November 22, 2011

Hello everyone! I’ve been out and about today and enjoyed it so much! It felt good to get my errands done but above all, to connect with a very good friend of mine and to go shopping together in her store! Fun! I found some great Danish clothes and a pretty dress that I will wear to Berlin on Friday. It’s always so nice to be with a sweet girlfriend – so energizing!

Gift Wrapping Ideas

I came home home with sweaters, shirts, knee socks, leggings and a dress – and that post-shopping guilt, “Oh dear, I exceeded my shopping budget for like five years!”. But they I realized that I did need the clothing but that I also supported two shop owners today who have sweet stores that they love and manage with such care – that really means something to me more and more. It’s also a great way to ease the guilt (wink). As I was wrapping (and unwrapping!) myself in clothes all afternoon, I started to think about gift wrapping in general because that’s all I see in stores everywhere right now – Christmas things. I thought it may be helpful to you to round up a bit of a best of series for you now featuring some of the most beautifully wrapped presents that decor8 contributor, photographer and stylist Leslie Shewring, has shown over the past few years.

Gift Wrapping Ideas

Try neon colors, paper doilies and baker’s twine…

Gift Wrapping Ideas

Use watercolors to paint your own gift wrap. Add sequins to a simple white gift tag.

Gift Wrapping Ideas

Try different textures, velvet ribbon is nice.

Gift Wrapping Ideas

A natural touch is always nice.

Gift Wrapping Ideas

More watercolors in geometric shapes to dress up plain white paper.

Gift Wrapping Ideas

Kraft paper in brown with simple touches goes a long way.

Gift Wrapping Ideas
Experiment with Japanese washi tape (masking tape).

Gift Wrapping Ideas

Combine a punch of your favorite shape (butterfly, tree, snowflake) and paper that you love to create a gift tag using a little glue.

Gift Wrapping Ideas

Coffee filters, why not, right!?

Gift Wrapping Ideas

More watercolors on white tags that you can buy in packs from a store like Staples.

Gift Wrapping Ideas

Less traditional ways to wrap gifts – from tea tins to a stack of books tied together with ribbon and topped with a handmade greeting.

And speaking of gifts, this little post is my gift to you today and perhaps it has inspired and delighted you. I hope so! A special thanks to Leslie for all of her inspiration over the years!

(images: leslie shewring)

You Might Also Like

• Reply Zane November 22, 2011 at 8:05 pm

cute ideas

• Reply Rosie Grey November 22, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Thanks so much for sharing those wonderful ideas! I can’t wait to try a few of them!

• Reply Jem November 22, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I think twine and doilies or paper snowflakes as gift tags are going to be my accessories of choice to go with my kraft paper wrap this year. Although I picked up some red and green used stamps too.

Really love the neon tape!!

• Reply tinajo November 22, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Thanks – this inspiration is just what I needed in this season of wrapping..! :-)

• Reply Alice November 22, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Thank you for this pretty ideas! My favorite is the first one with neon colors and paper doilies :-)

• Reply Happy Wife November 22, 2011 at 8:26 pm

You have some seriously wonderful skills… and such an eye for beauty!!
    Always love your work!

• Reply Heather November 22, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Just lovely as usual! I’m on a lavender kick at the moment so I’m loving that. I think the hand-painted gift tags and wrapping paper are great ideas!

• Reply Ege Denne November 22, 2011 at 8:42 pm

:) I favour that paper we wrap food in, for lunch… You can see through it butI love it.

• Reply Claire Hughes November 22, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Love the gift wrapping ideas Holly, but where’s the piccie of your new dress? Come on, you can’t tease us like that…. ;-)

• Reply Marie @ Sally Lee by the Sea November 22, 2011 at 9:27 pm

Great post – I love using Kraft paper with embellishments. I hadn’t thought about watercolor on gift tags – great idea too.

Happy Thanksgiving!

• Reply Annie November 22, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Did you go shopping in Munich? Next week, I’ll be in Munich for a day or two and would love to visit some new stores.

• Reply Nines November 22, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Ooooh! It’s so pretty!!!

Thanks for share it. Thnssss!!!

• Reply Momographica November 22, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I loved, loved this post! Such good ideas before Christmas :)
    Have fun in Berlin! :)

• Reply Anette November 22, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Dear Holly, fabulous ideas! Thanks so much – I am wondering if you ever put together a list of your favorite shops in Hannover???
    Due to some appointments I will visit Hannover more often in the next months and would love to check out the shopping…

• Reply Nuit November 22, 2011 at 11:26 pm

i love all of these Holly! especially the coffee filters idea :D so rad! x

• Reply Emily S. November 22, 2011 at 11:47 pm

These are such beautiful ideas! Thanks for sharing… I love the coffee filters! So easy, cheap, and lovely!

• Reply Kristina Gulino November 23, 2011 at 12:35 am

Ayyy buyer’s remorse always gets me! I think that’s why I am such a sale-shopper. Anyways, darling gift wrapping – I am totally keeping this in mind for gifts this year! Thanks!

