An 1850’s Converted American Farmhouse

As an American living in Germany, I’ve noticed that the longer I’ve lived outside of my home country (it will be two years in August), the more American architecture stands out to me as being, well, really American. I finally “get” what my friends once said to me when they traveled to the states and swooned over every New England style farmhouse that they saw on the way from the airport to my converted circa 1875 carriage house in Hollis, New Hampshire where I lived. And I finally get exactly why they loved my little converted home set on a huge apple orchard complete with a backyard pond. It really was the quintessential New England home but at the time, it was just a cute little house where I lived – I didn’t see it as being so charming…

American Farmhouse

Truth is, New England villages with their farmhouses, carriage houses and dairy farms are quite gorgeous and very, very American and now that I’ve distanced myself from all of that I do see it as very charming, too.

Then you have the gorgeous farmhouses in New York, especially the as you drive north out of Manhattan and just keep going… the land gets greener and more beautiful with each mile. I’ll never forget the summers and winters that I once spent at my friends farmhouse in Granville, New York and also in another small town outside of Lake George, I cannot remember the name of at the moment, but it was so nice there. It’s such an amazing part of the country.

It’s funny, daily sightings become so mundane to us — even here as I am surrounded by gorgeous Jugenstil villas and some buildings that are hundreds of years old, I often forget how amazing the local architecture really is. I guess that’s why I want to share this 1850’s American farmhouse in Rhinebeck, NY submitted to me by photographer Emily Gilbert for Rue today. For one, I felt a wave of nostalgia for the American farmhouse the second I saw it and the second reason is because I know that so many Americans dream of living abroad, especially in Europe, but America has so many beautiful things that you’d eventually miss if you relocated elsewhere so I guess you really have to stop and smell the roses. There is so much beauty just around the corner… Take for example this lovely countryside gem…

If this house looks familiar to you, it’s in the current issue of Rue magazine though they gave me a bunch of extra shots to blog about (thanks, Rue!) because they ran out of space to cover the entire house. I’m so happy that they sent this farmhouse for me to publish on decor8 because I think it’s lovely and I really like all of the details inside from the tufted gray chaise to the Madeline Weinrib rug beneath the dining room table, the golden XO stencil detail on the wooden door layered behind the headboard, the adorable dog jumping in to many of the photos (what a little super model!), the painted minty-green legs on the table, the cocktail styling on the credenza complete with a bottle of Bombay Sapphire (a good stylist always uses one bottle of the blue stuff in a shot!) and the basket full of towels in the bathroom — I love the details and the stylist, Meagan Camp, did such a beautiful job in making this home feel cozy and casual.

About the home: This 160-year farmhouse has only had four families living in it – including the current Camp family — since it was built. The previous residents raised six children and, “were host to grand parties that have since become local legend,” says owner Lisa Camp. Lisa found the home in 1999 but sadly the home was near collapse as it had been inhabited, not by people for several years, but by raccoons, snakes and termites. Still, Lisa had vision and recognized it’s potential, especially since, “It reminded me of a house that I grew up in,” she explains. Since her husband, Rod, then living in California, left the house-hunting up to her, she chose the run down farmhouse and got to work. For eight months, the Camps and their three children had to live in the guesthouse on the property during construction but in the end, as you can see above in the gorgeous photos, it was worth the short term inconveniences.

What a lovely home! Do you spot any decorating details that you’d like to try at home?

(images: emily gilbert)

Posted by decor8 in Home Tours on May 25, 2011

1. AnnaKlara commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 8:32pm

Wow, you were right, this IS a really great place! SO pretty and it seems like a really comfy home…

2. Lisa commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 8:34pm

Oh how lovely! I love that table so much! And I want to try the “XO” stencils above the headboard — what a brilliant touch!

3. Alyssa commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 8:51pm

Couldn’t agree more. We live in a really beautiful rural neighborhood in the cutest little house that I love but will soon be moving to Toronto:(

4. Kate commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 8:55pm

So beautiful. Makes me miss driving through the Kentucky countryside and spotting all of the beautiful farmhouses — both new and very old.
    Kate´s last blog post ..some might call it perfect weather

5. Liz @ Snarky Beagle commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 8:58pm

What a beautiful house! I agree on the details. I love the watering cans in the dining room. The floors are so lovely, too. Thanks for sharing!
    Liz @ Snarky Beagle´s last blog post ..See a pattern

6. Ginger commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 9:03pm

Gorgeous House. I love it all. I can’t imagine not living in the US. I always imagine though that it is much prettier in other parts of the world. Funny how we fail to appreciate the beauty under our own noses sometimes.
    Ginger´s last blog post ..A Dance Recital- a Dresser and a Peek

7. kat commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 9:10pm

what a beautiful cozy place…very welcoming! Love the door(?) behind the headboard of the bed, with the stencil attached…very cool!

