Meet Stylist Pippa Jameson

I had a nice email exchange today with lovely Pippa Jameson, who is a stylist living in England who works from her office in Shoreditch, London with whom I’ve known of for some time now. She so graciously allowed me to use some beautiful photographs from her portfolio so you could see some of her work today. Pippa (love her name!) has been an interior stylist for over 14 years with an impressive client list, she has worked in television, advertising, magazines, books and film. She was the Deputy Interiors Editor for BBC Good Homes Magazine but now she is a freelance stylist for magazines and advertising; including brochures, online and large campaigns as well as commercials and more recently some presenting. She also writes a fabulous blog which you can see here.

Meet Pippa Jameson

Ah. White wooden floors, that gorgeous mid century sofa, the sisal rug, those shutters… Very pretty.

Meet Pippa Jameson

More shutters, this time in white, pretty bottles, a tiny flower arrangement for color… Perfect bathroom accessories.

Meet Pippa Jameson

This bed is gorgeous, I imagine this would be a most perfect summer cottage hideaway. I can see myself vacationing here, it’s very summery. I love the blooms sprinkled around the room in random bottles, including an Arizona Ice Tea bottle – so simply yet so pretty.

Meet Pippa Jameson

This looks very soft and romantic. A nice touch for an outdoor picnic – a decorative tin with napkins and utensils inside along with a very sprigs of fresh flowers.

Meet Pippa Jameson

I adore this sofa, complete with the black legs and wheels and that darling ruffle. It reminds me of the sofa I once saw in Real Simple magazine years ago, and pinned, here. I wonder who makes it?

Okay so I asked Pippa few questions that I thought you may be interested in knowing about, especially for those out there who have an interest in styling.

What are some current interiors trends that you love?
I love the bright patterns that we are seeing at the moment. A good example of this is the Jonathan Saunders’ William Morris-inspired prints in turquoise, coral and leaf green that were seen at London Fashion Week. I also love the bohemian/tribal look.

Spot any trends on the horizon that we should look for?
Bold colours will continue to prevail right through into 2012, bright orange, red and cobalt blue – and don’t be afraid to mix them up! Nature will continue to translate into fashion and interiors, especially birds and butterflies. Texture and Eco will also be key.

What should every good stylist have?
You need to have a decent tool kit which includes all of the essentials, especially gaffa and double sided tape!

What is the key to breaking in to interior styling as a career?
Passion and perseverance. It’s really important to show initiative, I always advise people who contact me with no experience to start collating a folder of images that inspire them so that they can start to recognise and determine their own interior style. This folder will create a good foundation for possible assisting work.

Do you have favorite interior stylists, if so, who?
I think Atlanta Bartlett and Lucyina Moodie are both extremely talented.

What are some of your favorite London interiors shops?

I think Liberty has to be one of my all time favourites, not only for the fabrics but the building itself. I could spend all day there.

What do you love about styling?
I love the variety of work and the fact that I can earn a living doing something that makes me really happy. I feel very lucky to have a true passion in life that I can fulfill. The job can be such hard work, emotional and physically, but I wouldn’t change it for the world.

If you have any additional questions for Pippa, please ask her in the comments section below. :)

(images: with permission from pippa jameson)

Posted by decor8 in interviews on June 10, 2011

1. corinne commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 11:55am

superbe ! tres tres joli ! well in such a house, I would be awake 24hr/365days/year just for the great feeling of the decoration….. hummmm ! Honestly : I love it !!
    Holly, again and again : thank you for all these new ideas you are offering us :)

2. arianna commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 12:22pm

I love Pippa! We have met up on many occasions and may be working together soon which I am very excited about! Not only is she talented but such a lovely, genuine person who is extremely knowledgeable in her field. :)
    arianna´s last blog post ..Off To A Photoshoot!

3. Carolina Ellis commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 12:54pm

I have a daughter who would like to be a stylist, is there any kind of schooling that she should look into? How does she begin getting into that career? She is still in high school, but has been amassing a collection of images, as you suggested, for quite some time now. Great post. Carolina
    Carolina Ellis´s last blog post ..Mark Making and Mistakes

4. Sally @ ourdreamlives commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 1:13pm

Oooh I love the look of all of these rooms, that bed is so dreamy and snuggly! And I love both the sofas – the cushions are gorgeous!
    Sally @ ourdreamlives´s last blog post ..pinterest

5. Ana commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 1:31pm

Amazing interview! I love finding inspiration like this on blogs, simply stunning!

