Rooms

Handmade Home: A Quick Office Nook Transformation

May 19, 2011

Hello everyone, it’s Anna-Malin here with Handmade Home and a quick office nook transformation to inspire you today. If you recall, I’m the “new girl” on decor8 who writes once a month about handmade living and little creative projects that I do around my house to refresh my decor on a budget. All of the decorating that I do also lifts my spirits and keeps me creative! Here in Sweden we are enjoying the most wonderful spring and with spring comes creativity. So this time I would like to show you how I redecorated my workspace.

Handmade Home: A Quick Office Nook Transformation

First, I moved the turquoise cabinet (Remember? It’s here and shown below) to the garage, and now it is waiting for me to find a new place for it. I placed the desk where the cabinet was and got started on my office nook transformation.

Handmade Home: A Quick Office Nook Transformation

Before (above)

Handmade Home: A Quick Office Nook Transformation

After (above)

I wanted to bring more pictures of things that inspires me so I thought a moodboard on the wall would be perfect. I started by printing some of my favorite photos and then I put them on the desk to see how they would work out together. I also used color swatches in different, subtle colors and then I started to build a large collage on my wall above my desk using masking tape.

Handmade Home: A Quick Office Nook Transformation

Handmade Home: A Quick Office Nook Transformation

Then I bought a wooden shelf for storing some of my brushes, interiors books and other inspiring stuff. I had some wallpaper and other beautiful paper that I’ve collected over time so I decided to hang them on a wire and I placed the rest into a zinc basket on the floor.

Handmade Home: A Quick Office Nook Transformation

Handmade Home: A Quick Office Nook Transformation

Handmade Home: A Quick Office Nook Transformation

Handmade Home: A Quick Office Nook Transformation

I really like my newly decorated work place. It feels personal and so “me”. Here are some views of my kitchen and you can find other things that I’ve done recently to decorate my home here.

Handmade Home: A Quick Office Nook Transformation

I hope that you have enjoyed seeing my new workspace. Thank you for having me and I’ll see you again in June!

xo, Anna-Malin

(photos: anna-malin lindgren)

You Might Also Like

59 Comments

• Reply Tina Ramchandani May 19, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Thanks for sharing! I’ve been planning on updating my home office space and decided that this weekend is when its going to happen. Hope mine looks half as great as this!

• Reply Marie May 19, 2011 at 8:12 pm

LOVE this space :)
    xx Marie

• Reply alex May 19, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Simply stunning! I love the monochromatic palette and the strong graphic influence!

• Reply Desiree Fawn May 19, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Looks great! :)

• Reply Vicky May 19, 2011 at 8:29 pm

Holly,
    Thanks fr sharing another great post! Could you please do me a favor? Stop putting so much pressure on your readers…after this post I now have to go home and work on my nook and I don’t even have one. You are the bestest :)

• Reply Will May 19, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Your grey hues have really reminded me just how lovely a scheme in this palette can look. A lovely workspace you have – thank you for sharing it with us.

• Reply Shari May 19, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Beautiful work space and home… really inspiring! I wish you could come to my house and help me out! I definitely want to make things more visually appealing in my studio… It seems so hard to do when you have no storage space.

• Reply Glenda Childers May 19, 2011 at 8:48 pm

So glad you are here Anna-Malin. Your office turned out so inspirational. Thanks for the practical ideas.

Fondly,
    Glenda

• Reply elisa May 19, 2011 at 8:51 pm

oh, it is exquisite! i have been wanting to put up little bits of things to inspire me as i work, i love how you did it right on the wall. my studio has a strong diagonal over the space (steps) like this, it would work well with this too. and i adore the beautiful tones x

• Reply Westclox May 19, 2011 at 9:08 pm

I always wind up oohing and ahhing through your posts. You never cease to amaze me with how well you decorate. If I lived closer I would totally have some advice on where your turquoise cabinet could stay for awhile ;-) I definitely could find a room for it. Thanks for always sharing your beautiful decorating talents.

• Reply Becky D@KingsDownRoad May 19, 2011 at 9:18 pm

truly gorgeous!!