8. Emelie - fiffiga systrar commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 9:19pm

Lovely pictures! I love the New England style! Thanks for good reading!
    / Emelie – fiffiga systrar
    Emelie – fiffiga systrar´s last blog post ..Solstolar i ny klädsel

9. raina Kattelson commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 9:20pm

Nice shout out for Meagan- she’s great. Great shoot.
    raina Kattelson´s last blog post ..Blogfest

10. Kelley commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 9:34pm

I adore those little dog figurines!
    Kelley´s last blog post ..The Bachelorette- Im Not a Dentist- But I Play One On TV Edition

11. able mabel commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 9:52pm

I need to start adding more fresh flowers into my decor. I love the texture and softness it gives to a room.
    able mabel´s last blog post ..Light Yellow Seashells Fabric Plastic Bag Holder by able mabel on Etsy

12. Pingos do Céu commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 9:56pm

I love old houses.
    Make us think about all the families who live there, all the history of those walls.
    The detail I love the most is that floor! I simple adore wooden floors! Beautiful!
    Pingos do Céu´s last blog post ..Home Decor Pirogravura

13. meenal @ maison marigold commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 9:59pm

i loved this house when i first saw it on rue..so beautiful and yes lived-in..the best attribute a house can ( and must) have..thanks for sharing again..have a lovely day..xx meenal
    meenal @ maison marigold´s last blog post ..Meet the dining table

14. Will commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 10:01pm

This is SO gorgeous! I love the living room and the bathroom is just dreamy.
    Will´s last blog post ..Tommy Hilfigers London Pop Up Shop- Preppy Brights

15. Kaleidoscopica ? commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 10:13pm

Nice images! I love the rustic style!
    Kaleidoscopica ?´s last blog post ..Life is pink

16. sécia commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 10:20pm

Lovely.

-sécia

sécia´s last blog post ..weekend in pictures No3

17. Lila Ferraro commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 10:42pm

I’d love to try that gorgeous wall piece over that vignette. It’s a candelabra but, not! I love it!
    xoxo
    Lila Ferraro

18. Heather @ Post Road commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 10:45pm

Thanks for sharing this! Wow.. what a beautiful space!
    Heather @ Post Road´s last blog post ..Too Much Junk in My Trunk!

19. Arielle commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 11:03pm

I love this house! So adoreable on so many levels. I just bought your book, Holly and I love it!
    Arielle´s last blog post ..My first half marathon

20. Kat commented
    May 25th, 2011 at 11:57pm

Oh I love that white chandelier over the rustic farmhouse type table and bench. Something about the contrast just totally works. Gorgeous post holly
    Kat xoxo
    Kat´s last blog post ..Once upon a time

21. BringingPrettyBack commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 1:42am

That headboard with the XO is so cool!
    Have a pretty day!
    Kristin

22. Kristin johnsen commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 2:12am

Love the figurines on the mantle – and as others have pointed out, the xo stencils on the headboard – great touch! Thanks for sharing!
    Kristin johnsen´s last blog post ..Returning to an old friend

23. Chuzai Living commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 2:35am

I agree that there is so much beauty to the American country living. I didn’t appreciate the beauty of my home country, Japan, until I left and when I see beautiful photos from Japan, they make me nostalgic. I love how Lisa combined the rustic vintage furniture and modern white chairs and then chandelier. White wall and gray bench look lovely. Amazing work Lisa and her husband have done.
    Chuzai Living´s last blog post ..Project KOI XII ☆ Dining Set With Two Types Of Rattan Chairs

24. Deanna commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 2:56am

Love the detail – I want the arch doorway!!

25. katy commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 3:03am

Totally love the mix of items and how they were used in this space! Blessings, Katy
    katy´s last blog post ..Antique- Vintage- Handmade Shows – May

26. Debbie Denness commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 3:27am

Lovely post as always………thank you . Just wanted to also say read your post on anthropology and i am so excited for my friend over at Rosies Armoire as she has now got some of her beautiful handmade purses on sale there…go take a peep at her blog entry .
    Thank you again for all your inspiration
    Debbie

27. Natalia commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 3:45am

This is beautiful! Definitely my style of home. :)

28. annette commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 4:27am

SO good!

29. Stacie Staub commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 4:40am

Wow, I love everything about this place. LOVE the floors. Love.

30. Annie commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 5:09am

I was so tickled when I read this post, because I live in that wonderful part of New York (I cannot agree more about the charm of this area!), and just this Saturday my husband & I spent the day in Rhinebeck!

The thing that strikes me about this house is the balance of warm & cool colors on the walls – the cool greys & blues and warm neutrals. It really opens it up, and speaks to the fresh air, open windowed wonder of growing up or living in this beautiful part of the world. I wish all styled photographs had tags that included the details of the paint colors! How ’bout an ap for that!?

