Color Inspiration

Summer Dreams

May 27, 2011

Hello Friends, it is Leslie here with Color Me Pretty for May. With summer just around the corner I cannot help but think about flowers in my garden, fun drinks with friends and family birthdays. All in a palette of white, peach, mint green, washed grey and a little raspberry.  Of course time for a few crafty projects in this summer palette would be great to. A girl can dream.

Summer Dreams

Summer Dreams

One quick project for entertaining is dressing up those white spray painted glass bottles with a little washi tape and a couple paper doilies. Nothing fancy, just apply the tape and doily pieces here and there. I cut a few flowers and sprigs from my garden and instantly a windowsill or a table is prettied up for a get together.

Summer Dreams

Summery garnishes can make a plain old lemon soda look rather elegant. I like serving something fun and nothing gets a little house party going like a feature cocktail. Fresh mint, a little lime or a couple raspberries can make any drink feel like a special occasion. It can also be interesting to use all different glasses even for the same drink. This way everyone can hopefully remember his or her glass!

Summer Dreams

Here is a little folding book I made from a couple pieces of scrap paper and some fuji instax mini photographs I took while putting this series together for you. I want to make more of these this summer. One could be of the kids while we are at the beach or another possibly of my mother’s garden. They make a cute gift for the host after a weekend stay with friends or family.

Summer Dreams

Summer Dreams

Summer Dreams

Summer Dreams

Summer Dreams

I hope you enjoyed this series and that it sparked a couple ideas for you. Do you have any plans for the weekend? Whatever you do take good care and do something just for you.

Thank you for having me here, see you next month, – Leslie.

(images: leslie shewring)

You Might Also Like

78 Comments

• Reply winter May 27, 2011 at 9:47 pm

I am now FRIDAY thirsty! Pass me a cupcake and let’s call it a day! Thank you leslie.

• Reply Lila May 27, 2011 at 9:59 pm

Oh So Girlie-pretty !
    Pictures are stunning ! The last one is my favorite one !
    Love those “washi tapes”. Thank you for brightening our day !

Happy week end to you !

Lila,

• Reply Will May 27, 2011 at 10:03 pm

Without doubt these posts are my favourite in the whole of the World Wide Web. Leslie, your styling, editing and photography skills are spot on, and I find your work a great source of inspiration – thanks for sharing it with us on Holly’s lovely blog!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente May 27, 2011 at 10:06 pm

Oh wow….if this doesn’t make me wanna have a party, I don’t what does! It is absolutely gorgeous Leslie! I adore all of these colors together and the tiny pops of neon…or at least they seem a little neon to me. :) So fresh, SO pretty and I would LOVE to come to this party! Thank you for the beautiful inspiration hun, as always! I hope you have a beautiful long weekend!
    xo
    Melis

• Reply holly May 27, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Color me pretty – you make everything LOVELIER!
    xOxO

• Reply Julie khuu May 27, 2011 at 10:25 pm

What a beautiful color story Leslie!! Loving all the muted pastels punched up with some bold rich color…currently rotating in my closet as well :)

Those cocktails look Delish!! The perfect way to start a long weekend!!

Happy Holiday weekend to you!!

xo-Julie
    Peace. Love. LOL!

• Reply nilufer May 27, 2011 at 10:26 pm

Dear Leslie,

These are all great ideas for summer… I feel so inspired! Thank you Thank you! I’m off to create something!!!! :-)

• Reply elisa May 27, 2011 at 10:44 pm

just the gorgeous palette i’ve been craving! my tall little girl loves to make us drinks using edible plants she finds in the garden (she’s very careful!). today it was lavender, lemon balm, lemon and stevia. she’s amazing! and when i show her how you’ve dressed these glasses she will be so inspired! and i shall sit down to rest in the sunshine and await my pretty drink. have a lovely weekend leslie! x

• Reply Traveling Mama May 27, 2011 at 10:49 pm

Leslie, these images are so beautiful! The vases are brilliant! What a great way to use otherwise tired bottles!! I hope you have a great weekend too! Hugs!

