Color Me Pretty: Summer Dreams

Hello Friends, it is Leslie here with Color Me Pretty for May. With summer just around the corner I cannot help but think about flowers in my garden, fun drinks with friends and family birthdays. All in a palette of white, peach, mint green, washed grey and a little raspberry.  Of course time for a few crafty projects in this summer palette would be great to. A girl can dream.

Color Me Pretty

Color Me Pretty

One quick project for entertaining is dressing up those white spray painted glass bottles with a little washi tape and a couple paper doilies. Nothing fancy, just apply the tape and doily pieces here and there. I cut a few flowers and sprigs from my garden and instantly a windowsill or a table is prettied up for a get together.

Summery garnishes can make a plain old lemon soda look rather elegant. I like serving something fun and nothing gets a little house party going like a feature cocktail. Fresh mint, a little lime or a couple raspberries can make any drink feel like a special occasion. It can also be interesting to use all different glasses even for the same drink. This way everyone can hopefully remember his or her glass!

Color Me Pretty

Here is a little folding book I made from a couple pieces of scrap paper and some fuji instax mini photographs I took while putting this series together for you. I want to make more of these this summer. One could be of the kids while we are at the beach or another possibly of my mother’s garden. They make a cute gift for the host after a weekend stay with friends or family.

I hope you enjoyed this series and that it sparked a couple ideas for you. Do you have any plans for the weekend? Whatever you do take good care and do something just for you.

Thank you for having me here, see you next month, – Leslie.

(images: leslie shewring)

Posted by decor8 in Color Inspiration, Color Me Pretty on May 27, 2011

1. winter commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 9:47pm

I am now FRIDAY thirsty! Pass me a cupcake and let’s call it a day! Thank you leslie.

2. Lila commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 9:59pm

Oh So Girlie-pretty !
    Pictures are stunning ! The last one is my favorite one !
    Love those “washi tapes”. Thank you for brightening our day !

Happy week end to you !

Lila,

3. Will commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 10:03pm

Without doubt these posts are my favourite in the whole of the World Wide Web. Leslie, your styling, editing and photography skills are spot on, and I find your work a great source of inspiration – thanks for sharing it with us on Holly’s lovely blog!
    Will´s last blog post ..Home Tour- Colourful &amp Simple Tribeca Loft

4. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 10:06pm

Oh wow….if this doesn’t make me wanna have a party, I don’t what does! It is absolutely gorgeous Leslie! I adore all of these colors together and the tiny pops of neon…or at least they seem a little neon to me. :) So fresh, SO pretty and I would LOVE to come to this party! Thank you for the beautiful inspiration hun, as always! I hope you have a beautiful long weekend!
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Closer to home

5. holly commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 10:14pm

Color me pretty – you make everything LOVELIER!
    xOxO

6. Julie khuu commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 10:25pm

What a beautiful color story Leslie!! Loving all the muted pastels punched up with some bold rich color…currently rotating in my closet as well :)

Those cocktails look Delish!! The perfect way to start a long weekend!!

Happy Holiday weekend to you!!

xo-Julie
    Peace. Love. LOL!

7. nilufer commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 10:26pm

Dear Leslie,

These are all great ideas for summer… I feel so inspired! Thank you Thank you! I’m off to create something!!!! :-)
    nilufer´s last blog post ..The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating

8. elisa commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 10:44pm

just the gorgeous palette i’ve been craving! my tall little girl loves to make us drinks using edible plants she finds in the garden (she’s very careful!). today it was lavender, lemon balm, lemon and stevia. she’s amazing! and when i show her how you’ve dressed these glasses she will be so inspired! and i shall sit down to rest in the sunshine and await my pretty drink. have a lovely weekend leslie! x

9. Traveling Mama commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 10:49pm

Leslie, these images are so beautiful! The vases are brilliant! What a great way to use otherwise tired bottles!! I hope you have a great weekend too! Hugs!
    Traveling Mama´s last blog post ..you don’t want to miss…

10. the olive tree commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 10:52pm

wow. Lovely photos and colors to brighten the day!
    the olive tree´s last blog post ..happy friday

11. Diane commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 11:01pm

Leslie this post is so fresh and beautiful! Totally brightened up my day! Thank you :)

12. Andreia commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 11:37pm

Thank you Leslie for these lovely colours!

We are planning to go out for a picnic tomorrow and to the beach on sunday morning! What a wonderful weekend it will be for sure! It’s always an adventure to make these programs with four little children (between 6 and 1 years old) you can imagine, but we really love being together!

I hope you have a wonderful weekend too!

I’m planning to have some time to seat on my sofa and enjoy Holly’s book which has just arrived this week!