• Reply Rachel May 19, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Wow, love it! I am never disappointed when i get on your site – love your style!

• Reply Jacilyn May 19, 2011 at 9:49 pm

What an inspiring space! I just love the idea of your bits of inspiration in a monochromatic scheme. And I must hang my rolled papers too. What a great idea!

• Reply Andreia May 19, 2011 at 10:25 pm

Amazing! I loved the transformation! So inspiring!

• Reply Penelope@thirdroomstudio May 19, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Fantastic to see your space, it’s given me some good ideas!

• Reply Claire May 19, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Oh, I love this office space. The black/white/grey colour palette leaves plenty of space for thinking. x

• Reply leah May 20, 2011 at 4:34 am

A lovely workspace you – thank you for sharing it with us. I love all you do. Thank you…

• Reply MelanieO May 20, 2011 at 4:47 am

A beautiful and inspiring transformation. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente May 20, 2011 at 4:58 am

ABSOLUTELY gorgeous! You did such a great job Anna! I love it & love the palette. So beautiful & peaceful. I also LOVE the runner in your kitchen ( it is yours, yes?) where is it from? It is so wonderful!
    xo
    Melis

• Reply MD Interior Design May 20, 2011 at 5:08 am

This study nook is super stylish and sophisticated as always anna-malin. Thankyou for the inspiration!
    xMichelle

• Reply Mrs Bok May 20, 2011 at 5:16 am

Gorgeous space Anna! Your home is so lovely. More please!

• Reply Jayca May 20, 2011 at 6:48 am

If I had one decorating wish, it would be that my handwriting would turn out as interesting and dynamic as Anna-Malin’s on her chalkboard.

I think perhaps I would churn out stationary and text art like a fiend at that point.

And I would no longer put my grocery list on Remember The Milk:)

• Reply meenal @ maison marigold May 20, 2011 at 8:56 am

love the black and white palette..so serene and sophisticated ..thanks for sharing..have a lovely day! xx meenal

• Reply Kirsti May 20, 2011 at 10:32 am

I love your new work space!!! I’m a big fan of white, black and grey as well…
    Kirsti

• Reply Cristina May 20, 2011 at 11:03 am

So nice! (both your workspace and home!)
    I would call “industrial sophisticated” style
    Black & white give the sophisticated and materials like metal, iron and glass give the industrial ;-)

• Reply Meghan @ My Wishful Thinking May 20, 2011 at 11:12 am

Wow wow and wow again! It’s fantastic! The composition and the contents of the photos are so interesting! I love has the whole space seems to ‘fit’ into the slant of the wall! I really feel inspired to go and tidy up my desk space now!

• Reply Elisa May 20, 2011 at 12:06 pm

this table is great! i love these pics and the grey colour shades.

• Reply MissNara May 20, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I’m so hooked on home office decoration ideas. As a small business owner, it’s just so refreshing to see all these new pictures and to get inspired. Aahhh, love the fresh breezy look.

• Reply Rachel @ Little Bits of Lovely May 20, 2011 at 2:33 pm

I love what you have done; black and white is my favourite colour palette, it looks incredible!

• Reply iHanna May 20, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Wow, these images are just gooorgeous! I want to live like that, what a dream place!

• Reply Ruth May 20, 2011 at 2:54 pm

I love your workspace, it’s gorgeous.

I am heading over to visit your blog.

Ruth

• Reply Nina Lamb May 20, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Thank you Anna-Malin for sharing your workspace. I follow your blog and was excited to see an area of your home here on decor8 that I hadn’t seen before. You are as always a great inspiration!

• Reply KSalty May 20, 2011 at 3:31 pm

So gorgeous – the black, white and grey tones work so well together. I like the star runner in the kitchen too.

• Reply Traveling Mama May 20, 2011 at 4:01 pm

What a beautiful and inspiring transformation! I love this column!

• Reply barbara May 20, 2011 at 4:53 pm

Beautiful reorganize. I like that you hung the photos directly on the wall with tape. I especially love the rolled papers hanging on the clips. You may have mentioned before, but where is the desk/drafting table from? Oh, I also seriously covet the turquoise shelves.

