Gift Wrapping Ideas

Hello everyone! I’ve been out and about today and enjoyed it so much! It felt good to get my errands done but above all, to connect with a very good friend of mine and to go shopping together in her store! Fun! I found some great Danish clothes and a pretty dress that I will wear to Berlin on Friday. It’s always so nice to be with a sweet girlfriend – so energizing!

Color Me Pretty

I came home home with sweaters, shirts, knee socks, leggings and a dress – and that post-shopping guilt, “Oh dear, I exceeded my shopping budget for like five years!”. But they I realized that I did need the clothing but that I also supported two shop owners today who have sweet stores that they love and manage with such care – that really means something to me more and more. It’s also a great way to ease the guilt (wink). As I was wrapping (and unwrapping!) myself in clothes all afternoon, I started to think about gift wrapping in general because that’s all I see in stores everywhere right now – Christmas things. I thought it may be helpful to you to round up a bit of a best of series for you now featuring some of the most beautifully wrapped presents that decor8 contributor, photographer and stylist Leslie Shewring, has shown over the past few years.

Try neon colors, paper doilies and baker’s twine…

Color Me Pretty

Use watercolors to paint your own gift wrap. Add sequins to a simple white gift tag.

Gift Wrapping

Try different textures, velvet ribbon is nice.

Color Me Pretty: August

A natural touch is always nice.

More watercolors in geometric shapes to dress up plain white paper.

Kraft paper in brown with simple touches goes a long way.

Gift Wrapping
Experiment with Japanese washi tape (masking tape).

Combine a punch of your favorite shape (butterfly, tree, snowflake) and paper that you love to create a gift tag using a little glue.

Color Me Pretty: Orchard Inspiration

Coffee filters, why not, right!?

More watercolors on white tags that you can buy in packs from a store like Staples.

Gift Wrapping

Less traditional ways to wrap gifts – from tea tins to a stack of books tied together with ribbon and topped with a handmade greeting.

And speaking of gifts, this little post is my gift to you today and perhaps it has inspired and delighted you. I hope so! A special thanks to Leslie for all of her inspiration over the years!

(images: leslie shewring)

Posted by decor8 in inspiration on November 22, 2011

1. Zane commented
    November 22nd, 2011 at 8:05pm

cute ideas
    Zane´s last blog post ..This world ain’t simple

2. Rosie Grey commented
    November 22nd, 2011 at 8:07pm

Thanks so much for sharing those wonderful ideas! I can’t wait to try a few of them!
    Rosie Grey´s last blog post ..Something Warm

3. Jem commented
    November 22nd, 2011 at 8:09pm

I think twine and doilies or paper snowflakes as gift tags are going to be my accessories of choice to go with my kraft paper wrap this year. Although I picked up some red and green used stamps too.

Really love the neon tape!!
    Jem´s last blog post ..Wordless

4. tinajo commented
    November 22nd, 2011 at 8:12pm

Thanks – this inspiration is just what I needed in this season of wrapping..! :-)
    tinajo´s last blog post ..Time for light…

5. Alice commented
    November 22nd, 2011 at 8:20pm

Thank you for this pretty ideas! My favorite is the first one with neon colors and paper doilies :-)
    Alice
    Alice´s last blog post ..Et même mardi!

6. Happy Wife commented
    November 22nd, 2011 at 8:26pm

You have some seriously wonderful skills… and such an eye for beauty!!
    Always love your work!
    xoxo
    Happy Wife´s last blog post ..Rainy Day Smiles

7. Heather commented
    November 22nd, 2011 at 8:31pm

Just lovely as usual! I’m on a lavender kick at the moment so I’m loving that. I think the hand-painted gift tags and wrapping paper are great ideas!
    Heather´s last blog post ..Kitchen-spiration or Don’t Fear Color

8. Ege Denne commented
    November 22nd, 2011 at 8:42pm

:) I favour that paper we wrap food in, for lunch… You can see through it butI love it.
    Ege Denne´s last blog post ..Soldråpe – Erik Kjøsen

9. Claire Hughes commented
    November 22nd, 2011 at 8:44pm

Love the gift wrapping ideas Holly, but where’s the piccie of your new dress? Come on, you can’t tease us like that…. ;-)

10. Marie @ Sally Lee by the Sea commented
    November 22nd, 2011 at 9:27pm

Great post – I love using Kraft paper with embellishments. I hadn’t thought about watercolor on gift tags – great idea too.