13. tinajo commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 11:39pm

LOVE this colorful and lovely post – and I have to buy myself some pretty tape! :-)
    tinajo´s last blog post ..Happiness is

14. Maxi commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 11:39pm

lovely photography! and where did you by these colourful, pattern dishes? i’m looking for dishes like these forever!
    greetings from hamburg, germany! maxi

15. Monica commented
    May 27th, 2011 at 11:47pm

Love the grey with raspberry and mint color combination – perfect for summer.
    Monica´s last blog post ..Pink

16. Emelie - fiffiga systrar commented
    May 28th, 2011 at 12:03am

wow! great pictures! I love the coulors in these pictures! thank you for fabulous inpiration!
    Emelie – fiffiga systrar´s last blog post ..Omklädd ask

17. Bryn commented
    May 28th, 2011 at 12:22am

love the cupcake with berries next to it. Such a simple but lovely idea.

Bryn´s last blog post ..Since were on the subject

18. Jaclyn commented
    May 28th, 2011 at 12:42am

was just practicing your photo tips we learned in class – your light in the studio is stunning. it’s cold here in Sydney so these photos certainly reminded me of a beautiful sunny (warm!) day in California. x
    Jaclyn´s last blog post ..adventures in sewing

19. Concha commented
    May 28th, 2011 at 12:55am

Wow Leslie, this post is outstanding! I adore the choice of colours, the photos couldn´t look crisper, the fabrics… just amazing!

Have a great weekend, Leslie & Holly!
    Concha´s last blog post ..Creative Walls – Book Review

20. sécia commented
    May 28th, 2011 at 1:07am

Love those Anthropologie bowls.

-sécia
    sécia´s last blog post ..Wishful Thinking

21. Gosia Maj commented
    May 28th, 2011 at 3:07am

Absolutely invigorating! I’m having a hard time counting the inspirational ideas you invoke, Leslie. This must be my most favourite colour story… but then, don’t I say it every time you share a new one? Never stop, please!!!
    Gosia Maj´s last blog post ..Collections- Seashells

22. Meesh commented
    May 28th, 2011 at 4:25am

Scroll down, scroll up, scroll down, scroll up, scroll down, scroll up…I just can’t get enough! This is so lovely!
    Meesh´s last blog post ..Destination- Washington

23. Fiona commented
    May 28th, 2011 at 8:52am

So pretty and inspirational too…thank you, together with the warm sunshine it feels that spring has arrived!

24. meenal @ maison marigold commented
    May 28th, 2011 at 9:16am

oh-so-pretty..so many lovely and simple ideas to add a touch of prettiess..love the dressed up spray pianted bottles the most..thankyou leslie for sharing the goodness..have a lovely weekend..xx meenal
    meenal @ maison marigold´s last blog post ..iPhone image of the week

25. chris commented
    May 28th, 2011 at 10:13am

Beautiful inspiration!

Can you please give a link to those beautiful patterned bowls???? I would love some just like them!!!

26. raspberry essence commented
    May 28th, 2011 at 10:52am

amazing colors! love all pictures :)
    raspberry essence´s last blog post ..strawberry editon

27. Inês (perfect-home.blogspot.com) commented
    May 28th, 2011 at 11:37am

I have just found your blog and I have found the ideas lovely.
    I must use them in my decor projects.
    Thank you. :)

28. European Chic commented
    May 28th, 2011 at 11:55am

Beautiful colour inspirations – as usual! I especially love the bowls in happy colours.
    European Chic´s last blog post ..An inspired interior

29. Kelly Rachel commented
    May 28th, 2011 at 12:19pm

How do you make my heart skip a beat with every. single. post.????
    Kelly Rachel´s last blog post ..Crocheting In Chilly Weather Is The Awesomest

30. Ana commented
    May 28th, 2011 at 1:58pm

What a collection! Just looking at it makes me happy! xx
    Ana´s last blog post ..IN- An Van Daeles Home

31. Carol Spinski commented
    May 28th, 2011 at 3:48pm

Oh my Leslie, what a beautiful color story! I agree with Holly, my favorite of yours so far.

Many Blessings and Keep Shinning:)
    Carol
    Carol Spinski´s last blog post ..Bridal Luncheon Favors

32. Iris commented
    May 28th, 2011 at 4:14pm

I am calling the weather man right now to ask him to raise the temperature a bit this weekend. I need to have these drinks while lounging in the shadow of a big tree!
    x Iris

33. JT commented
    May 29th, 2011 at 1:38am

Leslie, as usual your work is inspiring. My favorite picture is the little folding book. I think I’ll pick up the Fuji instax for my daughter’s wedding next weekend, it would be perfect. Thanks for the great idea!
    JT´s last blog post ..Howards End is on the Landing by Susan Hill

34. Kathi commented
    May 29th, 2011 at 6:02am

I absolutely love this post! Especially the spray painted bottle-vases and the drinks! Great inspiration!