Kristina Gulino
    Something 2 Write About

• Reply Emily @ Little Bits of Delight November 23, 2011 at 1:08 am

I love the coffee filter idea! I’ve used newspaper, the inside of shopping bags, and old (particularly pretty) calendar pages before, but never coffee filters!

• Reply Fran November 23, 2011 at 3:36 am

very nice ideas! :) thank you for sharing! :)

• Reply Kinga November 23, 2011 at 4:26 am

Love that Kraft paper…I keep a gigantic roll of it in my studio and use it for everything…especially as gift wrap…

• Reply Handmade in Israel November 23, 2011 at 6:49 am

Stunning wrapping ideas here! I love the butterfly tags. I hope you enjoy your purchases.

• Reply Judy November 23, 2011 at 6:50 am

Super ideas~I love your kraft paper ideas~Cute and I feel it is really worth to collecting~LOVE

• Reply fenny setiawan November 23, 2011 at 7:50 am

This is exactly what I need :). I am preparing for Christmas gift for dear friends and loves ones, wrapping them in pretty wraps will be a very sweet touch. Thanks for sharing this wonderful idea yet very easy to do it :).

• Reply Nat @ Dear Little House November 23, 2011 at 8:17 am

Some amazing gift wrapping ideas! I just posted a gift tag tutorial over on my blog :)

• Reply Jenni November 23, 2011 at 10:13 am

When do we get to see pictures of your new outfits? ;)

• Reply Kind Designs November 23, 2011 at 11:40 am

Absolutely love the brown parcel paper ideas – looks so effective and different! I am now searching the house for craft bits and bobs to put to good use!

• Reply Ana Sofia Santos November 23, 2011 at 11:59 am

I feel like this is a Bonus at the right time! Great tips for wrapping presents for this Christmas.
    I just love Leslie’s work. She inspires me so much!!!
    I specially like the idea of the Kraft paper, because it’s so easy and gives you so many possibilities.
    I also love the combination of white and light blue and those heart shaped tags!

• Reply Nicole November 23, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Oh these are so beautiful! Great ideas. I am definitely putting the coffee filters on my list for wrapping ideas :)

Sometimes I use a really spread from a magazine to wrap my gifts. After running out of wrapping paper one year, I found it to be a really awesome alternative.

• Reply Splendidlywendy November 23, 2011 at 7:24 pm

Thanks so much for sharing Holly! (And Leslie :) I’ve been thinking about going “all out” on my wrapping this year b/c I know it will make everyone so happy & get my creative juices flowing. Thanks for all the ideas!

• Reply Linda November 24, 2011 at 7:36 am

fab ideas….how can anybody have so many lovely creative ideas for gift wrapping??? amazing.

• Reply Sara November 24, 2011 at 7:41 am

What lovely, pretty, and inspiring wrapping ideas! Thanks for sharing :)

• Reply Mary Rose November 24, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Brilliant use of coffee filters! We definitely think to look around and search for new options and privilege materials we already own or have used before. And clearly it can look AS great or even better!!

Thx for sharing. Looking fw to try a few ideas.

• Reply Charissa - The Gifted Blog November 25, 2011 at 3:15 am

What amazing work Leslie does! I write a blog on gift wrapping and these images are truly refreshing. I wonder if the geometric prints are perhaps stamped and not watercolored? At any rate, bravo! I think my readers would be so inspired by these.

• Reply Asis November 25, 2011 at 7:34 am

I always like the arcive products like toys , soft toys, picture, artificial flower etc. And its wrapping idea is also nice.

• Reply Jamie says dream November 25, 2011 at 8:11 am

Very nice gift wrapping ideas!

• Reply Leen November 25, 2011 at 11:06 am

they are all soo cute!

• Reply Pooja November 29, 2011 at 12:03 pm

These are the beautiful expression of kind thoughts – a simple gift has the power to bring a smile to the face of a loved one and the happiness lingers on long after the bows and wrapping is discarded.

• Reply Joan Schnee - On Paper November 30, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Beautiful ideas!

We are a paper store in Ohio and we love to embellish gift wrap with an “add-on” secured in to the ribbon- berries, feathers, felt flowers and even a traditional glass ornament work beautifully. A gift within a gift!

Also- turn to Japan for inspiration- they are the masters! Simple lace papers, ginwashi and yuzen papers add festivity to most wraps and are a perfect way to celebrate the season!

• Reply Beth December 1, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Where is that beautiful tea cup from? I love it!

• Reply sarah December 2, 2011 at 10:23 am

I love those butterflies! How adorable. Such great ideas for the holiday season.

• Reply Ciara Barsotti December 23, 2011 at 4:59 pm

I featured part of this post on my blog! Hope you don’t mind. =)

• Reply JoyHey January 21, 2012 at 12:41 am

So sweet! I love Leslie’s crafty ideas!

• Reply hanaa July 23, 2012 at 5:32 pm

please if i told you that i need help and advise from you wrapping my gift whould you help me-i will told you what my gift and the paper ,the colors and every thing but i am bad at wrapping and how-

• Reply Lata Tokhi December 11, 2014 at 11:25 am

Brilliant ideas! Love the crochet doilies on Kraft paper :)
    Just did a post on eco-friendly gift wrapping ideas myself