Happy Thanksgiving!
    Marie @ Sally Lee by the Sea´s last blog post ..Adorable Cottage? Nope, It’s An Apartment!

11. Annie commented
    November 22nd, 2011 at 9:39pm

Did you go shopping in Munich? Next week, I’ll be in Munich for a day or two and would love to visit some new stores.

Thanks.

12. Nines commented
    November 22nd, 2011 at 9:42pm

Ooooh! It’s so pretty!!!

Thanks for share it. Thnssss!!!

Regards.

13. Momographica commented
    November 22nd, 2011 at 10:21pm

I loved, loved this post! Such good ideas before Christmas :)
    Have fun in Berlin! :)

Barbara
    Momographica´s last blog post ..Creative Blogger Weekly 4

14. Anette commented
    November 22nd, 2011 at 10:34pm

Dear Holly, fabulous ideas! Thanks so much – I am wondering if you ever put together a list of your favorite shops in Hannover???
    Due to some appointments I will visit Hannover more often in the next months and would love to check out the shopping…
    Anette
    Anette´s last blog post ..Cold and flu fighting chili elexir

15. Nuit commented
    November 22nd, 2011 at 11:26pm

i love all of these Holly! especially the coffee filters idea :D so rad! x
    Nuit´s last blog post ..Poison Ivy

16. Emily S. commented
    November 22nd, 2011 at 11:47pm

These are such beautiful ideas! Thanks for sharing… I love the coffee filters! So easy, cheap, and lovely!
    Emily S.´s last blog post ..Do you know how to shop for clothes online?

17. Kristina Gulino commented
    November 23rd, 2011 at 12:35am

Ayyy buyer’s remorse always gets me! I think that’s why I am such a sale-shopper. Anyways, darling gift wrapping – I am totally keeping this in mind for gifts this year! Thanks!

Kristina Gulino
    Something 2 Write About

18. Emily @ Little Bits of Delight commented
    November 23rd, 2011 at 1:08am

I love the coffee filter idea! I’ve used newspaper, the inside of shopping bags, and old (particularly pretty) calendar pages before, but never coffee filters!
    Emily @ Little Bits of Delight´s last blog post ..Imagine If – Betsy’s Console

19. Fran commented
    November 23rd, 2011 at 3:36am

very nice ideas! :) thank you for sharing! :)

20. Kinga commented
    November 23rd, 2011 at 4:26am

Love that Kraft paper…I keep a gigantic roll of it in my studio and use it for everything…especially as gift wrap…
    Kinga´s last blog post ..Picture postcard…{3}

21. Handmade in Israel commented
    November 23rd, 2011 at 6:49am

Stunning wrapping ideas here! I love the butterfly tags. I hope you enjoy your purchases.
    Handmade in Israel´s last blog post ..A Little Something Sweet

22. Judy commented
    November 23rd, 2011 at 6:50am

Super ideas~I love your kraft paper ideas~Cute and I feel it is really worth to collecting~LOVE
    Judy´s last blog post ..Unique bookshelf themed wall sticker

23. fenny setiawan commented
    November 23rd, 2011 at 7:50am

This is exactly what I need :). I am preparing for Christmas gift for dear friends and loves ones, wrapping them in pretty wraps will be a very sweet touch. Thanks for sharing this wonderful idea yet very easy to do it :).
    fenny setiawan´s last blog post ..Thanks giving tableware ideas

24. Nat @ Dear Little House commented
    November 23rd, 2011 at 8:17am

Some amazing gift wrapping ideas! I just posted a gift tag tutorial over on my blog :)
    Nat @ Dear Little House´s last blog post ..Precious hand printed gift tags.

25. Jenni commented
    November 23rd, 2011 at 10:13am

When do we get to see pictures of your new outfits? ;)
    Jenni´s last blog post ..Holiday Art Show Event Schedule!

