Home Tours

July 21, 2011

It’s time to explore a stylish space but not in New York, Berlin or Los Angeles, but in a country town in Poland! It’s a modern, natural style home outside of Warsaw together we’ll get to know the home owner and some decor trends over there. After writing recently about my desire to see homes in places that aren’t in your typical hip metropolis, I decided to do some research to see what I could find in Poland of all places. We’re only about 3 hours or so from the border and we pass license plates on the autobahn quite often from PL and I wonder what it’s like over there, I really have no idea… And then I heard that my book will be translated into Polish next Spring… so my interest is definitely piqued so let’s take a little trip, shall we? How are some people decorating in Poland today?

A Stylish Polish Home

This gorgeous space belongs to Joanna “Asia” Gwis and her husband Seba along with their fur kids Fika the dog and four cats Antek, Koksik, Koko and Paproszek. [Are those not the cutest pet names ever?] Asia and Seba have owned their old wooden home for about four years and live 30 minutes outside of Warsaw in the countryside. Asia is an illustrator and graphic designer who works on freelance projects for magazines and book publishers and she authors her own decorating blog, Kavka while also running her small online shop under the name Oh Kavka where she sells her illustrations and a few handmade dolls.

A Stylish Polish Home

The layout of the house goes something like this — the ground floor is one big room so it’s an open space with a separate bathroom – so they have their living room, dining area and kitchen more or less together. Then, on the first floor, there is another big room where they have their office, bedroom and master bathroom. So that’s the lay of the land. I thought I’d ask Asia a few questions about her inspirations, Polish trends and people there who inspire her so her thoughts and links are below.

A Stylish Polish Home

How do you develop your creative eye? I love traveling. Visiting new places is the most inspiring thing because you can learn something new and also it can change your everyday views. You are able to see many new and interesting things during your travels but then once you are home you can look are your own objects around you in a new and interesting way!

A Stylish Polish Home

What inspires you about living in Poland? Nature, folk art and little, forgotten places like this house or this one which I took at this open air museum in Tokarnia. I prefer the Polish countryside more than urban landscapes.

A Stylish Polish Home

What are your favorite Polish interiors magazines and blogs? To be honest, I don’t have any favourite polish magazines or blogs. I buy Dom & Wnetrze or Polish editions of Elle Decoration (it’s not as good now as it once was) from time to time but I prefer international magazines because there is a little fear for Polish magazines to show “real” spaces, the way most of us here are living, without expensive furniture and designed by a well known interior designer etc. I prefer to see places like that over the flashy, expensive homes which is why on my blog I have the, “Visit with Kavka” series, which shows homes with a personal touch, mix of furniture and styles, etc.

A Stylish Polish Home

What are some trends in interiors in Poland at this time? I don’t personally follow trends as I’ve been very faithful to my own style for years but I can show you what trends I’ve observed lately in magazines here so you can catch a glimpse into what is hot in Poland.

• Trend #1: Clean and graphic like this or this.
  • Trend #2: Classic, weathered wood and somewhat country like this or this.
  • Trend #3: A bit minimalist like this with retro touches.
  • Trend #4: Bold and elegant like this, this or this. Also this.
  • Trend #5: Mid century touches, here are some examples 1 or 2.
  • Trend #6: An eclectic Asian vibe.

Who are some Polish stylists or designers that you love? I absolutely love everything made by the stylist Basia Dere?-Marzec, whom I wrote about on my blog not to long ago. You can also see her online portfolio here. I also like Ola Wasilkowska who is a young Polish architect with great talent and vision.
I also like the spaces by designers Agnieszka Kossowska and Katarzyna Baumiller from Baumiller Kossowska because they are tasteful and accessible.

I hope that you enjoyed this peek into Poland today and thank you Asia and Seba for the warm welcome into your ultra cool home.

(Images: Joanna “Asia” Gwis)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Heba July 21, 2011 at 6:48 pm

lovely post. love that black and white dinning chair so much!