• Reply vasu May 20, 2011 at 5:16 pm

lovely transformation…..love the black and white theme

• Reply FWD May 20, 2011 at 6:07 pm

LOVE the nook especially. Great color!

• Reply nap atelier May 20, 2011 at 6:33 pm

What could I say about it?! It’s just perfect.
    Have a great day!
    Love,
    Darija

• Reply Anna-Malin May 20, 2011 at 7:06 pm

Thank you!! I´m so glad you all liked it!

Barbara: The desk is from IKEA :)

xo Anna-Malin

• Reply Emily May 20, 2011 at 8:12 pm

I love the color plan here. Great use of space, too. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply able mabel May 20, 2011 at 8:16 pm

If I had a workspace like that, I wouldn’t get any work done since I’d be too busy thinking about how pretty the space is! ;)

• Reply Angie May 20, 2011 at 9:08 pm

SO great! I’m currently helping a friend put together her workspace… it will defintiely need to foster creativity as she is a writer. Love what you did… very creatively fruitfull!

• Reply Cynthia@Beach Coast Style May 21, 2011 at 12:30 am

Ahhh I love this! she has a new blog reader. the little office place was so neat and tidy and love what she did with the paper hanging.

• Reply Karoline May 21, 2011 at 1:14 am

And who said monochromatic is boring? This is beautiful!

• Reply Karin A May 22, 2011 at 10:12 pm

So beautiful and inspiring Anna-Malin. Love the colour pallet you’ve used and the idea with the wallpapers.

• Reply fenny setiawan May 23, 2011 at 5:22 am

I love your new working space Anna, It also give me few idea as I am in the midst of renovating our new house and dedicated one little corner for our study room and working space. I like the pale color palette yet still very lively. And also the idea to use washi tape to make moodboard on the wall :)
    Thanks for sharing.

• Reply dagný björg* May 24, 2011 at 1:06 am

love, love your workspace. kudos *

• Reply Veronica May 24, 2011 at 1:13 am

These are some great ideas! Thanks for sharing them!

• Reply Kelly May 24, 2011 at 7:01 pm

Can you tell me where the star runner is from please? Lovely space!

• Reply Interior Junkie May 25, 2011 at 11:27 am

Great ideas!
    At the moment I’m decorating our work room so this is very good inspiration!

• Reply chapman May 25, 2011 at 3:31 pm

amazing ! and the pictures are just beautiful !

• Reply Victoria @ Mira Molly Malee May 25, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Vill också ha en sån arbetsplats! Du inspirerar :-)
    /Kram Victoria

• Reply Anna-Malin May 25, 2011 at 9:33 pm

To Kelly:

The star runner is from the Swedish company called Pappelina.

Best wishes
    Anna-Malin

• Reply mer May 26, 2011 at 6:53 am

stunning Anna

• Reply Lauren May 31, 2011 at 7:08 pm

It’s so simple yet SO beautiful! It’s absolutely inspiring! Could you tell me where you purchased those clips that hold your wallpaper samples? I love them! I want to hang many things from some twine or something and these clips are very classy and simple;) Thanks!

• Reply Naja December 3, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Sooo nice.
    But I have to ask you about something, and I reall hope you will answer. I live in Denmark and I really want this table. BUT I can’t find exactly the same as yours.
    I can see that the legs of the table is this one: http://www.ikea.com/dk/da/catalog/products/80150095/

And the “tabletop” is like this but in white: http://www.ikea.com/dk/da/catalog/products/S39892962/

But how have you made it to one table? :-)
    I really hope you can help me, I want it sooo bad!!

Love Naja Kofoed from Denmark.

• Reply buubok April 5, 2012 at 12:04 pm

very inspiring. I love this arrangements, especially because my favorite color tones in gray shades.

• Reply Anna Crowe February 19, 2014 at 12:52 am

This is absolutely amazing! I work from home and have been going back and forth on my design for my office space and this is super helpful. I’ve been using this design inspiration for my office because I’m loving the pop of color. I love your use of the black and white contrast with the calm little blue color. It’s really amazing and very inspirational!

• Reply Anna Crowe February 19, 2014 at 12:53 am