Bloggers

Nordic Design Blog

June 29, 2011

I had a chance to meet the founder of the Nordic Design blog recently, Catherine Lazure-Guinard, and she was so nice but her blog is also gorgeous since she is a talented curator with great vision. Catherine is a public relations and communications manager by day and a blogger by night who is from Quebec, Canada but now lives in the Netherlands and writes a blog about Scandinavian style. Hey, good for her for being so open-minded to change and new culture! Love it! Here is just a glimpse of some of the things she shares on her blog…

Nordic Design Blog

How sweet is this bedroom with those gorgeous painted wooden floors, the wonky lamp on a stool near the bed and that messy bed? This is so typical Scandinavian to me, casual but something to envy.

Nordic Design Blog

I like this messy work area that I’m thinking, doubles as an eating space or perhaps a client meeting area. The mismatched chairs in lacquered black are simple, understated beauty along with that vintage table.

Nordic Design Blog

Another wonky little lamp, this time with some taxidermy – a duck! I like the openness of this space and how welcoming it feels.

Nordic Design Blog

With Catherine’s strength being in corporate branding and public relations, I can see why her blog is so well laid out and designed. Catherine is obviously drawn in to the homespun charm that Scandinavian design embodies — something so many of us love — and that is all about hygge – the Danish word for cozy, acceptance, well-being. I think that’s why when you see a Scandi home, you can smell fresh rolls, flowers, see magazines laid out on the table, a sweater draped over a chair, a casual lived-in elegance that is imperfectly perfect as I always refer to these casual styles as being on decor8.

Nordic Design Blog

Nordic Design Blog

Nordic Design Blog

Nordic Design Blog

Nordic Design Blog

Nordic Design Blog

I hope that you’ll visit Nordic Design and check out Catherine’s finds today – it’s the decor8 blog of the week so enjoy!

(images: femina, lucky boy sunday, Mikkel Adsbøl and stylist Katrine Martensen-Larsen, Fritz Hansen and Bolaget.)

You Might Also Like

14 Comments

• Reply cafenoHut June 29, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I would like to sit and drink coffee on the couch in front of the window.

• Reply my spatula June 29, 2011 at 12:45 pm

so much to love, i don’t know where to begin! catherine’s vision is beyond inspiring. wonky lamps, here i come! :)

• Reply Oum June 29, 2011 at 12:50 pm

I just love Nordic design ! Thank you for sharing this blog: it was added presto to my favorites :)

• Reply Unni Strand June 29, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Ah, yes! This is exactly how my Norwegian home looks like too, -not. I guess there used to be similarities. -When the house was new and before the mess came around. And after that, my daughter came with all her toys and clothes.
    But I can always hope…that my next house, that I will move into in a couple of days, will be a testemony of clean, nordic calmness.

• Reply Tricia - Avolli June 29, 2011 at 1:07 pm

Thanks for sharing this great blog. She really has captured the essence of the Scandinavian culture. I’ll be going back to her blog again and again!

My best,
    Tricia
    Avolli-Scandinavian Antiques

• Reply Tricia - Avolli June 29, 2011 at 1:09 pm

….’casual but something to envy’ is exactly how I would put it as well!

• Reply Peony and Thistle June 29, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Gorgeous! Will certainly be checking it out!

• Reply TJ June 29, 2011 at 1:20 pm

Wow, I am crazy about the floors in the images. Especially the shiny dark one in the hallway…! Thanks for sharing. Best wishes, tj

• Reply Lucent Imagery June 29, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Having just got home to Australia yesterday from a month in Europe that included stays in Norway and Denmark, this post is so timely as I’ve wanted to see more of Nordic designs. I loved the simple, neutral fashions too.

I love your summary “I think that’s why when you see a Scandi home, you can smell fresh rolls, flowers, see magazines laid out on the table, a sweater draped over a chair, a casual lived-in elegance that is imperfectly perfect …” Sounds like a perfect thing to emulate. And it was all the more perfect to come home after a month to fresh flowers that my Mum put in our kitchen.

• Reply Nat @ Dear Little House June 29, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Thanks for sharing it, I love checking out new blogs!

• Reply julia edna June 30, 2011 at 4:12 am

Thank you for this marvelous new blog.

I’m from Montréal and loooooove nordic design. I would say that Catherine’s house is a good mix of quebec’s and scandi style.

• Reply Lau de Casalil June 30, 2011 at 7:38 am

Oh great thanks for sharing I did’nt know her blog yet… very inspiring!! have a nice day Holly!

• Reply Skandivis July 7, 2011 at 10:18 am

It is a joy to find such a well designed blog sharing the joy of the Nordic look and feel!

• Reply Skandivis July 7, 2011 at 10:19 am

It is a joy to find such a well designed blog sharing the joy of the Nordic look and feel ?