Disco Ball Interiors

You should be dancinnnn’ — yeah! You should be dancinnnnn’ yeah! (watch this clip for a little John Travolta action). I’ve been checking out the whole disco ball trend as it has rolled it’s way back into rooms over the part few years and especially now around the holidays I see them popping up more and more. Have you noticed? People seem to like them as ornaments on the tree or tiny ones piled into a bowl on a table as a little winter decoration… I’ve also spotted them on balconies (yes really!), in local restaurants, cafes, shop windows, as decoration on shelves and hanging from ceilings in some pretty cool homes in the magazines and books that I read. They are SUCH a fun and quirky addition to a home. Here are some great examples of how to add a disco ball to your interior to add just the right amount of imperfection without falling over the line into tacky, tasteless, ohmygoshwhatwereyouthinking… A little bit goes a long way…
Disco Balls

Disco Balls

Disco Balls

The key is moderation – especially when it comes to quirky things like a disco ball! Plus I think your room needs to lean on the eclectic side in the first place, or perhaps be a bit flea market style, feminine, boho modern or scandi modern. I don’t see a disco ball working in a very contemporary home because it would be out of place and I can’t see it in a country home with plaids and chintz or something extremely high end… unless you are Kelly Wearstler. I can see Kelly rockin’ a disco ball like nobody’s business.

Would you have a little Saturday Night Fever in your home? :)

Images: At Home Arkansas,Morten Holtum,Polly Wreford for Atlanta Bartlett, Confetti Garden, Livingetc.

Posted by decor8 in trends on October 31, 2011

1. iHanna commented
    October 31st, 2011 at 9:52pm

Awesome pictures! I sooo love the light of a swirling disco ball, though mine are tiny and hanging in the window… :-) I ♥ that they make the entire room full of light dots.

2. Claudia commented
    October 31st, 2011 at 9:54pm

Yes! Something right up in my alley. I bought a smaller, cheap one last year, but sadly because it was so cheap, it’s reflective powers left something to be desired. I would still love to own a better/bigger disco ball! It’s nice to see them popping up! :)

3. City Chic - Jamie commented
    October 31st, 2011 at 9:59pm

I love this look! Although I think my puppy would go crazy with the reflections – she’s crazy about light movement. But I’ll have to try to sneak in a few for our holiday displays and see if she can get used to it :)
    City Chic – Jamie´s last blog post ..Creative Gift Wrapping Class – join us!

4. tinajo commented
    October 31st, 2011 at 10:07pm

This is both fun and stylish! :-)
    tinajo´s last blog post ..Just passing by…

5. Meriem commented
    October 31st, 2011 at 10:36pm

Love the disco balls. Magnifique! I love the pink chair very much too. -Meriem in Paris

6. Jen from insideways commented
    October 31st, 2011 at 10:37pm

I love how these throw the room off just enough so you can imagine a really cool person lives there :)
    Jen from insideways´s last blog post ..31 Days: Day 31!

7. teresita commented
    October 31st, 2011 at 11:33pm

I specially like when natural light comes in the room over the ball…
    teresita´s last blog post ..simple belleza / simple beauty

8. Sarah Roads commented
    November 1st, 2011 at 12:00am

After seeing your book I put one in my fireplace with a mirror and I love it. In the morning the light hits it and its just spectacular. xo

9. decor8 commented
    November 1st, 2011 at 12:01am

@Sarah that is great! :) I had MAJOR disco fever when I was styling the rooms in Decorate – did you see the one I placed on the kid’s bed in the Wallpaper section of the book? You have to look closely. :)

10. Kathryn commented
    November 1st, 2011 at 2:14am

It’s certainly a groovy idea – can’t see it happening around my place though! Does that make me boring?!
    Kathryn´s last blog post ..A Sweet life – Agatha’s Naming Day

11. Heidi commented
    November 1st, 2011 at 2:39am

So funny, I just posted about disco balls yesterday! love them. must be the festive spirit in the air!

12. Jen Smith commented
    November 1st, 2011 at 2:45am

I love the wall paper in the last set of images on the left….do you know where I can get something like that?

Jen

13. KrisKeese commented
    November 1st, 2011 at 5:57am

I love the unexpectedness of the disco ball on the book shelf or on a table. It takes on a completely different look. I would love to see all that reflective light in my home.
    KrisKeese´s last blog post ..Exeter Fine Crafts

14. em commented
    November 1st, 2011 at 9:05am

I have one that a dear friend gave me for my birthday a few years back. I love it! I juts place in a basket on a small table up against the wall. I love it when I enter the room and the walls are filled with light dots because the sunlights are reflecting on the ball. This is kinda magic!

