Pinteresting Quotes

So it’s time for my Thursday Pinterest column, though I won’t continue doing it because some photographers are really against it and after my first Pinterest post, I got a lot of slack from a few people whom I featured and I really don’t want to deal with that going forward. They were nice enough, but they seem to dislike sites like Pinterest (I loooove it on the other hand) so for now I’m going to just forget my idea to spotlight the finds I come across on Pinterest. My final “pinned” post is dedicated to quotes because I love them so much — a book without quotes, a magazine without quotes, I don’t know… it’s just not the same for me. I love little thoughts randomly scattered, quick bites of inspiration… So here are some for you. I bet at least one of them your mother said, in fact I bet you 10 bucks!

Quotes Worth Repeating

quotes1

“Small things become great when done with love” by Because It’s Awesome.
“To live is the rarest thing in the world, most people exist, that is all” – via Ms. Valo.
“I believe in pink” designed and sold by Elissa Hudson.
“Everything happens for a reason” by the Love Shop.
“Happy girls are the prettiest” via Ache.
“Be awesome today” – Lucius Art.
“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle” by Wren Fern (no website).
“Don’t forget to be awesome” by Super Swoon.
“Today is a new day.” – Unknown, please tell me so I can linky link it. Found! It’s from Erin Jane Art Prints (thank you Nicky!).

What are some of YOUR favorite quotes anyway? Do you have something to share that your mother always said? Go ahead, make me laugh. My mother was the quote queen you guys…. she was always telling me something she read somewhere — or heard from her very quotable mother. What a riot.

(images linked to their source above.)

Posted by decor8 in uncategorized on May 26, 2011

1. H is for Home (Adelle) commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 8:41pm

I’ve been enjoying lots of these on Pinterest too! I especially like this one:

2. Wendy from Wendys Hat commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 8:46pm

I enjoyed your pinterest finds but I have encountered people that don’t like pinterest either. I happen to love it’s convenience. My wordy board here http://pinterest.com/wendyshat/story-of-my-life/ and a funny one just for you to laugh here! http://pinterest.com/pin/2967468/ I love your words of wisdom! Thanks for sharing!
    Wendy from Wendys Hat´s last blog post ..Applique Pillow Sewing

3. Brooke H commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 8:52pm

This post is fantastic, I want to print them all! Sorry you won’t be moving forward with the column, but at least we’ll still have your etsy tuesday picks. :)
    Brooke H´s last blog post ..New to the shop- Bride Note Cards

4. Trish commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 8:53pm

Oh bummer…I wish you could go on….but understand about people being offended, no use to upset folks. However, I will most certainly continue watching for your pins on Pinterest! ….and yes, I owe you Ten Bucks! ;)
    Trish´s last blog post ..Midnight Maidsa Cinderella Treasury Story

5. Annette commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 8:54pm

Sorry, but my mom never would have said any of those things. Perhaps your mom was more awesome than mine. LOL.

6. tams commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 8:56pm

That Plato quote is a heartbreaker. SO true.

7. winter commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 9:01pm

So many quotes come to mind!

“Those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind”

“Most likely, the universe is unfolding as it should…”

“Do what you love, love what you do”

So many! So Many!
    “Put your paddle in the water and just paddle…”

8. Jennifer commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 9:01pm

That seems silly to me that anyone would be angry to see their work up on Pinterest. I’d be flattered! It seems like Pinterest is better than other image bookmarking sites because the image has to link back to it’s origin. Most pins I see credit their owner/maker/website. I also discover so many artists and photographers by browsing through other people’s pins.

As far as quotes, my favorite from my Grandmother was “Just keep going till you hit something.” She usually said it while maneuvering into parking spots!

9. Andrea Hatch commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 9:05pm

These are so awesome!!
    I’m definitely going to have to recreate the little “Be Awesome Today” one. What a hoot!! The green one is my favorite, though.

10. Katie commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 9:07pm

Lovely!
    The first one thats comes to mind – ‘accept the inevitable’ and ‘many a true word spoken in jest’!
    Katie´s last blog post ..Charleston House

11. Julia commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 9:07pm

Why would anyone publishing their work not wanting being featured by you?

It’s sad to see this column go, because I’m resisting pinterest with all my might… I think I’d never resurfaced again to the world outside my laptop if I opened an account there.

Thanks for sharing a glimpse of the less than glamorous parts of your work life.

