Home Tours

An 1850’s Converted American Farmhouse

May 25, 2011

As an American living in Germany, I’ve noticed that the longer I’ve lived outside of my home country (it will be two years in August), the more American architecture stands out to me as being, well, really American. I finally “get” what my friends once said to me when they traveled to the states and swooned over every New England style farmhouse that they saw on the way from the airport to my converted circa 1875 carriage house in Hollis, New Hampshire where I lived. And I finally get exactly why they loved my little converted home set on a huge apple orchard complete with a backyard pond. It really was the quintessential New England home but at the time, it was just a cute little house where I lived – I didn’t see it as being so charming…

An 1850s Converted American Farmhouse

Truth is, New England villages with their farmhouses, carriage houses and dairy farms are quite gorgeous and very, very American and now that I’ve distanced myself from all of that I do see it as very charming, too.

Then you have the gorgeous farmhouses in New York, especially the as you drive north out of Manhattan and just keep going… the land gets greener and more beautiful with each mile. I’ll never forget the summers and winters that I once spent at my friends farmhouse in Granville, New York and also in another small town outside of Lake George, I cannot remember the name of at the moment, but it was so nice there. It’s such an amazing part of the country.

It’s funny, daily sightings become so mundane to us — even here as I am surrounded by gorgeous Jugenstil villas and some buildings that are hundreds of years old, I often forget how amazing the local architecture really is. I guess that’s why I want to share this 1850’s American farmhouse in Rhinebeck, NY submitted to me by photographer Emily Gilbert for Rue today. For one, I felt a wave of nostalgia for the American farmhouse the second I saw it and the second reason is because I know that so many Americans dream of living abroad, especially in Europe, but America has so many beautiful things that you’d eventually miss if you relocated elsewhere so I guess you really have to stop and smell the roses. There is so much beauty just around the corner… Take for example this lovely countryside gem…

An 1850s Converted American Farmhouse

An 1850s Converted American Farmhouse

An 1850s Converted American Farmhouse

An 1850s Converted American Farmhouse

An 1850s Converted American Farmhouse

An 1850s Converted American Farmhouse

An 1850s Converted American Farmhouse

An 1850s Converted American Farmhouse

An 1850s Converted American Farmhouse

If this house looks familiar to you, it’s in the current issue of Rue magazine though they gave me a bunch of extra shots to blog about (thanks, Rue!) because they ran out of space to cover the entire house. I’m so happy that they sent this farmhouse for me to publish on decor8 because I think it’s lovely and I really like all of the details inside from the tufted gray chaise to the Madeline Weinrib rug beneath the dining room table, the golden XO stencil detail on the wooden door layered behind the headboard, the adorable dog jumping in to many of the photos (what a little super model!), the painted minty-green legs on the table, the cocktail styling on the credenza complete with a bottle of Bombay Sapphire (a good stylist always uses one bottle of the blue stuff in a shot!) and the basket full of towels in the bathroom — I love the details and the stylist, Meagan Camp, did such a beautiful job in making this home feel cozy and casual.

About the home: This 160-year farmhouse has only had four families living in it – including the current Camp family — since it was built. The previous residents raised six children and, “were host to grand parties that have since become local legend,” says owner Lisa Camp. Lisa found the home in 1999 but sadly the home was near collapse as it had been inhabited, not by people for several years, but by raccoons, snakes and termites. Still, Lisa had vision and recognized it’s potential, especially since, “It reminded me of a house that I grew up in,” she explains. Since her husband, Rod, then living in California, left the house-hunting up to her, she chose the run down farmhouse and got to work. For eight months, the Camps and their three children had to live in the guesthouse on the property during construction but in the end, as you can see above in the gorgeous photos, it was worth the short term inconveniences.

What a lovely home! Do you spot any decorating details that you’d like to try at home?

(images: emily gilbert)

You Might Also Like

• Reply AnnaKlara May 25, 2011 at 8:32 pm

Wow, you were right, this IS a really great place! SO pretty and it seems like a really comfy home…

• Reply Lisa May 25, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Oh how lovely! I love that table so much! And I want to try the “XO” stencils above the headboard — what a brilliant touch!

• Reply Alyssa May 25, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Couldn’t agree more. We live in a really beautiful rural neighborhood in the cutest little house that I love but will soon be moving to Toronto:(

• Reply Kate May 25, 2011 at 8:55 pm

So beautiful. Makes me miss driving through the Kentucky countryside and spotting all of the beautiful farmhouses — both new and very old.

