A Stylish Polish Home

It’s time to explore a stylish space but not in New York, Berlin or Los Angeles, but in a country town in Poland! It’s a modern, natural style home outside of Warsaw together we’ll get to know the home owner and some decor trends over there. After writing recently about my desire to see homes in places that aren’t in your typical hip metropolis, I decided to do some research to see what I could find in Poland of all places. We’re only about 3 hours or so from the border and we pass license plates on the autobahn quite often from PL and I wonder what it’s like over there, I really have no idea… And then I heard that my book will be translated into Polish next Spring… so my interest is definitely piqued so let’s take a little trip, shall we? How are some people decorating in Poland today?

Home Tour: Natural Style in Poland

This gorgeous space belongs to Joanna “Asia” Gwis and her husband Seba along with their fur kids Fika the dog and four cats Antek, Koksik, Koko and Paproszek. [Are those not the cutest pet names ever?] Asia and Seba have owned their old wooden home for about four years and live 30 minutes outside of Warsaw in the countryside. Asia is an illustrator and graphic designer who works on freelance projects for magazines and book publishers and she authors her own decorating blog, Kavka while also running her small online shop under the name Oh Kavka where she sells her illustrations and a few handmade dolls.

Home Tour: Natural Style in Poland

The layout of the house goes something like this — the ground floor is one big room so it’s an open space with a separate bathroom – so they have their living room, dining area and kitchen more or less together. Then, on the first floor, there is another big room where they have their office, bedroom and master bathroom. So that’s the lay of the land. I thought I’d ask Asia a few questions about her inspirations, Polish trends and people there who inspire her so her thoughts and links are below.

Home Tour: Natural Style in Poland

How do you develop your creative eye? I love traveling. Visiting new places is the most inspiring thing because you can learn something new and also it can change your everyday views. You are able to see many new and interesting things during your travels but then once you are home you can look are your own objects around you in a new and interesting way!

Home Tour: Natural Style in Poland

What inspires you about living in Poland? Nature, folk art and little, forgotten places like this house or this one which I took at this open air museum in Tokarnia. I prefer the Polish countryside more than urban landscapes.

Home Tour: Natural Style in Poland

What are your favorite Polish interiors magazines and blogs? To be honest, I don’t have any favourite polish magazines or blogs. I buy Dom & Wnetrze or Polish editions of Elle Decoration (it’s not as good now as it once was) from time to time but I prefer international magazines because there is a little fear for Polish magazines to show “real” spaces, the way most of us here are living, without expensive furniture and designed by a well known interior designer etc. I prefer to see places like that over the flashy, expensive homes which is why on my blog I have the, “Visit with Kavka” series, which shows homes with a personal touch, mix of furniture and styles, etc.

Home Tour: Natural Style in Poland

What are some trends in interiors in Poland at this time? I don’t personally follow trends as I’ve been very faithful to my own style for years but I can show you what trends I’ve observed lately in magazines here so you can catch a glimpse into what is hot in Poland.

• Trend #1: Clean and graphic like this or this.
  • Trend #2: Classic, weathered wood and somewhat country like this or this.
  • Trend #3: A bit minimalist like this with retro touches.
  • Trend #4: Bold and elegant like this, this or this. Also this.
  • Trend #5: Mid century touches, here are some examples 1 or 2.
  • Trend #6: An eclectic Asian vibe.

Who are some Polish stylists or designers that you love? I absolutely love everything made by the stylist Basia Dere?-Marzec, whom I wrote about on my blog not to long ago. You can also see her online portfolio here. I also like Ola Wasilkowska who is a young Polish architect with great talent and vision.
I also like the spaces by designers Agnieszka Kossowska and Katarzyna Baumiller from Baumiller Kossowska because they are tasteful and accessible.

I hope that you enjoyed this peek into Poland today and thank you Asia and Seba for the warm welcome into your ultra cool home.

(Images: Joanna “Asia” Gwis)

Posted by decor8 in Home Tours on July 21, 2011

1. Heba commented
    July 21st, 2011 at 6:48pm

lovely post. love that black and white dinning chair so much!

2. Pauli commented
    July 21st, 2011 at 6:50pm

Wow, it is so great to hear that you are visiting Poland and your book will be translated to polish. Any chances for a book signing?