12. Kelly Anderson commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 9:10pm

My Mom and I share quotes via email almost every day! I love them. One of my favorites:

“Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.” ~Helen Keller

13. natalie @calliopeboutique commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 9:11pm

I love Pinterest for quotes! It inspired my new blog series, {Food for Thought}, where I pair a favorite thought with a favorite recipe each week. For those interested, you can catch up on previous and upcoming Food for Thought posts at A Muse + Delight. (My fav this week: “The creative adult is the child who survived.”)

Btw, I love the Be Kind (Plato) and New Day quotes above. The New Day quote reminds me of Anne’s “today is a new day, with no mistakes in it… yet.”

14. steven commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 9:19pm

“a big life is expensive, a small life is priceless”

I tell myself this everyday… my ex wanted everything, but i was happy with nothing… thats why hes my ex…
    steven´s last blog post ..unintended niceness

15. mosey commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 9:21pm

Well i like your pinterest posts. People are so weird.
    mosey´s last blog post ..windows to the sky

16. Kajsa commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 9:26pm

Sad to hear that, as a RSS&pin-o-holic I love these features that lets me find even more lovely inspiration out there, both boards on Pinterest and artists to follow elsewhere.
    But I do understand your decision! I have been thinking about what my pinning is doing to others, and trying to balance the sourcing of finds with the urge to share all the loveliness instantly, is not an easy task.
    I just want to spread the word about these amazing artists/designers/photographers/curators/products, for others to be inspired and for the artists to benefit.

Thank you for the Pinteresting columns you do have posted!

17. nicky commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 9:38pm

the Today is a New Day is from Erin Jane on etsy http://www.etsy.com/shop/erinjaneshop
    i have it in green and love it!
    nicky´s last blog post ..Paislee Lane Headband

18. Diane Standish commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 9:43pm

My mother had a ton of quotes- “Life isn’t fair” was one of her favorites for everytime we whined “but that’s not fair!!” Another one used a lot was”go to sleep, it will be better in the morning” and”if you don’t have something nice to say, don’t say anything”

19. Guisela commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 9:43pm

Love Love that quote “Happy Girls are the prettiest” xo
    Guisela´s last blog post ..D O T com knot Leather Earrings – Recycled Leather- Vintage Cooper Chain- Chinese Button Knot

20. Emily commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 9:44pm

“Wherever you go, there you are” – so simple and obvious, but if life gets hectic, it’s a reminder that you are the constant.

21. Jessie commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 9:48pm

Love these! My mom used to sing to us, “Whatsa matta you? It’sa not so bad, it’sa nice-a place…get outta my face.” I should make a print of that!

22. Amy commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 10:02pm

I love pinterest too, but I can sort of see why it’s becoming controversial. It seems like the Napster of images and boy did I love Napster. I used to link my pinterest site to my website and now I’m just using it as image bookmarking, just for me to remember things, not to “share”.

23. Marie @ Sally Lee by the Sea commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 10:22pm

I’m so sad to see this new weekly column go – I can’t understand people who don’t enjoy their photos being shared around the blogosphere…it creates more traffic for them! I’m totally in love with Pinterest and use photos from their often.

Any ways, my mother was a great one for quotes too and always reminded me, “To thine own self be true”

Happy Memorial Day weekend & keep up the great work!
    Marie @ Sally Lee by the Sea´s last blog post ..White Magnolias at the Beach Cottage

24. meenal @ maison marigold commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 10:31pm

love them all..and happy girls are indeed the prettiest! have a lovely day, holly..would love you to visit my blog..xx meenal
    meenal @ maison marigold´s last blog post ..Meet the dining table

25. Alyssa commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 10:51pm

I absolutly adore the “happy girls are the prettiest” quote. Always important to remember!

26. Jill Browning commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 10:59pm

I am pro-Pinterest!! Sorry to hear you’re catching heck from those that aren’t. I’d be honored if my work ever got pinned!!!

27. katie commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 11:02pm

I’m addicted to Pinterest…I can’t get enough of that site. I have a board for quotes, and it’s loaded with awesomeness…like your post!

“It takes courage to grow up and become who you really are.” E.E. Cummings

28. ubercrafty commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 11:13pm

i don’t understand why people have a problem. regardless of what comment you put under your pin, it posts the original link, thus always crediting the originator. Seems to me people do way more stealing. This is a clever way to credit artists AND pass their work around.

29. Jaclyn commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 11:14pm

sorry for the slack you’ve gotten Holly, just know that most of us love your pinterest posts and as for quotes – they are fantasttic, always inspired and motivated by reading them!
    Jaclyn´s last blog post ..week at a glance

30. Dyanna Littke commented
    May 26th, 2011 at 11:23pm

I’ve enjoyed pinterest for as long as possible and I don’t quite understand why others find it worth their time to negatively affect something that really isn’t harmful in any way- and can actually bring happiness- no matter how small. Keep up the good work.
    Dyanna Littke´s last blog post ..Nothing More than Feelings

31. Becky D@KingsDownRoad commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 12:14am

Sad there won’t be any more Pinterest posts. I’m personally a little behind, and just tried signing up today.