• Reply Liz @ Snarky Beagle May 25, 2011 at 8:58 pm

What a beautiful house! I agree on the details. I love the watering cans in the dining room. The floors are so lovely, too. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Ginger May 25, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Gorgeous House. I love it all. I can’t imagine not living in the US. I always imagine though that it is much prettier in other parts of the world. Funny how we fail to appreciate the beauty under our own noses sometimes.

• Reply kat May 25, 2011 at 9:10 pm

what a beautiful cozy place…very welcoming! Love the door(?) behind the headboard of the bed, with the stencil attached…very cool!

• Reply Emelie - fiffiga systrar May 25, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Lovely pictures! I love the New England style! Thanks for good reading!
    / Emelie – fiffiga systrar

• Reply raina Kattelson May 25, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Nice shout out for Meagan- she’s great. Great shoot.

• Reply Kelley May 25, 2011 at 9:34 pm

I adore those little dog figurines!

• Reply able mabel May 25, 2011 at 9:52 pm

I need to start adding more fresh flowers into my decor. I love the texture and softness it gives to a room.

• Reply Pingos do Céu May 25, 2011 at 9:56 pm

I love old houses.
    Make us think about all the families who live there, all the history of those walls.
    The detail I love the most is that floor! I simple adore wooden floors! Beautiful!

• Reply meenal @ maison marigold May 25, 2011 at 9:59 pm

i loved this house when i first saw it on rue..so beautiful and yes lived-in..the best attribute a house can ( and must) have..thanks for sharing again..have a lovely day..xx meenal

• Reply Will May 25, 2011 at 10:01 pm

This is SO gorgeous! I love the living room and the bathroom is just dreamy.

• Reply Kaleidoscopica ? May 25, 2011 at 10:13 pm

Nice images! I love the rustic style!

• Reply sécia May 25, 2011 at 10:20 pm

• Reply Lila Ferraro May 25, 2011 at 10:42 pm

I’d love to try that gorgeous wall piece over that vignette. It’s a candelabra but, not! I love it!
    Lila Ferraro

• Reply Heather @ Post Road May 25, 2011 at 10:45 pm

Thanks for sharing this! Wow.. what a beautiful space!

• Reply Arielle May 25, 2011 at 11:03 pm

I love this house! So adoreable on so many levels. I just bought your book, Holly and I love it!

• Reply Kat May 25, 2011 at 11:57 pm

Oh I love that white chandelier over the rustic farmhouse type table and bench. Something about the contrast just totally works. Gorgeous post holly
    Kat xoxo

• Reply BringingPrettyBack May 26, 2011 at 1:42 am

That headboard with the XO is so cool!
    Have a pretty day!

• Reply Kristin johnsen May 26, 2011 at 2:12 am

Love the figurines on the mantle – and as others have pointed out, the xo stencils on the headboard – great touch! Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Chuzai Living May 26, 2011 at 2:35 am

I agree that there is so much beauty to the American country living. I didn’t appreciate the beauty of my home country, Japan, until I left and when I see beautiful photos from Japan, they make me nostalgic. I love how Lisa combined the rustic vintage furniture and modern white chairs and then chandelier. White wall and gray bench look lovely. Amazing work Lisa and her husband have done.

• Reply Deanna May 26, 2011 at 2:56 am

Love the detail – I want the arch doorway!!

• Reply katy May 26, 2011 at 3:03 am

Totally love the mix of items and how they were used in this space! Blessings, Katy

• Reply Debbie Denness May 26, 2011 at 3:27 am

Lovely post as always………thank you . Just wanted to also say read your post on anthropology and i am so excited for my friend over at Rosies Armoire as she has now got some of her beautiful handmade purses on sale there…go take a peep at her blog entry .
    Thank you again for all your inspiration

• Reply Natalia May 26, 2011 at 3:45 am

This is beautiful! Definitely my style of home. :)

• Reply annette May 26, 2011 at 4:27 am

SO good!

• Reply Stacie Staub May 26, 2011 at 4:40 am

Wow, I love everything about this place. LOVE the floors. Love.

• Reply Annie May 26, 2011 at 5:09 am

I was so tickled when I read this post, because I live in that wonderful part of New York (I cannot agree more about the charm of this area!), and just this Saturday my husband & I spent the day in Rhinebeck!

The thing that strikes me about this house is the balance of warm & cool colors on the walls – the cool greys & blues and warm neutrals. It really opens it up, and speaks to the fresh air, open windowed wonder of growing up or living in this beautiful part of the world. I wish all styled photographs had tags that included the details of the paint colors! How ’bout an ap for that!?