• Reply Pauli July 21, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Wow, it is so great to hear that you are visiting Poland and your book will be translated to polish. Any chances for a book signing?

• Reply Malwina July 21, 2011 at 6:58 pm

Awesome! I love it that you write about Polish style. I’m originally from Poland myself, and even though most homes I’ve visited so far are rather old-fashioned, there is something about the Polish “make-do” mentality that I absolutely love. I guess I got it mainly from my Grandmother… that you can create beautiful (and functional) things simply by combining old stuff in unexpected ways, by embellishing what you already have, or by making it yourself from scratch. The eclectic kitchen table reminds me a bit of that philosophy. – Another thing I love is Polish folk art, especially when it’s presented in a more modern setting (like that colourful paper chandelier in the mostly neutral room).
    I’m going to Poland again this summer and can’t wait to get inspired & bring some pretty decoration back home. If you want to visit Poland yourself, make sure to check out Cracow! It’s one of my favourite place EVER. Let me know if you’d like some more travel tips, I’m happy to share!

• Reply Kristina - ingen vanlig dag July 21, 2011 at 7:17 pm

Wow! I just looked at the pictures (will come back and read all the great information and links you share tomorrow when I have more time) and I´m in love! The kitchen is awesome – I really liked the brick wall and the old wooden wall! Almost like we have :)

What a great idea from you to dig in to countries we most often don´t see in magazines. Thanks for sharing!

• Reply Ira July 21, 2011 at 8:05 pm

I wanna live in there! I’m in love, its tottaly my style!

• Reply kavka July 21, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Holly thank you so much for inviting me to your wonderful world of Decor8! I’m so proud and happy. Kisses to all your visitors :-)

• Reply anita schytte July 21, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Dear Holly.. of course you have found a jewel again.. very very nice home and also funky interior – my compliments!- Think I will start up to mix some graphic patterns and impressions into my home again ..can’t wait..

• Reply yanitsa July 21, 2011 at 9:20 pm

I loooveeee the bulldog graphic! would appreciate it if someone can tell me where is it from

• Reply Amy July 21, 2011 at 10:40 pm

what a gorgeous home! i love the attention to small details, and just how bright and spacious it is… a couple of rooms have the same look as my office – books and magazines galore.

i love to see poland getting some attention! i’m a 1/4 polish, and a fun fact – i was adopted at a very young age and didn’t know my roots. after finding my birth family later in life i discovered i was a 1/4 polish and thought it was interesting that half of my friends i had already made here in canada, who i gravitated towards naturally and feel most comfortable with are all 100% polish!

• Reply desiree - Vosgesparis July 21, 2011 at 11:04 pm

Really interesting post, it is so nice to get to know the Polish a bit better.. and besides that her home is absolutely my cup of tea I love the art in her place , the black and white moodboards and posters are very beautiful made and chosen ;)

• Reply Marie July 22, 2011 at 1:55 am

Absolutely stunning, timeless. I wish I were able to visit this wonderful place during my upcoming trip to Poland!

Malwina, could you recommend places where I could find nice decor items in Poland (Krakow and elsewhere)? Thank you!

• Reply Melissa Jaine July 22, 2011 at 4:06 am

I just adore the IKEA step-stool leading to the staircase! How cute is that?! And then the white floor boards, the rectangle bath (love!), the whole place is gorgeous, thanks Holly.

• Reply Diane July 22, 2011 at 6:18 am

Oh my, I love this house!

• Reply Raincloud July 22, 2011 at 8:16 am

I’m happy to hear that “Decorate” will be translated to polish :) Can’t wait!
    And thank you for sharing this fantastic interior from Poland here!

• Reply Kimberley July 22, 2011 at 8:23 am

Wow. That’s like my perfect home, all that white and wood with animal elements.

• Reply Agata July 22, 2011 at 9:52 am

I’m a great fan of Asia Gwis, her work, beautiful house and special blog.
    I’m so happy to see her here. But I think her house is really unique in Poland, I haven’t seen many houses like that there. For me, her house is showing that you don’t have to have a lot of money to create a unique and great space. Most of the houses Asia spotted are from rich people, so they can pay to have an Interior Designer help.
    Asia is very talented women, and I like her style a lot.
    Thank you for this great post!

