Handmade Home: A Quick Office Nook Transformation

Hello everyone, it’s Anna-Malin here with Handmade Home and a quick office nook transformation to inspire you today. If you recall, I’m the “new girl” on decor8 who writes once a month about handmade living and little creative projects that I do around my house to refresh my decor on a budget. All of the decorating that I do also lifts my spirits and keeps me creative! Here in Sweden we are enjoying the most wonderful spring and with spring comes creativity. So this time I would like to show you how I redecorated my workspace.

Handmade Home: Office Nook Redux

First, I moved the turquoise cabinet (Remember? It’s here and shown below) to the garage, and now it is waiting for me to find a new place for it. I placed the desk where the cabinet was and got started on my office nook transformation.

Handmade Home: Office Nook Redux

Before (above)

Handmade Home: Office Nook Redux

After (above)

I wanted to bring more pictures of things that inspires me so I thought a moodboard on the wall would be perfect. I started by printing some of my favorite photos and then I put them on the desk to see how they would work out together. I also used color swatches in different, subtle colors and then I started to build a large collage on my wall above my desk using masking tape.

Handmade Home: Office Nook Redux

Handmade Home: Office Nook Redux

Then I bought a wooden shelf for storing some of my brushes, interiors books and other inspiring stuff. I had some wallpaper and other beautiful paper that I’ve collected over time so I decided to hang them on a wire and I placed the rest into a zinc basket on the floor.

Handmade Home: Office Nook Redux

Handmade Home: Office Nook Redux

Handmade Home: Office Nook Redux

Handmade Home: Office Nook Redux

I really like my newly decorated work place. It feels personal and so “me”. Here are some views of my kitchen and you can find other things that I’ve done recently to decorate my home here.

Inspiration

I hope that you have enjoyed seeing my new workspace. Thank you for having me and I’ll see you again in June!

xo, Anna-Malin

(photos: anna-malin lindgren)

Posted by decor8 in workspace on May 19, 2011

1. Tina Ramchandani commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 8:06pm

Thanks for sharing! I’ve been planning on updating my home office space and decided that this weekend is when its going to happen. Hope mine looks half as great as this!
    Tina Ramchandani´s last blog post ..New at Ikea- Annorlunda

2. Marie commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 8:12pm

LOVE this space :)
    xx Marie
    Marie´s last blog post ..Beautiful

3. alex commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 8:17pm

Simply stunning! I love the monochromatic palette and the strong graphic influence!
    alex´s last blog post ..My Little Joker 8×10 matted print benefits Oregon Humane Society

4. Desiree Fawn commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 8:24pm

Looks great! :)
    Desiree Fawn´s last blog post ..Wordless Wednesday After The Rain

5. Vicky commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 8:29pm

Holly,
    Thanks fr sharing another great post! Could you please do me a favor? Stop putting so much pressure on your readers…after this post I now have to go home and work on my nook and I don’t even have one. You are the bestest :)
    Vicky´s last blog post ..Faith- Trust- &amp a Little Pixie Dust- You Are Invited to a Linky Party

6. Will commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 8:40pm

Your grey hues have really reminded me just how lovely a scheme in this palette can look. A lovely workspace you have – thank you for sharing it with us.
    Will´s last blog post ..Country Living- May 2011 – Scrapbook Picks!

7. Shari commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 8:43pm

Beautiful work space and home… really inspiring! I wish you could come to my house and help me out! I definitely want to make things more visually appealing in my studio… It seems so hard to do when you have no storage space.
    Shari´s last blog post ..Glass blowing- Day 4 Last Day

8. Glenda Childers commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 8:48pm

So glad you are here Anna-Malin. Your office turned out so inspirational. Thanks for the practical ideas.

Fondly,
    Glenda
    Glenda Childers´s last blog post ..Anatomy of My First Cubs Game

9. elisa commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 8:51pm

oh, it is exquisite! i have been wanting to put up little bits of things to inspire me as i work, i love how you did it right on the wall. my studio has a strong diagonal over the space (steps) like this, it would work well with this too. and i adore the beautiful tones x

10. Westclox commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 9:08pm

I always wind up oohing and ahhing through your posts. You never cease to amaze me with how well you decorate. If I lived closer I would totally have some advice on where your turquoise cabinet could stay for awhile ;-) I definitely could find a room for it. Thanks for always sharing your beautiful decorating talents.

11. Becky D@KingsDownRoad commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 9:18pm

truly gorgeous!!
    Becky D@KingsDownRoad´s last blog post ..Outdoor Living

12. Rachel commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 9:45pm

Wow, love it! I am never disappointed when i get on your site – love your style!