Love the Plato quote. Tis true.
    Becky D@KingsDownRoad´s last blog post ..Lets Take This Outside

32. Heather @ It's So Suburban commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 12:33am

I will miss your Pinterest features. I can somewhat understand the controversy of Pinterest, but you are properly crediting the original artists/sites, so I don’t see what the issue is, frankly. And to those who say permission is needed to post their images on Pinterest – sorry, but if you don’t want something on Pinterest, it shouldn’t be online in the first place.
    Heather @ It’s So Suburban´s last blog post ..Update

33. chantel commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 1:16am

When I read your post I was quite confused as to why anyone wouldn’t want their work featured on such a lovely blog as yours! As long as the work is credited, where’s the problem?

34. Sharyn commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 1:20am

I’ve really enjoyed these pinterest posts Holly. It’s a real shame to see an end to them. I didn’t know about it until I saw your blog and it has opened a whole new world. I can think of no greater compliment for a creative person than for someone to choose their stuff to be on a blog and viewed by thousands! Seems a weird thing to complain about when recognition is key in most undertakings and getting noticed as an artist is hard work!

35. Janette commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 1:51am

I love quotes and have a quote board on my pinterest too.
    I can’t believe people wouldn’t want you featuring their work on your awesome blog… weird, I sure wouldn’t be complaining ;)
    Jxx

36. Renae commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 2:29am

What a shame people have made you feel that your column isn’t worth it. I love pinterest. I think the only real problem with it is that some people don’t find the original source and just link to google images or Tumblrs (which I no doubt have been guilty of here and there!). It’s hard for the person who owns/created the picture to get credit when that happens.
    Renae´s last blog post ..eek!

37. lisa @thebeadgirl commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 3:43am

i’m just amazed that anyone could not be in love with Pinterest. I lurve it. A lot. Great finds. Great quotes.

I love this one:
    lisa @thebeadgirl´s last blog post ..Helping Those Affected by the Tornadoes in Joplin

38. fenny setiawan commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 3:47am

I am kinda sad that you wont continue your column about Pinterest. I love Pinterest and sometime I found inspiration there to blog at my blog (with providing the source link of course) but I am bit surprise some people think otherwise.
    All the quote are nice. I love “be awesome today” :).
    My fave quote at all time is ” By the Grace of God, I am who I am” (from the bible) and another one is “the unexamined things not worth living” by Socrates :).
    fenny setiawan´s last blog post ..Decoration hoops and accesories by Yali Paz

39. Michele commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 4:08am

I have to confess that I don’t really know how to use Pinterest. I’m still trying to figure out blogger ;)

I love inspirational quotes. Here are few of my favorites.

Most people are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. Abraham Lincoln

If you judge people, you have no time to love them. Mother Teresa

Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart. Anne Frank

Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world. Nelson Mandela

40. Julie commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 4:44am

Hmm Pinterest is quite amusing, I might sign up myself! I love that Oscar Wilde quote by the way. :)
    Julie´s last blog post ..12 Rigtige Råd til dig der vil søge et Vikarjob

41. Jayca commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 4:46am

I’m such a fan of Pinterest, but only just figuring out how best to incorporate it – I can’t even turn a board into a collage yet. Still I’m afraid that, even as a wee bitty bitty blogger, I’ll offend someone.

My mother, however, has a quote for my frustrations big and small – “We seek progress, not perfection.”

Here’s hoping, Mere!

42. Kerry {Super Swoon} commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 4:57am

Well, I, for one, want to THANK YOU for pinning my “Be Awesome” print and posting it here! This has seriously made my week!! I can’t understand how someone wouldn’t want to be on your amazing blog… lame! xoxo
    Kerry {Super Swoon}´s last blog post ..Logo Love- Patty Wagon Burgers

43. alex wijnen commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 6:57am

I LOVE quotes – and pinterest! My favorite quote right now is the one engraved on a sterling silver ring my hubby gave me for my 40th birthday: “Keep not standing, fixed and rooted. Briskly venture, briskly roam.” By Goethe. I’m not someone who likes change or risks so this is a nice reminder to go out and explore, to not get too settled :)

44. Ben commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 8:51am

Holly, thanks so much for this column. I thought it was great, and I really enjoy checking out your pins. Your blog (and your pinboards) are fantastic. I hope that no matter what you keep going! :)

45. anastasia commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 8:52am

what a shame but yes sometimes its hard to find the original source of an image!!
    Pinterest is SO much fun though…these are great quotes!!