15. the chronic utilitarian commented
    November 1st, 2011 at 12:47pm

love these shots.
    have been waiting to uncover a disco ball in my searches.

so, YES!!!
    the chronic utilitarian´s last blog post ..dia de los muertos

16. Melissa de la Fuente commented
    November 1st, 2011 at 3:15pm

Yesssssssss! Yes, please! I missed my chance to pick up one at a flea market this summer….it was a good one too! Ack! :) No worries…I will prevail!
    Hope you are having a beautiful November 1st my dear! :)
    xoxo
    Melis
    Melissa de la Fuente´s last blog post ..Cheap & Chic

17. Nina commented
    November 1st, 2011 at 5:37pm

I love the photos and have to admit I’ve always had a little disco ball obsession. Really like the light reflections bouncing off of them. When I see the 2nd and last picture I want a bigger & better disco ball for myself!
    Nina´s last blog post ..happy halloween!

18. Iris commented
    November 1st, 2011 at 7:53pm

I bought one a few weeks ago and I placed it on top of a closet in my study. It makes me smile every time I see it. Boogie Wonderlaaaaaand!
    x Iris
    Iris´s last blog post ..Boys with toys

19. Renee commented
    November 1st, 2011 at 8:23pm

What is NOT to love about disco balls!!!
    Especially in your house – love it!
    Renee´s last blog post ..Are You Ready For A Little Hocus-Pocus???

20. Susan Hazel commented
    November 1st, 2011 at 9:06pm

Disco balls? I love it, especially the little flecks of light they reflect around the room. So pretty!
    Susan Hazel´s last blog post ..Ode to Rainbow – Green

21. Rebecca @ beautiful square feet commented
    November 1st, 2011 at 10:24pm

Oh my gosh – yes, especially if it made my room look like the one with the pink chair in it! Lovely photos – thanks for sharing!
    Rebecca @ beautiful square feet´s last blog post ..A cosy landing at last!

22. Jenny commented
    November 2nd, 2011 at 2:27pm

Absolutly! My old discoball from my youth is now on display in our vintage cabinet for books… :) My inspiration was your lovely book!

23. Meghan @ Wishful Thinking commented
    November 2nd, 2011 at 3:29pm

Now this is definitely a trend I can get on board with! My bf thinks the idea is totally nuts so I am thinking of introducing them in small doses – maybe as Christmas decorations on the tree!?
    Meghan @ Wishful Thinking´s last blog post ..Lighthouse Dreams

24. Kate commented
    November 2nd, 2011 at 11:45pm

Oh, wow ! I So love all of these photos, especially the top two – all that white with a little disco flair – Love! Great finds :)

Kate
    Kate´s last blog post ..oh, you agian?

25. Juliet commented
    November 3rd, 2011 at 1:57am

I’m really surprised by how much l like them! Yes, the sunshine making all the reflections is my favorite too.
    Juliet´s last blog post ..“Way Past Wonderful”

26. Trina commented
    November 3rd, 2011 at 5:59am

I have loved the disco ball look ever since I saw Atlanta Bartlett use it in her book….and I was over the moon when I found one at a flea market. It now happily resides in my daughters room! xo Trina

27. Diane@At Home in Arkansas commented
    November 3rd, 2011 at 2:01pm

i think they’re super fun in kid’s spaces especially, makes you want to walk in and dance with them!
    thanks for sharing the pretty pink girl’s room from our pages w your readers.

28. Anna commented
    November 3rd, 2011 at 3:22pm

I love this! I have been wanting a disco ball in my appartment for ever!!! Now I know that I have to get one right now.
    Anna´s last blog post ..Minimal

29. Ann commented
    November 3rd, 2011 at 3:55pm

I think everyone should have a disco ball somewhere in their life! It’s such an easy way to make you smile everyday!

30. homestilo commented
    November 4th, 2011 at 8:40pm

Currently listening to Wednesday’s podcast (byw) and just had to come see this post- great images and inspiration. I am loving this trend!

31. Wendy commented
    November 7th, 2011 at 6:22am

I love it.Awesome pictures.

32. Helen commented
    November 7th, 2011 at 6:49pm

I love this. Awesome photos, and what better star of the show than the disco ball. I love the contrast with the natural furnishings, great looks. You may have caused a surge in the demand for disco balls.

33. Nicole commented
    December 28th, 2011 at 1:21am

ohhhh sweet Holly! i adore your blog & admire you so. and what’s more fun than a disco ball? love it! thank you so much for featuring our mantel. oxo