• Reply the olive tree May 27, 2011 at 10:52 pm

wow. Lovely photos and colors to brighten the day!

• Reply Diane May 27, 2011 at 11:01 pm

Leslie this post is so fresh and beautiful! Totally brightened up my day! Thank you :)

• Reply Andreia May 27, 2011 at 11:37 pm

Thank you Leslie for these lovely colours!

We are planning to go out for a picnic tomorrow and to the beach on sunday morning! What a wonderful weekend it will be for sure! It’s always an adventure to make these programs with four little children (between 6 and 1 years old) you can imagine, but we really love being together!

I hope you have a wonderful weekend too!

I’m planning to have some time to seat on my sofa and enjoy Holly’s book which has just arrived this week!

• Reply tinajo May 27, 2011 at 11:39 pm

LOVE this colorful and lovely post – and I have to buy myself some pretty tape! :-)

• Reply Maxi May 27, 2011 at 11:39 pm

lovely photography! and where did you by these colourful, pattern dishes? i’m looking for dishes like these forever!
    greetings from hamburg, germany! maxi

• Reply Monica May 27, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Love the grey with raspberry and mint color combination – perfect for summer.

• Reply Emelie - fiffiga systrar May 28, 2011 at 12:03 am

wow! great pictures! I love the coulors in these pictures! thank you for fabulous inpiration!

• Reply Bryn May 28, 2011 at 12:22 am

love the cupcake with berries next to it. Such a simple but lovely idea.

• Reply Jaclyn May 28, 2011 at 12:42 am

was just practicing your photo tips we learned in class – your light in the studio is stunning. it’s cold here in Sydney so these photos certainly reminded me of a beautiful sunny (warm!) day in California. x

• Reply Concha May 28, 2011 at 12:55 am

Wow Leslie, this post is outstanding! I adore the choice of colours, the photos couldn´t look crisper, the fabrics… just amazing!

Have a great weekend, Leslie & Holly!

• Reply sécia May 28, 2011 at 1:07 am

Love those Anthropologie bowls.

-sécia

• Reply Gosia Maj May 28, 2011 at 3:07 am

Absolutely invigorating! I’m having a hard time counting the inspirational ideas you invoke, Leslie. This must be my most favourite colour story… but then, don’t I say it every time you share a new one? Never stop, please!!!

• Reply Meesh May 28, 2011 at 4:25 am

Scroll down, scroll up, scroll down, scroll up, scroll down, scroll up…I just can’t get enough! This is so lovely!

• Reply Fiona May 28, 2011 at 8:52 am

So pretty and inspirational too…thank you, together with the warm sunshine it feels that spring has arrived!

• Reply meenal @ maison marigold May 28, 2011 at 9:16 am

oh-so-pretty..so many lovely and simple ideas to add a touch of prettiess..love the dressed up spray pianted bottles the most..thankyou leslie for sharing the goodness..have a lovely weekend..xx meenal

• Reply chris May 28, 2011 at 10:13 am

Beautiful inspiration!

Can you please give a link to those beautiful patterned bowls???? I would love some just like them!!!

• Reply raspberry essence May 28, 2011 at 10:52 am

amazing colors! love all pictures :)

• Reply Inês (perfect-home.blogspot.com) May 28, 2011 at 11:37 am

I have just found your blog and I have found the ideas lovely.
    I must use them in my decor projects.
    Thank you. :)

• Reply European Chic May 28, 2011 at 11:55 am

Beautiful colour inspirations – as usual! I especially love the bowls in happy colours.

• Reply Kelly Rachel May 28, 2011 at 12:19 pm

How do you make my heart skip a beat with every. single. post.????

• Reply Ana May 28, 2011 at 1:58 pm

What a collection! Just looking at it makes me happy! xx

• Reply Carol Spinski May 28, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Oh my Leslie, what a beautiful color story! I agree with Holly, my favorite of yours so far.

