Meet Me at The Creative Connection in St. Paul Next Week!

I’m heading off to St. Paul, Minnesota next week for The Creative Connection where I am speaking and signing copies of Decorate, so I’ve already started to prepare my speech and to examine my wardrobe to see what I can wear as standing before hundreds of people giving a keynote is a brand new experience for me! I’m excited, very much in fact, but also a bit shy about the whole hair and wardrobe bit! I’ve been thinking a lot too about what I’m going to do in St. Paul for 7 days, I know nothing about the city, and this has given me a curiosity now that I’m trying to satisfy through google. :) I found this, which helped, but I’m eager to find out more about St. Paul!

stpaul

Thankfully, lots of my friends will be at TCC like Leslie, Matthew, Julie, Leigh… but also I’ll get to meet Kelly Rae, Heather Bailey and a bunch of other creatives so I’ll no doubt have plenty to occupy my time there! I’ll also be taking some classes, including those that Leslie is teaching (if you go, you simply must sign up for hers as she has a ton of greatness to share!), and I plan to hit what is a dream pop-up art show for me – one put on right across the street from where The Creative Connection is held, featuring the work of Amy Rice and Jennifer Davis. I adore both of these ladies and everything their hands touch, so the timing couldn’t be more perfect. I collect Jennifer Davis’ work, I own about 8 original paintings and 1 limited edition print. I’m such a fan girl!

Will you be at The Creative Connection? If so, look for me on Thursday night as I’ll be speaking as a keynote during the welcoming dinner and then I’ll be answering audience questions so you’ll have me for a few hours to ask anything and everything that you wish. I’ll be talking about how I built my business, blogging and how to use it as a catalyst to live a better life, tips on blogging better and from the heart, I will fill your plate with plenty of advice and inspiration as I plan to give you every single drop of myself — in order to encourage and motivate YOU.

If you’re not attending TCC and want to pop in anyway to listen to me speak, along with Oprah’s right hand lady in the kitchen, Celebrity chef Cristina Ferrare, then please register ASAP for only the welcoming dinner on Thursday evening, September 15th. It will last about 3 hours and your ticket will include the two lectures, Q&A session, a full dinner and of course, you can meet me immediately following the event because I’ll stick around to meet as many of you as I can. The ticket for that event only is $125 and I heard there are only 25 seats left so act now if you want to be a part of the welcoming dinner.

Registration is super confusing so let me walk you through how to register for the dinner where I’ll be speaking:

1. First go to this page.

2. Next, enter your email address then select “à la carte”.

3. Click Continue.

4. Fill out all of the needed information.

5. Click Continue.

6. Now you are on the page for activities happening on “Thursday 09/15/2011″. To attend my dinner, click on “Keynote Dinner: Cristina Ferrare And Holly Becker $125.00″.

7. Click Continue and go through the rest of the pages until you get to the end, complete the payment information and you should be all set!

See you next week at The Creative Connection! xo

BY THE WAY: Help! Any must-see shops or restaurants with organic food that I should visit? Any boba tea shops in St. Paul? Many thanks in advance!!!!

(images: artwork by jennifer davis)

Posted by decor8 in events + markets, travel on September 06, 2011

1. bonitarose commented
    September 6th, 2011 at 2:16pm

Although I live close to St Paul .. I live in Fargo.. financially I just couldn’t afford to go to this.. I am really bummed, as I know I’ll be reading all about this in blog land next week.. my heart is there, just not me. I’ll hv to live it through all your blogs. xo
    bonitarose´s last blog post ..List 6 {9.06.11}

2. Rachel Johnson commented
    September 6th, 2011 at 2:41pm

I’ll be at The Creative Connection. I can’t wait to hear you speak!

3. Jennifer Davis commented
    September 6th, 2011 at 3:17pm

Yaaaay, Holly! Can’t wait to meet you in MN! You have to dig a bit to find the good stuff in St. Paul- ha! I made a blog post about “10 Fun Free/Cheap Things To Do” withing walking distance of Creative Connection (on my blog) but for good shopping (and tea?) your best bet might be to take a cab to Grand Ave: http://www.grandave.com. Minneapolis and the GIGANTIC Mall of America are also very close.
    I’m looking forward to trying this: http://tanpoporestaurant.com
    Let me know if y’all are looking for anything else in particular- I’m happy to help! xo-jd
    Jennifer Davis´s last blog post ..Delightful 3: A Pop-Up Art Gallery

4. Jennifer Davis commented
    September 6th, 2011 at 3:17pm

Oh and- THANK YOOOOOU! xoxo
    Jennifer Davis´s last blog post ..Delightful 3: A Pop-Up Art Gallery

5. Becky commented
    September 6th, 2011 at 3:32pm

I suggest checking out Heartland Restaurant and Farm Dirct Market for a splurge on an amazing meal. If you’re looking for a cute shopping district with a lot of good dining options checkout Grand Avenue – I suggest Brasa Rotisserie and Cafe Latte.

