Color Me Pretty: Anthropologie Inspired

Hello Friends, it is Leslie here with Color Me Pretty for April. This time around I cannot stop thinking about travel and cafes. No, they are not colors but since I just came back from a quick trip to London and Copenhagen I find myself dreaming about the cafes I visited and where I may go next.

Color Me Pretty

Yes, the travel bug was caught quite severely and that is why this image from Anthropologie became my source of inspiration for this month’s Color Me Pretty. By looking at this picture, I was transported to an Italian café. This gorgeous photo shoot, which took place at Caffé Roma Pastry on Broome Street in New York, inspired me in a fury to create something in a similar palette for you.

Splashes of dark tangerine, gold, sap green and Prussian blue mixed with light tan and milky coffee. This is a pretty palette for summer fashion, entertaining or decorating.

I printed out and pinned the first Anthropologie image from the set on my tack board and then created a mood board around the image. I grabbed old cards and tickets I had collected during my last trip to Rome, along with some post cards and my own photos. I tend to keep little bits of paper from wherever I go. Do you do this? I just love looking at business cards of where I have eaten or ticket stubs from an incredible site I have seen. I keep many of these bits and pieces in an archival box on my shelf or in journals I made upon return home.

Since Caffe Roma appears to serve some fine looking gelato I started thinking about ice cream, then, ice cream dishes and how they may make fun low floral vases for entertaining. I experimented with some little bouquets and the ice cream dishes worked well as they keep the flowers low enough to have a conversation over. You can find sundae, sorbet and ice cream dishes at restaurant supply stores online like this one.

I couldn’t help but doodle some watercolor flowers after looking at the fabulous En Plein Air Dress and Gladiolus Skirt featured in the photographs. The gestural floral patterns used in these two pieces have me thinking about borders for cards or patterns I could use in some other crafts. I also love bringing bold floral patterns into my home as accents and these two fashion items have my wheels turning.

It is really fun to take a virtual trip somewhere and let it inspire some fresh creative ideas. Thank you for joining me here today on my little journey helped along greatly by the styling work and photography by the brilliant folks at Anthropologie.

See you back here next month, Leslie

(images: leslie shewring)

Posted by decor8 in Color Inspiration, Color Me Pretty on April 29, 2011

1. Melissa Lewis - Midwest Magnolia commented
    April 29th, 2011 at 3:53pm

Ahhh, gorgeous! All the beautiful colors make me so happy. Great post Holly!
    Melissa Lewis – Midwest Magnolia´s last blog post ..Craft Hope and Make A Bracelet

2. Lana commented
    April 29th, 2011 at 3:59pm

What lovely images! I suppose I am a magpie of sorts. I collect bits and pieces for inspiration, too!
    Lana´s last blog post ..Walk With Me After the Storm

3. Vanessa Elizabeth l Ruffled Rose commented
    April 29th, 2011 at 4:09pm

Cafes are such a great source for inspiration, but there’s nothing quite like a holiday to shed new light on old things.
    Vanessa Elizabeth l Ruffled Rose´s last blog post ..well wishes

4. Heather commented
    April 29th, 2011 at 4:12pm

Perfection once again Leslie! I am constantly inspired by you. I love this new fun direction.. You have such an eye.
    Heather´s last blog post ..What Is English Country Style

5. Amy commented
    April 29th, 2011 at 4:37pm

that doodling needs to be framed!
    Amy´s last blog post ..Space to craft

6. Rhiannon commented
    April 29th, 2011 at 4:56pm

Very lovely – has inspired me to hunt for some pretty old tea cups on my next wee trip.
    Rhiannon´s last blog post ..Five on a Friday by Emma Newman

7. Lily from Birch + Bird commented
    April 29th, 2011 at 5:48pm

Gorgeous, Leslie! I love all of these colours and all of your little details make me yearn to travel Europe again…hopefully someday soon! Thanks for sharing!
    Lily from Birch + Bird´s last blog post ..Friday Flowers

8. Cat@Breakfast to Bed commented
    April 29th, 2011 at 5:51pm

I need that top!! And that tea set. really.
    Cat@Breakfast to Bed´s last blog post ..Jeez Im tired of the Royal Wedding Scones

9. Simone Leblanc commented
    April 29th, 2011 at 7:12pm

Love this! colors and items go so well together. Thanks for sharing
    Simone Leblanc´s last blog post ..treasures!