46. Jane commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 10:50am

Oh, Holly! That’s such a shame that people got their knickers in a twist. Pinterest is a gold-plated legend. I find it intoxicating! Here are some of my favourite quotations I’ve pinned:

J x
    Jane´s last blog post ..The anatomy of a stressful day on Planet Baby

47. decor8 commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 11:37am

@Kerry – Thank you — It means a lot that you’ve thanked me, I’m beaming!

48. solene commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 11:56am

J’aime beaucoup ” les filles les plus heureuses sont les plus jolies ”
    ça veut dire que lorsqu’on est heureux, gai,et souriant , on est toujours joli … le bonheur se lit sur le visage …
    J’aime bien toutes ces citations …. Merci, merci de nous faire partager tout cela …
    Belle journée !
    Solène
    solene´s last blog post ..Style indus

49. decor8 commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 12:29pm

@Solene – Can you comment in English, I can’t understand and neither can’t most of my other readers. English or German comments are fine but my French is horrible!!!

50. Ali commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 2:10pm

Pinterest is so much better than Tumblr was for being able to trace the source of a picture. Not perfect, but better. I suppose I can understand that some people are upset by the lack of control they retain over their images, but for me,the benefit of exposure would surely outweigh that.
    Times are changing in the ownership or intellectual property spheres. I think people just need a little time to figure out what the new rules are.
    Though personally, I am slightly worried about the time I spend making lovely collections of other people’s work rather than doing my own.
    Ali´s last blog post ..Take time

51. Rosalind commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 2:32pm

I wondered when people were going to start complaining about Pinterest. There is pretty good tracking for image credit as far as I’ve seen – I see it as exposure you can’t pay for!

“Do to others as you would have them do to you” is the one I hear the loudest and am know spruking to my daughter

52. Rosalind commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 2:34pm

oops – now spruiking!

53. Nadine commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 3:25pm

One of my favourite quotes is:

“Be who you are and say what you feel
    because those who mind don’t matter
    and those who matter don’t mind.”

Not quite sure, who that is from. Sorry…

54. decor8 commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 4:01pm

@Ali – I agree, I don’t use Tumblr for that reason.

55. Hanna Tang commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 4:28pm

I love this blog post because it reminded me always to live life to the fullest. It also shows that quotes are art to a human’s soul. I would always connect random thoughts and form into quotes when I feel inspired or bored. Here it is: “Live and desire to inspire!” That is the motto that I live everyday in my life and it always makes me better person.

56. Drew Humphries commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 4:59pm

Loving these quotes!

Hope you have a great Memorial Day weekend! ;)
    Drew Humphries´s last blog post ..Fridayss Fancies

57. Nilufer commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 5:52pm

Come live in my heart and pay no rent.
    ~Samuel Lover

This one always make me smile.
    Have a lovely weekend Holly!

58. Anna @ D16 commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 6:24pm

I suggest that those who don’t understand why anyone would have a problem with Pinterest read their terms of service—in particular the “Member Content” section:

If Holly (or just about any blogger, for that matter) wanted to use one of my photos here on Decor8 with a credit and link, I’d more MORE than happy to say YES. But do I want my photos uploaded to Pinterest? No way.

I’m guessing the complaints were not from people who didn’t want their photos on Holly’s blog, but who have a problem with their images being subjected to terms of use on Pinterest that they do not agree with.

59. Erin commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 6:55pm

bummer people are so picky because this is a great round up! Really hope you come to Seattle on your book tour. Just saw copies are being sold at Nordstrom. So fun to see after all these years! Still appreciate you featuring my apartmetn way back in the day!

60. Jo Green commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 7:08pm

My Mom always says “Everything happens for a reason”, and even though you may not be able to figure it out at the time, eventually you will see it’s true.