6. betz commented
    September 6th, 2011 at 3:32pm

Hi Holly,
    I am teaching at TCCE again this year and look forward to meeting you! This is a fun/yummy restaurant in Minneapolis:

Safe travels and see you soon!
    Betz

7. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    September 6th, 2011 at 4:44pm

SO perfect for you, that those two ladies are going to be there. Wish I could come & pick up some of their fabu art with you. Have a fantastic time lovely and enjoy! :)
    xo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Cheap & Chic

8. Amanda St.Clair commented
    September 6th, 2011 at 5:10pm

Hi Holly! I’ll be attend TCC for the 1st time and look forward to hearing you speak and meeting you! Thanks everyone for the St.Paul tips since I’ve never been there (live in FL). I’ll definitely have to stop by your art show, Jennifer.

Have a beautiful day,
    Amanda
    Amanda St.Clair´s last blog post ..My Favorite Things

9. Bridget commented
    September 6th, 2011 at 5:55pm

Let’s see—my favorites in St. Paul:

–go to the ice cream Glocca Morra shop at the University of Minnesota’s St. Paul campus to buy fresh ice cream and cheese; so delicious! (open Wednesdays, 3-5 pm)

–walk downtown! And eat some caramel corn at Candyland while you’re at it.

–Grand Avenue shops and food are wonderful – think Cafe Latte and Trotter’s Cafe for local and delicious sandwiches.

The Science Museum is wonderful.

Have fun in my hometown!

10. Anna commented
    September 6th, 2011 at 8:14pm

St Paul is a wonderful, quaint city. If you have time- I recommend visiting Minneapolis as well. There are art galleries galore (northeastminneapolisartsdistrict.com) not to mention the Walker Art Museum and Sculpture Garden. If you like coffee I recommend Spyhouse. Beer? The Muddy Pig. Food? Endless suggestions. I could go on and on with things to do in the cities. I hope you have a fantastic trip.

11. Lila commented
    September 6th, 2011 at 9:23pm

Check out The Tea Garden for bubble tea & French Meadow in Minneapolis for organic/local food!

12. Kim - The TomKat Studio commented
    September 6th, 2011 at 9:53pm

I cannot wait to hear you speak and to meet you, Holly! You have been such an inspiration for me!

13. Cindy commented
    September 7th, 2011 at 4:54am

I agree with Cafe Latte…amazing food in the heart of St. Paul. Good Earth has great organic food, cute restaurant located in Roseville, just a couple minutes north of St. Paul.

Downtown St. Paul-Rice Park is beautiful and right across from the St. Paul Hotel which is an awesome historic building with a GREAT rose garden right out front that you can walk through. Very inspiring for us creative types :)

We just moved here from FL and we are obsessed! One of the most amazing cities, you will love it!
    Cindy´s last blog post ..Rain Appreciation Day

14. shayshay commented
    September 7th, 2011 at 4:58am

I live in and love st paul! you’ll be in lowertown at the conference so you’ll need to check out the new restaurant Amsterdam (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Amsterdam-Bar-and-Hall/224729617567308?sk=info). There are plenty of amazing restaurants and bars in that neighborhood: Bin wine bar, Bulldog (craft beer), Heartland (amazing little restaurant and fabulous craft bartenders!), Faces, trattoria da vinci, and just a hop skip jump down west 7th is the glockenspiel (authentically amazing german!).
    Head up to the Muddy Pig (http://muddypig.com/) and bar crawl down selby ave for some amazing food, and you’ll feel like you’re in another city with all of the brownstones and shops (http://www.twincitiesdiningguide.com/pages/st_paul_cathedral_hill_restaurants.asp).
    Head up to University Ave for some of the most amazing vietnamese food you’ll ever have. I highly recommend Ngon Bistro (http://www.ngonbistro.com/) an amazing little fusion joint where all of the food is locally sourced-
    If you’re looking for stuff to do, I highly recommend l’etoile to get you on the right track: http://letoilemagazine.blogspot.com/
    If you’d like to shop, Selby/Snelling is the greatest little corner for vintage. There’s Lula, Go Vintage, Up Six, and tons of boutique shops (http://www.alishops.com/twincitiesneighborhoodstores.asp?sort=Selby%20and%20Snelling). Just west of that intersection is the Mall of St Paul, which will leave you reeling from all of the great antiques/mid century junk!
    Minneapolis is on the other side of the river, but there’s so much to do in St Paul!
    Seriously, email me if you’re bored, I’ll come up with something fantastic for you! Hope you have an amazing time in our great little city!

15. Emily commented
    September 7th, 2011 at 6:05am

So great you are coming to St. Paul. I echo the recommendations (especially Heartland) and suggest:

– The Walker has a great museum shop, as does the Weisman at the University of Minnesota’s campus
    – Treadle Yard Goods (on Grand Avenue in St. Paul) for fun fabric, ribbon, etc.
    – Patina and the Bibelot stores (both in St. Paul and Minneapolis as wel
    – Paper Patisserie in St. Paul is a nice little paper store in the Cathedral Hill area of St. Paul, which is fun to walk around, and near Summit Avenue, where many of the grand old houses are.
    – Russell + Hazel is a great paper store in Edina sort of near where you’ll be in St. Louis Park

Most you can check out online before committing to schlepping to, of course.