6. A Plum By Any Other Name commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 1:36pm

I would have never thought of using a plain ‘ole Arizona tea bottle. It does add a nice pop of color to the room …

7. brandeye commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 1:54pm

I LOVE all of the shutters. I think I need some in my living room.

8. Julia commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 2:08pm

Hi Pippa, hi Holly,

The pictures shared in this post really caught my eye, they’re wonderful.

I have a question to ask – well, it’s actually a conundrum of sorts I’m into and you might help me out (or might not). The thing is… my husband and I are decorating our first owned apartment (but have been living together for 9 years), which is roughly 3 times bigger than the previous home, and also have a 9mo baby. And while the apartment is really nice (windows everywhere, good bones) and we can afford some decorating indulgences, and in spite of having collected quite a few inspirational pictures, I can’t make the leap from the flat pictures to my actual home.

So, my question would be: how do you start when there’s everything to be done? We already have basic furniture and “stuff” we like enough, but I don’t seem to be able to decide what goes where, and how to, well, design the space. I simply cannot visualize how the main living area, which is connected to the eating area through a large arch, can be better designed and stop being just a deposit of furniture more or less accessible with the worst possible lighting. And in a constant state of mess.

Any suggestions? Maybe a tip to achieve the right mindset that may reduce my anxiety seeing that large and beautiful room so pathetically underused?

Thank you!

9. Karen commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 2:33pm

I am in love with the shutters and the leather ottoman. Gorgeous.
    Karen´s last blog post ..First Look at Weston’s Bedroom – In Progress

10. Lace and Tulle commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 2:34pm

what a lovely space and love the pops of colour!

11. EmmaMT commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 3:06pm

Pippa Jameson YOU ROCK!!!! How exciting to see you here on Decor8! This Friday just doesn’t get any better! What a great paring of interior talent. Holly and Pippa! Brill interview.
    EmmaMT´s last blog post ..The Stacey Solomon Cake

12. Karen commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 3:39pm

Gorgeous; I would also like to know who makes that sofa. Help!

13. Rona commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 4:37pm

Hi Holly & Pippa
    Lovely to see your work Pippa on Holly’s blog!
    What a lovely article and such beautiful images. Love the informal way that the flowers have been styled :-)
    Rona x
    Rona´s last blog post ..Flowerona’s new column in Wedding Flowers magazine!

14. Brenda commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 4:48pm

Those beautiful pictures are really inspiring.
    Brenda´s last blog post ..Design 1999

15. meenal @ maison marigold commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 5:09pm

love her clean uncluttered style..so refreshing..thanks for sharing, holly..have a lovely day..xx meenal
    meenal @ maison marigold´s last blog post ..Jaipur- that palace and those bangles

16. Nevena commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 5:18pm

Can you tell me where the pillows are from in the 1st pic??

Beautiful as always – Thank You!

17. amy commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 5:26pm

Truly, truly, one of the prettiest houses I have seen, without falling over into too-much and too-pretty. Everything is in such wonderful balance, clean and detailed at the same time. I’m enchanted. (and the bed, sigh swoon)
    amy´s last blog post ..Fortunate

18. Lauren commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 6:12pm

Gorgeous! I love her work!
    Lauren´s last blog post ..Neontastic

19. Pippa Jameson commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 6:41pm

Thanks for all of the kind comments!

Julia – my advice to you would be to choose one item as your starting point and go from there. You might have a beautiful cushion with some pretty colours on or a statement sofa that you love. Once you have that ‘key’ item, make sure everything else around it is complimentary. For instance, I have a vintage cushion in my bedroom that I adore and so I based the whole bedroom design around it. Maybe it would help to take a picture of that key item and either create a moodboard using the picture as a starting point or, take the image out with you when you are shopping so that you don’t make any mistakes when you are choosing your home furnishings. Above all, be confident and trust your instinct! Good luck x

Sally & Karen, you could try the following UK company called Wesley Barrell for the same classic sofa shape. You can then achieve the pleats by having it upholstered: http://www.wesley-barrell.co.uk/products/classic

Carolina, Textiles is always a good degree to opt for if she is thinking about Interior Styling. This is the path I took and it was a great foundation for me as you learn about texture, pattern and colour.

