Disco Ball Interiors

October 31, 2011

You should be dancinnnn’ — yeah! You should be dancinnnnn’ yeah! (watch this clip for a little John Travolta action). I’ve been checking out the whole disco ball trend as it has rolled it’s way back into rooms over the part few years and especially now around the holidays I see them popping up more and more. Have you noticed? People seem to like them as ornaments on the tree or tiny ones piled into a bowl on a table as a little winter decoration… I’ve also spotted them on balconies (yes really!), in local restaurants, cafes, shop windows, as decoration on shelves and hanging from ceilings in some pretty cool homes in the magazines and books that I read. They are SUCH a fun and quirky addition to a home. Here are some great examples of how to add a disco ball to your interior to add just the right amount of imperfection without falling over the line into tacky, tasteless, ohmygoshwhatwereyouthinking… A little bit goes a long way…
Disco Ball Interiors

Disco Ball Interiors

Disco Ball Interiors

The key is moderation – especially when it comes to quirky things like a disco ball! Plus I think your room needs to lean on the eclectic side in the first place, or perhaps be a bit flea market style, feminine, boho modern or scandi modern. I don’t see a disco ball working in a very contemporary home because it would be out of place and I can’t see it in a country home with plaids and chintz or something extremely high end… unless you are Kelly Wearstler. I can see Kelly rockin’ a disco ball like nobody’s business.

Would you have a little Saturday Night Fever in your home? :)

Images: At Home Arkansas,Morten Holtum,Polly Wreford for Atlanta Bartlett, Confetti Garden, Livingetc.

You Might Also Like

• Reply iHanna October 31, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Awesome pictures! I sooo love the light of a swirling disco ball, though mine are tiny and hanging in the window… :-) I ♥ that they make the entire room full of light dots.

• Reply Claudia October 31, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Yes! Something right up in my alley. I bought a smaller, cheap one last year, but sadly because it was so cheap, it’s reflective powers left something to be desired. I would still love to own a better/bigger disco ball! It’s nice to see them popping up! :)

• Reply City Chic - Jamie October 31, 2011 at 9:59 pm

I love this look! Although I think my puppy would go crazy with the reflections – she’s crazy about light movement. But I’ll have to try to sneak in a few for our holiday displays and see if she can get used to it :)

• Reply tinajo October 31, 2011 at 10:07 pm

This is both fun and stylish! :-)

• Reply Meriem October 31, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Love the disco balls. Magnifique! I love the pink chair very much too. -Meriem in Paris

• Reply Jen from insideways October 31, 2011 at 10:37 pm

I love how these throw the room off just enough so you can imagine a really cool person lives there :)

• Reply teresita October 31, 2011 at 11:33 pm

I specially like when natural light comes in the room over the ball…

• Reply Sarah Roads November 1, 2011 at 12:00 am

After seeing your book I put one in my fireplace with a mirror and I love it. In the morning the light hits it and its just spectacular. xo

• Reply decor8 November 1, 2011 at 12:01 am

@Sarah that is great! :) I had MAJOR disco fever when I was styling the rooms in Decorate – did you see the one I placed on the kid’s bed in the Wallpaper section of the book? You have to look closely. :)

• Reply Kathryn November 1, 2011 at 2:14 am

It’s certainly a groovy idea – can’t see it happening around my place though! Does that make me boring?!

• Reply Heidi November 1, 2011 at 2:39 am

So funny, I just posted about disco balls yesterday! love them. must be the festive spirit in the air!

• Reply Jen Smith November 1, 2011 at 2:45 am

I love the wall paper in the last set of images on the left….do you know where I can get something like that?

• Reply KrisKeese November 1, 2011 at 5:57 am

I love the unexpectedness of the disco ball on the book shelf or on a table. It takes on a completely different look. I would love to see all that reflective light in my home.

• Reply em November 1, 2011 at 9:05 am

I have one that a dear friend gave me for my birthday a few years back. I love it! I juts place in a basket on a small table up against the wall. I love it when I enter the room and the walls are filled with light dots because the sunlights are reflecting on the ball. This is kinda magic!

• Reply the chronic utilitarian November 1, 2011 at 12:47 pm

love these shots.
    have been waiting to uncover a disco ball in my searches.

so, YES!!!

• Reply Melissa de la Fuente November 1, 2011 at 3:15 pm

Yesssssssss! Yes, please! I missed my chance to pick up one at a flea market this summer….it was a good one too! Ack! :) No worries…I will prevail!
    Hope you are having a beautiful November 1st my dear! :)

• Reply Nina November 1, 2011 at 5:37 pm

I love the photos and have to admit I’ve always had a little disco ball obsession. Really like the light reflections bouncing off of them. When I see the 2nd and last picture I want a bigger & better disco ball for myself!

• Reply Iris November 1, 2011 at 7:53 pm

I bought one a few weeks ago and I placed it on top of a closet in my study. It makes me smile every time I see it. Boogie Wonderlaaaaaand!
    x Iris

• Reply Renee November 1, 2011 at 8:23 pm

What is NOT to love about disco balls!!!
    Especially in your house – love it!

• Reply Susan Hazel November 1, 2011 at 9:06 pm

Disco balls? I love it, especially the little flecks of light they reflect around the room. So pretty!

• Reply Rebecca @ beautiful square feet November 1, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Oh my gosh – yes, especially if it made my room look like the one with the pink chair in it! Lovely photos – thanks for sharing!

• Reply Jenny November 2, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Absolutly! My old discoball from my youth is now on display in our vintage cabinet for books… :) My inspiration was your lovely book!

• Reply Meghan @ Wishful Thinking November 2, 2011 at 3:29 pm

Now this is definitely a trend I can get on board with! My bf thinks the idea is totally nuts so I am thinking of introducing them in small doses – maybe as Christmas decorations on the tree!?

• Reply Kate November 2, 2011 at 11:45 pm

Oh, wow ! I So love all of these photos, especially the top two – all that white with a little disco flair – Love! Great finds :)

• Reply Juliet November 3, 2011 at 1:57 am

I’m really surprised by how much l like them! Yes, the sunshine making all the reflections is my favorite too.

• Reply Trina November 3, 2011 at 5:59 am

I have loved the disco ball look ever since I saw Atlanta Bartlett use it in her book….and I was over the moon when I found one at a flea market. It now happily resides in my daughters room! xo Trina

• Reply Diane@At Home in Arkansas November 3, 2011 at 2:01 pm

i think they’re super fun in kid’s spaces especially, makes you want to walk in and dance with them!
    thanks for sharing the pretty pink girl’s room from our pages w your readers.

• Reply Anna November 3, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I love this! I have been wanting a disco ball in my appartment for ever!!! Now I know that I have to get one right now.

• Reply Ann November 3, 2011 at 3:55 pm

I think everyone should have a disco ball somewhere in their life! It’s such an easy way to make you smile everyday!

• Reply homestilo November 4, 2011 at 8:40 pm

Currently listening to Wednesday’s podcast (byw) and just had to come see this post- great images and inspiration. I am loving this trend!

• Reply Wendy November 7, 2011 at 6:22 am

I love it.Awesome pictures.

• Reply Helen November 7, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I love this. Awesome photos, and what better star of the show than the disco ball. I love the contrast with the natural furnishings, great looks. You may have caused a surge in the demand for disco balls.

• Reply Nicole December 28, 2011 at 1:21 am

ohhhh sweet Holly! i adore your blog & admire you so. and what’s more fun than a disco ball? love it! thank you so much for featuring our mantel. oxo