Safe travels!

16. Sarah commented
    September 7th, 2011 at 3:08pm

Heartland Restaurant for a lovely farm-to-table dinner or brunch. Meritage for lunch, brunch, or dinner is even closer to the conference. A short taxi away on Grand Avenue is Brasa Rotisserie (James Beard award winning chef — this is his casual restaurant) and Punch Pizza (excellent casual Neopolitian style pizza). Black Sheep Pizza has a downtown St. Paul location with coal fired Pizza and excellent farmers market salads. Barrio has a great lunch taco bar and view of Mears Park. Lots of roaming food trucks, especially on Mondays and Wednesdays — my favorite are @GastroTruck, @128Cafe, @ForkNRoadTruck, and @ChefShack.

Check out http://www.heavytable.com for tons of recent restaurant reviews.

17. Kristin Nilsen commented
    September 7th, 2011 at 4:10pm

I read someone recommending russel &hazel? Don’t miss this this shop! It has the Most beautiful “office supplies” i’ve ever seen! In the same neighborhood, you’ll find great organic food at turtle bread, tilia, and Franklin street bakery. Other great shops in the neighborhood, include victory, Rick rack and the linden hills florist (yes, a florist, but they have some cool furniture pieces by Lark’s nest). And you can’t visit the twin cities without walking around a lake. Lake Harriet and lake Calhoun are both near these places and both have fantastic food stands – bread and pickle for organic fare and tin fish for fish tacos. Have fun! Wish I could join you!

18. Elizabeth Griffith commented
    September 8th, 2011 at 10:16pm

Don’t miss out on grabbing a bite to eat at Punch Pizza! I second that recommendation BIG TIME.

19. Julie the Alkaline Sister commented
    September 9th, 2011 at 6:42am

Oh Holly I can’t believe it’s nearly upon us! Time seems to have flown since we last played! Between my teaching gigs and your talks I hope we get to enjoy some yummy, healthy eats! See you real soon! And thanx kindly friend, for the link:) xo Maybe we can even find a raw food joint!!-or a juice bar!
    Julie the Alkaline Sister´s last blog post ..Raw Muesli of Fresh Fig, Cucumber & Gingered Buckwheat–Breakfast or Dessert? You decide!

20. Jessica Senti commented
    September 13th, 2011 at 5:59am

I’ll be there! I can’t wait to see you in person! :) I was in your last BYW class, and was so excited to hear that you were speaking at (and attending) The Creative Connection! I can’t wait to meet Leslie too. I’m taking both of her classes. I’m coming to your book event at Anthropologie too! What an exciting week! :)
    Jessica Senti´s last blog post ..{My Life} My Love

21. Aryn commented
    September 14th, 2011 at 7:08pm

On your way to Anthropologie tonight, stop at Yum! It’s soooo good and the space is amazingly well-designed. They’re open 7am to 8pm.

This is my first visit to your blog, although I’ve been reading about you in others. I wanted to check in and “research” before TCC! Excited to hear you speak Thursday evening and check out the new book! Congratulations!
    Aryn´s last blog post ..How To: Fold an Origami Crane (and it’s for a good cause!)

22. carolyn commented
    September 14th, 2011 at 7:26pm

oh, you’re going to love the twin cities. i’m a minneapolis girl, so my recommendations will bring you to the other side of the river, but if you have a few days, it’s really no trouble to do so!

wise acre eatery — a new place i just got to try out, really great. they have a farm outside the cities where they raise all their livestock, grow produce, etc. charming place and if the weather’s nice, a great outdoor seating area! (wiseacreeatery.com)

french meadow bakery — delicious organic brunch spot, (as well as lunch & dinner) (http://www.frenchmeadow.com/)

i’m going to echo the recommendation for the Muddy Pig for beers and add The Happy Gnome, also in st. paul. (http://thehappygnome.com/)

if you’re looking to do some fun scavenging/antiques/curiosities shopping, hunt & gather is a really fun shop. (http://huntandgatherantiques.com/)

be sure to walk around any of the chains of lakes–again, i’m more familiar with minneapolis’ calhoun-harriet-isles-cedar area than st. paul’s waterfront. although, harriet island is cute for a walk.

oh, i could go on and on for days. i hope you have a lovely time!!

23. AbbySue commented
    September 16th, 2011 at 6:39am

I’ve heard a lot about your blog and book recently, so I finally decided to check it out. Love it and I’m SO bummed that I didn’t know about this before, because I live in St. Paul. I missed seeing you in person but I hope you are enjoying our lovely little city and maybe I’ll at least make it to part of TCC this weekend!