31. peggy commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 6:01am

Hi, I actually don’t agree, daily sightings don’t become mundane to me. I never tire of the architecture of my city. I live in a typical (if there is such a thing) post-industrial city that is dilapidating, and even that is a fascinating sight. I always see beauty all around me.

I do find this home to beautiful, but after you talked about the New England architecture I expected to see something a little more indigenous. Don’t get me wrong, I love this home and it’s decor, but it could just as easily have been a home from Scandinavia.

32. Kaleen commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 6:03am

Oh gosh! This is like my dream way of life. So lovely…I took note of the firewood-filled fireplace and the lazy bedding for my own home.

33. Lily from Birch + Bird commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 6:14am

So beautiful! I love everything from the scrubbed wood floors to those bathroom light fixtures…thanks for sharing!
    Lily from Birch + Bird´s last blog post ..Budget Friendly Decorating

34. KMS commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 6:31am

swoon, swoon, swoon!! one of my favorites ever — the wideplank floors had me at hello. :)
    KMS´s last blog post ..Whole Wheat Dark Chocolate Chip Cookies

35. mer commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 6:49am

definitely my fav. home in the recent Rue mag
    mer´s last blog post ..April flowers- bring

36. NotCathy commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 7:29am

I think I’ll need to add more fresh flowers into my decor same as yours. I love the texture and softness of the interior designs.. Love it!.
    NotCathy´s last blog post ..Eggies System Review Hard-Boiled Brilliance or Egg-Brained Concoction

37. la boom! commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 9:33am

This house is amazing!! I love the bedroom!

38. Amelia@ Home Decors commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 11:31am

Do you spot any decorating details that you’d like to try at home?

For me, I would love to try the wooden flooring and the drawer cabinet. However, I’m afraid that the flooring would require too much maintenance. I’m a busy mom, taking care of two children. I would not have enough time cleaning and giving it some wax.

But I definitely would like to have the cabinet someday. It looks royal and elegant. Maybe if I’ll redo my living room after summer, I will have this cabinet’s look.
    Amelia@ Home Decors´s last blog post ..Improve Your Health with Wooden Wind Chimes and Bamboo Wind Chimes

39. jenni commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 11:43am

Absolutley love this house, I already have the westie now I just need to work on the beautiful furniture!

40. Melissa- Miss Sew & So commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 12:26pm

Hi Holly,
    I’ve just listened to your fab interview with Darren Rowse, whilst I organised my sewing studio…what a perfect way to spend an hour!

You just sound delightful, honest, inspiring & so grounded , considering all of your achievements!

So, of course, I had to head over here immediately to see what you have for us all today.
    i visit all the time, but rarely leave a message, until today -as you said in your interview, that one of the most important things in blogging- was to personally read all your comments.
    That acknowledgement of your readers just meant so much to me…a huge blogger talking about the parts of blogging I adore!

So…here I am…thinking that I love those industrial lights above the twin bathroom sinks….the seriously lovely bar….{the candle holder on the wall is incredible!!} & that there is nothing like a *chippy* bench seat next to Eames inspired chairs around a dining table…

I’m living in England from Australia, each week I get more inspired by the blogs I read, to uproot & discover America.

Thankyou….Melissa x
    Melissa- Miss Sew & So´s last blog post ..a virtual coffee

41. Zsa Zsa commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 1:01pm

So lovely, cozy and casual! Makes you want to buy a house in the countryside! :) The history is amazing too!

42. decor8 commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 1:17pm

@Melissa – Wow, what a nice comment you’ve left for me today – thank you so much and I like what you said about how blogs inspire you, “to uproot & discover.” So true!!!

43. Trina commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 3:34pm

Oh, I hope the little town outside of Lake George was Glens Falls. I grew up in that quaint upstate NY town, and no matter where I am in the world, it’s the only place that feels like home, complete with rolling farmland, Adirondack Mountain foothills, and some of the most beautifully restored farmhouses you’ll find anywhere (but I may be biased!).

44. decologue commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 3:36pm

Wow, this is beautiful. Especially, the choice of wall colors are very successful, it gives a soothing feeling. I also love the bathroom, and the dining table. Very cozy!

45. {COZAMIA} commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 3:49pm

You can’t beat the the architecture and character of an old home, specially one in the countryside, these photos make me want to up and leave the city NOW!

46. Midwest Magnolia - Melissa Lewis commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 3:52pm

Oh my stars, these are gorgeous pictures. I am in love with the bed and the use of old furniture behind the headboard…not as the headboard itself!
    Midwest Magnolia – Melissa Lewis´s last blog post ..Girl’s Day for Craft Hope

47. heather commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 4:05pm

this makes my heart hurt, i love it so!

48. melissa commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 5:03pm

The arch in that doorway is stunning.

