Sweet William: New Prints

I’ve talked about Sweet William before since I’ve been a fan for quite awhile… I guess that’s why I perked up when I noticed a bit of a new direction in their recent work and felt incredibly inspired by it! I admire designers and artists who experiment outside of their comfort zone (and of that of their clients) and like this fresh look into the creative mind of Sweet William. They’re not changing their overall aesthetic at all, but they did just add-in a couple of new archival quality prints of paintings that are a bit different from all of their other things. And I like it…

Sweet William Prints

Sweet William Prints

I think it is daring and needed (for our own sanity!) at times to break things up. What do you think? Most artist reps out there would frown on my opinion and I can see why as one does need to be consistent and marketable with their vision and work to stay afloat, BUT I still applaud it when creatives allow themselves space and freedom to experiment and evolve.

When money enters the room, we tend to stick to creating what sells and forget the fact that we began as a creator, as an artist, and that we owe it to ourselves to let our passion and vision come before money and fame. I am such a believer in this.

I think these prints are great – nice work, Sweet William!

(images: sweet william)

Posted by decor8 in Arts + Crafts on November 17, 2011

1. Heather commented
    November 17th, 2011 at 4:03pm

I like the prints too. I know that as an art director, it’s helpful to see a cohesive portfolio. Sometimes artists will develop two portfolios, or “looks” to separate their styles while marketing their artwork.
    Heather´s last blog post ..I’ve never had so much fun in a box!

2. Igor commented
    November 17th, 2011 at 4:53pm

I spent some time today in his Etsy shop. Such lovely prints. I might get some for Xmas!!
    Igor´s last blog post ..Yellow Fellow!

3. Lindsay @ A Walk in the Closet commented
    November 17th, 2011 at 5:05pm

Lovely prints! They look beautiful in the simple black gallery frames. Thanks for writing about Sweet William. Off to their website now to look at some more. : )
    Lindsay @ A Walk in the Closet´s last blog post ..REVIEW: Urban Decay Supercurl Curling Mascara in Black

4. decor8 commented
    November 17th, 2011 at 5:46pm

@Igor – Hello Liebe Igor — Sweet William is actually two women. I know, confusing!!!! :) :) :)

5. rona commented
    November 17th, 2011 at 5:58pm

Great post. Just what I needed to hear today. Thank you!

6. Alanna commented
    November 17th, 2011 at 6:06pm

Holy goodness! These are great and after browsing the etsy shop, I am fully in love.

What stunning style, just so pretty all around. There just has to be somewhere in my apartment where these will work.
    Alanna´s last blog post ..Let’s call it being prepared.

7. Denise commented
    November 17th, 2011 at 6:10pm

I couldn’t agree with you more. As an artist I like to experiment with different styles and mediums, and I know that hurts me when it comes to selling and branding, because I’m kind of all over the place. But for me it’s the creating that is most important.

8. KAAM commented
    November 17th, 2011 at 6:23pm

Lovely prints and such a great styling!
    KAAM´s last blog post ..d.i.y tealight

9. anastasia commented
    November 17th, 2011 at 9:53pm

i love their designs!! its a gorgeous etsy shop – clever sister duo!

10. Gramercy Home commented
    November 17th, 2011 at 9:58pm

Love!! Glad to know about these.

11. jenny+gra commented
    November 17th, 2011 at 11:12pm

Beautiful interior and colours!
    I’m always afraid of using red at home, but this sample is a revelation!
    jenny+gra´s last blog post ..FLEA MARKET STUFF

12. liz commented
    November 18th, 2011 at 12:42am

I love the interior almost as much as the prints! Such a great job with styling.

13. Erin commented
    November 18th, 2011 at 6:55am

I had previously purchased 2 prints from this store at a craft show here in Sydney, but thanks to your post reminding me of them, I just purchased another print and an a3 poster. Already got an email to say it has been shipped, fantastic turnaround time but I guess it helps when you are in the say time zone!

14. Judy commented
    November 18th, 2011 at 7:47am

Love your blog ! Great work here…

15. Mia commented
    November 18th, 2011 at 5:34pm

Really like them, and so affordable!
    Love the room the shot is in too…

16. paula Mills commented
    November 20th, 2011 at 4:51am

Hi Holly
    Thank you for the feature and the wise words, so very true. I felt nervous putting this work up but thrilled at the same time! Thank you to everyone who commented on my prints, all very encouraging. Glad everyone likes my lounge room too! Paula (Sweet William)
    paula Mills´s last blog post ..Crazy busy times!

17. Seventeendoors commented
    November 20th, 2011 at 11:43am

Nice prints, but the fire place and the styling.. love it!!

18. Kinga commented
    November 20th, 2011 at 3:43pm

LOVE these…I like the slight departure…it does break things up a bit and that’s nice…

19. leah of sang the bird commented
    November 21st, 2011 at 5:26am

Holly, I love Paula’s art. So great that such amazing aritists are being showcased on such an amazing platform.
    leah of sang the bird´s last blog post ..lovely spaces…