10. Margie commented
    April 29th, 2011 at 7:35pm

Aah, another fabulous display! And I swear, your watercolor flowers and doodling make me crazy! Might be my favorite part…well, I love it all so maybe not. LOL! Cafe hugs to you Leslie!
    Margie´s last blog post ..STRIKING COMBO

11. kathleen shortridge commented
    April 29th, 2011 at 8:17pm

oh leslie, being in rome and tuscanny last august was so rich for me…especially pompeii and the amalfi coast…i cant wait for you to see the dishes we bought…eat pray love…..thats what we did….love to you.

12. Cynthia@ Beach Coast Style commented
    April 29th, 2011 at 8:33pm

love all of this something about cafes, color and travel that just mix with this color style. It makes me want to go a trip and collect all the little goodies you gather along the way.

13. Shop Sweet Things with Jeanne commented
    April 29th, 2011 at 8:34pm

This is so pretty, Leslie. I love, love, love the last image! I’ve been wanting to pull some of my personal stuff to photograph and this is such a great inspiration! I’m so glad I stopped by. Have a great weekend!
    Shop Sweet Things with Jeanne´s last blog post ..BUN MEE vietnamese sandwich eatery

14. elisa commented
    April 29th, 2011 at 8:36pm

lovely, leslie. i’m drawn particularly to the pocket sketchbook full of wonderful bits, and the watercolour. i remember an art teacher talking about taking a pixelated version of a photograph of some plantlife, and drawing the palette from those tiny squares. it’s so inspiring how you respond to things with colour x elisa

15. elisa commented
    April 29th, 2011 at 9:04pm

oh i love this tee service!!!

16. Jennie commented
    April 30th, 2011 at 2:38am

My jaw is dropping once again! I can’t say enough how much I look forward to Leslie’s Color Me Pretty post. Brilliant!
    Jennie´s last blog post ..A FEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS &amp COLOR DOSE 17

17. MD Interior Design commented
    April 30th, 2011 at 9:47am

Leslie, you are such an inspiration! Time after time you present us with these adorable colour stories that are an absolute joy to view. My favourite today is your watercolour flowers, they are extremely gorgeous. Thankyou so much for sharing.
    xMichelle

18. Jane commented
    April 30th, 2011 at 1:45pm

Oh, Leslie! You unerring eye for composition and colour absolutely enchants me. Every time. Thanks so much for adding this beauty to our lives. J x
    Jane´s last blog post ..Awandering around Salamanca Market distraction therapy

19. Caitlin commented
    May 1st, 2011 at 12:32am

OH MY GOSH. This is absolutely breathtaking. One of my favourites ever! That list image is one of the best photos I’ve seen. I know it’ll be on my inspiration board for a long time.
    Caitlin´s last blog post ..Boat shoes

20. Diane commented
    May 1st, 2011 at 5:21am

Once again, a beautiful and inspiring post Leslie! Thank you so much for sharing!

21. Angela Steyn commented
    May 2nd, 2011 at 10:29am

Such interesting colours today! That particular red is so European and reminds me so much of all the photos from the recent Royal wedding! Just beautiful x

Angela
    Angela Steyn´s last blog post ..New Eyes

22. Starlet commented
    May 5th, 2011 at 2:13am

Dear Leslie,

I am sure plenty have said this about you, but I will still say it out loud anywhoo: You are SOOO talented!

Those watercolor flowers that you “doodled” are amazing, I can see it printed in the most beautiful fabric or for it to be a lining in a flowy white dress!

23. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    May 9th, 2011 at 4:15pm

How on earth did I miss this one? Just absolutely gorgeous hun….as always. But, this one really makes me feel like I am out and about in the sunshine, meeting girlfriends for tea and delights in Paris! I love it, you never fail to inspire me!
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Closer to home

24. keishua commented
    May 11th, 2011 at 12:37am

I love this. the colors are so warm and wonderful.
    keishua´s last blog post ..Walking in this World

25. nicole commented
    May 12th, 2011 at 3:37pm

These images are just amazing. They tell a story & bring you into it. The color theme is very pleasing to the eye.
    nicole´s last blog post ..NECTAR necklace – cuff – Silk- Swarovski crystal- brass – convertible – Made To Order

26. Jenny commented
    May 8th, 2012 at 6:46pm

Any idea where I can find that beautiful gold pattern on the china teacup?

27. Jenny commented
    May 8th, 2012 at 6:47pm

Any idea where I can find that china teacup pattern?