• Reply peggy May 26, 2011 at 6:01 am

Hi, I actually don’t agree, daily sightings don’t become mundane to me. I never tire of the architecture of my city. I live in a typical (if there is such a thing) post-industrial city that is dilapidating, and even that is a fascinating sight. I always see beauty all around me.

I do find this home to beautiful, but after you talked about the New England architecture I expected to see something a little more indigenous. Don’t get me wrong, I love this home and it’s decor, but it could just as easily have been a home from Scandinavia.

• Reply Kaleen May 26, 2011 at 6:03 am

Oh gosh! This is like my dream way of life. So lovely…I took note of the firewood-filled fireplace and the lazy bedding for my own home.

• Reply Lily from Birch + Bird May 26, 2011 at 6:14 am

So beautiful! I love everything from the scrubbed wood floors to those bathroom light fixtures…thanks for sharing!

• Reply KMS May 26, 2011 at 6:31 am

swoon, swoon, swoon!! one of my favorites ever — the wideplank floors had me at hello. :)

• Reply mer May 26, 2011 at 6:49 am

definitely my fav. home in the recent Rue mag

• Reply NotCathy May 26, 2011 at 7:29 am

I think I’ll need to add more fresh flowers into my decor same as yours. I love the texture and softness of the interior designs.. Love it!.

• Reply la boom! May 26, 2011 at 9:33 am

This house is amazing!! I love the bedroom!

• Reply Amelia@ Home Decors May 26, 2011 at 11:31 am

Do you spot any decorating details that you’d like to try at home?

For me, I would love to try the wooden flooring and the drawer cabinet. However, I’m afraid that the flooring would require too much maintenance. I’m a busy mom, taking care of two children. I would not have enough time cleaning and giving it some wax.

But I definitely would like to have the cabinet someday. It looks royal and elegant. Maybe if I’ll redo my living room after summer, I will have this cabinet’s look.

• Reply jenni May 26, 2011 at 11:43 am

Absolutley love this house, I already have the westie now I just need to work on the beautiful furniture!

• Reply Melissa- Miss Sew & So May 26, 2011 at 12:26 pm

Hi Holly,
    I’ve just listened to your fab interview with Darren Rowse, whilst I organised my sewing studio…what a perfect way to spend an hour!

You just sound delightful, honest, inspiring & so grounded , considering all of your achievements!

So, of course, I had to head over here immediately to see what you have for us all today.
    i visit all the time, but rarely leave a message, until today -as you said in your interview, that one of the most important things in blogging- was to personally read all your comments.
    That acknowledgement of your readers just meant so much to me…a huge blogger talking about the parts of blogging I adore!

So…here I am…thinking that I love those industrial lights above the twin bathroom sinks….the seriously lovely bar….{the candle holder on the wall is incredible!!} & that there is nothing like a *chippy* bench seat next to Eames inspired chairs around a dining table…

I’m living in England from Australia, each week I get more inspired by the blogs I read, to uproot & discover America.

Thankyou….Melissa x

• Reply decor8 May 26, 2011 at 1:17 pm

@Melissa – Wow, what a nice comment you’ve left for me today – thank you so much and I like what you said about how blogs inspire you, “to uproot & discover.” So true!!!

• Reply Zsa Zsa May 26, 2011 at 1:01 pm

So lovely, cozy and casual! Makes you want to buy a house in the countryside! :) The history is amazing too!

• Reply Trina May 26, 2011 at 3:34 pm

Oh, I hope the little town outside of Lake George was Glens Falls. I grew up in that quaint upstate NY town, and no matter where I am in the world, it’s the only place that feels like home, complete with rolling farmland, Adirondack Mountain foothills, and some of the most beautifully restored farmhouses you’ll find anywhere (but I may be biased!).

• Reply decologue May 26, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Wow, this is beautiful. Especially, the choice of wall colors are very successful, it gives a soothing feeling. I also love the bathroom, and the dining table. Very cozy!

• Reply {COZAMIA} May 26, 2011 at 3:49 pm

You can’t beat the the architecture and character of an old home, specially one in the countryside, these photos make me want to up and leave the city NOW!

• Reply Midwest Magnolia - Melissa Lewis May 26, 2011 at 3:52 pm

Oh my stars, these are gorgeous pictures. I am in love with the bed and the use of old furniture behind the headboard…not as the headboard itself!

• Reply heather May 26, 2011 at 4:05 pm

this makes my heart hurt, i love it so!

• Reply melissa May 26, 2011 at 5:03 pm

The arch in that doorway is stunning.