35. Kim B. commented
    May 29th, 2011 at 9:50am

This post just had that extra something — love love love!!!

36. Fenny setiawan commented
    May 29th, 2011 at 1:35pm

Love love this collages n all picture at this episode of color me pretty. I always admire Leslie work, never stop to amaze me :). Happy weekend for Leslie n Holly.xo.

37. dasmaedchenmitdenlocken commented
    May 29th, 2011 at 4:59pm

wow. everything looks so great.
    dasmaedchenmitdenlocken´s last blog post ..der kreis ist das neue dreieck

38. Marie Nichols commented
    May 29th, 2011 at 5:30pm

Love this colour combo, so beautiful and perfect for spring!
    Marie Nichols´s last blog post ..Nice Day for a Colourful Wedding

39. Sue commented
    May 29th, 2011 at 6:09pm

What a gorgeous colour palette. Love the photos you’ve chosen – so fresh!
    Sue´s last blog post ..Ombre Wedding Inspiration Part II

40. joanna commented
    May 29th, 2011 at 7:11pm

so pretty

41. Laura Gaskill commented
    May 29th, 2011 at 9:44pm

Leslie, I am definitely using your drinks ideas for an upcoming party! The fresh mint, berries, and limes look so festive :) And I have had a fuji instax camera on my wishlist for a while now…summer seems the perfect time to indulge, and I am completely smitten with your brag book. It’s just perfect, and I want to make one of my own right away!

As always, you’ve inspired me and made my day a little brighter. Enjoy your weekend Leslie and Holly dears! xo Laura
    Laura Gaskill´s last blog post ..this moment

42. Lidyll commented
    May 29th, 2011 at 11:00pm

Such beautiful pictures!*smile*
    Lidyll´s last blog post ..Bilder fra header-shoot Sommer-Lidyll!

43. Julie the Alkaline Sister commented
    May 30th, 2011 at 6:03am

Makes me want summer yesterday! Maybe we can enjoy one of these at my house this summer! Awesome shots and LOVE the white bottles!
    Julie the Alkaline Sister´s last blog post ..Banana- Date &amp Coconut Raw Icecream &amp Spring Flowers!

44. Fiffiga Systrar commented
    May 30th, 2011 at 12:17pm

Absolutely gorgeous!!! Great ideas as usual! You’ve got our favourite blog! We love your ideas!

Love!

Elin & Emelie
    Fiffiga Systrar´s last blog post ..Veckans Goding – Supersmarriga kladdkakan

45. Jane commented
    May 30th, 2011 at 2:09pm

Oh, Leslie! If only we weren’t heading into winter. Your inspired use of washi tape knows no bounds. I can’t get enough of the stuff! J x
    Jane´s last blog post ..Sunday splendour- 29 May 2011

46. Helene commented
    May 30th, 2011 at 5:32pm

Completely in love with this post and these colors!

47. christelle is flabbergasting commented
    May 30th, 2011 at 5:46pm

Such a great post full of colors! Summer is definitely here!! Love the painted bottles with masking tape and doilies!
    christelle is flabbergasting´s last blog post ..Des nouvelles

48. b. commented
    May 30th, 2011 at 9:19pm

Your posts remind me of why I love design! As a stay at home mom and former (and future) designer, your colour stories are the refreshment I need.

49. christine e-e commented
    May 31st, 2011 at 2:15am

leslie… i have to laugh at all the fabulous comments… well deserved, as always!!! i spent more than 3+ hours editing photos today… have you ever thought about posting your “photo out-takes” kind of like movie out-takes?? it would be fun to see your process for editing photos before posting all the gloriously delightful pics on your Color Me Pretty series…
    christine e-e´s last blog post ..MIC-KEY- MOU-SE

50. ArticulateArt commented
    May 31st, 2011 at 5:24am

OMG! Everything looks so CUTE and PRETTY!!!!!!! I want them all!! The colours are just perfect!!!
    ArticulateArt´s last blog post ..H&M Kids Summer 2011

51. Zsa Zsa commented
    May 31st, 2011 at 7:15am

Stunning photos! Love everything sweet n’ pretty…those dressed up glass bottles are totally eye-candy! The little folding book is genius too! :)

52. hoganfe handmade originals commented
    May 31st, 2011 at 8:06am

53. Verena commented
    May 31st, 2011 at 9:40am

Leslie, I love this post!!! It´s so colorfull. You can feel the summer just by looking at your beautiful pictures! I love the bottles! And I think, I´m going to spray paint some, too! Thanks for these great ideas!
    Hope your weekend will be great and sunny!

Hug´s,
    Verena
    Verena´s last blog post ..Wer liebt Eiscreme – Who loves Ice cream

54. Samantha Hahn commented
    May 31st, 2011 at 1:17pm

stunning post!

