets to me. Thank you for the encouragement!
    Christina´s last blog post ..Decorate to Delight

17. Verena commented
    April 11th, 2011 at 5:20pm

I love Nadines Blog! Her home looks so cozy!
    Verena´s last blog post ..Strapazierte Augen-Teil 1 – Strained Eyes-Part 1!

18. Priya commented
    April 11th, 2011 at 5:40pm

Homes with heart to me are places that tell you the story of the people that live there. Posts like this one are what got me hooked onto your blog. All the best for your book launch! I enjoyed reading it.
    Priya´s last blog post ..Hello Monday

19. Paula Jo @ Home Decor | Outdoor Garden Decorations commented
    April 11th, 2011 at 7:06pm

Nadine has a way of decorating, and it’s beautiful. My husband is German, and lived there all his life until he moved here to the states to marry me 4 yrs. ago. I just loved the way people decorated their homes in Germany.

20. Lori commented
    April 11th, 2011 at 7:21pm

so lovely! as a mother with 2 boys as well i am especially envious of nadine’s home!

21. Erica Cooper commented
    April 11th, 2011 at 9:25pm

Very well said… love your definition of “decorating from the heart”. As a designer, I find it’s hardest to explain this to my clients… they always want to rush, know exactly every element and have it all done as soon as possible. It’s getting them to give the design process a bit more time, allowing me to find things that really represent them and their story, along with going out themselves and actually finding items for the space. It’s changing their perspective and actually getting them to care about what their art, linens or accessories have to say to them and their souls and not just what might look good design wise. I believe even as a decorator, I can give them that space that is decorated from their heart… if they just are willing to let me tell their story over time.
    I loved Nadine’s home- it was fresh, stylish yet very personal. A wonderful place for her boys to grow up that still honors her design style and loves.
    Erica Cooper´s last blog post ..Need an Easy Dinner Idea

22. Angelia commented
    April 11th, 2011 at 10:03pm

Lovely home, all the personal “Heart” is what brings it to life. I think that is what is so great about blogs as opposed to stiffness of some decorating magazines, too much of the decorator and not enough of the home owner. The most interesting blogs are the personal ones.

23. Lauren commented
    April 11th, 2011 at 10:20pm

What a gorgeous home! It feels so happy. I adore that Easter tree!

Those peonies make me giddy…they’re my favorite ans those are exceptional!
    Lauren´s last blog post ..Hello Studded!

24. Shari commented
    April 11th, 2011 at 11:17pm

Gorgeous home! I agree that decorating should be very much from the heart. If your home is where the heart is, then shouldn’t that somehow be reflected in the things you keep around you?

I just got my Decorate book today!! Woo hoo!! Tomorrow I’m going to curl up on the sofa, with my cup of tea and browse my heart out! I plan to do a nice blog reviewing and sharing my favorite pages! Soooo excited!!

xoxox
    Shari´s last blog post ..Good Morning!

25. Serena @ Pretty Fluffy commented
    April 12th, 2011 at 3:12am

This post really struck a chord with me. For so long I’ve tried to decorate by aiming to have a room ‘done’ by a certain date – and every single time I’ve done that I’ve ended up buying things that don’t really reflect me – they just fill space and before long I don’t want them anymore!
    It’s much smarter like you say to build organically and only fill my home with things that I love. I did this with my bedroom – my husband joked that when he met me all I had was a bed – but after 4 years of dating (and then getting married) the room is gorgeous, filled with beautiful things we tresure and completely reflects us – it’s timeless.
    I’ll be following your advice and remembering this post for a while to come!! Thankyou!
    xo

26. Darcy Davidson commented
    April 12th, 2011 at 5:54am

I love an all white home. So simple, clean, and if you are fickle like me you can change and add color by the season or your mood!

27. jonahliza commented
    April 12th, 2011 at 8:32am

i love whites… that kitchen shot is oh so inspiring! thanks, always, for all the great posts!
    jonahliza´s last blog post ..New banner look above

28. Belichek Craft commented
    April 12th, 2011 at 9:06am

I love the white color)) idea – simple but spectacular))
    Belichek Craft´s last blog post ..earlier on Saturday morning

29. Lisa's Creative Designs commented
    April 12th, 2011 at 2:31pm

The home is just beautiful. Everything is so clean and fresh and comfortable. I have sometimes find myself being very critical about my design ideas and become miserable because of it. Then I stop and remember that decorating a home should be personal and reflect YOUR personality. Surrounding yourself with the things you love creates a home for YOU. Not everyone is going to fall in love with your decor as everyone has different tastes. It saddens me when people are down right rude when criticizing someone’s style of decorating. As long as your home makes YOU feel good, that’s what its all about!

30. Ivy style33 commented
    April 12th, 2011 at 4:54pm

Hello Holly,

wishing you all the very best for the launching of your fabulous book at Liberty’s! Have been only occassionally reading blogs lately but couldn’t help myself in commenting today.

An indeed beautiful home, lovely discribed as well. Nadine has wonderful taste and this unique ability to make a house into a home!
    As for decorating with heart, both you and Nadine express my point of view as well. It’s all about letting our spaces grow with us, exactly as we grow in them. It’s about surrounding us with objects we love. It’s about expressing ourselves, our personalities, who we are, have been and aspire to be.
    It’s about breathing life into our spaces.

Kind regards,
    Iro {Ivy}
    Ivy style33´s last blog post ..I love being here

31. Arielle commented
    April 12th, 2011 at 8:13pm

Thanks for sharing! I used the egg arrangement photo over on my blog but linked back to this post. So darling!
    Arielle´s last blog post ..How do you celebrate Easter

32. Amy - pride of place commented
    April 13th, 2011 at 6:29pm

I love this kind of style. It is the sort of home I hope to create one day, once we buy our first house.
    Amy – pride of place´s last blog post ..The results of a crafty week

33. Kelly commented
    April 14th, 2011 at 8:49am

I couldn’t agree with you more about decorating your own home organically, allowing time to grow into the space, finding treasures and things you love. I always try to get clients to see it this way as well and I never impose furnishings and ornaments on them and like to work with what they have. Although we have deadlines in commercial projects, I always find it takes time for any space to come together.

I really enjoyed meeting you at the book launch. It was a very pleasant evening and meet so many other bloggers!

My best…
    Kelly´s last blog post ..Indigo

34. Bryn commented
    April 17th, 2011 at 3:14pm

Loving the pops of color! Peonies are my favorite, I love the way they accent a white palette.
    Bryn´s last blog post ..Thoughts of the Day

35. Jan | Wedding Flowers Co commented
    April 17th, 2011 at 10:56pm

I love the muscari and pink ranunculus flowers. They make for great home decor with their bright colors and lively ambience that adds to the rooms.

36. Nycia commented
    April 18th, 2011 at 8:23pm

What a lovely home! All the whites with the pops of color & details are simply timeless! I am inspired!

37. Ivonne Loving commented
    April 19th, 2011 at 4:50am

Hi! I included this post in this weeks from my reader round-up. Loved the post and thought it would be super useful to my friends and readers.

38. Jacqueline commented
    September 9th, 2011 at 8:06pm

the pink ranunculus and the green moroccan tea are quite an ensemble! what a great expose. we loved it.