• Reply Jen @ chicagobungalov May 26, 2011 at 5:15 pm

This house is amazing. What I would do to have a farmhouse. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Deb Van May 26, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Yes, what a beautiful farmhouse. You certainly have a flair for decorating, really gives the rooms personality.

• Reply Lauren May 26, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Yes, you’re right, it is a gem! Absolutely head over heels in love with this!

I would like to try everything because I love it all! The dining room table with that amazing bench are two of my favorites though :)

• Reply steven May 26, 2011 at 9:14 pm

what a lovely lovely house, but from the pics above, I would most like to try the cowboy.. he would look lovely in my house… he can leave his horse outside…xx

• Reply handz May 26, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Very very nice, love the shot with the fireplace, so cozy.

• Reply Erika May 27, 2011 at 1:05 am

Has anyone found any mention of the wall paint colors? I looked through the RUE issue online and didn’t see them in the sources. But that pale blue is pretty much my holy grail color right now for my entry… Any suggestions?

• Reply Emma May 27, 2011 at 3:13 am

It’s true Holly that the grass is always greener. I often get comments about our rural lifestyle and Australian countryside from overseas readers (or even Aussie ones in Melb/Syd) and you really do have to remind yourself of your reality vs. others. I’m really interested in farmhouse styles and how they relate/reflect on each other – American/Danish/German/Australian/English, especially as I slowly but surely decorate our home in an ‘Australian Country Style’.

• Reply Christina Diaz May 27, 2011 at 7:58 am

This home is truly a dream. I love the quality of light and the way it filters in through the windows. I am also in love with that door headboard/wall decor it is so unique and beautiful!

• Reply Melissa Jaine May 27, 2011 at 8:29 am

Every picture I absolutely love. I could immediately try one detail – allowing my fluffy white dog back up on the bed ;)

• Reply Bromaxco May 27, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Love the sconces! Beautiful and simple house.

Come check out my blog at bromaxcodesign.blogspot.com

• Reply holly May 27, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Where might I find a BIRD Pillow like that one on the sofa?

Do tell. Love this post! Thanks.

• Reply Meagan May 28, 2011 at 3:22 am

Thank you Holly for your wonderful post on our Rue shoot and for all the sweet comments! I’m so happy to see this story has inspired so many. Here’s some more info on credits not listed in Rue…

– Farm Table, Antique Doors behind bed via Fiddlehead Farm in Rhinebeck (Fiddleheadfarm [at] hvc [dot] rr [dot] com)
    – The porcelain dog figurines belonged to the home owner’s grandmother (the little red truck was excavated on the property during renovation!)
    – XO Letters via Artfully Vintage on Etsy (www.etsy.com/listing/73435713/vintage-brass-stencil-letters-xo)
    – Watering cans are antique and have been collected by the homeowner
    – The candelabra is an vintage Italian Tole Candelabra (similar ones can be found on ebay for about $200)
    – Paint colors are BM Wickham Gray (living room), BM Sterling Silver (with Ralph Lauren Candlelight Silver stencil), BM Harpstrings (kitchen), BM Winter Solstice (mudroom) and BM Linen White (bathroom, bedroom)
    – Bathroom lights via Barn Light Electric (http://www.barnlightelectric.com/gooseneck-barn-lights/gooseneck-lighting/barn-light-the-original-12-16-warehouse-shade)
    – Bird Pillows via Paper Trail in Rhinebeck (www.papertrailrhinebeck.com/shop.htm)

As for little dogs and cowboys, these are decorating details fit for any interior ;)

• Reply Sara May 28, 2011 at 7:56 am

I love the bedroom. Everything from that Westie dog, to the rustic headboard, to the basket at the end of the bed. Love those calm colors, too!

• Reply Mary June 22, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I adore this house! And it’s so true about having to remind yourself to not take for granted the beauty that surrounds you every day. I live in New England, and I try to remember that not everybody gets to live in such a gorgeous place.

• Reply Elisa June 26, 2011 at 1:10 pm

I am not a country girl by any means, so it comes as a great surprise to me that after seeing these images I can actually picture myself buying an old farmhouse just so I can convert it into something this gorgeous!

• Reply Shawna January 2, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Beautiful home! Wondering what the name of the tile is that is down on the bathroom floor? Where did you purchase it?

• Reply Christie January 28, 2014 at 9:29 pm

Love this! I’m dying to know where i can get the bedspread in the master bedroom. Do you know?

• Reply Lori Pitts February 9, 2014 at 2:07 am

Where is the day bed from?