3. Malwina commented
    July 21st, 2011 at 6:58pm

Awesome! I love it that you write about Polish style. I’m originally from Poland myself, and even though most homes I’ve visited so far are rather old-fashioned, there is something about the Polish “make-do” mentality that I absolutely love. I guess I got it mainly from my Grandmother… that you can create beautiful (and functional) things simply by combining old stuff in unexpected ways, by embellishing what you already have, or by making it yourself from scratch. The eclectic kitchen table reminds me a bit of that philosophy. – Another thing I love is Polish folk art, especially when it’s presented in a more modern setting (like that colourful paper chandelier in the mostly neutral room).
    I’m going to Poland again this summer and can’t wait to get inspired & bring some pretty decoration back home. If you want to visit Poland yourself, make sure to check out Cracow! It’s one of my favourite place EVER. Let me know if you’d like some more travel tips, I’m happy to share!

4. Kristina - ingen vanlig dag commented
    July 21st, 2011 at 7:17pm

Wow! I just looked at the pictures (will come back and read all the great information and links you share tomorrow when I have more time) and I´m in love! The kitchen is awesome – I really liked the brick wall and the old wooden wall! Almost like we have :)

What a great idea from you to dig in to countries we most often don´t see in magazines. Thanks for sharing!

/Kristina

5. Ira commented
    July 21st, 2011 at 8:05pm

I wanna live in there! I’m in love, its tottaly my style!

6. kavka commented
    July 21st, 2011 at 8:07pm

Holly thank you so much for inviting me to your wonderful world of Decor8! I’m so proud and happy. Kisses to all your visitors :-)

7. anita schytte commented
    July 21st, 2011 at 8:49pm

Dear Holly.. of course you have found a jewel again.. very very nice home and also funky interior – my compliments!- Think I will start up to mix some graphic patterns and impressions into my home again ..can’t wait..

8. yanitsa commented
    July 21st, 2011 at 9:20pm

I loooveeee the bulldog graphic! would appreciate it if someone can tell me where is it from

9. Amy commented
    July 21st, 2011 at 10:40pm

what a gorgeous home! i love the attention to small details, and just how bright and spacious it is… a couple of rooms have the same look as my office – books and magazines galore.

i love to see poland getting some attention! i’m a 1/4 polish, and a fun fact – i was adopted at a very young age and didn’t know my roots. after finding my birth family later in life i discovered i was a 1/4 polish and thought it was interesting that half of my friends i had already made here in canada, who i gravitated towards naturally and feel most comfortable with are all 100% polish!

10. desiree - Vosgesparis commented
    July 21st, 2011 at 11:04pm

Really interesting post, it is so nice to get to know the Polish a bit better.. and besides that her home is absolutely my cup of tea I love the art in her place , the black and white moodboards and posters are very beautiful made and chosen ;)
    Desiree

11. Marie commented
    July 22nd, 2011 at 1:55am

Absolutely stunning, timeless. I wish I were able to visit this wonderful place during my upcoming trip to Poland!

Malwina, could you recommend places where I could find nice decor items in Poland (Krakow and elsewhere)? Thank you!

12. Melissa Jaine commented
    July 22nd, 2011 at 4:06am

I just adore the IKEA step-stool leading to the staircase! How cute is that?! And then the white floor boards, the rectangle bath (love!), the whole place is gorgeous, thanks Holly.
    mj.
    x

13. Diane commented
    July 22nd, 2011 at 6:18am

Oh my, I love this house!

14. Raincloud commented
    July 22nd, 2011 at 8:16am

I’m happy to hear that “Decorate” will be translated to polish :) Can’t wait!
    And thank you for sharing this fantastic interior from Poland here!

15. Kimberley commented
    July 22nd, 2011 at 8:23am

Wow. That’s like my perfect home, all that white and wood with animal elements.