Many Blessings and Keep Shinning:)
    Carol

• Reply Iris May 28, 2011 at 4:14 pm

I am calling the weather man right now to ask him to raise the temperature a bit this weekend. I need to have these drinks while lounging in the shadow of a big tree!
    x Iris

• Reply JT May 29, 2011 at 1:38 am

Leslie, as usual your work is inspiring. My favorite picture is the little folding book. I think I’ll pick up the Fuji instax for my daughter’s wedding next weekend, it would be perfect. Thanks for the great idea!

• Reply Kathi May 29, 2011 at 6:02 am

I absolutely love this post! Especially the spray painted bottle-vases and the drinks! Great inspiration!

• Reply Kim B. May 29, 2011 at 9:50 am

This post just had that extra something — love love love!!!

• Reply Fenny setiawan May 29, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Love love this collages n all picture at this episode of color me pretty. I always admire Leslie work, never stop to amaze me :). Happy weekend for Leslie n Holly.xo.

• Reply dasmaedchenmitdenlocken May 29, 2011 at 4:59 pm

wow. everything looks so great.

• Reply Marie Nichols May 29, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Love this colour combo, so beautiful and perfect for spring!

• Reply Sue May 29, 2011 at 6:09 pm

What a gorgeous colour palette. Love the photos you’ve chosen – so fresh!

• Reply joanna May 29, 2011 at 7:11 pm

so pretty

• Reply Laura Gaskill May 29, 2011 at 9:44 pm

Leslie, I am definitely using your drinks ideas for an upcoming party! The fresh mint, berries, and limes look so festive :) And I have had a fuji instax camera on my wishlist for a while now…summer seems the perfect time to indulge, and I am completely smitten with your brag book. It’s just perfect, and I want to make one of my own right away!

As always, you’ve inspired me and made my day a little brighter. Enjoy your weekend Leslie and Holly dears! xo Laura

• Reply Lidyll May 29, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Such beautiful pictures!*smile*

• Reply Julie the Alkaline Sister May 30, 2011 at 6:03 am

Makes me want summer yesterday! Maybe we can enjoy one of these at my house this summer! Awesome shots and LOVE the white bottles!

• Reply Fiffiga Systrar May 30, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Absolutely gorgeous!!! Great ideas as usual! You’ve got our favourite blog! We love your ideas!

Love!

Elin & Emelie

• Reply Jane May 30, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Oh, Leslie! If only we weren’t heading into winter. Your inspired use of washi tape knows no bounds. I can’t get enough of the stuff! J x

• Reply Helene May 30, 2011 at 5:32 pm

Completely in love with this post and these colors!

• Reply christelle is flabbergasting May 30, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Such a great post full of colors! Summer is definitely here!! Love the painted bottles with masking tape and doilies!

• Reply b. May 30, 2011 at 9:19 pm

Your posts remind me of why I love design! As a stay at home mom and former (and future) designer, your colour stories are the refreshment I need.

• Reply christine e-e May 31, 2011 at 2:15 am

leslie… i have to laugh at all the fabulous comments… well deserved, as always!!! i spent more than 3+ hours editing photos today… have you ever thought about posting your “photo out-takes” kind of like movie out-takes?? it would be fun to see your process for editing photos before posting all the gloriously delightful pics on your Color Me Pretty series…

• Reply ArticulateArt May 31, 2011 at 5:24 am

OMG! Everything looks so CUTE and PRETTY!!!!!!! I want them all!! The colours are just perfect!!!

• Reply Zsa Zsa May 31, 2011 at 7:15 am

Stunning photos! Love everything sweet n’ pretty…those dressed up glass bottles are totally eye-candy! The little folding book is genius too! :)

• Reply hoganfe handmade originals May 31, 2011 at 8:06 am

Gorgeous, fresh & easy!

• Reply Verena May 31, 2011 at 9:40 am

Leslie, I love this post!!! It´s so colorfull. You can feel the summer just by looking at your beautiful pictures! I love the bottles! And I think, I´m going to spray paint some, too! Thanks for these great ideas!
    Hope your weekend will be great and sunny!

Hug´s,
    Verena

• Reply Samantha Hahn May 31, 2011 at 1:17 pm

stunning post!

