Nordic Design Blog

I had a chance to meet the founder of the Nordic Design blog recently, Catherine Lazure-Guinard, and she was so nice but her blog is also gorgeous since she is a talented curator with great vision. Catherine is a public relations and communications manager by day and a blogger by night who is from Quebec, Canada but now lives in the Netherlands and writes a blog about Scandinavian style. Hey, good for her for being so open-minded to change and new culture! Love it! Here is just a glimpse of some of the things she shares on her blog…

How sweet is this bedroom with those gorgeous painted wooden floors, the wonky lamp on a stool near the bed and that messy bed? This is so typical Scandinavian to me, casual but something to envy.

I like this messy work area that I’m thinking, doubles as an eating space or perhaps a client meeting area. The mismatched chairs in lacquered black are simple, understated beauty along with that vintage table.

Another wonky little lamp, this time with some taxidermy – a duck! I like the openness of this space and how welcoming it feels.

With Catherine’s strength being in corporate branding and public relations, I can see why her blog is so well laid out and designed. Catherine is obviously drawn in to the homespun charm that Scandinavian design embodies — something so many of us love — and that is all about hygge – the Danish word for cozy, acceptance, well-being. I think that’s why when you see a Scandi home, you can smell fresh rolls, flowers, see magazines laid out on the table, a sweater draped over a chair, a casual lived-in elegance that is imperfectly perfect as I always refer to these casual styles as being on decor8.

I hope that you’ll visit Nordic Design and check out Catherine’s finds today – it’s the decor8 blog of the week so enjoy!

(images: femina, lucky boy sunday, Mikkel Adsbøl and stylist Katrine Martensen-Larsen, Fritz Hansen and Bolaget.)

Posted by decor8 in blogs on June 29, 2011

1. cafenoHut commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 12:45pm

I would like to sit and drink coffee on the couch in front of the window.

2. my spatula commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 12:45pm

so much to love, i don’t know where to begin! catherine’s vision is beyond inspiring. wonky lamps, here i come! :)

3. Oum commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 12:50pm

I just love Nordic design ! Thank you for sharing this blog: it was added presto to my favorites :)

4. Unni Strand commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 1:02pm

Ah, yes! This is exactly how my Norwegian home looks like too, -not. I guess there used to be similarities. -When the house was new and before the mess came around. And after that, my daughter came with all her toys and clothes.
    But I can always hope…that my next house, that I will move into in a couple of days, will be a testemony of clean, nordic calmness.

5. Tricia - Avolli commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 1:07pm

Thanks for sharing this great blog. She really has captured the essence of the Scandinavian culture. I’ll be going back to her blog again and again!

My best,
    Tricia
    Avolli-Scandinavian Antiques

6. Tricia - Avolli commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 1:09pm

….’casual but something to envy’ is exactly how I would put it as well!

7. Peony and Thistle commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 1:16pm

Gorgeous! Will certainly be checking it out!

8. TJ commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 1:20pm

Wow, I am crazy about the floors in the images. Especially the shiny dark one in the hallway…! Thanks for sharing. Best wishes, tj

9. Lucent Imagery commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 1:26pm

Having just got home to Australia yesterday from a month in Europe that included stays in Norway and Denmark, this post is so timely as I’ve wanted to see more of Nordic designs. I loved the simple, neutral fashions too.

I love your summary “I think that’s why when you see a Scandi home, you can smell fresh rolls, flowers, see magazines laid out on the table, a sweater draped over a chair, a casual lived-in elegance that is imperfectly perfect …” Sounds like a perfect thing to emulate. And it was all the more perfect to come home after a month to fresh flowers that my Mum put in our kitchen.

10. Nat @ Dear Little House commented
    June 29th, 2011 at 1:30pm

Thanks for sharing it, I love checking out new blogs!

11. julia edna commented
    June 30th, 2011 at 4:12am

Thank you for this marvelous new blog.

I’m from Montréal and loooooove nordic design. I would say that Catherine’s house is a good mix of quebec’s and scandi style.

12. Lau de Casalil commented
    June 30th, 2011 at 7:38am

Oh great thanks for sharing I did’nt know her blog yet… very inspiring!! have a nice day Holly!

13. Skandivis commented
    July 7th, 2011 at 10:18am

It is a joy to find such a well designed blog sharing the joy of the Nordic look and feel!

14. Skandivis commented
    July 7th, 2011 at 10:19am

It is a joy to find such a well designed blog sharing the joy of the Nordic look and feel ?