55. Shari commented
    May 31st, 2011 at 4:36pm

{sigh, sigh, sigh…} so lovely, again, Leslie! I feel suddenly refreshed and inspired! I still don’t seem to be able to pull off the lovely feel of your photos, but I AM working on it. :-) I’m even doing a photography challenge this month, and will try so hard to make them interesting, in my own way, but also, inspired by you. Wish me luck!!

xoxo
    Shari´s last blog post ..Happy Memorial Day!

56. Monica Lee commented
    May 31st, 2011 at 5:15pm

Look how yummy! Wonderful and fresh. I must have that cupcake and I love the petite bowls, terrific job!
    Monica Lee´s last blog post ..retro Summer style

57. Xio@ Mint Daisy Design Studio commented
    May 31st, 2011 at 6:13pm

I absolutely love this color combination! Very refreshing and sophisticated!
    Xio@ Mint Daisy Design Studio´s last blog post ..Fabulous Fete Scrumptious Milk and Cookies Party

58. karen commented
    May 31st, 2011 at 6:19pm

The bowls are to die for. Thanks for pointing them out.

59. Michelle @ My Personal Artist commented
    May 31st, 2011 at 7:52pm

Leslie, a PERFECT splash of summer inspiration. I’m in love with the pops of bright color and raspberries. Yum! xo

60. A Casa da Vá commented
    May 31st, 2011 at 10:32pm

Love the summer inspiration! The spray painted glass bottles? So adorable… will try that one!

Hugs & kisses from Rio!

A Casa da Vá´s last blog post ..The ultimate bachelorete pad

61. hena tayeb commented
    May 31st, 2011 at 11:16pm

Lovely images. The flower vases look great.
    hena tayeb´s last blog post ..Two Year Etsyversary

62. Mel @ Georgica Pond commented
    June 1st, 2011 at 2:06am

Your photography is so beautiful – what kind of digital camera do you use?

63. Kate Coveny Hood commented
    June 1st, 2011 at 4:46am

Summer is officially here in DC! It’s hot – but also very green and full of colorful flowers. This was a lovely take on the season.

64. Caitlin commented
    June 1st, 2011 at 5:05am

Absolutely gorgeous! The colours are so fresh, and it’s all just brilliant :)
    Caitlin´s last blog post ..The First Weekend of Summer

65. AJ commented
    June 1st, 2011 at 6:38am

Wow.. Leslie your summer palette is absolutely beautiful. Those jars are just the perfect touch and the bowl are to die for!! (Where can we find them – looks like Anthro but not sure??) Thanks for sharing with us today. AJ – queenofmynest(at)gmail(dot)com

66. Lisa commented
    June 1st, 2011 at 8:22am

Can you tell me where you got those beautiful stacked bowls? Thank you!
    Lisa´s last blog post ..DIY Home Baked Twinkies today on CATCH MY PARTY website!

67. Lace and Tulle commented
    June 1st, 2011 at 2:53pm

I love these pics!! Great idea with the glass bottles!!!

68. leslie commented
    June 1st, 2011 at 4:38pm

Thank you all for your support!!!
    The bowls are from Anthropologie, Inside Out Bowls
    See you next month!
    leslie´s last blog post ..Color Me Pretty Time

69. Lauren commented
    June 1st, 2011 at 5:12pm

Soooo pretty and inspirational!

I love it all! Thanks! :)
    Lauren´s last blog post ..Sprinkling in Some Glam- How Does Your Garden Grow Part II

70. Chisa commented
    June 4th, 2011 at 12:50am

Leslie, I really need to thank you! Your “Color me pretty” column is one of the most inspirational columns on the Internet! I totally love your pictures and your sense for colors. Please keep up your great work!

Greetings!

Chisa´s last blog post ..Instagram Magic!

71. BohèmeCircus commented
    June 6th, 2011 at 7:33pm

I like very much the small bowls, the combination of colors is so cheerful. The set is so fresh, it is a pleasure of eyes!

72. Madelief commented
    June 7th, 2011 at 3:56pm

Stunning photographs! They look so cheerful!
    Madelief´s last blog post ..Great Dixter

73. Sandy commented
    June 12th, 2011 at 8:05pm

I am so happy i found your blog. So beautiful!
    thank you for the inspiration.
    ;)
    sandy

74. annie commented
    September 24th, 2011 at 7:03pm

these images are gorgeous…found you through pinterest!

75. sarah commented
    October 2nd, 2011 at 1:40am

holy crap these are absolutely adorable!!!! I found washi tape at http://www.wishywashi.com/ and am definitely going to clean them out!

76. Kathi Townzen commented
    January 29th, 2013 at 2:57am

This is a BEAUTIFUL site! I’m only sad that I just discovered it!!! Oh, and I was wondering about the different washi tapes you used and see it in the comment above. You have indeed colored these things beautiful!!!
    THANK YOU!