61. Lauren commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 7:39pm

I absolutely adore Pinterest and I happen to love these quotes, so thank you so much for sharing them!
    Lauren´s last blog post ..My humble little garden

62. Madeline Tompkins commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 8:07pm

As both a creator of artwork featuring lovely and interesting quotes AND an avid pinner, I can see both sides of the fence. I understand that artists are sad that people express such love for their work, but seem indifferent about putting their money where their pin boards are. But I absolutely love the tool that Pinterest has become in keeping up with what in current and popular in our visual world. Thank you for your lovely post (some of my good friends have made a few of your visuals and I’ll be putting words in their mouth by saying that they’re honored to be included.)
    Madeline Tompkins´s last blog post ..LETTERPRESS ART PRINT- I&39m not afraid of storms for I&39m learning to sail my ship Louisa May Alcott

63. Elissa commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 8:09pm

Hi! The ‘I Believe in Pink’ is my artwork. Please credit me instead of Isle of View. :) Thank you.
    Elissa

64. Elissa commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 8:25pm

Here is the link to the I Believe in Pink Print :) http://www.etsy.com/listing/58518743/i-believe-in-pink-print
    Elissa´s last blog post ..You Are My Sunshine Wall Art Print

65. mosey commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 9:08pm

I like the quote ‘be kind for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle’.
    My mum was not a quoter. My dad however, would recite entire outrageous poems at the dinner table… but I can’t recall any lines from them now :/
    You’ve inspired me to give him a call :)
    mosey´s last blog post ..windows to the sky

66. Malinda Lloyd commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 9:28pm

I love pintrest however, from an artist’s point of view, I can see why someone would be unhappy with having their work on the site. A piece is taken out of context for a use not approved or specified by the artist and sometimes the attribution is not properly displayed. Pintrest is better than tumblr – which I REFUSE to use because there is almost no way to find the originator of the work.

67. holly commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 10:33pm

My Mom always said “everything happens for a reason”.
    And twenty years later, my roommates still say, “what would your Mom say?” and as old as it got, she was always right! {and still is}

I love that she also always said “If you can’t say anything nice, don’t say it at all”…..We all need to be reminded of some of the simplest things, don’t we? Have a great weekend and thanks for sharing your faves!

68. {americangypsyliving} commented
    May 28th, 2011 at 10:36pm

those are all so beautiful + so appropriate for travel inspiration!
    xoxojess
    {americangypsyliving}´s last blog post ..Inspiration Maybe You Can Tell Me Why Im Prone To Wander

69. Alexandra commented
    May 29th, 2011 at 1:44am

Hi Holly!

What a wonderful opportunity to talk about my beloved mom who passed away about 15 years ago when I was 24. I find myself sounding just like her at times (which is fine by me)! She would say things like “home is where you hang your hat,” “wherever you go, there you are,” “if you love someone, set them free, if they are meant for you, they will come back to you,” “I’m off like a dirty shirt” (I love this one), “live and let live” and so many more that I’m not remembering right now.

Congrats on your beautiful book and your continued success. Your creative talent and spirit-filled writing are inspiring!

70. Neeti commented
    May 29th, 2011 at 6:34am

Love this one “She believed she could…so she did”

Thanks for sharing!

71. whorange commented
    May 29th, 2011 at 7:22am

this is exactly what i needed to see today. thank you, holly! xo

72. Julie commented
    May 29th, 2011 at 1:24pm

My most favorite quote right now is borrowed from Bryan Kest: “be where you’re at, ’cause you’re already there”…

Enjoying the quotes the everyone left. Great post!

73. Pia commented
    May 29th, 2011 at 6:52pm

What a shame – I thought it was a good idea – and pinterest is for sharing… and as long as you credit the artist then ?

No favorite quote but they always get to me when I see a beautiful graphic
    Pia´s last blog post ..Twinkle twinkle little star

74. stephanita commented
    May 31st, 2011 at 4:55am

My mom reminded me recently that “You Make Your Own Luck.” Got me through my job search and picked me up when I was feeling mopey. Reminded me that I have power over my circumstances…

75. Paula Dietz Rauber commented
    May 31st, 2011 at 6:49pm

I am a photographer and at the moment I am in love with Pinterest. I’ve found so much inspiration there. What is actually the problem of it? Am I beeing too innocent in seeing no danger in this trend? I would love to read other opinions.

76. JEN RAMOS commented
    May 31st, 2011 at 9:47pm

I think some bloggers tend to just link back to pintrest and not the the original artist of the work…well, at least that’s what i’ve seen happen on some blogs. If my product were featured on pintrest (which it has been)- i’d like to get the credit directly to my site….not have it go back to pintrest. I think more artist feel this way….

However, if a blogger gives me credit, then we do not have a problem. :)
    JEN RAMOS´s last blog post ..Gens ClosetVia Made By Girl

77. hena tayeb commented
    May 31st, 2011 at 11:41pm

Great prints and lovely words.
    hena tayeb´s last blog post ..Two Year Etsyversary

78. hoganfe handmade originals commented
    June 25th, 2011 at 8:40pm

Delightful Pinterest Picks Holly! Sorry to hear this will be the last Pinterest Post.