13. Jacilyn commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 9:49pm

What an inspiring space! I just love the idea of your bits of inspiration in a monochromatic scheme. And I must hang my rolled papers too. What a great idea!

14. Andreia commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 10:25pm

Amazing! I loved the transformation! So inspiring!
    Andreia´s last blog post ..@home- make it simple

15. Penelope@thirdroomstudio commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 11:12pm

Fantastic to see your space, it’s given me some good ideas!
    Penelope@thirdroomstudio´s last blog post ..Hectic

16. Claire commented
    May 19th, 2011 at 11:24pm

Oh, I love this office space. The black/white/grey colour palette leaves plenty of space for thinking. x

17. leah commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 4:34am

A lovely workspace you – thank you for sharing it with us. I love all you do. Thank you…

18. MelanieO commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 4:47am

A beautiful and inspiring transformation. Thanks for sharing!
    MelanieO´s last blog post ..Sewing Patterns from Joel Dewberry

19. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 4:58am

ABSOLUTELY gorgeous! You did such a great job Anna! I love it & love the palette. So beautiful & peaceful. I also LOVE the runner in your kitchen ( it is yours, yes?) where is it from? It is so wonderful!
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Pairs

20. MD Interior Design commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 5:08am

This study nook is super stylish and sophisticated as always anna-malin. Thankyou for the inspiration!
    xMichelle

21. Mrs Bok commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 5:16am

Gorgeous space Anna! Your home is so lovely. More please!
    Mrs Bok´s last blog post ..No matter what you do

22. Jayca commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 6:48am

If I had one decorating wish, it would be that my handwriting would turn out as interesting and dynamic as Anna-Malin’s on her chalkboard.

I think perhaps I would churn out stationary and text art like a fiend at that point.

And I would no longer put my grocery list on Remember The Milk:)

23. meenal @ maison marigold commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 8:56am

love the black and white palette..so serene and sophisticated ..thanks for sharing..have a lovely day! xx meenal
    meenal @ maison marigold´s last blog post ..iPhone image of the week

24. Kirsti commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 10:32am

I love your new work space!!! I’m a big fan of white, black and grey as well…
    Kirsti

25. Cristina commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 11:03am

So nice! (both your workspace and home!)
    I would call “industrial sophisticated” style
    Black & white give the sophisticated and materials like metal, iron and glass give the industrial ;-)
    Cristina´s last blog post ..IOWE

26. Meghan @ My Wishful Thinking commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 11:12am

Wow wow and wow again! It’s fantastic! The composition and the contents of the photos are so interesting! I love has the whole space seems to ‘fit’ into the slant of the wall! I really feel inspired to go and tidy up my desk space now!
    Meghan @ My Wishful Thinking´s last blog post ..My Fair London – Street Art

27. Elisa commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 12:06pm

this table is great! i love these pics and the grey colour shades.
    Elisa´s last blog post ..Die witzigsten Testantworten

28. MissNara commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 1:14pm

I’m so hooked on home office decoration ideas. As a small business owner, it’s just so refreshing to see all these new pictures and to get inspired. Aahhh, love the fresh breezy look.

29. Rachel @ Little Bits of Lovely commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 2:33pm

I love what you have done; black and white is my favourite colour palette, it looks incredible!
    Rachel @ Little Bits of Lovely´s last blog post ..Modern- eclectic- with a dash of vintage

30. iHanna commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 2:39pm

Wow, these images are just gooorgeous! I want to live like that, what a dream place!
    iHanna´s last blog post ..Feeling bodacious giveaway

31. Ruth commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 2:54pm

I love your workspace, it’s gorgeous.

I am heading over to visit your blog.

Ruth
    Ruth´s last blog post ..In The Rain

32. Nina Lamb commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 3:15pm

Thank you Anna-Malin for sharing your workspace. I follow your blog and was excited to see an area of your home here on decor8 that I hadn’t seen before. You are as always a great inspiration!
    Nina Lamb´s last blog post ..Its the simple things

33. KSalty commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 3:31pm

So gorgeous – the black, white and grey tones work so well together. I like the star runner in the kitchen too.
    KSalty´s last blog post ..Friday Find- Russian doll cookie cutters

34. Traveling Mama commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 4:01pm

What a beautiful and inspiring transformation! I love this column!
    Traveling Mama´s last blog post ..color theory- white on white

35. barbara commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 4:53pm

Beautiful reorganize. I like that you hung the photos directly on the wall with tape. I especially love the rolled papers hanging on the clips. You may have mentioned before, but where is the desk/drafting table from? Oh, I also seriously covet the turquoise shelves.
    barbara´s last blog post ..Do Ducks Eat Pancakes

36. vasu commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 5:16pm

lovely transformation…..love the black and white theme

37. FWD commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 6:07pm

LOVE the nook especially. Great color!