16. Agata commented
    July 22nd, 2011 at 9:52am

Hello,
    I’m a great fan of Asia Gwis, her work, beautiful house and special blog.
    I’m so happy to see her here. But I think her house is really unique in Poland, I haven’t seen many houses like that there. For me, her house is showing that you don’t have to have a lot of money to create a unique and great space. Most of the houses Asia spotted are from rich people, so they can pay to have an Interior Designer help.
    Asia is very talented women, and I like her style a lot.
    Thank you for this great post!
    Agata

17. Kamila commented
    July 22nd, 2011 at 10:05am

Your book will availabe here in Poland!!!!!!!!!OOOoooooooomggggg im so excited I will be first to buy it!

18. Manette commented
    July 22nd, 2011 at 5:29pm

Wow, so much to like. I wasn’t familiar with Polish style so this post was particularly interesting to me.

19. Ewelina commented
    July 22nd, 2011 at 9:32pm

Wow! How cool of you to post about such beautiful interiors from Poland, my homeland :) I’ve personally never seen a home like this over there even though most of the people I visit while in Poland live in a very stylish way; yet not as Scandinavian as Kavka does. I really like their house!

20. ania.the.map.cutter commented
    July 23rd, 2011 at 6:19am

Asiu – Twoj dom jest przepiekny! Jak milo wpasc w decor8 na Polke!

21. Jeanette commented
    July 23rd, 2011 at 2:19pm

The photos of this home proves Mies Van der Rohe was right. Less is More. What a beautiful home! Even minimalistic in design, it has warmth and comfort.

22. Nikkie commented
    July 23rd, 2011 at 4:14pm

Wow, I’d love to live there. It looks cozy and clean at the same time. Very beautiful. But I really, really adore those stairs in the middle of the room. How cool is that?!

23. Glenda Childers commented
    July 24th, 2011 at 1:38am

I hope, Holly, that after all your book tours are done . . . you can take some vacation time and head to Poland. I have been there many times and love it. Krakow if my favorite . . . amazing markets. I think you would love it.

Fondly,
    Glenda

24. Sally commented
    July 24th, 2011 at 5:41pm

It’s my first time visiting the blog, I was immediately hooked and look forward to keeping up with it regularly!

Lovely Polish home! Thanks for the post. I love the colorful pompom chandelier. Any idea if that was made by Joanna? Or, bought and if so, where?

25. shivangi commented
    July 25th, 2011 at 11:11am

beautiful home!!…love the colorful paper chandelier the most coz it adds a perfect touch to the minimalist white interiors and quirky artwork
    -shivangi

26. Hollie commented
    July 26th, 2011 at 3:49am

I LOVE this house! Love the mix of furniture and design ideas. I have to know where that black and white chair is at the end of the dining table!
    Please – can anyone help??

27. Olivia commented
    July 26th, 2011 at 9:43am

I love these colours!

28. whorange commented
    July 27th, 2011 at 8:41am

Wow….such an amazing post! Wall-to-wall gorgeousness. Her illustrations are fabulous, too!

29. mary commented
    July 27th, 2011 at 4:37pm

Nice post
    I love the HANG hanger, where is it possible to find it ????

30. becky commented
    July 27th, 2011 at 5:25pm

So stunning! My girlfriends and I have been toying with taking a trip to Poland, if you’re ever looking for blog fodder, we’d appreciate a what to see/where to go/cool places to stay guide :)

31. Debbie commented
    November 25th, 2011 at 5:40pm

Thank you so much for sharing this fabulous home. By the way… I`m going to follow your inspiring blog.

32. Karin commented
    December 2nd, 2011 at 5:40pm

Liebe Joanna, lieber Seba,

euer Zuhause ist herrlich lässig und total schön!!!

Frohe Weihnachten für Euch und Hund, Katze, Maus

33. Charles commented
    December 7th, 2011 at 11:34am

lovely home, the furniture pieces look great. Especially the antique looking ones, are they antique pieces or just have that look?

34. Agnieszka commented
    January 31st, 2013 at 5:23pm

Hi! Don’t say you prefer Polish countryside to urban spaces…have a look at Manufaktura a Lodz, I’m sure you’ll love it! Then I could give you some more interesting Polish names like: Tomasz Rygalik, Oskar Zieta, Monika Patuszynska, Moho Design, Aze Design, Tomasz Augustyniak…shall I contniue?;) Anyway, I love your blog…soon I’ll have my own and I hope to see you there!;)