20. sécia commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 7:57pm

Those shutters… all of them… are amazing!

Sécia
    sécia´s last blog post ..List 9- Favorite websites and blogs

21. Jana @ the Summer House commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 8:43pm

I need those white floors…so lovely!
    xo jana
    Jana @ the Summer House´s last blog post ..Floral Lined Denim Tote

22. Julia commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 9:27pm

Thank you!
    Julia´s last blog post ..Just a little peace of mind

23. L'atelier Azimuté commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 9:53pm

I love it !! especially the first picture with those wooden shutters, the old scandinavian sofa, the bright cushions… thanks a lots for this discovery !

24. Lisa's Creative Home commented
    June 10th, 2011 at 10:08pm

What a lovely home! I love the POPs of color she uses against the neutral whites. Its very relaxing and vibrant at the same time. Love it!
    Lisa’s Creative Home´s last blog post ..A Weekend Yard Sale

25. ArticulateArt commented
    June 11th, 2011 at 12:10am

The room in the first picture looks amazing!!!! Everything looks perfect together!!!
    ArticulateArt´s last blog post ..Father’s Day Gift Ideas

26. Katrina commented
    June 11th, 2011 at 3:32am

Totally with Pippa on the double sided tape! I have also heard all over the blogs about color is 2012. Boy she is on it huh?!? Off to see her blog now.

27. Bea commented
    June 11th, 2011 at 10:38am

Looks like a dream to come to home like that after a busy day at work!

28. ellemoss commented
    June 11th, 2011 at 1:37pm

Love the Arizona Iced T bottle and using every day and unexpected objects and making them things of beauty.
    ellemoss´s last blog post ..peonies from my garden

29. Louise commented
    June 11th, 2011 at 6:38pm

For Julia:
    Hi Pippa and Holly, Im a designer, can I offer some advice to Julia and her conundrum? Firstly I agree with Pippa about using a much loved piece to inspire the colours and vibe of the design, but if you are having a problem placing the furniture in your room, stick to these:

1. Write down how you use your spaces – are you keen cooks (if so, does you kitchen need a professional to plan it), live for the TV, always lie on a sofa rather than sit, hate bright light in the morning (ie blackout lining in the bedroom?!), love reading, have a hobby that makes a mess etc. These thing dictate how you lay out your furniture and what you use individual rooms for.
    2. On graph paper, measure out your house, this is easier with 2 people, one shouting the length of a wall, the other writing the number against the drawn line. Do it in rough first if you like. I do this by standing in the middle of a room with a notepad in my hand and free draw its shape as I turn. Sounds obvious to some – so I’m sorry if that sounds patronising!! Dont forget cupboard doors, which way a room door opens, any sockets, fixed items etc. Join up the rooms so each flow from one to another. The measure your main items you possess – the sofa, armchair, coffee table, tv unit and TV, the bed, bedside, wardrobe etc. Cut out on coloured paper, SAME SCALE AS THE PLANS with red for must keeps, blue for would like to keeps and say green for not fusseds.
    3. Place the cutouts on the plans, making little “areas” that are obvoius – TV area for example would have a sofa or 2, and coffee table and armchair, think it through – for example, if you like reading in your armchair, and not your sofa – is there a socket near where you are placing it to have a reading light next to the chair, without tripping over the electrical cord! Or room for a small side table where you would want to place a cup of coffee and the book?
    4. Remember you need to be able to move your body around the items, try not to cram everything in! Especially important in Dining spaces, make sure you can push back a dining chair and get in and out of your seat comfortably, without a wall right beihind oh! and not bang elbows with your neighbour at the table! Very annoying.You can find out the inches/cms recommended for this by searching online if your that worried!
    5. Work each room out one by one, using your favorite “red” pieces first and filling in any gaps with the “blues and greens”! Be ruthless – if a piece wont fit, it WONT FIT! store it for when you refurb the room. Or push into another room where it might look perfect.
    6. Now. Place all the pieces for real. Walk around the space, do they look right together? would one sofa side table be better swapped with a table from your bedroom for example? Does the light above your head look out of proportion – remember large is sometimes good though! Do the colours work, whats MISSING (good excuse to shop) Rug? Lamp? Throw? Forgot the Curtains?
    You can now call yourselves Space Planners! Although this is only basic advice as I dont have enough room to go on more (Ive said enough!) Get the layout right and the missing items and accessories can be found one by one, dont rush, as Pippa rightly said, take a photo of your favourite piece out with you, or a piece of the curtain fabric in your purse, and when you think you have found something – ah ha! Does it match? Measure a piece of furniture – I always have my tape with me! look at your plan – will it fit in the empty space you need to fill?