• Reply Shari May 31, 2011 at 4:36 pm

{sigh, sigh, sigh…} so lovely, again, Leslie! I feel suddenly refreshed and inspired! I still don’t seem to be able to pull off the lovely feel of your photos, but I AM working on it. :-) I’m even doing a photography challenge this month, and will try so hard to make them interesting, in my own way, but also, inspired by you. Wish me luck!!

xoxo

• Reply Monica Lee May 31, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Look how yummy! Wonderful and fresh. I must have that cupcake and I love the petite bowls, terrific job!

• Reply Xio@ Mint Daisy Design Studio May 31, 2011 at 6:13 pm

I absolutely love this color combination! Very refreshing and sophisticated!

• Reply karen May 31, 2011 at 6:19 pm

The bowls are to die for. Thanks for pointing them out.

• Reply Michelle @ My Personal Artist May 31, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Leslie, a PERFECT splash of summer inspiration. I’m in love with the pops of bright color and raspberries. Yum! xo

• Reply A Casa da Vá May 31, 2011 at 10:32 pm

Love the summer inspiration! The spray painted glass bottles? So adorable… will try that one!

Hugs & kisses from Rio!

• Reply hena tayeb May 31, 2011 at 11:16 pm

Lovely images. The flower vases look great.

• Reply Mel @ Georgica Pond June 1, 2011 at 2:06 am

Your photography is so beautiful – what kind of digital camera do you use?

• Reply Kate Coveny Hood June 1, 2011 at 4:46 am

Summer is officially here in DC! It’s hot – but also very green and full of colorful flowers. This was a lovely take on the season.

• Reply Caitlin June 1, 2011 at 5:05 am

Absolutely gorgeous! The colours are so fresh, and it’s all just brilliant :)

• Reply AJ June 1, 2011 at 6:38 am

Wow.. Leslie your summer palette is absolutely beautiful. Those jars are just the perfect touch and the bowl are to die for!! (Where can we find them – looks like Anthro but not sure??) Thanks for sharing with us today. AJ – queenofmynest(at)gmail(dot)com

• Reply Lisa June 1, 2011 at 8:22 am

Can you tell me where you got those beautiful stacked bowls? Thank you!

• Reply Lace and Tulle June 1, 2011 at 2:53 pm

I love these pics!! Great idea with the glass bottles!!!

• Reply leslie June 1, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Thank you all for your support!!!
    The bowls are from Anthropologie, Inside Out Bowls
    See you next month!

• Reply Lauren June 1, 2011 at 5:12 pm

Soooo pretty and inspirational!

I love it all! Thanks! :)

• Reply Chisa June 4, 2011 at 12:50 am

Leslie, I really need to thank you! Your “Color me pretty” column is one of the most inspirational columns on the Internet! I totally love your pictures and your sense for colors. Please keep up your great work!

Greetings!

• Reply BohèmeCircus June 6, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I like very much the small bowls, the combination of colors is so cheerful. The set is so fresh, it is a pleasure of eyes!

• Reply Madelief June 7, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Stunning photographs! They look so cheerful!

• Reply Sandy June 12, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I am so happy i found your blog. So beautiful!
    thank you for the inspiration.
    ;)
    sandy

• Reply annie September 24, 2011 at 7:03 pm

these images are gorgeous…found you through pinterest!

• Reply sarah October 2, 2011 at 1:40 am

holy crap these are absolutely adorable!!!! I found washi tape at http://www.wishywashi.com/ and am definitely going to clean them out!

• Reply Kathi Townzen January 29, 2013 at 2:57 am

This is a BEAUTIFUL site! I’m only sad that I just discovered it!!! Oh, and I was wondering about the different washi tapes you used and see it in the comment above. You have indeed colored these things beautiful!!!
    THANK YOU!
    Kathi Townzen

• Reply lynn January 1, 2015 at 5:22 pm

greetings from hamburg, germany! maxi

• Reply lynn January 1, 2015 at 5:22 pm

Where did you get those super cute dishes??