Color Inspiration

Anthropologie + Travel Inspired

April 29, 2011

Hello Friends, it is Leslie here with Color Me Pretty for April. This time around I cannot stop thinking about travel and cafes. No, they are not colors but since I just came back from a quick trip to London and Copenhagen I find myself dreaming about the cafes I visited and where I may go next.

Anthropologie + Travel Inspired

Yes, the travel bug was caught quite severely and that is why this image from Anthropologie became my source of inspiration for this month’s Color Me Pretty. By looking at this picture, I was transported to an Italian café. This gorgeous photo shoot, which took place at Caffé Roma Pastry on Broome Street in New York, inspired me in a fury to create something in a similar palette for you.

Anthropologie + Travel Inspired

Splashes of dark tangerine, gold, sap green and Prussian blue mixed with light tan and milky coffee. This is a pretty palette for summer fashion, entertaining or decorating.

Anthropologie + Travel Inspired

Anthropologie + Travel Inspired

I printed out and pinned the first Anthropologie image from the set on my tack board and then created a mood board around the image. I grabbed old cards and tickets I had collected during my last trip to Rome, along with some post cards and my own photos. I tend to keep little bits of paper from wherever I go. Do you do this? I just love looking at business cards of where I have eaten or ticket stubs from an incredible site I have seen. I keep many of these bits and pieces in an archival box on my shelf or in journals I made upon return home.

Anthropologie + Travel Inspired

Since Caffe Roma appears to serve some fine looking gelato I started thinking about ice cream, then, ice cream dishes and how they may make fun low floral vases for entertaining. I experimented with some little bouquets and the ice cream dishes worked well as they keep the flowers low enough to have a conversation over. You can find sundae, sorbet and ice cream dishes at restaurant supply stores online like this one.

Anthropologie + Travel Inspired

Anthropologie + Travel Inspired

I couldn’t help but doodle some watercolor flowers after looking at the fabulous En Plein Air Dress and Gladiolus Skirt featured in the photographs. The gestural floral patterns used in these two pieces have me thinking about borders for cards or patterns I could use in some other crafts. I also love bringing bold floral patterns into my home as accents and these two fashion items have my wheels turning.

Anthropologie + Travel Inspired

Anthropologie + Travel Inspired

It is really fun to take a virtual trip somewhere and let it inspire some fresh creative ideas. Thank you for joining me here today on my little journey helped along greatly by the styling work and photography by the brilliant folks at Anthropologie.

See you back here next month, Leslie

(images: leslie shewring)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Melissa Lewis - Midwest Magnolia April 29, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Ahhh, gorgeous! All the beautiful colors make me so happy. Great post Holly!

• Reply Lana April 29, 2011 at 3:59 pm

What lovely images! I suppose I am a magpie of sorts. I collect bits and pieces for inspiration, too!

• Reply Vanessa Elizabeth l Ruffled Rose April 29, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Cafes are such a great source for inspiration, but there’s nothing quite like a holiday to shed new light on old things.

• Reply Heather April 29, 2011 at 4:12 pm

Perfection once again Leslie! I am constantly inspired by you. I love this new fun direction.. You have such an eye.

• Reply Amy April 29, 2011 at 4:37 pm

that doodling needs to be framed!

• Reply Rhiannon April 29, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Very lovely – has inspired me to hunt for some pretty old tea cups on my next wee trip.

• Reply Lily from Birch + Bird April 29, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Gorgeous, Leslie! I love all of these colours and all of your little details make me yearn to travel Europe again…hopefully someday soon! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Cat@Breakfast to Bed April 29, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I need that top!! And that tea set. really.

• Reply Simone Leblanc April 29, 2011 at 7:12 pm

Love this! colors and items go so well together. Thanks for sharing

• Reply Margie April 29, 2011 at 7:35 pm

Aah, another fabulous display! And I swear, your watercolor flowers and doodling make me crazy! Might be my favorite part…well, I love it all so maybe not. LOL! Cafe hugs to you Leslie!

• Reply kathleen shortridge April 29, 2011 at 8:17 pm

oh leslie, being in rome and tuscanny last august was so rich for me…especially pompeii and the amalfi coast…i cant wait for you to see the dishes we bought…eat pray love…..thats what we did….love to you.

• Reply Cynthia@ Beach Coast Style April 29, 2011 at 8:33 pm

love all of this something about cafes, color and travel that just mix with this color style. It makes me want to go a trip and collect all the little goodies you gather along the way.

• Reply Shop Sweet Things with Jeanne April 29, 2011 at 8:34 pm

This is so pretty, Leslie. I love, love, love the last image! I’ve been wanting to pull some of my personal stuff to photograph and this is such a great inspiration! I’m so glad I stopped by. Have a great weekend!

• Reply elisa April 29, 2011 at 8:36 pm

lovely, leslie. i’m drawn particularly to the pocket sketchbook full of wonderful bits, and the watercolour. i remember an art teacher talking about taking a pixelated version of a photograph of some plantlife, and drawing the palette from those tiny squares. it’s so inspiring how you respond to things with colour x elisa

• Reply elisa April 29, 2011 at 9:04 pm

oh i love this tee service!!!

• Reply Jennie April 30, 2011 at 2:38 am

My jaw is dropping once again! I can’t say enough how much I look forward to Leslie’s Color Me Pretty post. Brilliant!

• Reply MD Interior Design April 30, 2011 at 9:47 am

Leslie, you are such an inspiration! Time after time you present us with these adorable colour stories that are an absolute joy to view. My favourite today is your watercolour flowers, they are extremely gorgeous. Thankyou so much for sharing.

• Reply Jane April 30, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Oh, Leslie! You unerring eye for composition and colour absolutely enchants me. Every time. Thanks so much for adding this beauty to our lives. J x

• Reply Caitlin May 1, 2011 at 12:32 am

OH MY GOSH. This is absolutely breathtaking. One of my favourites ever! That list image is one of the best photos I’ve seen. I know it’ll be on my inspiration board for a long time.

• Reply Diane May 1, 2011 at 5:21 am

Once again, a beautiful and inspiring post Leslie! Thank you so much for sharing!

• Reply Angela Steyn May 2, 2011 at 10:29 am

Such interesting colours today! That particular red is so European and reminds me so much of all the photos from the recent Royal wedding! Just beautiful x

• Reply Starlet May 5, 2011 at 2:13 am

Dear Leslie,

I am sure plenty have said this about you, but I will still say it out loud anywhoo: You are SOOO talented!

Those watercolor flowers that you “doodled” are amazing, I can see it printed in the most beautiful fabric or for it to be a lining in a flowy white dress!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente May 9, 2011 at 4:15 pm

How on earth did I miss this one? Just absolutely gorgeous hun….as always. But, this one really makes me feel like I am out and about in the sunshine, meeting girlfriends for tea and delights in Paris! I love it, you never fail to inspire me!

• Reply keishua May 11, 2011 at 12:37 am

I love this. the colors are so warm and wonderful.

• Reply nicole May 12, 2011 at 3:37 pm

These images are just amazing. They tell a story & bring you into it. The color theme is very pleasing to the eye.

• Reply Jenny May 8, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Any idea where I can find that beautiful gold pattern on the china teacup?

• Reply Jenny May 8, 2012 at 6:47 pm

Any idea where I can find that china teacup pattern?