Of course, if you’re like me, you buy things because you just love them and then worry about how and where to fit the bloomin thing when you get home….But then I’m a Designer, and thats my excuse. ;-))

Good Luck and have fun with it xx

30. Carolina Ellis commented
    June 11th, 2011 at 7:13pm

Pippa – I appreciate getting a response so soon. Thank you. Carolina
    Carolina Ellis´s last blog post ..Nine Dragons and a Wish

31. Ilze commented
    June 12th, 2011 at 10:53am

Wow. Really inspired by this post ! Very happy to hear about the colour trends. I do have a question… I see WHITE FLOORS everywhere . Thinking of doing that in our summer house – but my experience is that they are a NGIHTMARE to keep clean?! Is this true…. or are there any secrets to keeping them “white”? I love them but need to know if it is really just for stylists and not real homes…?!
    Ilze´s last blog post ..Stripemania

32. michelle chafin commented
    June 12th, 2011 at 11:09am

Wow very fresh look. I am a fan of the white floors. Great post:)
    michelle chafin´s last blog post ..Keeping Warm – this is great-

33. decor8 commented
    June 12th, 2011 at 2:28pm

@Ilze – Yes they are a nightmare to keep clean but some people are willing to vacuum and wash floors several times a week for the “look” of having them, they are gorgeous after all. I think the secret is NO SHOES EVER in the house and wearing slippers/socks that are clean, also picking up after yourself – the second something spills scrub it out, just be super clean and tidy. If you are naturally that way then white floors should be fine, if not, they will create more work. Also the finish is important. Using deck paint is a good idea vs. basic wall paint or wood paint for the inside – deck paint is waterproof and all weather so it tends to be much more forgiving indoors. If I had my own house, I would love white wooden floors but then again, I love natural hardwood and think they’re easier to maintain plus it’s very difficult and expensive to change white wooden floors into natural again if you ever tire of them. Best to really think it through.

34. Margarita Lorenzo commented
    June 12th, 2011 at 6:09pm

I like Pippa’s work, and her blog is full of ideas, and she is a lovely person which is a plus!! I would be very happy sleeping in that bedroom, love the color combination and the small details.

35. Ea commented
    June 13th, 2011 at 5:25am

i love Pippa’s style, especially how she uses a muted central color then accents it with bolder ones.
    Ea´s last blog post ..Social Love2

36. Carina commented
    June 13th, 2011 at 3:24pm

Beautiful photos, a stunning portfolio!

37. susan commented
    June 14th, 2011 at 1:21am

beautiful! i love the use of the shutters in lieu of curtains. i would love to know what else is in her “tool” bag! thanks for the interview, i really enjoyed it! susan
    susan´s last blog post ..Teacher Thank Yous

38. Cosy Home commented
    June 15th, 2011 at 1:47pm

Great to see Pippa’s styling work featured here! The bedroom, in particular, looks so peaceful and relaxing.

39. tina commented
    June 15th, 2011 at 4:21pm

fantastic post,i really enjoy

40. sarathira commented
    June 16th, 2011 at 7:05am

i think i fell in love with the name with since the royal wedding! haha I get so excited reading about a stylists’s personality and their work because I myself are looking to be one hopefully :) Thank you so much Holly for featuring such great stylists because I can learn so much from them and I feel you are such a great resource for that! Have a wonderful week ahead! x

41. Cynthia commented
    June 16th, 2011 at 10:15pm

May I ask where that midcentury bench in the first picture is from? I’m looking for something just like that for my dining table.

Thanks!

Cynthia

42. terrashaard commented
    June 20th, 2011 at 3:56pm

Great designs, This is a very fresh look. I am a fan of white floors.

43. Clayton Bodiford commented
    October 6th, 2012 at 12:44pm

Wow! Great interiors! I wish to try these designs in my home.