49. Jen @ chicagobungalov commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 5:15pm

This house is amazing. What I would do to have a farmhouse. Thanks for sharing!

50. Deb Van commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 6:08pm

Yes, what a beautiful farmhouse. You certainly have a flair for decorating, really gives the rooms personality.
    Deb Van´s last blog post ..Bathroom Lighting

51. Lauren commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 7:36pm

Yes, you’re right, it is a gem! Absolutely head over heels in love with this!

I would like to try everything because I love it all! The dining room table with that amazing bench are two of my favorites though :)
    Lauren´s last blog post ..My humble little garden

52. steven commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 9:14pm

what a lovely lovely house, but from the pics above, I would most like to try the cowboy.. he would look lovely in my house… he can leave his horse outside…xx
    steven´s last blog post ..unintended niceness

53. handz commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 10:10pm

Very very nice, love the shot with the fireplace, so cozy.

54. Erika commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 1:05am

Has anyone found any mention of the wall paint colors? I looked through the RUE issue online and didn’t see them in the sources. But that pale blue is pretty much my holy grail color right now for my entry… Any suggestions?

55. Emma commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 3:13am

It’s true Holly that the grass is always greener. I often get comments about our rural lifestyle and Australian countryside from overseas readers (or even Aussie ones in Melb/Syd) and you really do have to remind yourself of your reality vs. others. I’m really interested in farmhouse styles and how they relate/reflect on each other – American/Danish/German/Australian/English, especially as I slowly but surely decorate our home in an ‘Australian Country Style’.
    Emma´s last blog post ..the organised bride

56. Christina Diaz commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 7:58am

This home is truly a dream. I love the quality of light and the way it filters in through the windows. I am also in love with that door headboard/wall decor it is so unique and beautiful!
    Christina Diaz´s last blog post ..In the Garden With- Tracey Dupre

57. Melissa Jaine commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 8:29am

Every picture I absolutely love. I could immediately try one detail – allowing my fluffy white dog back up on the bed ;)
    x
    Melissa Jaine´s last blog post ..precious space

58. Bromaxco commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 10:26pm

Love the sconces! Beautiful and simple house.

Come check out my blog at bromaxcodesign.blogspot.com

Thanks!

59. holly commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 10:49pm

Where might I find a BIRD Pillow like that one on the sofa?

Do tell. Love this post! Thanks.

60. Meagan commented
    May 28th, 2011 at 3:22am

Thank you Holly for your wonderful post on our Rue shoot and for all the sweet comments! I’m so happy to see this story has inspired so many. Here’s some more info on credits not listed in Rue…

– Farm Table, Antique Doors behind bed via Fiddlehead Farm in Rhinebeck (Fiddleheadfarm [at] hvc [dot] rr [dot] com)
    – The porcelain dog figurines belonged to the home owner’s grandmother (the little red truck was excavated on the property during renovation!)
    – XO Letters via Artfully Vintage on Etsy (www.etsy.com/listing/73435713/vintage-brass-stencil-letters-xo)
    – Watering cans are antique and have been collected by the homeowner
    – The candelabra is an vintage Italian Tole Candelabra (similar ones can be found on ebay for about $200)
    – Paint colors are BM Wickham Gray (living room), BM Sterling Silver (with Ralph Lauren Candlelight Silver stencil), BM Harpstrings (kitchen), BM Winter Solstice (mudroom) and BM Linen White (bathroom, bedroom)
    – Bathroom lights via Barn Light Electric (http://www.barnlightelectric.com/gooseneck-barn-lights/gooseneck-lighting/barn-light-the-original-12-16-warehouse-shade)
    – Bird Pillows via Paper Trail in Rhinebeck (www.papertrailrhinebeck.com/shop.htm)

As for little dogs and cowboys, these are decorating details fit for any interior ;)

61. Sara commented
    May 28th, 2011 at 7:56am

I love the bedroom. Everything from that Westie dog, to the rustic headboard, to the basket at the end of the bed. Love those calm colors, too!

62. Mary commented
    June 22nd, 2011 at 5:51pm

I adore this house! And it’s so true about having to remind yourself to not take for granted the beauty that surrounds you every day. I live in New England, and I try to remember that not everybody gets to live in such a gorgeous place.

63. Elisa commented
    June 26th, 2011 at 1:10pm

I am not a country girl by any means, so it comes as a great surprise to me that after seeing these images I can actually picture myself buying an old farmhouse just so I can convert it into something this gorgeous!

64. Shawna commented
    January 2nd, 2012 at 7:03pm

Beautiful home! Wondering what the name of the tile is that is down on the bathroom floor? Where did you purchase it?

65. Christie commented
    January 28th, 2014 at 9:29pm

Meagan,

Love this! I’m dying to know where i can get the bedspread in the master bedroom. Do you know?

66. Lori Pitts commented
    February 9th, 2014 at 2:07am

Where is the day bed from?