26. Kind Designs commented
    November 23rd, 2011 at 11:40am

Absolutely love the brown parcel paper ideas – looks so effective and different! I am now searching the house for craft bits and bobs to put to good use!

27. Ana Sofia Santos commented
    November 23rd, 2011 at 11:59am

I feel like this is a Bonus at the right time! Great tips for wrapping presents for this Christmas.
    I just love Leslie’s work. She inspires me so much!!!
    I specially like the idea of the Kraft paper, because it’s so easy and gives you so many possibilities.
    I also love the combination of white and light blue and those heart shaped tags!
    Ana Sofia Santos´s last blog post ..Pink and Red Girly Party

28. Nicole commented
    November 23rd, 2011 at 1:30pm

Oh these are so beautiful! Great ideas. I am definitely putting the coffee filters on my list for wrapping ideas :)

Sometimes I use a really spread from a magazine to wrap my gifts. After running out of wrapping paper one year, I found it to be a really awesome alternative.

Best!
    Nicole

29. Splendidlywendy commented
    November 23rd, 2011 at 7:24pm

Thanks so much for sharing Holly! (And Leslie :) I’ve been thinking about going “all out” on my wrapping this year b/c I know it will make everyone so happy & get my creative juices flowing. Thanks for all the ideas!

30. Linda commented
    November 24th, 2011 at 7:36am

fab ideas….how can anybody have so many lovely creative ideas for gift wrapping??? amazing.

31. Sara commented
    November 24th, 2011 at 7:41am

What lovely, pretty, and inspiring wrapping ideas! Thanks for sharing :)

32. Mary Rose commented
    November 24th, 2011 at 3:20pm

Brilliant use of coffee filters! We definitely think to look around and search for new options and privilege materials we already own or have used before. And clearly it can look AS great or even better!!

Thx for sharing. Looking fw to try a few ideas.

33. Charissa - The Gifted Blog commented
    November 25th, 2011 at 3:15am

What amazing work Leslie does! I write a blog on gift wrapping and these images are truly refreshing. I wonder if the geometric prints are perhaps stamped and not watercolored? At any rate, bravo! I think my readers would be so inspired by these.

34. Asis commented
    November 25th, 2011 at 7:34am

I always like the arcive products like toys , soft toys, picture, artificial flower etc. And its wrapping idea is also nice.
    Asis´s last blog post ..veterinary medicine

35. Jamie says dream commented
    November 25th, 2011 at 8:11am

Very nice gift wrapping ideas!
    Jamie says dream´s last blog post ..First of Advent weekend

36. Leen commented
    November 25th, 2011 at 11:06am

they are all soo cute!

37. Pooja commented
    November 29th, 2011 at 12:03pm

These are the beautiful expression of kind thoughts – a simple gift has the power to bring a smile to the face of a loved one and the happiness lingers on long after the bows and wrapping is discarded.

38. Joan Schnee - On Paper commented
    November 30th, 2011 at 9:54pm

Beautiful ideas!

We are a paper store in Ohio and we love to embellish gift wrap with an “add-on” secured in to the ribbon- berries, feathers, felt flowers and even a traditional glass ornament work beautifully. A gift within a gift!

Also- turn to Japan for inspiration- they are the masters! Simple lace papers, ginwashi and yuzen papers add festivity to most wraps and are a perfect way to celebrate the season!

39. Beth commented
    December 1st, 2011 at 4:54pm

Where is that beautiful tea cup from? I love it!

40. sarah commented
    December 2nd, 2011 at 10:23am

I love those butterflies! How adorable. Such great ideas for the holiday season.
    sarah´s last blog post ..European Vegetarian Hotspots

41. Ciara Barsotti commented
    December 23rd, 2011 at 4:59pm

I featured part of this post on my blog! Hope you don’t mind. =)

42. JoyHey commented
    January 21st, 2012 at 12:41am

So sweet! I love Leslie’s crafty ideas!

43. hanaa commented
    July 23rd, 2012 at 5:32pm

please if i told you that i need help and advise from you wrapping my gift whould you help me-i will told you what my gift and the paper ,the colors and every thing but i am bad at wrapping and how-