Shopping + Products

Shop Absolutely Beautiful Things Online

September 8, 2011

It’s springtime in Australia — flowers are blooming, the sun is shining and sweet color abounds! Did you know that blogger and interior designer Anna Spiro from Absolutely Beautiful Things and Black & Spiro recently launched an online shop? Oh yes, she has and the concept is super original. She calls it the Absolutely Beautiful Things store where you “Shop This Look”, but I call it a brilliant Shop By Numbers retail experience that I predict is a growing trend for websites everywhere. It takes the guesswork out and puts the fun back in online shopping because frankly, online shopping needs a boost because the same ole same ole experience of buying stuff online can be so vanilla and I’d like to see more shops adding content or features to their site that an in-store experience just can’t give.

Shop Absolutely Beautiful Things Online

(Above: Anna breaks down each item in her styled room, making it a breeze to get the look! She clearly loves pink!)

I’ve seen this shop by numbers approach only a few times online so it still feels like a very fresh approach to selling and I love how you can build a room easily through the overall approach of breaking down all of the items and more or less saying, “Hey, you like it, here you go – now you can buy it.” It takes the complication out of what can often be very complicated – shopping for decorative items online. It’s also easier to find products in a photo that you like when you can just click on the item and instantly link to where it’s listed on the site.

Shop Absolutely Beautiful Things Online

Shop Absolutely Beautiful Things Online

And for those of you who aren’t familiar with this Australian design maven, check out these beautiful images from her home and shop. Swoooooon!

Shop Absolutely Beautiful Things Online

Shop Absolutely Beautiful Things Online

Shop Absolutely Beautiful Things Online

Shop Absolutely Beautiful Things Online

Shop Absolutely Beautiful Things Online

Shop Absolutely Beautiful Things Online

Love this, Anna – way to go!

(images: elouise van riet-gray)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Juliette September 8, 2011 at 5:46 pm

I couldn’t agree more about the need for online shopping to get a facelift. I really like this method b/c it feels interactive and really showcases the shop’s aesthetic and creativity…and it will probably get me to buy more, lol! Seriously though, I love how some clothing stores are also doing this b/c I feel like I suck at picking out good outfits.

• Reply Notes from Holly St. September 8, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Love this concept! Makes shopping and visualizing so much easier. And these colors are so beautiful. I’m going to check out her shop now!

• Reply Ashley @ LML September 8, 2011 at 7:27 pm

“Spring 2011” <– I was so confused until I remembered that Australia's climate is the opposite of ours! We'll have to wait until spring to see their fall line :)

• Reply Modern Country Style September 8, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Hi Holly,

I just wanted to tell you again that I LOVE your book and blog! Your posts come straight into my Favourites in my Google reader and I devour every one!

It’s been so lovely to hear your excitment about your book tour – that despite your huge success, it still gives you butterflies! That’s so gorgeous!

• Reply Rebecca September 8, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Such a good idea, online shopping can be so dull, its noce to see things in an actual setting so you can visualise it better in your own home!x

• Reply Punctuation Mark September 8, 2011 at 8:40 pm

this is amazing… i love everything is this post… the colors are sooooo beautiful!!!

• Reply tereza September 8, 2011 at 8:46 pm

wow how fun and cheerful!

• Reply Fiffiga Systrar September 8, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Wow! That is just great!! What a super-idea! I love the webshop!

THANK YOU for sharing!! The photos are wonderful!

Love Emelie & Elin

• Reply Miss Elleen September 8, 2011 at 11:20 pm

So bright so colorful so cute!!!!

• Reply Natasha Williams September 8, 2011 at 11:51 pm

WOW! Thanks for sharing Anna’s store and blog it’s very inspirational.

• Reply kathy weller September 8, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Yikes-that pink room is a riot of awesome. Lovely and bright spaces!!

• Reply Mar September 9, 2011 at 1:37 am

I love the wallpapers!!

Thanks you for all your work in the blog, I love the decoration and I’m allways using images as an inspiration for my illustrations!

• Reply Mamima September 9, 2011 at 1:42 am

All these things and colors look like springtime. Thanks for sharing the touch of Australian Springtime. In Portugal we are almost in the end of the Summer.

• Reply PAppel September 9, 2011 at 2:59 am

Want that bed and the red dresser to the right of the bed and the coverlet and the lamp with the colorful shade.

• Reply Lynne September 9, 2011 at 3:15 am

What a wonderful idea! Love it and Love love love all the color!

• Reply holly - livingston & porter September 9, 2011 at 3:54 am

Genius! Pure genius! Virtual shopping at its finest!
    La la love it!

• Reply Anna Spiro September 9, 2011 at 5:55 am

Thank you so much for this post Holly! You are amazing as always with your generous support!

• Reply Lelanie September 9, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Hey Holly,

I am so glad to see Anna’s work featured here. She is an amazing designer and so clever!

I actually feautured her last vignette sale on my blog.

It’s nice to see that she gets the exposute that she deserves.

PS- I jsut signed up for the blogging my way course this morning! I am super excited. :) (big smile)

Have a great weekend.

• Reply decor8 September 9, 2011 at 8:10 pm

@Lelanie – That’s great, see you in class!!! xo

• Reply Heather Davulcu September 9, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Oh so happy to see some COLOR! And pattern–so pretty & lively & happy! This post made me smile~

• Reply sylvie September 9, 2011 at 4:52 pm

superbes images !!!!
    la déco est magnifique !

• Reply Lauren @ Polka Dots & Sprinkles September 12, 2011 at 11:06 pm

I love love love this shop! What fantastic use of amazing colors! Very impressive! :)

• Reply Ana Vicky September 14, 2011 at 8:15 am

this is beautiful!

• Reply Caroline September 19, 2011 at 5:49 pm

This was the very first blog I found online about 4 years ago AND the reason I started blogging myself. Plus I have to say her style of decorating is so regocnizable. I had only seen the pictures and not read the copy yet and thought ‘hey, that looks just like Black and Spiro’. My sister lives in Brisbane now and I regret not being able to visit (pregnant and next year young baby). Otherwise I definately would have visited her shop.
    She also has a great guesthouse you can rent on one of the islands of the coast of Brisbane. Nice holiday tip!

• Reply Brett Bralley September 21, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Love this concept! And the color in these images is phenomenal.

• Reply Nathalie September 21, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Her window displays are so enticing. I wish we had a Black & Spiro in London. I’ll be keeping my eyes open for their new website -thanks for the tip!

• Reply yania mena October 21, 2013 at 7:11 am

Love the colors and the mixture of patterns!!