38. nap atelier commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 6:33pm

What could I say about it?! It’s just perfect.
    Have a great day!
    Love,
    Darija
    nap atelier´s last blog post ..Tell A Tale

39. Anna-Malin commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 7:06pm

Thank you!! I´m so glad you all liked it!

Barbara: The desk is from IKEA :)

xo Anna-Malin

40. Emily commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 8:12pm

I love the color plan here. Great use of space, too. Thanks for sharing!
    Emily´s last blog post ..Cucumber Mint Lemonade

41. able mabel commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 8:16pm

If I had a workspace like that, I wouldn’t get any work done since I’d be too busy thinking about how pretty the space is! ;)

42. Angie commented
    May 20th, 2011 at 9:08pm

SO great! I’m currently helping a friend put together her workspace… it will defintiely need to foster creativity as she is a writer. Love what you did… very creatively fruitfull!
    Angie´s last blog post ..Summer- summer- summer…

43. Cynthia@Beach Coast Style commented
    May 21st, 2011 at 12:30am

Ahhh I love this! she has a new blog reader. the little office place was so neat and tidy and love what she did with the paper hanging.

44. Karoline commented
    May 21st, 2011 at 1:14am

And who said monochromatic is boring? This is beautiful!
    Karoline´s last blog post ..En anden måde at finde en billig 4-stjernet ferie på

45. Karin A commented
    May 22nd, 2011 at 10:12pm

So beautiful and inspiring Anna-Malin. Love the colour pallet you’ve used and the idea with the wallpapers.
    Karin A´s last blog post ..Getting lost

46. fenny setiawan commented
    May 23rd, 2011 at 5:22am

I love your new working space Anna, It also give me few idea as I am in the midst of renovating our new house and dedicated one little corner for our study room and working space. I like the pale color palette yet still very lively. And also the idea to use washi tape to make moodboard on the wall :)
    Thanks for sharing.
    fenny setiawan´s last blog post ..Happy weekend the door is closed

47. dagný björg* commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 1:06am

love, love your workspace. kudos *
    dagný björg*´s last blog post ..Iceland today

48. Veronica commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 1:13am

These are some great ideas! Thanks for sharing them!

49. Kelly commented
    May 24th, 2011 at 7:01pm

Can you tell me where the star runner is from please? Lovely space!

50. Interior Junkie commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 11:27am

Great ideas!
    At the moment I’m decorating our work room so this is very good inspiration!
    Interior Junkie´s last blog post ..Corner

51. chapman commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 3:31pm

amazing ! and the pictures are just beautiful !
    chapman´s last blog post ..Post-it maison !

52. Victoria @ Mira Molly Malee commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 9:02pm

Vill också ha en sån arbetsplats! Du inspirerar :-)
    /Kram Victoria

53. Anna-Malin commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 9:33pm

To Kelly:

The star runner is from the Swedish company called Pappelina.

Best wishes
    Anna-Malin
    Anna-Malin´s last blog post ..Ett hjärtligt tack och dagens tips från Spira

54. mer commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 6:53am

stunning Anna
    mer´s last blog post ..April flowers- bring

55. Lauren commented
    May 31st, 2011 at 7:08pm

It’s so simple yet SO beautiful! It’s absolutely inspiring! Could you tell me where you purchased those clips that hold your wallpaper samples? I love them! I want to hang many things from some twine or something and these clips are very classy and simple;) Thanks!

56. Naja commented
    December 3rd, 2011 at 4:39pm

Sooo nice.
    But I have to ask you about something, and I reall hope you will answer. I live in Denmark and I really want this table. BUT I can’t find exactly the same as yours.
    I can see that the legs of the table is this one: http://www.ikea.com/dk/da/catalog/products/80150095/

And the “tabletop” is like this but in white: http://www.ikea.com/dk/da/catalog/products/S39892962/

But how have you made it to one table? :-)
    I really hope you can help me, I want it sooo bad!!

Love Naja Kofoed from Denmark.

57. buubok commented
    April 5th, 2012 at 12:04pm

very inspiring. I love this arrangements, especially because my favorite color tones in gray shades.

58. Anna Crowe commented
    February 19th, 2014 at 12:52am

This is absolutely amazing! I work from home and have been going back and forth on my design for my office space and this is super helpful. I’ve been using this design inspiration for my office because I’m loving the pop of color. I love your use of the black and white contrast with the calm little blue color. It’s really amazing and very inspirational!
    Anna Crowe´s last blog post ..Walt Disney is someone every entrepreneur should aspire to be…

59. Anna Crowe commented