• Reply Kamila July 22, 2011 at 10:05 am

Your book will availabe here in Poland!!!!!!!!!OOOoooooooomggggg im so excited I will be first to buy it!

• Reply Manette July 22, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Wow, so much to like. I wasn’t familiar with Polish style so this post was particularly interesting to me.

• Reply Ewelina July 22, 2011 at 9:32 pm

Wow! How cool of you to post about such beautiful interiors from Poland, my homeland :) I’ve personally never seen a home like this over there even though most of the people I visit while in Poland live in a very stylish way; yet not as Scandinavian as Kavka does. I really like their house!

• Reply ania.the.map.cutter July 23, 2011 at 6:19 am

Asiu – Twoj dom jest przepiekny! Jak milo wpasc w decor8 na Polke!

• Reply Jeanette July 23, 2011 at 2:19 pm

The photos of this home proves Mies Van der Rohe was right. Less is More. What a beautiful home! Even minimalistic in design, it has warmth and comfort.

• Reply Nikkie July 23, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Wow, I’d love to live there. It looks cozy and clean at the same time. Very beautiful. But I really, really adore those stairs in the middle of the room. How cool is that?!

• Reply Glenda Childers July 24, 2011 at 1:38 am

I hope, Holly, that after all your book tours are done . . . you can take some vacation time and head to Poland. I have been there many times and love it. Krakow if my favorite . . . amazing markets. I think you would love it.

• Reply Sally July 24, 2011 at 5:41 pm

It’s my first time visiting the blog, I was immediately hooked and look forward to keeping up with it regularly!

Lovely Polish home! Thanks for the post. I love the colorful pompom chandelier. Any idea if that was made by Joanna? Or, bought and if so, where?

• Reply shivangi July 25, 2011 at 11:11 am

beautiful home!!…love the colorful paper chandelier the most coz it adds a perfect touch to the minimalist white interiors and quirky artwork

• Reply Hollie July 26, 2011 at 3:49 am

I LOVE this house! Love the mix of furniture and design ideas. I have to know where that black and white chair is at the end of the dining table!
    Please – can anyone help??

• Reply Olivia July 26, 2011 at 9:43 am

I love these colours!

• Reply whorange July 27, 2011 at 8:41 am

Wow….such an amazing post! Wall-to-wall gorgeousness. Her illustrations are fabulous, too!

• Reply mary July 27, 2011 at 4:37 pm

Nice post
    I love the HANG hanger, where is it possible to find it ????

• Reply becky July 27, 2011 at 5:25 pm

So stunning! My girlfriends and I have been toying with taking a trip to Poland, if you’re ever looking for blog fodder, we’d appreciate a what to see/where to go/cool places to stay guide :)

• Reply Debbie November 25, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this fabulous home. By the way… I`m going to follow your inspiring blog.

• Reply Karin December 2, 2011 at 5:40 pm

Liebe Joanna, lieber Seba,

euer Zuhause ist herrlich lässig und total schön!!!

Frohe Weihnachten für Euch und Hund, Katze, Maus

• Reply Charles December 7, 2011 at 11:34 am

lovely home, the furniture pieces look great. Especially the antique looking ones, are they antique pieces or just have that look?

• Reply Agnieszka January 31, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Hi! Don’t say you prefer Polish countryside to urban spaces…have a look at Manufaktura a Lodz, I’m sure you’ll love it! Then I could give you some more interesting Polish names like: Tomasz Rygalik, Oskar Zieta, Monika Patuszynska, Moho Design, Aze Design, Tomasz Augustyniak…shall I contniue?;) Anyway, I love your blog…soon I’ll have my own and I hope to see you there!;)

• Reply Kasia Antończyk, Little Miss Architect June 16, 2015 at 2:25 pm

I love these interiors, the’re so…liveable. Especially the kitchen is stunning.